[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need your help /tg/, my players are going to travel to a haunted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 18

I need your help /tg/, my players are going to travel to a haunted asylum this Saturday and I got literally no idea how to make this a horror themed dungeon

Here is some info about the party and what is currently going on

3.5/house-ruled setting, party is currently level 8 and is composed of:
Two elves, empatic twins, a male (warriror) and a female (wizard)
Another warrior, a female dwarf
A barbarian goliath
A hobbit cleric (has alchemy as profession so he also makes healing pots)
And a totally not batman-eske human rogue/monk who plans to die next Saturday, he is not gonna be able to play with us anymore, so he secretly asked me for a heroic dead finding the cure for his wife in the asylum

they are also accompanied by a npc that have been with them since level 3, and a female dragonborn ranger with no animal companion

the setting has low magic, so the cleric mostly heals with pots and the wizard has to make magic items with charges to fight and reserve her own magic for specially dire situations

text too long, ill continue on the next post
>>
File: 803c8eb7e11fdf43e60c4d2a567c2720.jpg (983KB, 1280x1149px) Image search: [Google]
803c8eb7e11fdf43e60c4d2a567c2720.jpg
983KB, 1280x1149px
>>50059720
the thing is, the monk’s wife just got sick from an incurable disease, the cleric knows there used to be an asylum where some alchemists supposedly found the cure for it, but the place was in the middle of two kingdoms (a human kingdom a dwarf mountain) that started a war between each other so the asylum eventually got attacked by the dwarves and it ended up burned

Almost everyone died, few escaped (alchemists and nurses fled, insane people got left behind) and the place got filled with tortured spirits/ghosts and neutral/chaotic evil outsiders

The cure is still there… or at least they hope so. What they don’t know is that, another group of npcs is also going for it, since two of them are infected as well, this npcs are a group of recurrent villains, and their leader and her lover are the ones infected

So I plan on having them go through the asylum, fight the evil stuff in there and, just before they reach the potions with the cure, have the evil guys take it and start a fight for the cure… eventually the monk is going to die, and they get the potion for his wife, this last part is no problem, what I still haven’t figured out is the asylum/dungeon

tl;dr - what are some good level 8 and 9 monsters a haunted asylum might have? undeads? living necromancy spells? Wraiths? Vrocks? What else? Give me your best to scare the shit out of this guys /tg/!
>>
>>50059744
Also, I got no idea how the inside of an asylum looks like, besides beds, what else is in there?

i was thinking of having them discover that the dwarves had captured the place and started to make experiments with the insane people in there, maybe in a secret basement/lower level below the asylum (where the cure might be)

something went wrong and everyone died/fled the place

help me turn this into a silent hill place guys
>>
File: img_1555.jpg (6MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
img_1555.jpg
6MB, 3648x2736px
>>50059800
I suppose the classical ghost girl that roams the place trapped by the evil spirits in there could be a side-quest
>>
File: banner-img1.jpg (214KB, 2000x901px) Image search: [Google]
banner-img1.jpg
214KB, 2000x901px
>>50059889
gonna post some pics meanwhile
>>
Undead of all varieties. Have the walls realign themselves and obvious lights flickering. You have a pretty big party already. Watch grave encounters for some ideas.

Have a cursed item that the party doesnt realise is cursed
>>
>>50059999
thanks ill check it out, might have to watch it on my cellphone because one of the players is my wife and well, she is going to get an idea of it all if i told her to watch the movie with me
>>
>>
File: traverse-city-asylum-2.jpg (226KB, 584x387px) Image search: [Google]
traverse-city-asylum-2.jpg
226KB, 584x387px
>>
File: tumblr_nndjw4Celq1sgwi7xo5_500.gif (1023KB, 450x255px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nndjw4Celq1sgwi7xo5_500.gif
1023KB, 450x255px
>>
Maybe have some downtime before they enter the asylum. Ie the travel there and the skies get darker, the woods get thicker but with less greenery. It starts raining heavily with thunder overhead. As they follow the path they come across an old tavern, run down with dark wood and moss growing over it. It is innocent enough, the innkeeper used to be a warden at the asylum and if questioned by the pc's warns them not to go there. If pressed for further information he goes tight lipped and heads to bed early and in the morning assuming the pc's stayed the night he and any other guests are gone.

