[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tg/ tell me about the elite troops/special forces of your setting.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 15

File: FOXHOUND_Logo.png (46KB, 500x544px) Image search: [Google]
FOXHOUND_Logo.png
46KB, 500x544px
/tg/ tell me about the elite troops/special forces of your setting. The SAS, the Spetsnaz, the Sacred Band; what makes them badass?

How powerful are they compared to your party?

What is their purpose?
>>
I haven't actually thought about it, I should probably write something down about that.

If any historygeeks are here, what were the "special forces" of the 30 years war?
>>
>>49958327
>the Spetsnaz
Which ones? Some SWAT team from Bumfuck Nowhere? Or Spetsgruppa B?
>>
>>49958327
It's not MY setting, but I do have a homebrew Imperial Guard unit that I'm planning a game of Only War for. Might borrow some shit from Dark Heresy, considering what they do.

They specialize in fighting other humans, because their special thing that all Guard units have is that they'll be dropped into enemy-controlled human cities (could be Chaos Secessionists, could be Gue'la/Gue'vesa territories, could be random-ass Separatists who leave for a million different reasons) and embed themselves in the culture, acting as a sort of human equivalent of a Genestealer cult or a Lictor brood.

Then, a night or two before the Imperium strikes (or when the Imperium is striking) the planet or hive in question, these guys bust out all of their fighting kit and do what they can to destabilize the enemy. Could be killing off heads of state or important officers of their military, could be striking important powerplants, could be releasing inmates from their prisons on the soft parts of the city so the enemy has to relocate forces to deal with them, could be a lot of other things.

When they're not doing that job, they're generic city fighters who do lots of high-speed low-drag room-clearing and whatnot. Kit involves a homegrown lasgun based on the Triplex so it does a ton of close-up damage because of its burst mode (suppressed, folding stock), a suppressed laspistol, a pair of mono-knives (it's 'cos if the first one breaks, see?), an absolute TON of grenades and demo-charges, and their armor consists mostly of light Synskin (a tad lighter than flak armor in terms of protection, but makes them invisible to heat-vision and NVGs and is very light and flexible and can be worn under clothes) and a flak vest.

I like 'em. Lots of social infiltration and spy shit with that culminates in a single night of ridiculous levels of violence, all done in a very MGS/ARMA/Republic Commando operator fashion.
>>
File: Dessian 732.jpg (670KB, 994x1500px) Image search: [Google]
Dessian 732.jpg
670KB, 994x1500px
The 732's are a band of soldiers who were called on to undergo a program that would transform them into mechanized soldiers.
The 732 are a staple of the Republic. They know that they were not issued feelings, and will only act on instinct.
They do not care for emotion - only for orders.
They exist as the cure for what their higher ranks deem plagues.
>>
File: tac-shooter.jpg (77KB, 571x887px) Image search: [Google]
tac-shooter.jpg
77KB, 571x887px
>>49959199
Didn't really have room to say, but they also go on what they call "cleansing," operations: infiltrating a friendly Imperial city with a suspected cult or force of some kind (Chaos, Genestealer, Necron-worshipping, and millions of others a GM might come up with) and they hunt them down and eventually wipe them out.

They're an option in case a planetary governor doesn't have things like Sisters he can call on, and they can sometimes kill the organization from the inside by infiltrating it (some things, like Genestealer cults, can't really be "infiltrated," but they make do as they can), because that's what they do. They're often seconded off to Inquisitors and Interrogators for this kind of stuff, but don't like it that much because Inquisitors and other such exceptionally-pious individuals look at their infiltration tactics--as you need to be familiar with the foe to present yourself as one of him before the fateful night of violence--with a strong amount of--unfair, in the opinion of the unit--suspicion.

They consider these "cleansing," operations to be light duty compared to infiltrating a foe's world or hive and trying to bring down a government in the time they're given (typically a few months before the invasion is supposed to happen).

The regiment also really hates when they're given to Lord Commanders who insist on using them as generic Stalingrad-style city fighters. They can do it, but it's not what they're there for. And doing so typically requires needing to steal better armor from someone, because theirs is supposed to let them be stealthy and fast; not the best traits when fighting a foe who actually knows you're there and is waiting for you when you're serving a retarded general who thinks of you as little more than fodder.
>>
>>49958327
The human faction has an elite government division of hackers, soldiers, and hacker-soldiers to combat the machinations of what are effectively the Borg.

