[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 151

File: Magic Primer (+1).png (2MB, 1401x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Magic Primer (+1).png
2MB, 1401x1800px
Partner edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
http://pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: http://pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources.
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

OT: >>49937934
>>
File: Geist of Sir Shandlar.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Geist of Sir Shandlar.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
I have the best worst ideas.
>>
File: The Ultimate Nullifier3.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Ultimate Nullifier3.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>49991536
Who's Sir Shandlar?
>>
File: 297[1].jpg (75KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
297[1].jpg
75KB, 312x445px
>>49991557
This guy, whoever the heck he is, but his flavor text implies he died heroically.
>>
File: Luke Cage Power Man.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Luke Cage Power Man.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>49991584
I feel like half of the, well, Legends, could be interesting if their cards weren't some of the worst designed things ever. Though on the other hand, it would've been old Magic lore, which I don't like much. But then again, I'm not liking modern Magic lore either...
>>
File: The Corinthian.jpg (60KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
The Corinthian.jpg
60KB, 375x523px
>>49991584
>>49991617
Damn, should've posted this card, since someone noted how it's basically a better Ramirez DePietro.
>>
>>49991617
>designed
As if, all the legendaries from Legends are literally just the guys D&D characters.
>>
File: Jay Garrick the Flash3.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jay Garrick the Flash3.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>49991739
Hmm, sauce?
>>
>>49991772
>Short story
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/25-more-random-things-about-magic-2016-06-20

>Long story
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/history-legends-2002-03-04
>>
>>49991809
Wow. Still think they could've done a better job though. I mean, I get that modern design is different from what was around back then, but even back then, so many of the cards they made were just overcosted as shit. It's like they were all designed under the idea that Legendary is an upside.
>>
File: Lead by Example.jpg (27KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lead by Example.jpg
27KB, 375x523px
>>49991873
Somebody post that "Form of Uncle Istvan" that somebody posted once. That was a sweet card.
>>
>>49991873
>were just overcosted
Card were overcosted due two reasons, when they made a card and realized it didn't fit the color's bit of the color pie they just upped the costs. and because . . . they thought that legendary was an upside. That's literally what happened. They made cards, like Jedit Ojanen, and thought "Gee, a big cool cat warrior, who isn't going to want at least 20 of them ? Better make sure they aren't broken"
>>
File: three.jpg (233KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
three.jpg
233KB, 1125x523px
3/5 of the Arena novel house masters. How are these looking? Admittedly, they only really do anything when they're (one of) your commander(s)...

Profit doesn't have reminder text, but I'm told by a friend it's been used before for MSE cards. Shorthand for 'create a colorless artifact token named gold w/ sacrifice this artifact: add <> to your mana pool'. not sure if it's okay or not?
>>
>>49991873
MaRo talks about Legends more extensively in one of his "Drive to Work" podcasts. He even talks about how one Legend is just a copy of a different card, just that the legend costs like 2 more or something. Despite that, people liked the introduction of Legendary cards.
>>
>>49992076
Your contextual abilities are incredibly wordy. If you're going to go down that route, then just make one ability if they have (or don't have) a partner.

Profit is also not a recognized keyword in official Magic, so I would put the reminder text. Even if it were, it's not an evergreen keyword, so I would put the reminder text there anyways.
>>
>>49992176
The reminder text is just gone because it's already wordy. I'll find a way to make them shorter, or take one away.
>>
File: Tyrannical Presence.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tyrannical Presence.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>49992076
Kirlen should have
>At the beginning of your first upkeep, if ~ is in your command zone, search your library for up to five nonland cards with converted mana cost 3 or less and exile them. Then shuffle your library. If @ is your only commander, you may search for up to five nonland cards instead.
>@ costs 2 more to cast if it is your only commander.
>You may cast nonland cards exiled with @. You can't cast more than one spell this way each turn.
>Partner

I dislike the wording on these in general, because you mix static abilities that are relevant on the stack with those relevant elsewhere. I'm not sure this degree of contextual ability is worth it, as >>49992176 noted.
>>
>>49992076
Never have I seen such a blatant example of negative synergy.

Why the fuck would you put "If ~ is your only commander" on a card with Partner.
>>
I'll throw out some partner ideas.

Commanders you cast cost X less to cast.

Other commanders get +X/+X and have {ability}

As long as you control two or more commander creatures, {effect}
>>
Trying to make a WUBRG commander that isn't tribal, and emphasizes casting spells. Any ideas?
>>
>>49992388
Replace "commander" with "legendary creature" and I'm in.
>>
>>49992420
"Noncreature spells you cast cost WURBG less to cast. This effect reduces only the amount of colored mana you pay. (For example, if you cast a noncreature spell with mana cost 1U, it costs 1 to cast.)
>>
>>49992465
Eh, I don't play much, so I could be wrong, but that doesn't feel very strong.
>>
>>49992510
So a sorcery that costs WURBG being free seems weak? Yikes.
>>
>>49992298
To play around with the design space and have commanders with different abilities solo than with partners? Sorry I guess?
>>
>>49992739
Literally the only WUBRG sorcery that costs exactly WUBRG is Last Stand. One card.
>>
File: Searing Pulse.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Searing Pulse.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49992815
If you don't like it, don't use it. But I'd love having my 2UR instant cost 2 generic, or my 1WB sorcery cost 1 generic. Different strokes.
>>
>>49992852
Return it from the yard or as it resolves?
>>
File: Alex Luthor of Earth-3.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Alex Luthor of Earth-3.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>49992939
Eh, yeah. Anyway, this is what I have now. Balanced?
>>
File: Deploy the Scouts.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Deploy the Scouts.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>49992852
Use ~ to represent the card name so you don't have little mistakes like missing capitals.
>>
>>49993146
This is basically a Traverse the Ulvenwald that's easier to trigger.

I must say, I never did like commander-only cards.
>>
>>49992950
It'd be as it resolves, as it's happening as part of its effect. It's basically buyback if it doesn't kill something.

>>49993146
Dunno how the ~ didn't register.
>>
>>49993318
I think I have some reservations about it only hitting your opponents' stuff at that cost. Simoon is RG, albeit an instant, and uncommon, and only hits one opponent's stuff.
>>
>>49993376
It's on par with scouring sands at 1R. Obviously mine scales which makes it more powerful, but I don't know if paying 3 mana each time would be worth it.
>>
>>49993468
Somehow missed that in my search. The chances of it coming back to your hand are fairly slim, considering the number of 2/1s running around these days.
>>
>>49993509
I'd argue that the chance of it coming back at all is enough to cost up or rarity up. Where Scour may be a dead draw in some cases, you can just keep casting this one until it works.
>>
>>49993509
It'll always come back on the first cast each turn, because things won't die until after the spell has finished resolving and SBAs have a chance to be checked.

>>49993233
>This is basically a Traverse the Ulvenwald that's easier to trigger.
That was the point, yes.
>>
>>49993546
I thought SBAs were instantaneous and outside of the cycle of resolving, since you can't respond to them. Wouldn't they die right after damage was applied, but before the "then"?
>>
>>49993146
You have search your library instead of shuffle.

>>49993583
Nope SBA's are only checked after a spell has fully resolved, something which I forgot about so I need to scrap it and start over.
>>
>>49993598
Well yeah, in that case it's busted as all hell. It's a neat idea, but I also have to ask why not just make it a Rebound spell?
>>
File: Apex of Predation.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Apex of Predation.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>49993598
>You have search your library instead of shuffle.
??? Given the wording is lifted straight from Traverse the Ulvenwald, I'm confused.
>>
>>49993641
>Search your library for a basic land card, reveal it, put into your hand, then search your library.

Is what you have written there.
>>
>>49993546
If that was the point, I don't see why it's uncommon and costs only G. Delirium is a difficult thing to trigger in normal play, and even decks constructed for it don't always get to it very quickly. It's basically the only reason why most Delirium cards get to be costed as they are.
>>
>>49993627
I wanted it to scale without just being an X spell. Rebound would be an entirely separate effect.
>>
>building a set skeleton
It never gets any easier. Soon I can start filling in my commons though, and hopefully that'll be fun.
>>
File: Xao Jin Dragonmage.jpg (56KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Xao Jin Dragonmage.jpg
56KB, 375x523px
>>49993728
Would it be helpful if you had a blank MSE file to start with that already had the cards labeled? If so, I might make one and insert a link to it in the OP.
>>
>>49993654
Whoops, I'm dumb. Thanks for pointing that out.

>>49993673
Probably because I'm dumb and thought that Traverse was an Uncommon for some reason, although rarity matters "less" for decks that are (in theory) printed in precons.

Also, its not like having your commander is super easy for many decks, either. Only the most aggressive or tuned of decks have their commander before Turn 3, and a Turn 4 tutor that requires your commander to have gone a round untouched seems not terrible to me.
>>
>>49993765
I have a few pregens myself, but I'm trying something new this time, and planning it out beyond MSE in Notepad before I build. But yeah, I'm sure someone besides me could appreciate a file like that to use. I have a few I could contribute too. Thanks though.

>card
I know zero about that guy, but I can tell you that token gen ability seems over the top strong.
>>
>>49991536
First time I popped into a /ccg/ and there's actually a cool, good card.

Hrm.
>>
File: Andy Franklin Human Bomb4.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Andy Franklin Human Bomb4.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>49993851
What exactly are you planning out? I mean, does the skeleton differ from that of a normal set?

>card
Damn. Get rid of Prowess?
>>
>>49993766
It's not like G is a lot of investment for a tutor either. The problem being it's not that hard to get your commander out because you always have a commander, and tutoring is something that Wizards has also limited/cut back on.

Comparably, Signal the Clans, is an RG rare, searches for three creatures, but only puts one at random into your hand.
>>
>>49993893
I'm that faggot that was asking about set concepts yesterday, particularly whether color combinations needed factions attached to them or not to make an effective set, flavor and mechanic-wise. It doesn't really differ too much except for the slightly strange distribution of multicolor cards, and the fact that it's a touch smaller than a standard post-Origins set (230 cards instead of 260+). I've done enough of them that I can do it in a few minutes once I actually get to MSE, but the beforehand is just the doldrums. But I want to have the best chance to succeed, since I've fucked up plenty of them in the past, so I'm taking it slow and being methodical.

>Human Bomb
Hm. Saving up potential damage into retribution later seems neat. If he asplods himself though, shouldn't there be a sac on the last ability?
>>
>>49993893
>>49993982
>prowess
Oops. Uh, yeah you could do that. It depends on what you want the card to do. Token is the most important thing? I'd make him have a smaller body. The combination is neat, it just needs a good balance between cost and body for the effect. Then again, considering Geist of St. Traft... eh, I dunno.
>>
File: Maddening Shaitan.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Maddening Shaitan.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>49993853
Is this sarcasm, or did I just get praised for a card with banding?

