[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: We create a setting that encapsulates everything wrong with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 41

File: 1420369551366.jpg (171KB, 709x618px) Image search: [Google]
1420369551366.jpg
171KB, 709x618px
I'll start.

>steampunk technology
>monstergirls
>airships
>every human society is uniformly ethnically diverse
>every nonhuman society is completely homogeneous
>orcs are noble savages (who still kill a fuckton of people on the reg but it's okay because they're 'misunderstood')
>goblin shortstacks
>demons are noble savages (who still kill a fuckton of people on the reg but it's okay because they're 'misunderstood')
>angels are dicks who have no love for humanity or uncaring robots
>"moral shades of grey" (though humans who don't like monsters are always unambiguously evil no ifs and or buts)
>pauldrons
>illustrations that ape Joe Mad's style
>>
File: modern elf.jpg (387KB, 724x1023px) Image search: [Google]
modern elf.jpg
387KB, 724x1023px
>>49920656
yes anon i agree with everything you said
>>
>stop liking things I don't like
>>
File: 1465834134251.jpg (48KB, 572x718px) Image search: [Google]
1465834134251.jpg
48KB, 572x718px
>>49920656
>>every human society is uniformly ethnically diverse
>>every nonhuman society is completely homogeneous
Yes, this right here.
>>
>Pauldrons
You take that back you son of a bitch
>>
>>49920656
>>"moral shades of grey" (though humans who don't like monsters are always unambiguously evil no ifs and or buts)
Orcs at good boys, they dindu nuffin.
>>
>>49920656
>Gender Theory especially in per-industrial societies.
>>
>>49920656
Well yeah, that's what makes them nonhuman races.

For the rest of those, can you name a setting with them that's not fucking Warcraft?
>>
>>49920656
There's nothing wrong with goblin shortstacks.
>>
File: CetIVNd.png (35KB, 315x320px) Image search: [Google]
CetIVNd.png
35KB, 315x320px
>>49920656
>goblin shortstacks

How is this a bad thing again?
>>
No mysticism and no mystery about magic. Everything is solved by lol magic as a cure all for everything.
>>
>>49920656
>I DON'T LIKE THINGs
>So I'm going to make a thread that passive aggressively mocks everyone who does

OP is a faggot
>>
Overpowered mages vs underpowered fighters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbzUfV3_JIA
>>
>>49920917
Bluntly calling something shit isn't "passive".
>>
But OP, I *like* Eberron.
>>
>>49920656
> pauldrons
Whats wrong with pauldrons?
>>
>>49920978
You can't move your god damned shoulders.
>>
>>49920656
>Every town has cash money, voting rights, free education and an organised justice system but monarchy and peasants are still a thing somehow,
>Every blacksmith is an empowered woman
>Gunpowder exists but an industrial revolution never happens because reasons.
>steampunk technology in the capitol.
>No mention of toilets, presumably everyone is born without an asshole.
>Orks are noble warriors with gender equality.
>Gay marriage is AOK and never leads to inheritance disputes among monarchs.
>wizards are usually moe anime girls.
>Elves are usually long eared anime girls
>Drow elves are misunderstood.
>Every village has a tavern and multi level dungeon
>An ancient evil has awoken.
>No one ever mentions sex, every npc is an asexual robot dispensing fetch quests.
>Dragons are friendly and can be tamed.
>>
Kingdoms behaving more like modern states than medieval societies or magocracies.
>>
> all the magic shit is actually ancient ayy tech
> game world is a MMO
>>
>>49921017
>Drow elves are misunderstood
There's nothing wrong with this.
>>
>>49921017
>Every town has cash money, voting rights, free education and an organised justice system but monarchy and peasants are still a thing somehow,
I hate this one

Feudalism is interesting, and no one fucking uses it beyond token titles and classes.
>>
File: vimesy.jpg (183KB, 380x590px) Image search: [Google]
vimesy.jpg
183KB, 380x590px
You nailed it.

Just posting the best character from the best "modern" fantasy setting, that actually managed to deconstruct a lot of that crap.
>>
>>49920656
>monstergirls
Examples?
>>
>>49921017
Gunpowder doesn't cause industrial revolution. We've been shooting things way before it happened. Alternative technology settings are fun if done right anyway. What's wrong with a world where humanity somehow skipped some technology because reasons.
>>
>>49921017
>No mention of toilets
Excretion is a waste of narrative and bringing it up is just gross. Toilets/designated streets exist, but are not brought up because it is a waste of narrative that negatively affects the lore.
>>
>>49921017

Laws did exist and there were peasants and villages that were smart enough to exploit them. That said, it was pretty chaotic. Prisons did not exist as today, their function was to make sure that the criminal stayed in the town for the duration of the trial, not to punish him. Also, you had to PAY for your stance in prison. The more that you pay, the better the cell. If you couldn't pay, you were allowed to beg on the street.
>>
>>49921017
>>Every town has cash money, voting rights, free education and an organised justice system but monarchy and peasants are still a thing somehow,

Doesn't this describe several modern European countries?
>>
>>49921124
Keyword: MODERN.
>>
>>49921107

You can force the players to pay for better place by mentioning the awful conditions of the place. Also introduce diseases.
>>
>>49921124
Peasants aren't really a thing
>>
>>49921149
Yeah, they're called sheeple now.
>>
>>49921048
Nothing wrong with redeeming individual drow, but their society as a whole should be absolutely horrible.
>>
>>49920656

Down with pauldrons.

Up with gauntlets.
>>
>>49921158
That's not really peasantry unless I am missing some other definition of sheeple
>>
>>49921186
I propose capes.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg3YDN5gTX0
>>
>>49921187
naw i was trying some dumb ass bait. ill leave now and back with better material.
>>
>>49921205
With or without hoods? This is important!
>>
>>49921017
>Dragons are friendly and can be tamed.
Dragons are friendly and have their own society that's way more sophisticated than Humans, it only looks like they're monsters living in solitary. They never do anything wrong, and in fact any scenario invariably ends up with their seemingly nefarious deeds being good for all parties involved and the players are assholes for trying to stop it.
>>
>>49921107
You dont need to make it a focus I just think its weird how most tavern maps have no bathroom and most stables are located right in the kings castle as if the horses never shit.
>>
>setting is some grimdark medieval Europe where everything is shitty for reasons
>everyone is a scarred peasant with some horrible crippling disease, a rusty knife, and a bucket to their name
>everyone backstabs each other all of the time for no real reason
>elves are child eating forest savages in order to be "authentic"
>orcs are child raping plains savages in order to be "authentic"
>dorfs are dorfs
>magic only comes in 2spooky4u Lovecraft ripoff variety
>>
>>49920938
No but trying to disguise the fact that you're throwing a tantrum over people refusing to stop liking what you don't like as a world building thread is.
>>
>>49921256
>tavern maps have no bathroom
I always just thought they usually either had outhouse type set ups, or used chamber pots or something like that rather than have dedicated restrooms.
>>
File: 1459343590421.jpg (163KB, 937x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1459343590421.jpg
163KB, 937x1000px
>>49921256

Turns out people who make fantasy maps don't know shit about city planning or geography.

What a shock.
>>
The kingdom has a standing army.
>>
>>49921107

Hey, getting rid of human waste was one of the most profitable professions ao.
>>
Institutionalized religion is a net negative for its laity, and religious actors are corrupt villains who use their authority to exploit the populace. Shamans and druids, on the other hand, are always right and good given their connection to generic spirits or mother earth.
>>
>>49921328
Sure. But I have no idea what genocides have to do with outhouse logistics...
>>
>orcs are noble savages (who still kill a fuckton of people on the reg but it's okay because they're 'misunderstood')

These are the only ones that actually annoy me.

