[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone played SCION and if so is it any good or worth a look?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: herodemigod.png (1MB, 1245x473px) Image search: [Google]
herodemigod.png
1MB, 1245x473px
Has anyone played SCION and if so is it any good or worth a look?

I know it's typical White Wolf storyteller system stuff but the whole "children of gods including patriotic mascots and folk heroes" thing kinda intrigued me.
>>
Don't it's broken as shit and even worse than Exalted 2e by miles which is saying something. Take the basic premise and port it over to a supers system of your choice and you'll have a much better experience.
>>
>>50048052
Any opinion on that 2e version that's coming out next year?
>>
>>50048106
The company pulled a shit move by making you buy two books of you want to run a Hero campaign.
>>
>>50048423
Considering how that's becoming a worrying pattern, that doesn't exactly phase me aside from going "Fuck me, why?".

But alright all questions answered outside of what specifically makes it a broken piece of shit, but I'll leave it there unless someone feels like breaking this down more.
>>
>>50048032
It's fun if your ok with you players becoming physic breaking gods go for it. Besides it doesn't become broken until around legend 6
>>
>>50048032
The setting is fantastic, and there are a number of systems that do it better. Personally, I like Legends of The Wulin and FIght! The Fighting Game RPG.
>>
File: tired of this shit.png (167KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
tired of this shit.png
167KB, 400x300px
>>50048032
>typical White Wolf storyteller system
No, man, it's much, much worse. It's honestly one of the most poorly designed systems I've ever seen. The initiative mechanic is bizarre and infuriating. There are a huge number of game breaking abilities. The power balance is idiotic. It's common to run into NPCs who accidentally wipe your team and cannot be touched by your players, or vice versa. Minor mistakes or different approaches in character design can leave PCs of the same point total have vastly different power, as if they were five or ten levels apart in DnD terms. The rules are obtuse, poorly organize, vague, and at times contradictory. Like all White Wolf games, it's organized like shit and isn't properly indexed, so learning the system is a pain, and looking up a rule can sometimes be an enormous pain in the ass. Like all White Wolf games, the powers are random and inconsistent. Some bestow game breaking, god-like abilities, others, of equal value, are totally worthless. It really is everything wrong with every White Wolf game turned to 11. I usually like their games and can deal with the flaws, but this one proved unplayable.

The setting is pretty cool, though. I eventually scrapped the system and just ported the concept into FATE. I recommend doing something similar, with your generic or super hero system of choice.
>>
>>50051996
This. Epic dex was such a fucking bad idea. Even a 1 point difference in it could mean being unhittable or being reduced to a fine mist in a single hit.
>>
>>50051996
You know there's a new one coming out, right?
>>
>>50052002
For context, each dot of epic dex provides a number of automatic successes, with the first for dots providing 1, 2, 4, 7 automatic successes respectively and it getting bigger from there. The problem is at higher levels the automatic successes from even one dot of difference is so great that is it is borderline impossible to roll high to touch him.
>>
>>50048032

The concept is great, but the system is comically unbalanced, especially at higher levels, and the mythologies are total nonsense.
>>
>>50052714
Have you read the preview documents for 2e? It's very different, but still shit. Onyx Path can't into game design, because it's just White Wolf with a fake mustache.

>>50048032
I ran a campaign. It was a lot of fun, but the rules are fucking abysmal. Keep it game Hero level, keep everyone at the same Legend, get rid of Untouchable Opponent, and make it clear that Epic Dex is the combat stat and that if one person has a bit more they are going to do 90% of the heavy lifting in fighting.

Also, change how the prophecy boons/purviews work, because that's always a shitty thing. I recommend having each success let the player ask a question from a Powered by the Apocalypse game (the Read a Sitch move or equivalent).
>>
I did not expect this thread to still exist by the middle of the next day of me posting it, but this is all very enlightening so thanks.

It's kind of a shame such a cool concept is relegated to a busted as fuck game, but that's White Wolf for you I guess. Incompetence in droves despite having a base system that's simple as fuck.
>>
>>50054312
>Have you read the preview documents for 2e? It's very different, but still shit. Onyx Path can't into game design, because it's just White Wolf with a fake mustache.

Yeah, sure. Care to substantiate?
>>
Man, Scion is probaly my favorate game I never played, I loved the ideas in it but the rule system was too big a headscratcher for me to ever run. With any luck 2e will be better but eh, we'll see.

In the meantime I always hear people suggest using Godbound for Exalted because of how wonky the system is, has anyone tried doing the same with Scion?
>>
>>50055079
That might be an idea...I haven't actually checked Godbound out yet.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.