[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/wodg/+/cofd/ Chronicles of The World of Darkness of the General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 327
Thread images: 39

File: Have Mercy.png (990KB, 772x1034px) Image search: [Google]
Have Mercy.png
990KB, 772x1034px
Previous Thread: >>49993298

Halloween is right around the corner. What have you got planned for the most World of Darknessy of holidays?

Resources:
>Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/7sSgGVPH
>Onyx Path Publishing's online store page
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/4261/Onyx-Path-Publishing
>OPP Blog
http://theonyxpath.com/
>Mega
https://mega.nz/#F!wpB0ib4a!EsAU0AE4ihrNlDWzp3-MIw!soA0EbTB
https://mega.nz/#F!rFIDxRRK!IEzkLlroRoPwmDqtxKRMsw
>>
>>50010417
Does this game actually have sexy Halloween witches?

Yes I know that's Mercy.
>>
>>50010477
It might. Nothing stops you.
>>
>>50010477
I have a Sin-eater concept that's a spooky Halloween witch. Her Geist is basically the Witch from Wizard of Oz. She dresses like a gothy type, with a zip up leather corset over a white off-the-shoulder blouse, a ruffled skirt, long black and orange stockings, and some kitten heel Mary Janes. Top it all off with an old fashioned tree branch broom used like a walking stick, and a Deathmask witch hat.

Of course, this being Geist, she's also usually carrying a tool belt of ghostbusting equipment, and has scarification and tattoos on both shoulders. And the blouse is a Casket Jacket charm, hand sewn from the lining of a coffin.

I really need to make a reference for the draw threads.
>>
Looks like Chronicles is benefiting from a Halloween sale on drivethrurpg at the moment, for anyone who still buys things.
>>
So the Onyxpath site has 11 different games listed. Are these all set in the same setting, is it like the 40k RPGs where they sort-of go together but each one is just focused on a different group of people?
>>
>>50010782
Pretty much, yeah.

The Chronicles of Darkness are in their own shared world. It's sort of like superhero comics. Batman, Wonder Woman, Superman, and the Flash all share a world, but most of the time they're not sharing a comic.
>>
>>50010824
Ah, and the most interesting sounding one ,Deviant: The Renegades isn't out yet. Curses.
>>
>>50010923
>Interesting

Sure I guess you can call Hunter 2.0 interesting if you want.
>>
>>50010963
Failed experiments trying to avoid men in black doesn't quite sound like it's the same as people hunting monsters.
>>
>>50011044
Cheiron Group.
>>
>>50011060
That sounds like it's on the other side of the coin.
>>
So one of my mage awakening players want to join the guardians of the veil. So far id just hand-wave them because i dont understand labyrinths but now im gonna have to put spotlight on them.

Does WoD have any sourcebook for human cults ala wod mafia or 13th precinct? I dont know anything about real life non magical cults and my only idea is CoC cannon fodder cultist.

Where i could get more info on them? Does the GotV book explain how a cult works?
>>
>>50011966
Is your player playing a Cultor? Because the GotV do a lot of things that aren't just maintaining the labyrinths, and you could focus on those.
>>
I'm going out and doing something, so no time for a Halloween game this year, unfortunately.

>>50010477

I assume that the World of Darkness and the World of the Chronicles of Darkness still sell "Sexy X" costumes regularly for Halloween.
>>
>>50012314
>the World of the Chronicles of Darkness
This is why I hate the rename. It's either that or just find-replacing "World of Darkness" with "Chronicles of Darkness" which results in a lot of weird grammatical wrongness and awkward sentences.
>>
>>50012314
I dunno. If Witches were real, wouldn't they get pissed off at people wearing slutty witch costumes for Halloween?
>>
>>50012433
I don't think anyone sees the name change as ideal. But the impression I get is that it was either change the name or drop the game.
>>
>>50012433
That is why it is simply, The Chrod.
>>
>>50012527
I get that part, I just feel like WWP/OPP didn't spend any time thinking up a good name to rename it to."

"Say, all these books you've been releasing have been The X Chronicle, right? So you've got a bunch of Chronicles in the World of Darkness? Just call it Chronicles of Darkness. Time to get lunch."

Unfortunately the name "Chronicles of Darkness" sounds incredibly pretentious. It sounds like some teenage wannabe-novelist's "magnum opus".
>>
By the way people, Steam's got a Halloween sale on Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines, which lasts until November 1st.

75% off.

If you're not a pirating pirate who pirates, then I urge you (Yes, you! No, not you, the other, hotter guy!) to grab a copy. If nothing else, you can give to a friend (or future friend) if you wanna help them get into WoD or even CofD (since the themes are pretty similar, to say the least).

>http://store.steampowered.com/app/2600
>>
>>50012433
Just call it what it is. Shit.
>>
>>50012749
I feel like Chronicles of Darkness would have been fine if that's what it was called from the start. The name itself isn't a problem. It's the loss of recognition.

>>50012804
The thread has had enough edition wars. You'll really have to try harder.

>>50012802
I wish this game had been better.
>>
>>50012832
>I wish this game had been better.

What was your particular gripe with it? Because it remains one of my favourite games of all times, and it's widely considered by the gaming community to be a cult classic.

Mind you, I'm not denying it had flaws, but to me they were minor flaws at best that didn't detract from the awesomeness of the whole, so I'm just curious what you found lacking. :)
>>
Can an attack spell be focused to a specific limb? If so does it cause a tilt if it does sufficient damage?
>>
>>50011966
I just look up secret organizations dreamt up by conspiracy theorists and build from there.
>>
>>50012505
>Implying cutes witches don't wear sexy outfits all year round.

Don't ruin this for me plz.
>>
>>50012945
I would allow it, but unless it's cast sympathetically, I would include standard penalty for targeted body part in attack roll as in normal combat.
>>
>>50012899
So many things. I enjoyed the game... at first. But it all starts piling up.

First off, I think the character design on every female character is fucking stupid and I'm glad we're mostly out of the "female characters exist for the male target demographic to jerk off to". Jeanette is the epitome of this. She oozes cringey sex appeal. Don't get me wrong, the voice acting really made it work, and I used the console commands to keep Tourette alive. Imagine my disappointment when that meant fuck all and they stayed in the same place and acted like no time had passed. Every female character (except maybe Samantha and the Nosferatu) feels like it's pandering to a demographic I'm not part of.

That's really only a minor gripe, though. "the game's treatment of women is cringey" ranks pretty low on my problems.

More important are things like... the combat is utter garbage. Full stop. The character is floaty as hell and trying to do melee in an FPS system is not workable.
The tone is inconsistent in a frustrating way. I find it hard to get into the atmosphere of the game when there are stupid puns and dick jokes everywhere as if I was playing GTA with fangs.

The game has some *amazing* examples of well done modern level design. Ocean House Hotel is famous for a reason. Why am I listing this as a negative, then?
Simple: The majority of the levels in this game are fucking dungeon crawling garbage. Ocean House is great and does good atmosphere, but it's the only time I really feel like I'm playing a horror game, except maybe the house on King's Way. And right after King's Way is when the game goes to shit.

The Nosferatu Warrens is a sprawling Vozhd filled shithole of a level and I eventually said fuck it and started noclipping through the levels to get to the good parts.
>>
Do Vampires suffer lethal damage from falling? I assume it's downgraded to bashing.
>>
>>50013539
Jesus christ.
>>
>>50013556
I'm not finished

>>50013539
Oh, also? I have no clue what Isaac's reward was. My game fucked up and nothing I did would make him give me the reward. I finished the game and he still told me to come back for my reward.

The end of the game is a fucking trainwreck mechanically and narratively. Chinatown gives Deus Ex a run for it's money in terms of racist silliness. Getting captured by a triad is great, until it turns out all the tests are stupid and most of them the kind of thing that doesn't work in the system, though I can't remember the specifics.

Everything with the Anarchs is useless. I really wish they were more important. I wish so many things were more important.

The whole thing with the Werewolf was fucking terrible. I just feel like the controls for the game were bad, which makes that section difficult, and that entire sequence just sort of *looked* ugly. The big bad werewolf had a sloppy model.

I'm shooting these off as they come to me, and I'm really on the verge of crashing for sleep. I'm just going to skip to the ending.
The ending is stupid and doesn't work.
There's narratively no moment when Jack could have slipped bombs in the sarcophagus. If Caine was behind it all--as was clearly the original intent, Word of White Wolf that the Cabby is only a Malkavian Methuselah who thinks he's Caine be damned--that makes no fucking sense. Clearly he wasn't in the coffin--we see the king sitting with Jack--and the idea that Caine would fuck with some tiny little shithole Camarilla domain for no reason doesn't sit well with me. It serves no fucking purpose. I don't even think it jives with the Caine in that novel with Beckett, either, but I don't really care.

It's just such a dumb ending.
Also, for the record, I told everyone to go fuck themselves. I don't particularly feel like playing it again, because I know I'd have to go through so much garbage. Like Ventrue Tower! Holy shit I almost forgot. I Godmodded that shitheap and it was still a chore.
>>
>>50013641
Last note before I pass out:
The Malk you play as that everyone loves is a Fishmalk through and through, and is just one more example of how /tg/ actually loves a That Guy.
>>
>>50013539
>>50013641
>>50013660

I still have no clue why you thought you would enjoy a game known for being janky over a decade ago in a setting you don't even like. You've really got to learn to listen when someone says "No, don't bother, you won't like this".
>>
>>50013548
Theyd suffer lethal. Falling, y'know, breaks bones and shit. Bullets are bashing because the vampires don't need their organs. Falling pulverizes bone and shit.
>>
>>50013660
So yeah.

I want a Bloodlines that doesn't suck. I want the game that Santa Monica made me think I'd be playing. I want good acting and good choices. I want Deus Ex, not GTA. I want characters that don't feel like cartoon characters. I want a world to explore that isn't filled with silly jokes that make me roll my eyes. Also I want more of that really shitty goth music. The Asylum's track is great.
Although the entire world being papered with gothic industrial band posters feels ridiculous.

Oh, right! My game also fucked up and I didn't get Heather. I told her to go to my Haven and she just never showed up. Maybe she was with whatever reward Gary promised.
>>
>>50013697
That's interesting. So the best way to fend off a vampire if you don't have fire is to try and toss them off a ledge.
>>
>>50013692
Because the early bits of the game are really good.

And I was playing with the patch! I mean, I know the patch wasn't going to fix the combat, but at first I could get through everything with stealth. I did like it. Despite all of this, I liked it at first. It was dumb, but it was still enjoyable. But then when they were meeting forced deadlines they just shoved shit into the box and called it a game. Bloodlines is WHY I wanted to like the One World of Darkness. And why I'm frustrated that it seems like I won't. I liked a lot of Bloodlines, but then the game falls apart and it's fucking shit.

It's Valve and Activision's fault.
>>
So which presidential nominee is a member of the gentry and why? How do we banish them back to Arcadia
>>
>>50013733

I hate to say "I told you so", but I told you so. It's still a classic of immersive gaming, but if you have no patience for the quality dropoff and you don't like the writing enough to carry it, it's just not going to be a good time. That's just how playing old games work, I'm afraid.
>>
>>50012899
It pretty much slowly falls apart after the Santa Monica arc, and falls flat on its face once you hit the sewers.