>demons are noble savages (who still kill a fuckton of people on the reg but it's okay because they're 'misunderstood')

This one I have literally never run into.
>>
File: Everyone's favorite genre.jpg (269KB, 751x658px) Image search: [Google]
Everyone's favorite genre.jpg
269KB, 751x658px
>>49920656
Honestly there's nothing wrong with airships or even "steampunk" if it's done correctly (IE, is just technology and the implications of having that kind of travel or tech is played out) instead of just being visual aesthetic and disruptive to the narrative.

But to contribute..
>the world is filled with dungeons, though it's rarely if ever explained who built them all and why
>said traps, lighting and monsters in the dungeons always still function, there's never a part that has fallen into darkness or traps that time has rendered inoperable
>there's an entire fucking ecosystem in the dungeon(s), complete with dungeon-specific lifeforms
>no one ever clears out these dungeons and turns them into forts, towns, or homes
>it is always orcs, trolls, gnolls, kobolds, demons, etc. all that are horrible invading raiders, never humans
>humans always just live in their little towns and walled cities and dindu nuffin wrong

The trope of acting like humans never raid anyone ever is far more tiresome than the "monsters are actually okay!" one. When we murder each other on a daily basis pretending that other species might not have a legit beef with us is kinda dumb.

>>49921107
Not entirely true. Sure, most of the time it is, but it's one of those things that sets how advanced and organized a place is. Some hamlet isn't going to have anything more advanced than shitting in a bucket, but a city with sewers? That's an advanced city.

And escaping/infiltrating a place through the sewers is a time-honored trope that only exists when there's sewers.
>>
>>49921137
In a grim setting with diseases and bodily fluids, toilets are a good thing to imply, but I personally don't like being reminded of not fun things like shitting and menial labor unless it enhances the grimness of the setting. Also I am paranoid of the magical realm slippery slope.
>>
>Warriors walk around in full plate mail all day and don't have anyone around to help them don/remove/maintain/carry it.
>>
>old abandoned dungeon that hasn't been disturbed in 100+ years
>giant ass spiders

What do they eat down there?
>>
>>49921390

> they could as well drop it, because speed > strength
>>
>>49921401

Smaller spiders.
>>
>>49921361
>>there's an entire fucking ecosystem in the dungeon(s), complete with dungeon-specific lifeforms
There's nothing wrong with his.
>>
>>49921453
What do those spiders eat?
>>
>>49921471

Smaller spiders.
>>
>>49921473
But what do THOSE spiders eat?
>>
>>49920656
>the setting is locked in a eternal high middle age
>>
>>49921489

Smaller spiders.

Lloth is one hell of a drug.
>>
>>49921489
I think it might just be spiders all the way down.
>>
>>49921489
Smaller spiders, son. It's spiders all the way down.
>>
>>49921017
Not like there were cannons, fireworks and guns all over Eurasia for hundreds of years before the industrial revolution in the real world
>>
>>49921500
But how about a setting that's in a eternal high school age ?
>>
>>49921563
moeshit animaymay?
>>
>>49921500
>for 3000 years
>>
>>49921578

Naw, this would be one of those shitty "transported to a fantasy world" animus.

>MC gets hit by a bus trying to save a cat or something.
>Wakes up in a parallel version of his high school where students are a mix of fantasy monsters and demihumans
>Classes are things like Dungeoneering 101
>MC replaces that world's version of himself who is bleeding out after doing something heroic.
>Must survive class with his super high luck while wooing his various crushes who are now cute elves, catgirls, and orcs.

I'll take my check now JC Staff.
>>
>>49920656

I like this. I prefer it when they're just the favored race of one specific God--and aren't beholden to any particular moral compass--, or if they're 'The Ancient Ones' or some such. But this is cool too.

>"moral shades of grey" (though humans who don't like monsters are always unambiguously evil no ifs and or buts)

Word to the latter, but the Black/White is retarded.

>monstergirls

Word.

>steampunk technology

Word.

>Airships

Are goat.

Good/okay on its own, but--as you said--, when taken with

it's ridiculous.

>orcs are noble savages

I'd prefer if they didn't go back to 100% always chaotic evil, but there has to be something else they could be. I agree.

>goblin shortstacks

Word.

>demons are noble savages

See Angels.
>>
>>49921458
Agreed. It's one of the most fun parts of building a dungeon, and one of the defining bits of OSR. Monsters that are there because it makes sense for them to be there, not because they fit arbitrarily into an encounter rating.
>>
I really dislike it when the MC modernises his country/where he lives with useless or shitty inventions.

No real explenations, no backstory, just alot of "becuz steamengines/magic/shitty inventions" or how they make shittons of money with "chocolate/sugar/modern food" etc.

Almost always shit like that makes no sence at all. Authors hardly do any background research for their novels.
>>
File: smug lads.png (186KB, 1317x689px) Image search: [Google]
smug lads.png
186KB, 1317x689px
>>49921601
related
>elves live for 1000+ years
>lvl 1 elf is 100 years old
>>
>>49920656

You sound like a buttblasted /pol/tard. Unless your campaign world is relatively young, immigration will have to have occurred somewhere down the line in this world's history, which naturally leads to less homogenous societies.

Good luck finding anyone to play in your magical realm populated by sectarian hyper-nationalistic humans who inexplicably hate each other because you say so.
>>
>>49921017
>Everything else
Yeah sure sounds about right.
>No one ever mentions sex, every npc is an asexual robot dispensing fetch quests.
Sexually frustrated neckbeard located. Please stop masturbating on your keyboard during sessions.
>>
>>49920656
>airships
Zeppelins are still an excellent idea for lesiure cruising.
>>
>>49921315
Underrated post.
>>
>>49921716
I'm pretty sure those--I forget the word, sorry--giant balloon-ships are actually becoming a fairly big thing in air cargo transport.
>>
>>49921005
you know pauldrons were a real thing, right? they weren't bigger than your head or anything, but they were there, and you could use them.
>>
File: 1476911913243.jpg (545KB, 1000x858px) Image search: [Google]
1476911913243.jpg
545KB, 1000x858px
>the inclusion of any Standard Fantasy Racesâ„¢ - no exceptions
>attempts are made to use historical wars as an analog to the fantasy conflict
>a race is presented as pure evil and constantly engaged in wrongdoing for no reason
>author uses work as a vehicle for their political or philosophical beliefs
>characters have unpronounceable names in fictional languages in an attempt to create an otherworldly vibe
>a race which consistently commits evil acts is presented as "redeemable" or "misunderstood"
>the fantasy conflict lacks historical verisimilitude and is a "good vs evil" struggle
>author avoids philosophical or political discussion, resulting in an anodyne and lifeless setting
>failed attempts to create "unique" fantasy races rather than using the tried and true classics
>author does not use their work to disseminate moral messages to the young
>characters have uninspired names like "Greenberry" or "Ironbeard" instead of interesting names in unique fantasy languages
>author reaches above their potential and attempts to write a story about human nature rather than a good old fashioned "good vs evil" yarn
>>
>>49921670
>immigration will have to have occurred somewhere down the line in this world's history, which naturally leads to less homogenous societies.
>New worlders everyone
You'd be surpried how homogenous a lot of places were. Of course multicultural empires and cities have always existed. Contrast between these 2 is interesting, but only having one or the other really grinds my gears
>>
>>49921186
enjoy losing your arms

also, how are those mutually exclusive?
>>
>>49921670
You're not a /pol/tard for wanting an explanation for why an Italian, a Zulu, and Aztec are running a train on a geisha.
>>
>>49921790
>a race is presented as pure evil and constantly engaged in wrongdoing for no reason

Agreed.

>author uses work as a vehicle for their political or philosophical beliefs

Everything is political, b. Even the things you take for granted in your setting are political. Refusing to include politics in your work is inherently political.

>characters have unpronounceable names in fictional languages in an attempt to create an otherworldly vibe

I just don't feel like Gary Jones fits the 1000 year old Elf. YMMV, tho.

