[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are your flaws as a player? >can't help but to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 29

What are your flaws as a player?

>can't help but to use memes sometimes
Though the fucktards I'm playing with are 9gag tier memers themselves so...

>make characters that fuck off to do their own thing all the time
I can't fucking help it
>>
I need to be a unique snowflake. It drove me insane in Pathfinder society, if my group had another wizard. It got to the point, where I retired my wizard and picked bard because that is a more obscure class.

also, OP, you are are faglord.
>>
>>49901363

>cut my teeth on Shadowrun so now I thoroughly research and overplan every encounter, reflexively making characters smart enough to do so
>other players get bored and the GM gets mad when we eventually steamroll the encounter
>>
>>49901386

>also, OP, you are are faglord.

Still in denial.
>>
I am a forever DM, I rarely get to be a player and no longer than a short session because everyone else is mad intimidated/cbf of DMing

Also last time I played I rolled like 15 1's in a row (3.5 D&D) got a little buttmad
>>
>>49901363
>I'm so used to being the party face that I tend to do all the group's talking
wouldn't be too much of an issue if it wasn't for the fact that I still do it when playing character with no social skills to speak of
>>
>>49901402
I do this for different reasons but for the same results. Much as people complain about retarded pc plans if you actually construct solid, well researched plans the GM hates you even more.
>>
>>49901363
Have to regulate my backseat GMing going from helpful to obnoxious.
>>
File: 1565498143.jpg (49KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
1565498143.jpg
49KB, 600x337px
>>49901363
Sometimes I argue about rules, for a maximum of one or two minutes.

If things don't interest me I zone out and don't pay attention anymore.

There are some instances in which I interrupt the GM.

I don't use coasters if none are provided.

I still think I'm better than 80% of the other players.
>>
>>49901363
I re-use a lot of assets, make pretty edgy characters, and I tend to fall into a follower role, less so much being a proactive part of the story and more being a background asset that can be roleplayed with and mostly obeys a specific character depending on group dynamic.

Fortunately I have a couple regulars who like being my characters' handlers for lack of a better word.
>>
File: out of control idiot.png (295KB, 460x480px) Image search: [Google]
out of control idiot.png
295KB, 460x480px
No matter what character I play, I can never be serious and always end up playing the character as an over the top parody.

I don't know why. I'm great at DMing but hate DMing. I'm a shit player but love playing.
>>
>>49901363
I tend to trust the True Neckbeard player to make better decisions than I do, and second-guess my own decisions, mostly due to one or two GMs who may have just been trying to fuck over the party to begin with, but I didn't catch on to that.

also, I cannot pick up subtlety most of the time, because fairly high-function but still on the spectrum.
>>
I consider myself a pretty good player, but even after four years of regularly playing, i still have trouble keeping track of all of my stat bonuses and other small math on my character sheet.

As a result I'm usually less effective than I should be whenever I do anything.

But it doesn't really bother me. It is what it is.

I also feel like I'm running out of unique ideas for my characters. I've had some great ideas, but I try not to re use them as much as possible.

I don't dm often, but my group almost consensually agrees that I'm one of the best out of all of us. The problem is that I love creating settings and epic stories, but I always want to play in them myself rather than be the dm.
>>
>I GM so often that when I don't I still memorize the system and make comments and corrections with the current GM
>Due to above I'm usually asked and questioned about any minor changes to system or setting, even if I don't know the details.
>Optimize characters for ranged support regardless of system.
>>
>>49904363
I know that feel anon. One of my Anima players is looking to try running again(I initially took over when he couldn't come up with plot hooks), and I'm having trouble NOT optimizing a character for social combat and non-lethal takedowns. But then again, the other player always chooses gimmick/combat-focused builds, so I kinda gotta to cover the bases.
>>
>>49901363
>use heavy accents for my characters
That wouldn't be that bad, but I often hear a "what was that supposed to mean?" from many people and toned it down

