[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make my game cyberpunk as fuck? Not post-cyberpunk crap,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 229
Thread images: 33

File: W9T6JGn.jpg (396KB, 1280x1256px) Image search: [Google]
W9T6JGn.jpg
396KB, 1280x1256px
How do I make my game cyberpunk as fuck? Not post-cyberpunk crap, I want that good 90s shit.
>>
>>49960951
Start with the right music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9I_7eJxtZc
>>
>>49960951

read the setting and writing style for the Cyberpunk 2020 books. that was that good 90's shit and a lot of it doesn't translate well but you can definitely feel the vibe from it and see how you wanna approach what they do.
>>
>>49960951
90s cyberpunk IS post-cyberpunk what are you even on about.
>>
>>49961180
But anon shadowrun came out in the 90's :^)
>>
>>49961026
add this my ninja

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvrdtlyUXPg
>>
>>49960951
cyberpunk as fuck = quick chargen, high lethality games
get the cpunk 2020 core
get one of the cpunk 2020 scenario anthologies
presto
>cyberpunk as fuck

>>49961026
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i70zFUh5ugA
>>
>>49962625
>Discharge

Mah Nigga
>>
I sympathize with this, op. Proceed as follows:

1. Realize 'real' cyberpunk of the 90s is an idea born in the 80s.
2. Abandon anything and all things shadowrun.
3. Abandon mythical elements, fantasy tropes in total.
4. Read the classics, start with Gibson.
5. Compare as to how ppl tried to model their conceptions of 'cyberpunk' in various rpgs, computer games, books and so on. Try to filter out what's left at the core and build up on that.
>>
File: i7lw0yadeoulbdg9cpvq.jpg (66KB, 800x462px) Image search: [Google]
i7lw0yadeoulbdg9cpvq.jpg
66KB, 800x462px
>>49960951
Cyberpunk 2020 and Underground are your best options. Cyberpunk 2020 offers the advantage of having a better system.

Here are some ideas for the style:
>Cellphones are expensive as fuck, but they have super advanced functions like an internal memory for 20 phone numbers or a voice mail function.
>Fax machines are the main mean of communication (emails are totally overrated).
>LED and holograms billboards are extremely high-tech and expensive, neons are used most of the time (ex. Kowloon).
>Spandex, leather jackets, trench coats, overalls, sunglasses, chromed studs, big hair or mohawks, face paint, boots are all super hot.
>Cyberware is either extremely high-tech and slick (Chiba gear), or is outdated and bulky (old milsurp, Soviet stuff).
>Flat TV's and monitors? Forget it - bulky CRT is standard.
>Technology is everywhere - electric cables dangle from the ceiling, the walls are covered with tubes and control switches (no one knows what they are for but they surely look cool).
>Printers and fax machines use continuous form paper (the one with the punched sides).
>Ammunition can be purchased in vending machines (next to the vending machine for canned vodka, cheesburger flavored nutrisoya, and syringes).
>The best hackers must be 14 to 15yo kids. Adults are too slow for the matrix.
>Good guns would be: H&K VP70 and P9, Mateba revolver, Claridge Hi-Tech, Desert Eagle, Beretta M93R, H&K SP89, Intratech Tech-9, Ingram MAC-10 and MAC-11, Uzi (used by rebels and criminals), Calico 950, Ruger Mini-14 bullpup conversion, Steyr AUG, FAMAS, AK-47 and M16A1 (used by rebels and criminals), Valtro PM-9, Franchi SPAS-12, Mossberg 500 bullpup conversion

Some possible sources of inspirations: Robocop I & II, Total Recall, Nemesis, Cyborg 2, Slipstream, Hardware, Pinocchio 964, Akira, American Cyborg, A.D. Police Files, Freejack, Blade Runner, Cybernator, Running Man, Shadowchaser
>>
For the music I recommend Synthwave artists like Perturbator, Carpenter Brut, VHS Glitch, Tokyo Rose, Megadrive, Power Glove, Noir Deco
>>
>>49963971

Or you just choose to listen to some cyberpunk music like Front 242 instead.
>>
>>49964016
Or Ministry, Skinny Puppy, and Front Line Assembly.
>>
File: alecempireWEB-195x300.jpg (21KB, 195x300px) Image search: [Google]
alecempireWEB-195x300.jpg
21KB, 195x300px
>>49964016
Front 242 is old-school EBM
>>49963971
>>49964016
>>49964070
Or you just choose digital hardcore
>>
>>49960951

Poverty and drugs everywhere.
>>
>>49964081
Or Japanoise like Merzbow or Violent Onsen Geisha.
>>
Trying to post cyberpunk music without mentioning KMFDM or Sigue Sigue Sputnik. Are we even trying?
>>
Try findin a more cyberpunk artist than Hanatarash (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanatarash).

Protip: You can't.
>>
>>49963644
>how to not by cyberpunk as fuck

in other news:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=athjskaqAQk
>>
>>49964365
This intro was badass as fuck. Thanks for posting it.
>>
File: 1471008693036.jpg (26KB, 433x380px) Image search: [Google]
1471008693036.jpg
26KB, 433x380px
>>49960951
>Cyberpunk
>90s
>>
>>49964365

Don't get what you're trying to say, friend.
>>
>>49963644
I'd say fantasy elements can work just fine in Cyberpunk contexts, take a gander at Cybernetics Guardian, that anime is very cyberpunk and yet has a lot of fantasy elements to it(although one could argue that the supernatural elements are merely Psychic phenomenon with a mystical coating)

also it has a kickass soundtrack courtesy of the 80's J-Metal band Trash Gang;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IacgoGWOi5M
>>
>>49964501

I do not know that anime you're referring to, so I cannot argue competently concerning this input. My 'guide' was meant to be a quick and dirty way imagining/developing a cyberpunk setting/world without trying what usually goes horribly wrong: incorporating fantasy elements or standards into a scifi-setting with a heavy cyberpunk tone. (Because normally this produces embarrassing abominations like shadowrun and the like.)
>>
>>49964501
If by fantasy you mean ghosts, demons or psychic powers, then it's ok. If you mean hobbits, dragons and cockatrix, then you're wrong.
>>
>>49964581

It's the other way around, anon. You could try to play with ideas like ghosts-in-the-net, psionic powers developing from highly advanced technological influences on biology of men, even undeads in the sense of a humans unnaturally being kept alive by harmful sinister technology. This all is because there is a conceptual bridge which leads from dark+gritty together with high tech/low life to the mentioned ideas. No bridge leads from there to hobbits, dragons or magic.
>>
>>49964647
I dunno, I'd say a Dragon could work in a cyberpunk context, although less like how Shadowrun handled them, and more like an actual monster, an extremely deadly predator forged from flesh and steel by some immoral laboratory that's been let loose on the streets to showcase it's abilities to potential buyers
>>
>>49964647
Maybe I didn't express myself clearly. Darkness, ghosts, flickering lights, psychic powers, and demons can be incorporated pretty well in a cyberpunk setting. Gnomes, hobbits, owlbears and dragons on the other hand will universally suck in a cyberpunk setting (best example is SR).
>>
>>49964740

We are on the same side then. Well, to be clear: I believe it can be done, but this nonetheless makes results in a very special kind of cyberpunk setting I hardly would call the industry standard.
>>
>>49964740
I disagree about Dragons not being able to work, but that's if you avoid sapient Dragons like Shadowrun

heck look at Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, the titular Blood Dragons are pretty much how I'd see dragons fitting into a Cyberpunk setting
>>
>>49964784
Those combinations are mostly found in Japanese cyberpunk fiction:

Cyberpunk with ghosts: Cyber City Oedo 808
Cyberpunk with demons: Twilight of the Dark Master, Cyber City Oedo 808
Cyberpunk with psychic powers: Akira, Cyber City Oedo 808, Angel Cop
Cyberpunk with general weird stuff: Tetsuo, 964 Pinocchio, Serial Experiments Lain
>>
ITT: Style over substance suggestions.

The core of Cyberpunk is its dystopia of unscrupulous corporations bending the world to their will. Cyberpunk is a genre that sprung forth from mounting environmental crises, corporatism replacing colonialism and imperialism, and the fear of new technology immediately being put to use to control the masses.