>a race which consistently commits evil acts is presented as "redeemable" or "misunderstood"

Mhm.

>the fantasy conflict lacks historical verisimilitude and is a "good vs evil" struggle

Not many authors know all that much about historical conflict, though.

>author avoids philosophical or political discussion, resulting in an anodyne and lifeless setting

This isn't really possible.

You're a somewhat clever one, Anon.
>>
>>49921854
Because it's hot.
>>
>>49921756
Do you have a source on that? Google is turning up nothing.
>>
>>49921670
While some extent of mixing took place in early cities, on a whole it was actually rather rare. Pre-modern civilizations who weren't nomadic rarely had people leave the places they grew up at. Hell, even today in america, one of the most ethnically diverse countries there is, you'll find an asston of ethnically homogenous communities anywhere that isn't dominated by metropolitan buildup.
>>
File: 1476945590720.jpg (65KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1476945590720.jpg
65KB, 600x600px
Pretty much pic related. Propaganda games or games that exist only to pander to the most backward masses are extremely rare in the traditional gaming scene, though. It's more of an issue with GMs taking systems like D&D and transforming them into magical realms of Nazi fetishism. I've encountered these kinds of campaigns a handful of times here in this part of the U.S. South.

Nice cover art though.
>>
>>49921854
>running a train
can you explain what that means to non-native English speakers?
I thought it was the same as spit-roasting, but I don't see how that works with three guys
>>
>>49921790

"Behold, mortals, the Overdemon known as Bob, and his guardians, the Guys With Swords!"
yeah, that'd be much better.
>>
>>49921790
>>author uses work as a vehicle for their political or philosophical beliefs
>>author does not use their work to disseminate moral messages to the young

Pick one.
>>
>>49921913
It's like getting in line and taking turns fucking the person/thing in question, with the line of people being reminiscent of a train.
>>
> When every elf is a faggoty legolass rippoff and every dorf is a heavily armored miner.

I wouldn't mind if my GM added shortstack goblins, mostly because it's my magical realm and I'm a horrible person.
>>
>>49921913
Everyone lines up and takes turns.
>>
>>49921856
>Everything is political, b. Even the things you take for granted in your setting are political. Refusing to include politics in your work is inherently political.

It's thinking like this that causes shit to get pulled from stores for being "too offensive/sexual/buzzword of the week"

>Not many authors know all that much about historical conflict, though.

Sounds like a bad writer to me.
>>
>>49921913
it's guys taking turns one at a time on someone, like the cars of a train going by one at a time.
>>
>>49921947
Surely it's the people who are offended that are the problem, then, not the authors.
>>
>>49921885
Nah. I just vaguely remember a CNN--or I think Bloomberg--interview with a guy who was making a startup that used airships to carry cargo.
>>
>>49921912
Really we're seeing more games that are for regressives, which is sad but what can you do?
>>
>>49921915

Just saying, Tezcatlipoca is a way more tryhard name than Loki.
>>
File: 1476911913243.gif (326KB, 500x429px) Image search: [Google]
1476911913243.gif
326KB, 500x429px
>>49921935
>>
>>49921961
That's pretty much the justification I hear from everyone that wants shit pulled from shelves.

Hell authors use that excuse to help get people's shit removed.
>>
>>49921989
Tezcatlipoca is not even that weird, it's just long.
>>
>>49921790
>author reaches above their potential and attempts to write a story about human nature rather than a good old fashioned "good vs evil" yarn

wut?
>>
>>49921912
I need to pick up a copy of Myfarog one of these days. I'm sure it's a amusing read
>>
>>49921936
>>49921946
>>49921951
Thanks, in my language "a train" is a line of gay men all buttfucking each other
>>
>>49921790

y u contradict self so much?
>>
>>49921998
You can't get mad at them for preaching and for not preaching at the same time.
>>
>>49921963
Doesn't seem like it will take off, no pun intended. The things use helium to (safely) make the craft lighter than air, which is a commodity that is only becoming more expensive. It really only become viable when the cost of the ship, fuel, and time beat out the many shipping alternatives we have. Double that with fossil fuels being cheap for the relatively foreseeable future, and I don't see dirigible being anything more than a continued novelty.
>>
>>49921790
nice
>>
>>49922018
that's a 'daisy-chain' where i come from
>>
>>49921790
Shit guys. I think we just fell for bait.
>>
>>49921999
If authors self-censor then censorious people win by default.
>>
File: I guess you're just an anus.png (146KB, 182x339px) Image search: [Google]
I guess you're just an anus.png
146KB, 182x339px
>>49921935
>>49922012
>>49922026
Not even the anon you were replying to, but it's obviously a joke.
>>
>>49922049
I thought that was with oral
>>
>>49920656
>Noble Savage
At least someone on this board understands the meaning of the word and not mistake it with "having more character facets than just killing people"
>>
>>49921401
You know all the giant ass flies in the dungeons?

That's right. You don't.
>>
File: 1476911913242.gif (303KB, 500x429px) Image search: [Google]
1476911913242.gif
303KB, 500x429px
>>49922031
>>
>>49920656
>goblin shortstacks
I thought this was things that are wrong with modern fantasy?
>>
>>49920876
Lord of the Rings
>>
>>49922054
I'm not saying authors need to self-censor I'm saying that people need to stop adding meaning where there never was any. If someone want's to make a shitty modern day allegory for their own political grievances (see GRR Martin) then that's completely fine.

Pretending that Frank Frazzeta's art is some sort of statement past "cover art that doesn't look like shit" and decrying every work he does as being sexist or some shit is not.
>>
>>49920656
>goblin shortstacks
Is this a thing in modern fantasy?
>>
>>49922206

No, it's pretty much localized to porn.
>>
File: Jc4f4zB.jpg (192KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Jc4f4zB.jpg
192KB, 1024x1024px
>>49920844
Would amending it to "fuckheug pauldrons" be more acceptable?
>>
>>49922206
I wished it was desu.
>>
>>49922177
ah yes i remember all the steampunk airships and goblin shortstacks with huge pauldrons in lord of the rings
>>
>>49921072
Wow, that's one shitty looking Vimes
>>
File: 806.jpg (60KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
806.jpg
60KB, 1024x576px
>>49922177

t. misunderstood Sauron and his noble savages
>>
>>49922332
Tolkien was big on "everybody is sympathetic via backstory"
>>
>>49922241
>not posting the full pic
>>
>>49922332
There are several distinct groups among the orcs (Snaga, Uruks, the Goblins in the Misty Mountains).
A good deal of them wanted nothing to do with Sauron and were pressganged into service, while others were pretty loyal and motivated.

Same goes for Elves; there were sigificant diffrences between the various kindreds (not sure if that's the word used in English).
>>
>>49922018
Note: depending on the situation and who you're asking, the appropriate term might be "gangrape", the difference being the willingness of the female participant.
Of course, some people assume no woman would ever want this, and thus always mean "gangrape".
>>
>>49922177
>>49922332
Whoops, never mind.
misread your post.
my bad.
>>
File: darkest bait.png (121KB, 553x585px) Image search: [Google]
darkest bait.png
121KB, 553x585px
>>49921790
>>
File: oh wow.jpg (258KB, 1024x513px) Image search: [Google]
oh wow.jpg
258KB, 1024x513px
>>49922403
>>49922241
Here.
>>
>>49922054
>If authors self-censor then censorious people win by default.

Authors, and you, have been self-censoring long before these last 20 years. What the fuck are you talking about? Do you blurt out every first and last thought that comes out of your head?
>>
>>49920915
but we can't actually explain how the magic works, only that it just does and everyone totally knows how
>>
>>49920656
>REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Whoah calm down buddy, 'tis only a game
>>
>>49920847
HA HA HA HA HA
HA HA HA HA HA
HAAA HAAA HAAA
>>
>>49921790
It's possible to execute anything well. However, it is probable that most things are executed poorly.
>>
>>49922332

Oh wait!

