[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Make strange "utopian" society that is a strange

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 7

File: 1449334627622.jpg (564KB, 1550x859px) Image search: [Google]
1449334627622.jpg
564KB, 1550x859px
>Make strange "utopian" society that is a strange blend of corporate communism and laissez faire capitalism
>The populous has signed over all of their rights from privacy to speech and religion in order to live in this safe and stable society
>Countries no longer even have borders, cities with industrial bases have been completely replaced ethnically with lower wage foriegners
>The tippy top political elites are de facto nobility with so much wealth that the average person can no longer conceive of it
>Things have gone "clearly" tyrannical where the nobility manufacture fear to increase their power, and wage endless war
>Campaign plan is to fight against this, futile or not, go down swinging and with a bunch of explosions along the way

>Players unanimously agree that the tyranny would be worth it to live in such a society
>>
File: 1446708689983.jpg (5KB, 93x185px) Image search: [Google]
1446708689983.jpg
5KB, 93x185px
>>49935869
>>Make strange "utopian" society that is a strange blend of corporate communism and laissez faire capitalism
Explain further.
>>
Sounds like you have boring players.
>>
>>49935934
>cyberpunk europe, after apocalyptic war
>governments collapsed, Guilds rose
>Guild Members have Guild Accounts which have all of their wealth
>As a Guild Member, you have access to free food (of the lowest quality : ie yeast paste)
>You have an Apartment Credit, which isn't an actual apartment, but the ability to check out an apartment in any Guild Apartment Building
>ie you can pack up and move across the continent, swipe a card, press a button, and start living there
>The Guild Labor Board is an online website that posts all proximal labor requests within the Guild
>The Guilds are near omnipresent monopolies, completely self-sufficient unto themselves
>As long as you're certified, you can show up and do any job in the Guild in order to get Credits
>The Guilds charge no taxes, just skim profit off your labor

To put it simply, everything has gone the way of Uber. Sign your life away to a Guild, and everything will work out under Big Brother's care.

As long as you don't get caught up in a false flag attack and marked as dead, which would get your Guild Account deleted.
>>
>>49935869
I remember in one thread where NEETs were defending their desire to live in Brave New World.
>>
File: 1420027177973.jpg (31KB, 338x310px) Image search: [Google]
1420027177973.jpg
31KB, 338x310px
>>49935869
>corporations
>laissez-faire capitalism
>communism
>implying private corporations and laissez-faire capitalism exist under communism
>nobility
>a hereditary title belonging to a noble class
>implying hereditary titles exist under communism
>>
>>49936077
So it's communistic in the sense that nobody owns anything personally? It's all based on a corporate rent system?
>>
>>49936112
Are you implying that Capitalism doesn't create a noble class?

>>49936142
As well as the essentially gaurenteed employment if you're willing to work, and the capacity to live on the dole if you don't.
>>
>>49936158
How are human rights handled? Because I can see with the welfare and ready employment how this COULD be enticing.

Not enticing enough for me to WANT to live in an authoritarian hellhole, but still, you should make the downsides more prominent.
>>
>>49935869
I don't know whether those economic terms describe what you're presenting correctly, but the important part is the corporations produce everything, and in exchange they dictate how their workers live?
As long as people are provided for, someone with no extreme opinions would find it easy to hand over all of their rights. I don't agree with it entirely, for sure, but I can understand why people would do it.
>Don't have to worry about going hungry or lawlessness ever again, so long as you keep your head down
>Dissenting opinions are easily crushed, so you don't have to think about your own personal beliefs, saving you a lot of anxiety
>The corporations provide defense, so you'll never have to fear for your life
>Why worry about being excellent when you can be secure
It's the alluring mediocrity afforded of the modern age.
>>49936077
As long as it works, it gives people who follow it a massive incentive (their livelihood) to protect it, and there are ideologies that will spring up to defend it if it's ever argued against.
Also, depending on what school of thought you stick to, it can actually be considered ideal. The real problems with it are that there's no way to express an opinion that dissents with the government's, rise or drop in social status, or change policies.
>>
>>49935869
>>49936228
That's called a corporatocracy. Nothing to do with either communism or capitalism per se.
>>
>>49935869
Personally I would have the pc's playing as part of the 'outcasts' ie. people who have lost their guilder cert or never had one trying to over throw what they see as a corrupt society, think the sewer dwelling people/under ground from the movie demolition man
>>
File: huxleyrip.png (84KB, 791x455px) Image search: [Google]
huxleyrip.png
84KB, 791x455px
"My dear young friend," said Mustapha Mond, "civilization has absolutely no need of nobility or heroism. These things are symptoms of political inefficiency. In a properly organized society like ours, nobody has any opportunities for being noble or heroic. Conditions have got to be thoroughly unstable before the occasion can arise. Where there are wars, where there are divided allegiances, where there are temptations to be resisted, objects of love to be fought for or defended–there, obviously, nobility and heroism have some sense. But there aren't any wars nowadays. The greatest care is taken to prevent you from loving any one too much. There's no such thing as a divided allegiance; you're so conditioned that you can't help doing what you ought to do. And what you ought to do is on the whole so pleasant, so many of the natural impulses are allowed free play, that there really aren't any temptations to resist. And if ever, by some unlucky chance, anything unpleasant should somehow happen, why, there's always soma to give you a holiday from the facts. And there's always soma to calm your anger, to reconcile you to your enemies, to make you patient and long-suffering. In the past you could only accomplish these things by making a great effort and after years of hard moral training. Now, you swallow two or three half-gramme tablets, and there you are. Anybody can be virtuous now. You can carry at least half your morality about in a bottle. Christianity without tears–that's what soma is."

