[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My group has played various editions of DnD for the last three

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: Derp_Heresy.jpg (10KB, 196x257px) Image search: [Google]
Derp_Heresy.jpg
10KB, 196x257px
My group has played various editions of DnD for the last three years (3, 4, & 5) and I finally convinced them to play something else.
After putting Exalted, Mutants & Masterminds, GURPS and Dark Heresy on the table, they chose Dark Heresy. While I have GM'd before, I've never done so for this system, and my players have no knowledge of 40k's lore.
Any tips?
>>
>>50019425

well I hope they're good at learning new rules, since it's pretty rule-ridden system.

40k's setting is not difficult to explain, just don't let them violate it with stupid edgemaster backgrounds.
>>
>>50019425
Get the material you need before FFG stops selling it.
>>
>>50019653
This.
Make sure they understand that they are members of the Inqusition and need to act so or at least play their cards right and do what their Inquisitor wants them to do.
I may have lititle knowledge about DH myself but I do think that who their Inquisitor is and what's his agenda is key to laying out guidelines on the do's and don't's.
Example: The Inquisitor is open minded when it comes to dealing with Xenos and won't mind if you do so but wants the players to keep any dealings under wraps.

A good idea for the players I think would be to have them all from planets that have just recently been joined with the rest of humanity, and so your players have a reason for not knowing enough about the setting. Maybe even feudal or primitive planets.
>>
>>50019425
The core rulebook has all the basic lore you need to run the game. For more in-depth knowledge of the setting, check out the following:

Lexicanum: http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page
1d4chan: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Main_Page
>>
>>50019853
Something else to bear in mind is that to the common man in the Imperium, the happenings on other worlds, or even other cities/hives on the same world, may be a complete unknown. Remember, we they players have a lot of knowledge about the universe, but Average Joe from Random Star System IV, all he may know is
>He is human
>The planet he lives on is part of the Imperium
>The Imperium is big
>He must praise the Emprah
>He needs to file Form A into Slot 9
>There's a guy in a funny hat who just identified himself as an Inquisitor, which is scary, and he is about to see what the inside of a space ship looks like

It's entirely possible for someone on even a large, well developed planet to know fuck all about the galaxy at large, has never heard of Tyranids, Necrons, or Eldar and their knowledge of Chaos is the priests say is bad and burn anyone who knows or talks about it.
>>
>>50019425
RollPlay also did a Dark Heresy (1e) campaign if you want to see a good example of the game in action.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL-oTJHKXHicSxBj2DMq_zmJ0QALrhKzVg
>>
>>50019425

Op if you are going to try Dark Heresy try hard to not fall into "D&D in space" trap. The way the game is written, and especially all premade adventures you will get a dnd game in another rpg system.

Also the way adventures are written every npc on imperium side is incompetent, retarded, heretic or all three. If you are new, read a premade adventure and then try make sense of them.

Try to focus on investigation with a few shoot-outs to break the same pace. Dark heresy should be about finding answers to questions first, shoot later.
>>
>>50023260
>Not shooting questions and shooting answers
>>
>>50019853
I introduced a new set of players to DH by asking them for archetypes they wanted to play and making the sheets for them.

Then I started them on a medieval world, ran the first two sessions as a standard 'fantasy' setting, as they fought monsters (daemons) and monsters, until the angels came and took them along because they were really good at removing maleficarum.

Kind of butchered the setting a bit by REAAALLLLY streamlining them into the Imperium but it was fun for everyone.
>>
>>50023260
This to a degree, I actually quite like the pre mades but personally I adjust the stats for a lot of creature.

E.g. that one on the space hulk where the SPEHS MEHREEN isn't actually that much stronger than the players, lolnope.
>>
>>50023346
>Starting off fighting daemons
What. Was this on a daemon world?
>>
>>50023619
Nah, just some weaklings that had somehow slipped through the warp because shenanigans.

Like I said, I wasn't going for 100% realism, I was just trying to whet their appetite for the system/setting and since they were only used to high fantasy D&D in the past it felt like a good way to intro.

They actually got really into 40k lore afterwards and I wound up running a really fun Only War WW1 trench type game.

One of them is actually writing a rogue trader game.
>>
>>50023346
>Kind of butchered the setting a bit by REAAALLLLY streamlining them into the Imperium but it was fun for everyone.

Nothing else matters then ey? A good introduction to a new system+setting is very important. They'll might be up for the more grimdarkness later, instead of having enough of it right off the bat.
>>
>>50019425
PCs are incompetent initially. make sure that both you and the players understand that and that the players can stack circumstantial bonuses to improve their favors substantially.
>>
>>50024161
That is only an issue with 1e though.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.