[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any good fantasy rpgs? >inb4 people recommend bad

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_0109.jpg (76KB, 636x465px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0109.jpg
76KB, 636x465px
Are there any good fantasy rpgs?

>inb4 people recommend bad fantasy games or non-fantasy games
>>
>>49913261
Dungeon World
>>
>>49913261
Not really, no.
>>
>>49913261
What's "good" by your standards?
>>
>>49913261
TESRPG
>>
>>49913261

are you looking for settings or systems?

settings (not necessarily the system):

warhammer fantasy 2ed, The Dark Eye & Symbaroum
artesia
ars magica
Wold of Darkness - Dark Ages
Changeling
Exalted
d20 Conan
Pendragon
Dragon Warriors
>>
>>49913277
OP said no bad fantasy games....
>>
>>49913484
>warhammer fantasy 2ed
>Pendragon

Garbage.
>>
>>49913589
>>49913606
oh wow I couldn't have predicted the thread would go this way
>>
>>49913261
SenZar.
>>
>>49913261
Runequest/Mythras/D100 Really any, to be honest - at least for me
Heroquest
Artesia
LoTFP
WoD Really, I know - if your ok to fudge some things/buy some things
>>
>>49913606

I bet you have your original setting, that you are working on for past 10 years, that is clearly better that those mentioned in this thread.
>>
>>49913261
GURPS
>>
By the laws of skub and /tg/ get shit done, I smell a new pretentious setting coming along. I present a new(actually old) idea for fantasy.
>Humanoids don't get magic, but god-like beings and creatures do.
>Sensible weapons and armor not allowed
>Civilizations do not resemble real life cultures at all
>Not set on a planet, but rather a long, infinite, hollow tube that eventually leads to Hell, worse than Hell, worse than worse than Hell, then perfect heaven place. Like a combination of flat earth and hollow earth.
>The world is like a Dr.Suess book, there seems to be an endless amount of races and no one can tell if humans are rare or not
>Also like a Dr.Suess book, animals are sentient, which makes farming and hunting awkward
>Last but not least, in this world of grim weirdness, there are no clear victories in war. Most of the time they happen for no real reason.
>>
>>49913638
>lofp

I heard that really shines in the modules, and that the system itself is a pretty robust retroclone. Sell me on the system?
>>49913484
I'm looking for a good system. Tired of the way advancement works in d&d, sick of the way magic works too. I'm winding down a Delta green game, and I want to find a game system which will allow me to continue the story I've made with just a better system of gaming than 5e.
>>
Fantasy Craft's another good one not mentioned yet, if crunchy is your thing. Though, obligatory disclaimer, the core book is a clusterfuck as far as organization is concerned, which makes it a little confusing to learn for the first time if you're just going it alone with the book.
>>
>>49913812

then I would suggest GURPS. With the amount of books, and variant rules published it if really good material for you to choose which options and game rules you want in your game.
>>
>>49913868
The reason that I and many other people don't want to play gURPS is how naggy you are about it MOM
>>
>>49913796
What? Is this a thread mispost? Before you get to the big leagues, edit your post. Less arrogance. More coherence. Talk about fun stuff and ask for help. /tg/ doesn't get stuff done anymore because of jerks like you
>>
>>49913900
>people say I should try GURPS
>obviously the reasonable response to this is to never play it ever
>>
>>49913277
My problem with dungeon world is that it seems like a combination of the worst bits of the quantum ogre and railroading. Seems difficult for players to surprise you
>>
>>49913812
>I heard that really shines in the modules, and that the system itself is a pretty robust retroclone. Sell me on the system?

To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not generally a fan of d20, class-level rpg games - but, something about these retro-clone-whateverthefuckyouwanttocallthem-games just grabs me. Maybe it's the grimness that is inherent to your low-level characters just scrapping by as they get the shit kicked out of them - or just the general feel of those games, I don't really know.