>>49993941
Wizards has been trying to cut back on tutoring because it makes for samey games, but EDH will run every tutor they can get their hands on for the exact same reason of reducing variance.

In a format with Eladamri's Call, Survival of the Fittest, Fauna Shaman, and Fierce Empath, creature tutors are cheap and plentiful almost as a rule.

It might not be a card that Wizards would be willing to print in a box, but its a card that I think people would be interested in running if they can support it, while providing enough of a drawback that its not ultra powerful when compared to existing options.
>>
File: Uncle Sam.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Uncle Sam.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
For some reason I always have a tough time picking keywords when I want to give a choice like this. Anyone else?

Oh yeah, and last ability is because he keeps dying and coming back later. No, really, I'm surprised the writer never made a "They killed Kenny!" joke.

>>49993982
>set
Ah, I see. Yeah, not entirely sure myself of how much would have to change. I suggest looking at Khans for an idea. I mean, let's see, assuming you skip over 4-color, that's still 21 color combos, and you'll probably want multiples of each of them. Jeez, what's the ratio between monocolored and colorless versus multicolored going to be, 1:1? Well, let me know if you need any help.

>If he asplods himself though, shouldn't there be a sac on the last ability?
He doesn't blow himself up, he basically just unleashes the energy stored inside his body in the area around him.

>>49993993
Hmm, maybe fix the token gen to when he attacks like Traft?
>>
>>49994105
Seems pretty okay for RWU. Also fairly balanced, since even when you trigger his prowess-anthem, none of the keywords can protect him from removal really (and flying actually makes him more of a victim vs green).

>set
Well, it's mosty monocolored, with multicolored coming in more often than in a Core set, but less than in say Ravnica. It's shard-centric, and has a tiny bit of enemy-color support to smooth out drafting and allow for some more archetypes/off drafting without clogging things up since enemy color cards also work in shard-colored decks (you can draft WB cards for Esper, for example). There aren't that many though. There will be roughly 50 multicolor cards (counting battlemage-types and stuff) in the set of 230, so about 20% of the set is gold or represent several colors somehow. Also it has a lot of lands; a cycle of dual ETB commons in allied pairs, a cycle of taps-for-mono sac fetches for shard lands in uncommon, and tricolor painlands in rare.

>human bomb
Ah, he did in one iteration if I recall so I wondered if he was supposed to. He might yet be a bit too strong; part of me wonders if maybe you should make the damage prevention cheaper but make the counters destroy one permanent of a given CMC? Not sure. He might be able to be cheaper to cast at that rate though.

>dragonmage
That'd help.
>>
>>49994357
Actually, nah, nix those uncommon lands. I'll replace them with Vivid expies. Less fiddly.
>>
File: Haematomancy.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Haematomancy.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49994740
I almost want to say 2 life is worth Scry 2, but I'm not sure that's the case.
>>
>>49994851
Not without another cost to slow it down I think.
>>
>>49994851
Scrying is almost drawing a card. At the very least, it's drawing you a /better/ card.
>>
>>49994900
>>49994906
Yeah that or for 2B to cast maybe. I can't really find a way to exploit it as it is.
>>
File: Phyretic Spores.png (264KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Phyretic Spores.png
264KB, 375x523px
>>49994740
Oh hey, I've used this guy's RPG spell icon illustrations too.
>>
File: Depths of Knowledge.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Depths of Knowledge.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>49994906
I'm sure some janky High Tide would play this.
>>
>>49995092
That text box is really busy, I don't think the background symbol does it any favors.
>>
File: Lessons of the Past.png (225KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lessons of the Past.png
225KB, 375x523px
>>49995249
This gave me an idea.
>>
File: Halmot Researcherv2.png (252KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Halmot Researcherv2.png
252KB, 375x523px
While we're on the scry train:
>>
>>49995576
I dig it
>>
File: Heavy Impact.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Heavy Impact.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>49995249
>>49995343
>>49995576
Not much to say, other than there hasn't been much in the way of large scry for whatever reason.
>>
>>49996015
As innocuous as Scry looks, it's powerful enough to not be printed in higher numbers. It essentially lets you stack your deck and may end up with the unfortunate effect of dragging on games longer than they need to.
>>
>>49996092
I don't think its so much about power, as there's plenty of ways to see big chunks of your deck, large draw being one of them, and more about the time spent stacking.
>>
File: Oathsworn Knight.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Oathsworn Knight.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>49996114
>>49996092
Given that the complexity of a scry scales factorially with the depth, I'm not surprised.
>>
>>49995343
I feel like stuff based on your graveyard should be almost always Black or Green. Make that 2UB and give it a necromantic tinge, or 2UG and make it some hippie shit.
>>
File: Curse of Frost.png (246KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Curse of Frost.png
246KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49997352
I think I'd make it more like a Winter Orb effect, but allows them to untap more. Or maybe
>Each nonland permanent enchanted player controls has "This permanent doesn't untap during your untap step," and "At the beginning of your upkeep, you may pay 1. If you do, untap this permanent."
>>
File: Artemis of Bana-Mighdall.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Artemis of Bana-Mighdall.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49997352

You don't want to to affect Land.
>>
>>49997999
No, I want to affect land alright.
>>
File: VLaavi Analysis Expert.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
VLaavi Analysis Expert.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
Because I decided to dick about during my Last Unicorn Star Trek game.
>>
File: Tom Tresser Nemesis6.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tom Tresser Nemesis6.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>49994357
>Ah, he did in one iteration if I recall
Really? Well, that's not the version I'm going for here. Anyway, would it be more balanced to only destroy one permanent per activation? And if I do that, could I get away with taking out the tap requirement?

>>49998043
>Last Unicorn Star Trek game.
..What?

>+2
Should be "doesn't untap"

>-10
First it should be
>You get an emblem with "At the beginning of each opponent's upkeep, fateseal 2."
And second, I really don't like having Fateseal here. I get it, it's an ult, but still. Anyway, what exactly is the flavor here? It feels like there's no direction. How does the first ability relate to the other two?
>>
>>49998082

>Last Unicorn Star Trek game.

Last unicorn is a company. They put out one of the many Star Trek RPGs. I was dicking about and decided to hash together one of the PCs in the magic set editor.

>Anyway, what exactly is the flavor here? It feels like there's no direction. How does the first ability relate to the other two?

It's a Vulcan intelligence officer. The first ability is the very iconic nerve pinch, the latter two are related to data analysis and prediction.

What is the issue with having fateseal on it? It didn't seem much worse than any of the other 'I basically win' ones like Ajani Vengeant.
>>
>>49998120
Vulcan? And that's the art you used?

Anyway, no to Fateseal because unlike something like Ajani, it doesn't put you super far ahead of everyone else. It's subtle advantage that builds up over time. Which is the problem. This doesn't end games, it just prolongs them. At least, that's my take on it.
>>
>>49998163
>Vulcan? And that's the art you used?

It is incredibly hard to find art of female vulcans that are not in a science uniform.
>>
>>49998163
>Anyway, no to Fateseal because unlike something like Ajani, it doesn't put you super far ahead of everyone else. It's subtle advantage that builds up over time. Which is the problem. This doesn't end games, it just prolongs them. At least, that's my take on it.

How would you do an ult that stays within the theme of 'Data Analysis' in that case? Trying not to make something that's too close to just another Jace card.
>>
>>49998043

White seems unneeded. While white gets tapping, blue gets it as well.
>>
File: Lereas Palatines.png (1007KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Lereas Palatines.png
1007KB, 750x1046px
>>
File: Epiphany Greaves4.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Epiphany Greaves4.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>49998311
>Whenever a creature you control deals combat damage to a player, you may draw that many cards.
or
>Whenever an opponent draws a card, you may draw a card.
or
>At the beginning of your upkeep, exile the top card of each opponent's library face down. For as long as that card remains exiled, you may look at it, you may cast it, and you may spend mana as though it were mana of any type to cast it.
Last one might be too long though.

Anyway, definitely something that involves card advantage, preferably in a way that takes advantage of what your opponents have.

Oh yeah, and I was thinking token gen for the +2. Like, a Vulcan Rogue or something, maybe with Hexproof.

>>49998361
>power or converted
This feels very clunky. You should pick one, probably power, and stick to it.
>create a token [...] onto the battlefield.
Don't worry Kazy, we're all still getting used to the new wording. Anyway, the wording for making it a copy and tapped and attacking is a bit awkward. Maybe just at the beginning of combat on your turn, make a token that's a copy of a creature you control, it has Haste?
>>
>>49998426

Repeatable tokens puts it more into the red area (or possibly white, which it is) than blue.
>>
>>49998361
>>49998426
Oh wait, I forgot about Myriad, and they already updated the Oracle text.
>create a token that’s a copy of this creature that’s tapped and attacking
Of course, change to copy of target attacking creature, though it still feels awkward. Your choice though.
>>
>>49998447
Yeah, I thought the White would justify that.
>>
File: Locket of Adias.jpg (89KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Locket of Adias.jpg
89KB, 752x523px
Does anyone have any advice for doing this kind of thing? Feedback/recommendations appreciated.
>>
File: Sin Evaluation.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sin Evaluation.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>
File: World Domination.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
World Domination.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
Had an idea. No clue how to cost this though.

>>49998774
I wouldn't put Chosen on something that turns into a good creature because it seems absurdly easy to trigger.

I feel like the art on Locket is very ill-fitting, since we can't even see the Locket.

Adias seems interesting, though making spells cost less seems kinda odd for White.

>>49998832
Use Oracle, seriously.
>Whenever a creature you control dies, put two -1/-1 counters on each creature that dealt combat damage to it this turn.
>>
File: Sin Evaluation 2.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sin Evaluation 2.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Lereas Palatines2.png (1002KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Lereas Palatines2.png
1002KB, 750x1046px
>>49998426
Lololol. Actually, I changed the wording from the old one, and didn't do so properly. >>49998453
eh. Should remove the targeting. Here, take2.
>>
File: Mages Denial.jpg (31KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mages Denial.jpg
31KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49999295
>higher power.
Didn't notice this before, but this should just be
>with power 3 or greater.
Also, why is RW getting this not!Skulk? I feel like it should just stop low power creatures from blocking.

