[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What fighting styles would be appropriate in a post-apoc world?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 17

What fighting styles would be appropriate in a post-apoc world? I mean, fights would be rather boring if all you got is wild-swinging psychos compared to fantasy where you have the wide-swings barbarian, the professional soldier, the acrobatic dual-wielding elf and so on
>>
>>49896865
How far post-apoc? Far enough for bullets to become a scarce resource? or just far enough for the gasoline to run out? or, like, immediately afterwards?
>>
>>49896865
How the fuck has that guy survived for more than 10 seconds with that retarded "style"
>>
Just spit-balling, I imagine it will be a lot less mano-e-nano, lots more ambushes
>>
>>49896931
He only fights Polish-crafted enemies.
>>
>>49896865

Very cautiously, with backup if at all possible. Post apocalypse probably means post-antibiotics. And that means any deep wound has a decent change of leaving you post life.
>>
>>49896918
Bullets are very hard to obtain. Not completely out but you'd rather use melee unless you must use your gun.

>>49896931
Lore wise I think it's something about he moves and sees others faster than human beings so he can do whatever
>>
>>49896973
Lore Wise Geralt is only supposed to fight monsters and crowds with his retarded spinning styles, and uses regular looking sword attacks on humans, but the games have geralt fighting humans with zany looking moves anyway because muh mutant powers.
>>
>>49896931
lore-wise, when you playing the game you see things as he does, so his movements look normal. In reality, Geralt is sanic fast and has pants-on-head retardly fast reflexes.
>>
>>49896973
Also He only does the sick spins because it apparently disorients the monsters with the silver or something.
>>
>>49896865
>What fighting styles would be appropriate in a post-apoc world?

I doubt anybody in a post-apocalyptic environment would be concerned about style points or duels. They'd probably grab a pointy object and thrust it straight into an opponent's chest or neck.

This is to say nothing of firearms.
>>
>>49896865
Ambushy, skirmishes, etc. A wound probably means death from infection. Though you can argue that people who lived through a few generation in the post-apocalyptic world may boast very robust immune systems. Unless they were suffering defects from radiation. Depends on what fucked everything up.

If you mean on a singular combatant basis, they would probably have hardly any training. Nothing formal. Just what was learned and passed down through the generations. I mean, a novice in boxing(just for example) will get rekt in a street fight as he is not skilled enough to apply his training effectively, the fact that he is in a midterm of learning a new skill will actually make him less effective of a fighter than if he never started learning at all.

So, brutality would reign over disciplined fighting styles for the most part.

Weapon-wise, crude/re-purposed melee weapons would be most common. Look up videos of people reforging hammers/wrenches into hand axes. Stuff like that.
>>
>>49896973
Okay, if you're that far forward, you are going to see a few fighting styles developed:

>1. "Hunting Archer Style"
Stealth Archery, at it's finest: The practitioners are principally people who have taken up the Bow (or crossbow) as their primary means of starting, and finishing, a fight. The style emphasizes not being seen, heard, or smelled, and landing a killing blow first and foremost. Post-apocalypse wildlife is resplendent, and they have lots of practice with killing in such a manner. Their follow up to a non-fatal shot is often accomplished by sprinting to the wounded,crippled target and stabbing them in an exposed vital area for the most damage possible.

>2. Practical Brawler Style
See that bit of rubble? I'm gonna bash your head in with it. This broken steel pipe? Mine now. I'll let you hold it for a bit. Through your eye. C'mere. I'll glass you. Practical Brawler Style places emphasis on using whatever is available to smash, bash and slash your opponent. Your priority here is not so much to Kill your opponent outright, as it is to get your hands on something to do the killing with.

