[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>A sprawling city that has prospered for hundreds of years

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: 1615645116.jpg (127KB, 498x573px) Image search: [Google]
1615645116.jpg
127KB, 498x573px
>A sprawling city that has prospered for hundreds of years happen to be built around a slumbering Tarrasque
>>
>>49937310
>Salt and Bone.

I read some of his world building on the website. It's not for me, but I'll try it if you bring something good to eat.
>>
This has been discussed at length over several threads, Podcasts, forums, etc. It's a novel idea, but no one ever actually does it because it's always something you run for higher level adventurers, or it doesn't quite fit the setting. Even if someone did do it, it's unlikely that we'll get too significant of a story from it.

Now, finding a way to add a level of depth to Titanic, unintelligent monsters besides being Huge and Nigh-unkillabale, that's something I'd love to see.
>>
That's precisely why I always carry around a genie with exactly one wish.
>>
File: 1411511864200.png (146KB, 375x424px) Image search: [Google]
1411511864200.png
146KB, 375x424px
>>49937310
>Around
YOU DON'T BUILD YOUR SPRAWLING METROPOLIS AROUND A GIGANTIC, CIVILIZATION DESTROYING BEAST YOU FUCKING RETARD. YOU BUILD IT -ON TOP- OF THE MONSTER.

YOUR CITY IS EFFECTIVELY IMMORTAL. IF SOMEONE MESSES WITH YOU, GO DOWN TO THE "FORBIDDEN DUNGEON" AND FUCKING POKE THE TARRASQUE IN HIS NECK. HE WAKES UP, IS PISSED AND DESTROYS YOUR ENEMIES.
>HURF DURF B-BUT MUH RISKS
THE FUCK IS HE GONNA DO, SCRATCH HIS BACK WITH THOSE STUBBY ARMS OF HIS? FUCK NO. JUST WAIT 'TILL HE RUNS OUT OF BREATH AND EVERYTHING WILL BE FINE.
>B-BUT THAT COULD TAKE YEARS
THE FUCK DO YOU THINK GRANARIES ARE FOR, IDIOT?
>>
>>49937762
What if he decides to go for a swim?
>>
>>49937310
I remember there was a big setting building thread on the rpg.net forums about a city that did that intentionally. Having an infinitely-regenerating apocalypse beast trapped under your city makes for a great source of materials to make magic items with, so the city wound up becoming a major economic power.
>>
>>49937867

It would make great drama if it woke up leading to a big-ass campaign but I don't even know how one could even take down a Tarrasque at the start of an adventure.
>>
>>49937794
Why would a Terrasque go into the only part of a D&D world scarier than the immediate vicinity of itself? Even if it's immortal everyone knows that water is bad, the phrase "Fuck the ocean" exists for a reason, a reason that is only heightened when Cthuloid shipwreckers exist.
>>
>>49937892
The beast wasn't taken down at the start of the adventure: the beast was already taken down as a part of the setting. Long ago an army of wizards and warriors lodged immovable-rod-harpoons the size of telegraph poles through the beast's extremities until it was completely pinned to the ground, unable to move in any way but to struggle.

The Tarrasque is butchered (by very heavily enchanted cleavers of enormous size) for the wealth of it's flesh: Meat that never spoils and can feed an empire, hide that makes self-repairing armor (which extends healing abilities to the wearer), It's blood is used to irrigate the land, and it's bones have been chiseled into everything from structural materials to jewelry.

Except not all is well in the city.

Decades of consuming tarrasque flesh has started to change the population... it's struggles have come with a renewed vigor and increased violence of late. The harpoons were all set with secret words of activation, passed down over the ages through the family lines of the original adventurers who impaled the beast to begin with, are now at risk as the families grow old and corrupt in their decadence. And the beast still rumbles as it's flesh is carved away.
>>
>>49938043
Not bad. A bit contrived but not bad.
>>
File: Shadow of the Colossus.jpg (886KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Shadow of the Colossus.jpg
886KB, 1600x1200px
>>49937411
>finding a way to add a level of depth to Titanic, unintelligent monsters besides being Huge and Nigh-unkillabale, that's something I'd love to see.

pic related?
>>
>>49938859
YES.
>>
>>49937908
What if he rolls over
>>
>>49937310
Expect to get a hundred angry replies for some reason Tarrasque threads really weirdly argumentative with idiots claiming nothing can beat their beloved tarrasque dad and other idiots who think their clever by posting in depth arguments why overpowered anime character number 87 can totally kick tarqs ass.
>>
>>49937762
tarrasques aren't big enough for a city, and can also fucking roll, and swim. They also have essentially infinite stamina.
>>
>>49938859
AGRO!
>>
>>49937310
Doesn't it wake up every hundred years even?
>>
>>49937411
>huge unkillable creatures

The worms from Dune
Creatures with cities built on them intentionally
Creatures large enough to facilitate macro ecosystems on them
Creatures large enough to cause disasters thousands of miles away inadvertently (like sleeping and blocking a major river or something)

There are a few
>>
>The island wakes up
Have you ever seen it done /tg/?
>>
>>49941022
Kinda. I went fishing a lot while my main group was looking for a ship-wrecker, and I eventually managed to roll right to catch it.
A couple of my friends decided to go fishing after we defeated that monster and started heading back. A wood-elf ranger in our party rolled just right to catch a dragon turtle, and it lifted our ship on its carapace, threatening to sink us into the elemental dimension of water.
We had to divert, using a map I looted from another monster, to find treasure so we could satisfy it.
>>
File: img000002.png (377KB, 883x1400px) Image search: [Google]
img000002.png
377KB, 883x1400px
I'm more or less ripping of Gash Bell's Faudo Arc in my game. The players are going inside a giant sleeping crab and hopefully killing it before it is awoken by BBEG and destroys the world.
>>
>>49940995
>Shai Hulud
>Unkillable
>>
>>49941476
eh, close enough, these aren't exactly goat-level anon
>>
>>49937310
>a slumbering Tarrasque
>a
"i now pronounce you tarrasque and tarrasque"
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.