I have something relevant to add to this comment...

Ah, here we go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kmUgRXzn_o

Come my friends, let us endure this stupid shit together...
>>
>>49920858

It depends on what you mean by gender theory. Having academic study of gender roles and things is pretty out of place in most pre-industrial societies, but even then, it's not like philosophers didn't recognize or consider differences between men and women. And having a society have different gender ideals than the one the players live in is a good way to make it feel alien, and ideally add something interesting in terms of drama. It's part of world-building and inventing cultures for a setting. If the GM were basing a society off of medieval Iceland, they might have it to where magic is considered a feminine thing, and generally not acceptable for men. Another culture might not have that distinction, or might go the opposite way. Looking at indigenous cultures in north america or southeast Asia can give historical examples of even more dramatic differences from the norms we consider in terms of gender and gender roles. You can make the topic interesting without shoving progressive politics down peoples' throats.
>>
>>49921539
Guns actually led to the industrial revolution because it facilitated the consolidation of vast empires, with their colonies.
>>
>>49922010

Also it's important to note that with Nahuatl part of the reason the words often look so ridiculously long is due to orthography. Not fully, because it's pretty heavily agglutinative and synthetic as a language and does tend toward long words, but those dense consonant groups represent phonemes that an alphabet developed specifically for the language would show with fewer letters.
>>
>>49923478
That takes a long, long time though anon. Go look up some Chinese history, see how long they had firearms before they actually got into industrialized shit.
>>
>>49923478
industrial revolution happened because of dutch banks and the start of capitalism
>>
>>49921017
Gunpowerder had nothing to do with the industrial revolution aside from allowing guns to be mass-produced.
>steampunk technology in the capitol.
There is your industrial revolution.
>>
>>49921315
This can be a thing that works, but it's typically better if the standing army in question is less an army and more one or two important units like the Lifeguard.
>>
File: PurgesInternally.jpg (49KB, 600x685px) Image search: [Google]
PurgesInternally.jpg
49KB, 600x685px
>>49920656
>pauldrons
>bad
>>
>>49921017
>>Gunpowder exists but an industrial revolution never happens because reasons.
Most of those I agree with, but gunpoweder weapons were developed alongside plate armor, and co-existed for hundreds of years before the industrial revolution happened.
>>
>>49923612
Directly yes, I was referring to an underlying cause not an overt one
>>
>>49921107
P O O
I N
L O O
>>
>>49920656
>lvl 1 elves are over a 100 years old
This always riled me up since it's fucking retarded to imagine someone being a manchild for 100 years before actually doing something.
In all campaigns I ever ran, I thus instead went with "elves have a cultural notion that noone is truly an adult until they mastered at least one profession and lived at least a century; adventurers are usually 20-year-old youngsters who are considered children from the perspective of most elves, but can pass for adult among other races"
>>
>>49920915
You would hate how I handle magic then.
A wizards study of magic is methodical and scientific, nothing more mystical about it than the study of the physical world.
This means there is no stupid technology/magic split (I don't mind the shadowrun kind of split where augmentations remove essence, I mean the harry potter kind where "you're in a magical zone now tech doesn't work now cuz MAGIC").
>>
File: 1477003626153.gif (675KB, 303x282px) Image search: [Google]
1477003626153.gif
675KB, 303x282px
>>49921790
you had me going there for a minute anon
>>
>>49923774
Imo, I read a post once that had it that--in their setting--, there were no 100 year old level 1 Elves. Instead, the level 1s were just in their 20s-50s & such. 100 year old Elves may not be treated as adults in Elven society, but they're not level 1s either.
>>
>>49923478
That's retarded. There were dozens of sizeable European Empire's before the Industrial revolution, perhaps they didn't have non-European colonies (although the Roman Empire is a notable counter-example), but there's nothing to suggest that non-European colonies are a necessity for an industrial revolution.
>>
>>49923833
Yea, that's the kind of stuff I like.
>>
>>49922389
It makes sense - he'd been through a war, and knew that there was rarely some great evil behind everyone and everything.
>>
Hey, fuck you, airships are awesome
>>
>despite it being a cutthroat "dark fantasy" world, men and women are perfectly equal and everyone is perfectly accepting of lgbtqatfafasas people
>>
>>49923850
I think my post wasn't that clear, It wasn't the outright cause of the industrial revolution, but rather one of the many underlying factors in determining where and when it would happen.
>>
>>49922506
lel, are there people who actually unironically like the last 3 versions?
>>
>>49923919
Song of Ice and Fire
>>
>>49920876
You are confusing ethnicity with race
>>
>>49920656

I fucking hate this shit so much.
People who get angry at having ethnically homogeneous human societies in a setting outside of historical fiction (and ESPECIALLY within it) and what they represent is the primary cancer behind fantasy writing. Even worse when they're okay with ethnically conscious nonhuman societies.
>>
>>49920656
It sounds rad as fuck!
>>
>>49923816
Bragging about jumping on the "scientific approach to magic" bandwagon?
>>
>>49920656
>steampunk technology
Eh, i prefer diesel, but as long as it's not another Standard Fantasy Medieval Europe
>monstergirls
Can be done well, usually are done abysmally bad. I agree.
>airships
Shut your whore mouth.
Is it a bad thing or-
Oh. Oh, that. That's terrible.
Agree here.
>goblin shortstacks
Shut your whore mouth.
Agree here.
Agree here. Angels who love humanity, but are 2spooky are vastly more interesting.
Monsters as in, Witcher-like? There's plenty reasons to hate them. But "moral relativism means everyone is a dick" shit is terrible.
>pauldrons
Shut your whore mouth.
Googled that and they're okay. What's your problem, OP?

Overall, a mediocre list, and REEEEEing at people with "wrong" tastes is a shitty behavior.
Verdict: OP is a faggot.
>>
>>49921017
This sounds like a terrible, terrible mix of a weeaboo faggot and a hardcore progressive's worldbuilding. Christ, I shudder.
>>
>>49920656

Don't you be talking shit about my pauldrons boy.

But yes you're right on most of those.

Notably the steampunk and airships and the waifuification process.
>>
>>49924071
get the fuck off this board with your LE SO QUIRKY bullshit

There's only one thing worse than generic settings, and it's settings that try to be unique by ripping off shitty, uninspired, unrealistic nonsense like most steampunk or dieselpunk settings. They are universally terrible.
>>
>>49923718
yeah but without the banking system that developed in central europe you could have thousands of years of gunpowder use and even of technological advancements without an industrial revolution
in fact that's largely what happened in india china and the islamic world
>>
>>49921489

It's no use Mr James, it's spiders all the way down.
>>
File: pat.gif (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
pat.gif
13KB, 300x300px
>>49924202
there, there, calm down, anon.
>>
>>49922506
>vanilla
>burning crusade
>wrath of the lich king
>cataclysm
>>
>>49921017