>3. Lost Master Style
You want to talk about fancy footwork, crazy martial arts combat? Ever seen someone with physical strength, but their technique is just- wrong? Lost Master Style is practiced, incorrectly exclusively. Pieced together from pre-apocalypse media, Lost Master style is flashy, impractical, and extremely intimidating, even if it isn't always effective.
>>
>>49897119
Thing is, life in the apocalypse will probably leave you with at least some free time, and given the fact knowing how to fight is a fairly nessecary skill I believe at least some people will train SOMETHING. Even if not in an organized gym or anything. Question is, what will that be.
>>
>>49896865
Consider the kinds of fighting styles that are taught in real life and what their purposes are. In a post-apocalyptic wasteland, you're not trying to score points on a mat or make your opponent tap out or impress the judges, you're trying to kill your opponent as quickly and efficiently as possible. I imagine the martial arts that have practical applications in police and military would become popular, provided there are people left to teach others.

Styles with elements that might be useful could include Muay Thai, maybe Krav Maga (if you buy into the hype), Systema, Judo or Jujutsu, and other hard or mixed hard/soft styles. I can't imagine many pure soft styles surviving very long, given the emphasis on rugged survival and toughness in the wasteland.

But I also know very little about martial arts and only have four years of muay thai, so maybe I'm talking out of my ass. Either way, hard styles fit with the aesthetic of a post-apocalyptic setting, since they tend to be very brutal and direct.
>>
File: 1468953200486.jpg (122KB, 768x1041px) Image search: [Google]
1468953200486.jpg
122KB, 768x1041px
>>49896865
>What fighting styles would be appropriate in a post-apoc world?
Hokuto Shinken
>>
>>49898484
/thread
>>
>>49896931
The games over exaggerate a lot about the setting and Geralt in particular. He is a lot less of a fightan' magic Mary Sue in the books. I really want to defend it more because I love the games and the books but I can't.

Also has the steel sword isn't exclusively for humans. Some monsters are weak to steel and some weak to silver so he needs both.
>>
>>49896865
Gun.
>>
>>49896865
A solid, diverse mix of combat tactics.

>Armstrong Style Martial Arts
>Pro Wrestling
>Bowmanship
>Discussion/Hints
>Small Firearms
>Firework-Rockets
>Incendiary-Filled Bottles
>Swords, Glaives, Clubs/Basball Bats
>Vehicular Combat
>Many more
>>
File: lawstops.png (815KB, 496x673px) Image search: [Google]
lawstops.png
815KB, 496x673px
>>49898484
[atatatatatata intensifies]
>>
>>49897034
Also to gain power. Some monsters have hard carapaces so breaking through them even in weak spots may be hard.

But if you read the books against human opponents he is scarily effective with no flashy moves and people just dropping left and right when he hits them in unprotected areas. Like in the armpits or between helmet and chest armor. He moves besides them and they just drop bleeding with maybe half a minute more to live.
>>
>>49897018
>>49901659
In fact he is really shit against crowds
This is why he died to some peasant
He killed a ton of people on the bridge because they coudn't surround him
>>
>>49896865

Staff fighting. Staves are easy to get and provide very solid defense. Some might have a bladed end, some might not, but lots of people will have something like a quarterstaff to protect themselves. These kinds of things are also great for herding animals and driving off hungry predators.

Archery. Even a lone person with basic tools can make one of these, and unlike a sling it doesn't take literally years to get decent at it.

Long blades. Swords made from scrap steel, machetes, cavalry sabers.. swords are very good sidearms, and without infrastructure, people would fall back on them.

Short blades. Everyone should carry a knife. Some people would be decent at using them in a fight, though the old adage would still hold true. Nobody wins a knife fight, just sometimes you survive one.

