[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for any /k/ommandos here who have served in the military:

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1459503726897.jpg (83KB, 700x960px) Image search: [Google]
1459503726897.jpg
83KB, 700x960px
Question for any /k/ommandos here who have served in the military: how prevalent is stuff like D&D, Warhammer, or other tabletop hobbies in the military?
>>
Currently at a-school for the navy and DnD is pretty prevalent here but it seems everyone that plays it is severely autistic.
>>
>>50058826
Very. So are video games when possible. Boredom is p terrible.
>>
>>50058826
>he can still lol in a warzone

are all Americans this frightening?
>>
>>50060136
yes, yes we are. we actually relish is blood and death. theres a legit reason why you don't piss us off.
>>
>>50060136
m8, it's not just Americans.
>>
/k/ here, bongland army. Nobody played it, if they were a dweeb they got bullied.
>>
>>50060136
Soldiers in action are super serious. Soldiers 'in action' are bored chucklefucks. This applies to every military organisation on the planet.
>>
>>50058826
I saw a ton of D&D in the fleet, and actively collected and painted 40k stuff while out at sea. Painting shit on a rocking ship was fun sometimes.
>>
USMC infantry vet here 1998 to 2007.

We played a ton of Rifts and both 2nd Ed and 3.5 D&D when I was on ship in the late 1990s. Like every day 4 hrs a day it was great!

There is a lot of down time and boredom too. Like on guard duty for fucking8 hrs in a tower.

One time we were trapped on a island for 48 hrs off Okinawa when a bad storm rolled in. We were stuck in leaky GP medium with us and some forward observers. I ran a D&D game for all of us off the top of my head with mre boxes for a table.

I always kept my dice with me at all times.
>>
>>50060136

If you buy the farm you buy the farm no use being a bitch about it. Everyone with you is in the same boat.
>>
File: Motivated Players.jpg (29KB, 600x396px) Image search: [Google]
Motivated Players.jpg
29KB, 600x396px
Could be my MOS, but I've never found a lack of players to fill my table. Those who haven't played tabletop games before have usually been eager to give it a try. Never before have I had more creative players.
>>
Probably obvious, but the usaf is full of fucking nerds.

Never played more Magic, rpgs, or Warhammer in my life. Had a lengthy discussion about Berserk with one of my tech instructors.
>>
>>50058826
When I first got to my unit, about 25% of my company DIDN'T play world of warcraft.
Currently MTG is picking up in it.
I'm the go to boardgame guy, though the people playing boardgames is dying out because of players dying, or ETSing
>>
>>50060136
Have you ever worked an actually stressful job in your life?

When you're working, your mind is on point, and you don't fuck around much. Fucking around at the wrong time can either cause an insane amount of damage or even get somebody killed, no matter what high-intensity profession you're working in, be it rig work, the military, police/fire/ems, deep-sea welding (Jesus, that shit's lethal as FUCK), whatever.

When you're NOT working, though, you're blowing off all that pent-up stress and steam that came with your high-intensity job, so you do crazy shit and laugh about it, because you have to to stay sane.
>>
>>50058826

>Pepsi
>Not durka-dew

C'mon.
>>
>>50058826

On deployment?

Think about it. You spend 90% of your non-sleep time in a place where your options for activities are extremely limited and you have only the shit you hauled with you to use, with anything new taking weeks to come if it does at all. There's a shitload of other people as bored as you are who eventually will try literally anything to ease boredom.

And into this comes pen-and-paper gaming (and tabletop if you use stand-in figures), a hobby that is an unlimited time vacuum, is social, requires no more than a few books or a PDF reader, and that you can up and leave in five seconds if you have to with no loss.

It's incredibly popular.
>>
>>50062503

Then if you're out somewhere shitty, like a FoB, you are suddenly far more isolated, far more social with the people there, have only what fit in your bags unless it's army-issue, and you need to decompress regularly because you are spending your working time either nervous as hell and focused because nobody's shooting you, or in the blinding panic of combat because someone is.

P&P gaming is fantastic for decompressing, especially for getting shit off your chest, and doesn't seem 'weak because it's a character saying this shit, not you personally.

Frankly if you even managed to find a base out there that didn't do P&P gaming, if you introduced it well it'd take over within a few weeks.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.