[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm considering making my own rpg ruleset. What's some

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: Tabletop-RPG-Dice[1].png (99KB, 317x213px) Image search: [Google]
Tabletop-RPG-Dice[1].png
99KB, 317x213px
I'm considering making my own rpg ruleset. What's some good advice to help me realize this is a bad idea?
>>
>>50052649
It's roughly ten thousand man hours of work for something very few people will see. You are not the next VeloCITY, people will not use or talk about your system unless it does something unique or interesting
>>
How many games have you played or at least read? There are already hundreds of systems, that run the gamut from one-page universal systems to multiple tomes focused on specific things. Whatever you think your great idea is, read more. Get to know what's already out there.
>>
>>50052649
Consider that D&D has been around for 40+ years and hundreds of writers who worked on it have still not been able to balance it properly.
>>
>>50052649
Read this at least twice.
>>
>>50052649
>What's some good advice to help me realize this is a bad idea?

It's not. Everybody who plays RPGs should design his own ruleset at least once.

Just don't expect anybody to play it.
>>
>>50052997
>Consider that D&D has been around for 40+ years and hundreds of writers who worked on it have still not been able to balance it properly.

D&D is a special case because it has so much nostalgia tied to it that people working on it are not really allowed to change it.

Fuck, 4th edition pretty much did exactly that, it balanced D&D just fine. And everyone hated it, 'cause it broke the rule. You're not allowed to change or alter D&D in any way beyond minor tweaks
>>
>>50052649
If you feel the need to post about yourself feeling the need to make a RPG on 4chan, you have no business making a RPG.

>>50053291
>You're not allowed to change or alter D&D in any way beyond minor tweaks
Then how do you explain 1e, 2e, 3.5 and 5e?
>>
>>50052660
even VeloCITY doesn't have that many eyes on it i don't see mention of it anywhere but this board
>>
>>50052649
It's not a bad idea.

Work on your homebrew, then take a look at it and see what really drove you to make it in the first place.

Then decide if the issues that made you work on the homebrew were actual grievances with a system, an exercise in creativity, or things that irritated you that you can houserule.
>>
It depends on what your goals are.

If your goal is to make a billion-googillian dollars, then maybe concentrate your efforts elsewhere.
If your goal is to practice your technical writing skills with something fun, and create something that you and your friends can enjoy, then it isn't a bad idea at all.
>>
>>50052649
It's not really a bad idea, it can be a lot of fun really, just realise that this will be a lot more work than you thought it would at the beginning. Always ask yourself if your rules would work well and be fun in an actual game. Also make some research beforehand. Someone almost certainly had a similar system idea before you, so it might be a good idea to read their work and "borrow" some ideas. Make sure that no one did exactly what you want to do though, no point in writing it then, other than some practice.
>>
>>50052997
>Consider that D&D has been around for 40+ years and hundreds of writers who worked on it have still not been able to balance it properly.

All sorts of people that should be playing a different rpg play the same rpg (d&d)
so this example is not valid.

Its like if 90%+ of world population brought the same ford car (including truck, bike and bus people), and start to complain that a new edition of this car dont fit their views
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.