Especially when it becomes apparent that if you made a noncombat character (because the early game was full of stealth and talky solutions) you're fucked.
>>
>>50013641
>There's narratively no moment when Jack could have slipped bombs in the sarcophagus

I always kind of expected some thing about him and the driver.

Remember the archaeologist? In his dialog tree he admits there may have been someone helping him along. Odd point one

Also remember the Elisabeth Dane. Someone slaughtered the crew. If the person inside was just the skeleton, than who did it?

I think Jack did it. Part of his back story if you bother asking, is that he was once a Pirate. My theory is that Driver set things up with the archaeologist before he came over, Jack Set up the Ship to be discovered that way. Then slipped the bombs in afterwards.

As for why? idk seemed like they were just two dicks looking to have a laugh. shrugs
>>
>>50013539
>GTA with fangs

You say this like it's a bad thing.
>>
File: Chicago By Night 1e.jpg (97KB, 377x500px) Image search: [Google]
Chicago By Night 1e.jpg
97KB, 377x500px
I want to go on record of saying that Chicago by Night 1st Edition is the best setting for WoD, hands down. No other published setting book, WoD or CofD, can compare to the pure distilled awesome that is the original Chicago setting. Although Milwaukee was decent, the rest were utter shit. Especially Berlin by Night and the three Revised setting books (New York, Cairo, Mexico City).

Lodin was the coolest Prince I had ever seen in a published setting, shame that the metaplot kills him off. Luckily, I don't use the metaplot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-L0NpaErkk
>>
>>50014053
I can buy Jack attacking the ship. The problem I have is how and when he managed to put the explosives in the sarcophagus. They weren't in while it was on the ship, it is unlikely he put them in while it was in the museum, and even less likely while it was in the Giovanni mansion. Unless he stole the sarcophagus for the Giovanni and put the bombs in while he's at it, but I doubt they'd trust some Anarch asshole for the job.
>>
>>50013641
>There's narratively no moment when Jack could have slipped bombs in the sarcophagus.

While most of your arguments and complaints are understandable, I should point out this one; Jack's heavily implied to have been the guy who slaughtered everyone on the Elizabeth Dane ship. If you talk to Professor Johansen and have enough persuasion/intimidation, you find out that he never actually *found* the sarcophagus. He was instead sent a package which detailed the location of the sarcophagus and the key, which is again, at the ending, heavily implied to have been Jack. And professor also reveals that the key was actually lost before the Sarcophagus was stolen, which perplexed the Professor... but that was because Jack didn't want anyone to reach the "endgame" too fast by opening the coffin before everybody had gotten all hot and bothered about it.
>>
>>50013539
>"female characters exist for the male target demographic to jerk off to"

But that's the point, same thing with the clubs, they are there to show that vampires would normally indulge in carnal pleasures and dwell in these kind of places. Try to think about it, they are vampires, the whole idea here is that they don't care.

Now, if you are talking about a stiff character I agree with you completely, they can't simply make a character stand there as if nothing happened after you complete a certain event.
>>
>>50014311
>>50014390

I'm thinking the bombs were slipped in at the same time the key was stolen.

You had to have the key to open the box. And we know the key landed in the lap of the eastern vampires. (not going to bother remembering the name sorry least a storm blows over my head)
>>
>>50014560
>I'm thinking the bombs were slipped in at the same time the key was stolen.

Or, seeing as Jack knew the location of both key and the sarcophagus (Johansen mentioned how it was incredibly "lucky" that the key was pretty much right *next* to the sarcophagus when they found out, and how odd that that the sarcophagus hadn't been looted long ago), he simply slipped in the bombs long before Johansen even found the sarcophagus, or before it got loaded onto the Elizabeth Dane.

Alternatively, Jack slipped them in during the massacre on the Elizabeth Dane, seeing as he had access to both sarcophagus and key at that point (and plenty of time to do it, seeing as the Elizabeth Dane was left adrift and empty for several days).
>>
Character idea.

An awakened farmer. Thanks to a combination of life magic and a potent hallow on his farm/sanctum the farmer waters his crops and livestock with tass. The high yield high quality produce and livestock is highly valued in the surrounding counsilia.
>>
>>50014697
I think the sarcophagus was open while you visit the Dane. I'd also be surprised if the archaeologists or the police didn't do some preliminary scans on it and thus detect the bombs when they took it.
>>
>>50012296
>Because the GotV do a lot of things that aren't just maintaining the labyrinths, and you could focus on those.

Do they? I didnt read their order book but i though their main thing was offing bad mages and keeping labyrinths, what else they do?
>>
>>50014697
>I think the sarcophagus was open while you visit the Dane. I'd also be surprised if the archaeologists or the police didn't do some preliminary scans on it and thus detect the bombs when they took it.

That's why it was being brought to the museum; Johansen mentions that they had X-rays and other technical stuff to examine the sarcophagus with, but it got stolen before they could get a good look at it.
>>
>>50014269
>New York

Whats the problem with New York by night? A friend is thinking of running it because he heard it was pretty awesome setting book?
>>
>>50014767
They're the main source of intel on the Seers (and the rest of the Pentacle's enemies), they do a lot of counter-intel and misinformation campaigns, they do cleanup when magic gets out of hand (it's going to be a Guardian with the Death Arcanum doing first aid on the souls of any Sleepers who suffered an Integrity break due to that massive paradox a thearch pulled down because "paradox is a tool of the Exarchs", and giving followup care (possibly alongside a Mind Mage) trying to get their psyche back to normal as Dissonance sets in...
>>
>>50014697
The coffin was open on the dane. You get to see it open. The key must have been stolen a little bit after that. And then the eatern vampires got the key not long after that.

>Jack Stuff bombs during or aftetr the Boat and the key either gets handed to the Eastern vamps or is left in such a way for them to steal it.
>>
Are you guys having halloween sessions over the weekend or in the coming week?

I'm trying to put together a small interlude in my Vampire campaign, based on Japanese mythology, having a bit of trouble getting that authentic feel though.
>>
File: ruh-roh.jpg (87KB, 839x819px)
ruh-roh.jpg
87KB, 839x819px
You have been hired to create a new WoD/CoD game using a supernatural creature not yet featured in the series.

Which do you choose?
>>
>>50015648
Princess The Noble
>>
>>50015671
Senpai The Fangirl
>>
>>50015648
Onyx Path: The Disbanding
>>
>>50015648
Dracula: the Ass-Blasting
>>
>>50015648
Slav: the Moonshining
>>
>>50014863
New York is only good if you like the specific metaplot events connected to it such as the Tzimisce Antediluvian and Ur-Shulgi.

Chicago is a better setting because it works both with the metaplot and without it, making it more versatile.
>>
>>50015863
>Gypsies
>>
>>50015259
>The coffin was open on the dane. You get to see it open.

No, you see *handprints* that seem to indicate it being open, due to the placement of the handprints seeming to be halfway hidden under the lid. You don't actually ever see the inside of the sarcophagus, nor is there any way to peek inside, until you get to the ending.

I loaded up my Bloodlines copy and I am literally staring at the sarcophagus on the Dane right now. It's not open. If my PC didn't have problems taking screenshots I'd upload a pic to prove it.
>>
I hear that Chronicles of Darkness is different from World of Darkness, in that it's more a set of rules for horror role-playing than a setting with its own lore and canon. Is this accurate?
>>
File: Ankaran_Sarcophagus.png (4MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Ankaran_Sarcophagus.png
4MB, 1280x1024px
>>50015259
>>50015906

Scratch what I said, I found a pic on the internet.

As you can see, it's not actually open.
>>
>>50015931
It does have a setting, but it's not the all compassing metaplot of oWoD and it can easily be ignored if you wish to.
>>
File: shakeOnIt.jpg (101KB, 750x539px) Image search: [Google]
shakeOnIt.jpg
101KB, 750x539px
>>50016177
How much do the Strix actually suck?
>>
>>50015648
The Creature from the Black Lagoon.
>>
>>50016478

Like dirty secrets of the black hand.
>>
>>50015648
Fext: the Invincible

>>50015951
Could you try noclip inside? I'm just curious if there is some hint from devs. IIRC in Half-Life you could look this way inside G-Man's briefcase.
>>
>>50016478
Crunchwise or fluffwise? They're alright mechanically, if a tad predictable. I think they work in the Roman setting, but are a bit out of place outside of it. I personally prefer to use VII as the unknowable antagonists for modern vampires.

I combine the third origin story from their book with the popular theory of vampire Lincoln being a big player to make them brainwashed catspaws of VALKYIRIE
>>
>>50016559
So they're a ancient conspiracy with a city in the underworld, that want to upstart the end times and slaughter an entire clan and plunge a political faction into unending civil war? Neat
>>
>>50016559
Hey, I liked Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand!

Say what you want about Dirty Secrets, but Time of Thin Blood, Berlin by Night, and Gypsies were all far, far worse.

And yes, the Strix are awful.
>>
>>50013909
You told me nothing. Everyone in the world hyped it.
>>50014053
The only real 'satisfying' explanation is that no one was in the coffin and ~Caine~ was just following it around making everyone in the area spooked. Then he or Jack slaughtered everyone ~Just because~ and stole the skeleton.
It's clear they had one idea starting out and then had to rush to come up with a different explanation, and what they came up with sucks.
>>
>>50012749
>sounds incredibly pretentious. It sounds like some teenage wannabe-novelist's "magnum opus".
So it's like a perfect fit then?
>>
>>50013539
Complaining about sexy vampires is pretty ridiculous.
>>
>>50016815
It's not the sexy, it's the way the sexy is used.
>>
>>50016725

Oh, I did, you just didn't listen. Everyone hypes it to the moon, but they're also pretty open about the game's faults. Bloodline's second half quality drop is one of the most common points brought up about it. If you're not used to playing janky games, or if you don't like the setting and writing enough for it to carry it, that second half is going to come down even worse.

It was pretty obvious from the get go that you weren't really going to enjoy it for long, and I still don't know why you didn't just put it away one you stopped enjoying it. Life's too short, you know?
>>
>>50016832
>If you're not used to playing janky games
I feel like you're underselling it. I enjoyed Enter The Matrix. That's a jank game.
I actually played Bloodlines years ago and enjoyed it, and that's why I was quick to buy it when it was on sale last year.
>>
>>50016828
I'm just not seeing it. It's a sexy vampire game set in seedy L.A.
>>
>>50016847

I think there's just enough jank in Bloodlines to label it that way. Then again, a lot of my favorite games are janky-ass games, so maybe it is an overgeneralization.
>>
>>50010963
>>50011060
Do you actually know what Deviant is? Because last I checked Hunter didn't let you play Akira.
>>
>>50016847
No one denies it's a game with flaws, but what it gets rights it gets really right. There aren't that many games that even try to do what it tried to do.
If its flaws overshadowed its strengths for you, personally, that's a pity. But that doesn't mean that all the people for whom that's not true are wrong.

If anyone's interested, here's a decent analysis i watched recently. I think it does a pretty good job of summing it all up.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFLdh7g9dBU&index=2&list=PL8aR0h_Hzu7FFgN7aZtWXyZsIylVm9lsY
>>
>>50016988

But, you see, Cherion can do everything that happens to a Deviant, like transplanting the part of a Mage's brain that does magic into your brain so you become an Akira, therefore it is just Hunter again, clearly.
>>
>>50017036
I can't tell if you're joking.
>>
>>50017043
I think he's joking.

