[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's talk chess. Who are your favorite players? What are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

File: 245656.jpg (57KB, 532x532px) Image search: [Google]
245656.jpg
57KB, 532x532px
Let's talk chess. Who are your favorite players? What are your favorite openings? Any favorite famous chess games?

Also, can you solve this puzzle?
>>
>>49955999
I forgot... white's move. How do you beat black as white?
>>
>>49955999
>>49955999
>Who are your favorite players?

Don't really have them.

> What are your favorite openings?

I tend to like the QGD as white and a bunch of sicilians, these days the Najdorf, as black.

> Any favorite famous chess games?

I've always been amused by the Larsen-Spassky one where Spassky just runs the H pawn to victory.

>Also, can you solve this puzzle?

I don't have time to look at it in depth right now, but the obvious method to win is to queen the pawn on d7. Can't do that right away because of Nf7+, so Ne5 seems to be the obvious choice for stopping it.
>>
>>49955999
Tal all the way brah!
>>
>>49955999
When I was like eight playing other kids at chess my strategy was always to set up a zigzag of pawns.
>>
>>49956076
The respond to Ne5 would probably be Ba5.
>>
I sometimes play chess on my phone, against a computer set at level 2. I often lose.

As for the puzzle, you aren't telling me which side is supposed to move.
>>
>>49956196
Yeah sorry I mentioned that in the second post.

>>49956017
>>
>>49956195

Point. In fact, the response to just about any way to cover d8 is to play Ba5, and the response to an immediate d8 is Nf7+.

There is no way to force a black king into a corner with just a knight and a bishop if he can make piece (unlimited) stalling moves, and no way to prevent him from at the very worst trading a piece for the advanced pawn, which still leaves him up 3 pawns, 2 of them quite advanced.

>>49955999

I'm calling this one, OP. There is no solution, black wins (or at least has a major advantage) in all lines.
>>
>>49955999
Is this the one where you promote the pawn to a knight?
>>
>>49956240
There is a solution and white can win. Engines won't find it until a couple moves into the combination though.
>>
>>49956335

Promoting to knight seems to lose, as then black can play e2 and then c2 and queen his own pawn.
>>
>>49955999
Most people I've played chess with (friends) are shit and I check them in 6 with a bishop and they lose the will to play within a few games. My grandfather and brother consistently beat me, I lost the interest to play them a few years ago.
>>
>>49955999
FAR RIGHT BLACK PAWN, CUTEST GIRL!
>>
>>49956216
Not sure how many moves, but okay: knight on G4 to F6, this puts the king in check, and the only way out that I can see is having the king move. If he moves to G7, I can move my bishop at D1 to B3. If he moves to H8, I move my pawn at D7 one more space and queen it.
>>
>>49956560
After your Bb3 black would play c4+ and from then on out things are looking really bad for white.
>>
>>49956411
If it's a combination can you at least tell us the first move?
>>
>>49956943
Keep thinking. ;)
>>
>>49957214

The guy who keeps maintaining it's impossible here:

If you don't promote immediately, I see no way of stopping Ba5 and stopping you from promoting at all.

If you do promote immediately and do so to anything other than a knight, Nf7+ can at the very least trade the piece for the pawn.

If you do promote immediately to a knight, you can't stop e2 and then c2 for black queening himself.

So unless you have a 2-3 piece mate against the black king, it can't be done. And I don't see any sort of mate for said king.
>>
>>49957401
If you really want me to tell you I will reveal it in a fun way. I'll be white and you'll be black and then I'll show you how I mate you. ;)
>>
>>49956628
It's impossible for Black not to get at least one free move here. There are two possible check moves, Bc2+ and Nf6+, and in either case, black could escape with Kg7, at which point it's impossible to put Black back in check in one move. White has to have some way around c4+.

Another thing to note: before we promote the pawn to queen, we have to take care of the g4 knight, move our king, or threaten f7 in one way or another. That knight could otherwise pull off a king-queen fork with Nf7+.
>>
>>49957466

Ok, let's do that. Your move
>>
>>49957760
Nf6+
>>
>>49957836

Kg7
>>
>>49957847
Nh5+
>>
>>49957877
Kg6
>>
>>49957906
Bc2+
>>
>>49957928

Kxh5
>>
>>49957977
d8=Q
>>
>>49957995

Nf7+
>>
>>49958006
Ke6
>>
>>49958015

Oh, wow, bravo, you get over to f5 and I'm stuck. Where'd you find this puzzle. This is amazing.
>>
>>49958064
Yes it's really a great puzzle. I found it on Youtube.

Here's the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUk_zWrbcsM
>>
File: 1472270780384.jpg (84KB, 399x341px) Image search: [Google]
1472270780384.jpg
84KB, 399x341px
>>49955999
None of them. The politics of competitive chess are far too retarded. Backgammon has a good competitive scene though.