>or if it would leave the battlefield.
Why? It's a token, it'll cease to exist once it's off the battlefield. The only thing this does is prevent triggers based on zone change, like Morbid.
>>
File: Future's End.jpg (172KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
Future's End.jpg
172KB, 750x523px
Why do I have such an obsession with big, flashy mythics? Flavor basically taken from Phyrexian Rebirth and tweaked a little. Though I have to admit, I'm not entirely sure if these should be OMAC Horrors or OMAC Zombies.
>>
>>49999295
I don't know why you're bothering with choice, target would work just fine here.
>>
File: Hallows Remembrance.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hallows Remembrance.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Cards that reference the command zone reeee.
>>
File: Close Ranks.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Close Ranks.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
Can flanking be fixed?
>>
File: Image.jpg (27KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
27KB, 223x310px
>>50004592
yeah, pic related.
>>
Is there a general sadder than this in /tg/
>>
File: Bonerattle.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bonerattle.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>50005480
How so?
>>
>>49996253
That's fair; I'll fix it later.
>>
>>50005530
Undying doesn't work on tokens, it's not a replacement effect.
>>
>>50005530
So, want do you think we'll see onSkellies now? Indie? Tenacious Dead ability? Reassembling Skeleton ability?
>>
File: Michael Carter Booster Gold.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Michael Carter Booster Gold.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
So... everyone at FNM or something?
>>
>>50006988
Fuck, I forgot.

I was going to make them Drudge Skeletons but somebody would pipe in with "Wizards is killing Regenerate!" and then mistakes were made.

Man, losing Regenerate annoys me.
>>
>>50008766
To be fair, Skeleton tokens are very rare, likely because of the complexity of Regen. Though I'm still wondering just what Skeletons, and Trolls, will get to make up for the loss of Regen.
>>
File: UCW03 Titansight Oracle.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
UCW03 Titansight Oracle.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
"what if sun titan but smol," I thought, creatively bankrupt
>>
File: Montgomery Kelly.jpg (56KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Montgomery Kelly.jpg
56KB, 375x523px
>>50008947
Yeah, you should be totally ashamed of yourself. /sarcasm

Anyway, having an ETB trigger that exiles the card afterwards seems really weird. I mean, if it were a death trigger or activated ability, I could see it, but it just seems wrong to have something enter the battlefield then immediately exile it for an effect.
>>
>>50008988
>but it just seems wrong to have something enter the battlefield then immediately exile it for an effect.
/CO/anon hates Evoke; it's confirmed. Well, soft confirmed; sac is a bit less extreme than exile.
>>
File: Duskhallow Consecrator.png (197KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Duskhallow Consecrator.png
197KB, 375x523px
>>
>>50010278
Doesn't need to be rare.
>>
>>50010293
I think the exiling part means it does. Protection from a creature type by itself is kind of whatever.
>>
>>50010293
>>50010278
Only way I'd see that card at rare is as a "flavor rare" to free up that uncommon slot for something players would rather draft. Useful in a set as a sideboard or counterpick, but not something that does work in your deck every time. If it had some other small advantage, it might merit the rare slot more than just "we'd rather have a more draftable uncommon in the slot this would normally take". At WW you could certainly get away with more.
>>
>>50010021
Evoke is a clever way of turning creatures into spells. This card is just confused. And yes, sac is less punishing than exile.
>>
>>50010021
>>50011483
Also, Evoke uses ETB and LTB triggers, which will go off regardless of whether or not the Evoke cost was paid.
>>
File: CivCommanders.jpg (889KB, 1496x1036px) Image search: [Google]
CivCommanders.jpg
889KB, 1496x1036px
Been playing a shitload of Civ 6 so I decided to create some EDH commanders based on some of the leaders

Some of them are a bit more flavorful than others, I particularly like Cleo and Victoria.

>Qin Shi Huang
This one doesn't really correspond too well with the in-game leader and kinda all-ins on the Great Wall theme but I thought a Wall commander was novel enough

>Victoria
Pretty simple soft land control + token generation. In-game you are pushed to settle on foreign continents.

>Cleopatra
Encourages "trading" gold

>Trajan
Always wants to be the largest civ on the map so I wanted his ability to basically reflect his "bigger than you" policy

>Gandhi
Memes. I don't know if this seems overly abusable.

>Montezuma
Reflects more of his earlier incarnations since he makes no references to human sacrifice anymore but his new bonuses seems so detached from him personally so I ignored them

>Herald
Viking pillage, loot and loot some more if you plunder
>>
File: Rip Hunter Time Master.jpg (59KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Rip Hunter Time Master.jpg
59KB, 375x523px
>>50011843
Don't know anything about Civ, well, aside from why Nuclear Gandhi exists, but these look pretty good.

>Qin Shi Huang
Eh, I honestly feel like the Wall could do with some power. Seems pretty cool otherwise. inb4 "Donald Trump: The Card"

>Vicky
Funny stuff. Unsure of balance though. Seems like an interesting tool for politics and land denial. Also, flavor is pretty spot-on. Kinda wish it could colonize your own stuff. Don't know if doing that would break it or not though.

>Cleo
Seems interesting, not entirely sure how well it will play out though. Also not entirely sure of the wording, specifically the very last sentence.

>Optimus Primeceps
Eh... I really don't like how you can't even activate the ability unless you're at a disadvantage. I'd like it more if, say, it could create one of the tokens whenever, but you could get more if an opponent has more creatures than you. Hmm, maybe one extra for each opponent with more creatures?

>Gandhi
I don't get this one. It just seems like punching yourself in the face. I mean, I get that you would want to use him to avoid losing the game, but at 1 life, how much longer are you going to last anyway? Also, I don't think the ability works as-is, I'm pretty sure that while you could prevent a player from losing the game and transform Gandhi, the game would then check to see how loses and would have that player lose before the triggered ability on the DFC would resolve. I think it should do the stuff with life total before it transforms.

>Montezuma
Seems interesting. Kinda wish he could sac stuff, but that's probably just my Complexity Addiction speaking and we should just ignore it.

>Harald
...What? Is it too much trouble to just write out the rummaging again after hitting an opponent?
>>
>>50012038
I wanted Harald to be a bit more interesting than just a looting general cause looting twice isn't necessarily that interesting and blue has access to additional upkeep steps before.

Gandhi only ever affects other players. He should probably have a "that player can't lost the game until end of turn" after I think about it.

I couldn't find any wording about Cleo copying tokens so I kinda just winged it but yeah, its definitely iffy.

I might change Trajan's ability to be a bonus rather than a restriction. Seems more workable.

Thanks anon
>>
File: DragonLordTempestCycle.png (2MB, 1875x520px) Image search: [Google]
DragonLordTempestCycle.png
2MB, 1875x520px
>>
>>50012385
These are each missing about 3-4 CMC.
>>
>>50012385
Yeah, what >>50012574 said. Looking at them for the first time, I thought they were supposed to be modal spells and you forgot to say "Choose one"
>>
File: Goblin Shylock.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Goblin Shylock.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>
>>50012640
would actually be infinitely more interesting as modal spells
>>
>>50013256
instead* put that many hoard counters
>>
File: Goblin Shylock.jpg (92KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Goblin Shylock.jpg
92KB, 752x523px
>>50013256
mk2
>>
File: Fragile Alliance.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fragile Alliance.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Bile of Trakus Mortum.jpg (55KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bile of Trakus Mortum.jpg
55KB, 375x523px
Would there by any chance be a way to make the text shorter without completely changing what this guy is supposed to do? Thanks in advance.
>>
File: Bile of the Forsaken.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bile of the Forsaken.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>50015599
Fixed a few things and it made the text one line shorter. Also, I changed the name of it
>>
>>50015599
No idea. Sorry.
>>
File: Yabars Shield.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Yabars Shield.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>
>>50015708
You can't target with replacement effects, so it needs to choose instead. I wouldn't bother with a replacement and just have it return a card with cmc equal or lesser to the number of counters when it dies.
>>
>>50015708
Remove X +1/+1 counters from Bile of the Forsaken: Regenerate Bile of the Forsaken. You may return a creature card with converted mana cost equal to X from a graveyard to the battlefield under your control. X can't be 0.
>>
File: Planar Blockade.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Planar Blockade.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Lin-kul Devoted Guardian.png (300KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lin-kul Devoted Guardian.png
300KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Aradam Evergar.png (249KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Aradam Evergar.png
249KB, 375x523px
>>
>>50017573
Seems cool, though I don't like the use of emblems, and the fact that he has no way to really protect himself. Maybe the first ability
>Draw a card. Up to one target opponent discards a card.
and for the second
>Target creature gets +X/+X or -X/-X until end of turn, where X is the number of cards in your hand.
Hmm, though maybe in that case, the ult should only affect opponents.
>>
>>50016730
Should probably be
>Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under a player's control, if that player had another creature enter the battlefield under his or her control this turn, exile that creature.
>>
File: Fearful Secret.png (196KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Fearful Secret.png
196KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Song of the Spheres.png (226KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Song of the Spheres.png
226KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Rugged Glade.png (290KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Rugged Glade.png
290KB, 375x523px
>>
File: castlands.jpg (645KB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
castlands.jpg
645KB, 1875x1046px
>>50019111
Level up conditions aside from the Level up ability itself aren't cumulative. It goes from being a Wastes to a Mountain Forest to a 3/3 creature land that can't natively tap for mana.

Repostan' castlands.
>>
>>50019334
>710.2a “{LEVEL N1-N2} [Abilities] [P/T]” means “As long as this creature has at least N1 level counters on it, but no more than N2 level counters on it, it’s [P/T] and has [abilities].”
Level A-B requires that you be within the range to have those abilities.

>710.2b “{LEVEL N3+} [Abilities] [P/T]” means “As long as this creature has N3 or more level counters on it, it’s [P/T] and has [abilities].”
Level C+ only cares that you meet the minimum.

>710.4. Any ability a leveler card has that isn’t preceded by a level symbol is treated normally. In particular, each leveler permanent has its level up ability (see rule 702.86) at all times; it may be activated regardless of how many level counters are on that permanent.
The first box has no level up ability. Thus it can always tap for C.
>>
>>50019450
Ah, I see. Missed the N+ templating over the usual N-M templating. Clever. My bad.
>>
File: Amazon Reinforcements.jpg (65KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Amazon Reinforcements.jpg
65KB, 375x523px
>>50019111
Eh. I'd honestly prefer templating like Figure of Destiny or Warden of the First Tree.
>>
>>50019334
Don't really know how good/bad these are. I honestly think the closest comparison is with the dual lands from BFZ, since they're most likely going to ETB tapped on the first turn, but ETB untapped almost every turn after.
>>
Opinion? I'm always concerned with my wording
>>
>>50020664
It's shit.
>>
File: Nurturing Zone.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Nurturing Zone.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
What do you think of the name?
>>
File: 76eaylp.jpg (40KB, 691x426px) Image search: [Google]
76eaylp.jpg
40KB, 691x426px
>>50020687
>>
>>50020687
This is a flash O-Ring for 1, or "Exile target creature" at instant speed for 1WW. The idea (O-Ring that can be offensive with downside or defensive with upside) is fine, but I'm not sure the costing or wording is there to support it.
>>
>>49998774
yeah equipment tends to showcase the object, with few if any people about. Maybe turn it into an aura?
>>
File: Rule from the Grave.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Rule from the Grave.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>50020802
Well, that's an art issue, more than a card issue.