>never play optimised characters
I just want to play a character, not a utility belt with legs
>>
>when I get bored with my party spending an hour arguing over what to do I'll just do something
>I have played a Chaotic stupid Good cleric before
>My problem is impulse control.
>>
>>49901363
In my current Shadowrun campaign, it's that I love shadowrunning too much, especially for the planning, but accidentally minmaxed my character for combat.
And that she's useless outside of said combat.
>>
>>49904501
I wish people in my group would do more voices. Right now it's bunch of self inserts just snoozing past NPC dialogue to get to the killing part.
>>
>>49901363
I only play humans, cyborgs and robots. I simply can't enjoy playing anything else.
I also couldn't play a jedi to save my life. I don't really fall to the darkside, I jump head-first into it. It's just so fun until the real Sith fucks you over.
>>
>>49904501
If /tg/ has taught me anything, it's that whenever you're joining a group or expecting new players you always want to study the rules of the game you're playing REAL GOOD and make as optimized a character as you can in case they start antagonizing you and acting like massive horrid cunts.
>>
File: klim inna dress.jpg (668KB, 800x833px) Image search: [Google]
klim inna dress.jpg
668KB, 800x833px
>>49901363
>>
File: Now that is a smug spider.png (107KB, 370x303px) Image search: [Google]
Now that is a smug spider.png
107KB, 370x303px
I have no flaws and my group should use me as a role model to become a perfect player.
>>
As a gm I'll meticulously Create ways for npcs to be immune to player abilities directly, only to never notice how they can indirectly fuck up.

Example. Running a vampire the masquerade game where a tremere took the ability to conjure fire. I set up an instance where he and the villain are in a car that's rigged to explode if he tried his fire magic.

Tremere player waits till he's let out then ignites the gas tank blowing the car up and killing the villain
>>
>>49901363
I find combat boring and tedious unless skills come into play. It kinda sucks because usually the other players are into combat.
>>
>>49901363
I live with the level of caution that most people would consider paranoia. This prevents me from playing particularly clever or scheming characters.

I subconsciously hate physical contact, this makes me bad at playing romance.

My job has irregular schedule, I can't plan session / confirm attendance more than 3 days in advance.
>>
I am incredibly passive, even though I do pay attention.
At least I make characters that accommodate this, more or less.
>>
File: no end in sight.png (382KB, 586x424px) Image search: [Google]
no end in sight.png
382KB, 586x424px
>>49901363
>>
>>49901363
>I use player knowledge to act in character, but I don't always take advantage of it.

>Fluffy tail. All day e'ryday
>>
File: Fluffy Wolf Tail.gif (505KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Fluffy Wolf Tail.gif
505KB, 1280x720px
>>49905810
>Touch Fluffy Tail
>A flaw
Pick one, anon.
>>
File: 1458684708390.png (690KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1458684708390.png
690KB, 5000x5000px
I'm a bad at roleplaying my characters. Once made an ex-alcoholic war-lord type character who I turned out to play as a whiney, "don't fall off the horse" bitch.

Then I tried playing a barbarian-turned-monk who was supposed to be this calm, clear-headed badass, and I played him like a stupid goody-two-shoes bitch.

I seem to do fine when DMing according to friends, but I make a terrible player.
>>
>>49906157
My group has one player who literally only makes alcoholic characters. No matter the setting, they are always wasted 24/7. It gets cringeworthy,
>>
>>49906212
First PC was just someone who was oblivious, drinking and whoring as his people got murdered. Something like 9/11 happened, decimating a great portion of his species population. Concept was he sobered up and put himself through actual torture/training in the hands of some war priests, supposedly coming out of it a badass.

The other one wasn't really a drunk, just a barbarian that went feral after losing his wife. Some monks found him, beat the shit out of him, and made him see reason again. Dude was supposed to go out with this newfound clarity and wisdom to figure out who he really is.

They seemed to work as concepts, but in-game I couldn't make them work. Is there a reason that player keeps making alcoholic characters? Seems like it can be disruptive as fuck.
>>
>>49907579

>Is there a reason that player keeps making alcoholic characters? Seems like it can be disruptive as fuck.

My guess is that he just thinks alcohol is the coolest shit ever.

My GM actually gave his character weakness to fire since he is always soaked in alcohol.
>>
I sometimes correct DM on the lore. I know I am right but he is DM and his word is the truth on the game, I guess it is because I waste a lot of time reading that shit. Also I can get a bit OOC when enemies refuse to die.
>>
File: TouchFluffyTail.webm (1MB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
TouchFluffyTail.webm
1MB, 1280x800px
>>49905885
I'm self aware, Anon. It gives me courage to face the normies.
>>
File: guess i'll go fuck myself.jpg (223KB, 1200x859px) Image search: [Google]
guess i'll go fuck myself.jpg
223KB, 1200x859px
>>49901363
Whenever I'm GMing, I always think about how I could do a much better job at GMing than the current GM.