So, that actually makes it a bit hard for me to sell you on the system; trying to sell you on a feeling. But, if you are interested, the game has free versions of the rules available - the whole game, just without the art.

The modules are fantastic - though they are very meat-grinder-ey. Character death, Character-fate-worse-then-death, more character death, destruction of the planet and all you hold dear besides because you did a thing that you would have no way of possibly knowing about. But again, they are very good - I don't even play D20, but I still get the modules just to read through them/use them in other games.

Is there anything in particular you want to know about it? Any concerns, or anything you want cleared up? I think it's a very good game system (though again, I'm no expert), it's just that I'm scrambling for things to tell you about it to show why I think it's a good game.
>>
>>49913941
My players have enough trouble reading what their spells do, and are often struck with choice paralysis. "Learn an unfamiliar game" is a big ask
>>
>>49913960
Hmm. My players have really been enjoying the delta green which I've been running. Does it have that tendency to abruptly swing between careful consideration and research and frantic desperate action?
>>
Anima - Beyond Fantasy's good.

>>49913972
Lite's only 32 pages long, but if your players come down with choice paralysis easily, then GURPS probably isn't that great an idea.
>>
>>49913796
There's an example of this you could use. I can't remember what game I'm thinking of. Shit, what is it called. I've played it. ...they deliberately didn't want to use elves, or recognizable cultures, or any recognizable races.
>>
>>49913900

GURPS:
game allows you to create a character you want to play now. Not when you reach 15th level. granted you probably can't take everything you want from the start but you have better chance of making well defined character than in "level progression" systems.
- fantasy, sci-fi, modern, horror, pulp, prehistoric, historic games using one system
- all books are well written and researched. Especially "world books"
- ability to use classic monsters no matter the level of play. If you are playing knights and after 10-20 sessions GM sends 10 orcs against you once again you can bet they will still be a challenge.
-choose the rules you want. System is more of a toolkit. While majority of systems are good at only one thing and sometimes they aren't really good at the very thing they are tailored for, GURPS can be adapted to do lots of stuff.

some people don't want to be helped even when they ask for it.
>>
>>49914073
Shut up. Seriously.

it's not a fantasy game.

I'm onboard with LotFP. Gonna give it a shot, at least
>>
>>49914043
Tekumel?
>>
>>49914139
>it's not a fantasy game.
Of all the silly complaints about GURPS, this is one of the silliest.
>>
>>49914220
Nobody's played Tekumel.
>>
>>49914139

gurps - not fantasy game (Banestorm setting, dungeon fantasy, Monster hunters, Fantasy rulebook, Thaumatology )... okay.

>I'm onboard with LotFP. Gonna give it a shot, at least

at least you are stepping in right direction. 2nd edition and retroclones solve many of 3.x problems and I think you could find it better than never editions of dnd.
>>
Is fantasy age any good?
>>
>>49913261
Define "good", OP. It's not really an objective term.
>>
>>49913945
Can you elaborate a little? Of course it will be difficult for players to surprise you if you go into the game without a pre-conceived storyline expectation.
>>
>>49913796
>then perfect heaven place
What's after that? Shouldn't it be more like
Super Heaven > Heaven > Real World Plus > Real World > Real World Minus > Hell > Super Hell
>>
File: IMG_2697.jpg (185KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2697.jpg
185KB, 500x750px
Burning Wheel. Kinda crunchy, but is a really interesting game. The life path system is awesome.
>>
>>49914000
... Eh. Sort of - there's more a general sense (at least when it comes to the modules) that you are stepping in some shit that you are NOT prepared to step in, and that there are some things going on in the background that you can't really guess at till your knee-deep in it.