Not being able to commission art for whatever we want makes it a little bit harder for custom card makers.
>>
>>50020797
I was going to say this, but Path to Exile being a thing made me pause. At least with this you can get your creature back, but there's a reason they remade O-ring into Banisher Priest; it's easier to interact with. I think this thing >>50020687 should either ditch the Flash or cost more.
>>
>>50020797
how to fix the costing or wording? bump it up to 4cmc? make it only your own creatures?
let anyone pay to sac it? increased cost to sac it?
>>
>>50020832
Drop flash and bump it to 1W, is what I'd say. People point at Swords to Plowshares and Path to Exile as premier white removal, but Swords is old (and overpowered) and Path has a substantial upside for your opponent.

>Nurturing Zone, 1W
>Enchantment
>When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target creature until ~ leaves the battlefield. That creature returns with a +1/+1 counter for each time counter on ~.
>At the beginning of your upkeep, put a time counter on ~.
>W: Sacrifice ~.

Wizard's new O-Ring templating prevents stack abuse to exile things permanently, so the sac cost can be reduced.
>>
>>50020879
thank you, especially for the abbreviated wording
>>
File: Duplicate.png (209KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Duplicate.png
209KB, 375x523px
>>
File: CW06 Eager Recruit.png (250KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
CW06 Eager Recruit.png
250KB, 375x523px
This may be a run-of-the-mill Kicker variant, but would people like it? The reason the token isn't tied to the keyword is that each color would make different tokens (white does 1/1 soldiers, red elementals/warriors, black zombies/skeletons, etc). I'm going for a military theme here, so the mechanic name is mutable; I have an idea for another mechanic that could use this name if there's a better one out there. It's dull, but the idea here is simply to give some cards a value mechanic that can play off things the card might do (ETB haste for creatures you control on a body that also has Mobilize, for example) There isn't a ton of tricks but I'm not looking for anything cute, just something solid and playable.
>>
>>50021046
Hm. This might be okay. The targeting restriction is a huge limiting factor.

>>50020821
I'm actually curious how you'd use this. Exhume effects to keep your commander castable late-game?
>>
>>50021178
Makes Haakon a playable commander.
>>
File: Tavo Rojas Nomad.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tavo Rojas Nomad.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>50021091
I think I'd make it an ability word that related to effects that create tokens. Like for this, it would be
>Mobilize - When ~ enters the battlefield, you may pay W. If you do, create a 1/1 white Soldier creature token.
For example, some possible effects:
>Mobilize - 1B, Exile a creature card from your graveyard: Create a 2/2 black Zombie creature token.

>Mobilize - Whenever ~ attacks, create a 3/1 red Elemental creature token that's tapped and attacking.

Though this might be too broad. Dunno really. Sorry.

>>50021214
Command Beacon already does that, though not directly.
>>
File: Alfyr Guardian Knight.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Alfyr Guardian Knight.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>50021178
>>50021214
The obvious Haakon synergy, but also many decks have an easy time recurring cards from graveyard to hand or board. Also lets you reanimate your commander early, if you happen to draw it with a cheap reanimate effect.

I costed it enough to cantrip so its not totally garbage if you don't want your commander in the grave.
>>
>>50021278
I'm actually not sure how a mechanic like that would be received. Usually ability words are tied to one trigger that has a broad application through the effects. Doing it the other way around kinda feels odd, but might also be kinda neat. Thing is, I think WotC does the "unified trigger" thing for a reason; it increases card familiarity. So you know what makes Landfall work from card to card; you just need to know what the trigger causes. There'd be a lot of checking with many different triggering events, and since the result can be different tokens, that's a lot of awareness that's required to keep things straight. I might change it to that ETB suggestion though. It's a bit neater than having that one line of kicker text then having to refer to it.

>card
Eh.. making tokens with flying isn't very green. It could be argued that making tapped and attacking tokens could be in green in a secondary fashion, but the tokens this makes are not in green's purview. The "not regen" is an interesting idea though.
>>
>>50021337
1: All damage that would be dealt to target creature or player this turn is dealt to ~ instead.
>>
>>50021337
Nix the detain reminder text. It's killing your word count. I'm also wondering why you didn't just use Absorb 1.

>Rule
Fair enough. I like to ask about stuff like that because sometimes the obvious thing isn't always the only answer. I'm a dirty casual so I don't always catch all the interactions.
>>
>>50021402
Because then I'd have to include the reminder text for Absorb 1, which is just what's there. The reminder text is there because I conceived this as a Commander card, where reminder text for non-evergreens is used, even on Mythics. (See the new Cascade, Proliferate, and Flanking legendaries from C16.)
>>
>>50021442
Fair enough. Sadly, as-is, the result is a painful to read card that isn't going to pass formatting muster due to how terrible the font would be upon resizing it to actual card size.
>>
File: Erin Baker Battery.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Erin Baker Battery.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>50021379
Yeah, I just had a bunch of ideas without really thinking about how it would work as an ability word. Sorry, should've thought about that. But yeah, was trying to do something that would make it a little less like Kicker.

>card
To be fair, Green does have a few cards that make Flying Insects, though I do realize it's pretty rare. Hmm, what color should I throw in to justify it? I guess either U or W, and I feel more comfortable with W. Oh, and last ability is just copy/pasted from Tenacious Dead. Kinda hoping we'll see that more, especially now that Regen is dead.

>>50021337
Seems cool, but the toughness seems enormous for the cost. Could just be me though.
>>
File: Alfyr Guardian Knight.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Alfyr Guardian Knight.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>50021456
Eh, if I change the trigger requirement, you end up with nine lines of text, which isn't great, but it also isn't terrible. Ydris has eight lines, of which five are reminder text, and Saskia and Breya each have seven lines.

>>50021486
Gay Greeks from C16 is a 2/8 for WURG, although the fourth color is far harder than three. But then, it also doesn't blank the first damage from each source. Let's try it at five.
>>
File: mobilize concepts.jpg (251KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
mobilize concepts.jpg
251KB, 1125x523px
>>50021486
B is also a possibility as well for the flying bit on those tokens, and pairs well with the Tenacious D's ability as a tie-in.

>Erin
That's a hell of a "firstest strike" on that; I'd reduce it to two damage/targets personally, especially given that she has protection built in too.

>pic
Okay, I mocked up three Mobilize cards. Let's see what everyone prefers. I think I like the ability word version the best, because it plays well with flickering effects. The cost isn't finalized, since the set is meant to support shard-color drafting, but I felt that 1 generic was too cheap given the possible tricks.
>>
>>50021498
This reads better. I can also support the toughness reduction. I think you could make her a 2/5, honestly.
>>
>>50021514
two of these are just kicker costs.
>>
File: War Robot-115 Reaper.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
War Robot-115 Reaper.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
Sorry the last ability is so wordy. Ability is supposed to represent distracting holograms, I immediately thought of the Flagbearer ability, but used the ability from Captured by the Consulate instead. Unsure if it should factor in abilities or exile itself.

>>50021498
>Whenever damage is prevented
I'm not sure if I like this effect. I really liked it more before. And I really think you should get rid of the Detain reminder text. Just sayin'.

>Gay Greeks
Tee-hee. But yeah, I think 5 will do for now.

>>50021514
I'll be honest, I like the middle the most because it's less Kicker than the other two.

>B is also a possibility
True.

>Erin
Original idea was a choice of 3 damage to one target or 1 damage to each of three targets, though I don't suppose that helps. Kinda miffed that this means I'll basically be making Jason Todd, again, but oh well. I might just mess with the P/T or the damage prevention to keep the ping where it is.
>>
>>50021563
We've had this discussion as a thread before; WotC knows Kicker is too broad and the best way to use it is to make thematic "set flavored" variants instead. So that's what this is, in a few of these incarnations. But that doesn't tell me what you think about potentially playing with them, which is what I really care about.
>>
>>50021646
>"it's just kicker"
>>50021647

With that out of the way; let me say I'm surprised this is you, /CO/anon. I don't often see you without your symbol on. What's the occasion? I'm noticing a scifi thing going on here with your cards here.

>Warbot
I like the illusion spoof ability, actually. It's wordy, but fun. The "pay mana to machine gun them dudes over yonder" thing is pretty alright too; I think the cost is okay for that.
>>
>>50021563
>>50021646
Also, to be fair, the last one is modeled after Replicate, but worded strangely because... well, isn't that how you'd have to word that? I wish it weren't.
>>
File: alfyr ideas.jpg (248KB, 1125x523px) Image search: [Google]
alfyr ideas.jpg
248KB, 1125x523px
>>50021646
Lets try some variants on Ms. Pillowfort.

Also, mana abilities by definition can't target, so you don't need to specify "that isn't a mana ability" when talking about things that need to target.
>>
>>50021688
>>50021647
The first two are literally kicker, as by themselves they do nothing but let you pay mana and rely on another ability to see an effect. Only the third is specialized.

Also, it's as exciting as support but requires a million different types of tokens.
>>
>>50021646
I think you should just have it exile itself at end of turn instead. It will save you a line of text and it's more simple to understand. The "and" part is really off putting to me. Maybe because it's a token with two abilities which is a little much I think.

I get that it's correct, it just looks messy.
>>
>>50021722
I addressed the Kicker thing already; take it or leave it. I also addressed how exciting it is it isn't but I want solid mechanics over glam and flashiness. It's how I roll. I dunno about "a million types of tokens"; WotC usually allows for around a dozen or so per set, so the five this would require would leave seven to play with, and I probably wouldn't play all that much with that remainder to be honest.

>>50021721
Third is the most interesting to me, by far.
>>
File: Spectre.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Spectre.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
Oh lord this one is boring. And yes, it has no race type, it's supposed to be missing.

>>50021688
>>50021647
Fair enough. It's not just for not being Kicker, it's for being an ETB trigger rather than a cast trigger, which means it's a lot more interactive, and, I think, relevant. Now it will come into play whenever it hits the battlefield, regardless of how it got there, whether it be flicker, recursion, cheat into play, etc.

>I don't often see you without your symbol on. What's the occasion?
I actually don't even use set symbols outside my CO cards. Well, except for my failed Zombie set. And a card for Koth. But yeah, decided to take a bit of a break from CO cards right now. Probably not going to last too long though. That said, it is kinda refreshing to just dive into new designs like this. Sometimes I do feel kinda constrained by the little rules I've set up for myself in the CO set, I have a bit of a problem separating lore from mechanics in that set. Which is why you might have noticed, for example, how Humans are almost always 2/2 in that set.