Cyberpunk means working stiffs cutting off their arms to get a prosthesis (on lease) that will net them a 5% raise. Cyberpunk is a world that passes on the costs to you in order to line the coffers of InterCorp X. A world where the middle class has been largely phased out in favour of increased means of coercion and ownership of the individual. You can present that shit in any light you want, as long as it's there.

And the characters are punks. Not heroes. They can't really change any of this shit, just escape from it. If they do shit right. Honestly, idealistic wish fulfillment cyberpunk makes me puke and defeats the entire purpose of the genre. if the players defeat the megacorp, rescue the girl or guy, and retire peacefully, it's not Cyberpunk.
>>
>>49964853
Far Cry isn't 1990's cyberpunk. It's a parody of how people from the 2010's imagined 1980's cyberpunk and action flicks to be. It shares about as many things in common with classic cyberpunk fiction as Monty Python's Life of Brian shares with the ancient Palestine/Judea.
>>
>>49964901
and they tend to be more interesting than a lot of western Cyberpunk stuff(too much of it leans into the nitty gritty depressing aspects and end up not being enjoyable at all)

>>49964912
>And the characters are punks. Not heroes. They can't really change any of this shit, just escape from it. If they do shit right. Honestly, idealistic wish fulfillment cyberpunk makes me puke and defeats the entire purpose of the genre. if the players defeat the megacorp, rescue the girl or guy, and retire peacefully, it's not Cyberpunk.
don't really see the point of doing Cyberpunk in an interactive fiction context(whether /v/ or /tg/ related) when you put it like that, makes it feel pointless in that context

but then I'll admit my interest in Cyberpunk is like 99% from a aesthetics aspect
>>
>>49964938
eh most classic Cyberpunk fiction would be terrible in an RPG context, it's telling that CP 2020 and Shadowrun, the two most popular /tg/ CP settings are ones that go for more fun and less serious concepts
>>
>>49964949
The point is that Cyberpunk is a dystopic genre, and it immediately stops being a dystopic genre when the characters lift the veil of that dystopia.

Fixing everything wrong in the world is wish fulfillment. What you want is a more personal story. Someone wiping out their debt, so they are no longer pursued by corporate cyberninjas. Someone getting revenge on that middle management prick who demoted him down to wage slave class. Or just gathering enough money to move out of the ghetto and never have to do your shopping with a machine pistol in your pocket anymore.

The triumphs in stories like this tend to be small and personal. Have you ever seen Brazil? Because that's what tends to happen to idealists in way over their heads. I suppose some of these desires stem from the people who fashioned themselves "punks" in the 80's, chaining themselves to fences or getting into fights with skinheads, never realizing they were sanctioned by the system from the very start.

And that honestly might be a cool theme for a Cyberpunk campaign. Who's a sanctioned punk, and who's a real one?
>>
>>49964968
They're also the two halfway decent systems available.
>>
>>49964912
>Cyberpunk means working stiffs cutting off their arms to get a prosthesis (on lease) that will net them a 5% raise.

Is Borderlands cyberpunk?
>>
>>49962625

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCTBTORXPeM

in crust we grind
>>
>>49965008
I'm not saying fix everything(as even in more idealistic contexts that's an impossibility), just that larger scale victories are possible

of course part of this comes down to how broad or narrow one's personal definition of Cyberpunk is, and mine is pretty broad
>>
>>49964081
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plAr3adKbyc
meh meng
>>
>>49965035
Borderlands has some Cyberpunk elements.

>>49965042
But what would a large scale victory be? Cyberpunk settings tend to be defined by how all-encompassing the setting is. It's a social commentary genre. I'd say a victory in Cyberpunk would be like in RoboCop. The corrupt person who wronged you (Ronnie Cox, also played Cohaagen in Total Recall, and Captain Jellico in TNG) is dealt with, and the corporation's power is retained by the CEO who is somewhat less shit. But Murphy is still a dystopian cyborg with no connection to his past, and Detroit is still owned by OCP. As is RoboCop. It's a downer ending with a small, personal triumph. But the grind goes on.
>>
>>49964488
punks don't do elaborate prep work. they just wing the fuck out of a game. and cyberpunk is whatever the fuck you say it is.
>>
>>49965131
Nah. Think Blade Runner - Deckard can't bring down a Megacorp like Tyrell, even though they're responsible for all this bullshit in the first place. Deckard "wins" by managing to escape the city with a Replicant he feels love for, even if she's not entirely real. In the original cinematic version, this means getting the girl and doing a runner with her. In the Director's Cut, there is the direct implication that Deckard is a Replicant himself, so being the last man standing and escaping with the girl becomes even more significant.

If OP really wants to get the 90's cyberpunk vibe, there is really only one visual reference.

You know it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9V7rz2Dg7g
>>
>>49961337
Shadowrun has as much to do with cyberpunk as it has with Dungeons and Dragons.

>>49965244
Please kill yourselfs. Idiots like you scare me
>>
File: darkconspiracy4.png (697KB, 677x816px) Image search: [Google]
darkconspiracy4.png
697KB, 677x816px
>>49964784
>>49964901
Dark motherfucking Conspiracy
>>
>>49965276
i prefer continuing to bring more fear and misery into your life though. for example by pissing on what you think cyberpunk is and/or should be.
>>
ITT: Millenials trying to be retro

Have any of you ever saw Back to the future 2? Rembember the bar scene, with the bar desperately trying to be all about 80s and failing miserably?
You are doing the same right now.

First of all, stop playing Shadowrun. That's the easiest way to getting into cyberpunk. Dunno, try CP2020 or 3rd ed GURPS supplements for Cybrpunk. Pick example scenario from them. Play them AS THEY ARE.
If they don't suit you, you don't want to play cyberpunk, you want to play theme park version, which is Shadowrun.

It wil never cease to amaze me how this is the only cyberpunk game still around, and mostly because it caters to D&D crowd, while getting less and less cyberpunk with each ed.
>>
>>49965276
So, quite a bit of imitation and a desire to cash in on that gaming crowd?
>>
>>49965291
Mate, I'm in my mid 30s. I've experienced cyberpunk hype first hand as a teen.
So please, tell me more how I'm imaginging what cyberpunk is, because some millenial played latest edition of Shadowrun once or twice and will now preach about it.
>>
>>49965323
Shadowrun, back when it started, was literally D&D with hottest shit around. And that shit happend to be tail-end of cyberpunk craze.
Over the years, with each edition, more and more cyberpunk elements were cut, until it became Heist Job: The Fantasy RPG.
Having cyborgs, MegaCorps and seedy underworld doesn't make you cyberpunk.
But it does score points for being cheap imitation, that's for sure.
>>
>>49960951
Play Beneath a Steel Sky.

>>49965131
Would revealing PetroChem's unsafe relocation of a whole bunch of toxic waste to the world at the end of the CP2020 scenario Camping Out count as a large-scale victory?
>>
>>49965257
I never really figured how Blade Runner became the epitome of Cyberpunk influence. The book it's based on has zero Cyberpunk themes. It's quintessentially Dickian in that it deals with the nature of reality and empathy. The replicants aren't robots. They're biological constructs, virtually identical to human beings, hence the need for the tests.

Deckard also spurns the replicant girl, and goes back to his shitty wife and life, and she only shows up to toss his fake sheep off the roof, which is the thing he needed to hunt those replicants down to pay for, in order to keep up social appearances.