That said, there is a very evident and clear thematic overlap between the Cheiron group and Deviant. Curious if they'll acknowledge it beyond "nuhuh Hunters signed for it and you're a victim ablooblooblooo"
>>
>>50017043

>"My game's super cool because you can be an Akira OR an Orphan Black because you got a Mage brain attached to your brain, which I think is cool and canon and good as hell, to me."
>Damon Burgundy, Mage the Awakening and Deviant the Renegades developer
>>
>>50015648
Pumpkin: The Carving
Skeleton: The Rattling
Zombie: The Shambling
>>
>>50015931
That's somewhat true. World has a very detailed setting with lots of metaplot. In contrast, chronicles is more a toolbox, setting-wise. It has more of an implied setting. Some setting stuff is true because it's baked into the rules, but a lot of stuff is left up to the GM to decide. A lot of stuff is given multiple explanation for you to choose from. So a lot of it's setting is more suggestions and stuff you can use for inspiration rather than there being some carved in stone canon.
>>
>>50016546
>Creature: The Lagooning
ftfy.
>>
>>50016683
Gypsies is the least shit out of that list, its only fault is going into stereotypical representation of a minority instead of a sexual or gender identity. Since transexuals being magical in a bunch of cultures is OKAY but bloodlines or romas is raycist.
>>
>>50016947
I meant that Bloodlines is more than just janky.

>>50016891
I'm getting ready to leave, but this article is good
https://quinnae.com/2011/09/02/im-being-so-sincere-right-now-gaming-as-hyperreality/

>>50017015
I've watched that before, but never finished it. Honestly, I don't think that it's one of the great computer RPGs of that era. I haven't even finished Deus Ex but I think Deus Ex is more worthy of that title (and it kind of loses a bit of oomph when suddenly you have a lightsaber that one shots everything). I think that it barely being finished makes it unworthy of that title. If you consider the game up to about Hollywood, sure, but as a finished product? No.
I mean, I don't think anyone even plays it without the Unofficial Patch.
>>
>>50016478
Is this a mechanical thing? I quite like the idea of even worse smoke Vampires, do the rules not do them any favours?
>>
>>50016609
>So they're a ancient conspiracy with a city in the underworld, that want to upstart the end times and slaughter an entire clan and plunge a political faction into unending civil war? Neat

More like an unneeded addition to the game that bring nothing that could not be done with what was already there.
>>
>>50017345
I feel like you're confused about how to use the Strix and what a "Strix Chronicle" actually is.

Also, I'd disagree. Strix bring quite a bit to the table. They're the Beast without The Man, if nothing else.
>>
>>50017148
You didn't even finish Deus Ex? I don't really think you're an authority on this subject. And yeah, Deus Ex is better, but that doesn't mean Bloodlines isn't still a classic. You don't actually have to choose, more than one game can be good. And yeah, of course people use the patch, why wouldn't you? Again, no one is saying it's perfect, but it's still better than a lot of the competition. Classics don't need to be perfect.

And you're still complaining about sexy vampires being in sexy vampire: the rpg.
>>
>>50017407
I didn't say I was an authority. Nor did I imply it, though you may have inferred it.
Arguing that something can be good in spite of it's flaws is fine. But Bloodlines isn't even a finished product, and requires a third party to be barely functional at best. The first half of the game is a classic. I honestly don't think all the people who reinstall it finish it.

And saying that the argument was complaining about sexy vampires being sexy is missing a whole hell of a lot of nuance. I like sexy vampires. But there's the way that the sexy is portrayed and used. It's pandering and juvenile.

Also, I get distracted easily, so I tend to get halfway through a game and then not play it so long that I don't want to come back to it. I mean, I need to completely restart Dragonfall one of these days, since coming back to it after a year would mean I've forgotten half the story. But when my experience with half a game is better than my experience with a whole game, that makes me confused as to why the whole game (''''whole''' game) is treated as one of four pillars. Then again, maybe Deus Ex's back half is also garbage and buggy.
>>
>>50015648
Dullahan: The Headache
>>
>>50017471
Shut the fuck up aspel.
>>
>>50017558
I would like to prescribe to your news letter, to get updates on this new and exciting product
>>
>>50017147
Nah, I don't like that shit either, but by the time WW/OP started making trans people magical, I had already tuned out and gave up on WW/OP.

On a similar topic, name some WW books you like that most seem to hate. Can be either WoD or CofD.

Here's my picks....

>Destiny's Price
>World of Darkness: Mafia
>Dirty Secrets of the Black Hand
>The Players Guide 1E
>The 2E clanbooks instead of the Revised ones
>Montreal by Night (not as good as Chicago or Milwaukee, but decent)
>Freak Legion (it's funny in a gross-out sort of way)
>HunterTheReckoning
>>
>>50017833
Also, additions to that list

>Demon Hunter X (the rest of KOTE sucked though)
>Project Twilight
>Changeling: The Dreaming
>>
>>50017833
>Hunter the Reckoning hate

Literally the most /tg/ beloved nwod splat.
>>
>>50017852
Nah, Hunter: The Vigil is nWoD, you're thinking of Vigil.

Hunter: The Reckoning is oWoD and has very few fans and a lot of haters. It also got a hack-and-slash game for PS2.

I like Vigil and Reckoning both though.
>>
>>50017833

Changeling the Dreaming is a guilty pleasure of mine. I think it could actually be really good with some overhaul.
>>
>>50017895
Agreed
>>
>>50017655
Driven to retrieve their missing heads, our hapless heroes have to deal with the fact that their thoughts grow more hazy the further they get from their prized bodypart. This can make things difficult.
>>
File: 200px-Rodrick_Ferrell.jpg (11KB, 200x246px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Rodrick_Ferrell.jpg
11KB, 200x246px
Martin Ericsson is what would happen if Rod Ferrell hadn't killed a middle-aged couple in Florida and instead got a job at Paradox Interactive.

I feel as if Martin Ericsson also fits in the category of people those over-the-top disclaimers in later oWoD books were intended for.

Pic related
>>
>>50018500
Martin Ericsson: Looks like Steven Segal, sounds like Dracula, and acts like Rod Ferrell (minus the killing part)

Just sayin'
>>
>>50017369
>I feel like you're confused about how to use the Strix and what a "Strix Chronicle" actually is

The pretensious new name of New New Vampire? But sure i will bite, how you think they are suppose to be use aspel?

>>50017369
>Also, I'd disagree. Strix bring quite a bit to the table. They're the Beast without The Man, if nothing else.

I say they are uneeded because vampire society doesnt need a big bad unknowable enemy. The worst enemy vampire society has is vampire society.

Thats why VII is shit. Any of their option, each more retarded that the last.

An external enemy could be needed to rattle the cage/elder plans and that position is perfectly fill with belial brood or another covenant or just a hunter sect or just other supernatural.

Beast without a man? A beast without a man could be better exemplify with an humanity 0 vampire or one of those revenants (i think) who are humans killed during feeding. What exactly does beast without the man, personified by the strix, bring to the table?
>>
>>50018561

Man, I'd really like some more Belial's Brood support for 2e. Not super related to your post but just a thought.
>>
>>50018585
>>
>>50017852
>Hunter the Reckoning hate
>Literally the most /tg/ beloved nwod splat.

Except for w few groups of Tier 3 Hunters, they're really not a splat at all. at least as is generally understood within the context of CofD characters.

It's arguably the source of conflict between Hunder fans and other in that the fans want Hunters to remain totally human, with all the benefits, yet have cool superpowers and advantages of a supernatural. Even mages, with all their purported superiority, cannot pull that tick off. For instance, recall the constant arguments about how many Hunter fans expect human hunters to be immune to matters like the Quiescence and Lunacy for no other reason than they're Hunters.

I do not envy how Monica intends to thread that needles in Hunter 2e.
>>
If someone were to home-cook a new combined dark fantasy setting, what sort of things would you like to see that WoD lacks?
>>
>>50016815
Honestly, I feel that the whole sexy thing when used in games should require some cumulative upkeep. Because grooming and fashion takes time and money. A lot of time and money. Time and money that could be being used for other things.
>>
>>50018919
>grooming and fashion takes time and money

... or magic!
>>
>>50019000
Yes, and magic generally involves acquiring a skill or learning a spell or buying some magical doodad to confer the effect. Time and money.

You know what they say. You can either get a +1 Charisma bonus or you can make your blood auto-immolate. You can't have both.
>>
>>50018834
Merits There done
>>
>>50019067
>You know what they say. You can either get a +1 Charisma bonus or you can make your blood auto-immolate. You can't have both

Spoken like a person who doesny play enough Mage: The Wankening
>>
The phrasing is a little unclear - a Life mage can use Salt the Earth to instantly kill a dude, right?
>>
>>50019258
>This destructive spell rips the very life-force from an area or an individual, rendering it incapable of sustaining life. Plants, animals, and even fungi in the area die.
Seems pretty clear to me Anon. If you're the subject, you're fucking dead.
>>
>>50019801
It kinda sounds like you're giving him antibiotics more than killing him.
>>
>>50020232
Last I checked, anti-biotics don't rip the life force from an individual.
>>
File: woodfaceChicken.jpg (135KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
woodfaceChicken.jpg
135KB, 500x667px
Mage: The Master Debater

At what point do you saw fuck everything in mage? Like you're cosmic god, nothing can touch you and when you wank off in the corner you basically solve the plot in two turns
>>
>>50021448
At the moment of Ascension.
Before that, there's always a bigger fish.
>>
>>50021458
Remind me what Ascension is? It's something you do after becoming an archmaster, right?
>>
>>50022043
It's when the ST forcibly retires your min-maxxed Mary Sue, after you used Matter to turn the Antediluvian threatening the world into a lawn chair.
>>
>>50022043
When your study of the mysteries of the Supernal culminate in your final revalation provides you with the true inspiration you need to entirely shed your mortal coil and your mind and soul truly ascend to the Supernal realms to exist for all of time as a majestic God-Being dwelling entirely within the realm of pure imagination.

Many Mages achieve it as the final step in their study of Arch-Mastery, involving the 10th Practice of an Arcanum.
However this is far from the only method, and it is possible (amongst other methods) to engage in an Archmastery fueled right which changes the universe in such a manner as to achieve your Ascension.
To find a fallen Supernal God and reinstate them to their former glory, holding on to their coat-tails as they Ascend.
And in reaching Gnosis 10 and becoming the living Supernal Embodiment of your Legacy.
>>
File: Izetta.jpg (24KB, 510x288px) Image search: [Google]
Izetta.jpg
24KB, 510x288px
I miss red head Obrimos. Where Can Libertine Acanthus like me find one to date.
>>
For anyone curious about the TSW setting I mentioned earlier. Mind the fact the playlist is reversed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKa9oNBRZZM&list=PLlxcCQcv5giDRsnXcBB8O1lrvJ47SR5qn&index=6
>>
File: Daira.jpg (101KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
Daira.jpg
101KB, 900x900px
>>50017852
>>50017867
HtR should have been the compilation, refinement and update of all of the previously published hunter material from the other game lines made into a core book that would allow you to take on anything in the WoD with no extraneous material and a few other materials.

But that would have required WWGS/WWP to make smart business decisions.
>>
>>50018561
A Strix Chronicle is one particular focus for a Chronicle of Vampire: The Requiem: Second Edition. It's not "the new metaplot" or anything like that.