>I'm noticing a scifi thing going on here with your cards here.
They're actually all characters from Call of Duty: Black Ops 3. They're multiplayer-only characters called "specialists", and they function kinda sorta like Overwatch or Dota characters where they have unique tricks and weapons. Oddly, I've never actually played the game. But I'm always intrigued by unique multiplayer characters like this.
>>
>>50021721
Ooh, third one is pretty neat. Though, I have to ask, how does it work if the damage isn't prevented? Like, does the creature still get Detained or not?

>>50021758
Yeah, probably a good idea to just exile it at end of turn. And yes, the
>," and "
Is always weird for me too, but that is how it's formatted.
>>
>>50021842
I'm in agreement about the second version, I think. It has more possibilities on the whole, and isn't as much a pain to balance as the third one. The first one just doesn't look as elegant either.

>symbol
Oh, I knew you took it off once in a while, I just didn't know that was you like you usually don't know who I am when I post since nosymbol. I think it's interesting that you so thoroughly enjoy making cards out of other IPs and that's like, my biggest no-no personally. No issue when others do it though, so long as they put in effort, which you do, and which I've said exhaustively in the past so I probably didn't need to repeat it.

>Spectre
Simple. Works.

It also reminds me that I have to design a Hexproof replacement for my set. I read in a few places that it's on deck for a re-imagining, so I want to get a jump on that.
>>
File: and then some random storm card.png (32KB, 970x144px) Image search: [Google]
and then some random storm card.png
32KB, 970x144px
>>49992465
Cool idea, but it will only ever be used to win that turn in a dedicated combo deck. The biggest cost difference in magic is between 1 mana and free.
>>
File: alfyr ideas 2.jpg (167KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
alfyr ideas 2.jpg
167KB, 750x523px
>>50021778
>Third is the most interesting to me, by far.
My (tiny) issue with it is that it primarily hits creatures... which have already tapped to attack, and so detaining them doesn't do a lot unless you're saving other people (which was an intentional idea behind the design.) I considered freeze tap (doesn't untap during its next untap step) but worried that'd be too powerful. See the version here.

>>50021880
I misworded the one on that post. There's two kinds of these effects. One is a delayed triggered ability based off a replacement effect created by a spell (Samite Ministrations), which is nice if that trigger needs to target.

The second kind is just a big fancy replacement effect with a second conditional half that requires the damage to actually be prevented. When the conditional requires a target, it can't exist on a static ability, because the target needs to be declared before the prevention shield is applied. If you don't target, you can get away with this (like Comeuppance).

So if the damage isn't prevented (because you Skullcracked, or whatever), no detaining/tapping occurs. She can still redirect under a Skullcrack, though, because that isn't prevention.
>>
>>50022036
The tapdown would be fine at five mana, I think. It depends on what you want her to do, since ultimately she's your card.
>>
File: Eurus.png (263KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Eurus.png
263KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Hexrpoof variants.png (30KB, 638x480px) Image search: [Google]
Hexrpoof variants.png
30KB, 638x480px
>>50021926
>symbol
Well, it's not so much that I take it off as it is that most of the time I'm doing CO stuff. Like, I have separate MSE files for everything, and I only use the CO symbol for the CO set files. Yes, more than one, because it's easier to keep everything straight that way.

>other IPs
Being completely honest, I think it's because it gives me constraints. Like, I just almost never come up with cards if I have no real, I guess, goal. If I were just told to make whatever I want, completely original not based on anything else, I think I'd have a lot of trouble coming up with something. I mean, I do have original ideas, but setting myself up with adapting cards, as a problem that needs a solution, just seems to work for me.

>Spectre
Yeah. Looking back on it again, it really does fit. Gotta watch my Complexity Addiction.

>Hexproof
Just search through Maro's Tumblr. He's really not shy in letting people know that he's a bit concerned where Hexproof is right now. I swear there was one where he outright said that Hexproof is on the chopping block right after Regen (er, he said this before they dropped Regen, I think). I'll see if I can find it.
>>
>>50021926
>>50022126
http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/103216326983/i-believe-we-are-at-the-right-amount-of-evergreen

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/121328567333/other-than-regeneration-and-hexproof-are-any
>>
File: Divide the Heavens.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Divide the Heavens.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>50022085
The idea was "political Bant pillowfort." Was originally WURG like Gay Greeks, but couldn't find space for a Red effect without sacrificing Blue. So she ended up being Bant for that political community "save your opponents" vibe.

But she'll probably end up with the tapdown, and maybe a bump to 2/6.

>card
Because more weeb things, and because Youmu art tends to make nice action-oriented stuff. A semi-modal board wipe. An opponent controls the threshold, but you decide high or low, so you can always kill something you want. Or they can just name 0 and you can blow up everything. Maybe its a terrible idea.
>>
File: Ætherbender.png (215KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ætherbender.png
215KB, 375x523px
>>50022126
Yeah I saw that article too. I like the idea of Hexrproof while untapped, or just tacking a condition onto it in general. I feel like I need to give it a good ol' college try too to see what I can come up with myself. I had an idea for something like this, earlier in the week; pic related. I don't always agree with MaRo, but I do agree that everything should be as interactable as possible in the game to create decision-making and playmaking opportunities.

Also don't hate on the name; I know they abandoned the Æ but I like it so much better...

>>50022160
thanks, Anon.

>>50022161
>2/6
Eh, I like her at 2/5 myself, even with the cost increase. The bump up to tapdown is already worth it I think.

>Divide
the "less than" clause is a black effect now, I think.
>>
File: Grief-stricken Knight.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Grief-stricken Knight.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>50022263
>the "less than" clause is a black effect now, I think.
Yeah, I almost immediately made it cost 1WB when I realized that too. Even better since flavorfully Youmu is WB as fuck.

I dislike the ash because its annoying to write (if you're referencing or autocarding something) if you don't have an Icelandic keyboard or an obtuse knowledge of alt codes.

The problem with ward is that abilities don't have mana costs in the same way they have controllers. They have sources with mana costs, though.
>>
File: Krystof Hejek Firebreak.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Krystof Hejek Firebreak.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
One of the cards I want to do is a character with what basically amount to x-ray vision to let her know where exactly her opponents are, but I have no idea how to represent it properly. Anyone have any ideas?

>>50022263
Seems interesting. Great name choice. I've always leaned more towards the Frost Titan ability myself. Maybe a scaling variant.
>(Whenever this becomes the target of a spell or ability an opponent controls, counter it unless that player pays mana equal to this permanent's converted mana cost.)
Blech, nevermind, yours is much better. Yeah, this is why Wizards takes years to fix things like this. And why they haven't found a proper UB evergreen keyword yet.

Wait, maybe having a static version with a number attached? No, gross. Dunno why, but I hate having keywords with numbers.
>>
>>49992792

It's okay for cards to be limited. Attempts to have it all like this end up at least one of three things:

>Too many words
>Too good
>Garbage

There's nearly no good solution. Ideally, cards with partner /should/ be mediocre on their own. If not, why print any commander oriented legends without partner?
>>
File: Maiden of the Lake.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Maiden of the Lake.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>50022347
>One of the cards I want to do is a character with what basically amount to x-ray vision to let her know where exactly her opponents are, but I have no idea how to represent it properly. Anyone have any ideas?
The Glaring Spotlight effect?

>>50022331
I need to write flavor text to tie these cards together.
>>
>>50022331
Like, ANY combat damage? Outside of Madness or graveyard shenanigans, I don't think people would be willing to put up with that downside. Could just be me though.

>>50022382
Jesus, why didn't I think of that? Thanks.

>card
Seems good, though I'd have to double-check with Oracle to make sure. Can't help on flavor text though.
>>
>>50022331
>sources with mana costs
That might be a better way to word it, and it saves some space too.

Oh I get why the changed it, but for us, we don't have to use it since people won't be searching Gatherer or Magiccards.info for our stuff, so it's not a huge deal from a usability standpoint. I guess it makes archive searches a bit worse? Meh.

>Knight
This would be pretty neat in a graveyard-centric set. Otherwise, the drawback is pretty heavy.

>>50022347
>Krystof
Hmm. 7 mana to deal 5 damage to everything blocking or blocked by it is steep enough to probably be okay.

>xray vision
Hand peek? Could augment it to be a bit stronger by letting her hand peek, then peek at a number of cards of the top of that player's library? I dunno how you keep that honest though, so the order doesn't change. Reveal lets everyone see and defeats the purpose of the Xray motif.

>ward
>Wait, maybe having a static version with a number attached? No, gross. Dunno why, but I hate having keywords with numbers.
I do too. Are you me? No, you can't be, you make good cards.

Part of the reason I avoided the Frost Titan ability is that I don't like numbers in my evergreens. Scry gets a pass because it's a keyword action.
>>
File: Parted Too Soon.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Parted Too Soon.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>50022421
>Like, ANY combat damage?
The intention was Black's "we can do it, but you're going to pay for it" for an above-curve first-striker.

But for some reason I made it rather on-curve. How do people feel about a bump to 4/2?

>>50022442
>I don't like numbers in my evergreens.
But what about Equip, anon? /s

>card
Part two of the story. They go >>50022382, then this one, then >>50022331. Thanks, MSE, for making the tiny knight really hard to see in these low-res exports.
>>
>>50022468
3/2 first strike is above curve, especially in a color that is only tertiary in first strike. 4/2 would be nuts. Also, you just dump your hand and the downside evaporates.
>>
File: Ætherbender.png (213KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ætherbender.png
213KB, 375x523px
>>50022468
>equip
Keyword action, anon. Gets a pass.

>cards telling a story
Is this Mirage? Are we in 1996?

>pic
How does this read? "Source" isn't used that often in this way so it looks a bit strange but I like that it's only three lines now. Feels more evergreeny.
>>
>>50022468
>Thanks, MSE, for making the tiny knight really hard to see in these low-res exports.
What? *squints* Huh, never noticed that before.
>>
File: Blessed Spellward.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Blessed Spellward.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
My own attempt at stuff with not actually hexproof.

BeefyHexproof for a rather green version of it (Since green is one of the primary colours for Hexproof)
>>
File: Alessandra Castillo Outrider.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Alessandra Castillo Outrider.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
OK, here's the x-ray one.
>>
>>50022512
>low-res
I know all about the high-res templates, but I wish someone would rig up a template that keeps the cards the same size as what we're accustomed to from MSE, but with a better art grabber so the art looks less artifacted. I like the size of the cards MSE makes by default because it prevents verbosity; when you use the high-res template, you have a tendency to get too wordy since it's easy to read.

