[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you ever found a suitable moral alignment system that you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 9

File: 1466567220435.png (648KB, 900x720px) Image search: [Google]
1466567220435.png
648KB, 900x720px
Have you ever found a suitable moral alignment system that you find to be a superior replacement to D&D's chart? Other than no system at all
>>
File: Gygax's Guide to Alignment.png (375KB, 640x450px) Image search: [Google]
Gygax's Guide to Alignment.png
375KB, 640x450px
Single axis. Alignment is not a descriptor of your character's behavior per se, but which side of a cosmic war he has aligned himself with, or not in the case of neutrals.
>>
In transhumanist settings you could either replace the law vs chaos with transhuman vs human or have it occupy a third axis entirely. Other than that though, the alignment system is okay as long as you use it as a guide and not a strict rulebook.
>>
You could have optimistic vs cynical in a party of all good teammates. After all, usually you want to save the world or something, so it makes sense for everyone on the team to be good, so its better to replace the good vs evil with how your character views the fight against evil.
>>
File: colour pie.png (115KB, 266x266px) Image search: [Google]
colour pie.png
115KB, 266x266px
I found MTG's color pie works great in place of alignment, but only works for players who play Magic.
The advantage is that each color is more of a philosophy than a morality, so it leave the morality up to interpretation, while still giving a solid descriptor of your character, and a mechanic for certain spells to work off of.
>>
File: 1476322883991.jpg (52KB, 720x566px) Image search: [Google]
1476322883991.jpg
52KB, 720x566px
>>49923123

>What Would DGG do?
>>
File: Pepper.jpg (232KB, 645x831px) Image search: [Google]
Pepper.jpg
232KB, 645x831px
>>49923895
>No Dr Thunder
>>
>>49926451
>>
>>49923123
Yep. There are three axis:
>Passion vs. Reason
>Duty vs. Freedom
>Charity vs. Egoism
For example, a character devoted to Passion, Freedom, and Egoism might be a starving artist obsessed with their work, a muckraking journalist determined to expose an 'evil' corporation, or a self-proclaimed freedom fighter 'liberating' towns from a tyrannical regime.
>>
>>49923123
Magical Realm Allignments

Loli Trap Bara

Milf Shemale Twink

Granny Futa Alpha
>>
>>49923123
Your mistake is thinking alignment is moral in the first place.
>>
>>49926451
It always killed me that Pibb was the one flunkie.
>>
>>49928966
Mr Sipp didn't make the cut either.
>>
File: Alignments.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Alignments.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49923123
Yes, Palladium's. If you take the numbered lists as mere guidelines (as opposed to hard-and-fast rules) for the overall concept, it works like a charm.
>>
>>49923848
Seconding this. Color pie is good.
>>
>>49923848
What are these philosophies, exactly?
>>
>>49923525
If there absolutely had to be a system for modeling alignments I'd use single axis yes. I wonder why it's law and chaos though, as opposed to good and evil
>>
File: 1472050285076.jpg (186KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
1472050285076.jpg
186KB, 960x540px
>>49923525
I think binary makes a lot more sense in regards to a cosmic struggle, because it's typically that one side is good and the other evil and any neutral participants are essentially evil in the grand scheme of things. But, that's not to say that you can't switch sides, in the manner of Elric who was caught in a conflict far beyond his understanding and would serve chaos while fighting against chaos while wielding an embodiment of chaos and then killing champions of chaos before destroying the enemies of chaos before killing the masters of chaos and then inadvertently furthering the goals of chaos but succeeding in undoing their plans in the final hour, all just to ultimately fall to chaos at the last moment.

Leaving no space for neutrality sort of forces the people who might be neutral to either pick a side or flicker between one extreme to the next.
>>
>>49931691
Look at the image.
>>
I still don't understand the difference between Neutral Evil and Chaotic Neutral.
>>
>>49926574
This... actually doesn't sound dumb.
>>
>>49933553

Ideally a Chaotic Neutral person will avoid actually killing someone unless it's a do or die situation. Murder is generally a good way to get a lot of attention drawn on yourself, and CN people thrive while under the radar.

Neutral Evil characters generally like to impose power over people who threaten or disagree with them rather than just avoid them. They have much less qualms with killing someone they don't like just because they want to. They're also actually Evil, interested in harming others for their own game. Chaotic Neutral types are just pragmatic.

Think of it this way. The Penguin is Neutral Evil, and Catwoman is Chaotic Neutral.
>>
>>49931627
In a nutshell, White is Law, Blue is Control, Black is Selfishness, Red is Chaos, and Green is Nature. All of them are much deeper than single-word descriptions, and some colors are naturally allied and opposed to others. What makes the system interesting is that the colors can combine to form new philosophies.

For example White and Black (normally "enemy" colors) can combine to represent a philosophy that elevates an exclusive group above all others, or moderates amorality with a code of law.
>>
>>49934049
I think the term "chaotic" can be confusing to some people. I think the lawful-chaotic spectrum is better looked at from the point of freedom, ie: how willing the character is to give up their own freedoms for the sake of duty. Most people just see it and assume it pertains to spontaneity and nothing else.
>>
>>49923123
Self interest and selfishness encompasses a lot of what we consider good and evil in our day to day lives, so i'd probably switch good and evil with those, the chaos law thing works well enough though.
>>
>>49926574
Seconding >>49933560

I wasn't actually expecting reasonable answers, I went in this thread to gaze at the pointless shitfest they always devolve into. But this, this is fine.
>>
>>49934203
Yeah, could anon maybe point out where he got that three-axis chart from? I feel with just those few small changes it opens up a much more easily interpreted and broader spectrum of alignments.
>>
>>49923123

C'mon, Fire isn't 'Lawful'. Much better as Chaotic Evil. Lightning is fine for the slot but Fire is more iconic, and impactful. Lawful Evil should be Frost or an Avalanche or Winter or something.

Disease breaks the theme of the rest. I don't know the best fit but I'm thinking floods or earthquakes or volcanoes - fairly chaotic but more restrained than a wildfire.
>>
>>49933553
Neutral Evil is self centered. All they care is for their own gain and willing to do anything no matter how amoral it is. Emphasis on being amoral and selfish.

Chaotic Neutral on the other hand is purely whimsical. Their actions are those done on whim or specifically uncaring for any order or rules set for him, but a CN character should not be malevolent in his actions.

Consider a CN war god against a NE war god. A CN war god would most likely just fight for the sake of fighting, for the glory of the battle and view fighting weaker people and innocents as pointless, if not dishonorable. other than that any fighting is A-OK in his books. A NE god of war would most likely be about winning no matter what, including the slaughter of innocents and backstabbing allies for their own gain.
>>
File: 1466266822733.jpg (18KB, 270x320px) Image search: [Google]
1466266822733.jpg
18KB, 270x320px
Isn't the real issue with the alignment system just that it's usually affected by 'actions', not intentions?

Like, if you kill someone that's ALWAYS bad, even if you had a 'good' reason for it, and similar stuff. Did I get this right? Or is it still broken, even if you look at the character's intention, not his actions?
>>
File: 1477015783937.png (277KB, 1340x2230px) Image search: [Google]
1477015783937.png
277KB, 1340x2230px
>>49923123
>useful greentext from last alignment thread
>>
>>49934962
>lawful means rigid and chaotic means spontaneous
Nope, it's fucking useless
>>
>>49936090
>Note the key word in all of that is "generally".
>He didn't read the rest of the posts
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.