Once they set off a dc15 spot check reveals a broken sign that was on the gate to the tavern but has fallen into the mud. "Closed until further notice"

Despite being a new day it is still raining and only slightly lighter than at night. A sign warns not to enter the asylum. Some mundane traps can be set up as if from the authorities trying to deter intruders. Once inside the doors shut by themselves. There is no light save for that that the party has and any non magical light goes out and cannot be re lit.

The front desk has piles of papers and a list of names (a good thing to write down as a prop).

False stairs, disturbing graffiti, skeleton strapped to a bed. Strange lights noises, usual monsters etc
>>
File: pack-244-haunted-house-fl_12062.jpg (125KB, 1002x563px) Image search: [Google]
pack-244-haunted-house-fl_12062.jpg
125KB, 1002x563px
>>
>>50061052
yeah they actually might ask for guidance and, since its still a war zone and the asylum was in the middle of both kingdoms, they might get a group of 5 npcs soldiers to help them get there

maybe some mid fights between dwarves and the soldiers, spot and hide checks to avoid been seen by patrols, etc, once there, if there is still any soldier with them, they might die inside one by one until theres only the players left

ill use the npcs death to further maximize the fact that the asylum is hell on earth thanks to those scientist/alchemists experimenting with the patients minds
>>
File: images (1).jpg (36KB, 470x313px) Image search: [Google]
images (1).jpg
36KB, 470x313px
>>50061263
>>
>>50061474
>>
>>50061612
and thats the last pic i have, thanks to the guys who took the time to help, ill check all the five monster manuals and see what i can take from it, and ill try to find an asylum map and info about the specific things and treatments people used to recieve in there
>>
>>50059800
>what else is in there?
Electroshock machines, trepanation kits, phiting needles, lobotomy kits, leech jars and bleeding implements, hydropathy tubs, and of course, a backdoor brothel.
>>
>>50062280
>a backdoor brothel
Lol. Thanks ill take note on all of this... specially the backdoor
>>
File: 1475504844178.jpg (176KB, 600x567px) Image search: [Google]
1475504844178.jpg
176KB, 600x567px
Keep a pad of paper.

When the cleric rolls perception, pass him a paper describing some ghost he saw.

When the dwarf does, pass her one telling her she felt someone touch her.

When either twin does, pass the other one a passage describing in graphic detail the death of the other.

The goliath can't sleep for nightmares.

The human is fine, but finds the place a little cold.
>>
File: tumblr_mb9jz3NGys1r8tc5uo1_500.jpg (78KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mb9jz3NGys1r8tc5uo1_500.jpg
78KB, 500x500px
>>50062915
This also looks like a good idea. So when they share what they are seeing/feeling everyone gets confused

Was also thinking on adding ghosts like those from the 13 ghosts film. You know stuff like the torso and the jackal
>>
>>50062704
Yeah, pretty much every asylum in victorian UK made extra money from selling time with the inmates. Also selling their hair for wigs and even their teeth.
Who would take their words seriously? They're mad and half of them are there because their in-laws didn't want to deal with them after their husbands died or went to war.
>>
>>50064179
Oh! So the brothel stuff was for real? Cant imagine a place like that managed by nurses selling mental ill people's bodies strapped to a bed to fuck

The hair sounds reasonable, but i guess the teeth was when they were dead rigth?
>>
>>
Watch a walkthrough of Thief 3's Shalebridge Cradle and then read the various in game texts that are scattered around the level (transcriptions of all of them can be found on thief wiki).
>>
Im reading this >>50066844 it looks great so far