And then there's the whole deal with Mercerism, a religion based on artificial empathy with its prophet, of whom no-one really knows who he is.
>>
>>49965308
>>49965325
Christ, you're a piece of work. Drop the edge, loser.
>>
>>49965325
>some millenial played latest edition of Shadowrun once or twice and will now preach about it
fine with me and i am in my 40s. there is no cpunk authority, william gibson can kiss my ass. if some bold, uneducated kid wants to grab the whole genre by its jugular and bend it to its will, it has my blessing. go rape cyberpunk, rape it as hard as you can.
>>
>>49965348
>Having cyborgs, MegaCorps and seedy underworld doesn't make you cyberpunk.
and what if I claim that this makes a setting cyberpunk and that your definition of cyberpunk is shit?
>>
>>49965437
>I never really figured how Blade Runner became the epitome of Cyberpunk influence.
neon lights and a lack of other, good cyberpunkish movies
>>
>>49965437
>I never really figured how Blade Runner became the epitome of Cyberpunk influence.
Aesthetics
>>
>>49965530
The irony of this post is how this attitude basically killed CP by mid 90s
>>
>>49965542
But anon, there is no "my definition". There is a dictionary one.
What is this? 1984? And you are Big Brother, declaring what's right and what's wrong today?
>>
>>49965657
good

>>49965672
oh, appealing to dictionaries now?
>>Having cyborgs, MegaCorps and seedy underworld doesn't make you cyberpunk.
>stories about future societies that are controlled by computer technology
close enough
>>
>>49965530
>go rape cyberpunk, rape it as hard as you can.
So edgy.
>>
File: Trolololo.png (449KB, 584x912px) Image search: [Google]
Trolololo.png
449KB, 584x912px
Oh my god! They don't know what they have started.
>>
>>49965913
oh, you have a word for it? good.
>>
File: metropole rio.png (2MB, 1863x866px) Image search: [Google]
metropole rio.png
2MB, 1863x866px
>>49966021
Seems to be a Law of Online Forums: you know when a cyberpunk thread has turned to 100% shit when everybody is arguing about the definition of cyberpunk & what is/isn't cyberpunk.

Post some cyberpunk maps, assholes.
>>
>>49966457
Did you just wake up from you nap, grampa?
>>
>>49965747
>Having Object A, B and C means they are in control
Flafless logic. Maybe you will now start the meme how we are living cyberpunk now?
>>
>>49966497
>cyberpunk maps
Is that even a thing?

I mean any fucking metropolitan map can do, really. Just rename districts into number. Or give them names if you are French.
>>
File: !san francisco.jpg (698KB, 1240x1756px) Image search: [Google]
!san francisco.jpg
698KB, 1240x1756px
>>49966525
Futuristic-looking maps of any kind, with neon linework and shit. Or stylized extrusions, that kind of stuff.
>>
File: 317.png (90KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
317.png
90KB, 500x501px
>>49966021
I think he's more than aware what he started. Shame so many people fall for this.

Anyway, back to the topic:
How do you get your settings running, so there is always a medic to patch up your characters? Normally in similar game, but with regular modern world, that would be just back-alley doctor. How do you pull this in cyberpunk? I mean it's hard to have a back-alley doctor that makes a transplant for a kidney after you've got your own splattered all over the abdomen area.
>>
File: h2_efny_glider_nose_views.jpg (430KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
h2_efny_glider_nose_views.jpg
430KB, 1920x1080px
>>
Anyone here visit the Cyberpunk Forums?

http://www.cyberpunkforums.com/

Not shilling, I'm just a lurker there and it's a slow site but has some occasional links to new media I'd never heard of.
>>
File: ISS006-E-36913.jpg (90KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
ISS006-E-36913.jpg
90KB, 540x540px
>>49966549
Corrupt hospital and clinic officials/doctors/nurses, I would imagine. Corruption is much higher in cyberpunk worlds, where even a doctor may be a wage-slave to some corporation. Look at how many doctors patch up narcos in Mexico. Threats work too.

And I would think in a cyberpunk world where they can make supermen with full body conversions growing a new custom kidney would be a mere few hours work.
>>
>>49966571
I've lurk there too. Too much "MUH RETRO" for my taste.
It's funny how cyberpunk originally was over-the-top concept for a setting, but due to nostalgia factor and being mostly period related, it was recently cranked up beyond the scale with being EIGHTIES! and CLICHES! and ABSURDIDY!
Kind of how Fallout now is so over-the-top about 50s, while originally it was barely there.
>>
>>49965406
What a cyberpunk setting would do with that is show the apathy people have been fed. Revealing that is a victory only in as far as the people who do it get people to notice and care about it.

In cyberpunk, the corps turn it around somehow and you're left with a bad taste in your mouth.
>>
>>49966596
I'm more concerned about infrastructure required for that. So there is no big deal having a shop selling advanced prosthetics on each corner, but they are manufactured by some huge-ass factory on Moon or China or downtown Detroit, but those people are simply distributors of high-end supplier.

Original CP2020 had this problem with Trauma, which was basically a huge corporation that is somehow very eager to patch up messed up punks, solos and people that they could as easily set up for profit bigger than what they make via treatment.
>>
>>49966634
This.

The entire point of cyberpunk is how your fight against The Man is lost before you even start, but at least you can show your own personal defiance instead being just another sheep in the crowd.
So your achievements are meaningless to the world and at best inconvinient for some corp, but that's all.

Having an impact is one of the core elements of post-cyberpunk, where world is no longer completely and utterly FUBAR
>>
>>49966635
The assumption is that everyone has local 3D-manufacturing/fabricator capability for making almost everything short of nukes. Illegally, of course, but it's there.

Plus there's always a black market for wanted high-end parts and machinery. Ever wonder how Islamic terrorists get their hands on US SCAR rifles or SA-6 missiles? Same thing.

A wounded punk will pay through the nose for emergency treatment. That money is used to bribe middle men, even in megacorporations, and goes all the way to the supplier, many of whom are only too happy to make some side money. Look at all the counterfeiting shit that goes on in Chinese factories.
>>
>>49966635
Trauma Team International doesn't patch up people. They come to get dying customers, cryo them, and deliver them to the nearest hospital who will do the patching and healing. And you better be flush because the hospital is unlikely to do anything until you or someone else can show them a debit card with a good balance or a corporate healthcare program card.
>>
>>49966771
Which brings us back to the point - who does the patching?
>>
>>49966825
See >>49966596
>>
>>49966825
Who does the patching mainly depends on who the characters are.

If they are poor gutterpunks, unless they have a medic in their team, they're going to die. If they are very lucky, they have a meditech who owns them a favor and might patch them up, this one time for free.

One the other hand, if the characters are elite corporate agents, they benefit from medevac and the corporation's own medical emergency facilities.

In between, you have the professional street ops who know the right people who can patch them up without alerting the cops. These will most likely be ripper docs operating underground clinics in the slum. They could also be corrupt doctors working in a hospital and not declaring gunshot wounds against payment.
>>
>>49966514
at least read the quote in context, faggot: >>49965348
the claim was made that shadowrun isn't cyberpunk anymore
last time i checked SR's setting was still a world controlled by computer technology.

>>49966549
body clinics/chop shops are ubiquitous, especially in the barrens
>>
>>49966825
you know realize that due to the prevalence of cyberware, there is a higher demand for cyberdoctors, which means there are more doctors (or body modification franchises) than today

check out the storefront at 0:43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvVjkqB3LH0
>>
>>49960951

Well the way I see it Cyberpunk is composed of Cyber- eg, tech, networks, a connected world - and Punk, eg, the rebels, the miscreants, the criminals with hearts of gold, the ones sticking it to the man; especially since the man now watches everything, controls everything, deals with the lives of the poor like cards or dice in board rooms or government offices.

There's a general feel of tech having shat on everyone but the rich and their suckers. Eg, consider this - right now we have the capability to depose millions of truck drivers, their families, and the service jobs around them from pit-stop and gas station workers to cooks and waiters at the greasy spoon every other town, the whores and the suppliers of that thing the driver forgot all with self driving cargo trucks. Millions unemployed - thousands of settlements becoming ghost towns - all in a blink of an eye. And the government let it happen because they're in the corporate pocket which wants more efficiency and greater profit, workers be damned.

Now take a group of truckers or lot lizards or whatever in between - a trucker, a lot lizard, a cook, a small time merchant, all fucked over, working together to survive, some slipping into the underworld of crime which is flourishing in lieu of proper employment, and then they get the capability to, oh, I don't know, hack into a cargo cavaran, steal its shit or cause a major fuck up (either in the city running over the financial sector, or if they're more benign throwing them off a cliff in the middle of nowhere) just to stick it to the man or give them a warning that their tech, with the removal of a human touch, is much more fragile than it first appears.

