[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have been invited into a group that are developing a new

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: wtfdndnew.jpg (97KB, 456x583px) Image search: [Google]
wtfdndnew.jpg
97KB, 456x583px
So I have been invited into a group that are developing a new rpg to go onto the market and I have been asked to give some feedback on the game and its themes. The game seems to be a generic steampunk style game but the creator has decided the game is very gender focused

in his words "the game will have a mechanism which "rewards" female characters in some way. Is it correct or desirable for the game to almost treat the genders as two seperate races (like dwarves and elves) with different inherent abilities and dispositions (or is that actually reductive)?

I have been GMing RPGs of all sorts for 35 years and I have seen many girls and women take on the roles of male PCs, but far fewer men do the same with female PCs. I'd love to create a game that somehow made me (a chap, don't you know) feel compelled to play a female character, but maybe it is my shortcoming that I don't do so more often, and not the game's responsibility at all?"

I think its a pretty bad idea but I am not sure how to tell him without triggering him, could you help a player out?
>>
File: 1475709962664.png (40KB, 290x367px) Image search: [Google]
1475709962664.png
40KB, 290x367px
Could you post some examples of what they are doing? It sounds like their heart is in the right place, but I agree that they might be going about it the wrong way. Without examples though it's hard to say.

>maybe it is my shortcoming that I don't do so more often, and not the game's responsibility at all?"

It's not really a shortcoming since there is no sort of checklist that needs crossed off for what kind of characters you play. As long as your group is on board, you could play Urist McBeardaxe ever single session, and it wouldn't be a moral failing on your part.
>>
>>49926316
Just tell it to him straight. Something tells me he's got his head so far up his own ass that he won't listen to you either way.

Assuming this is an actual thing at all, of course.
>>
>>49926445
as of right now its all in the air. The person in charge wants to get a meeting in at some point but I think this topic is a bit of a sensitive one and I worry if I sate this I will be pretty much ostracized from the local gaming scene
>>
>>49926486
Preface your critiques with kind words, ask him if if he really wants your honest opinion.
Key questions include; what mechanical benefits, why are you doing this and is this your fetish.
>>
>>49926316
I don't see a moral problem with it or anything since people should be able to make the game they want to make, but it will have consequences. First and foremost, people will be turned off from the game for having stuff like that. Secondly, no one will play a man if being a woman is advantageous.
>>
File: Invited To Fuck My Ass.jpg (58KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
Invited To Fuck My Ass.jpg
58KB, 704x480px
>in his words "the game will have a mechanism which "rewards" female characters in some way
>>
>>49926617
This.

Making females objectively better than males is fine as long as he's okay with triggering all the neckbeards, giving freebies to powergamers and having a player base that is >= 90% SJWs.
>>
>>49926316
Maybe he meant "feels rewarding for" female characters? Not like "you have a vagina, have +10 character points", more like "you passed the Bechtel test, as a gamer". Maybe the designer wants a mechanic that makes women enjoy the game experience.
>>
Sexual dimorphism may not be PC but it's real in the IRL so who cares. However, it's hard to judge what you mean without specific examples. If you mean that gender is going to be a big part of the game all by itself then it's hard to see how that game will be successful. Whether you mean favoring men over women or the other way around, those are both pretty niche ideas. Few people will play a game to feel bad about themselves or about others.

Few people = some people like to be whipped in the ass, so there's always a niche for that kind of thing.
>>
>>49927528

I got it. You give characters Anti Privilege Points that refresh at the start of the scene that can be used to reroll dice or change some part of the scene by adding in a small detail like a bridge is particularly rickety or you bump into a dropped torch in a dark cave.

A a white, able bodied male you have 0 APP. You don't get any neat benefits, but you have working limbs and society generally likes you.

Meanwhile a wheelchair bound trans Women of Color gets 4 APP to spend. Various members of society do not like you, and your gimp ass legs make adventuring hard, but hot damn can you bend the narrative to make sure you come out ok.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.