The machine hive-mind's power is so intense that it can be summoned like a demonic force via techno-rituals and code-sorcery, so the "exorcists" need to come in, kill shit, and purge any remnants so that it doesn't infect everything with a logic plague.
>>
>>49959199
>>49959319
Really interesting and absolutely badass. Which world do they come from?

What does their training involve?
>>
>>49960592
They are from a homebrew planet called Echo, "the World of a Billion Cultures." It's the sort of "spoke of the wheel," of a massive sector's trade route, so there are billions of people shifting in and out of its hives on the daily.

The planetary governor takes the best of the best from the scions of militaristic upper-hive families, volunteers from the PDF's kill-squads, and the baddest dudes from the lower-hive gangers and puts them all through a five-year course of spec-ops training and infiltrator spy shit including a course that lasts that entire time regarding linguistics and at the very least basic fluency in the two languages of the Imperial culture: High and Low Gothic. The training is mostly run by an old Inquisitor who is doing the closest that any of them do to retiring peacefully; he married into the governor's family, and enjoys the "shore duty." Training what's effectively an elite cadre of badass infiltrator and counter-cult operatives, he also has an effective excuse for staying there and enjoying his spanking-hot lifestyle.
>>
>>49959199
>>49959319

Seems pretty cool.

How does infiltration of human population centres generally occur? Unless we're talking major trade hubs and worlds with high traffic their ethnicity would probably stand out somewhat.
>>
>>49960799
They mostly infiltrate hives and large cities, as that's where the most damage can be done. Important military-tier targets. And they're from a world with a lot of peoples from all over a galactic sector. Lots of ethnicities to go about, and the majority of their non-combat training goes into fitting in as social infiltrators.
>>
Brog have heavy stone axe and born under the totem of the great boar. Party knap flint and tend cooking fire for Brog.
>>
File: RAID_logo.png (25KB, 223x225px) Image search: [Google]
RAID_logo.png
25KB, 223x225px
>>49958327
Being set in Cyberpunk southern France, my special forces are just the BAC and RAID, with an additional serving of drones and surveillance software.

My party can't hope to compete in any way, assuming they intervene. They have to either fly under their radar, or use legal loopholes to their advantage.
>>
File: MCPD_Recruit.png (405KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
MCPD_Recruit.png
405KB, 612x792px
Municipal Emergency Intervention Defense Organization

Keeping the Mansionville streets clean of the Dust Bunnies insidious product MEIDO acts as the stop gap before calling in the Militia/Army to quell theme gang hijinks.

Domestic Enforcement Routine Police and their High Elevation Routine Police counterparts patrol the skies and streets until things get too weird to handle.

As for the elites there's the Oppairators whose gene soldier chassis offer their impact resistant skills to the highest paying city state. They field anti-pantsu static mines, catgirl back buttering rounds and Kitsune rice scatter loads among their bag of tricks. Deployed to either end or invoke the dreaded tantrum spiral that occasionally afflicts MEIDO assets.
>>
>>49958327
DnD homebrew setting:
At least for the human kingdoms, there aren't any. The closest they get is to hire adventuring parties on retainer to do the same job.

Near-future cyberpunk:
Special forces exist, but the most elite of elite forces are mercenaries. They hire from all the special forces, and work for personal loyalty and money rather than patriotism. Of those, the most elite are super-soldiers, created from various projects and separated from their countries of origin. Turns out that simply creating someone doesn't make the loyal.
Treating them like people, taking them in, and giving them stability and safety? That does.
The centre of the setting is an early extraterritorial corporation, blurring the line between corporation and nation and mostly existing to support their army. They're the elite mercenaries, backed by the core of recruited super-soldiers.
Sort of like Outer Heaven, only less idealistic.
>>
Used to be gardeners who tended to the world to make it grow and prosper before I dropped the setting
>>
>>49958327
The House of Sigurd, formerly an organization of monster hunters, turned guards of the Emperor by the time people stopped getting shrekt by monsters. After the Empire fell to civil war, though, most became hitmen, mercs, or officers in other armies.
>>
It's where most of the b-list and c-list super-villains end up once they've been captured by the heroes and turned over to the government. Unbeknownst to the main hero teams, and the general public, the large holding facility designed as a supervillain jail only holds powerless clones of the original prisoners. What really happens is when the government gets a hold of the villain in question, they're put through a "rehabilitation and reeducation" program that brainwashes them into a mindless special forces operative. These operatives are collectively known as SLATE.
>>
>>49958327
1.) once a year go out and kidnap children in public(kill the adults)

