[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk chess. Who are your favorite players? What are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 7

File: 54134.jpg (70KB, 532x532px) Image search: [Google]
54134.jpg
70KB, 532x532px
Let's talk chess. Who are your favorite players? What are your favorite openings? Any favorite famous chess games?

Also, can you solve this puzzle? White to move and win through a continuation of moves.
>>
>>49983564

We've seen this one already! Get a new one.

Nf6+ Kg7
Nh5+, Kg6
Bc2+ and black gets the choice of either letting the pawn queen on d8, which is real bad, or:
... Kxh5
d8=Q, Nf7+
Ke6, Nxd8+
Kf5, e2
Be4, e1=N
Bd5, c2
Bc4, c1=N
Bb5, Nc7
Ba4, Nc2
Bxc2 Ne2
Bd1, doesn't matter
Bxe2++
>>
File: 4253455.jpg (83KB, 686x691px) Image search: [Google]
4253455.jpg
83KB, 686x691px
White to move. How does white win?
>>
File: 45362355.jpg (69KB, 633x640px) Image search: [Google]
45362355.jpg
69KB, 633x640px
What is white's best move?
>>
>>49983777

Well, I've got a lot battered up against the black king, mate on b8 on two different moves. However, my king is also exposed, and the obvious move, Ka6, doesn't actually do much to solve the perpetual check, as black can play Qe2 amd then bat me around the a and b files.

Going backwards doesn't seem to do any better, and the pawn moves are illegal. That narrows it down to one of two queen moves.

Qd5 fails, because after Qxd5, black's queen is still on a white square, and can still do the perpetual check, so that leaves us with only one move

Qg5. Qxg5+
Ka6.

Now we're threatening mate on b7, and black's out of checks.

There are probably multiple lines of possible defense, but the again, most obvious one of

....Bxa7

falls to c7, as black still has no checks, and can't stop both b7++ and c8=Q++
>>
>>49983930
Qg5 is correct.
>>
>>49983898

Oh now this is a cutie. I can't take credit for this one, I've seen it before, unfortunately.

The trick is that white really wants to queen one of his pawns and keep it. You trade off one of the rooks at that point, and K+Q is a win (albeit not an easy one) over K+R. Sacrifice the bishop if necessary, but bring one of those pawns home.

Of course, black has rooks behind both of them, and you can't cover both the pawns themselves and the queening squares. So the rooks need to be distracted somehow.

Bf2. Seems like a worthless move, Rhxf2 is obviously bad, as you just queen on h8, but surely Rfxf2 preserves your position.

But then white plays

Rg2, and black is in a quandary. You can't take the rook without allowing one of the pawns to queen from whichever rook you take off the file. And you can't take either pawn without yielding your other rook and giving white a rook behind said pawn.

And it's worse than it looks, because while 2 rooks are probably a little better than the single queen, you won't keep both rooks for long. If you don't take the remaining pawn on f or h7, that'll queen too. And if you do take it right away, he'll pick up one of your rooks with Qf5 or h5, either with check.

But like I said, I can't take credit, I've seen this one before and remembered the solution, didn't solve it.
>>
>>49983777
Is this, dare I say it, the memest position ever?
>>
File: Chess puzzle.jpg (33KB, 534x525px) Image search: [Google]
Chess puzzle.jpg
33KB, 534x525px
>>49984058

Nah, this is.

White to play and win.
>>
>>49984121
I don't get it. Only the pawn on D3 can move for white.
>>
>>49984199
Each side has only one legal move, and they must make that move.
>>
>>49984222
Oh, so once the A3 pawn gets the B6 pawn that's moved to B4, the A4 pawn will move down while the white pawn that's shifted over to the B column will keep moving, and by the time the black pawn can be changed to something, the white pawn will be at B7, resulting in Checkmate.
>>
File: evil puzzle.jpg (34KB, 548x527px) Image search: [Google]
evil puzzle.jpg
34KB, 548x527px
>>49984307

Precisely. It's a joke, not a real puzzle. I have one other joke puzzle in my 4chan folder. White to play and win.
>>
>>49984372
>le move White pawn to b8 and promote to black knight meme

Even without that it's still a win for White: 1. bxa8Q+ Kxa8 2. Ka6 Kb8 3. Kb6 Ka8 4. Rc8#
>>
File: 56466.jpg (214KB, 711x717px) Image search: [Google]
56466.jpg
214KB, 711x717px
White to move.
>>
>>49987389

Don't have time to look at it closely, but Rxe6 looks awfully strong.
>>
Does it say anything about me that I absolutely suck at chess? What's anyone's advice for gitting gud at chess?
>>
>>49991796
Watch Ben Finegold on Youtube and play against people with the same skill level as you.
>>
>>49987389
My guess, can't be arsed to verify it through lichess, but >>49989405
has the right idea I think:

1. Rxe6 f7xe6
2. Ng6+ Ke8
3. Qg8+ Kd7
4. Ba4+ Nc6
5. Qf7+

and Black is clearly on the run, but I'm not sure how White closes this out.
>>
>>49991796
Chesscademy.com, and also heed >>49991927
>>
File: image.jpg (113KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
113KB, 960x960px
>>49991796
If you have time to invest/waste, get yourself some basic opening systems to play, work on tactics, buy an endgame book, preferably Silman's, and work from there. That is if you're a beginner, of course, but if you're one the 1400-1800 level players I hear saying that all the time at OTB tournaments, it's a wee but more complicated. Oh, and if anybody wants to play 3 2, set up a challenge and I'll try to do my best playing on mobile in browser. Same 2100 from the other day. Also will repost this question I posed when I tried to start my own thread: black to play, which side do you prefer?
>>
>>49991796
Well my approach is simply to stay a shitter and continuously get beaten by opponents. I figure I ought to learn something one of these defeats.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.