[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Strike!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 5

File: Strike!.jpg (338KB, 590x764px) Image search: [Google]
Strike!.jpg
338KB, 590x764px
I really like this game, and I just got an updated pdf (https://www.sendspace.com/file/2fuwd4), so thought I'd make a thread.

To be short, it's a game that excels at tactical combat with a gamist bent. It has next to no fluff, so it can be used to cover a wide range of genres, as long as you want fights to happen in there and not sweat the details. Character creation is a breeze, and there's a lot of variety for how short the class section is.

The skill rules are kinda only there to fill space, but they are adequate enough. New material is dripping slowly, so it's still supported. Still requires some mechanical know-how and homebrewing experience, but it's a pretty solid base.

Mechanically, 1d6 based (optionally 2d6) with advantage/disadvantage replacing most modifiers. Skills work a bit like mouseguard / burning wheel (although they also remind me of PbtA), fights are grid based, mostly inspired by 4e.

Oh, also, the book is amateur as shit. First 100~ pages or so are about the skill system, the good stuff comes after.
>>
File: rogue.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
rogue.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Shitty quality Rogue.

Pretty fun class, basically like the 4e thief, but good.
>>
Playtest material, 11 new classes (more like 12, the two headed ogre easily counts as two), 1 new role variant.

Some pretty fun stuff in here.
>>
File: Survival.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Survival.pdf
1B, 486x500px
I wish shillbro was here to try and troll me or something :(

Oh well. Kinda pointless survival expansion.
>>
sounds interesting, but i definitely dont have the time to read it all and comment right now
>>
>>49971969
I'll be up for a while watching Gravity Falls, so any questions you have, go ahead.
>>
>>49970998
I literally just came in here to post "Stop shilling this" in all caps, so know that someone is thinking fondly of you, OP.
>>
sounds interesting, but i definitely dont have the time to read it all and comment right now
>>
>>49972049
wtf? don't know how that posted again, oh well

>>49972003
since combat seems to be the big part of this game, what is it like?

how quickly do characters die/ get removed from combat?
are all the classes viable?
basically, what does a typical combat look/feel like?

never played 4e but always thought it had an interesting tactical side to it
>>
File: classes.png (556KB, 1182x1077px) Image search: [Google]
classes.png
556KB, 1182x1077px
>>49972068
If you have tried any WotC D&D, it's very roughly based on that, but especially 4e.

Characters have turns, they use move/attack/role actions (this last one is the equivalent of swift/minor/bonus actions from D&D). Off turn you may have a reaction. Movement and positioning is important, there's flanking and movement may provoke opportunities (they aren't called opportunity attacks because they hit automatically).

The big difference is having lower numbers (PC hp is 10, damage on an average attack is 2), and no scaling bonuses (no BAB or AC scaling, you don't even get more HP unless you shell out a feat or get it from some other feature).

The big "innovation" is that it took the roles from 4e and split it from the classes. When you make a characte, you pick both Class and Role. You could have a Martial Artist (class) who is a Defender (role) and is best at keeping foes busy, or a Leader, who heals and leads allies while punching enemies in the dick.

Classe/role combinations are pretty balanced, mostly because they all do different stuff (or similar stuff but in different ways) so they don't really compete. Some combinations seem lame or OP at first, but so far there was always a mitigating factor in play. Some party compositions can get a bit crazy, however, especially alpha striking seems to be really strong against "standard" encounters, but it's of course a risky strategy.

Standard combat can go pretty fast, depending on party composition; the above alpha strike team would clean house in a few (like, 1-2) rounds, or die in a few rounds. A more balanced party is going to take about 4-5 turns against a level appropriate enemy group, but a lot depends on factors like cover, concealment and the synergy between enemy abilities.
>>
I wish I could like Strike!, I can see a lot in it to like, but every time I've looked at it it's just felt really shallow.

There are lots and lots of class/role combinations, but none of them are particularly interesting. There isn't much nuance to them, they all work fine and that's... It.

It's streamlined compared to 4e, but it also removes a lot of what I found interesting about 4e, the breadth of options and interesting decisionmaking its tactical combat offered you.

I can see why Strike! would appeal who want a trimmed down experience, but it just seems fundamentally lacking to me, personally.
>>
>>49972340
>There are lots and lots of class/role combinations, but none of them are particularly interesting

Eh, I keep finding non-obvious interactions (found out skirmisher archer | defender sounds like a blast), and whatever I'm missing from 4e I can import easily. Plus, there's the playtest document.

I'd say "I'm not trying to convince you!", but I totally am, sorry.
>>
>>49970062
Ogre needs a way to be played by a single player.
>>
Stop shilling Strike!

Why does /tg/ keep shilling Strike!?
>>
>>49972565
That kinda defeats the purpose.

Buuut as long as you either don't mind 1 player playing 2 characters, or like, nerfing everything to be half as strong, it could work. Or, oh! You need to flip a coin every turn to see who's awake, Eyedol style.
>>
>>49972822
How about alternating between the two instead of flipping a coin?
>>
>>49972822
>Or, oh! You need to flip a coin every turn to see who's awake, Eyedol style.

Actually, let's refine this a bit: You need to the Stalker Role (also in this playtest). You decide which head is defense ans which is offense. When you switch stance, you switch heads. You count as a single character (you only have 1 HP pool and 1 turn/round).

There. That would be pretty complex for a single PC, but it should be balanced.

>>49972699
Dude! You took your sweet time.
>>
>>49972822
Or some way to pick either side's benefit at each upgrade level.
>>
>>49972902
>*need to take the Stalker Role

>>49972908
Would be kinda weird with the passives, and probably result in a hodgepodge. That said, it'd be certainly playable.
>>
Okay, I'm going to sleep now. If, by some miracle, this shit is still up when I wake up, I'll answer every question, stat out every character, and be the biggest shill.
>>
>>49969983
Thief was good for charges.

This Rogue looks like the most damaging class in the game.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.