[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Well /tg/, I finally did it. I just bought my first minis - a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: barbaros.jpg (51KB, 596x459px) Image search: [Google]
barbaros.jpg
51KB, 596x459px
Well /tg/, I finally did it. I just bought my first minis - a small group of pic related. Hopefully they'll arrive in a couple weeks so I can assemble them and then torture myself with painting them. I have a few questions while I pour over the million and one guides in the /wip/ thread though.

What paints do you recommend for a beginner? I hear Vallejo is the cheapest while still also being good quality paints.

Do brushes really matter or can I just buy a set of small brushes from a hobby store and be good to go?

What kind of glue do you recommend? Does it even matter?

Will I need a set of modeling sheers or will an X-acto do?

How much blood is too much for barbarians to be coated in?

Sorry for the blogpost but I'm really stoked to finally start doing this. It's been a goal of mine for a few years now and I'm finally starting.
>>
>what paints do you recommend
gw if you buy it in a bundle, vallejo, tamiya, whatever you hav elocal

>do brushes matter
yeah but if you're buying good brushes they'll be good brushes

>glue, does it matter
yes, buy plastic model glue, plastic model cement, whatever, only buy from gw if you have to

you need super glue to stick plastic to metal, metal to metal, resin to resin, plastic to resin, etc

modeling sheers make things much easier but an x-acto is fine, just be careful
>>
>>50009245

>Paint
Reaper paints. They have nice kits that come with some models you can practice on too. Some Testors matt sealer as well.

>Brushes
Synthetic is fine for a beginner, choose your sizes as you like, I recommend 00 and 5/0 and a 3 for large coverage. A cheap brush with wide and round in shape for dry brushing.

>Glue
Super glue, Cyanoacrylate in other words.
However, assembling models with a tiny bit of greenstuff will allow you to fill the gaps and modify the models a bit better. Plus it holds great. Use you hobby knife to work it.

>Bloody barbarians
A little goes a long way.

You'll also need some sand for your bases, and very small rocks if you like. Specialty bases might be cool if you can afford them.
>>
>>50009267
>>50009245
The models in the OP are resin. By name-brand super glue.

Plastic glue will NOT work.
>>
>>50009389
Who makes those models?
>>
>>50009245
resin. fuck. I hope youve got you gas mask and or fume cupboard ready.
>>
>>50009506
Yup if you're sanding resin you will need a mask to keep the particles from getting into your lungs and giving you cancer
>>
>>50009557
>Remember sanding some Scibor Miniature shoulder pads a year or so back.

Fuck. Fuck... is it any amount am I fucked? Or do I need like constant inhalation?
>>
>What paints do you recommend for a beginner? I hear Vallejo is the cheapest while still also being good quality paints.
Vallejo and GW are both beginner friendly and very similar price per ounce.

Also get some primer, ESPECIALLY if you are working with resin or metal models.

>Do brushes really matter or can I just buy a set of small brushes from a hobby store and be good to go?
You will want better than nylon brushes. If you get good ones, get some brush soap and take good care of them.

>What kind of glue do you recommend? Does it even matter?
Plastic cement for plastic models.
Cyanoacrylate glue (aka super glue) for resin and metal models

>Will I need a set of modeling sheers or will an X-acto do?
If you are working with plastic on sprues, clippers are very useful.
A set of files is also useful.
Neither are expensive.

A tip if you will: You won't have to do this right away, but always use a sharp blade for your knife. Online you can buy packs of a hundred blades for like five bucks.
>>
>>50009245
An important heads up: Those guys look like they're made from resin, which needs a washing down before you begin any kind painting.

As the miniatures are cast (made) the liquid resin is put into a form coated in a release agent (a kind of oil usually) that makes them easier to pry from the form when they solidify. This agent often sticks to the finished miniature, and paint won't stick to it. Therefore some soap and water, or a little pure alkohol, is a good idea, to remove the release agent. All miniatures (except plastic, which are molded in a different process) can have a little agent on them, so a quick wash is a good idea to avoid frustatration when you paint them up later.
>>
>>50009482
mom miniaturas

>>50009574
if you are not breathing it in every day it's not that big a deal.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.