I can't help it. I've been a Forever GM for so long that I always compare myself to them and find them wanting. Thankfully, I keep my thoughts to myself.
>That's not how -I- would do that
>His description wasn't detailed enough
>This battle could have been spiced up with some terrain hazards
>Those enemies were forgettable and dull, should have done this instead
>This dungeon is too straightforward, should have had more traps and secret doors
>That NPC was so plain, should have given him a colourful hat or a cool cape or an accent
>Oh, look, this monster again. Fucking yawn.
>>
Its why I quit playing table top games,despite my deep love for them. I have zero ability to roleplay, I can put all my passion into a character, and I fall flat in performance. I don't know why or what I could ever do to fix it.
>>
>>49905885
Source?
>>
File: please do not.jpg (137KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
please do not.jpg
137KB, 500x500px
>>49901363
I'm shit at improvisation but I love playing the classes that are Charisma-based, especially bards. This frequently results in players appointing me the party face because I have the highest Charisma and social class skills.
>>
My biggest weakness is that I inevitably end up taking charge of the group I'm with, coming up with intricate plans or suggestions or being the one who starts taking action. But, in my defense, most of the groups I'm with, when the GM says, "What do you do?" everyone just sits there like a bump on a log. So I've gotten used to just taking control of the party.

Unfortunately I've done it so many times that even when I try not to I inevitably end up giving suggestions or steering the group in a certain direction.
>>
If I fall in combat I stay bitter with whatever I roll for the rest of the session.

I'm too nervous to run my own campaign so I tend to world build small things the DM hasn't stated yet.
>the DM's I've played with seem to like it when I do but I know they want me to DM my own game

I can't do anything edgy, meaning I ruin the mood of any grim campaign.
>>
>>49908375
>I can't do anything edgy, meaning I ruin the mood of any grim campaign.

why there was one time i captured the leader of an goblin tribe and because he insulted my mother i cut his limbs off and seald the wounds with a torch i took from the wall, then the group was all like WOAH and then time went all wibbley wobbely and none of that happened because i was playing a barbarian that collected trophies and well troll ball sack coin "sack".

just do something like that i guess.
>>
>>49908560
yeah also i was trying to scare his subordinates in to submission so that i could pressgang them in to my (still early) tribe, but you know i got to dark for them.
>>
>>49901363
I'm not an off-the-cuff creative sort and I've mostly played in campaigns where the DM will wipe the party if that's the way the dice fall, so instead of spending a long time creating a backstory and a build for a character that may end up dying like a bitch I default to either "gruff veteran" or "raging berserker" and follow online guides for builds.

Was there a war recently? I fought in it. I'm adventuring either because it's all I know how to do or because I'm a thrill-seeker who can only get a stiffy in a fight. Or both.

Also, I'm a /k/ommando who's not entirely satisfied with any system that isn't thoroughly accurate when it comes to firearms and their use. I want to track every individual round in every magazine and I want to record the impact of every individual bullet on my enemy's bodies.
>>
>>49909145
I do find it to be very satisfying, handling individual round counts in individual magazines for different encounters. Something about it just hits my 'tism just right.
>>
File: 1418550720907.jpg (62KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
1418550720907.jpg
62KB, 750x600px
>>49909145
can we swap lives, i have always felt that my DM's has been softballing things, its kinda boring, i want to have half the team barely hanging on to life t the end of a fight it makes it exciting.
>>
File: n30sndraLb1reryqxo1_400.gif (2MB, 350x188px) Image search: [Google]
n30sndraLb1reryqxo1_400.gif
2MB, 350x188px
>>49901363

I have a weakness for goofy, even cartoonish character concepts. I also have an obsession with finding ways to make said concepts ridiculously effective. More than once, I've saddled my group with a character I created purely because the idea made me giggle, who ends up steamrolling encounters and outliving all the far more dramatic and interesting people.
>>
>>49901363
As a player I am very annoyed when games are not taken seriously. I do not show up to play in order to giggle at toilet humor and "cuhrayzee" things.