Crude firearms. The true bottleneck keeping guns from staying in service is ammunition. Without primers and smokeless powder people could still make shotguns and rifles out of old gun barrels, tubes, wood and simple electric igniters to touch off black powder. These would be more reliable then flintlock weapons from the early 19th century, but otherwise similar to them. With the slow reload cycle you might want to fix bayonets and charge if someone gives you trouble.
>>
>>49901690
>This is why he died to some peasant
Can you not spoil?
>>
File: cluster_access_granted.jpg (132KB, 897x976px) Image search: [Google]
cluster_access_granted.jpg
132KB, 897x976px
>>
>>49896865
Presumably sneaking up and shanking people with a shiv or braining them with a weighty blunt object would be common forms of combat in a post-apocalypse where bullets are not readily available.
>>
>>49896865
Punching

Stabbing
>>
Spear and shield, the ole reliable.
>>
>>49904502
ironically, kukris are primarily slashing weapon
>>
>>49904584
Wouldn't that just make it even more impressive after you manage to ram it through some assholes heart?
>>
>>49901769
Geralt's death is covered in the opening scenes of the first Witcher game.
How's that spoiling anything?
>>
This topic is kind of stupid.

There's no huge different between the variety of fighting styles of fantasy and post apocalyptic setting.

You want a hulking brute with a two-handed weapon that just SMASHES? Done. You want a chick fighter with two knives shanking people as she shakes her tits and ass around in a bikini? Done. You want someone with a spear made from random junk going total tribal? Done. You want the hero going all CQC on people with his signature weapon? Done.

The only thing you can't do so easily is give every hero swords, because if you are making weapons out of crap you scavenge you are much more likely to end up with a knife style blade or a knife style blade at the end of a stick, or an axe style blade at the end of a different stick or just something big and heavy on a short or long stick to suit your preference.
But that seems like a bonus if anything

Crossbows seem pretty popular in post-apocalypse series too, usually moreso than bows?
>>
File: marius-popa-weapon-h-2.jpg (293KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
marius-popa-weapon-h-2.jpg
293KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>49897248
May Thai and Krav Maga could see some use and any surviving marines/SAS/other badasses would have CQC and all sorts of deadly military martial arts.
>>
File: 232315.jpg (713KB, 2168x1503px) Image search: [Google]
232315.jpg
713KB, 2168x1503px
Bōjutsu
Boxing
Butōzan Kinpyō Ken
Chōtō Chihai Ken
Daijō Nan Ken
Fūrai Jukkyoku Ken
Gabi Ken
Gento Kō Ken
Gento Ryū Ken
Gentetsu Ken
Hakuja Ken
Hakusō Myō Ken
Hakkyoku Ken
Hokuda Shin Ken
Hokumon no Ken
Hokuto Mumyō Ken
Hokuto Ryū Ken
Hokuto Sanka Ken
Hokuto Shin Ken
Hokuto Sōke no Ken
Jadō Ken
Jūji Ken Nunchaku
Juryū Razan Jin
Katō Jutsu
Kamegiri
Kazan no Ken
Kenka Kenpō
Kijū Ken
Kō Ken
Kōga Dansui
Kōga Tetsujō Shi
Koken Kosō Shō
Kyokujūji Sei Ken
Kokushō Jūji Ken
Kokuzan Ongyō Ken
Kōshi Byōga Ken
Madō Ryū Ken
Mōko-ryū Yōkin Shō
Nanha Kōkamon Gokei Ken
Nanto Sei Ken
Nichigetsu Sōtō
Nishin Fūrai Ken
Rakan Niō Ken
Ranzan Kurenai Ken
Rettō Hakō Kon
Sanzan-Ryū Ken
Seito Gek Ken
Shuchō Shokei Tōjutsu
Shura Nindō
Sūzan no Ken
Taikyoku Ryū Ken
Taizanji Kenpō
Tazu Kyōja Kon
Tenkai Muō Ken
Tentei Ken
Tōrō Ken
Toryū Yōko Ken
Yūtō Sekien Bu
>>
>>49905601
I.E.

http://hokuto.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Kenpō
>>
>>49896865
The best fighting style is the one that kills your opponent while keeping you alive.
>>
>>49898484
Hawktoe Shinykeen is the most marysue of fighting styles. Can suddenly appear behind people and then 10 minutes later they explode because you touched them once, you become stronger and tougher than anyone else because you used the hokuto breathing technique, if anyone else uses a technique you can just copy it by seeing it once, you can literally do anything to the human body for good or ill as long as you say you hit a pressure point first...
>>
>>49905886
You forgot, it is the most Marysue because you have to feel infinite sadness and infinite love to master it.