That, I figure, is in the vein of cyberpunk. Not post cyberpunk, not solarpunk or dronepunk or whatever fuckingpunk, just good old cyberpunk.
>>
>>49961026
>Not post-cyberpunk crap, I want that good 90s shit.
>posts nu synthwave arpeggiocore
>>
The Earth is in grave trouble, Eliza
>>
>>49967426
Good point. Seems that 2/3rds of the people in Cyberpunk 2020 are cybered to some extent, whether functionally or cosmetically.

Cyber clinics and chop-shops would be as common as low-grade car garages and mechanics are today. Maybe even as common as McDonald's.
>>
File: dex dr niles clinic.png (3MB, 2096x1086px) Image search: [Google]
dex dr niles clinic.png
3MB, 2096x1086px
AIs+robotics have put a lot of doctors and nurses out of work, so they work in the gray or black market.
>>
>old fa/tg/uys having a hipster argument about who is more punk

loling out loud
>>
File: hhquKZ2[1].gif (887KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
hhquKZ2[1].gif
887KB, 500x281px
>>49969271
>Decker
>>
>>49965672
>prescriptivism
Fuck right off to the moon, you.
>>
>>49969950
Punk died years before Green Day raped its corpse.
>>
>>49967701
Speaking of it all, I always wonder how the fuck any cyberpunk setting that runs for more than two decades simply doesn't collapse completely.
I mean most of them make absolutely no sense, economy-wise. They are a modern equivalent of mercantilism - the harder you think about it, the more you realise it makes no fucking sense and is counter-productive. In the iconic works of the genre, at least that's somewhat adressed, but most of cyberpunk is either a cheap copy of Gibson or just lolsrandom with cybernetics... but somehow doesn't collapse from within.

Think about this. One of the most common cliches about cyberpunk settings (and by extension - biopunk):
MegaCorp Evil Inc. produced a disease for which they have a cure. Or just got a cure for some superplague. Instead of selling it to everyone for reasonable price, but due to huge-ass population, making sweet profit, they withhold the cure or even a relief pill fighting only simptoms or sell it for absurd price only to the richest... how is that making profit at all, if the main goal is to show them as greedy bastards?

Seriously, my biggest beef to cyberpunk usually boils down to how those settings don't make much sense internally and if the emphasis instead is on "coolness", it quickly turns to another Johnny Mnemonic.
For this reason, I just can't play Shadowrun, because it ends up with me getting angry at the setting and there is no other cyberpunk game around
>>
>>49973101
>They are a modern equivalent of mercantilism
back to your rocking chair, krugman
>>
>>49973101
honestly this is why I'd heavily downplay the "all controlling Megacorps" aspects of any Cyberpunk setting I'd use or make(they'd still be around and be important, but they aren't invincible or able to do anything they want without worrying about the consequences), or indeed a lot of the overly cynical concepts that are overused in the genre, really I'd basically treat it as the real world, just with a different tech level, and slightly different cultural priorities
>>
>>49960951
Watch Blade Runner and Bubblegum Crisis 2033 and copy profusely.
>>
>>49973101
>there is no other cyberpunk game around

Blue Planet, Nigga. Also a cyberpunk game that I think does the themes of cberpunk best
>>
>>49967897
>fuck off /mu/
>>
>ITT: No-one remembers Cybergeneration:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cybergeneration
>>
File: Shadowalk.jpg (40KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Shadowalk.jpg
40KB, 300x300px
>>49965308
>No! Stop enjoying that!
>You're having the wrong kind of fun!
>That's not REAL cyberpunk!
>"This tabletop about cybernetically enhanced criminals fighting against / stealing from Megacorporations isn't cyberpunk because there are elves and magic!"

Maybe Shadowrun endured because it's fun to play or something.
>>
>>49974726
>Shadowrun
>Fun
Not him, but still pick one
>>
>>49973101
>>49973401
This is how post-cyberpunk was born, mate - authors themselves realised this shit is too over the top.
>>
>>49974726
Or maybe because it could use the same crowd that considers 3.X as the apex of tabletop games?
>>
File: 1376587044192.jpg (136KB, 600x840px) Image search: [Google]
1376587044192.jpg
136KB, 600x840px
>itt motherfraggers comparing SR to DND
nigga just because it has elves and dragons doesn't mean it's DND. SR doesn't even remotely play like DND and your standard 3.xfag's head would explode upon exposure to SR mechanics.
>>
>>49975788
>He wasn't around the first edition
Why Shadowrun crowd is triggered so hard about their games being concieved and created as a way to cash in on D&D crowd? I mean everyone knows why the game was created with fantasy races and magic thrown in into then-superhot cyberpunk setting - then why being in denial?
>>
>>49963857
Your post made me wet
>>
>>49975415
>authors themselves realised this shit is too over the top
I actually like over the top stuff in my cyberpunk, but for the fun aspects, not the grim parts like a lot of people focus on
>>
>>49967701

There's two sides to the punk coin though; Neo-Nazis, honest to god Anarchists and Fedoralords that seek to use their compatriots as a platform to become something far, far worse than the corporations they'd replace - they're rallying mobs with pitchforks and torches intent on doing their own March on Rome, and the corporations are counting on that, using them as the main scapegoat towards justifying their draconian policies. The punk is in a tough position, as he can't trust the government, he certainly can't trust the corps: he can't even trust his allies. But somehow, he's going to make amends and try to set things right, because he'd rather risk everything than keep everything on the track it is.
>>
>>49973101

The government is actually paying the corps to uphold the cure and continue the plague as a form of population control and seizing the assets of the people said plague kills. BAM - instant justificiation.
>>
>>49964968
I mean, to be fair, a real CP RPG would be call of cathulhu with some modded mechanics. Even the best aren't up to corp cyber assassins, and they succeed with small covert attacks. Inevitably they run into some conspiracy to big for them, and try to solve it before something nasty destroys humanity.

Holy shit, I think that may be the answer. One of my biggest disconnects with traditional CP RPG settings is I feel CP as a horror genre. Underdogs piss off something big and try not to die before defeating it. I guess Terminator imprinted on me, I dunno.
>>
>>49975384
How else can I get my rocks off if I'm not throwing 15+ dice every roll?
>>
>>49976619
... which makes even less sense, you idiot
>>
>>49976619
So, the government is willing to pay the corporation MORE MONEY then the entire population suffering from the plague, and the assets seized more then offset the massive amount of money it takes to pay off the corp.

This is the basic problem of making up reasons for corps to fuck the population. Economics are hard, so writers go for really simple stupid shit. Corps should be scary the same way an industrial press is scary. If you get in the way of its function, it crushes you. it won't go out of its way to crush you, but it won't stop.

A new fuel additive increase efficiency by 10%, but also is fairly toxic when the fumes are breathed regularly. The corp has figured this out, and wants to keep the massive profits so they quash the story.
>>
>>49977291
>A new fuel additive increase efficiency by 10%, but also is fairly toxic when the fumes are breathed regularly. The corp has figured this out, and wants to keep the massive profits so they quash the story.
Not sure if you did this intentionally, but that's basically how lead additives in petrol happend IRL
>>
>>49975873
people can like a crossover of fantasy and cyberpunk independently of d&d
>>
>>49977291
>muh realism
dropped
>>
File: i-bzXnzMc-2100x20000.jpg (483KB, 2100x1052px) Image search: [Google]
i-bzXnzMc-2100x20000.jpg
483KB, 2100x1052px
>>49960951
Drugs
>>
>>49973101
>Speaking of it all, I always wonder how the fuck any cyberpunk setting that runs for more than two decades simply doesn't collapse completely.

Because the bulk of the economy, power, and tech isn't down in the gutter where the street-rats run in the shadows. The bulk of humanity might be poor dregs and a burden to the elite, but the important parts of society, the parts that keep the lights on, they work for and get suported by the corporations.

Why do you think mercantilism would collapse? I mean, the British empire did pretty alright for a while.