I loathe D&D such that I completely refuse to play it in any form, or even d20 at all these days. This isn't a flaw, but I also hate people that play it, and sometimes these people worm their way into games that I'm playing in and want to talk excited about their "builds" and such, which makes me sometimes do things in-character to try and get them to leave the game.
>>
>>49901363
I tend to do that one thing that while perfectly in character for me, just upsets the setting/party/campaign.

Examples:
Spiking the drinks of the rest of the party with a cure, because their argument about whether or not to take the cure was going nowhere.

Cold blood murder goons of the loanshark I had a vengeance plot with. (after capture and subdual) Causing the party to split into 2 camps. (Our paladin seriously disagreed, and brought law enforcement)

Charging the guy we had to protect, because he killed his brother. Jeopardising our mission. (or rather, annoying the goody two shoes two faced hypocrite of a paladin (different player))
>>
>>49909651
you are kinda a dick
>>
>>49901363
I take shit way too personally from ic to ooc. I never let ooc knowledge or actions influence ic, but I get attached to characters and get upset if bad shit happens to them. At the same time though, if you've got hundreds of hours in a character shouldn't you be entitled to some attachment?
>>
>>49909714
I want nothing to do with people that prattle on and on about how they can "totally one-shot pretty much everything" and try to shoehorn alignment and all the stupid game-y bullshit that comes with their skirmish wargame into the RPG that I'm playing.
>>
>>49909719
Why not just retire them?
>>
i'm an edgelord who can't help but make evil leaning optimized characters. shit, last time i tried to paladin he was a flagellant who, if he ever caught the recurring enemy wizard, would either mercy kill him or cut off his hands and tongue, brand him a mage in a mage-hating society, and leave him on the road
>>
>>49909735
That anon was wrong. You aren't kind of a dick. You are a massive dick.
>>
>>49909777
Chekt
>>
>>49901363
I have a tendency to make characters that are basically walking plot devices.
>cultist of not cthulhu
>full deus vult paladin
>chaotic-drunk Halfling

I can not be trusted with any magic item, no matter how useless, or mundane.

I struggle to play low int chars and when I do I'll just end up feeding ideas to whoever is playing a high int char
>>
>>49910224
Fuck of deendee-rone
>>
File: Fluffy tail status - Touched.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
Fluffy tail status - Touched.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>49907989
I can dig it. Enjoying fluffy tail, but having the presence of mind to not bring it up to someone who would not fucking care, or might be weirded out by it, is a good thing. Then again, I've had arguments, in a game store, with at least two other players on avoiding using every consumable you come across in Corruption of Champions.

>>49908227
Apples & Economics, aka Spice & Wolf
>>
>>49910709
>REEEEEE
>>
File: e37.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
e37.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>49910751

I'd ask how such a conversation began, but I'm kind of afraid of the answer.

Then again, something something glass houses something something bigass rocks.
>>
File: Chen No.jpg (355KB, 1000x745px) Image search: [Google]
Chen No.jpg
355KB, 1000x745px
>>49911177
Firstly, nice dubtripdubs.
And I can't remember how the convo started. Something about one blaming the other for getting him hooked on it, maybe something about a tentacled horror from the Skulls n Shekels campaign we were in, I just remember giving them both grief for NOT going the pure human knight of justice and courtly love route.
Needless to say, we're good friends now.
>>
>>49901363

Even when I don't want to make characters that are very chatty and at least a little comedic, they wind up that way anyway. Sometimes it's to push the rest of the group along so it's not so bad, but more often it's just because I have more fun being the talkative type, without regard for if that suits the characters.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 188x268px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 188x268px
>I like to play a Joe Everyman

>Joe Everyman gets really skiddish if people start dying

>Joe Everyman doesn't know how to deal with killing others

>Joe Everyman doesn't know too well how to use a sword, but is alright at diplomacy

>Joe Everyman doesn't want to go in the dungeon. It's scary.