The Strix are not "needed". That doesn't mean that they can't be an interesting "outside context problem". It's focused around an antagonist that causes confusion and paranoia within any All Night Society that it touches. And that's the point of the Strix. They're something strange and unusual that *isn't* part of the typical Vampire society. Belial's Brood or another covenant or a Hunter group doesn't fill that position the way the Strix do. They're an ancient antagonist that above all else isn't and never was human. A Humanity 0 Vampire or a Revenant is still a human, it's not the night monster tied to the potential origins of vampirism that a Strix is.
And the thing about it is that you aren't required to use the Strix any more than when they showed up in Requiem for Rome or Wicked Dead.

They're a Vampire problem that exists outside of Vampire society. Just like the Idigam are a problem that exists outside of Werewolf society, and the Huntsmen are a problem that exists outside of changeling society, and whatever masked ghost there will be in 2e exists outside of Sin-eater society.

>>50018834
That's Vigil, and they're a "splat" because they're a gameline. Also, the fuzzy divide between human and nonhuman is one of the themes of Hunter.
>>
>>50019258
>>50019801
>>50020232
Salt the Earth doesn't kill everyone. It stops things from living for the Duration. It even mentions that things can survive. The spell doesn't outright kill things, it just makes the area unable to sustain life.
The mechanical effect of this is that it creates an Extreme Environment effect equal to the Potency.
(This isn't the only time they've done it, but I really have no idea how you can have an Extreme Environment equal to Potency, or Wyrd, or anything else; the only ones listed as "Extreme" are "Extreme Heat" and "Extreme Cold", and they're two Environment Tilts without actual ratings; presumably any of the other Environmental Tilts can be created, or a new one. There's at least on Changeling thing that does the same "equal to X" for Extreme Heat)
>>
>>50023528
>Salt the Earth doesn't kill everyone
Fair enough.
A single-target version of Unmaking however would kill a living being in an instant however.
>>
>>50023582
Doesn't even need to be single-target. Make it an AoE. Unmake anything that doesn't have enough Stamina to Withstand the spell.
>>
File: not-this-shit-again.jpg (156KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
not-this-shit-again.jpg
156KB, 1920x1080px
>>50022069
>after you used Matter to turn the Antediluvian threatening the world into a lawn chair.

M20 has an entire list for why doing this is really, really dumb and not as awe-inspiring as one might think.

1. It’s vulgar. Really vulgar. As in, there is no way to possibly justify this by paradigm-level vulgar. Paradox is inevitable.

2. It’s got to overcome the innate resistance a vampire has to such spells.

3. It must inflict enough successes, after countermagick, to bring that vampire from full strength to Incapacitated. For a young vampire, that would demand at least four successes (eight health levels); the same feat might demand five, six, seven, or even more successes if the mage is trying to convert an elder Kindred.

4. If using the divided successes option, then the player must devote at least that many successes to the transformation damage. That means that a four-success roll will change the vampire into a lawn chair for one turn. After that, the lawn chair becomes a vampire again – and the mage had better have a good escape spell handy at that point or his name becomes "bloody wallpaper".

5. In order to effect a lasting transformation, the player must either spend or roll additional successes, as shown on the "Base Damage or Duration" chart. Turning a young vampire into a chair for one day, for instance, would require at least seven successes.

6. Vampires with the Protean or Vicissitude Disciplines can transform back to their original form with very little trouble. The vampire must spend one Blood Point for each success the mage rolled. Every point negates one success on the Arete roll, and the vampire changes back when those successes are all negated.

7. The transformed vampire is still a vampire, and that vampire remains conscious. Said vampire may use any Discipline that doesn’t require moving her limbs.

I'd copy-paste the rest as well, but I felt these were the most important "this is dumb, now you die" points to address.
>>
Anyone watch the Lore podcast? its pretty cool and creepy.
>>
>>50024318

...link? I have no idea what you are talking about, but would like to.
>>
>>50022101
>>50023519
I think I found the Dave!!
>>
>>50024463
http://www.lorepodcast.com/
Its a podcast that just talks about creepy urban legends and myths. First episode is about Vampires.
>>
>>50025175

Wrong again!
>>
So, if you could run a Halloween game of WoD/CofD, what would you run? I think I'd run a simple ghost story, or maybe a CofD 2e update of the 1e quickstart.
>>
>>50025547
Damn I thought I found you.

Well either way I got a question for ya.

You recently mentioned that only humans have and Oneirios and Temenos. And I'm perfectly ok with that it makes sense.
But do the other supernaturals still have a personal soul "layer" of the astral? Similar but not quite a Oneirios.
>>
>>50025547
>>50025645
Yeah, if Changelings don't have Oneiros or Temenos, what plothook/way would you suggest if I want to do Changelings vs Beast epic dream battle?
>>
>>50023941
>M20

Pffffffffffffffft. Yeah, sure, buddy. Got a ruleset that isn't complete shit?

>vampires
>countermagick

Get the fuck out of here. I'm not even kidding. Go fellate Satyros Brocato somewhere else.
>>
>>50023941
If you're an Arete 9-10 Mage right on the cusp of Ascension you SHOULD be able to fuck up an Antediluvian. You're one of the most powerful things POSSIBLE in your setting, just like it is.
>>
>>50023528
>o idea how you can have an Extreme Environment equal to Potency, or Wyrd, or anything else; the only ones listed as "Extreme" are "Extreme Heat" and "Extreme Cold", and they're two Environment Tilts without actual ratings;

Environmental Tilts are not the same thing as Extreme Environments.

Extreme Environments are explained in the basic rules section on page 224 of Mage 2e, while the Tilts and Conditions are separate in Appendix 3.

It's very confusing, particularly with Forces effects where both the terms are used constantly.
>>
>>50025175
I don't think Dave has anything to do with Vampire.

>>50026545
Oh, I see. I guess that makes sense. I would have thought that these rules would be Tilts.
>>
My hunter may have been sleeping with a witch, we're not sure yet. Does that qualify as sticking your dick in crazy?
>>
>>50026941

Depends on the witch.
>>
>>50026941
Unless she's the kind that gets Source by burning down orphanages, I don't see the problem.
>>
>>50026386
>Got a ruleset that isn't complete shit?

Anon you are on a wod/Chrod thread, all rulesets are shit
>>
>>50025915
Inception
>>
>>50026941
Check for STDs son, you might have a cancerous cell
>>
>>50026386
>Satyros Brocato
Why did anyone give this man editorial license? M20 is SO confused contradictory and bloated they had to make ANother confused contradictory book to explain their fucking magic system. I mean damn the magic section is shorter than revised's. And that thing could explain how tellascrying worked.

And fucking Locking an Effect is so much self explainable bullshit, that it would have been better to have no explanation. Cause fuckers confuse locking with targeting.
>>
>>50027206

Because he's the only MtAsc developer that people still kind of like and is actually willing to write a new Mage book.
>>
>>50026539
>If you're an Arete 9-10 Mage right on the cusp of Ascension you SHOULD be able to fuck up an Antediluvian. You're one of the most powerful things POSSIBLE in your setting, just like it is.

Oh, absolutely. And no, that's not sarcasm, I actually agree; at that level, mages probably *should* give Antedeluvians and Methuselahs a run for their money.

But, most mages aren't at Arete 9-10. And most vampires aren't antedeluvians. And, as already mentioned, trying to turn said vampire into a lawnchair is still really, really dumb, even if you *can* do it.

I mean, if all the mage wants to do is teach some young vampires respect after they mouthed off to him, then I would totally understand Gandalf 2.0 turning a coterie of newly-fledged vampires (like a pack of Sabbat shovelheads) into his new living room for a few days or some shit. Or just tosing them into the fireplace, that works too.

But, if it was Super-Dumbledore fighting against Super-Dracula, that's not the sort of shit anyone would want to see making an appearance, even if they *did* pull it off for more than a moment before the vampire went "lol no, good trick tho, let's get serious" and insta-transformed back.

If you're fighting world-ending apocalyptic threats, it should be done seriously, especially in a setting like WoD.

Going "lol, i turn it into a chair, ololololol roflmao, tips fedora" is no better than having a gaming group comprised entirely of fish-malks all trying to out-fish each other.
>>
>>50023941
>>50027407
What if, instead of trying to transform the vampire into anything, I just transmute some of the air around us into sunlight
>>
File: neardark03.jpg (37KB, 700x388px) Image search: [Google]
neardark03.jpg
37KB, 700x388px
>>50027407
thank the dev chronicles has a powerstat to enforce meta-physical weight, instead of eyeballing generation stat. Gen stat= haha fuck your player decisions get fucked. BloodPot= haha work for the next fifty years or go eat a dude
>>
File: Clever.jpg (10KB, 548x451px) Image search: [Google]
Clever.jpg
10KB, 548x451px
>>50027039
Clever Anon.
>>
>>50027407
Let's be honest. In any realistic setting there would never be some profound DBZ power battle at play. It would come down to who can hire the better assassin.

Doesn't matter if you're a demigod or some demipotent ancient undead. I mean, fuck. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6IKub2Knq60
>>
How was your first hunt in Werewolf, anons?
>>
>>50027503
>What if, instead of trying to transform the vampire into anything, I just transmute some of the air around us into sunlight

That's a valid tactic, sure. Probably won't instantly kill it, though; Fortitude alone at the highest levels (especially Antedeluvian "Plot Device" levels) can shrug off a *lot* of punishment, even from direct sunlight. That's not going into the other methods for avoiding damage from sunlight an antedeluvian can cook up (like several lesser vampires have already managed with varying degrees of success).

Plus, Antedeluvians will have a lot more health to go around than the usual run of the mill vampire. If I recall, Zaphatasura in the Week of Nightmares had to get sunlight directly focused onto it with the help of several orbital mirrors in order to actually die from exposure to sunlight. And that's not acounting for the neutron bombs and the Boddhisatvas it had been fighting for an entire day weakening it first.
>>
>>50027558
one fighter to take out a space wizard? It's only worth it because of this fuckers track record. Basically the pilot made a questionable air combat decision to equalize the ground situation from a auto loss to a fighting chance.

>In any realistic setting there would never be some profound DBZ power battle at play. It would come down to who can hire the better assassin
fairs fair, its all cloak and dagger, and if you're in open combat something has gone terribly wrong. But on the flip side, not having those cool combat moments every once in a while is missed opportunity. Lets just be happy PCs are dumb as bricks
>>
>>50027630
A mouthy kitsune
>>
>>50027669
>If I recall, Zaphatasura in the Week of Nightmares had to get sunlight directly focused onto it with the help of several orbital mirrors in order to actually die from exposure to sunlight.

That's because it was night in Bangladesh at the time, so they needed to refocus the still lit part of the Earth
>>
>no new product for any of the gamelines I care about in what feels like ages
>meanwhile other RPGs are consistently pushing out quality stuff at a much faster rate

I want to love OPP but this release schedule has literally killed my interest in all of their properties, fuck
>>
>>50027809

Benefits of having in-house writers and/or focusing on one project line at a time. OPP's got none of that, unfortunately.

New WWP doesn't seem like it'll be any better, too.
>>
>>50027630

A raccon spirit
>>
>>50027864
>focusing on one project line at a time

Here's what frustrates me about this. Demon: the Descent had its Kickstarter and funded a ton of extra books, all of which were out and done and really good in a super speedy fashion... meanwhile Mummy: the Curse crowdfunded before that and its books still aren't done, and we've yet to see a single release out of Beast's supplements yet. And while the focus is on the new hotness, we get shit like Vampire not getting new content for two years while Werewolf got its first supplement already and Mage might beat it as well. Hunter 2e was announced, had like two blog posts, and has promptly vanished into the aether. Hurt Locker's drafts were shown off, what, a year ago?