>>50022521
I think I've seen this card before? Feels a bit like a Flagbearer, hence the white I assume? One of the reasons, since you mention beef, that I liked Ward as a concept when I thought it up was green would love it with all that ramp and huge CMCs. I could see a Flagbearer-like ability being an option, as well as an auto-Spellskite sort of thing, or maybe even the "counter the first spell targeting this thing" they did in Kamigawa.
>>
>>50022561
Oh yeah, why WU. Well, I personally see the last ability as being Blue, so yeah.
>>
File: 5thEdition.jpg (103KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
5thEdition.jpg
103KB, 750x523px
>>50022498
Wasn't sure, because its competing with Abattoir Ghoul, a 3/2 First Strike with upside for 3B. There are 3/2 First Strikes for 3, but two of them are legendary (Anax and Cymede, Thalia 2.0), and the other two non-conditionals have red (Rakdos Augermage and Mindsparker).

Wasn't sure if going from 3B to 1BB was worth such a huge drawback as shredding your hand.

>>50022500
>Is this Mirage? Are we in 1996?
If I have the chance to find multiple related pieces by the same artist, I do like to tie them together, sometimes. Its rare, though.

But yes, we are in 1996.

>>50022561
I like it.
>>
>>50022574
I'd actually put it in red, myself. "damage can't be prevented" is meant to push through a white hate effect, so why not give it the ability to push through blue burn hate, aka hexproof?
>>
>>50022582
>cards
I liked these before, still like them now.

>1996
Oh no, that means I'm still a kid! Anyway, doesn't Wizards still use art to tell parts of a story? Sure, not as much as they used to, but they still do it, especially with stuff like the story spotlight or whatever.

>I like it.
Thanks.

>>50022593
That is a pretty good argument. I'll think about it in the morning. Going to bed now.
>>
>>50022571

>I think I've seen this card before? Feels a bit like a Flagbearer, hence the white I assume?

Yeah, the flagbearer is the white part. I've also posted it once before when I was tinkering with this idea before. I personally liked power/toughness for it as it did fun things with buffs.

An aura helps protect itself from being 2 for 1'd.
>>
File: Firing Line.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Firing Line.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
bamp
>>
File: Dune Eater.png (268KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dune Eater.png
268KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Danny Li Blackjack.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Danny Li Blackjack.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
First ability from Murderous Spoils, though I'm not sure if just stealing the Equipment is mono-Black. Maybe Red.

>>50023614
Ability is cool. Probably gonna steal it. Art is neat though, what's it from?

>>50024380
Meh, seems fine.
>>
File: Donnie Walsh Ruin.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Donnie Walsh Ruin.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
Page 10 bump. Anyone else here?
>>
File: 1473297319523.jpg (733KB, 791x1107px) Image search: [Google]
1473297319523.jpg
733KB, 791x1107px
I was at the grocery store, sorry.
>>
>>50029154
Who are you?
>>
File: Courier Witch.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Courier Witch.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>50029677
Dead Bird Anon slash Weeb Anon.
>>
File: Muffle.png (262KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Muffle.png
262KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Thalia Whisperer of Emrakul.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Thalia Whisperer of Emrakul.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>50029961
>tax effect that works from the graveyard
Something about this displeases me. Maybe because you can throw it in Dredge and it just works.
>>
File: Maguer Bloodpriest.png (242KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Maguer Bloodpriest.png
242KB, 375x523px
Did someone say CH-CH-CH-CHAIN VEIL? This is stupid, isn't it.

>>50011843
I like these. They're very politics-y. That's probably a good thing.
You wanna know something dumb? They're not doing italics in names any more. They deitalicised Sarpadian Empires Vol. 4 and everything. Speaking of Vicky, "is tapped" should be "become tapped."

>Qin Shi Huang
"Target opponent loses 1 life for each Wall you control. You gain life equal to the life lost this way."

there's your daily dose of pointless autism
sometimes I don't know why I persist with this meaningless existence
>>
File: Brain Broil.png (1MB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Brain Broil.png
1MB, 750x1046px
>>50013523
>Hath not a Goblin eyes? Hath not a Goblin hands, organs,dimensions, senses, affections, passions? Fed with the same food, hurt with the same weapons, subject to the same diseases, healed by the same means,warmed and cooled by the same winter and summer, as a Legendary Creature — Human Knight is?

go home, Tivadar, you're drunk
>>
File: Titans Disdain.png (233KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Titans Disdain.png
233KB, 375x523px
>>50029816
I always saw some kind of freaky octopus-rosette-tooth.

>>50029961
jesus christ how horrifying
can you IMAGINE playing against this shit?
nightmarish
>>
File: Iya Oshiva Den Mother.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Iya Oshiva Den Mother.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>50030311
>I always saw some kind of freaky octopus-rosette-tooth.
This was another set symbol design I worked out a while back, but since I've already posted a lot with the dead bird/tooth/effigy thing, I figured it would have been confusing to switch.

I don't do sets, just one-offs and cycles, so there's not a big reason for me to switch other than the fact that everyone reads the symbol differently.
>>
File: Shozha the Unscathed.png (921KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Shozha the Unscathed.png
921KB, 750x1046px
Too much going on, cut the wolf token and lower the cost accordingly. Love the rest of the design.

Could I have the art, please?
>>
>>50030875
Secret anti-boardwipe tech?
>>
File: 1437954671782.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1437954671782.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>50031053
Less secret, more "the whole point". Thank you for the art, rosette-chan!
>>
>>50031053
Oh, and as for confusing people:
>>50030875
>>50030311
>>50030242
are all me. I think your current symbol is pretty much perfect
>>
File: Bonded Pair.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bonded Pair.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>50031133
You're welcome, moon-anon.

>card
Since the wolf token got rolled off of Iya, have this. Its boring but functional, probably.
>>
File: Lifebond.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Lifebond.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>50031182
And then I go posting old cards that I made before the Create template without remembering to update them.
>>
>>50031212
I feel like this should specify attacking creature,otherwise it could be used as some kind of trample effect.
>>
>>50031616
It was in fact originally black, because black gets "Whenever damage is dealt to a creature, its controller loses that much life." But prevention and redirection aren't black, even when used offensively, so it got shuffled over to white.

The intent was that it was deceptively flexible; you can use it on your own creatures to save them at the cost of your life, or use it on your opponent's creatures to sneak damage though or turn creature damage spells into face damage spells.

Maybe I'll throw it to BW and make it cantrip.
>>
File: Delegate Cycle.jpg (348KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
Delegate Cycle.jpg
348KB, 1875x523px
I'd like to gauge the power level on this mechanic. For context, it's designed to be played in multiplayer.
>>
>>50032113
I like them. With the exception of Green, because it can hit a land, they're all nice political plays when you're sitting on a shitty/empty board. Might bump Accomplished Mimickry and Devasting Overgrowth up a bit on the delegate cost, though. Also might like an "up to one target creature" on Surge of Ruthlessness.
>>
File: COMMANDERS.jpg (1MB, 1875x1569px) Image search: [Google]
COMMANDERS.jpg
1MB, 1875x1569px
>>50032159
Bumped up Mimickry and Overgrowth. The delegate costs for those are now 1U and 2G respectively. Also the "up to one target creature" clause has been added for Surge.

Have some commanders! This time it's all about 2 color allied commanders. Also completing the rare partner cycle in C16. I think Sarax might be a bit too powerful, but I'll leave that for you guys to decide.
>>
File: Yawgmoth the Despoiler.jpg (34KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Yawgmoth the Despoiler.jpg
34KB, 375x523px
myeh
>>
File: Copperhead3.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Copperhead3.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
Having trouble with this one. I don't know whether or not poison counters are evergreen, but decided to go with them anyway. OK, Copperhead, her thing is using poisons to kill people, and in Origins, the fight with her involved the poison making Bats hallucinate that there were multiple of her attacking him at once. So, Illusions.

>>50029961
Holy god this seems like a nightmare to deal with.

>>50030242
>This is stupid, isn't it.
If you thought that, why post it in the first place?

>>50030311
Eh, not sure about this. Specific mana, but mana a lot of things can make. Really screws over not playing with nonbasic lands though.

>>50031182
Not sure about this. Closest comparison is Wakedancer, which has the death trigger. But this card is Green, and it's a bit more mana intensive...

>>50031212
I feel like this is too flexible. I think for White, it should only be used on stuff you control.

>>50032113
Dunno about this. Could be interesting. Could screw you over spectacularly.

>>50032415
>Skirmish
Not a fan.

>Hybrid
Please read about how hybrid mana should be used in the OP. Most of these I don't see as truly hybrid. The middle ability on Meklemore is mono-White, third ability on Sovereign feels mono-White, though it'd kinda hard to say to be honest (this might be the only one that could be hybrid), Eskasi should not have Hexproof as that is not Black (ignore Slyblade, it was a mistake), and the last ability feels mono-Black, Otso pinging is mono-Red, and Ghesor making tokens like this is mono-Green.
>>
File: received_10208969668816209.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
received_10208969668816209.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>49991483

At first I felt like I should bump this up to 5 mana. Then I thought, no, fuck that. Boros deserves something good
>>
File: Sword of Fame and Glory.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sword of Fame and Glory.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Sword of Scorn and Defeat.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sword of Scorn and Defeat.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Succubus Impaler.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Succubus Impaler.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>50032921
>Not sure about this. Closest comparison is Wakedancer, which has the death trigger. But this card is Green, and it's a bit more mana intensive...
There's several 3/3s for 1GG with upsides (Witchstalker (hexproof), Wolfir Avenger (flash), Deathmist Raptor (deathtouch)), so I figured 4/4 across two vanilla bodies was tolerable. At 2GG you start getting 4/4s and 5/5s with upsides, and at GGG you have a 5/4 vanilla, so its sort of an awkward statline pinch.
>>
>>50033248
Again, I'm not sure because there's not a lot to compare it to. Yeah, there are those examples you give, but not a single one makes tokens. Also, you are completely overlooking how rarity factors into what a card can do. The card you made is a common, a lower rarity than nearly every example you give, with the sole exception being Blastoderm, being a 5/5 for 2GG with an upside (Shroud), but it also has a downside (Fading 3) to make up for that.

>at GGG you have a 5/4 vanilla
No. You're confusing Leatherback Baloth (GGG for 4/5 vanilla) with Woolly Thoctar (RGW for 5/4 vanilla).

>card
So, basically, a Nekrataal that can come back? Well, it's good that it doesn't have FStrike. Destruction seems more flexible though. Eh... Maybe 2BB.
>>
>>50033402
>Nekrataal that can come back?
Not him, but u wot? It's Unleash, not Undying. It's a neat card but Unleash on a Nekrataal-alike feels off somehow. Maybe it's a personal flavor thing, I dunno. Also where is everyone? Sleeping? I mean it is Sunday night here in Burgerland.