>Joe Everyman is a great father and don't you fucking say otherwise or he'll beat the shit out of you

>Joe Everyman throws up after he realized that he's a bad guy by most people's standards

>Joe Everyman really starts to heavily drink after a while and doesn't really like himself anymore

>Joe Everyman remembers the days when he was just a blacksmith making the forks that the village needed. Those were the better days.
>>
File: clickety clack.jpg (139KB, 927x380px) Image search: [Google]
clickety clack.jpg
139KB, 927x380px
>>49901455

I can never roll over a ten in a combat encounter, so my primary goal when I see combat coming is to buff players or avoid the encounter with skill checks, and when possible I take ten on those skill checks. I imagine it must get really boring for other players when I say "I take ten" on a key skill check for the fifth time in the last ten minutes.
>>
>>49905078

I know that feel, my current game is mostly going fine, but I'm still making careful moves to keep myself in a powerful position in the party. Notably i have double the HP of some of the front line fighters at this point, as the mage.

Mostly I mildly trick them without letting them know anything is going on, like tricking the big thick toughy into giving me 400 gold more than the item he asked me to craft him costs to craft, netting me a significant wealth boost.
>>
>>49901363
Most of the characters I play are self-righteous.
I can sometimes suffer from Main Character Syndrome and need to stay self-aware or snap myself out of it.
My characters tend to be either total prudes or slightly more lusty than average.
>>
>>49901363
I do everything I can to either avoid combat encounters entirely or avoid fighting them on equal terms, I always try to lure the enemies into an ambush/traps, demolish the entire building they're in or just bypass the encounter all together with stealth or charisma or any other skill I can think of
>>
>>49909777
Respect for the trips.
Anyway, it's not that they're really retirable. We had a weekly dungeon crawl session and I had two characters to help party balance, but inbetween sessions a couple of the players and the gm would do rp stuff. So the xp would be slow and there would be several more hours of rp than dc. (We never gained anything from rp so we didn't get an edge, it was just for fun.) Both my characters made it to just before level 7 (dnd 5e) when I had to quit due to lack of home.
>>
File: 1460317207481.jpg (54KB, 564x791px) Image search: [Google]
1460317207481.jpg
54KB, 564x791px
I hate Pathfinder to the point that I find it almost unplayable.

This is only a problem because it's the ONLY game cool people around me play. People from the internet are generally garbage and the select few I've found that aren't are only interested in Pathfinder. I'm in a weird timezone so there's not a lot of choice.
There's only one group I know IRL who will run anything else and the GM hits on me too much.

I do know a lot of people I like being around who are into RPGs but none of them are interested in GMing except my best friend

who only wants to run pathfinder.

I wish I could just enjoy playing.
>>
>>49912287
I know that feel, bro.

I hate D&D and PF. I don't like classes, generic fantasy, or the system itself.

But nobody wants to play Traveller or Eclipse Phase, or GURPS. No, they "don't want to buy more books," and "I don't have time to read all the books right now," then "we already have D&D let's just play that."

D&D and PF are the compromise systems. No matter what you want to play, either someone will object, or they won't have the books, or something. But everyone already knows D&D so it winds up being D&D or nothing, so you play even if you don't like D&D.
>>
>>49901363
I frequently use the reasoning "It's what my character would do"

On the up side, I take this into account and make characters that have reasons to not fuck over the party.
>>
>>49912384
Ugh, that sucks worse than my situation. My group is willing to learn rules light systems at least, I'm going to teach them Dogs in the Vineyard after our current arc ends or we take a break.

God speed anon. Maybe we'll get lucky someday soon.
>>
>>49901363
This isn't so much a flaw as a player, but as a person doing things in general, i find it hard to emote things that my characters are doing. Its hard for me to actually make noises or sound effects, or do voices, or even just saying certain things, despite my wanting the character to do so.

I'm pretty awkward about that.
>>
>>49912287
>>49912384
Both of you need to put more effort into online, or you will be stuck playing D&D forever.
>>
>>49912884
Keep at it anon, I used to have the same problem until I dmed a campaign where you're forced to do those things as npcs for the game then came back to being a player after. Helped me a lot.
>>
>>49901363
I'm too handsome.
>>
File: 55e.jpg (67KB, 569x571px) Image search: [Google]
55e.jpg
67KB, 569x571px
We have one player in our group who is an impulsive fuck that always drags us into combat and bad situations. Honestly I think he has bipolar, doesn't do to well for RP and shit. He's just a crazy raging murderhobo without any sense of control.
>>
>>49912982
Force him to play VtM or something.
>>
>>49913000
All he wants to play is DnD and DnD like games, I don't think he even sees himself as a blood thirsty murderhobo. I think in some sort of crazed fantasy he see's himself as actually RPing and "progressing" the story. I am trying to make him see the error of his ways but I think he's just too damn crazy.
>>
>>49912947
Yeah, its just something i'll need to power through. Its more or less stage fright.
>>
>>49913051
Fuck his shit up then and cut off his supply of game.
>>
I can't help but insert my fetish into games when I GM