It feels schizophrenic and hilariously unfocused, and meanwhile more Kickstarters keep happening.
>>
>>50027721
>>50027669
>>50027669
Zapathasura is the litmus test for Antediluvians, really.

He'd been fighting for 3 days...
* He fouught a whole sept of Garou
* He fought an army of Kuei-jin
* This army included three Boddhisatvahs, which are like Methuselahs for Kuei-jin
* The Kuei-jin magicked up a storm so they could fight in the day. Storm also kept out the magic sunlight.
* He wasn't dead when the 3 spirit nukes were dropped, but that killed the Kueijin and dispelled the storm, and the light could get in.
* And then he was deaded and his childer went even MORE cray.
>>
>>50027719
>>50027905
But how was it...?
Is this real?
>>
>>50027721
>That's because it was night in Bangladesh at the time, so they needed to refocus the still lit part of the Earth

"Time of Thin Blood" still mentions that Zapathasura saw *four* suns when the clouds finally parted. I do think that line's rather important, since if all that was needed was a little sunlight, they could have just said that, but instead they deliberately mention "quadrupled sunlight".

Even so, however... lesser vampires have survived longer stretches of time in sunlight. Beckett apparently once ran the length of a football field in direct sunlight and lived, and he's just 7th Gen. Level 9-10 of Fortitude would allow for a lot of leeway in lessening (or outright nullifying) the damage of sunlight during a battle with a mage.

Obviously, I'm not saying Antedeluvians can usually ignore the effects of the daylight, they can't; but if a mage were to turn air into sunlight (and keep said sunlight from dispersing like regular light would do in the absence of a light-source), the Antedeluvian (or Methuselah for that matter) probably wouldn't down easy either way.
>>
>>50027941

It all comes down to the writers and the project devs, it seems. If a dev's day job (since we all know RPG writing is not something you do for a living) gets in the way, or if a writer's day job or life makes them late, the whole project gets delayed.

On the bright side, we may or may not have had Hunter 2e confirmed to be in the writing stage in this thread.
>>
>>50028052
>Beckett apparently once ran the length of a football field in direct sunlight and lived
Due to Fortitude. That's less a matter of him being a super strong badass because he was unstoppable and more that he was crazy enough to even try it.
>>
>>50027945
Yeah, which is why I felt the antis in Gehenna were so underpowered
>>
>>50028042

Pretty fun, the dm made us make werewolves lower than chargen and made a mock hunt for us to get the system and our character to know each other. I like the chase rules.
>>
>>50028099
>Yeah, which is why I felt the antis in Gehenna were so underpowered
>>50028099
>Gehenna

I just threw up from hearing the name of that vile collection of rotten paper that dares to call itself a book.

Hopefully, the upcoming "Beckett's Jyhad Diary", with its focus on potential world-ending threats and whatnot, will do a better job in providing story-hooks for Gehenna-related storytelling.
>>
Powerwankery of Antediluvians, Archmages and other beings like them is truly terrible. I'm glad there nothing of the sort in nWoD except in Mage and maybe Werewolf.
>>
Do vampires bleed until they heal with blood, or do gunshot wounds and the like just instantly coagulate?
>>
>>50029032
They don't bleed, though they may ooze.
>>
>>50029032

Vampire blood doesn't circulate unless they're actively doing the Blush of Life, so some might leak out of the wound but it's not gonna give you an arterial spray.
>>
>>50028485
They're vampire progenitors. Of course they're going to get powerwanked. So sorry your Mary or Gary sue can't save the world this time
>>
>>50027945
>He wasn't dead when the 3 spirit nukes were dropped
Clearly they just needed a bigger bomb.
>>
>>50029172
That's quite leap of logic you did there. Besides, Antediluvians are Mary Sues in WoD.
>>
>>50026386
>Satyros Brocato

What's the story behind this cringeworthy apellation?
>>
>>50029620

He chose his own name. People do that sometimes.
>>
>>50029234
Not really, since they can't get used and they all meet grizzly ends in Gehenna
>>
>>50029634
Yeah, people that want to be the butt of jokes.
>>
>>50029644
>grizzly

They're mauled by bears?
>>
>>50029620

Dude likes satyrs, and his nickname used to be "Saytrblade", so he decided to make it legal.
>>
>>50029644
They're ridiculously overpowered characters who manipulated everything that ever happened with little effort. I'd say it's pretty Mary Sue-ish. Not being playable doesn't stop you from being a Mary Sue.
>>
File: Werebear.jpg (493KB, 900x1350px)
Werebear.jpg
493KB, 900x1350px
>>50029665
>They're mauled by bears?

There were a *lot* more Gurahl in hibernation than anyone had ever suspected...

Because no situation is ever too dire for it to not be fixed with an overwhelming amount of bears and/or werebears.
>>
>>50029804
>They're ridiculously overpowered characters who manipulated everything that ever happened with little effort. I'd say it's pretty Mary Sue-ish. Not being playable doesn't stop you from being a Mary Sue.

I don't think you have a clear understanding of what a "Mary Sue" is...
>>
>>50029662
Or trans people. Or people with shitty given names.
And also basically anyone on the internet.

I'm pretty sure that in like ten or twenty years most people will go by a nom de plume. People already that when they're in creative fields. I mean, most people with a Patreon are going to go by something other than their given name. Especially if you've made friends with people on the internet first and then real life second, you're more likely to call them by their internet handle. It's kind of neat, actually.

>>50029634
I think it's more "is there a reason he called himself Satyros of all things".
I just assume it's a nickname and he felt like dolling out the cash to make it official. Or maybe he goes by it professionally and not personally.

>>50029783
That's not a nickname, that's a shitty OC donut steel
>>
>>50029861
Neither does anyone else. Antediluvian are dumb, but "Mary Sue" is such a meaningless term.
>>
>>50029861
NPC and marysue are not mutually exclusive
>>
>>50029911

Don't you make fun of beloved White Wolf writer Satyros Phil "Satyrblade" Brucato.
>>
>>50029840
as is always the answer in werewolf. Murderfuck it dead. so blunt, why hasn't everyone realized what werewolfs are?
>>
>>50029949
Your name is Phil you live in Seattle. You wrote a butch of stuff, and your terrible at game design. Your fluff is cool, your technical is shit
>>
>>50029943
>NPC and marysue are not mutually exclusive

I never said they were.

But the core defining trait of a Mary Sue is that they are "perfect"... they don't have flaws, they succeed at everything they try their hand at, they can't do anything wrong, they never end up as the loser... except unless it helps the Mary Sue in some way, and the audience is all but beaten over the head with a "this only shows how awesome s/he is!"-stick.

While any storyteller could certainly *portray* the Antedeluvians as such in any given story, I'd argue that they're not "Mary Sue" characters at their core as presented in the White Wolf canon.

They're still pretty badly written characters most of the time (or maybe even all of the time), but they're not Mary Sues or Gary Stus.
>>
>>50030039

Welp, looks like someone's got a curse put on them, using all the magic that beloved White Wolf Writer Satyros Phil "Satyrblade" Brucato knows but did not dare write into Mage 2e for fear that people could cast real magic using the game.
>>
>>50030047
Well in Anon's defense, they certainly contain a large amount of MS traits, and OP as fuck to make them unusable as character themselves.
>>
File: ConfusedScreaming.jpg (35KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
ConfusedScreaming.jpg
35KB, 640x640px
>>50030065
But ANon He totaly did. He's just such a terrible hack that his point by point instruction came out as annoying confused drivel
>>
>>50030112
>Well in Anon's defense, they certainly contain a large amount of MS traits, and OP as fuck to make them unusable as character themselves.

Again, that doesn't make them a Mary Sue.

It might make them badly designed and/or written, but that's not really "Mary Sue" in and of itself.

But, I have to admit, when I think about it there's one antedeluvian fuckwad who could be described as a Mary Sue.

Namely Saulot, the perfect little choir-boy who can do no wrong, his only sin was that he was too nice to everyone (OR MAYBE HE'S ACTUALLY A DEVIL SPAWN MACHIAVELLIAN MASTERMIND, HAHA, FUCK YOU EITHER WAY).
>>
>>50030065

I wish Grant Morrison did work on CofD.
>>
Anyone doing a special halloween campaign?

I'll be running one but it'll be my first ever time as storyteller.
>>
>>50030271

OPP is lucky they can even afford Kieron Gillen, I couldn't imagine the going rate for Morrison, even if it's just prose and whatever questionable mechanics he might write.
>>
>>50030195
>Saulot Sue

Yes the writers don't know how to write religious vampires on the road to redemption without making them marysues
>>
>>50030039
>Your name is OPP you live in Pennsylvania. You wrote a butch of stuff, and your terrible at game design. Your fluff is cool, your technical is shit
>>
>>50030444
Please don't compare nwod and oldwod again, you'll start another needless edition war where nwod uniformity outlasts old's contradictory cross splat-age
>>
File: scared_lucas_employee.png (147KB, 305x434px) Image search: [Google]
scared_lucas_employee.png
147KB, 305x434px
>get into WoD
>start going to goth clubs
>meet a girl
>she says she's a vampire
>mfw i realize vampires are real
>mfw i realize it's all true
>mfw my sense of reality comes crashing down

she just texted me

im scared
>>
>>50030700
Bring protection for you and the stake
>>
>>50030564

>Implying he was talking only about nwod and not both.
>>
File: buffy_stab.gif (142KB, 222x222px)
buffy_stab.gif
142KB, 222x222px
>>50030700
You are in for a ride.
>>
File: SmileFangUnderworld.jpg (369KB, 533x800px) Image search: [Google]
SmileFangUnderworld.jpg
369KB, 533x800px
>>50030700
Its called blood play. and She's going to want to slice up your dick during blow jobs
>>
>>50030700
Ask her what clan
>>
I wanna put vampire antagonist in game that are hermetic-like vampires or tremere like. For sorcery i am using blood sorcery source book.

What covenant would you say is more hermetic/tremere like? Lancea or crone?
>>
>>50032224
Neither, the Ordo. They're occult academics and transcendatalists who only jump into kindred politics when they need to for their goals. Once they have their blood for the night, plenty are happy to lock themselves behind closed doors and do spooky science to study the Coils
>>
So, whats wrong with Geist? Do you think it'll be fixed by the time 2e rolls around?
>>
>>50033014

The coils while good they are too low key for what i am looking for. Fireballs and flash magic.
>>
>>50033487
Crone then, cruac is a bit more overt than theban sorcery even though I don't think it can do a fireball no matter how hard you try.
>>
>>50033594
>I don't think it can do a fireball no matter how hard you try.

Nope. No Blood Sorcery can conjure up The Banes.
>>
>>50033626

huh i miss that part, but still the destruction theme can hurl aggravated.
>>
>>50033748
Sure! You can lob a sphere of acidic blood that dissolves anything but bone, for instance... But you can't light a candle.
>>
File: 1454213290236.jpg (118KB, 1073x572px)
1454213290236.jpg
118KB, 1073x572px
I want to start collecting oWoD. It's a good time with Christmas and my birthday not too many months after, as I'll have to rely on gift money and spare change, due to being poor and keeping a car running being expensive.

But... where should I start? How should I go about it?