>MegaCorp Evil Inc. produced a disease for which they have a cure. Or just got a cure for some superplague. Instead of selling it to everyone for reasonable price, but due to huge-ass population, making sweet profit, they withhold the cure or even a relief pill fighting only simptoms or sell it for absurd price only to the richest... how is that making profit at all, if the main goal is to show them as greedy bastards?

Because the side-goal is to kill off the masses which aren't contributing anything to society now that robots and AI do all the real work. Also the poor unwashed masses DON'T HAVE any money to take. If you take their welfare check (which you gave them) they'll just be suffering and you'll have to increase welfare or face riots of starving people.

>For this reason, I just can't play Shadowrun, because it ends up with me getting angry at the setting and there is no other cyberpunk game around

Yeah, the SR pre-canned plot is always a little... forced. I just role my own and take the setting, but ignore their shitty plot points.
>>
>>49974726
God, it's really not. I mean, I LOVE the setting and am willing to suffer through the bullshit that Shadowrun tries to make me swallow. But the system is just BAD.
>>
>>49977592
oh yeah. Blame this fucker:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Midgley_Jr.
Over at the General Motors megacorp.

>Within the first two months of its operation however, the new plant was plagued by more cases of lead poisoning, hallucinations, insanity, and then five deaths in quick succession.

>On October 30, 1924, Midgley participated in a press conference to demonstrate the apparent safety of TEL. In this demonstration, he poured TEL over his hands, then placed a bottle of the chemical under his nose and inhaled its vapor for sixty seconds, declaring that he could do this every day without succumbing to any problems whatsoever.
>>
File: cyberpunk61.jpg (268KB, 1600x931px) Image search: [Google]
cyberpunk61.jpg
268KB, 1600x931px
>>49980604
You forgot, as well as putting lead in petrol he's also the man who pushed for the use of CFCs as refrigerants - he was a one-man environmental disaster, and quite possibly had a bigger negative impact on the environment than anyone else before or since.
>>
Will cyberpunk 2077 be any good, guys?

I personally don't think so.
>>
>>49980693
For now the only thing we have seen about the game is a trailer which some people love and some people hate. I'm more in the second group as I cannot associate the trailer's aesthetic with Cyberpunk 2020's. If we make abstraction from Alt's picture in the bus stop, it could be the trailer of a generic science-fiction/cyberpunk game.

>As I see it, the cops are way too well equipped for the NCPD and don't look tough and grizzled enough to be CYBEX. They should have a ragtag mix of armor and weaponry as the municipality is constantly broke. Same with the guns. They should have a mix of handguns, shotguns, SMG's and milsurp assault rifles. The CYBEX is also equipped in the same ragtag fashion, but with heavier, military-grade weapons and armor. If they are corporate security, why aren't they wearing black uniforms and have the Arasaka-crest or Militech-logo printed on their equipment.
>From the patch on his jacket, I can say that the hero is a member of the MaxTac (CYBEX). Since when are CYBEX-operatives, cyberninja that appear magically behind cyberpsychos to execute them with a bullet in the neck? To see how CYBEX operations look like, see A.D. Police and Bubblegum Crisis.
>The owl-like smartgoggles look fucking retarded and they are extremely bulky (smartgoggles shouldn't be much bigger than Oakley Blades).
>The cyborg's wolvers are some kind of weird preying-mantis-style foldable blades instead of the classic Wolverine-inspired retractable blades (they are called wolvers for a reason).
>The hero has a trash bin strapped to his leg.
>Finally, I absolutely hate the soundtrack.
(That's all my personal opinion and I don't expect anyone to agree with me)

I understand that this is more of a teaser than a trailer, and the final product will probably look quite different. Therefore I still keep faith that it might be good - though I'm also ready for it to suck.
>>
>>49981241
>the cops are way too well equipped for the NCPD
It looks like it's set in a more upmarket part of NC, so maybe NCPD have broken out the fancy equipment because the people in that are are actually important.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWKtoJ9YdCx-CpiR5k4WOWCrBxN8JCzA2
maybe try some of this on for size
>>
>>49978397
Congrats
You've just proved you weren't around when first ed of Shadowrun came out.
>>
>>49978414
You know the difference between decent cyberpunk and utter nonsense?
The first makes sense, the other doesn't give a fuck. And if the setting doesn't make a fucking sense, but is NOT a comedy game akin to Paranoia, then it's just shit and seriously undermine the playability. Because suddenly logic doesn;t apply to the game, while officially it still should
>>
File: tipping-intensifies.gif (141KB, 287x344px) Image search: [Google]
tipping-intensifies.gif
141KB, 287x344px
>>49980544
>I'm retarded and don't understand how global economy works
>I also read too much Ayn Rand
>>
>>49980544
Jesus fuck...
Now I understand why cyberpunk went to shit. People like you took over the writing.
>>
>>49980544
I will give you a real-world example, so you can grasp a bit of economy, you mongoloid.

Riddle me this:
What's better - to sell 1k cars, for million a piece OR sell 1 million cars, 30k a piece?
Just for your mind to graps such big numbers:
That's 1 billion against 30.

But hey, let's produce only for the richest, that will totally work and make us a killing!

Morons like you are the reason why cyberpunk settings are so fucking stupid - because they just can't grasp there is a difference between having greedy and unscrupulous MegaCorp and stupidly evil MegaCorp that opresses people for the same of it.
And it often comes from the fact the creators have absolutely zero idea about even most basic market-based economy, so they write this shit as if it was pre-modern, feudal-like society... while trying to pull ultracapitalism in the same time.
>>
>>49982496
>they just can't grasp there is a difference between having greedy and unscrupulous MegaCorp and stupidly evil MegaCorp that opresses people for the same of it.
This

Remember OCP in the very first RoboCop? That's how you balance between being bunch of greedy bastards and company that is still capable of existing. Because if they are selling shit, it's because they want to recap the cost of developing that shit. Dick Jones doesn't want to sell a faulty robot, because that's an evil thing to do. He wants to sell it, because it cost fuckload in R&D and apparently there is no way to make is less shit.
Not to mention they are multi-branch corporation, instead of one-trick pony that is heavily specialised. Or how they provide fuckload of stuff for both the masses and the rich.

Really, is it that hard for people nowdays to grasp how Reaganomics worked?
>>
>>49982496
This guy is correct. Cyberpunk writers generally have no clue how modern economies work and generally just pull nonsense out of their ass.
>>
>>49960951
>Not post-cyberpunk crap, I want that good 90s shit
Anon, 90s were all about post-cyberpunk, so what the fuck are you even talking about? Are you even old enough to use this site?
>>
>>49980544
Hey, moron, try this:
NuFood Inc. is selling pre-packed meals that only needs to be heated in any mini-oven. NuFood Inc. happens to have a control stake in Ofen GmbH, the worlds biggest producer of micro-ovens and other kitchen gear. NuFood Inc. also has a daughter company, Green Fields Limited, which is one of the biggest producers of soy, corn and turnips in the country and thus one of the world leaders.
NuFood Inc. also runs few chains of food joints, the most famous being Ferguson's, a world-wide chain of fast-food restaurants. And on top of that, NuFood Inc. has also a division responsible for growing actual, natural, non-modified food. It even uses real, clean soil!

In the end, you have a company that is multi-branch and multinational, being a massive player on food market AND all related branches. It makes fuckload on carcinogenic food being sold to masses, it makes a fuckload on restaurants, it makes a nice side profit on electronics due to control of some small company making control chipset for the ovens, they make a fuckload on organic food for the rich and alike, and on the top of that, they are in the business that is vital, to a lot of people will look through fingers on their safety standards even before they will start to bribe.

