[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Giant squid attack >Ooh, it's just like in Pirates of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 11

Giant squid attack
>Ooh, it's just like in Pirates of the Caribbean
Gnomes making mechanical trinkets
>That's in WoW, anon
Any fantasy trope
>You got that from Game of Thrones

I like my players, I just wish they would consume any kind of media older than 10 years
>>
>>49948639
>Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
>Release Date (US): July 7, 2006
I don't blame you, but...
>>
>>49948690
Yeah yeah, I also just looked up WoW and it's from 2004, so I guess 15 years would be more appropriate.
>>
Setting has elves, dwarves and dragons
>Ayyy another Tolkien-inspired fantasy setting

I like my players, I just wish they would consume any kind of media older than 1000 years.
>>
Setting has a walled city
>it is just like the iliad

I like my players, I just wish they would consume any kind of media older than 2500 years.
>>
File: 1447919454181.jpg (166KB, 736x963px) Image search: [Google]
1447919454181.jpg
166KB, 736x963px
>>49948639
>Character art isn't a classic painting or a woodblock print.
I wish my players would consume media that isn't anime.

Sarcasm, if you're too retarded to tell.
>>
>>49948639
>Game of Thrones
Book came out in '96
>>
>>49948639
Any "so it's like", or "just like" comment is entirely unwelcome in my games.

Yes, I'm aware other media has applied this concept.

But by drawing specific attention to it, you're inadvertently cheapening the experience, causing the players to expect (or seek out) further coincidences, and causing pain to the GM who's running the game.

Yes, I like Bioshock.
Yes, Rapture is a cool concept.
No, I don't want you constantly shitting over me for creating a fucking underwater-world for you to explore.
Especially when it turns out to have sea-dwelling mutants in it...
One of whom has stolen heavy underwater combat armour.
>>
>>49948639

Be considerate, people just compare to what's easiest for them. I still consider currency as copper,silver,gold in all settings and one in our gaming group flip out because i say silver when in that universe it's shilling.
>>
>>49948639
>Present a setting to the players
>"oh, it's just like X!"
>sure, it is
>for a grand total of 2 sessions
>mfw
>>
>>49949157
>dm a weird world war 2 campaign
>players expect something like wolfenstein
>instead they get japanese human pillar boatsluts, soviet lamas controlling zombies and neo-pagan italians
>>
>>49949138

If they need a reference point, that's fine. But there are players who will shit up a game because once they spot a similarity, they will either assume the game is just cribbed straight from the similar material and call railroading, or get mad when the game diverges from the same.
>>
>>49949444
Or both at a fuckin once.
>>
File: multiplex-971.png (53KB, 281x334px) Image search: [Google]
multiplex-971.png
53KB, 281x334px
>>49949475

Yeah, I will never fucking get that. It's easy if it's different players having those reactions since you can just kick the ones that annoy you most. But then you'll get players who are at once unsatisfied with a story they're sure they've already heard before and pissed off when the story doesn't go the way they expect.
>>
>>49949337
>japanese human pillar boatsluts
Wait, like pillar as in pillar men, or literal pillars?
>>
>>49949337
xD SO RANDOM!
>>
>>49949613
As in buried alive inside of a boat's hull as an offering to the shintoist spirits.
>>
>>49949599
Have you perchance noticed a tendency to complain about railroading or changing things whenever they can't metagame their way to victory?
>>
>>49949138
>Be considerate, people just compare to what's easiest for them

Plebs gonna pleb.
>>
>>49949631

Depends. I've had players who've said they felt it was their duty, if they felt they were suddenly in a familiar plot, to break from it at all costs. Sometimes that was fine, but sometimes they felt like the mere act of declaring "I see where this was going" was like a free pass to radically alter things regardless of their characters' actual chances of success at a task.

So sometimes it was a matter of them getting mad that they couldn't metagame their way to victory by knowing the plot, and sometimes it was the player getting mad because consciously choosing to break from a plot didn't guarantee anything. And sometimes that was the same person.
>>
>>49949626
I misread shintoist as shitpost. I like to think we all make offerings to the shitpost spirits.
>>
>>49948639
That is why I require all prospective players to have degrees (or 4+ years relevant work experience) relating to the most ancient media (defined as 1,500 years ago or older) in which my campaign's tropes are known to have occurred.