What are some good music tracks for a silent hill style haunted asylum? The only one i know and that i really like is clockwork little happines. And i plan on using it when facing them against some bbeg spectre/aberration chasing them ir something

https://youtu.be/qdVCo57BO_Y

Glad to see the thread is still alive and im getting more help. Thank you all guys
>>
>>50067776
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUZhhqyX0wU&index=18&list=PLE6593A6F00DB9E4B
>>
File: horror thread.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
horror thread.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50067776
Then maybe this will be useful as well. Less slanted towards DnD, but more into the details...
>>
>>50067776
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Md0FLVpdPnw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFI41oABFBc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGccd19Gfsc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HZ_1W7MGa4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpQM8gyDNKo
>>
>>50067820
>>50068012
These are great! Thanks. How good is dinocrisis? I always wanted to play it but i never got to have a playstation

>>50067828
Thanks ill read it as soon as i can. Im still reading the previous pdf >>50066844
Haven't finished it cus im busy right now and i barely read a couple of paragraphs as soon as i get free time. I actually have been posting from my cellphone the whole morning and might not be able to post again in a few hours until night
>>
>>50068810
First is one of the better survival horror games on PSX (mostly because it is basically RE2 but with dinosaurs instead of zombies), 2nd one is decent enough late-90s action game and the 3rd one, well lets just say that there is a reason why it killed the franchise.
>>
>>50068957
Ill see if there is a pc version

I just finished reading the first pdf and it looks great. Full of useful advices and examples and... while i was reading. It came to my mind the fact that. It is a 3.5 setting so. There has to be some magical items to loot. Obviously no gold but maybe something else left behind in the many patients belongings left in the storage site

This of course could be a great opportunity to include cursed items since it is a haunted place after all. Maybe some will give the players visions of how the place used to be. Providing them clues to where the cure is or to uncover the mistery of the experiments led below the asylum
>>
>>50069460
There are pc ports for both DC1&2 but as far as I know they've never been rereleased on platforms like Steam or GOG.
>>
>>50059720
There was a level in a thief game in a hounded orphanage turns insane asylum, you could copy a lot of ideas from that
>>
>>50066574
>i guess the teeth was when they were dead rigth?
You have too much faith in people with absolute power.
>>
File: 2275091-amnesia_creature.jpg (29KB, 606x400px) Image search: [Google]
2275091-amnesia_creature.jpg
29KB, 606x400px
>>50059720
I don't know too much about DnD, but I can give you some general horror advice.

>Isolate the players
Make it clear that, once they enter the asylum, there's no turning back. This could be done like in Resident Evil 1, wherein there are packs of zombie dogs patrolling the perimeter of the mansion, preventing escape, or Dead Space, where Isaac's ship crash-lands onto the Ishamura and he must find an alternate route off the ship. Also, make sure to isolate them from any NPC tag-alongs; kill them off, kidnap them, or just have them say they're "going to check something out" only to be never seen again (or at least, not until the end of the adventure, when they are rescued by the PCs).

>Use monsters sparingly
Horror is like 90% atmosphere. Just throwing a bunch of undead into a spoopy house =/= horror; it just equals an undead-smashing dungeon run. Make enemies rare, disturbing, and either far more powerful than the PCs can reasonably manage (at least, without resting/resupplying constantly) or give them unique weaknesses that the PCs have to puzzle out (you could use Dead Space's "cut off their limbs" thing for undead, for example). If the PCs see a monster, they shouldn't be thinking "Great, something to kill!" they should be thinking "Shit, something to hide/run from." Amnesia: The Dark Descent did this extremely well; there are very few monsters in the game, but it's still remembered as pants-shittingly terrifying because it used atmosphere and story to create a general sense of dread.
>>
>>50070340
Sorry, I'd like to add more, but I gtg work
>>
>>50070368
No problem. And thanks dor your time. I have to get out as well and wont be able to check the thread. Thabks to everyone in case the thread dies before i get to post/answer more

As for the isolation stuff i plan to have them go through the frontal garden. A place with wicked and withered trees. Find undeads and the gardener mini-boss ala edward scissorhands style maybe. Then rush into the asylum as they get gradually outnumbered
>>
>>50070368
Once inside im still thinking in either sorround them in solid fog and separate them or have them all explore the place together
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.