It's either this or the opposite. People are constantly having kinky as fuck sex with everyone, visiting brothels, raping villagers, fucking their family members casually.
>>
File: REALISM.jpg (208KB, 2206x1080px) Image search: [Google]
REALISM.jpg
208KB, 2206x1080px
>>49924202
>unrealistic nonsense
>>
>>49921082
girls that are monsters
>>
>>49921082
>>49924377
>medusa
>harpy
>mermaid
>siren
>gynosphinx
>selkie
>the woman with a mouth on the back of her head from Japan
Not like there isn't precedent.
>>
File: 65029510.jpg (184KB, 587x625px) Image search: [Google]
65029510.jpg
184KB, 587x625px
>>49920656
>>
File: disgusting to say the least.jpg (47KB, 317x310px) Image search: [Google]
disgusting to say the least.jpg
47KB, 317x310px
>>49924406
>medusa
>harpy
>gynosphinx
These seem like viable sex partners to you?
>>
>>49924351
And just what does any of that have to do with the way a society functions?
>>
>>49924456
>medusa
One of the only things I liked about the Clash of the Titans remake
>harpy
Maybe not
>gynosphinx
LION PUSSY
Literally nothing else weird about her other than doggy style being weird.
I notice you said nothing about mermaids, fishfucker.
>>49924461
Society changes when dragons and magic exist.
>>
File: wFtHn9j.png (609KB, 580x750px) Image search: [Google]
wFtHn9j.png
609KB, 580x750px
>crossbows are treated like an infantryman's service rifle, often have slings and a stock and trigger like a rifle's
>automatic crossbows
>pistol-sized crossbows treated like a modern day handgun, often dual-wielded
>17th century sailing ships with 17th century pirates and navies but with ballistas instead of cannons
>"No, I don't wanna have guns, that would take away the medieval feel, plus it'll make knights and their armor worthless"
>>
>>49921259
Excluding the second point I'd love to play in that setting.
>>
>>49924480
>>49924456
Actually, scratch that - you didn't mention any of the monstergirls that were associated with water
>>
>>49924456
medusa makes me rock hard anon
>>
>>49924480
>Society changes when dragons and magic exist
How?
>>
>>49924452
>not
That's an interesting way to spell "very much"
>>
>>49924480
>I notice you said nothing about mermaids, fishfucker.
>this coming from the guy who proudly declared his love of bestiality
She's viable from the waist up.
>>
>>49924351
A setting with magic could function fine. A setting with steam valves used to power tophats and idiotic uses of ineffective technology in every possible way could not.
>>
>>49924406
But how are monstergirls a bad thing tho ?
>>
>>49924492
>How?
it depends on the type of magic and dragons that exist
>>
>>49924513
All monstergirls are viable from the neck up
That's kind of the whole point
>>
>>49924487
Mermaids are viable from the waist up, selkies shed their sealskins to become human women and the entire point of sirens is that they're alluring to men, to the point that you forget that they just want you to crash your ship on the rocks so they can eat your drowned corpse; Sirens are not viable, but you could be forgiven for thinking they are.
>>
>>49924532
>it depends
Bullshit non-answer.
>>
>>49924537
>from the neck up
So you're not attracted to any other part of the human body?
>>
>>49924583
depends on the question being asked
>>
File: 1452187007248.gif (1MB, 150x150px) Image search: [Google]
1452187007248.gif
1MB, 150x150px
>>49924483
>17th century sailing ships with 17th century pirates and navies but with ballistas instead of cannons
>>
>>49924585
It's the only thing all monstergirls definitely have in common.
>>
>>49924627
You didn't answer my question.
>>
>>49921259
GRRM, please go.
>>
>>49920717
>Lmao everything is subjective bro, nothing can be considered bad
>We can keep shoving the same shit down everyone's throat and it's all good
>>
>>49924583
but it's true.
Benevolent natural god dragons or calamities demon dragons or big dinosaurs dragons would have different effects on the developments of society. And the same goes for the type of magic that exists.
what can you do with magic, how can you do it, how many people can use magic and at what level, what difference is there between the top magicians and lower schmucks and whether magic has any negative side effects are all important aspects to how magic influences the development of society.
Having harry potter magic or lovecraft magic is not the same
>>
>>49924632
Yes, I did. All monstergirls are viable from the neck up, and so all are viable. Just establish an blowjob-centric relationship and you're golden.
>>
>>49924674
>being satisfied with nothing but blowjobs
>not wanting tits
Yeah, I'm not even going to ask, you're definitely gay.
>>
>>49920656
Not just that. Every nonhuman race is completely homogenous. All elves live in the forest, speak the same language, and have the exact same language and religion. No matter how many thousands of miles separate them and how little contact they have had for thousands of year. And so on.

Also
>magic can be practically applied to any conceivable situation at no cost
>spells come prepackaged in neat little boxes and can't diverge from their intended purpose. I.e. a mage who knows how to cast a fireball knows only how to cast a fireball of one particular size and can't use the same skill to light a cigarette.
>Overly diverse technology levels. Cavemen live right next door to a feudal kingdom, right next to a renaissance republic, etc.
>>
>>49924682
woah man I didn't say not having tits wasn't a dealbreaker, I'd still prefer the more humanoid monstergirl
ass man for life tho
>>
>>49920917
>Lmao everything is subjective, you can't say my quirky steam punk adventure with ironic humour and wacky villains is bad!

Noice dude, but you forgot that nobody has to validate everything you like either.
>>
>>49924502
Unfortunately for you, having shit taste is an incurable disease
>>
>>49920656
>>every nonhuman society is completely homogeneous
I like to think it's because they weren't retarded like humans and got rid of the primitives.
>>
>>49924057
Only wizards do the scientific approach
Clerics, Sorcerors, Druids, Gishes, Warlocks, Favoured Souls, Adepts and so on can be as mystical as you please.
Not so much "scientific approach to magic" as "wizards take a scientific approach to magic" which isn't a bandwagon, it's been how wizards have functioned for decades.
If you want to be mystic go play a sorcerer or some shit not the class which is INT based and whose power source is study.
>>
Don't forget
>Adventurer's Guild or society of some sort
>>
>>49924712
>I'd still prefer the more humanoid monstergirl
That raises the question of why you want a monstergirl that isn't completely human in appearance or - wait for it, this is going to blow your mind - a normal human. A mermaid is something you only go for when you've been on a boat for weeks, are going to be on a boat for a few more weeks and there's no one with tits on board.
>>
>>49920656
>No sense for scale
Out of all the things in modern fantasy this is the one that bothers me the most. Recorded history teaches 10000 years into the past, noble families can trace their lineages back though several thousands of them, kingdoms are in practically large and are not built around rivers or any other bodies of water and yet they manage to keep them themselves from falling apart for thousands of years, and no matter how far you travel people still speak the same universal language.
>>
>>49921187
That was bait but we could argue the only reason the working class has rights in some countries is to keep them alive enough to continue being explited.
Wage slaves are modern peasants.
>>
File: IMG_0259.jpg (66KB, 600x678px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0259.jpg
66KB, 600x678px
So tell me /tg/, which is worse:

>Generic high-fantasy world with feudalism, wizard towers, and forest elves to the point where you're basically playing/reading Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms with a few new ideas for magic systems and dieties swapped in
>"Subversive" Fantasy where the author/GM has set out to turn all the "tropes" on their head, so now the elves all have magitek-robot mechs and dwarves love on flying ships and everybody rides giant lizards instead of horses
>"Self-Aware" fantasy where the writer/GM has set out to "lampshade" all the "tropes" so the adventurers are all assholes and the monsters are all misunderstood and princes get rescued by ladyknights in an oh-so-hillarious twist on D&D conventions!
>>
>>49924897
Pants-on-head-retarded subversive nonsense <<<<< Ironic meta self-aware bullshit <<<<< Bland generic world <<<<<<<<<<< DECENT FUCKING SETTING
>>
>>49924829
>That raises the question of why you want a monstergirl that isn't completely human in appearance or - wait for it, this is going to blow your mind - a normal human.
Literally the fantasy roleplaying board.
>>
>>49924897
Generic is the least worst, because at least with generic it's so familiar that you can set your brain to autopilot on the matter of lore and focus on more important things, like individual encounters.
>>
>>49924897
>>Generic high-fantasy world with feudalism, wizard towers, and forest elves to the point where you're basically playing/reading Dragonlance or Forgotten Realms with a few new ideas for magic systems and dieties swapped in
This is the worst.
>>
>>49924935
>/tg/ is ERP
No, you go fuck off with that attitude.
>>
>>49921361
>The trope of acting like humans never raid anyone ever is far more tiresome than the "monsters are actually okay!" one. When we murder each other on a daily basis pretending that other species might not have a legit beef with us is kinda dumb.
In my Bloodborne/Innistrad rip-off setting, monsters have taken over the world BECAUSE humans kept raiding and warring each other till the population ran so low a small pack of werewolves is now a nation-clearing threat.
>>
>>49921790
I see what you did there anon
>>
>>49920656
>steampunk technology
Could be fine, but it's never technology, it's almost always vague bullshit that makes less sense than the magic.
>monstergirls
I've never seen this in a way that wasn't just someone lifting it from porn, and just like most other things when you just copy and paste from porn it's a terrible idea.
>airships
Honestly I just think these are used because people can't seem to think up a realistic way to cart people around. They don't focus on the airships being airships in any way other than, we have an airship, isn't that cool?
I honestly tend to forget or ignore this happening because it almost never makes sense.
I don't mind this that much, in that it takes so much work to make it more realistic.
Fuck Metzen may his retirement be infested with pain and sorrow
>goblin shortstacks
Right, this is a thing, stop reminding me this is a thing, I prefer to forget about it.
I always feel like this is them wasting the potential
I don't actually care what form the angels come in.
It's always bad when a writer tries for something they can't manage, worse when they can't even realize they are fucking it up.
>pauldrons
I actually don't care, but I would love Pauldrons that make use of navel tactic complete with broadsides.
Eh I'd have to look up the guy you're talking about.
>>
File: explain this bullshit.png (184KB, 400x589px) Image search: [Google]
explain this bullshit.png
184KB, 400x589px
>>49925086
>and just like most other things when you just copy and paste from porn it's a terrible idea.
I have never understood why anyone has ever thought that lifting something from porn would be a good idea.
>>
>>49925086
>I actually don't care, but I would love Pauldrons that make use of navel tactic complete with broadsides.
That sounds hilarious.
Brb writing a campaign setting around that.
>>
File: ee.jpg (52KB, 1000x835px) Image search: [Google]
ee.jpg
52KB, 1000x835px
Honestly, I hate when fantasy settings try so hard to be different that they just end up feeling dumb.

When you add in a new race of 'purple people' and 'grey people' and give them goofy fucking names.

I'd rant longer but I don't want to.
>>
>>49924897
Generic Fantasy at least can work, and it has worked for decades. It'll be stale, but it doesn't have to be bad.

Subversive Fantasy is stupid because at that point, why bother having elves and dwarves at all? It's painfully close to being a better setting, but it's not because it feels like it has to laugh at earlier tropes.

But the worst is Self-Aware fantasy, because goddamn if everyone being an asshole or misunderstood really just gets in the way of having fun. I don't mind ladyknights, or the odd misunderstood villain, but if they are only there to rescue princes or to make me feel bad for having disliked their villainy, it's worse than the reverse.
>>
>>49924736
Says the person against pauldrons
>>
>>name or random word has an apostrophe for no reason
Warcraft is so bad for this.
>>
File: Trebuchet_Castelnaud[1].jpg (3MB, 2469x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Trebuchet_Castelnaud[1].jpg
3MB, 2469x1944px
>>49924483

It could be worse.
>>
>>49923203

...Fuck these people.
>>
>>49922534
Not even that guy but fuck off with your semantics. Political censorship through group shaming and a thought filter are dimensions apart you dullard. At least attempt to present a coherent argument.
>>
>>49922506

Am i the only one who laughs when i see that, not because it would kill his peripheral, but because there is no way he could stand upright?
>>
>>49920656

Angels have always been this way.
>>
>>49921149
You've never been to a British council estate, have you Anon?
>>
>>49925979
Wouldn't they be too inaccurate for naval warfare?
>>
Gunpowder isn't a requirement for an industrial revolution. Knowing how to make gunpowder doesn't give you the advances in metallurgy, chemistry, and energy efficiency that you need in order to promote development. You basically end up with canons and muskets until advancements in metalworking and mining make better forms of fire arm available. The thing is people want to act like warfare didn't change for hundreds of years until gunpowder was introduced, and that's not how history worked.
>>
File: GutsFiresCrossbow.png (3MB, 2823x1731px) Image search: [Google]
GutsFiresCrossbow.png
3MB, 2823x1731px
>>49924483
Hey, I like the automatic crossbow Guts can mount on his arm. Shame he doesn't use it much now with berserker armor taking over every time he fights.
>>
File: hidden skill checks.jpg (127KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
hidden skill checks.jpg
127KB, 600x800px
>The perfect disguise is nothing more than a cloak with the hood up
>>
>>49920917
some things bear mocking.

>Wow anon, I can't believe you're just quitting the group over one campaign!
>It's a fantasy culture so there's nothing weird about all the men being required to dress as maids!
>>
>>49921912
>>49921979
>Nazi fetishism
>regressives
pick one.
>>
>>49920656
>goblin shortstacks
y-yeah, f-fucking degenerates...
>>
>>49924897
>princes get rescued by ladyknights
This is fine though
>>
File: laughing conan.jpg (413KB, 1024x1598px) Image search: [Google]
laughing conan.jpg
413KB, 1024x1598px
>>49927114
>being so much of a beta that you want a woman to come along and rescue you
>>
>>49923203
oh boy, let me guess.

Muh Freedom of Will
Muh Evil Human Occupation
Muh Orcs rights
>>
>>49926941
Well, what would work better?
>>
>>49926711
Well if you just secured the boulder in its sling and got right up beside an enemy ship it could be like a huge game of naval battlebots! WHAMMO! BREAK THAT SHIT IN HALF
>>
>>49921624
What if the parallel MC was actually a nobody like real MC before the heroic act, and now his heroism has given him a harem? We need to shove as much otaku-pandering cliched shit as possible into this.
Still I like your contribution to this thread.
>>
File: 4Tr2oPX.jpg (30KB, 599x459px) Image search: [Google]
4Tr2oPX.jpg
30KB, 599x459px
>>49927171
actually
changing
your
fucking
clothes
>>
>>49927190
>>49921624
Couldn't you just have him gain a harem of mundane high school girls by saving the cat and leave out the convoluted parallel universe shit?
>>
>>49924897
by those definitions, "self-aware"

the other two can at least work on their own merits, despite flaws
>>
>>49921017
>>49923919
>Gay marriage is AOK and never leads to inheritance disputes among monarchs.
>despite it being a cutthroat "dark fantasy" world, men and women are perfectly equal and everyone is perfectly accepting of lgbtqatfafasas people

Technically speaking, the idea of gay or straight is a modern one. In many classical societies, it was perfectly acceptable to fuck another guy, provided that A) you weren't submissive, and B) you still got married and had kids like you were supposed to.

The idea of a "Gay marriage" would have been incomprehensible to them, but nobody would flinch If you said that you loved a member of the same gender. The idea that marge has anything to do with love is a modern one.
>>
>>49927460
Were you there?
>>
>>49927171
Literally anything else
>>
>>49927491
might be too late of a time period (well into the renaissance) but look at James 1, Queen of England.
>>
>>49927491
http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/gayvik.shtml

>The evidence of the sagas and laws shows that male homosexuality was regarded in two lights: there was nothing at all strange or shameful about a man having intercourse with another man if he was in the active or "manly" role, however the passive partner in homosexual intercourse was regarded with derision. It must be remembered, however, that the laws and sagas reflect the Christian consciousness of the Icelander or Norwegian of the thirteenth and fourteenth centuries, well after the pagan period. The myths and legends show that honored gods and heroes were believed to have taken part in homosexual acts, which may indicate that pre-Christian Viking Scandinavia was more tolerant of homosexuality, and history is altogether silent as to the practice of lesbianism in the Viking Age.
>>
>>49927491

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_ancient_Rome

>Same-sex attitudes and behaviors in ancient Rome often differ markedly from those of the contemporary West. Latin lacks words that would precisely translate "homosexual" and "heterosexual".[1] The primary dichotomy of ancient Roman sexuality was active/dominant/masculine and passive/submissive/"feminised". Roman society was patriarchal, and the freeborn male citizen possessed political liberty (libertas) and the right to rule both himself and his household (familia). "Virtue" (virtus) was seen as an active quality through which a man (vir) defined himself. The conquest mentality and "cult of virility" shaped same-sex relations. Roman men were free to enjoy sex with other males without a perceived loss of masculinity or social status, as long as they took the dominant or penetrative role. Acceptable male partners were slaves, prostitutes, and entertainers, whose lifestyle placed them in the nebulous social realm of infamia, excluded from the normal protections accorded a citizen even if they were technically free. Although Roman men in general seem to have preferred youths between the ages of 12 and 20 as sexual partners, freeborn male minors were strictly off limits, and professional prostitutes and entertainers might be considerably older.[2]

Shall I continue? It's a fairly common pattern that pops up in just about any warrior society.
>>
>>49927460
>The idea of a "Gay marriage" would have been incomprehensible to them, but nobody would flinch If you said that you loved a member of the same gender. The idea that marge has anything to do with love is a modern one.