And you, as a punk in such verse, are fucked, just like you should, because NuFood Inc. delivers you your daily ration of proteins and carbs, no matter if you like it or not. You can't win this fight - just like it should be in any decent cyberpunk. The Man already won. Your rebellion is pointless.
>>
>There are people on this board who don't understand reaganomics
>There are people on this board who never experienced this shit first-hand
>There are people on this board who never even heard about such thing
And you want to do a dope cyberpunk?
>>
>>49983010
>>There are people on this board who don't understand reaganomics
Only economists understand Reaganomics.
>>
>>49974726
>There are elves and magic in cyberpunk setting
>This totally doesn'r ruin the cyberpun vibe
>The fact all of this is also suppose to take place on real Earth doesn't make it even more ridiculous.
Shadowrun in the same time tries to be fantasy game, cyberpunk game and real world setting. Since it tries to be all three, it fails at being any of them, like every other master of none. The cyberpunk vibe is washed out, the fantasy elements feel just forced with each following edition and the fact it insist of being treated serious with the whole "magic returns to real Earth" and how it affects the setting is just fucking ridiculous.
In short - this game could be any of the three, but decides to be none. And it's not how it's good, because it's special. It's the type of "special" that makes you disfunctional
>>
File: 8wYOL91tec.gif (458KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
8wYOL91tec.gif
458KB, 333x250px
>>49983064
Words can not describe
>>
>>49983064
>Don't tax rich
>Put heavy tarrifs on imported goods
>Cut out any form of social support that exists
>Stop subsidizing industry
>Allow heavy advertising on every step
>Remove most of regulations from stock exchange
>Make huge-ass military orders
>Ignore environmental damage to lower production and construction costs
Gee, so hard to understand

Also, British edition, to all of above:
>Privatise entire infrastructure and heavy industry within few months
>Declare martial law when laid-off millions start violent riots
>>
>>49964912
>if the players defeat the megacorp, rescue the girl or guy, and retire peacefully, it's not Cyberpunk.

He never saw Molly again.
>>
>>49961026
>Start with the right music.
More like:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFL1-fL-WtM
>>
>>49965030
>Shadowrun
>halfway decent system
>>
>>49983291
>all commercially available systems are shit
>only good system is my weird homebrew nobody wants to play for some reason
>>
>>49983422
>implying implications

Golly, you're dumb. Shadowrun, especially 5e is a dogshit nightmare of a system. Go ask /srg/ if you don't believe me. Why you just assumed that meant "all commercially available systems are shit" is anyone's guess.
>>
Seems like everyone is focused on telling everyone else that their thing isn't real cyberpunk, while no two of them seem to agree on what real cyberpunk is in the first place.
>>
>>49983422
>Implying this hard
Do you see in the entire fucking thread a single mention of homebrews?
I don't
But then again, I'm using GURPS, so I guess your next post will be "ha, GURPSfags pushing their shitty game again".

I've got a message for you - go screw yourself.
>>
>>49983660
You must be really new to not know this is how 3/4 of cyberpunk-related threads go on /tg/
>>
File: Gurps.png (106KB, 246x432px) Image search: [Google]
Gurps.png
106KB, 246x432px
>>49983724

ha, GURPSfags pushing thier shitty game again

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I have nothing against GURPs, even if it's not my cup of tea.
>>
>>49983178
>>Make huge-ass military orders
I like how one of Reaganomics' pillars was reduction of government spending, but the national debt tripled.
>>
>>49983753
And I'm using it solely because that's the only system allowing all the cyberpunk stuff without having utterly shit mechanics. If CP2020 wouldn't suck so hard mechanically and be class-based, I would probably still play the shit out of it
>>
>>49983808
There's some resource out there that takes all of R. Talsorian's cyberpunk related stuff and switches it over to a non class-based setting. It has the official stamp of approval so it's pretty much CP 202 in everything but name.
>>
File: CP90.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
CP90.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Made this little compendium of mid-1980's to early 1990's aesthetics. Feel free to use it.
>>
>>49983855
>it's pretty much CP 202

Pretty much CP 2020 v4.0, I mean.
>>
>>49983855
Interlock Unlimited?

Regardless, there's a pretty simple hack that gets posted here regularly: Make the special skills normal skills. Limit your players to one or two special skills. Give your players a pool of 12-14 skills (pro and hobby), with 40+I+R points to spread across them.
>>
>>49983894
Interlock Unlimited is a piece of shit system. It only adds unnecessary crunch to Cyberpunk 2020's system. Avoid that trash at all cost. You're better served with vanilla CP2020.
>>
>>49983875
>no Japanese Cube Apartment Building
It was built in 1972, but I think it's relevant,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nakagin_Capsule_Tower
>>
>>49983918
I'm the person who first brought it up, but I have to agree. I'd rather run standard CP2020, even with the class system.
>>
>>49983291
i have played SR 1E and 2E extensively. i would label SR a halfway decent system. yes.
>>
>>49983984
Played 1E and found it ok, too.
>>
>>49967701
So... Real life?
>>
>>49971357
They didn't go to rock n' roll high school.
>>
>>49980483
PA is on point yet again.
>>
>>49980691
Neat. Hopefully one day I can destroy the environment on such a scale!!!
>>
>>49983205
God if that wasn't heart wrenching I don't know what is. Poignant.
>>
>>49983855
>>49983881
... or I can just kit what I need with GURPS, instead of using their hodge-podge of rules.

I simply hate class-based games on general principle. And Talsorian's attempt to be class-less is laughable.
>>
>>49985960
That's fine, I don't have anything against GURPS beyond the legwork that's required to tune the rules for a particular style of game.

>>49985591
Neuromancer is still the gold standard for me. What a great book.
>>
>>49983178
>Privatise entire infrastructure and heavy industry

To be fair it was all private a few decades before, then it had been socialised, then privatised, then socialised then privatised, etc.
>>
>>49983894
That's my hack. You should also replace or redefine some skills, as some special skills do replace them (authority & intimidation, first-aid & meditech, streetdeal & streetwise, charismatic leadership & leadership, credibility & persuasion).
>>
This is the only Night City: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1Cq8oezbTh4
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jvpe-hfxkwU
>>
>>49983875
Nifty. Thanks.
>>
>>49983947
While being interesting from the architectural point of view, it's too old for the time period I determined. The early 1990's are this transitional period between classic cyberpunk and post-cyberpunk.
>>
>>49960951
Run a game in the current day Cyberpunk is the present.
>>
>>49987588
Oh boy. Here we go, again. Prepare for the shitstorm.
>>
>>49963644
>4. Read the classics, start with Gibson.
Or better yet, don't. Maybe read Neuromancer, it's tolerable the first time. Don't bother reading anything else since you're just re-reading Neuromancer.
>>
>>49963857
gay
>>
File: le environmentalim is gay.jpg (261KB, 1200x815px) Image search: [Google]
le environmentalim is gay.jpg
261KB, 1200x815px
>>49983178
>>Ignore environmental damage to lower production and construction costs

Why is Environmentalist dystopia not a genre anymore? John Brunner and his Ilk made it big in the 70s and it's still the most plausible scenario for life on earth to me. The only book I've read recently that really taps into that John Brunner sociel science fiction Dystopia kinda feel is Margaret Atwood's Excellent Oryx and Crake trilogy
I think it's because enough retards exist now who give no fucks about the enviornment
>>
>>49982882
>And you, as a punk in such verse, are fucked, just like you should, because NuFood Inc. delivers you your daily ration of proteins and carbs, no matter if you like it or not. You can't win this fight - just like it should be in any decent cyberpunk. The Man already won. Your rebellion is pointless.
kinda makes playing in such a setting pointless though, is almost as bad as those 90's metaplot RPG campaigns where the PC's weren't able to do anything except watch the NPC's be badasses
>>
File: the sheep look up.jpg (46KB, 315x475px) Image search: [Google]
the sheep look up.jpg
46KB, 315x475px
>>49989025

>>49988086

Adding onto what he said. There are thee trilogies you need to read that are cyberpunk (Besides le snow crash and all that entry level shit)

1. John Brunner's America Trilogy (Sheep look Up, Stand on Zanzibar, and The Shockwave Rider (The book that predicted the internet in 1974 and coined the term "worm")

2. Oryx and Crake

3. When Gravity fails (Has the greatest Cyberpunk Protagonist from a simple writing and likeability perspective, has actual characters that act like real people and unlike most cyberpunk works depicting the nightlife one gets the sense the author to this series actually went out once in a while)
>>
>>49982365
>I'm retarded and don't understand how global economy works
...How the global economy works in a fictional future universe?

Really?