2.) teach the girls magic and throw the boys into a coldren of boiling blood

3.) girls become death knights and the boys who survive become exicutioners
>>
>>49958327
guys go killing things and try to get noticed by the god of war, hate, blood shed. once they prove them selves they get magical armor, weapons or enhancements. few make it to the point where they are demi gods but those who do are unbeatable
>>
File: digiweapons.png (161KB, 441x384px) Image search: [Google]
digiweapons.png
161KB, 441x384px
>>49959199
>>49959319
>>49960766
Nice, very intresting. At first I tought that this lightening fast, surgical strike method of operating steps on the Astartes´turf, but then i got to the part about blow up poweplants and stuff to crete chaos This prescision among with inflitration tactics makes them, reallz distric from marines and it makes sense, they can operate with more sublety and subterfuge than a 8 ft tall power-armored warrior monk supersoldier. If the astartes are a spear, those guys are a dagger, is that about right?

How do they fare in comparision to, say, stormtroopers and how do they view each other?
Also, they seem like the perfect kind of force to have a lot fun gear like those vortex, tanglefoot and hallucinogenic grenades, as well as needle and digital weapons, does the planet have the supply capabilites for that?
>>
File: NOVA Team.jpg (656KB, 1745x1764px) Image search: [Google]
NOVA Team.jpg
656KB, 1745x1764px
>>49958327
NOVA Team. There are currently only 13 NOVA teams throughout the Federation. Give a NOVA team a day, and they can take down a planetary orbital defenses. A week, and the capital city is yours. A month, the entire system starts waving the Federation flag.

Their purpose is to whatever military objective the Interstellar Sol Federation determines it to be. Whether it be assassination, scorch earth, conquest, these are your guys. Their gear ranged from the latest in Human tech, to captured experimental xeno tech.
>>
>>49967529
Thanks. Yeah, Astartes are kind of like the MI from Starship Troopers. They're shock troops while these guys only operate with that kind of precision and violence-of-action on the final night.

As for Stormies, they have a unique relationship. These guys understand that they and the Stomies go through a similar amount of combat training, but their kit is entirely different (the bit I have on their lore that talks about armor actually mentions how they prefer to avoid heavier armor unless some retarded Lord General is using them as generic MOUT infantry) and these guys view themsleves as an entirely different unit since Stormies basically just smash-and-grab compared to the amount of time and careful societal infiltration these guys put into their work.

Obviously that last statement is going to be a bit biased from their perspective, but it's how they view themselves. They need that kind of confidence to live amongst so many damned souls and not give in to that temptation. Have you seen Captain America: Civil War? That bit where Winter Soldier says "these guys could take down an entire nation in a single night and you'd never see them coming." While these guys aren't Winter Soldier-tier, because they don't have the genetic modifications, they want to be that good. They're Ra's al-Ghul's boys from the first Nolan Batman film when they were taking down Gotham.

And yeah, they do often get some special kit. While not as widely respected as entities like Inquisitorial Stormtroopers, they do get access to some neat stuff (from a mechanical perspective, a bonus to any logistics test taken to get their hands on stealth kit, explosives, or certain weapons like needle guns) and make the best of what they can.

Here's my PDF document involving all I've written on their Only War creation rules and lore, if you're curious.
>>
>>49959199
Pretty cool. Sounds insurgent-ey. I think this is the way most warfare is going to be conducted in the modern times.

If i was going to arm them, im not sure i'd give them the triplex... i might give them something like a carbine with the ability to fire 5 shots full auto (i forget the name of that upgrade). Actually my personal preference is for a bullpup with the 5 shot and compact upgrade, as its already compact i argue that its a -25 to search for it, rather than a -20. The best version bullpup is the Accatran which gives a bonus to overwatch actions... however you might personally choose the bonus of being weilded 1 handded like the carbine, (as you most often use this to prep a nade.) though if you stick a grenade launcher on the bullpup that pretty much eliminates the need to weild 1 handed. I think its pretty necessary that all the dudes have quick draw as one of their starting talents.
What else... well it'd be cool if there was some kind of small scope attached to the rifle. One thing ive never seen done is put a micro scope on it from RT hostile aquisitions, and fire round corners.
>>
>>49968529
My PDF for them is actually right here >>49968500. They prefer the Triplex for the versatility. If they need a long-range shooter (but for some reason can't get a sniper or needle rifle) then it has its long-range mode. When they're doing their CQB raids, they have its burst mode (as Proven 5 and Felling 4 is nothing to sneeze at) with the lasgun-suppression modification from Rogue Trader.

