[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Ah me? >I for one do not enjoy the Peter Jackson movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (11KB, 183x275px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
11KB, 183x275px
>Ah me?
>I for one do not enjoy the Peter Jackson movies at all you dirty plebeians
>You see, they aren't true enough to Tolkeins works for my taste
>Of course you'd know that if you ACTUALLY read the books *scoffs*
>>
>>49944245
I mean I like both each as their own thing.

Y'know whatever skub arises in this thread down the line.

At least we can all admit that soundtrack was fuckin' dope.
>>
>>49944284
Excellent driving music
>>
>>49944284
Soundtrack for the ages right there.
>>
>>49944245
What's the point of this strawman?
>>
>>49944245
It's like with The Shining. Literal adaptation would be fucking dreadful to watch. Cinema and literature speak different languages.
>>
>>49944389
Arguing
>>
>>49944408
>It's like with The Shining. Literal adaptation would be fucking dreadful to watch

Yeah, there was a "more literal" adaptation done as a TV miniseries. And you're exactly right, it was dreadful to watch.
As bad as if they had made us sit there while Tom Bombadil hopped around and sang goofy songs for 20 minutes before LotR could get started.
>>
>>49944389

To keep his LotR shitposting streak going? OP's not got anything else going on tonight, so it's one dumb thread after another.
>>
>>49944408
That was beautiful, anon.
>>
>>49944245
Try again, this time work in how this topic pertains to traditional games
>>
File: i do not agree with you.png (84KB, 318x296px) Image search: [Google]
i do not agree with you.png
84KB, 318x296px
>>49944245
The LotR trilogy was a pretty great movie adaptation. It was able to cast off some of the weight of the worldbuilding necessary for the novels and streamline things a little. Even if it wasn't accurate to the books, it made for a good story.

The Hobbit trilogy did not feel as great and felt weighty and awkward and trying just a little too hard to be epic with not quite enough subtlety. It wasn't accurate to the book, but it did not make as good a story.
>>
>>49944777
Those trips are beautiful.
>>
>>49944284

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmj25u5mVvg
>>
>>49945134
I highly recommend the Fan Cut of the Hobbit. Four hours of the best bits dissected out of that money-trap mess of a trilogy. Also you can purchase it on disk with a custom cover that matches the covers of the LotR Extended Box Set!

Altogether you've got around thirteen hours of glorious cinema that will look great on your shelf without promoting the degradation of Hollywood.
>>
Take it to /lit/ or /tv/, this isn't a /tg/ thread
>>
>>49945196
>anon plz
>>
>>49945181

I wish I could eat food like that much of a disgusting slob.
>>
>>49944408

This is only true for people with ADHD and people who are overly attached to convention.

Don't talk like you have some kind of absolute mandate to revolve around, because you don't got shit.
>>
>>49944245
Aw yeah, excited for the Mortal Engines movie?

This is advertising, right?
>>
>>49946076
You sound mad, anon. Don't be so mad.
>>
>>49944245

Fuck Tolkien. Read Moorcock.

>>49945134

I thought the LotR movies managed to be both turgid and overblown.

I also thought that excising and shortening things like Bombadil and Pippin's time in Minas Tirith, along with a shift in the style of the language (partly dialogue, and partly because the movie obviously didn't have Tolkien's prose) changed the tone a lot, to the point where it felt a lot different to the books. That's not inherently bad (nor were the originals good in those regards) but it did mean that rather than watching LotR I often felt I was just watching a generic fantasy film with elves, orcs, dwarves and chainmail. That's not exactly appealing to me.
>>
>>49946076

See >>49944515
>>
>>49946098
>tfw didn't know about it til I read your post
Neat, hope it's better than the hobbit trilogy.
>>
>>49946177
>hurr durr i din liek it XDDDDDDD

That's the essence of the post to which you are linking me. It has no argument. It has no substance. It is essentially blogposting. There is nothing there for me to respond to except by relinking you to >>49946076

>>49946108

>>>/v/
>>
>>49944245
Everytime I want to say I dislike a movie because it isn't like the book, I think about how I adore the first how to train your dragon movie, and how wildly different it is from the book, but how both are pretty great.

However, with the Percy Jackson movie, I dislike it because it's really, REALLY close to the book, but there are enough unnecessary differences that if they just followed how the book went it would've been fantastic. now, if they loosely followed the book, like with HTTRD, but still made a good movie, then I'll enjoy it. Heck, even if just did a better job at the current book (better actors, less cliches), then I would've had a blast. In reality, I just want a good movie AND a good book that don't have to compete with which one is better because they both bring excellence to the table.

but don't freaking get me started on how badly they screwed up the movie adaptation of A Series of Unfortunate Events. I mean, they only did the first THREE OUT OF THIRTEEN books, put it all into one movie, and gave it a sappy actually undeserving happy ending that totally missed layers upon layers of lessons learned, plots to unravel and jokes to be had, and that FREAKING sucks. I'm glad they're making it a series on Netflix, because I'll actually have an excuse to use Netflix, and hopefully they won't crap on this one as well.

Now, how this directly relates to /tg/ I do not know, but I'm glad I can just vent on this stuff.
>>
>>49944531

Eh, might as well enjoy.

>>49944408

Pretty good point. There were some moments that weren't included because they clashed with the movie's tone. Hell, The Godfather had a subplot about that one guy's wife having a cavernous vagina and her whole character arc was him getting killed and her kicking around before finding a rich guy who was into her and getting her surgery to make her vagina less cavernous so they could have a fulfilling marriage.