Also it's a pretty easy shot in the bucket that following a technological singularity, there's a swatch of unemployment. You know, like the Industrial revolution? Like the Rust Belt?

>I also read too much Ayn Rand

I'm actually a democrat and think the libertarians are nuts. They don't need a patron saint to excuse them being assholes.

Cyberpunk is a cautionary tale.

>>49982496
>Riddle me this:
>What's better - to sell 1k cars, for million a piece OR sell 1 million cars, 30k a piece?
A million cars, of course. AS LONG AS A MILLION PEOPLE HAVE $30,000 TO SPEND ON YOUR PRODUCT.

How many $30K cars do poor gobmint welfare rats buy? In an age where the bulk of people can't go get a job because it's mostly been taken over by robots and AI, that's what you're looking at.

I don't think this is all that evil. I mean, it's a shitty outcome. But the megacorps are just doing whatever makes them profit. They sell to the market. And the market for cool cyberpunk high-tech goods doesn't involve the riff-raff in the gutter.

Other than "Welware". cyberware made for those on welfare. Cheap-ass cyberlimbs, brain implants, drug administers/regulators to get the physically and mentally disabled welfare queens back into the labor pool. At least technically, just so long as we don't have to pay them disability anymore and fulfill the obligations of the court settlement.

>And it often comes from the fact the creators have absolutely zero idea about even most basic market-based economy,

People have been asking who is going to buy the cars made on the assembly line if the workers don't earn enough money to buy them for ages. Hell, that's why Ford made an effort to pay his workers a decent wage.
>>
>>49982882
>Hey, moron, try this:
[Vertical monopoly]

Yeah dude. Dystopian future. Duh.

But if the workers HAVE no resources to buy it.

I'm not saying that no-one will make products for the poor, I'm saying there won't be a massive amount of profit there.

...The rest of your post is pretty spot on. Why am I a moron?
>>
>>49989448
Dear god people, don't you remember that the rich/poor divide is increasing and that's theme in cyberpunk?
>>
File: 1420010032312.png (79KB, 242x206px) Image search: [Google]
1420010032312.png
79KB, 242x206px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeEl0M7MQYk

cyberbreak should be a genre
>>
>>49989202
Maybe it never occured to you, but that's entire point of cyberpunk. The rebellion is absolutely pointless, over-the-top individualism about "muh freedom", where the freedom was lost before the character was even born. One of the main differences between CP and PCP is if The Man already won, or not.
>>
>>49989448
>I'm retarded, please pay attention to me: The Post
>>
>>49989448
Jesus fucking Christ... What and when went so fucking wrong there are retards like this around?
>>
>>49991920
so what you're saying is that Cyberpunk doesn't work for RPG(or videogame) purposes then, cause that's what I'm getting from what you are saying
>>
>>49983211
>no faggy post-cyberpunk bullshit
>The beatings will continue until morale improves
Thank you
>>
>>49992032
Depends.
But if you are planning on playing as punk and actually changing things within the verse - it's not cyberpunk. You can't change shit in cyberpunk, that's one of the core elements of it.

Seriously, I think RoboCop should be really used as a way to teach people all the elements.
Imagine the entire scenario as a game. Murphy gets killed, then they've reboot him as a cyborg. He's a machine now, under the control of The Men. He can't do shit about it. What he can do is doing his job. By the end of the stories, he cleans up the streets, get his revange and some sense of justice...
... but The Men is still there. They've won. And Murphy, with his actions, actively helped them to pull what they were trying to pull - the whole Delta City project. They are still all-powerful, they still can just turn him off on a whim and most importantly - he has no saying in that.

Accepting this is fundamental to actually enjoy cyberpunk as a backdrop for TTRPG. After all, people don't mind how archetypical CoC scenario ends up with entire party dead/commiting suicide/insane.
>>
>>49992639
>Accepting this is fundamental to actually enjoy cyberpunk as a backdrop for TTRPG
just doesn't seem enjoyable to me, but then my interest in cyberpunk is 99% from an aesthetics POV, the themes are mostly garbage in my opinion

>After all, people don't mind how archetypical CoC scenario ends up with entire party dead/commiting suicide/insane.
personally I hate that, but then I don't do CoC as straight horror, I do it as horror flavored pulp action
>>
File: image.jpg (190KB, 872x988px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
190KB, 872x988px
My legs are OK
>>
>>49992833
>I play X for aesthetics
Kill yourself.
Scrubs like you are literally the worst, most obnoxious people at the table, unless some fedora-tipper is present.
>>
>>49965308

Your grasp of the English language is atrocious. Are you a non-native speaker or are you just stupid? If it's non-native speaker that's fine. I understand the difficulties of communicating using a second language, but if you are a native speaker for the love of all that is holy fix your malfunction.
>>
File: agvq60W_460s.jpg (32KB, 460x285px) Image search: [Google]
agvq60W_460s.jpg
32KB, 460x285px
>>49992986
>>
File: 200% culter.png (533KB, 664x839px) Image search: [Google]
200% culter.png
533KB, 664x839px
>>49992912
My legs are the greatest
>>
>>49989448
>I'm actually a democrat

>Bitches about people on welfare
>>
File: Dr. Culter, I'm EYE..jpg (506KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Dr. Culter, I'm EYE..jpg
506KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>49992639
My games typicaly revolve around surviving and making rent by the end of the month.
>>
>>49993662
>What is dystopia?
>>
>>49994733
>What is brain tumor
>>
>>49989448
>How many $30K cars do poor gobmint welfare rats buy
In a cyberpunk setting there are not poor welfare rats, because welfare doesn't exist. You want to eat, you'll have to work for it.

Cyberpunk societal structures are similar to what you find now in emerging countries, like, for example, Thailand.
>>
>>49960951
Basically you need a republican in power like Reagan or Trump so everyone can be punk

Then add cyber

Bam, cyberpunk
>>
>>49961026

Do you even have taste bro?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7QshvmFzic
>>
>>49996319
And surprise surprise, Thai buy cars by a boatload. Cheap, small cars specifically designed for their market.
>>
>>49996418
Yes. But it's not the poor who buy those cars - it's the middle class. Mainly because the middle class can get credits to purchase them, a thing the poor can't (banks don't lend money to the poor, they have to resort to loansharks). Therefore, the poor drive scooters or old beat up cars.

But I completely agree with you, that producing only for the rich would be stupid. Even poor people need scooters, cellphones, TV sets, alcohol, cigarettes, medicine, drugs, clothing, shoes, tools, batteries, etc. And slum people don't hang out idle. They move their asses and find ways to make cash. They can either go the illegal way like become a gang enforcer, or cutting and selling drugs, rob people or businesses, or they steal and sell stolen stuff. But most will have legit jobs like driving cabs, collecting and selling recyclable trash, prostitution, working as maids or security guards, being guides in redlight district, operate small work/repair shops, run some small businesses (food stalls, market stands or rental businesses)...

By the way, in most countries you cannot afford a car, especially a new one, if you're on social welfare. People who own a car while on social welfare either could keep the one they had before sliding down the social ladder, or they work black.
>>
>>49996418
Forgot to mention that those cheap cars we're speaking of are all made in Thailand. Therefore, making them procures jobs to thousands of Thais.
>>
>>49991920
The term rebellion in cyberpunk is confusing. It's not a rebellion like in Star Wars, where rebels try to get rid of an evil empire (which is totally subjective, by the way). Rebellion in cyberpunk means usually either getting revenge or getting leverage over someone else, but it won't change the world. Even if the characters bring down a corporation or crime syndicate, it won't make the world a better place. Rivaling and equally "evil" organizations are ready to take its place. Heck, the characters vengeance might even have been part of their plot.
>>
File: cryosleep.jpg (54KB, 630x400px) Image search: [Google]
cryosleep.jpg
54KB, 630x400px
>>
File: 1445290865526.png (191KB, 728x715px) Image search: [Google]
1445290865526.png
191KB, 728x715px
>>49964100
>tfw West Virginia is cyberpunk
>>
>>49996319
>In a cyberpunk setting there are not poor welfare rats,
That's certainly one way to go with it. Corporations are pretty fucking brutal for profit. The elite go full fascist "final solution" and try and exterminate the proles. I guess that could happen.