Nice picture. That's probably my favorite of any Imperium soldier--Guard or Army--that was intended to be a picture of one instead of a picture from someone else in sci-fi that was adapted for 40k.
>>
File: DGTO_Coats_of_Arms.jpg (174KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
DGTO_Coats_of_Arms.jpg
174KB, 1000x1000px
>>49958327

Mainly playing a Shadowrun styled game so far so here is mine

Crimson Harvest, DGTO's personal "Nuclear Option" in combating insurgency.

After dealing with so many baffling defeats at the hands of a popstar rebel force. The DGTO hardliners who are more about the spirit of the law over the nation's interests decided to authorize the creation of a special ops team to supplement the Destroy Entertainment Soldiers in maintaining order at all costs. (Yes, the setting is based on AKB0048). Think of them as the sardaukar of the setting. When you think of it, the DGTO is basically the Spacing Guild if they took control of the government.

To make them truly fanatical soldiers, theirs ears and eyes are surgically replaced and their pitiuary gland is suppressed with heavy doses of mind altering drugs. This makes them unable to feel pleasure of any form and stuck in a bipolar state of emotionless enforcement and utter bloodlust. This also makes it difficult for the AKB0048 and WOTA resistances to fight against them because they got a nokill policy. And they recruit from a mix of unwilling prisoners and fanatics. To rub salt in the wounds of their enemy they would often be rigged to self destruct through their armor or good old fashion suicide belts.
>>
File: 45th Targian Purebloods..png (114KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
45th Targian Purebloods..png
114KB, 400x500px
My guys are special gland troopers, able to resist injury and sickness. They also have a diverse array of equipment due to cottage industry. They are very durable in adverse climates knowing survival from the tundra-planet they come from.

44th Targian Purebloods
http://pastebin.com/W2zpbNnd
>>
File: hox-daymad-zealteam.jpg (58KB, 1105x561px) Image search: [Google]
hox-daymad-zealteam.jpg
58KB, 1105x561px
>>49968967

Of course, equipment wise these bastards are as well equipped as it gets. Pre-Standardized weaponry means they got first access to the latest assault suits, power armor and other fun stuff that a Destroy Entertainment Soldier cant use. Typical enhancements makes them more machine than man and they use subvocal communications to coordinate attacks.

Fighting wise, their tactic is simple: Fight to win. Scorched Earth, terror tactics and stuff that even a dictatorship would wince at if it hurts their profit margins. They have used every trick in the book to win and they often do against the regular resistance. Often survivors (if any) would be the face of the tragedy that was inflicted on the people at the nearby area.

They are also used to quash internal dissident as they are often used against the enemy. Their "Spirit of the Law" philosophy means they often show little respect to people who breaks the law for their own benefit and they would use whatever means necessary to remove those from power. One CEO tried that and ate bullets for his trouble, the next CEO was quick to notice that.

This invoked a "To fight monsters, we created monsters of our own." situation for AKB0048 and their allies, asking AEPS to find a commando team, the party is that team consisting of the most willing and capable commandos, mercs and never do wells who gets additional privileges in exchange for keeping these soldiers from doing harm to them.
>>
File: armour2.jpg (198KB, 800x1143px) Image search: [Google]
armour2.jpg
198KB, 800x1143px
>>49968666
>They prefer the Triplex for the versatility.
Fair enough. They've gotta have atleast 1 cool peice of technology amirite?

I once created an assassin for DH1 that wore the survival suit from Inquisitors handbook. (+1 armour all, +20 to survival, can breath underwater.) I used it as a wetsuite with integral armour. I also wore a mesh cest. A bit like a synskin, except you can breath underwater.

It'd be nice if you'd criteque my gland warriors over here:
>>49969156
>>
>>49969156
Are there specific rules for making gland troopers beyond the one career in Rogue Trader?
>>
>>49969327
Their armor is a full synskin suit with a flak vest carrier. Synskin's pretty dope because it's basically the camo-suit that Snake had from MGS2 (active camo, but with the added benefit of making wearers invisible to Preysense goggles). AP2 everywhere, and it's thin enough that you can wear clothes over it for when they need to do operations in outfits of some kind.

