[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been worldbuilding a (fantasy) setting, and one of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1187430.jpg (446KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1187430.jpg
446KB, 1600x1000px
I've been worldbuilding a (fantasy) setting, and one of the things I want it to have is old technology that can't really be replicated any more, but that can still be found and that is used to some limited degree. It's not exactly post-apocalyptic, but it is about the collapse of more advanced civilization, and people making use of what it left behind without the infrastructure or resources (or even knowledge) to actually fabricate that stuff any more.

Thing is, I'm having a hard time coming up with an intresting kind of technology these artifacts of the past would be based on. I really don't want to just go all steampunk with it, but I don't have good, solid ideas at this point either. And just straight magitech or the like is kind of ehh.

So, /tg/, what kind of technology do you like to see in your stuff?
>>
>>50027218
Magitek. A lot of the complaints I see around /tg/ is how magic dislodges technological progress yet normal civilization seems to be stuck in the Medieval Age.

One way I would do is that Magic is used as an unlimited energy source. Mages were scientists as well as walking batteries. The ancients figured out a way to store the energy from mana into batteries and powered their society from golems to flying airships.
>>
10/10 movie. I wish I could watch it for the first time again.

Numenara does this sort of thing. Earth has gone through the rise and fall of so many great civilizations that no one remembers the technological golden ages. All of the magic and abilities of the setting are just crazy advanced technology, but no one around remembers how or why it works.
>>
>>50027218
Mine is sort of like what >>50027300 referenced.

Very few people even know there were precursor civilizations and the ones who do usually imagine them to be big magical empires. In reality, they were just civilizations with highly developed technology. One of the greater nations built a system of doomsday bunkers which survived the fall. When new civilizations cropped up thousands of years later and found them it was like opening a vault to a bunch of magic artifacts that even their wisest engineers and scholars couldn't understand the workings of.
>>
>>50027218
Well something more mundane would be architecture.
For some real world inspiration, a great example would be the collapse of Rome.
How many aqueducts got built after the collapse of Rome?
Roman infrastructure is pretty hard to keep up with when your cement is so good it doesn't need upkeep, thus creating a period of time long enough for people to lose the knowledge to make the cement.
>>
>>50027300
the manga is better
>>
File: Dust-rain.jpg (80KB, 446x199px) Image search: [Google]
Dust-rain.jpg
80KB, 446x199px
>>50027218
Maybe something like the Endless universe?

An extinct ancient species had god like powers with their nano bots called dust.
And after they're gone it is basicly magic for pre space civ species
>>
File: Endless-Legend-Vaulters-Rush.jpg (783KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Endless-Legend-Vaulters-Rush.jpg
783KB, 1920x1080px
>>50027729
Seconding something like Dust. People don't understand what it is, but they do understand how powerful it can be. Plus, you could use it as a currency also, which causes the players to think about how much money they are willing to pay for a spell
>>
>>50027976
Isn't the man on the left's hand in the way of his crossbow string?
>>
File: 1447756421494.jpg (3MB, 3300x4050px) Image search: [Google]
1447756421494.jpg
3MB, 3300x4050px
I think plastic is going to be one of those materials people would find again in far future, but probably cant replicate it with low technology. People can liquify them, and mold them into new containers and stuffs, but there could only be a limited amount of already made plastic material available, and only the wealthy can keep a pyre long enough to transform plastics into another shape
>>
Arcanum did this semi-right, I think. During gameplay, the world is at a fairly advanced level, but lost, ancient civilizations still had it better (i.e. current civs has trains and sophisticated guns, older civilization had submarines and ultra-powerful magiteck guns.)

So like, take a sector/area/layer of development, and give the ancient civilization a better understanding of that specific area. For example, the current civilization could do something raw, like ride horses with primitive riding equipment, while an older civilization had horseshoes (mundane example, but it's just for illustration).

Or like, steam engines versus combustion engines.
>>
>>50027218
Why not steal from the dozens of settings that already do this for your cliche as fuck idea?
>>
Let the older civilization have functional AI:s. Or functional artificial spirits if it was a magic society.

These AI/spirits were the stewards of a lost civilization and as such they are able to perform amazing tasks...as long as it is within their programming.

For instance there could be a surviving AI housed in a nanofactory that is capable of creating any patterns of simple shapes, allowing you to create amazing pieces of armor made out of plasteel or whatever (even though your own setting is like at the chainmail stage of armor evolution).

Magical spirits are even simpler to explain since they don't need any equipment. Maybe a djinn capable of conjuring fourth a special pattern of armor but nothing else?

The nice things about these guys are they can also be pretty handy for alluding to the "old times".
>>
>>50028179
Now I can't un-see that.
>>
>>50028213
I love putting plastic in fantasy settings. Probably because of Dungeons of Dredmor, but the weird idea of plastic shit flooding the markets and dwarves slowly facing a decline in everything but plastic products but greater economic success is fun. Allows for a Fallen Empires situation in which the orcs/hobgoblins can slowly (or quickly) start successfully wrecking them.
And it allows for really cheap things for players and odd anachronisms. It's not for every setting though.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.