The biggest issue I see is that there's simply no work for them to do. Life gets REALLY cheap when automation takes over.

As long as there's some form of democratic government, the bleeding hearts would demand something. Nothing guarantees that stays around though, the 1850's were pretty much corporate rule.

It's a nice plot device though, gives a reason for there to be masses of people without much to do. A disenfranchised mob.

>>49996418
>Thai buy cars by a boatload.
That's because they're a poor third-world nation that hasn't replaced all their jobs with automation and AI yet. There are still factory jobs sewing cloth together into clothes where the Thai workers GET PAID.

That's going to go away. Yeah, like >>49996639 guy said. Those are "middle class" Thai. The Thai poor don't buy cars. Get ready for the bulk of humanity to look like the US homeless. There are services available, but not too many prospects.

>But I completely agree with you, that producing only for the rich would be stupid.
oh. Yeah. Of course things will still be made for the poor masses. There's SOME marginal jobs for them. And they have some cash if there's welfare. Whoever that first guy was that argued that there's be NO products made for them was a dumbass. But Megacorps won't be big and powerful because they earn pennies from selling soypaste to poor people.

Why aren't US corporations super rich selling shit to Africa? They sell to China because those people have jobs. They sell to the west because they have money.
>>
>>49996639

But most will have legit jobs like

>driving cabs,
Haha, wut? Self-driving cars are already poised to obliterate this job.
>collecting and selling recyclable trash,
Maybe in town. The bulk will go to a recycling center.
> prostitution,
The oldest profession will certainly still be around
>working as maids
Yeah, probably. Cleaning up a house is one of those super-finiky things that robots don't do well. If we're looking at a sort of future with full androids, then this also goes out the window, but these jobs will be around for a long time.
>or security guards,
I don't think so. Cameras, sensors, and robots do a lot better job. When they actually need to employ force, megacorps would have no qualms about putting a gun on a drone.
>being guides in redlight district,
Sure, as niche as that is.
>operate small work/repair shops,
This has been going away for a LONG time. Nobody repairs anything, they ditch it and buy new. Small shops are getting made obsolete by factories and standardization. They'll be more and more niche. I don't think they'll actually completely go away, but SOMEONE out there still makes buggy-whips.

> run some small businesses (food stalls, market stands or rental businesses)...
YES. Yes, this was is very true. The poor will have a business selling to the poor. Like a separate economy. A third-world nation festering under the technological midgar towering over them.

I think the post-automation job pool has slimmer pickings.
>>
>>49967426
1) What a shit song
2) Ok, I get the idea that they want to show that she's dangerous/powerful/non-human and a bullet bouncing off her. ok, fine. But there's kinetic energy there, there's no magically hard material like that, and the physics are just plain wrong. If you're going to do the slow-mo thing, the details are where it's at.
3) ...ok, and THE CLOTH on her abdomen is also bullet proof? Come on.
4) It's a semi-frozen moment in time, you can't have the newscaster display that frozen moment in real-time... that doesn't work.
5) ...Why were the cops shooting at her when there's someone RIGHT BEHIND HER about to execute her? Were they trying to kill him too?
6) The scene at the end feels off. Like they had the a minute of the next scene done so they tacked it onto a trailer they had already made.

Wooo, production quality.
>>
>>49989025
Check out Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.

The environment is fucked from global warming and weaponized genetic experiments and fuckups.
>>
>>50000345
You must differentiate the economy in corporate (rich) areas and the economy in the slums. They are two separate things.

>Self-driving cars are already poised to obliterate this job.
You really think that self-driving cars will make it in the slums? Surely not. Traffic would be way too chaotic for a computer. In the corporate areas, it's an entirely different story, though.

>The bulk will go to a recycling center.
And who will bring it to the recycling center? Scavengers collect and bring the trash already sorted to the center, the corporation can concentrate on recycling. It's a win-win situation.

>Cameras, sensors, and robots do a lot better job.
Your camera and sensors don't replace guards. Robots won't replace them before long, too. You'll always need muscle, especially in the slums.

>Nobody repairs anything, they ditch it and buy new
With dwindling resources and less income you have to make things work longer. It might be different in the corporate areas, but in the slums repairing is and will remain a thing.

And some totally unrelated superior Japanese music that surely inspired Gibson:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97v2UZEh0z8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiTRUkCnYu0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2t8qMG_3F7A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvNHb7hIo3s
>>
And more stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iur8T56qNtk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWUDvsS4kqo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUE6UAZ4OmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w9gOQgfPW4Y (one of my favorite songs when I was a kid)
>>
Cyberbamp!
>>
>Mfw this entire thread
>>
>>49996639
>Thailand
>Middle class
You've lost before you even started talking.
>>
>>50005349
What was the 90s to now?
>>
>>49960951
https://soundcloud.com/mysteryskulls/halloween-mixtape-2016
>>
>>49989025
Dystopia in general seems to have mostly been relegated to the YA ghetto. Arguably Hunger Games is an environmental dystopia of sorts, although it's a Malthusian one.
>>
>>50005349
Says the idiot who only knows his hotel room in Phuket and the bars from Patong.

Guess you never met a lot of locals apart of some Issaan whores.
>>
>>50001372
>You must differentiate the economy in corporate (rich) areas and the economy in the slums. They are two separate things.

Yeah, I agree they'll both exist... but they'll be different. The slums are going to service their own needs which the corps can't supply... but the slums aren't going to grow crops and sell meals cheaper than the megacorps can. That goes for primary sectors, manufacturing, utilities, and most services. The slumers can perform some services for other slumers because they'll work so cheap.

But trucking? Yeah. Taxi cabs? Yeah, I'm thinking Maybe some poor people will work taking goods from the part of town with real roads to the slum stores. But traffic? Yes, self-driving cars will deal with traffic just fine. Better than humans.

>And who will bring it to the recycling center?
Garbage trucks, just like now. I don't see why places would let homeless people access their waste. Security aside, it's like letting raccons into your trash.

>Your camera and sensors don't replace guards. Robots won't replace them before long, too. You'll always need muscle, especially in the slums.
Oh sure, security will be muscle in the slums. That's definitely one of those slum-economy jobs. But it pays slum rates.

Up with the elite, cameras work fine. The people that are allowed there have a reputation and don't want to break the law. The system works for them.
>>
>>50005349
It's relative dude. African jungle has their rich upper class. They own a two cows and three wives but still live in mud huts.

There's middle class in Thailand because there are factories (ok, sweatshops). Those people earn more money than the poor minnow farmers and street beggars.
>>
>>50009394
>Dystopia in general seems to have mostly been relegated to the YA ghetto.
>Hunger Games

God, THAT'S depressing as hell...

I dunno though, it's honestly a little weird to have a society/subculture that's focused on the end of the world. It makes the cognizant of how fragile shit is and how we REALLY don't want to fuck it up. But it's got to have some sort of psychological effect you know?

On the flip-side an optimistic society sounds like a good thing. Except for these dumb fuckers who forget that Russia and China are nuclear powers and WE CANNOT ATTACK THEM. that's one area where you need to gut-punch the optimist tell him to shut the fuck up.
>>
>>49974395
Really though, synthwave is a shallow plastic aping of an aesthetic with no real thought behind it. For the real deal look to Detroit techno.
>>
>>50010531
>Implying factory workers are middle class
>Implying they aren't even poorer than farmers
Anon, where were you for past... 200 years?
>>
>>50010547
>Being this fucking stupid

If a society gets a whack on reading depressing stuff and purposefully creates works about hardships and bad stuff - you know what it means?
That the society producing those works feels safe and secured. For the same reason shitload of just too sweat to bear works were done in late 70s and early 80s in Hollywood - because world was close to going into shit, while American economy was fighting with serious recession.

And this bit:
>Except for these dumb fuckers who forget that Russia and China are nuclear powers and WE CANNOT ATTACK THEM
Cold war ended almost 30 years ago, Steve. You need to finally get over it.
>>
>>50010531
The average Thai salary is higher than the average Polish salary. Just saying.
Thread posts: 229
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.