Yeah the idea of "homosexual" didn't really take off until the 1920s. Before that you had gender discrepancies of "normal man" who put his dick in stuff and was manly and a "fairy" or "molly" or "catamite" who was an effeminate quasi-man/boy who sucked dick. You also had the idea of "sodomite" which essentially boiled down to "bangs people who's not his wife in the wrong hole," the sinfulness of which was enforced to varying degrees of harshness.

For women, the predominant idea about "homosexual" behavior was "who gives a shit"
>>
>>49927491

>In classical antiquity, writers such as Herodotus,[1] Plato,[2] Xenophon,[3] Athenaeus[4] and many others explored aspects of same-sex love in ancient Greece. The most widespread and socially significant form of same-sex sexual relations in ancient Greece was between adult men and pubescent or adolescent boys, known as pederasty (marriages in Ancient Greece between men and women were also age structured, with men in their thirties commonly taking wives in their early teens).[5] Though sexual relationships between adult men did exist, at least one member of each of these relationships flouted social conventions by assuming a passive sexual role. It is unclear how such relations between women were regarded in the general society, but examples do exist as far back as the time of Sappho.[6]

>The ancient Greeks did not conceive of sexual orientation as a social identifier as modern Western societies have done. Greek society did not distinguish sexual desire or behavior by the gender of the participants, but rather by the role that each participant played in the sex act, that of active penetrator or passive penetrated.[6] This active/passive polarization corresponded with dominant and submissive social roles: the active (penetrative) role was associated with masculinity, higher social status, and adulthood, while the passive role was associated with femininity, lower social status, and youth.[6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_ancient_Greece
>>
>>49927491

>Homosexuality in China has been documented in China since ancient times. According to one study, homosexuality was regarded as a normal facet of life in China, prior to the Western impact of 1840 onwards.[1] However, this has been disputed.[2] Several early Chinese emperors are speculated to have had homosexual relationships accompanied by heterosexual ones.[3] Opposition to homosexuality, according to the study by Hinsch, did not become firmly established in China until the 19th and 20th centuries, through the Westernization efforts of the late Qing Dynasty and early Republic of China.[4] On the other hand, Gulik's study argued that the Mongol Yuan dynasty introduced a more ascetic attitude to sexuality in general.[5][6]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_China
>>
Careful guys, even though this stuff comes from the proper requisite sources, he'll probably hit y'all with a ">wikipedia". After that bomb, the argument's all his.
>>
File: 1458364844294.jpg (511KB, 863x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1458364844294.jpg
511KB, 863x1200px
Can we still have delicious brown elves?
>>
>>49927686
If the setting dosn't have at least one flavor of delicious brown, elf or otherwise. I'm not playing it.
>>
>>49926265
Opting for discretion for one's own work to tailor to a broader audience is not "political censorship" you tinfoil stormtrooper. That's how you go from "amateur author-wannabe" to "professional".
>>
>>49920936
lol. Mitchell & Webb are so funny.
>>
Other people liking things I don't like is a perfectly valid reason to get upset.

>every dollar you spend on something I don't like is a dollar you don't spend on something that I do.
>every minute you spend on something I don't like is a minute you are not spending on something that I do.

Calling someone out for having shit taste is a perfectly valid criticism of both your character and your intelligence.
>>
>>49926265
It's not semantics. The idea you're trying to censor, the idea that some ideas are better than others, is a fundamental part of a rational thought process. People try to shame it out of people's minds with loaded words, but when they're no longer discussing the merits of the ideas themselves, that's what they're left with.
>>
>>49927692
>if there's no niggers to fetishize I won't play it

You are the worst player, on every possible count
>>
File: 1476659549495.jpg (184KB, 1200x1034px) Image search: [Google]
1476659549495.jpg
184KB, 1200x1034px
>>49927764
>implying you wouldn't
>>
>>49927764
The white race is dying out senpai. If you reproduce at all, your daughters are going to end up fucking niggers anyways, might as well get used to it.

Racism is for faggots.
>>
>>49927812
Can't say I care for the nose ring, and I don;t know about that other guy, but yeah I would.
>>
>>49927812
blech.

black girls are gross.
>>
>>49927839
Daughters and sons follow their role models, or, better yet, are individual human beings capable of making their own informed decision given proper upbringing and unbiased information. Just because you're a limp-wristed, pathetic fuck who'll allow his community and entire ethnicity to be wiped out for the sake of your disgusting fetishes doesn't mean anyone else is willing or able.
>>
>>49921017
>Every village has a tavern and multi level dungeon
I know I'm an idiot, but for some reason this bothers me the most
dungeons aren't threatening and mysterious if you stick them everywhere and every inbred cobbler's son knows the location of 5
taverns full of colourful travelers aren't a cozy and welcoming break if you trip over a dozen on every road
>>
>>49921489
its spiders all the way down
>>
>>49927812
This looks photoshopped, and not subtly
>>
>>49927896
>actually worries about the future of his "ethnicity"
>hasn't realized that by the 2100s all humans will have intermingled with each other and individual ethnicities will be a thing of pre-space colonization era
>>
>>49927896
You likely won't have any kids anyways, so the question is moot.

Meanwhile niggers keep making more niggers. If you resent them for following the basic biological imperative, it's because you're a resentful christian cuck who's been breed into impotence both culturally and biologically over the generations thanks to a misplaced obsession with purity.
>>
>>49921334
Ugh, this.
>>
>>49927995
I'd sooner watch the world destroyed than see everything reduced to some disgusting admixture without culture, religion, individuality, or even a goddamn ethnicity. That's the only true dystopia possible to exist.

>>49928015
I have two children and am not a christian.
>>
You guys are fucking retards

If anyone is gonna win the "race war" it'll be the Chinese and the Indians
>>
>>49928052
Okay so you aren't as bad as I though, but you're still a stupid racist, and your kids or grandkids are going to end up fucking niggers whether you like it or not.
>>49927995
Is wrong though, new identities are being created all the time. Rather than clinging to an old identity, a master takes part in the creation of the next.
>>
>>49928112
Refer to this;
>>49927896

If you are too lazy to, just because you are weak-willed, incapable of explanations, and utterly pathetic does not equate to those traits being shared.
>>
>>49927134
Who says you're the prince?
>>
>>49927134
I need spoon feeding, could someone tell me what he's laughing at?
>>
>>49927270
But anon, the convolution is actually the point. Now the harem is made of cat-girls, ogresses, pure elves, etc. You get diversity while at the same time not having to write fleshed-out characters.
Also, you get BOTH school uniforms AND sexy armor and wizard get-up. They'll fit that shit in like none of us gives a fuck.

This shit will sell as long as otakus refuse to evolve and take a break from certain sub-genres, and even then melding two genres may actually count as something new to them.
>>
>>49928110
And that's the fault of the white race for forgetting the adaptability and ruthlessness that made them great in the first place.