>>50033069
>>50033082
These are neat, but I wish they were a bit tighter as a cycle. I feel like Scorn and Defeat shouldn't affect permanents, but instead do something with spells to reverse-mirror Fame and Glory.
>>
File: Gideons Awakening.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gideons Awakening.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>50033402
>rarity
Well, there's Scion Summoner, a 2/2 for 2G that makes an Eldrazi Scion token. So you trade +1/+1 on the token for the sac ability, and that's also at Common.

>Suckybutt
Yeah, as >>50033994 noted, its not Undying, its Unleash. So it's a 3/2 that can't block and clears out a tapped creature. Murderous Compulsion and Terror are the same cost, so bumping it to 2BB is probably fine.
>>
File: Erin Baker Battery2.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Erin Baker Battery2.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>50033994
Oh, whoops. Yeah, thought it was Undying. And yes, it does feel off.

As for where everyone is... no idea. The fact that sometimes the thread will be blowing up and other times dead for hours frustrates me to no end.
>>
File: awakening.jpg (332KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
awakening.jpg
332KB, 1875x523px
>>50034130
>And yes, it does feel off.
Is it because Nekrataals shouldn't be aggressive creatures? How about upping the cost and making it Asphyxiate (target untapped creature) on entry?

>>50034113
Lets try this again, now as a cycle. Although technically, Nissa's Awakening was already featured, as Animist's Awakening, back in Origins.
>>
File: MarduPartnerSet.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
MarduPartnerSet.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
Have a silly Partner idea. Actually, no, have a silly idea in general. Based very, very loosely on a card from a different game.
>>
>>50034281
Just give it Dash, but then you're just making Super-Zurgo.
>>
File: MarduPartnerSet.1.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
MarduPartnerSet.1.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>50034281
And yes, before you ask, she -is- supposed to dodge commander tax since she never sticks around for more than one turn. She went through a lot of design iterations before I was happy with her as-is- previous versions involved having an effective cost of 0 as long as you played something specific before her, having no cost, being Mardu, being a Rebel, creating tokens, and having keyword soup (just not all at once).

Have a partner tangentially related to her, maybe? I can see them existing in the same set, but there's no other correlation.
>>
File: MarduPartnerSet.2.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
MarduPartnerSet.2.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>50034321
Sahri's probably more balanced, being a grave robber with the ability to carry a whopping 5 CMC (based on the wording of March from the Tomb). While I'm aware stapling that onto a bear is a little much, I think that she's a really good example of a partner commander- a utility option.
Her cost isn't high, but you want her more in the mid to late game than to drop her early, making a good compliment to someone you DO want out.

Not too much synergy with Miya because artifacts generally aren't going to care about a once-per-turn creature, but it's not like very many of the partner commanders we already have are that synergistic either.

Have the non-partner of the group, a giant horrific zombie that's made of all the curses and ill will of the dead who keep getting robbed and are pretty pissed about it. Inspiration from Ahmonket is hard to avoid. In practice, it's a big creature that guards your tomb, and lets the vengeful dead come back and take revenge on those who would steal from it. It also has a solar-powered death laser thanks to the art.
>>
File: Stellar Forge.gif (928KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Stellar Forge.gif
928KB, 375x523px
Some sort of sorcery happened here.
>>
Might as well do some feedback while I work on my commons. I mean I was the one that asked where everyone was...

>>50034113
So, dumb question, but since this doesn't make the creature type an additional type, that means they can't use planeswalker abilities or gain loyalty counters unless they have some passive ability that does so? PWs aren't my strong suit; not a very big fan of the card type.

>>50034130
This is a bit better than the last version.

>>50034266
I feel like Chandra's shouldn't make her sound so benevolent... she's a firebimbo who is just out to have a good time. I think it should be "Let there be fun!" or "Let there be charcoal!" or something less... paladiny. The cycle is kinda neat, but Jace's flavor text somewhat clashes with the effect of the card. If it did draw then it'd make more sense.

>>50034281
I agree this makes more sense with Dash. Or, a Command-zone version of Dash.

>>50034321
I feel like this is a bit much.

>>50034390
How do you find the creature card to exile from your library for his second ability?

>>50034474
Shadowverse/10.
>>
File: Karen Starr Power Girl39.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Karen Starr Power Girl39.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>50034266
I dunno... it's hard to describe. I guess because I'd rather make it either or, like... what's it, Hooded Assassin? I mean, I'd rather have a creature that gets bigger to beat face and own creatures, OR a creature that just kills on entry.

>cards
You can't just specify loyalty abilities?

>>50034281
>You don't pay additional costs
Uh... yeah, really not liking this. Like, if I had to choose between seeing this card with this ability or Banding, it would be a tough call.

>Return it to the command zone
Jesus, yeah, what >>50034300 said.

OK, if I made the card, I'd make it
>1RW: Put ~ onto the battlefield from the command zone. It gains haste until end of turn. Return it to your hand at the beginning of the next end step.

>>50034321
Now, I'm not the best at balance, but... This strikes me as one of the most incredibly overpowered cards I've ever seen in these threads. It just screams "abuse the fuck out of me." Seriously. Just consider the fact that Conjurer's Closet is 5 mana. And with Partner, her colors have no downside, you can just pick any Partner commander with the colors to all the goodies you want.

>>50034390
What exactly are you trying to do with this? Currently: Too much.

>>50034474
I think it should be
>Each artifact or enchantment creature you control enters the battlefield with an additional +1/+1 counter on it.
Not really sure on the ability though. Seems pretty narrow. I think I'd like it more if it just had every artifact and enchantment ETB with a +1/+1 counter, and it could animate them as well.

>gif
Cool. Did you use a program to pull apart the gif into multiple images then stitch each exported card into one gif? That's what I did.
>>
>>50034596
>Cool. Did you use a program to pull apart the gif into multiple images then stitch each exported card into one gif? That's what I did.
1) Export the card with a blank green card art.
2) Throw it into GIMP, turn the green to transparency.
3) Import the GIF as layers.
4) Resize the GIF into the card frame, cut off the excess.
5) Merge the card frame onto the background frame of the GIF.
6) Export as GIF.

>You can't just specify loyalty abilities?
You can, but you need to reference the permanent somehow. So it'd end up as...
>Whenever you activate a loyalty ability of a permanent you control, that permanent...
Since planeswalkers rarely have other abilities, and rarely do nonwalkers have loyalty abilities, they're functionally the same.

>Banding
Well, I did make a Banding partner earlier in the thread...

>>50034585
>Gideon
First version is bad and doesn't really work properly. Rushed idea. They'd still have abilities, because those aren't technically tied to their status as planeswalker permanents, and they'd still only be activated once per turn (because that's tied to them being loyalty abilities). But they wouldn't lose counters for taking damage, because they're not walkers anymore.

But again, that version sucks, see the cycle for the better version.
>Chandra
"Let there be fire!" it is, then.
>Jace
Was worried free draws on walkers would be too broken, but it is a 4-CMC Enchantment that does nothing on its own.

Also I'm terrible with flavor text. The Guy Fieri of Magic, I am not.
>>
>>50034780
>loyalty
Ah.
>>
File: Flickering Soldier.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Flickering Soldier.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
Had an idea. Is there any real use to this? Ignore costs, this is just a mockup.
>>
File: Gushing Impulse.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gushing Impulse.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>50035884
It lets you block things you wouldn't normally be able to block, and attack things you wouldn't normally be able to attack (mostly in multiplayer).

Also lets you "block" multiple things, because the creatures become blocked and stay blocked even if you flicker your guy over to another attacking creature.
>>
File: W commons.jpg (1MB, 1875x1569px) Image search: [Google]
W commons.jpg
1MB, 1875x1569px
>>50035884
I feel like this concept would sit pretty solidly in RW. Red getting conditional flicker that involves combat seems fine to me; it could use new tricks. It's very wordy and complex though, so I am not sure it fits on anything below uncommon, if that's a concern.

>>50035940
I think this could be easier to cast. 2R is probably fine, since the cost to activate it is steep. Any safety it gains when you're topdecking is fine considering it is only one mana cheaper than Act on Impulse and you get a net of one card instead of two.

>pic
First draft of my white commons ready to be torn into. No set symbol yet. Some notes/thoughts on these I've had initially:
>counter strike might not be something I want to debut in this set because I'm not sure it has much of a place
>there might be too much first strike
>Elusive Skirmisher might be too much at CMC1
>>
>>50036059
Oh, and:
>Veteran Hedgebreaker might need a name change and might be too much as well.
>>
File: Skeleton Hatchery.png (238KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Skeleton Hatchery.png
238KB, 375x523px
Time to shift into maximum overspook
>>
>>50036168
Oh yeah, Happy Halloween, /ccg/.
>mfw I have no spooky cards
>>
File: Ixchel The Bloodpainter.png (166KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Ixchel The Bloodpainter.png
166KB, 375x523px
>>
>>50036059
Solder tokens should probably be artifacts and not creatures.
>>
File: City of the Dead.png (259KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
City of the Dead.png
259KB, 375x523px
>>50036298
Why?

>>50036280
Seems neat. He takes a lot to get going unless you run a deck filled with cheap papercut effects.

>card
Made something spooky to mirror >>50036168 in the spirit of things. Probably overpowered as fuck but I had the idea so eh, Trick instead of Treat I guess.
>>
>>50036370
It's a joke anon, you misspelled soldier on your tokens.
>>
>>50036395
Oh goddammit. Thanks. Though, if that's the only bad thing anyone has to say about them, well that's a good sign, right?

Man, I wish I had seen it for myself when you mentioned it; that joke was awesome and totally wasted on me.
>>
>>50032990
>tfw your design is too good to be called shit and too bad to be called good, so no one talks about it at all :(
>>
>>50036482
Dangit anon, I missed it when I was going back to talk about those swords below it.

The draw seems a bit out of character for RW, honestly. Draw on combat damage is usually GU, and draw of any kind is not typically white except for cantrips. Red doesn't get straight draw either, usually it's impulse advantage or it's looting. I think you could change it to impulse and it'd be more in-color. Not sure what else you could do if that's not an option.
>>
>>50036583
The draw being out of character for RW is what I'm trying to fix- you still have to jump through some hefty hoops to draw with him, but you have SOME options. I'm a primarily competitive EDH player and it's just sad/laughable that boros has no real competitive general. I dunno if this guy would be good enough to be ran in competitive tables, but its at least another option. Plus he's not entirely based on combat.

Would he feel better if it was an end step trigger that you have to pay {1} for, a la Mentor of the Meek?
>>
>>50036621
>>50036583
As in, "At the beginning of each end step, if ~ dealt three or more damage to an opponent, you may pay {1}. If you do, draw a card."
>>
>>50036621
>>50036655
Well, I think the reason Mentor works as white draw, which is, as I mentioned, kind of atypical, is that it relies on the "community" aspect of white to do the work. What you'd need is to make some kind of RW aspect that isn't just the card dealing damage to make the draw available if you want to go that route. I'd make it require some kind of outside input like Mentor that the card can't supply itself.
>>
File: Arelind Phantasmal Slayer.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Arelind Phantasmal Slayer.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
inb4 fateseal isn't fun

there is only a certain amount of fun to be had in magic, and I want to have all of it.
>>
File: Dan Fei Seal Guardian.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Dan Fei Seal Guardian.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>50036815
I'd prefer the Ojutai hexproof, because this is pretty much immune to sorcery speed removal.