Most of my players know this too
>>
>>49901363
Can't help but wax chaotic in my impulses, even when I'm playing a lawful character. It's so much easier to fall from grace than to be a white knight all the time.
>>
I really like making people laugh. It's one of my favorite things to do.

This makes playing serious characters very difficult (and even a little boring) as they're usually solemn or quiet.

I think I'm most comfortable as the party face, and I'll usually try to talk my way into or out of most things.
>>
>>49910709
you aren't a dick because you hate D&D.

You are a dick because you just blatantly hate the very thought of it with no tolerance to speak of, to the point of ruining things for people that even dare to mention it.

Congratulations, you are That Guy.
>>
I can't help myself from min maxing characters. Even if i role-play well and write a good character back story I end up being MacGyver mixed with terminator.
>>
>>49911813
>being a good rogue is a flaw as a player

Isn't this a legit playstyle in most things?
>>
>>49913409
I'd imagine the issue is its hard to have a group dynamic once things go hairy if one guy wants to do it his way when everyone else took a more 'tradional' approach to fighting. Self preservation and playing it smart is one thing, always going out of your way to "negate" the encounter every single time and thus steal any spotlight the party tank/fighter could have is another.
>>
File: my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg (13KB, 268x268px) Image search: [Google]
my-brain-is-full-of-fuck.jpg
13KB, 268x268px
>>49901363
This isn't a flaw with me, but another guy.

He is one of the most dungeon crashingest, murderhoboest, not liking long times of Rpest player i know of.

And he plays almost exclusively bards.

>>49913462
That just means the dm needs to be better at countering his shit every now and again.
>>
My ultimate flaw as a player is that I'm not one.

I've only ever done freeform. I've extensively tried to find a group IRL, but it just isn't there in my community. I have no experience or confidence to start it in my community, either. Finally, I'm afraid of Roll20 because I know no one and nothing.
>>
>>49913497
I dont disagree, but its far from the best or the only solution. I'm of the opinion that in that situation, the party is more at fault for not being on the same page. If you want everyone to have a good time, you need a session 0 or some plan as to how/why everyone works together and to not overshadow anyone in execution. If 2 players concepts/playstyles clash, you gotta get that shit sorted. A good gm can do their best to give everyone their moment, but people aren't perfect. That and it can be difficult to separate challenges for specific party members when everyone wants to approach it their way, and most parties refuse to split up even if an objective/quest would encourage it.

Also that was just a guess as to why its a problem for that anon, so its more for them to say.
>>
>>49913655
My DM actively discourages splitting up, so i understand this a bit better than you'd think.

that said, its not that hard to force a fight. and even if the person themselves avoid that fight, it doesn't necessarily mean the rest of the group do.

Frankly, i find it an interesting playstyle, but there are ways to counter it.
>>
I'm really new, and I'm awful at the roleplay side. I'm not very quick to think up things to say, but at the same time, the party has seemingly made me the 'face' of the group, which I suspect may partially be to make me better at it.
>>
File: 1473756790945.png (58KB, 381x332px) Image search: [Google]
1473756790945.png
58KB, 381x332px
I am a Bully.

My DM is dragging his heals making and planning every aspect of his campaign (and having been the group's last DM), I push and shove and try to pull him to make him abandon his absolute need for control and planning. People pleasing too. If he were to throw a ball, he'd spend an hour and a half debating and studying about how to throw it before actually trying.

I've also argued with other players as to why they always feel the need to be special goddamn snowflakes, and how they can create great characters through writing and character progression, not by having the DM make them a homebrew composite of four different already homebrew classes.

Again, I am a bully. That is my sin.
>>
>>49914042
I'm not sure if this is your sin, or if you are doing gods work.

