[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What modern shit have you put into your world under silly/dumb

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: A_small_cup_of_coffee.jpg (392KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
A_small_cup_of_coffee.jpg
392KB, 1600x1200px
What modern shit have you put into your world under silly/dumb fantasy names, /tg/?

Coffee
>Hot Bean Tea: gives advantage on initiative for 1 hour and removes all levels of exhaustion
>when effect ends, user takes n levels of exhaustion (n = number of hot bean teas consumed that day)
>>
Elevators because I love adventure zone
>>
>>50051872
Guns because I'm unoriginal
>>
>>50051872
Rats are called gibs
hamsters are called bogibs
ferrets are called vargibs
pigeons are called skygibs
sheep are called moufs
mountain goats are called crag moufs
>>
>>50051872
My players discovered a pocket of helium underground and after a couple sessions had the world's first airship

The cleric thinks the pocket is a portal to the elemental plane of air, and that the helium is "the purest air of the heavens" so they named it Angel's Breath
>>
>>50051885
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhxURd-9SQ8
>>
>modern shit
>coffee
>>
>>50051938
this
>>
>>50051938
>>50051943
I know coffee has a long history and all that, but I'm talking like my cities pretty much having fantasy starbucks kinda modern
>>
>>50051914
why
>>
>>50051872

I like the (probably despised) trope of having completely unexplained anachronism.

Like in my fantasy setting somehow having schoolgirls who wear school uniforms. What are essentially TV shows and journalists, but run by extraplanar beings.

I mean that's probably what this thread is about, I hope it takes off.
>>
>>50051927
stealing that
>>
>>50052010
Yeah thats sorta what I'm looking for. I love mixing and matching things from different mediums and messing with my players expectations of what can and can't exist in the reality their characters are a part of

(And I just love how silly it gets sometimes)
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
>>50051872
My dwarven construct bard invented rock and roll. Calls it scratchin' and screamin'
>>
File: download.jpg (16KB, 303x166px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
16KB, 303x166px
>>50052038

It's annoying because I'm exactly on the same page, to the point of also wanting ideas and examples. Because I can't think of many off the top of my head.

I think it's a great counter to rather po-faced fantasy. Like having a birthday partying, with cake and hats and so forth - instead of some rubbish with trees and sacred dirt or something.

Oh, beaches. Make a holiday to the beach literally identical to what you'd expect in the modern world. Bikinis, fancy drinks, towels and beachballs. The whole nine yards.
>>
>>50051974
sense of wonder
>>
File: skelly.jpg (62KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
skelly.jpg
62KB, 640x640px
>>50052105
I feel like we'd get along

Some of my players favorites that I've done is:
>a dungeon they were fighting through turned out to be just a skeleton spa run by a kindly old necromancer
>A town which its main export was denim, so everyone was wearing blue jeans and had southern accents
>Store with a staff wanted sign, inside was a wizard who had lost his wizard staff
>disposable cameras are just a thing
>>
>>50052170
cool
>>
>>50051872
>a democratic republic
>>
File: 18lr97xvj91z1jpg.jpg (57KB, 635x386px) Image search: [Google]
18lr97xvj91z1jpg.jpg
57KB, 635x386px
>>50052174

Absolutely we would.

I always wanted to run a session which was basically D&D Cops. Huge fantasy mega-city, essentially the exact same sort of things you'd expect in an average episode of the TV show Cops.

Except the drunk and disorderly person is instead a Frost Giant, and his shrill screaming wife is a literal banshee.

I blame Space Precinct.
>>
>>50052224
Oh man that sounds awesome
>>
>>50052224
Have you read the Discworld's City Watch series? You sound like a guy who would love Terry Pratchett's work
>>
File: s0149661_sc7.jpg (21KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
s0149661_sc7.jpg
21KB, 380x380px
>Silver ribbon of holding

Stat me?
>>
>>50051872
When my party went to the Library of Lore, they stopped in the wizard cafe, Boccob's Instant Coffee. I mean, seriously, how could a library that huge not have a single modern cafe in it? Later on in that session, one of them had a cage match with a martial the wizards brought in for entertainment.
>>
>>50052362
Pretty much re-flavored Sovereign Glue
>>
>>50052493
And all the coffee was frothy and foamy right?
>>
File: Crowbar_world_model_ep2.jpg (69KB, 728x272px) Image search: [Google]
Crowbar_world_model_ep2.jpg
69KB, 728x272px
Wand of Knock
>>
>>50052626
Of course!
>>
>>50051872

Pretty sure coffee is not a new invention.
>>
>>50051964
Coffee houses were common in the Middle East in medieval times and later on in Tudor times in Europe dickhead
>>
>>50052174
Denim isn't even that unreasonable, it was invented by Italian sailors a long time ago (specifically, from Nice: "Denim" comes from "de Nice," because that's where they made it). The modern jeans with rivets and stuff were just invented later.
>>
>>50053561
>>50053580
Don't be so pedantic, poindexter.
>>
>Lightning Abacus
>Dragonfire Wand
>Fire Elemental Carriage
>Continental Catapult
>>
A game I played once had as the main attraction on the orc town a store that sold meat bread and variants with a side of juice or alcohol. It worked a lot like a fast food joint instead of a tavern or restaurant, and had as a symbol a happy fat orc in the front.
>>
>>50054195
I don't know much about taverns, but did they really prepare food to order? Even modern restaurants with fridges and stuff run a thin profit margin, so I always kind of figured that taverns would have, say, a big cauldron of soup to order for soup, and probably two or three kinds of meat for whoever ordered it.
>>
>>50054825
Romans had fast food stalls to go along with their graffiti.

http://www.pompeiana.org/Resources/Ancient/Graffiti%20from%20Pompeii.htm
>>
>>50051872
Modern medical knowledge. The gods keep sharing advanced knowledge with their followers to keep them from needing too much god juice.
>>
>tfw your players look at you funny when you mention such technological marvels as glasses, plumbing, heated floors and man-operated printing presses in your setting that's supposed to have that late medieval/early renaissance technical feel
>>
>>50051872
When my Inquisitor was done speaking to Cyric, he hung up the phone on me
>>
>>50053914
>What modern shit have you put into your world under silly/dumb fantasy names, /tg/?

Clothes
>Body-cover: hides your genitals and keeps you warm in the winter!
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.