Not only is it impossible to surprise them because it is literally their job to know the stories I'm copying, but we can all engage in masturbatory 2deep4u discussions where we lord our knowledge over that of our contemporaries as if that makes us better at consuming media products than they are.
>>
>>49948639
I go with "Nope, got it from X, just like your example did. If you're telling me I copied something, at least get the source right."
>>
>>49952448
Sure. There's no shame in using tropes. It wouldn't be a trope if it wasn't at least somewhat functional. Also, it's hard to pinpoint the source of some things, if they've been staples for so long. To use the Giant Squid Attack, I guess 18th century sailor stories? But Jules Verne definitely helped.
>>
File: 1474410675264.jpg (20KB, 438x418px) Image search: [Google]
1474410675264.jpg
20KB, 438x418px
>>49951323

I guess that works if you don't mind playing with dipshit casualfags who don't know what they're talking about.

My rules:
>All players must have intimate knowledge of works from which the game draws inspiration
>To determine this the player must submit a five page critical analysis of a set of themes I provide for each work I am using (players must choose at least two)
>Analysis must be translated into Spanish, French, and Mandarin
>All prospective players must have at least a Master's in a field relevant to the characters they want to play as well as technical knowledge of any skills they wish those characters to have
>Players must submit at least a ten-page breakdown of how their unique knowledge will contribute to the character's development and impact on the story
>Breakdown must be translated into Spanish, French, and Mandarin
>No duplicate degrees or technical qualifications
>Players must submit a twelve page double-spaced summary of the character's history, beliefs, skills, and abilities as well as provide cited sources for how this unique combination will improve the group dynamic
>Submission must be in MLA format; any deviation or error from this format is grounds for rejection
>Summary must be translated into Spanish, French, and Mandarin
>>
>>49952976
>MLA format
>not APA
It's like you don't want to game with competent people
>>
>>49952976
>nothing needs to be peer reviews by one or more competent third parties
Get a load of this pleb
Also,
>Using mandarin instead of Latin or German
Even Russian is more acceptable than that shit
>>
File: lckdo_jarmuschquote.jpg (126KB, 420x513px) Image search: [Google]
lckdo_jarmuschquote.jpg
126KB, 420x513px
>>49952567
Giant squid attack has at least six different mythical sources: Kraken (which originally had also crab traits and was the least squid-like monster); Akkorokamui; plenty of tales of people finding what we now know as giant and colossal squids; Kanaloa; Te Wheke-a-Muturangi; Koromodako.

But yes, the most likely source for western fiction must have been Jules. He was inspired by the 18th century stories himself.

I dislike the "trope" thing, cliches were already a good word for that. And serious 'tropers' seem formulaic, focused on 'originality' and superficial. The whole need to categorize everything seems odd.
>>
>>49949743
Anyone have tips on removing goats blood from an obsidian dagger?
>>
>>49955023

Tropers are what happens when casuals discover structuralism.
>>
File: Land squid.jpg (260KB, 1000x625px)
Land squid.jpg
260KB, 1000x625px
Have giant squid attacks happen on solid ground.
>>
>>49955023
>Giant squid attack has at least six different mythical sources:
Mythical-giant-squid attacks have at least one real source: Giant squid.
>>
>>49955259
>seen enough anime to know where this is going
>>
>>49956078
Yea and its countered by a sperm whale
>>
>>49949599
This tends to happen with arrogant people who is used to always be in the right (doesn't matter if they're not but they perceive it this way). They take pride in detecting what they believe to be a deficiency (in this case lack of originality) in your work and criticising it, they don't even care much about what they're complaining as long as they can present themselves as superior and more smart by disliking it or simply pointing it out. When it's revealed they were wrong, then it's when they really get mad.

You can spot this kind of people without even playing with them, easily.
>>
File: r2Fizbh.jpg (81KB, 660x495px) Image search: [Google]
r2Fizbh.jpg
81KB, 660x495px
>>49951323
>mfw this describes perfectly my current game group
>>
File: NZ070415_Colossal_Squid_01.jpg (183KB, 682x1023px) Image search: [Google]
NZ070415_Colossal_Squid_01.jpg
183KB, 682x1023px
>>49956078
You forgot the colossal squid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colossal_squid

Which >>49955023 actually said.
>plenty of tales of people finding what we now know as giant and colossal squids
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.