[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of making a Spelljammer style setting (fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: corpse_of_a_god.png (832KB, 1920x1081px) Image search: [Google]
corpse_of_a_god.png
832KB, 1920x1081px
I'm thinking of making a Spelljammer style setting (fantasy in space), but the "planets" the players will be visiting will be a corpse (or possible corpses) of god(s), floating in the aether.

But I'm having a hard time considering the scale. Should the skull be planet side? Or the teeth? If the teeth are planet sized, what sort of super structure is the head? How big are the rest of the bones in comparison? I don't want hundreds of planets, since I'm not confident in creating enough things to be interesting.

Any ideas, /tg/?
>>
File: pvwkr1xcwkjzepdcbcqa.jpg (145KB, 800x519px) Image search: [Google]
pvwkr1xcwkjzepdcbcqa.jpg
145KB, 800x519px
>>49965209
I'd have the Gods be long-dead, their bodies hard enough that they've been hollowed out, themselves little more than a rigid container in the shape of a living being.

I wouldn't have them too large. I'd say the eye sockets or mouth should be about the same size as a space-port's main hangar bay? Still utterly colossal, but nowhere near Planet sized. Once you get too large, the fact you're walking around the corpse of a God kind of loses its meaning.
That you're walking down the path of it's removed "optic nerve" to get to the main trading hall is a lot more impressive than "oh fabled adventurers, you must quest to the left foot", or "the dark creature has carved its lair deep within the jungles of his right armpit".
>>
>>49965209
Have each "planet" be completely different with regards to scale. Play with it a bit. Hell, nest them in layers like having the whole body of one also be the thumb of another.

Also, this is what the Astral Plane in DnD's Planescape setting is like. The Athar (the faction of god-haters) set up outposts and shit on the bodies of dead gods to study them. Although good luck finding any material on that out there nowadays.

Basically, don't tie yourself to one scale- mess with it.
>>
>>49965209

Ymir is dead. He was slain an aeon ago, by the god of Time. Thus, all must be slain by Time.

Whatever shape Ymir once had, it is unlike any beast I have ever seen.

The system Primary is known as the Eye of Ymir. It burns with a red light, so very unlike Krynnspace. The inside of the Crystal Sphere is littered with small bones that may have formed fingers, or knuckles, or some other tiny joint. From the orbit of the "planets", they appear as stars, albeit glowing with a sickly off-white.

The planets themselves? The first body, known as the Skull of Ymir, is exactly that. A hideous superstructure of spikes, protrusions, eye sockets fortified by the occupants. Ships enter the harbour of the Skull of Ymir through the open passage of His ancient bestial nasal cavity, sailing up to the docks. Balefire torches burn green along the darkness, to guide ships home. Through the docks and the administration/warehouse district, steps lead up to the safest city in the entire Sphere; Cerebrus. Cerebrus is constructed from materials traded for in other systems or salvaged from wrecks that couldn't make a Sphere Portal in time, a glorious city of upcycled ship parts and random junk. The city is run by a council of shipping guilds, and offers several amenities; an apothecary, a small healers guild, several appraisers, "shrine row" for the faithful, and the most notorious drinking hole in 3 spheres, The Shattered Hull. Don't ask the Beholder bartender about his eyepatch. Law and Order is administered by an ancient Lawful Evil Lich, who is not above organising work contracts involving the corpses of dead crew members to pay off outstanding debts. Rumours speak of other, hidden guilds, but who can say?

The second body is a belt. Of teeth. Some of them are as large as the Rock of Bral with forests and strange creatures, some are just large enough to create gravity and atmosphere, sustaining mosses and lychens. Perfect place to hide a treasure hoard...
>>
>>49965445
The third body is Kardia, a massive giant of a body. The top layer of atmosphere is covered with dark clouds that illuminate in sheets with green lightning. When the sheet begins, a blast of green energy escapes into space, but there's a metallic taste to the air if your ship is close to another sparking point, giving you some time to evade. I pity new folk, though. There is a belt surround Kardia of ruined ships that took a fatal blast trying to land, some of them truly bizarre and ancient. Anyone landing on Kardia finds a world dominated by two major landmasses - the vast grassy plains of Darr-ee, containing all that remains of the Darr Civilization. Some speculate they somehow set off the lightning, long ago. The tribes of centaur that dwell nearby cannot say. The other landmass is an arctic archipelego at the planet's south pole, by lodestone reckoning. The Ice Elves there rarely see visitors, and do not seem particularly welcoming, but at least are cordial.

The fourth body spins counterclockwise around the Primary, the opposite to the first 3, for reasons no-one can discern. Reniba, the strange jelly-bean shaped planet, is a desert of sand the colour of plum wine. Strange, unpredictable sandstorms whip up with howling air elementals at their head, uncovering lost temples of another age. Reniba itself is roughly the size of Faerun from pole to pole, but the shape of it and it's strange motion through space creates unpredictable lengths of day and night, with the sun tracing different paths across the sky each day. Still, the atmosphere is breathable, freshened by the elementals.

The fifth and final body before the vast distance to the sphere is a large blue cloud, known as The Breath. Legend says it is the last Breath Ymir released as He was slain, hanging forever in the void. Ships that go near it have a habit of disappearing, but why? Pirates hiding in it? The Breath itself does something to a ship or it's atmosphere? Is the Breath alive?
>>
File: Ksbd_the_void.png (2MB, 1400x908px) Image search: [Google]
Ksbd_the_void.png
2MB, 1400x908px
>>49965259
Goddamn I fucking love K6BD and I'm totally gonna base the god(s) on those in Throne.

>>49965430
I like this idea, keeping with the poster above, I think having smaller gods, who's chest cavity is the hanger-bay instead of the eye socket, or is the size of a tooth. And having them be part of bigger gods is dope as well. I've always been fascinated by the idea of gods who are literally made up of other gods, so I can groove with it.

>>49965445
>>49965618
Cool! Are you making this up or copying it from somewhere? Because this is excellent.
>>
>>49965445
>>49965618

The Eye of Ymir is a ball of pure fire, burning red, even out here. There was a story some years ago of a powerful Archmage who flew through from Realmspace to Krynnspace, that was prone to boasting about his theory that there were portals on the Star that led to other planes, just as the Crystal Sphere portals led from the Phlogiston to here. He claimed to have proven it in other Spheres, so he did what no soul has ever been foolhardy enough to attempt, he flew down to the surface of The Eye. He never made it back, his ship was found drifting in the void three weeks later with a note. It simply said, "Beware The Red Queen".

All that is left to report is that the portals opening and closing on the Crystal Sphere seem far more predictable than other Spheres I have been to. It seems that when The Breath lines up with another body, a portal opens along that line on both sides of the Sphere. Predicting whether it is about to close from the outside, however, is not so easy....

(have fun)
>>
>>49965663
Yeah, I was just making it up off the top of my head. I loved Spelljammer back in the day, and I'll personally do anything I can to support other people playing it.
>>
>>49965702
>>49965724
Awesome! Thank you very much!
>>
>>49965737
You're welcome. Next time you're on the Rock of Bral, you can buy me a pint ! ;)
>>
>>49965209
Hearts seem okay, or just have heads/torsos as planets, with hearts and lungs as objects orbiting the planet
>>
I'll probably skip on crystal spheres and just make an expensive warp drive kind of thing to travel between different corpse-systems. I've never liked how crystal spheres worked, at least with the portal system".

Probably gonna have religions be more on the philosophical side, like planescape. Gives me a good opportunity to have "murder-nihilists" be a thing. or at least believers in "try and kill anything, killing it means it was too weak to exist and if you die it means you're too weak to exist."
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.