I already own
>Vampire the Masquerade Core
>Ghoul Supplement
>WoD Supplement about oceanlife that looks terrible
>Vampire the Dark Ages Core
>Mage the Awakening Core
>Werewolf the Apocalypse Core
>Demon the Fallen Core

So, I still have pretty much everything to go. clearly going for all the cores first will give me a strong base to run/play games and grasp the lines themes and story concepts. I know I want to get the Victorian Vampire Core, though I think it's unofficial. (Isn't it?)

Ugh, there is so much material, and I'm a completionist. It hurts.
>>
File: 1464649824194.jpg (772KB, 3075x2050px) Image search: [Google]
1464649824194.jpg
772KB, 3075x2050px
Does anyone have the original version of Hunter the Reckoning? I recently got my print-on-demand version and was pretty satisfied, until I pulled out my old VtM revised and saw the quality of the paper and inks, the way some/a lot of the pictures has silver sheens. Then I started noticing the printer-tracks on mostly-black pages.

Was the originally printed HtR book anything special? If it was much better quality I may well buy a second hand version, and then use the DriveThru as a workhorse that I don't have to care about how beaten up it gets.
>>
Happy Halloween, and a happy birthday to me.

If anyone hasn't played it, I'd suggest grabbing Murdered: Soul Suspect. It's 7.49 on Steam. Sort of corny, but it's got a decent story. It's one of those adventure games where it feels like they tacked on this weird pseudo-combat section simply because they felt a linear puzzle game wouldn't sell, sort of like Silent Hill Shattered Memories.
It doesn't have a lot of replay value, but it's a got a great Chronicles of Darkness feel. You play as a detective who was just murdered as he tries to catch his killer and stop him before they kill again.
>>
>>50036045

Is it very Wraith-y? I played what I believe was the demo back on a borrowed PS4, but I can't say it immediately grabbed me, but I also wasn't in the urban horror 'zone' at that point.
>>
File: Ronan and Joy.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px)
Ronan and Joy.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>50036228
I don't know Wraith, so I can't say.

I don't really want to give too much away, since story is really all it's got going for it, but the way ghosts are handled is pretty neat. Walking through walls is honestly a trip, and it took some getting used to to realize "oh, right, I can walk through walls", though later levels make more use of the ghost-walls. Honestly the whole thing is sort of how I like treating Twilight. I'm always predisposed to liking things that have the same ideas I do. I remember I was gushing about it a few months ago.

It *does* feel pretty Geisty, what with the ghosts everywhere that need your help, and laying them to rest by finding out how they died, and even the real killer and the stupid Demons feel like they'd fit in Geist. You could even make a pretty good Geist/Sin-eater pair out of Ronan and Joy.

(I actually just wanted to post a Halloweeny image, and since I was posting something from the game, I figured I'd let people know about it)
>>
File: Ronan O'Connor.png (881KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
Ronan O'Connor.png
881KB, 500x700px
I also love this stupid outfit.

The guy was shot literally at the begining of the game. He just dresses like he's from the 20s for no reason.
>>
>>50036422
it makes him look like a fucking asshole. I cant stand it.
>>
>>50036438
I love the whole fedora-rolled up sleeves-vest-cigarette old fashioned PI look. The bad boy tats are a little much, but the rugged stubble makes up for it.
Hardboiled protagonists are my fetish.
>>
>>50036508

Why does that crazy dame have a cybernetic arm?
>>
>>50036508
I like Noir style visuals, but if you went into work and your co worker showed up wearing a fedora and a 1920s suit you would call him a complete and utter jack ass.
>>
>>50036595
Because it's human Midna from Twilight Princess as a femme fatale.
>>
>>50036045
Happy birthday, Aspel!
>>
Who's doing a Halloween session tonight then?
>>
How do you guys deal with the implication of powerful NPCs in CofD?
Many complaints I've heard about WoD stem from its penchant for incredibly powerful douchbags in the metaplot.
How do you avoid something similar in CofD?

I feel any interaction with them on the part of the PCs will either misrepresentative of their power, or require the PCs to acknowledge that this is an exercise in damage control, trying to figure out how to get out having lost as little as possible.
>>
File: 1466346949882.jpg (555KB, 577x797px) Image search: [Google]
1466346949882.jpg
555KB, 577x797px
>>50037622

In my opinion the bitching about powerful NPCs has always been laughable and downright silly. Nobody complains about Elminster in D&D. Not being a Primarch in 40k; hell, Only War was all about being a grunt. Literally every RPG I can think of has bigger figures than the player character, and very, very rarely can you rise above them, and those same opportunities are technically possible in the oWoD.
>>
File: 28586361.jpg (138KB, 472x472px)
28586361.jpg
138KB, 472x472px
>>50037693
>In my opinion the bitching about powerful NPCs has always been laughable and downright silly. Nobody complains about Elminster in D&D. Not being a Primarch in 40k; hell, Only War was all about being a grunt. Literally every RPG I can think of has bigger figures than the player character, and very, very rarely can you rise above them, and those same opportunities are technically possible in the oWoD.
>>
>>50037693

They get complained about constantly and bitterly.
>>
>>50037622

When they come up I try to make them overwhelmingly powerful, questionably sane and in some ways pathetic. In my games power comes at a price and people that have acquired overwhelming power did so by being very lucky, but also by making choices that led to more power at the cost of other things.
>>
>>50033969
Collect the books for the splat you want to play, first. Victorian Era isn't unofficial, it just got floated and then unsupported by White Wolf, in a stirring impersonation of TSR before they went bankrupt.
>>
>>50037693
>Nobody complains about Elminster in D&D
Lolwut?
Elminster gets complained about because he is literally a developer's pet, their personal pc from one of their campaigns.
It's why that same dev complained when Elminster was struck down from his lofty status in 4e D&D.
And in OWoD? You were almost never going to have the same scope and influence the npcs of note had, and part of it was because the setting was literally written that way.
>>
File: 1473281876424.jpg (244KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1473281876424.jpg
244KB, 1920x1080px
>>50037806
>>50037878

May to miss the forest for the trees. My larger point is that most fiction, interactive or not, rarely has the protagonists as the top dogs. Rarely even in the upper rankings.

>never going to have the same scope and influence the npcs of note had, and part of it was because the setting was literally written that way.

I can't think of many roleplaying games at all that, without the GM/Storyteller writing the campaign that way, naturally leads it's players to becoming, say, the new High Lords of Terra, a new generation of Primarchs, or such.

You can Ascend as a Mage. You could, in theory, diablarize Caine. A Demon can become an Earthbound, bound to a robot body, and in theory end up the most worshipped and thus effectively become a god. These are unlikely (except Ascending), and I'm sure they are pretty much the end of the game if they were to somehow occur, but the same could be said of similar feats in other games.

The fact is Frodo was never going to outfight Aragorn, let alone Aragorn fight Sauron in melee or sorcery on even footing, in the same way Morgoth would have bent Sauron over his knee to teach him some respect if he could have returned. A Starfleet Captain and officers have to obey their superior officers or go rogue. Not every Avenger can be an Asgardian, let alone Thanos. Ect.

I blame the era of video games, and the concept you have to be the hottest thing in the universe. And even then it's faulty logic. You might be the Divakiin, but the Daedric Princes will still whup you on their home turf.

I don't know why I even weighed in. It's a stupid argument, with faulty assumptions and reasoning, used to perpetuate an issue that doesn't really exist.
>>
>>50038021
All your examples sound fine in a narrative, where they're the protagonists.

But suck ass in a game, where the focus is supposed to be on you, the PCs.

Which is, and always will be the problem with powerful NPCs.
How to have them exist, and interact in a meaningful way in the situation without having them overshadow the PCs to such an extent that they don't have fun.

Even if you acknowledge that you're not hot shit, the focus should still and always be on you, the players.
And powerful NPCs tend to hog the spotlight like nobody's buisness.
>>
>>50036628
>but if you went into work and your co worker showed up wearing a fedora and a 1920s suit you would call him a complete and utter jack ass.

That why you would be a hardboiled PI, no coworkers.

But seriously i would like more people at work to dress in 1920 suits.
>>
>>50038093
>All your examples sound fine in a narrative, where they're the protagonists.

Which is exactly what the players are supposed to be driving and experiencing.

>How to have them exist, and interact in a meaningful way in the situation without having them overshadow the PCs to such an extent that they don't have fun.
>And powerful NPCs tend to hog the spotlight like nobody's buisness.

The sign of a bad GM rather than an issue with the game line. For example, I bring Beckett into my game of newly embraced shovelheads; he may humor them and give them a brief and sarcastic education in their nature, but he would be chosen because by his nature he will be transient and gone before he can become a DMPC. It's the GMs job to keep the PCs the heroes/protagonists, and give them a difficult but not impossible quest. not create a hugbox where they will never be threatened by the idea that shovelheads aren't hot shit.

It's actually quite sad to me that some players consider the world-building and larger narrative of a setting secondary to their characters place in that setting.
>>
So would a tome enchanted with Fate magic that's the Mage equivalent of the Death Note be something Master level or even higher (as in an epic drop from an Ascended character)?

And how badly would Seers kill for it?
>>
>>50038452
It'd be pretty good, but the Seers wouldn't care too much for it.

They already have extremely proficient methods of murdering someone that doesn't require their Sympathetic name.
>>
>>50038516

I could see a Pylon try to get it to gain favor with their masters, and that might be enough.
>>
>>50038565
Yeah. Keeping it out of Pentacle hands would be reason enough.
Or a nice prize for a Mage talented with neither Space nor Fate.
>>
>>50037878
>>50037693
>>50038021
People complain about Elminster. People complain about the Primarchs. People complain about Harlequin in Shadowrun. And, note that they complain about Harlequin much more than they complain about the actual Dragons.
The reason that people complain about the Antediluvians and many other characters in oWoD isn't that they're the top dogs. It's that they're unstoppable mega badass characters who are all better than you'll ever be and when they wake up and start fighting, it means the game is over and you've lost. They're not even the Terasque, because the Terasque is meant to be beaten.

This is not some problem from video games, this is the problem that some other character in the setting is not only more powerful than you'll ever be, not only are they an unstoppable badass, they're more important than you'll be AND the book wants to make everything revolve around them.

The Antes aren't "Mary Sue", no, except maybe Salout, who gets to ignore most of the problems and faults of his splat, and who was too pure for this sinful earth. But people bitch about them for a reason, and that reason is that the entire schtick of the gameline is that the world is on the verge of an apocalypse where these great beasts wake up and devour the world. And yet the actual gameplay of the games has little to nothing to do with the machinations of these great slumbering evils; instead it's about politics and backstabbing, and more often than not local power. It's out of place and annoying to be reminded of the fact that these evils are going to wake up any day now and murder you.

Doubly annoying because the actual player character faction has a party line of "these monsters don't exist, stop being silly" and yet the books tell us over and over that these are the final nights and our ancestors will awaken to slaughter us all and gorge themselves on the blood and flesh of their grandsires.
>>
>>50038246
You can say it's the sign of a bad GM, but it's how the characters are used within the setting's fiction. I point again to Harlequin, who's featured in several modules as unstoppable and knowing everything the PCs do, because he's Batman dressed as the Joker.
>>
To what degree would the supernatural splats care or even know about the enemies from another splat?