That's the closest thing they have to special kit because as far as they're concerned, they prefer having their Regimental kit but they don't really need them. If need be, they'll get guns from the black market of the world or city/hive they're infiltrating.

>>49969156
I think the idea of gland troopers itself is rad as hell. They're basically like the ORION project from Halo. Though I'm curious if you used actual rules for making custom gland troops or if you took the gland trooper advanced career from Rogue Trader and just changed what they have access to?
>>
>>49969334
>>49969422
Yes theres gland warrior rules in Inquisitors handbook. You can eaither choose the gland or an injector rig which malfunctions.

You can also find them in this fanmade aggregate book on page 105:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8TvOCETvLE2WThaQVFLR05DWDA/edit?pli=1
>>
>>49969624
Gonna keep that in mind, thanks. I'll check out the pastebin when I'm not on mobile, but the basic description makes them sound like a tough bunch.
>>
>>49958327
Vampire varangian guard in Russian australia.
>>
Humans in my setting are magically "blank" but use technology to manipulate mana into an universal fuel for weapons and combat systems

The human faction's special forces are armed with "old world" weapons and ammunition and use their complete lack of a mana footprint to remain undetected while assassinating mages and high-profile targets

>You know how we hardly ever see a human in the battlefield? I used to think they were amorphous blobs always hiding behind their strange metal golems, but it always seemed strange that I never "felt" one...
>Well, I saw one when the high arcanist died.
>He was dressed like a bush. No, really, he wore clothes with patterns imitating the forest floor. No woodland glamour or growth of bushes around him, but just clothes dyed in a pattern. And he looked not too different from an elf or a dwarf, something in between, if I had to guess.
>But the really weird thing is that I couldn't... "feel" him
>Like I felt my companions, and the arcanist. Hells, I even felt the trees and the animals in the woods.
>But it's as if the human wasn't there at all, like a rock or a dead thing
>And then there was a loud bang and a flash of light and the arcanist's head just exploded like a melon hit with a mace by a giant
>By the time we recovered from the shock he was gone, or rather, it was as if he had never been there to begin with
>>
>>49969327
>>49969689
Auxiliary Guard to the Blood Angels seems interesting enough, and the mixing of the glands is always going to be cool. Considering the two and some of their kit, it seems like they're supposed to be a sort of "junior Astartes," to the Blood Angels, like the ORION project relates to the SPARTAN project. Their color pattern really asserts that idea alongside all the other stuff.

Nothing really wrong with their standard kit, though it would probably be a good idea to emphasize that their logistics are going to force them to fight as actual Auxiliary Guard instead of going to handle other problems with other Guard; at least if you want them to keep their .998 Heavy Bolter. If I remember right the Guard really only supplies .775 bolts, so these guys are going to run into problems fast if they aren't working off Astartes logistics.

If you can find a way to squeeze them in, it might also be something worth considering to give them regular human-sized boltguns. After all, it seems like these guys REALLY want to be Astartes, even by the standards of other Auxiliary I've seen around. So why not use the inferior, but still holy, versions of boltguns that won't rip their arms off when they use them?

Overall, a neat idea.
>>
>>49970110
>Auxiliary Guard
Thats what they are! Ding ding ding.

>their logistics are going to force them to fight as actual Auxiliary Guard instead of going to handle other problems with other Guard.
>boltguns that won't rip their arms off when they use them?

Well i like to think that the numbers recruited would make boltguns too expensive to manufacture on a planet like Targon. (This isnt a shrineworld.) The tribes are fairly poor but the Purebloods are their only actual export, so the planet is quite rich by some standards. The purebloods do allot of different jobs, from assisting blood angel fleets with carrirer support. Being dedicated to crusade fleets and reinforced and generaly protecting and patroling the system that Targon is in. The average Pureblood is a typical example of a tribal people given advanced weapons and told to fight for planets and wars that they have no idea where they are. But it is their honour to do so.
>>
There's not much special about the DemSec's Suppression teams, sparing their (relatively) advanced equipment: reflex armor, combat droids, automatic rifles (which are quite lacking in the criminal underground). In extra-special situations they can pull out their one or two hardsuits, but compared to the rest of the world, it's nothing remarkable. The PCs, though, with only their wits and their sticks, would be no match. Japan has Section-9 (ripped straight from GitS like the rest of Japan), which is pretty nice. Occasionally, lucky HONGKONGATON attendees get to see an experimental supersoldier or something like that running the gauntlets.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.