Knowing Christianity though, probably both.
>>
>>49914190
Eh. Coming from what the root word that sin stems from, you aren't necessarily wrong.
>>
I get too fucking loud. Especially when I'm really in character and that character is angry or terrified.
>>
File: 1477181922850.png (591KB, 722x832px) Image search: [Google]
1477181922850.png
591KB, 722x832px
>>49910709
>>
I keep steamrolling shit with ridiculous plans.
I'm pretty sure the DM is throwing deadly creatures at us because of this.
The only way we survive is with more ridiculous plans.
It's a vicious cycle.
>>
>>49901363
>i always play "straight man" type characters, being normal while everyone else goofs around
>take my characters more seriously than anyone else, always overplan backstory and character concept
>out of character i'm a big dumb goofball all the fucking time
>try not to mix, but sometimes i forget to and my character goes ooc for some dumb joke
>somehow manages to fuck up and do something ooc despite me having very clear ideas of what my character is all about
>generally kind of a passive player, never grips initiative
I'm kind of shit, really.
>>
>>49910751
>using every consumable
That's absolutely pleb-tier.
>>
>>49914042
>>49914190
>>49914342
'Satan' means 'Enemy', and often referred to the prosecutor in a court. Obviously, a prosecutor's job is to prove the accused guilty, so it's important to remember that sometimes being inconsiderate of someone else's feelings is necessary in correcting their actions. Whether their actions need to be corrected or not is another thing.
>>
File: IMG_0952.jpg (122KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0952.jpg
122KB, 1920x1080px
>spend a lot of time on a character concept
>1 session later I'm bored and want to roll up a new one
>>
>>49901363

I have discovered, to my shame, that I am a powergamer who demands to have some impact on combat. Today in D&D I got off the first *four* shots of combat with a level 5 ranger.

I also bring RL tactical knowledge into games: I'm not ex-military or particularly good at it (though I do read some military science stuff in my free time, limited as it is), but between what I've read and time I've spent in murder simulators, I'm almost always the victor in combat.

Finally, I zone out. Some of this has gotten worse recently: I work 50-60 hours a week, and take work home with me. That leaves me pretty tired and it's been impacting my concentration, but I've never been a saint about it.

Hell, back when I was the forever GM, I wound up zoning out every third session or so.

>>49901402

I do the same thing (and also cut my teeth on Shadowrun), though the difference is that 75% of my fellow players don't have any tactical savvy or planning ability (or don't care to use it—we have a guy who's really competent but roleplays inept characters).
>>
>>49914670
Oh, and my characters always wind up being angsty. I think some of that's just down to my general misanthropy.
>>
>>49914592
You speak true. But my original meaning is that sin in Greek (koine, for those who wish to know), is an archery term, and is put simplest as "missing the mark".
>>
File: descartes.jpg (142KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
descartes.jpg
142KB, 1200x1200px
>>49912287
What if you roll to seduce the GM to convince them to run a system you like more?
>>
Anyone else here that can't play evil characters?
>>
>>49913113
Is this this one >>45745684
>Setting where average or girly males have a prostate that's similar to a hymen, so it breaks the first time they get fucked so they can never get an erection again and just need it in the ass
>>
>>49914913
I pretty consistently try to avoid it, and usually worry about the morality of my characters' actions a lot. It's basically because my motivation to play tends to be feeding my power fantasies, and for some reason my power fantasies are about being strong enough to do the right thing rather than about being able to hurt people without meaningful retribution.
>>
I am forever GM and with good reason. Every time I get to be a player, I essentially become a backseat GM who intentionally behaves like a stupid player just to see how my GMing style differs from that of whoever is running the game.
>>
>>49915051
I tend to backseat GM, but only in the regard that i try to wrangle the tards in our group and help figure out base mechanics we do or don't know about. Swimming, for example, we learned the other day, in 3.x/PF. Lot more lenient than we expected it to be.

I also do things like rule lawyer spells and things, both for and against players. I basically just make sure they're being interpreted correctly, because our GM occassionally misreads things.
>>
I play my characters more like it's me on vacation to whichever world I'm in. Escorting Beer and Meat? fuck yeah I'll try some of that. Just got to a new town and someone's immediately asked for my help? No thanks I'm gonna look around for a bar and somewhere to chill

I always play a warrior type class in everything and tend to stand back and watch as my allies rush in to fight, then run in for the glory. Last time I played dnd with some friends I sat back getting pissed with the cleric until there was only one enemy left, I finished him off with a javelin but the GM was pissed off with me so he he said it obliterated all the loot.
>>
>>49916265
Did you just use 'pissed' to mean both the Britbong and the Burgerstan sense in the same sentence?
>>
>>49901363
I like self-consistent worlds. This means that if something looks not right I may start investigating it in character which sometimes leads to a lot of frustration for DM.