I'm not making that up, that's in the books. Might have just detracted a bit from Don Corleone and the shit we saw on film. And as >>49944515 points out, there were parts in LotR that were rightly dropped because they were a detriment to the atmosphere the movie needed to create in order to be taken seriously.

Conversely, look at the Hobbit trilogy. I have to say the first movie was pretty cohesive and established the tone pretty well as a more light-hearted movie than LotR. But when the second rolls around it starts sucking and they start aping LotR while also introducing weird videogame shit, and by the third everything just falls apart.
>>
>>49946250

Not just me, it received terrible reviews and shit ratings.
Go ahead and watch the miniseries and tell me how much better it is than Kubrick's masterpiece. You'd be lying.
>>
>>49945328
Tolkien isn't tg related, get over it
>>
File: 1436292107888.gif (2MB, 233x131px) Image search: [Google]
1436292107888.gif
2MB, 233x131px
>>49946472
Nothing /tg/ likes is /tg/-related then.
>>
>>49946472
But D&D takes noticeable inspiration from his interpretation of various concepts. D&D is the mother of the rpg part of /tg/. Bringing him up when discussing, say, halflings/hobbits considering he wrote a fuckton about him is perfectly fine.

>>49946314
I really liked The Godfather as a kid. When I found out it had a book and I read it, that subplot really confused me. To this day I don't understand why it was there but that's just me. Also, it was the chick Sonny fucked during the wedding in the movie. The subplot is hinted at but never gets weird. Basically her and Sonny had a long-standing affair because his horse dick was the only thing that could satisfy her. Sonny's wife was even okay with this arrangement because it hurt for Sonny to fuck her.
>>
>>49945177
______You are beautiful.
>>
>>49944245
I feel the same way about the ASoIaF novels and Game of Thrones.

They're different works. They diverge at points, and "it's not like the book" is somehow mistaken for a criticism of quality by too many fans.
>>
>>49944245
BOTH

ARE

FINE
>>
>>49946472
There are a dozen threads every day about the Warhammer universe that have nothing to do with the game itself. We should get all that shit off the board.
>>
>>49946900
But it is criticism. The show is fanfiction that alternates between grimderp and wish fulfillment, butchering not only the book characters and plotlines, but being fucking inconsistent within it's own continuity too.
Also, people who like show Tyrion and show Daenerys are literally fucking Reddit. As are those who hate on Sansa.
>>
>>49947477
>carrying what Reddit or anyone else thinks of something

>"the show is fanfiction"
>GRRM is literally one of the writers of the show

Aside from being retarded and wrong not on sansa or deny though, sansa is great, the things you said are criticisms. "Not being the books" is not a criticism. See the difference?
>>
>>49947504
Except when you understand that, generally, people will hold the original above an adaptation. Not being like the books is a criticism in that the show is not accurately portraying the book and whatever ideas it's trying to represent.

Though at this point I don't really like either the show or the book series.
>>
When did it become fedoracore to say the Hobbit trilogy was fucking ass
>>
>>49947540
Fedora is and always was something you don't like.
>>
>>49947531
>generally, people will hold the original above an adaptation
Which is wrong. It never set out to be nor claimed to be a 100% faithful adaptation, and almost all great adaptations of other works have to change things around to get over practical concerns of production or translate the intended message to a different medium.

It's one thing to attempt to portray something in a book and fail due to incompetent writing, acting, directing etc. It's another to consciously change an element of what you're adapting for artistic or practical reasons. The head screenwriters of the show do a lot of the show's commentary tracks, and they talk at length in some episodes about what they change and why. It's usually due to things like actors not being available for certain things, or budget concerns, or due to something from the books not having originally been received well.

GRRM also does commentary at least once a season, and he generally praises the changes, for instance he outright stated book!Shae is a less interesting character than show!Shae.
>>
>>49944515
>le tom bombadil sucks cock meme

get your grimdark ass back to 40k general
>>
>>49946813
>Sonny's dick
I forgot how fucking weird the book was about that shit. It just kept coming up for literally no reason.

People who think adaptations shouldn't pragmatically adapt their source material are fucking retarded.
>>
>>49947569
I'm not saying that what you're saying is wrong, I'm talking about general usage of the idea of not being like the book and how people perceive things. Sure, you might change something in a tv adaptation of a book, because a tv show will call for a different pacing, or maybe an internal monologue might work better as a soliloquy, or something between characters. But it does change things, and it would change things away from how the author intended it for the medium he was working with. And most people will view that as a 'for worse' instead of a 'for better.'
>>
>>49947622
Some people see that as always worse, and those people are wrong. It's plain to see and easily explained that there are often very good reasons to change something from the source.
>>
>>49944389
Master baiting.
>>
>>49947644
You keep arguing about the reasons, where what people will often get mad over are the results.
>>
>>49947803
I'm just saying those people who get mad about the results are wrong, or at least unfair universalize a complaint that should be specific (i.e. "This specific change made this part worse" vs. "They should never change anything")
>>
>>49944389
>>49944511
no, attention. it's always about the (You)s.
>>
>>49944245
Bitch, I've read all of the Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit, the Silmarillion, AND Children of Hurin. Come at me, bro.
>>
File: autism.jpg (28KB, 300x434px) Image search: [Google]
autism.jpg
28KB, 300x434px
>>49944245
Nice bait but even so
>LotR movies leave too much out
>Hobbit movies add too much in
pic related
>>
>>49947606

>lousy reading comprehension

Tom Bombadil is fine on the page, but is an excellenct example of how things that work on the page can't just be plopped onto the screen unchanged, or they won't work anymore.
If you made audiences sit through 20 minutes of some dude hopping around singing goofy songs, people would be getting up to leave.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.