[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright so I'm going to be running a game of /mercenary

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Alright so I'm going to be running a game of /mercenary operators/ in GURPS and I have a few questions I'd like to pick your brain with.

So first, the setting: the game begins in 1996, in the fictional West African nation of Birani.

In 1980 there is a military coup that deposes a newly inaugurated pro-Soviet president, and after that things start going downhill. The 80s are effectively a period of proxy civil war, with NATO backing the military's strongman "interim president" and the Soviets supporting the rebels, but the conflict turns much darker in 1990 when Soviet aid stops rolling in. A cease fire is brokered and the country has internationally monitored elections for the first time in a decade. A moderate reformer is elected with a slim majority, but the result is far from peaceful, as the newly-elected president finds his administration immediately under siege by ethnic separatist movements. The civil war, now entirely purged of its ideological bent, reignites, but this time the military is divided along the same tribal and ethnic lines that the separatists are. The moderate central government is reduced to being effectively powerless over the interior of the country, able only to rule the capital city and its immediate surroundings, while the rest of the nation is held by warlords.

Cue the players - it is 1996 and the Birani government has reached out to foreign PMCs in order to end this civil war once and for all. The players are some of the founding members of one of the PMCs.

So, that's the basic idea behind the game's setting and premise, I'm interested in feedback on that.

The other main thing I'd like to ask you all about is the worth in doing something akin to Dragon Age: Origins-style intros for the player characters, set (years) before the beginning of the game. It seems like a cool idea but I'm not sure whether it will be worth the effort to set up, especially in a system like GURPS, where there's such high lethality.
>>
>>49916034
>So, that's the basic idea behind the game's setting and premise, I'm interested in feedback on that.
Sounds legit, I'd be willing to play something like that. Good job on picking a fictional country as to not offend anyone and/or trigger history faggots.

>The other main thing I'd like to ask you all about is the worth in doing something akin to Dragon Age: Origins-style intros for the player characters, set (years) before the beginning of the game. It seems like a cool idea but I'm not sure whether it will be worth the effort to set up, especially in a system like GURPS, where there's such high lethality.
Let me ask you this, and then allow you to answer your own question: what worth is there to adding a prequel session or two? What would it add to the characters and the story that writing out a simple backstory wouldn't achieve? In other words: is it truly neccessary? Is the time wasted worth the result?

>Muh lethality
You know how Fire Emblem usually has a tutorial campaign that takes place before the real story happens (at least in Rekka no Ken)? Do you know how in that campaign the characters never die, they just get so severely wounded you cannot use them until the tutorial ends? Do that: if you choose to do a pre-campaign session, make it so that the characters cannot die in it. They can only be so severely wounded that they're out of commission until the real campaign starts.
>>
>>49916034
Pre-campaign stories normally work only if you can tie them in with campaign later. And most of the time short backstory will achieve the same effect with much less problems.
>>
>>49916034
I've wanted to play in a campaign like this for a long time. I'm mad jealous.
>>
>>49916034
Rwanda: The RPG.

It's gonna be ugly, no matter what the players do.
>>
>>49916034
That looks more like a pistol cartridge rather than a rifle one. You'd think she'd carry 5.56 or 5.45x39.
>>
>>49919812
Thats not the biggest problem with that picture. baka.
>>
>>49916034
It all sounds pretty realistic. But just a little bit... boring. I'd throw in mech suits or something to spice up the combat. But maybe thats just me.

Also the standard work of most PMCs is training the soldiers of the customer. Not fighting on the front lines.
>>
>>49919966
With GURPS:Tatical Shooting they will have so much spice in combat they'll beg for less.

Charismatic antagonists though will be needed to make the game engaging.
>>
>>49920002
>With GURPS:Tatical Shooting they will have so much spice in combat they'll beg for less.

Ive looked this up, sounds pretty neat. I like the idea of 20 different firearm techniques and 6 styles. I concede the point, that IS enough. You may now sit in the chair.
>>
>>49919966
It's based on Sierra Leone and Executive Outcomes, in which the the war was fought and basically won by a PMC.
>>
Since there's such civil disorder and it's Africa, you can include elements of the Liberian civil wars! That lets you include cannibal mass murderers who use old tribal magics, human sacrifice, and drugs to get their men pumped up to fight. Some of the generals are pretty charismatic guys, like General Rambo and General Butt Naked. They'd make good allies or antagonists to include.

Then when your players give you shit for adding such unrealistic elements, you can look them right in the eye and say, "I pulled that shit straight from history, fucker."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRuSS0iiFyo
>>
>>49923953
Seen the VICE documentaries a long time ago.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.