>1/2
>>
>>49935869
Sounds like Anarco-Capitalism. Everyone has voluntarily signed over everything (that side-steps the NAP) and no one wants to voluntarily leave because the guilds both control the media to scaremonger and actually do provide some measure of prosperity.
>>
File: Karl Marxism.jpg (474KB, 1202x1102px) Image search: [Google]
Karl Marxism.jpg
474KB, 1202x1102px
>>49936158
>Are you implying that Capitalism doesn't create a noble class?

In the sense of a titled nobility, not it doesn't. It creates a ruling elite, but that's not the same as a nobility.
>>
>>49936463
>2/2
"But the tears are necessary. Don't you remember what Othello said? 'If after every tempest came such calms, may the winds blow till they have wakened death.' There's a story one of the old Indians used to tell us, about the Girl of Mátaski. The young men who wanted to marry her had to do a morning's hoeing in her garden. It seemed easy; but there were flies and mosquitoes, magic ones. Most of the young men simply couldn't stand the biting and stinging. But the one that could–he got the girl."

"Charming! But in civilized countries," said the Controller, "you can have girls without hoeing for them, and there aren't any flies or mosquitoes to sting you. We got rid of them all centuries ago."

The Savage nodded, frowning. "You got rid of them. Yes, that's just like you. Getting rid of everything unpleasant instead of learning to put up with it. Whether 'tis better in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, or to take arms against a sea of troubles and by opposing end them … But you don't do either. Neither suffer nor oppose. You just abolish the slings and arrows. It's too easy."
>>
>>49936507
It was just a linguistic shortcut

Also nepotism replicates legal heredity
>>
File: It is 3 minutes to midnight.png (116KB, 958x682px) Image search: [Google]
It is 3 minutes to midnight.png
116KB, 958x682px
>>49936463
>>49936519
Thankfully there's no risk of us creating a pain-free world at this stage in human history.
>>
>>49936607
>It was 2 minutes to midnight in 1953
Humanity will find a way, if only because we're too stubborn and selfish to quit.
>>
File: 1453301540583.jpg (24KB, 276x285px) Image search: [Google]
1453301540583.jpg
24KB, 276x285px
>>49936607
>climate change
This is still a thing? I thought you guys would get over this already.
>>
>>49936569
>It was just a linguistic shortcut

Fair enough m8 but I'd call it a "ruling class" or "ruling elite" just in case there's a nitpicker like me around. And I'd drop mention of communism - sounds more like a one-party authoritarian state, which can be communist but judging by the existence of private corporations and laissez-faire economics probably isn't. Unless you're describing a modern China type scenario, but even they still have a mercantilist economic system rather than laissez-faire capitalism.
>>
>>49936677
Not everybody is American educated.
>>
>>49936507
Yeah, ruling elite is nobility without the good upbringing and sense of duty towards the people they own.
>>
>>49936701
Its certainly authoritarian, but there are multiple guilds all abiding a written constituition to govern external trade and property rights, so I wouldn't consider it a one-party state
>>
You need to expand further. What you just said sounds pretty nice, but then you literally have to GRIMDARK it up.

Maybe there are constant wars of expansion.

Entire apartment complexes 'liquidated' because some people had other ideas and they had to be sure.

Go full Bioshock, maybe there is a privileged science class that goes out and performs dangerous experiments on people.

Heck, make it thw government pumping drugs to keep the populace under control.

Read 'The Jungle', an old book about how laissez faire capitalism can be efficient but not worth it.

There is literally a price to everything until we can start mining the asteroids around us regularly.
>>
>>49935869
>The populous has
>lower wage foriegners

Thread saged and hidden; english language board implies knowledge of english should be mandatory.
>>
>>49937135
>english language board implies knowledge of english should be mandatory.
Hello Pot, my name's Kettle.

>implying computers innately recognize Latin and doesn't want to correct populus to populous
>>
>>49935869
Maybe that's cause you unwittingly described America there and you're the only one who hasn't realized it somehow...unless you're baiting.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.