>Any favorite famous chess games?
Are you referring to variant rules, games inspired by chess, or regional games similar to chess? Hnefatafl is vaguely considered chess-like, so maybe that.
>>
>>49958151
>Are you referring to variant rules, games inspired by chess, or regional games similar to chess? Hnefatafl is vaguely considered chess-like, so maybe that.

Haha no when I say games I mean specific chess games like D Byrne vs Fischer, 1956 or Kasparov vs Topalov, 1999. Chess games that are famous for some reason. Mainly because of brilliant moves.
>>
>>49958064
>>49958015
I don't get it what happens after that? And if it's some kind of trap why didn't black just make different moves?
>>
File: Sloppy slice.png (24KB, 558x536px) Image search: [Google]
Sloppy slice.png
24KB, 558x536px
>>49959136

What happens is that you're eventually pushed into a position like this, where the white king, and the combined white and black pawns hem in the black king while the white bishop heads in for the kill. There are too many angles to cover, black doesn't have the right color bishop, and the knights are too slow to cover it all.

I hadn't noticed it because I stopped analysis when I couldn't see a 5-6 move knight and bishop mate.

> And if it's some kind of trap why didn't black just make different moves?

Because if you don't make those moves, white can queen the pawn on d8, which is fatal.
>>
>>49959136
Because all the moves up to this point are either forced or already the best option for black. If black had made any other legal move white shredded him even more. In the end black's king can't move and white uses his bishop to mate him.
>>
Chess is played out. Source: computer programs are better than the best human players now.
>>
>>49959259

I suppose that's not technically true, as I could have not taken the knight on h5, allowed you to queen, and lost that way, which is probably a longer elision than the one played, but yeah, black's in quite a bit of trouble, even if it's not obvious.
>>
>>49959422
A human with computer assistance is leagues better than a human or computer alone.
>>
2110 USCF 1680 (yes, I know, it's low, working on it) FIDE checking in. Anybody want some casual games on lichess, about 25|10 or something similar, tomorrow at 3:30 PM EST?
>>
I got back to playing chess after about 10 years of not playing. Why is everyone playing Queen's pawn?
>>
About 1500 in rl I guess. If anyone likes to play: https://lichess.org/JywZYSwF
>>
>>49963858
Why not? e4 is too much theory.
>>
>>49964332
As I said in an earlier post, I could play some long time control later this afternoon, if you're still here and want a game though, just let me know.
>>
>>49965369

3 mins only, sry.
>>
>>49965673
I can play 3, have to eat breakfast soon though.
>>
>>49955999
capablanca. also, nice trips.
>>
File: 6245645666.jpg (184KB, 850x860px) Image search: [Google]
6245645666.jpg
184KB, 850x860px
What is white's best move in this position?
>>
>>49965899

https://lichess.org/F7QzMatC
>>
>>49966336

2 second look sugggests Be3, to get your bishop out of danger and keep g5 open for your knight and to control that longer diagonal. It also opens up the threat of Bb6, simultaneously opening up on his queen and a mate threat on d8 if he doesn't do something to stop you immediately.
>>
>>49966410
Only got done eating breakfast now.
https://lichess.org/85wYmtDN
>>
>>49966443
Doesn't do much after b5, no?
>>
>>49957836
What if black plays Kg6?
>>
>>49967501
You've forced him to open up another weak pawn on c6, and I don't have the attention to spare at the moment but there's possibly sac potential, he can't take the bishop without forfeiting the queen, which opens up the road to moves like Ng5.

Black only has 2 developed pieces, one of them shut in by his own pawn, the other the queen. This is exactly the time to get aggressive, so while I don't have all the lines worked out, I'm sure there's something.

>>49967899

Kg6 is very bad, because now white can play Bh5 with check. You can take the knight of course, but now white can play d8 and queen without the recourse of Nf7+, because the bishop is covering it.
>>
>>49967979
I don't disagree that Be3 is best, but there has to be a direct way, unless it came from the book "Test your ability to make the most reasoned, positional move"
>>
>>49968026

I was assuming that the position came from someone's game, not an actual puzzle book, in which case there is not necessarily a crush them in X moves continuation.
>>
>>49968049
It's clearly a tactics problem. White is too dominant for it to be someone's game, it looks like it was composed. Black is so underdeveloped that there has to be something here. Certainly not Bxf7+, but I'm sure there's something.
>>
Now that I take a closer look at it, Qd6 seems interesting. Taking the bishop's no good, Nd5 followed by, if nothing else, Nc7+, with mate threats everywhere. Black could give up the e= pawn with Bf8, but he'll be comically underdeveloped. Thoughts?
>>
Still waiting for a 3 0 match here https://lichess.org/85wYmtDN
if anybody wants
>>
>>49968207
Setting up another. https://lichess.org/lHPxlPSm
Never play in to any sort of a philidor Q exchange. It's a trap, white's lead in development is nothing.
>>
>>49955999
Cappablanca and Nakamura are my favorite players.
>>
It's funny, my average centipawn loss in those blitz games ended up just around where they are when I play 5 hour games OTB.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.