>>49928253
In the comic he just watch a guy swear revenge for a monster Conan just killed, only to slip on said monster's blood and impale himself.
>>
>>49927516
>>49927575
>>49927588
>>49927596
>>49927646

Everyday /tg/ empowers me with knowledge.
>>
>>49923478
And guns became viable because the industrial revolution allowed for their mass-production.
>>
>>49928301
kek that's hilarious. Thanks anon.

>>49927174
>Ships pull alongside each other
>FIRE BROADSIDE
>Start smacking each other with trebuchets
>>
File: 1476918330931.png (35KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1476918330931.png
35KB, 625x626px
>>49928393
>And guns became viable
>guns have been the principal ranged weapon of pretty much all modern armies for at least three centuries before the industrial revolution happened
>>
>>49928481
Turns out it's easier to train a motherfucker to shoot, reload, shoot, fix bayonets, and stab bitches in a few weeks to a few months than it is to take a lifetime to train a guy to shoot a longbow. Who knew?
>>
>>49928481
I wouldn't say three centuries. Arbitrarily sticking the start-point of the Industrial Revolution at 1712 with the invention of Thomas Newcomb's steam engine, in 1412 I'm not sure they even had matchlocks. I think they were still holding the matches with their off-hand.
>>
>>49928520
I always thought of it as somewhere in the mid to late 1800s, but then a normie pleb.
>>
>>49928575
Wikipedia and Encyclopedia Britannica both call it ~1760. James Watt's steam engine, which produced a rotary motion that was better for industrial applications than previous reciprocating steam engines, was invented in 1781.
>>
File: 1398395919220.jpg (84KB, 501x578px) Image search: [Google]
1398395919220.jpg
84KB, 501x578px
>>49927995
>by the 2100s all humans will have intermingled with each other
>>
>>49928052
Don't worry too much about it. Even if everyone has equal racial backgrounds or something, it'll end up with people claiming more ethnicity than other people.

In colonial South Africa, thanks to interracial mingling and such, just about everyone was a little African. But the whites totally ignored any of their black ancestry so they could stay in their high social tier, and the descendants of slaves would rather be native Africans than slaves, since this put them in a higher social tier.
>>
>>49928625
You could argue the Industrial Revolution started in the 1760s, but it really didn't begin to grow into a world-wide thing until around 1800. That's when it starts spreading beyond the UK and affecting other countries in Europe and the Americas, not just technologically but with new ideas.
>>
>OP is butthurt that things he doesn't like are popular

What a stellar thread.
>>
>>49924659
>>>49924714
I'd be willing to bet money neither of you could actually put to terms a decent philosophical argument for why any of those are objectively bad. Instead you assert them as absolute, and then mock the notion of subjective validity in an effort to avoid having to articulate this, because ultimately your butthurt here boils down to "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE."
>>
>>49921670
Even Venice, hell even New fucking York isn't as uniformly ethnically diverse as SJWs like to picture fantasy words.
>Not EVERYONE wants to live in NY for there to be exact numbers of every ethnicity
>The people who already live there will be the mayority, belong to the historical settling ethnicity and won't just pack up and leave for the sake of quotas
>go back to tumblr
>>
File: 1408758699657.jpg (50KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
1408758699657.jpg
50KB, 500x357px
>>49921790
Actually master crafted bait
>>
>>49927995
>2100
>all of humanity is some disgusting mongrel shade of coffee
I'd prefer the apocalypse tbqh.
>>
>>49926571
Hell even Michael and Gabriel hate us.
>>
>>49923388
Nigga did you just write all that with no paragraphs
>>
File: Iamthecutest.jpg (3MB, 1754x1240px) Image search: [Google]
Iamthecutest.jpg
3MB, 1754x1240px
>>49921017
>Wizards are moe little girls.
So you honestly think these people have the power to rewrite reality and would willingly choose not to be the little girl? Outrageous.
>>
>>49926571

I kinda understand their hate, they are perfect immortal beings forced to babysit crazed sinful mud eating apes, and their only reward is more work.
>>
>>49921790
Kek
>>
>>49920656
I don't mind airships, as long as the societal effects are addressed.
>>
>>49929794
>Guilds become richer faster
>The world is charted earlier
>Highwaymen never see a noble ever again
>Fire flask airstrikes and suicide bombing become possible.

What else?
>>
>>49929472
Um, why? What's so bad about that?

I think the discussion is pretty silly; past 2100 humanity will either be 1) engineering its own genomes, in which case the whole "race" thing is largely moot, or 2) dead.
>>
>>49927686
I'm no that I'm late, but I came to say that you posted armor.
>>
>>49929873
>Implying massive societal collapse and or technological stagnation aren't also possible.
>>
>in a setting where magic is prevalent, anyone who attempts to use magic to change the status quo is a villain.
>necromancy is directly opposed to healing magic
>>
>>49929987
>Implying it won't be exactly the same shit but with iphone97 and presequel remakes of current netflix series instead of capeshit and old tv shows.
We really havent changed that much since the airplane. Robots and computers changed urban societies but humanity at large is still pretty much in the same historical period as 100 years ago.
>>
>>49930017
Yeah, despite what the singularians think, technological progress has only been slowing. And even if there were an Apocalypse, it's unlikely that it would kill everyone, the human race has bounced back from major catastrophes before.

Time is a flat circle, and progress is just as much of a meme as decay.
>>
>>49930147
85% of the world population could die right now and so long as they're within traveling distance we'd recoup since that'd be twice as much population and genetic material as post pestilence europe.
>>
>>49921259
Take out the

>le ebin DORFS

and the

>super grizzled peasants who kill each other for a loaf of bread

and I'd probs play it, tee-bee-haych.
>>
>>49921315
Mine only has one because slavery works wonders, and because it's been in a perpetual state of conquest for the past 40 years.

Otherwise, standing armies are literally "Babby's first history lesson" tier.
>>
>>49929987
The world's too interconnected for this sort of thing. Even the Dark Ages weren't all that bad - the only massive societal collapse could come after World War 3 or something horrible like that. As the world grows more connected, it'll be harder to have social collapse on regional scales anymore.

As for technological stagnation, that's a fucking given at this point. We can't keep progressing every two years like we've been doing. Things have to slow down eventually, after several centuries of extreme growth.
>>
>>49922032
Mix a little argon with your hydrogen and have multiple cells and it's actually pretty safe.
>>
>>49927895
>girl

Sorry sir, I have news....
>>
>>49929987
Fair—I had placed "massive societal collapse" under the "dead" category. But technological stagnation amounts to the same thing: if nothing changes, we undergo a four- or five-degree Celsius rise in global temperature by the end of the century, which is probably incompatible with industrialized civilization.

And you really don't have to be a Kurzweil cultist to imagine that the genetic engineering of humans will become widespread sometime within the next 84 years.
>>
>>49926571
This is false. Alien they may be, but they care for mankind.
>>
>>49930847
They clearly only care about mankind on orders from God, who assigns them
>>
>>49929196
The settling ethnicity was largely reduced as the English took over from the Dutch and renamed it New York. (not that this is too large a difference)
>>
>>49930361
And at the same time I doubt that it has actually slowed at all.
Sure we don't have as many technologies in recent years that dramatically change society. (internet, cell-phones, etc.)
But at the same time, that might just be us getting used to the speed.
>>
>>49923203
>>49926132
>>49927140
>Any reinterpretation of a setting is bad because it makes me feel uncomfortable
>>
>>49921756
Blimp
>>49921885
See aeroscraft
>>
>>49921107
DId you really fucking mention
>Designated shitting streets
?
are you a newfag or just trolling?
>>
>>49923994

Wait, what?

If there is one thing the GRRM puts clearly is that his men and women have different destinies because they're women or men.
The only real execption is Asha, because she comes from sea hillibillies.
>>
>>49923203
I wish to single handedly butcher each and every one of those people. Seriously.
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 41

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.