[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make a map of a world that's approximately the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 6

File: HexGridLandscapeBase[1].png (4KB, 365x281px) Image search: [Google]
HexGridLandscapeBase[1].png
4KB, 365x281px
How do I make a map of a world that's approximately the size of our own, but with hexes that are small enough to measure a day's travel by foot, without the pixels being so small the entire map is just blackened by hexes?
>>
By fundamentally changing the laws of physics.
>>
chopping it up into tiny pieces, never showing the whole thing at once, removing the oceans
that still wouldn't do it
>>
>>49978198
That's about 1000 hexes by 1000 hexes for the map, and if you want to "accurately" do it the hexes get smaller in the mountains and bigger on flatlands.

It's a dumb idea but if you truly wish to be a retard do it on multiple maps that you could lay out on a big flat space.
>>
>>49978198
Make the map very very big?
>>
>>49978198
I think I realized my #1 red flag for the games a normal GM would run is the insistence of drawing out a full world map.
>>
first of all, pixels will be the same size no matter what

also, let's do the math

>1 day's travel
>by foot

so, assuming D&D5e, most beings can move with a speed of 30 ft per round. Rounds are 6 secs, so that's 5ft/sec

let's convert that m/s

5ft/s = about 1.5m/s

there are 86400 seconds in one day, so that means a creature with a speed of 30 per round can move 129600 meters in one day

Alright, let's figure out the surface are of Earth!

It's 148,940,000 km^2 according to wikipedia. That's just the land surface area, it's 510,072,000 km^2 for the whole thing

So, with division, we get
>1149228 hexes (representing 129600 meteres)
for just the land area, and
>3935741 hexes
for the total surface area

BTW, I also multiplied the area by 1000 to convert to meteres.

You could do this. But it's only realistic as an interactive virtual map, like Google Earth.
>>
There's actually a very elegant solution for this but if you're too stupid to figure it out I won't say it
>>
>>49978198
Why would you do such a thing?
>>
File: ico-map.png (176KB, 1343x728px) Image search: [Google]
ico-map.png
176KB, 1343x728px
Here's an idea.

Make a Fuller map (Icosahedron projection)
You're cutting your world up into twenty triangles
Make each one of those triangles a separate hex map

I think classic Traveller uses something like this...
>>
File: file.png (855KB, 1920x1213px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
855KB, 1920x1213px
>>49978198
Easy.
>>
File: planet_map.png (435KB, 1024x504px) Image search: [Google]
planet_map.png
435KB, 1024x504px
>>49978706
Yep!
>>
File: trav grid.png (415KB, 2000x947px) Image search: [Google]
trav grid.png
415KB, 2000x947px
>>49978706
This.

You can generate world maps here:
http://donjon.bin.sh/world/

Just select icosahedral. Then slot it into pic related
>>
>>49978318
>129600 meters in one day
>129km per day

That's crazy. Humans can typically travel about 25 miles per day. 30ft/round is more like sprinting, and you can't sprint for a full day.

Surface area of the Earth is about 196.9 million mi2. That's a square map of about 14,032 miles. Dividing that by 25 mile foot travel gives you about 561 divisions. If you make each division 1 mm, you'd need a square sheet of paper 56cm per side.
>>
>>49978318
Are you autistic?
>so, assuming D&D5e,
You say this then make the rest of the post, not realizing that this travel distance is already in the DMG.
>>
File: 1336248004985.jpg (28KB, 467x413px) Image search: [Google]
1336248004985.jpg
28KB, 467x413px
>>49978198
Make a big map with hexes of equal size, and take one of those hexes.
Now make a make of that hex and fill it with little hexes, then pick one.
Now make a map of that hex and fill it with little hexes.

Repeat until you feel like you're at an appropriate scale.
>>
>>49978318
>also, let's do the math

No.

Your math assumes full combat movement, continuous, over unbroken, easy terrain like a plain without grass and no hills anywhere.

Here's what it's actually gonna be like:

15 miles per day (if you're assuming carts and merchant travel, or an army on the march)

or 25 miles (if you're assuming relatively unloaded young people travelling for no more than a week)

or 20 if you want a useful in-between standard.
>>
>>49978318
What even is this?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.