But sure, lets post anti-fun.
>>
>>50036839
How about the opposite and he's only hexproof on your turns, so sorcery speed or instants on their turn are required to deal with him?
>>
>>50036849
or I can just ditch the hexproof
>>
File: Arelind Phantasmal Slayer.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Arelind Phantasmal Slayer.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>50036861
"but how is he black?"

"because shut up"
>>
>>50036900
...because Fateseal is UB? Most of us know that, anon. Plus, making a card have extra colors, so long as they fit, is a valid way to balance costing and whatnot too. Flavor is also something you can convey that way too. I learned not to scorn seemingly "extra" colors on cards unless they creator had no good answer as to why they were included.
>>
File: Kamina Towards the Heavens.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kamina Towards the Heavens.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
Of all the weeb character cards I've designed, this one is one of my favorites.
>>
>>50036943
Man this is my main nigger Kamina we talking about. Make him more expensive and change it to "When ~ attacks or dies, distribute X +1/+1 counters among any number of other target creatures you control, where X is ~'s power." for that sweet spiral power representation.

Who the hell do you think he is? He takes the blazing sun in his bare hands and endures the searing heat! A mans man sustained by strength of will! When you hear of the great Kamina they're talking about him!

Later, buddy..
>>
>>50036943
>Samurai
>no Bushido
>it makes his death trigger even better to boot
God dammit Effigydeadbirdthinganon.
>>
File: Simon the Digger.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Simon the Digger.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>50036995
Honestly he's more a Warrior than a Samurai.

Simon ended up without a clear class. But he had to have UG because dat evolve flavor. And he removes counters to drill shit.

>>50036990
I liked the idea of an early Kamina that curves into bigger guys. If he comes down too late, the rest of the gang doesn't have their chance to shine.

Also I've posted a Kamina reprint of Hero's Downfall here before.
>>
File: Aether Snap.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Aether Snap.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>50037026
Speaking of reprints.
>>
File: Yahto Heir Apparent.png (278KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Yahto Heir Apparent.png
278KB, 375x523px
Boros has rather limited design space.
>>
Idea:

WUBRG
Legendary Creature
Partner
1/1
>>
File: Harper Row Bluebird.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Harper Row Bluebird.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>50037716
>emblem
Not sure about this. Boros card advantage is always iffy. The only reason I might think something like Harper here works is because of Puresteel Paladin, and that's iffy too, and I think RW is going to eventually have more of an equipment focus. I mean, yeah, neither W nor R have great card advantage, so it is a problem.
>>
File: Halloween.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Halloween.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>50036168
>>50036370
Might as well throw in my Halloween card too.
>>
File: Long-Dead General.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Long-Dead General.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
doot doot
>>
File: David Wilkes Prophet.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
David Wilkes Prophet.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>50041255
You don't capitalize keywords unless they begin a sentence. Otherwise... feels kinda weak for a lord, since Bushido 1 is generally not as powerful as just giving +1+1. And Samurai isn't a very relevant tribe either, so gaining that type isn't great either.
>>
File: Guardian Lancer.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Guardian Lancer.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
bamp
>>
File: Defy the Tyrants.png (246KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Defy the Tyrants.png
246KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Burial Grounds.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Burial Grounds.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
spoopy

I'm aware it uses the old token creation template, too lazy to change it.
>>
>>50044026
>>50045142
>>50045465
Are you three different anons?
>>
File: Rapid Breakdown.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Rapid Breakdown.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>50045578
Well, I'm >>50044026 and nobody else.
>>
>>50044026
It'd be better off at uncommon so you could make it a bit better.
>>
>>50045615
OK. Then I hope one of you can explain why >>50045620 is the first time we've had feedback in over 2 hours. This is how these threads die, people post cards and wait for feedback, but never give feedback. Especially you, you couldn't even be bothered to respond to the feedback here >>50041597

And people wonder why these threads go dead for a while.

Anyway, here's some feedback, even though I'm not quite sure if any of you deserve it.

>>50044026
Just looking through the creatures with Indie makes me think this should probably be uncommon at least. That said, I feel like Indie on a lancer is a flavor mismatch, I feel like FStrike would work more. Anyway, a 1/3 Indie blocker without Reach seems fine.

>>50045142
I like it. Really fits into White's high power hate. I think you might be able to make it 2W too.

>>50045465
Frankly, I'd say
>Enchant land you control
Just so you don't have to use quotes. Otherwise, I think it might be a tad overcosted. Then again, people say Squirrel Nest is a good card, so I might not know what I'm talking about. Definitely gets points for being spoopy though.

>>50045615
Seems cool. Unsure of balance, really seems like something you'd have to see in play to tell how good it is. Regardless, I bet there's a deck with stuff like Hex Parasite that's been dying to have something like this.
>>
File: Gargadian Bishop.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Gargadian Bishop.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>50045758
I responded by changing the card on my end, but unless somebody is fishing for (You)s, I'm not sure what nodding my head and agreeing that I've designed a card poorly actually contributes to the thread. I give feedback sometimes and sometimes I don't. I think I spend plenty of time coaching wording and tossing ideas for other people around, but I'm a shitty balancer and so functional ideas that need costing or body adjustments don't really draw my attention.

>Guardian Lancer
>>50045620
Was part of a bunch of Monster Hunter cards. While pikers in Magic tend to be aggressive creatures, Lancers in MonHun are defensive before anything else, so I went for a defensive creature. Regarding rarity, Cathar's Commander and Wily Bandar are both conditional indestructibles at common. The idea behind the (loose) set of cards was hunters at Common and Uncommon, monsters at Rare and Mythic.

Also, since I tend to have trouble designing Commons, I often end up pushing the boundaries of what a Common can be. Gives me a lot of respect for set designers who manage to fill out dozens of common slots.

>Burial Grounds
>>50045465
Enchanting a land you control doesn't change whether you need quotes or not. Its granting an ability, so the entire ability needs to be in quotes. And Enchantments tapping their Enchantee for abilities is a weird Future Sight thing that throws people off. That said, try using Shift-Enter for mode choices.

Are you satisfied with my participation points, now?
>>
File: Awakening the Horde.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Awakening the Horde.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>50045758
Do we have to 'deserve' feedback? Giving such isn't nor should be an obligation, though it's nice to do.

Anyways, I assume changing it to enchant a land I'd control would also have a cost of "Tap enchanted land" for the effect? Slightly weird either way. It may be overcosted, but when I made it (which was several years ago, I think), I was worried that the flexibility along with no input cost other than the pseudo-paying 1 mana for the effect might be too good. Nowadays, I think it'd be fine at 5, maybe even 4 if it were pushed a bit.

Anyways, here's another spoopy.
>>
File: Thunder Javilineer.jpg (52KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Thunder Javilineer.jpg
52KB, 375x523px
>>50046051
>Cathar's Commander
Cathar's Companion. Their commander is Odric, not a doggy.

>>50046054
"For each creature card exiled this way, create four..."
Would probably be more playable if it was a tad cheaper and made two 2/2s instead of four. Spiderspawning (4G) makes a 1/2 for each, but doesn't exile, and has flashback (6B), so its hard to tell where this should fall. Maybe 4BBB and makes two 2/2s? A super Rise from the Tide? A crappy Army of the Damned?

>card
Throw your gear at people.
>>
>>50046051
>Guardian Lancer
I realize those cards exist, but those have requirements to them. Yeah, the Lancer's Indie isn't active all the time, but you don't have ton invest anything to have it get Indie either.

>Burial Grounds
No, I meant it could then say
>Tap enchanted land: Choose one
Without needing quotes. But now that I think about it, it would then need to say "Activate this ability if enchanted land is untapped" and probably at the end of every mode, which would just make it cluttered.

>Gargy
...Yeah, gonna be totally honest, this kinda screams "This should probably have Detain, but I just don't want to use it." If that's not the case, sorry for misinterpreting it, but I'm really not seeing the appeal in Subdue, sorry.

>>50046054
Yeah, ignore what I said about changing what it enchants.

>Awakening the Horde
Not really sure about this. Yeah, it's cool to get a bunch of Zombies, but for 1 less I could not only recur all the creature cards in my graveyard, but the creature cards in all graveyards, and usually those cards are going to be better than 2/2 tokens. Could just be me though.

>>50046190
>Thunder
Seems fun. Yeah, not really anything else to say here, I like where it is. Really hoping we see something like this in official Magic one day.
>>
File: Spinesnatcher.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Spinesnatcher.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>50046294
>Gargadia Bishop
Not-Detain was the entire point, but if its missing the mark, eh. Sometimes you accidentally or purposefully make Megamorphs, I guess.

>card
Black drawbacks or something. So spoopy he rips the skeleton right out of them. The flavor made more sense in my head.
>>
>>50046591
I'm sorry, but I'm not really seeing it.
>Ha, I took your skeleton.
>Oh no, I'm a zombie!
Also, is it designed to recur forever like this?
>>
>>50046591
>>50046692
I mean, like, if the entire card were changed, maybe
>Whenever a creature dealt damage by ~ this turn dies, put a bone counter on ~.
>2B, T, Remove X bone counters from ~: Create an X/X black Skeleton Wurm creature token.
Wurm because the art reminds me a lot of this card.
>>
>>50046692
Well, it could specify nontoken permanents, but that'd make it stronger, and its already above the curve by 1 mana.

It was going to be a "Fleshsnatcher" and make 2/2 Skeletons, but Skeletons aren't 2/2s. Maybe it can just be weaker and make 1/1s.
>>
File: Starrware Industries2.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Starrware Industries2.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
So, theme for the next thread, Halloween?

Also, do you think it would help the thread if I had posted the custom card challenge earlier?
>>
File: Malthusias Eye.png (256KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Malthusias Eye.png
256KB, 375x523px
Would this wording let you play lands?

Seems like it would.
>>
>>50047472
As soon as you find out how Oracle text references color identity, I'll let you know.

Oh shit, we hit the image limit. Wow, that never happens.
>>
If a creature had the following ability
>T: Destroy target creature an opponent controls unless that player has you draw a card.
How much should it cost, and how much mana should the ability cost? Assume the creature itself is, say, 2/2.
>>
NT: >>50048221
>>
>>50047472
No, as lands are colorless and colorless is actually not a color.
>>
>>50048288
>I don't know what color identity is.
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 151

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.