One of the things about LoTFP is that it assumes a real world setting - 16th century Europe, specifically, though with magic and monsters atop it. Which, while seeming like a small detail, has a huge affect on how the usual D&D rigmaroll goes down; battles between fictional gods - your Orcus's and your Bahamuts and the like - turn into battles between the Catholic and Protestant churches; monster encounters go from 'oh this just another bugbear or owlbear or imp or whatever is coming through that glowing portal' to 'what the fuck is this shit that I'm fighting', and battles for the fate of the Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk turn into battles for fate of western Europe or England or what have you.

Of course, you can use it to play in your Forgotten Realms or your Greyhawks instead - which sort of nullifes everything that I just wrote - but still, that sense of looming dread and fuckery pervades a lot of LoTFP.
>>
>>49913261
>Have you stopped beating your wife yet, /tg/
>>
>>49915416

dnd deserves a beating.
adnd is a grandma that gives you a hot meal and brings back good memories.
>>
>>49914857
Huh, I noticed that. It's odd but interesting. Are firearms in?
>>
>>49917385
... Huh; I just looked through the rulebook to give you a better answer than "yeah, it has guns", but ... I can't find them. At all - and there are references throughout "official" LoTFP modules to them; characters are armed with firearms, example PCs are drawn wielding them.

I ... I have no idea - if anyone else in the thread knows anything about it, please speak up, because I'm fucking baffled about this.

So, tentatively ... yes, firearms are in the game.
>>
>>49914842
I love the lifepath system but fuck trying to solve conflict/combat. You want to play ranged combat? Read out tables.
>>
I'm looking for a game that employs the use and development of traits rather than classes. I've heard FATE has something im looking for, but i've also heard it's rather shit and very "mother may I"
>>
>>49918540
If I understand you correctly, then Savage Worlds may be what you are looking for.

Fate needs getting used to, and it relies on more subjective rulings.
>>
>>49913606
You hate both Warhammer Fantasy and Arthurian legend, you are not allowed to criticise anything.
>>
>>49918554
Doesn't Savage Worlds need minis to play?

Also part of the game is inflicting traits on the PC or the setting. A PC that makes a bargain with a demon would have a trait inflicted upon them defining that relationship, or a land cursed would have a trait defining the curse. The idea is the longer your character goes on, the more corrupted by outer influence they become. Corruption is a major mechanic for what I have in mind.
>>
>>49918609
I misunderstood you then.

Yeah, something Fate based should be closer to what you want than SW. Maybe check Accelerated.

Here's an example of Fate combat:
http://www.evilhat.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Olaf-Vs-The-Orcs.pdf
>>
>>49918631
Oh god no, there's no attempt to be part of the character, it's just like an action figure.
>>
>>49914139
Why are you being so petty? He is saying why a system is good, no need to make silly complaints that aren't even true.
>>
File: low quality bait.jpg (100KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
low quality bait.jpg
100KB, 500x375px
>>49913261
>Asks highly subjective based on personal preference
>demands objective answer
Here's your (you) OP
>>
>ctrl+f
>0 results for "Barbarians of Lemuria"

Barbarians of Lemuria.
>>
>>49913796
That's impossible to imagine/ create.
>>
DnD 3.5
>>
>>49919293
D&D3.5 is more supers than fantasy, though.
>>
>>49917710
They're in the appendix, along with stuff like lobster-tail helmets and shit.
Though I'm not sure if every edition has said appendix
>>
>>49914043
>>49914220
>>49914234
>>49913796
I remembered! Tekumel sounds similar but I was thinking of Talislanta. Their motto is "No elves."

http://talislanta.com/
https://index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml?mainid=282&editionid=3172
>>
OP here. I'm trying to find something which I can use to emulate the never-ending story. LotFP is cool, but not what I'm looking for. Savage worlds sounds promising, a quick look makes me concerned though. Does it require miniatures?
>>
File: 1eggsurprise.png (1MB, 900x660px) Image search: [Google]
1eggsurprise.png
1MB, 900x660px
>>49913796
>>Also like a Dr.Suess book, animals are sentient, which makes farming and hunting awkward

So you mean like real life?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.