Would a werewolf pack be concerned about the spooky owl spirit that hangs around the edge of their territory? Would a vampire coterie hunt down the spider-man eating people in the sewers? Are mummies concerned at all about how the God Machine endangers their cult?
>>
>>50038944
This guy gets it. When the game tells you that the apocalypse is happening tomorrow night, there's a big interest in the apocalypse. And you're not involved in that in the slightest. Even if you're playing as Princes you're screwed. If you remove the Ante's waking up and pitch a Cthulhu-esque "They'll awaken unless you stop them" angle, then that's more interesting. You don't have someone fighting the entire world and orbital lasers while standing in the sun (vampires are weak to sunlight and this guy is standing in the sun fighting, damn he's cool). You have something that maybe you can get invested in.

I'm not saying every group of Shovelheads should be able to stop an Antediluvian, far from it. But if that threat of the Apocalypse is more than just a line of text, if it influences player decisions and story directions then it's better than what currently exists. I'd say there's a big parallel to reading Demon the Descent, a book all about Demons and how awesome they are and the techno cold war they're fighting, but there's only rules to play a Stigmatic.
>>
Is there a fan-splat for Tzimisce in Requiem 2? One of my players really really (etc) wants to play a Tzimisce, and I've found two conversions online. One is from the Onyx Path publishing forums and it seems pretty interesting, it puts Tzimisce as a Bloodline of Ventrue and has its own Vissicitude discipline.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xOMt97RWoUj_luOD-cYO-shd-cgMgoZ9NtXo5TuG-VM/edit

The other is the official translation, and has Tzimisce as their own Clan, I'm not sure how Masquerade Vissicitude translates into Requiem.

Could anyone with any useful information chip in here? I'm a bit lost, I'd like for the player to have his Vissicitude and have fun with it, but I'm not sure if Masquerade Viss plays nicely alongside the other disciplines (might be better/worse in a way that skews the balace), or if the newer one linked above is a nicer fit.
>>
>>50039121

Aspel wrote another one, and I'm sure they'll link it in this thread, but I don't think it is very good. The one you linked is probably the best fan one I've seem so far. If you've got to go with something, go with that one.

The thing about the Translation Guide is that it will do a 1 to 1 power translation into Requiem, which is the best way for converting games in progress, but maybe not for full chargen with other Requiem stuff. I don't think it'll break the game, but I still wouldn't recommend it if you're playing Vanilla Requiem otherwise.
>>
File: Viccissitude.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Viccissitude.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>50039121
I made my own version of Tzimisce as a Ventrue Bloodline with Vicissitude as Protean Devotions that they have access to. I tried to make them more flexible than the typical Tzimisce so that people who don't want to be on the whole "evil Tzimisce freak" schtick can still play Tzimisce, but according to Chris, they just come off as Double Ventrue. I haven't really been able to think of a way to handle them better since then, and I *still* can't think of a way to handle their Bloodline Bane, because I really dislike the whole sleeping in soil thing, because it's frankly kind of lame and not really all that thematic or meaningful. A Bane that only comes up during naptime doesn't make for a more interesting and flavourful character flaw.

Actually, I think the guy who wrote that version of Tzimisce might have been making suggestions to me, since someone suggested the Bane of taking penalties against people they haven't put control over. I note that the version there doesn't use Humanity in any way, and also uses that shitty "no 10-again" rule that 2e has already thrown out. Actually, there's also the Night Doctor thing that I had for my Voivode.

I *am* kind of proud of the Vicissitude that I made, though. I think I used some creative ideas to make it interesting both thematically and mechanically. I wanted to make it possible to play a high or middling Humanity Tzimisce, but also to be really fucking terrifying.

As for the Masquerade translation guide version... well, it's kind of crap. The mechanics weren't that great to begin with, but the Translation Guide just takes out the Difficulty shifting and puts it into nWoD 1e.

>>50039198
Hey, I don't link the Tzimisce part anymore, but I do like my Vicissitude.
>>
>>50039220

If nothing else, it's an alternative if the player doesn't want to mess around with the Blood Sorcery aspects of the game.

So yeah, go with the Google Doc and offer both to the player, see which one they want to use for the campaign.
>>
>>50039374

Both versions of Visccitude, just to be clear.
>>
>>50039198
Cheers Anon.

>>50039220
Thanks too, I'm reading through yours and I'm intrigued. You've made Vissicitude into Devotions for Protean, which I get thematically, but why not make it a Discipline? The Body Impolitic and Subsume the Larval Flesh are really cool powers, I'd love to see more that aren't "Protean+".
>>
A Nosferatu coterie that ritualistically removes their bones over a period of months in order to craft terrifying bone armor.
>>
>>50039406

2e kind of moves away from independent Disciplines as a whole, so it's not like it's unprecedented.
>>
>>50038944
>>50038966
>>50039076

Fair enough, I get the angle, but I still don't really see the issue. In oWoD it's important to make the players monsters feel helpless; after all, the entire point is that even the scary things have thing to be scared of. Not to mention the metaplot these beings are part of is one of the biggest draws of the game.

Call of Cthulu is a good example. At best you can postspone the end.

If you have a capable GM, who doesn't take the plats as gospel. I own Time of Judgement, and it states that the GM is fully correct if they decide nothing happens and the world trundles on, or the end is narrowly averted.

It's the route I plan on going. I'm studying up on the metaplot at the moment to take my players through a Hunter campaign that will offshoot into a couple of other splats, and in a couple of years they will succeeding in averting the end... for now.

It will depend on how they handle One World of Darkness. If they do something that can easily be replicated in oWoD, I'm not sure I'll be so eager to keep up.
>>
>>50039406
Well, most Vicissitude powers are easily covered by simply using Protean on someone else as it is. I didn't really create anything new for my Devotions except Chimaera, and that's only because I hadn't used Beast's Skin (I didn't use Haven of Soil either, but since that "resets" Protean choices, it comes up). The rest of the abilities are all me remaking powers from V20 and Dark Ages V20.

This anon >>50039493 is also right in that 2e seems to have moved away from Bloodline abilities as being simply new Disciplines, and makes the way Bloodline Devotions are handled much more... not shit? I mean, at least looking at Obtenebration, from the Khaibit, the powers are all costed 2 Experiences and don't have very many complicated prerequisites, the way that the same powers as a Discipline did in 1e's write up.

On the one hand, I think I much prefer that, although I don't think I'd want to *completely* see non-standard Disciplines done away with.

>>50039548
Call of Cthulhu and Masquerade are very different games. Most of the helplessness in Masquerade--where it actually exists--is better handled by social systems. The Prince isn't scary because he's an Elder. Frankly, you could probably pop his head like a pumpkin with a good enough sniper rifle, regardless of how much Fortitude he's got. He's scary because he's the guy in charge and even if someone took him out (and wasn't caught by his many allies) the city would likely be plunged into chaos.

And while "a good ST can make anything work" is a good sentiment, it doesn't really change how the developers and publisher have presented things.
>>
>>50039694
I see, I hadn't considered the wider practises of 2e when I said that, it makes sense in hindsight now. I've spoken with the player in question however, and he likes the ritual aspect of Vissicitude more than them just being powers he can cast, so we're going with the other one for now.

Cheers for the help guys, I appreciate it.
>>
>>50039694
>The Prince isn't scary because he's an Elder. Frankly, you could probably pop his head like a pumpkin with a good enough sniper rifle, regardless of how much Fortitude he's got. He's scary because he's the guy in charge.

And so for most people, he isn't isn't scary full stop. And being a horror game there was needed, for when you weren't being the things mortals fear, something for your players to fear.

>And while "a good ST can make anything work" is a good sentiment, it doesn't really change how the developers and publisher have presented things.

Whether you consider them the similar or not, the anti's offer the same sort of end-game threat to the setting Cthulu waking does, or other Old Ones. The same threat as Darth Vader turning up in your Age of Rebellion game.

You might slow down the threat, or postpone it at great personal cost, but you aren't intended to win or even be in the same league.

If you want to dominate or be even powered, looking to the final chapters of the End Times is just stupid. Of course it's going to be overblown and beyond control. It's the fucking apocalypse, and these are THE big bads of the setting. The eldritch horrors that are far further from you and you are from humanity.

Hell, they ended the setting, and chose their favorite ending for it as far as they were concerned. But they left it open, and even encouraged, the players to tell them to go crew themselves. Don't like the anti's in your game? They ARE just a myth, Beckett is totally right. As far as your chronicle set in 2030 is concerned, as the world enters the gothic-cyberpunk era, it was all 2012-style fear mongering. Or perhaps they did wake up, and were very powerful, but the Kindred as a whole defeated them. This is a roleplaying setting for fucks sake.

I do get where you are coming from. I just feel that such powerful beings are needed.
>>
File: Backstory_CA_12_DmC.png (1MB, 1388x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Backstory_CA_12_DmC.png
1MB, 1388x1056px
>>50040614

My eventual plan for my chronicle is that the Antediluvian and the Earthbound Archdukes will wipe each-other off the face of the earth, and Lucifer will kill Cain and disappear, his fate unknown. A massive (supernatural) world changing disaster, but far from the end. The Masquerade even survives, due to the destruction being so complete. It serves as a convenient way to tie things up.

I'm hoping that One World of Darkness has a decent plot as far as progressing the timeline and shrugging off the End Times in a way that seems satisfying and makes sense. Even if they never add Demon back in, the old core will still be usable, and Demon's playable; will just fluff them to be Earthbound who are summoned into or steal human vessels, due to the rituals going wrong and only their vital essence rather than their full power being dragged out, and the rules shouldn't be so different that it won't work.

I wonder what the plan actually is. At their 'cut off point' a lot of the End Times stuff was starting to bubble up. Sure, Wraith is still a thing, and the Abyss hasn't cracked open yet as
>>
>>50030700
goth chicks aka best chicks
>>
My friend who knows my interest in urban fantasy and the like of it suggested me to watch Steins;Gate. I gave it a try and... well that could really work in cofd. Time travel could be easily explained. For example the whole store was an infrastructure with all those old retro devises. Timid girl could be an angel considering her awkward behaviour. Store owner's easily a God-Machine cultist. Big guy's daughter could actually be a demon. Okarin himself's just a mortal with unseen sense(The GM).
The plot though... How many time you guys tried a chronicle without so much as a single fight? Only KATARSIS and char development?
>>
>>50040717
That sounds a bit more interesting.

>>50040614
I think you're missing the point. The point of a Call of Cthulhu game wherein Cthulhu awakens is that the players are at the eleventh hour and they're desperately trying to stop some ritual or crash a boat to stop Cthulhu awakening, if only temporarily. Not every CoC game is about this, sometimes it's just a crazy scientist gluing a goats legs to a man. But none of it's on a clock, there's no "1921, 11th June, Cthulhu wakes up".

A game of Vampire the Masquerade is about politicking, petty revenge, spite and court intrigue. But you have the timeline. And a lot of the book is devoted to it, a whole lot. Whether or not your game is in Russia in 2000, Baba Yaga dies. If you're using any of the splats, there'll be a reaction to it. If the GM cares about using what the book gives them, suddenly the game concerns some Vampire who woke up in Russia and just died. Your courtly intrigue? Well that just doesn't fucking matter right now. Say the GM buys another splat, something similar is bound to happen. Everyone is suddenly very concerned that the Gypsy vampires got genocided, I hope this doesn't get in the way of your character arc or relationships.

