[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sci-fi planets and environments that make interesting settings.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 8

File: 1476840761262.png (2MB, 1100x732px) Image search: [Google]
1476840761262.png
2MB, 1100x732px
Sci-fi planets and environments that make interesting settings.

Can be hard sci-fi, soft, fantasy whatever.

This can also double as a general space thread desu
>>
File: 1477471343522.jpg (918KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1477471343522.jpg
918KB, 2560x1600px
>>
File: 1461043184549.png (1MB, 1693x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1461043184549.png
1MB, 1693x1200px
>>
File: PlutoSnakeskin_NHdetail.jpg (553KB, 1558x960px) Image search: [Google]
PlutoSnakeskin_NHdetail.jpg
553KB, 1558x960px
So, what makes an environment "interesting"?

It's very rare, in a story-based game, to have an environment be the /major/ point of interest. Even exploring an environment can be boring as hell if all you're doing is listening to a GM describe things. Sure, some GMs can rattle off fifteen minutes or more of compelling detail, but they're rare.

So when you pick an environment, pick hooks.

-Hazards: something for the PCs to evade
-Rewards: something for the PCs to discover and benefit from
-Explanation: for a mystery the PCs have previously faced
-Mysteries: that tag onto things the PCs want to explore
-Horror: Like "hazards" but implied. Don't tell, hint.
>>
>>50050837
I think your reading to much into a single word. I just wanted a thread primarily about science fiction locales, sue me.
>>
File: 1278827312145.jpg (957KB, 2000x1037px) Image search: [Google]
1278827312145.jpg
957KB, 2000x1037px
>>50050837
It's always better to evoke than to describe.

You might have a perfect image of the environment you're describing, and you might feel like you need to get the players to see exactly what you're seeing. If you have the time, you could set up a tablet or a projector and show them pictures, but it can interrupt game flow and, in my opinion, neglects a very useful tool - your players brains.

So let's assume you've had your players do some background reading/watching. Maybe you've told them, "So this game is like Firefly, but biopunk - you know, like Cronenburg films, or that new video game. So yeah, watch *this* and *this* before we start."

Once you've primed your players' brains with some useful images, you can start evoking. Use no more than 2 or 3 sentences at a time. Tie your description to the senses.

Temperature, taste, colour, texture, pressure. The feel of the ground they walk on. The sound of their breath in their helmets. The scent of bromine and dust.

Mix in emotional descriptions. The spires of blue-white glass "menace, like claws". The air "shimmers with heat, or like it's afraid," the sands seem "ancient, beaten, and worn." The mountains "still have that newly-shattered look about them."

Given the correct priming, your players will build better worlds in their heads than you ever could describe.
>>
File: EY4k9PP.jpg (1MB, 2500x1015px) Image search: [Google]
EY4k9PP.jpg
1MB, 2500x1015px
>>50050949
Nah, I'm not trying to criticize, just give advice. Nothin' wrong with the thread - I just needed a starting point.
>>
File: neuman-1280-x-1024[1].jpg (365KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
neuman-1280-x-1024[1].jpg
365KB, 1280x1024px
>>
File: 1475472951987.png (988KB, 875x1022px) Image search: [Google]
1475472951987.png
988KB, 875x1022px
>>50050969
sorry, my bad
>>
a planet called melody

I am a lone explorer and I fly a solo ship
Through interstellar darkness on this planet hunting trip.
Passing by a star with a spectrum that was strange
I found what Mother Nature had arranged.

>I'm here on a planet that I call Melody,
>Waiting for the chorus that comes singing at the dawn,
>For the voice of the wind through the music of the leaves
>Makes a song that will go on and on.

I stepped out of my ship, for the air was fit to breathe
And gazed upon a landscape that I just could not believe.
Of silicon and metal was the vegetation made.
With every breeze I heard the song they played.

When the sun goes down, all the plants - their leaves then close,
And the song that they were singing goes where once-played music goes.
I've been here four days and I should be moving on,
But I think that I'll just wait for one more dawn.

Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.