Also I like devising some ridiculous plans that rarely work but almost always lead to some derailment. Like using the most terrible bard in the world to torture people. Or punching dragons in the face in the air. Or using eating utensils to escape from a prison tower. (The last one worked.)
>>
>>49914928

That's not how that works anon.
>>
I can't put voices or accents because of my social insecurity
>>
File: Y I play rogue.jpg (93KB, 442x528px) Image search: [Google]
Y I play rogue.jpg
93KB, 442x528px
>>49914928
>>
>>49916889
That's the fetish.
>>
I play the "Good guy.jpg" character too much and tend to dislike killing intelligent non-savage humanoids if possible. I mean if we're fighting non-fantacial cultists and bandit type encounters, I'd rather beat everyone up and leave them bruised and unconcious and reconsidering their life choices rather than just paint the walls red.

I mean I understand D&D is a game and the enemy are the antagonists, I don't force "Wait, no DON'T kill the precious kobolds! They are innocent snowflakes!" but I'm getting sick of playing with a group of murderhobos who don't understand that forcing a wounded bandit to surrender, promising to let him go if he gives up information, then slitting his throat once they get the info is not something the PALADIN of the party should instigate, who saw nothing wrong with the situation "Uhh, the Bandits are the bad guys remember? Plus If we let him live he will just attack us later, duh".
>>
>>49919836
You have a stupid fetish and should be ashamed if you ever magical realm.
>>
>>49901363
Always a sarcastic asshat, or that guy who buys watermelons and a power drill and practices on them like they were heads in the back of a supermarket parking lot in front of some native kids.

Oh, and I hate power discrepancies between me and other PCs. I like everyone having a use.
>>
File: desire-to-know.jpg (86KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
desire-to-know.jpg
86KB, 640x512px
>>49919994
>buys watermelons and a power drill and practices on them like they were heads in the back of a supermarket parking lot in front of some native kids.

uwot?

Native to where as opposed to?
>>
>>49901363
In serious games I tend to play walking parodies or comic relief characters, but in lighthearted games I really get into character and play it all straight.
>>
I always make neutral characters but play them as chaotic good because I can't get into any mindset other than "hero" easily
>>
>>49912287
Have you tried GMing? If you as the GM decide on a system most players will at least give it a try.
>>
I've never played evil or really neutral stuff. Heck, I've never even actually thought about making an evil character . Most of the time, shit ranges from lawful good to lawful neutral. I guess I should be more diverse.
Despite being quite eager to RP and loving the shit out of this, I'm always building combat-centered characters, seriously undermining whatever chance I can have a social stuff.
I'm a rather serious player who stick to the rules but can get a good laugh when I'm feeling good. However, most of the time, I'm quite insipid in my way of playing (this is also due to above mentioned), usually aiming for the Good Samaritan or some boring shit like this.

I guess I'm just made of contradictions.
>>
>>49901363
Since I was a forever DM in the past, I'm not used to having only a single character on my hands. I have dozens of characters in mind and I grow tired easily when I play most of them, thinking I should've picked another one. If I was DM a lot of them would be NPCs or enemies, and their relatively small importance and screentime will prevent me from getting bored with them.

Also it's very hard for me to not make comments that break the immersion, like those guys who speak loud at the cinema. For the same reason, they're always comments that wouldn't feel out of place if I was directing the game. I pretty much solved this second problem, though.
>>
>>49901363
I zone out sometimes, if I get bored, and when I zone out, I zone out hard and miss everything that's going on until I snap out of it. It sucks for everyone.
>>
>>49901363
I never do voices
>>
>>49901363
Have a severe addiction for optimisation.
I am also a prolific roleplayer at the same time and tend to flesh out my characters quite intensely, but my optimisation talk can easily drown chats and even scare away people.
>>
>>49923149
>I pretty much solved this second problem, though.
But how?
Thread posts: 134
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.