The Antedeluvians aren't a myth also, they're a canon real threat. Beckett may well have thought they were a myth, but he would've changed his tune when one woke up and was getting shot by solar lasers. So much of the book is built around the lore and the metaplot, and the metaplot handily either kool-aids the walls of your game, or it doesn't matter and what's the point in having it?
>>
>>50040614
The Prince isn't meant to be the thing the players fear. they're supposed to fear themselves. Hence "personal horror".
Vampire is and always has been a game about being a member of a criminal conspiracy and having to live with the horrible things you do to both further a conspiracy you may want no part of, and to live through one more night. Terrifying diabloists and your boss' potential to fucking eat you add to the sense of fear, but at the end of the day the horror is "a monster I am, lest a monster I become".

The Antediluvians are perfect as an end game threat, where you have to stop the Gehenna cultists from awakening Malkav or some shit, but the problem is that far more of the backstory features around them than, say, Cthulhu. I mean, you can argue that you can ignore them and have them be just a myth, but, again, THE GAME itself treats them as being 100% real and a thing that the Camarilla doesn't want to acknowledge out of fear. It's not that I think powerful beings can have no place in Vampire. It's that I think the way they're handled in Masquerade is bad. I also don't think they're *needed*. Requiem has none by default and it works just fine. Better, really. And, if you want them, you can have them. As I always say, you can do oWoD in nWoD, but not vice versa.

Also, they're pre-flood, not against the flood. It's ante, not anti. It's also a plural, not possessive, so Antes, not anti's.

>>50040797
>How many time you guys tried a chronicle without so much as a single fight?
Often. Or, more accurately, I've gone through stories without a fight.

>>50040842
This is why I hate metaplot. Like, it's easy to ignore a lot of the ongoing metaplot shit, but it's really got to fucking sting to have the entire setting you're playing in wiped off the map. I can't imagine what it would have been like to play Shadowrun set in Chicago and buy the book that says Chicago was nuked and is now filled with irradiated bug spirits.
>>
File: corgyAdventure.jpg (261KB, 625x459px) Image search: [Google]
corgyAdventure.jpg
261KB, 625x459px
>>50041159
>you can do oWoD in nWoD, but not vice versa

>Truth
>>
Is there a scenario where Gehenna is just the end of Caine's active curse having an effect and it serves as a hard power reset?
>>
>>50027206
Ol' Phil straight up said in his blog that The Mage Player's Guide was "Mage Edition 1.5" because the first edition was such a mess.
>>
>>50042251
Is this confusion or agreement?

I could elaborate if necessary. Though the long and short of it is that it's easier to play a narratively oWoD game in nWoD.

>>50042339
By hard power reset, do you mean starting at Generation 1?
>>
So apparently the subnet died. Is there another page like it?
>>
File: corgyHappy.jpg (64KB, 615x614px)
corgyHappy.jpg
64KB, 615x614px
>>50042414
>>50042251
Agreement sir, The Corgy means happiness but do expand I quite like a good design talk.
>>
>>50042488
Some guy crawled archive.org and tried to backup as much from it at raumwalross.tk
And there is ofc wodcodex.com
>>
>>50042414
>By hard power reset, do you mean starting at Generation 1?
I more mean a scenario where the initial curse of Caine was what allowed the scaling vampire power wank via a sevenfold amplification of Caine's grief being met upon them. Sort of a positive effect bestowed along with the whole thing where vampires have an eternal, insatiable hunger that grows the longer they exist.

So say that after a duration, that curse ends. And all the effects of that curse go away. And that would be Gehenna. A great fizzling.
>>
>>50042660
Thanks.
>>
>>50042488
Welcome to months ago.
https://web.archive.org/web/20160305092247/http://rp.thesubnet.com/
It's inelegant, but it'll do.

>>50042561
Essentially it's a lot easier to go from oWoD to nWoD, because nWoD is more modular.
Mechanically, you don't need to do much to have the Garou Nation in Forsaken. But if you want the Forsaken/Pure thing in oWoD? You'd have to do so much more.

>>50042691
So you mean no more vampires?
>>
Really obscure question here, I'm playing OWoD using the rules given for GURPS 3rd edition (it's an official sourcebook no joke), and while converting it to fourth edition GURPS I found a strange problem;

Would it be fair to say vampires do not posses vital organs, or brains (for purposes of soon extra damage from hitting said locations)? Or would a vampire take more damage if it's head was struck?
>>
>>50043351
I think the brain and heart are all that's necessary.
>>
>>50043351
They don't have real organs, but I think headshots are more damaging for VtM vampires.
>>
>>50043431
But the heart would not cause extra damage if it was, say, shot? Correct?
>>
>>50043351
Consider that on their head they still have eyes and other functions.
>>
>>50043466
Well it completely paralyzes them if you stick a piece of wood through it, so...
>>
>>50043521
The modifier is only in relation to damage from bullets and other such mundane weapons.

So, no extra damage from attacks to the vitals, but headshot still rip and roll?
>>
>>50043032
>So you mean no more vampires?
Well, not no more vampires. Just the super-powerful vampires ending up gimped.
>>
>>50043619
But thats the problem vamperism runs down a hill. If there is no one at the top of the hill, you can't get 5-13X gens. and once the 5gens are gone, you can't get any 6-13x gens. So eventually you'd end up with no more vampires or vamps so weak (thin blooded daywalkers) that it really doesn't matter. And thus the problem with the caine myth and the gen stat as used.
>>
>>50043834
That post didn't make sense.
>>
Found this while meandering around the GURPS thread. I kind of like the idea of using these lessons for CofD.

http://www.ravensnpennies.com/2016/08/gamemasters-guidepost-building-player.html
>>
>>50043877
Caine-1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13th

>getting rid of Caine
2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12-13th
> Just the super-powerful vampires ending up gimped

nomore 2-3-4-5-6 at least

left with 7-8-9-10-11-12-13

and eventually those kill each other or Die somehow, when the gen is not preserved through Diabolry You lose that Gen

And on the flip side 13 sires 14 which sire 15 which sires 16. 13th used to be thin blooded in the dark ages and 14th just not being able to sire. but in modern nights they can. SO yeah eventually vampirism just wouldn't be a thing anymore
>>
>>50044059
Can 15th actually sire?
>>
>>50044059
You do know that the Second Generation is already dead, right?
I mean, with no one older than, say, 5th Generation, you'd still have a lot of vampires, and it would probably take a couple thousand years to completely run out of anyone above that.

>>50044123
They can sire the traditional penis in vagina way, but I don't think those are vampires.
>>
>>50044123
Theoretically

In the dark ages 12 gens could sire but the blood was considered too thin to produce full blooded 13th vamps. and if those 13th tired to sire, it had a pretty good chance of simply not working.

Jump forward. in the modern ages we've got 14th and 15th gens, which shouldn't be possible according to previous metaphysics, but now is. If you continue that line of thought. Eventually you'd get 14 full blood vamps and 15th able to sire thin bloods.

So you see Eventually those 14th and 15th would barely be vamps With no curse of caine at all.
>>
>>50044155
yeah the point was Eventually vampirism would just end. Without a renewable source of high quality vamp blood the system would just crash.

So We have to start investing in Green Vampires now folks. we wouldn't have the older fossils for very long
>>
>>50044253
There's rituals for one to up their generation. Sure it involves 6 levels of aggravated damage being ingested a fucking ton of times, but you can do it.
>>
>>50044253
It's not like there are a ton of Gen 4 Vampires out there to begin with. I don't even think anyone lower than 6th is even active.
>>
>>50044293
Montano is the most powerful vampire that's not antediluvian and he's awake. He's also more powerful than some of the Antediluvians. Toreador is awake and hangs out in Greece.

There's a few others in the True Black Hand that are that old and are active, but Montano is the oldest vampire by a long shot. You don't fuck with a man who's title is Master all things known and unknown of the Abyss.
>>
>>50044354
>Toreador is awake and hangs out in Greece.
... doing what?
>>
>>50044382
Causing drama.

She loves causing drama.
>>
>>50044382
>... doing whom?
>>
>>50044354
This is what I don't get.

When Ravnos woke up, every vampire in the world shat himself, and that was before he fucked up an army of Kuei jin, a sept of garou, three bodhivastas, and sucked half of Bangladesh dry, all in three days. Yet Toreador and Absimiliard are just chilling and nobody gives a shit?
>>
>>50044923
When a vampire wakes up, they normally are fucking thirsty and frenzy. Toreador tends to sleep in short bursts to avoid that.

Also Ravnos could have faked the whole thing, he's the mastery of illusions and trickery
>>
>>50044951
Still, kinda stretches suspension of disbelief when the Camarilla so fervently denies their existence when two of them are running around, one in the cradle of western civilization
>>
>>50044923
>and sucked half of Bangladesh dry, all in three days
Damn, how'd they justify that to mortals?
>>
>>50044999
If a Antediluvian doesn't want to be found, they won't be. One hadn't been spotted in over 300 years and most of the Camarilla is under 150 years old.

>>50045018
Technocracy took care of it.
>>
>>50045027
How so? I don't know much about mages. Did they just... Magic it out of everyone's minds?
>>
>>50045018
In Gehenna Egypt gets hit with the 10 plagues again and the north pole explodes, they're hand waved away as epidemics and volcanic activity
>>
>>50045053
Paradox tends to fix everything for the most part. Like, there was the conquering of earth in the 1930's but after it ended it became Orson Well's War of the World radio play.

Rest can be fixed with mind control and money. Mostly money as money is also mind control technically.
>>
>>50045067
>>50045077
Damn, OWoD is crazier than I thought.
>>
>>50045120
Mage is really really wacky.

The Void Engineer ships have arms to fight dragons with swords. Haven't needed it for years but they still keep them just in case.
>>
>>50045053
>>50045027
>>50045077

This one is a asspull from the writers and the thing that is brought up the most
>>
>>50045136
Thank Caine I only stick to Vampire: the Masquerade, and even then, avoid the metaplot.

I don't think my mind could handle just how balls to the wall the World of Darkness truly is.
>>
>>50045018
>>50045067
>>50045077
These are literally world shattering events, and they're written off as being ignored by the masses. I'm pretty sure the world economy would tank after the Week of Nightmares due to the loss of entire cities in India. that's not even thinking about what would happen if Egypt was hit with plagues or the north pole exploded. The ecological impact would be unfathomable.
>>
>>50045401
Well, I mean, it IS Armageddon
>>
>>50045401
Thinking about it, I guess the Week of Nightmares thing in India could be explained as a limited nuclear exchange with Pakistan..?
>>
>>50045401
>>50045452
And thats the problem. Once these events happen, the wod is no longer set in a dark reflect of our own world. With that flip we're now in a high magic in modern age fantasy, and the focus becomes WTF is happening? The local plot/ setting/ story is now dwarfed by this earth shattering boom. Large amount of ramifications, that weren't really thought about but suddenly turn it's ugly head.
>>
>>50045549
>>
>>50045532
Well yeah, but you're forgetting that this happened during the Apocalypse, where the point was the earth shattering boom.

And this shit is kind of tame, you've got
>lasombra covering the world in clouds for three weeks before someone or something kills him and then it rains blood for three days
>Absimiliard going around with krakens and leviathans eating every nosferatu
>gangrel causing earthquakes everywhere she goes
>set genociding his clan
>tzimisce either going full akira or trying to assimilate the entire world

Gehenna's point was that it was so over the top. They even tell you to let your PC buff themselves insanely because they're going to need it
Thread posts: 327
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.