No joke, these are literal requirements.
>>
File: ma.jpg (83KB, 500x673px) Image search: [Google]
ma.jpg
83KB, 500x673px
>>
>>49906213
>Phys Adept and Street Sammie getting into an argument mid-run
>>
File: fe297ffbb62faae7a25c5edbab6591b2.jpg (390KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fe297ffbb62faae7a25c5edbab6591b2.jpg
390KB, 1440x1080px
>>49904614
>>49901769
>>49901690
GERALT OF RIVIA DIES IN MAGMA!!
>>
>>49906550
But his last words are "I will be back."
>>
>>49897248
Do you know what one of the most effective fighting styles in real life is? Wrestling. You learn more moves in wrestling that have the ability to kill people than all of that RBSD bullshit. For reference I am a 2 stripe BJJ blue belt in the Guerrilla Jiu-jitsu style, an Orange belt in Judo and I Boxed and Wrestled throughout most of Middle and High School.
> Systema
Absolute horseshit, has not internal pressure testing of their skills, just old Russian dudes talking about no touch KOs and such. Might as well go do Aikido.
>Judo
Effective as all fucking hell, and is functionally similar to western wrestling in a lot of ways (until the IJF's retarded, you can't touch pants anymore rules changes...)
>Jujutsu
Unless you're talking about Brazilian Jiu-jitsu, this suffers from many of the problems that say, Karate suffers from, there are effective things in there and they don't really pressure test to find out what is what.
>Krav Magoo
I don't buy Krav unless it is taught by like, a member of the IDF, otherwise you're probably just getting fed Systema with a Yamake.
>>49897170
> Your priority here is not so much to Kill your opponent outright, as it is to get your hands on something to do the killing with.
This is remarkably similar to how some Greeks fought. They wouldn't even show up with weapons, their assumption would be that they'd either tackle somebody, kill them and then take their shit, or they'd just go find a bi rock and then do the same. We like to put stock in all these romantic notions of fighting, but this is pretty much on point.
>>
File: 1364354372028.png (231KB, 1037x658px) Image search: [Google]
1364354372028.png
231KB, 1037x658px
>>49906905
To be fair, I did say that I know very little about martial arts and might be talking out of my ass.
>>
>>49896865
>where you have the wide-swings barbarian, the professional soldier, the acrobatic dual-wielding elf and so on
As opposed to the wide-swings raider, the professional settlement mercenary, the acrobatic dual-wielding assassin and so on?
>>
>>49896865
The kind with the lowest inherent risk to yourself.

While there will probably be tribal drug junkies who just rush in and shank someone with complete disregard to their own safety, most people who made it through the apocalypse will be survivalists. They'll pick a defensive fighting style and have a strategy going into a fight.

I saw a lot of people in the thread saying that you should try to strike a killing blow as quickly as possible, but you should consider that winning a fight to the death with even a minor injury is damn difficult. Winning with a broken wrist or ankle is impossible without god emperor tier plot armor.

With that in mind, you'll want a weapon with reach, a shield, or some decent armor. Personally I'd want 6 ft of 1/2 inch steel pipe wrapped in duct tape, and whatever armor I could fashion out of tires and pvc pipe.

Really, the people with the best chance of survival will be those who can fight effectively as a group. A dozen men with the right equipment who drilled together in a shield wall can take on twice their number of skirmishers and suffer few casualties
>>
>>49907018
But what happens when you are busy doing riot cop tactics and the bandits just run you over with their nitro buggies? While snorting drugs made from the ashes of radioactive mutant animals?
>>
>>49907052
Cute, but if there's no bullets I can't imagine there's much gas around.

>riot cop tactics
Maybe you misunderstand, but I'm not planning on leaving these injured people alive. The idea is that a guy with a shattered kneecap is pretty easy to kill a my leisure
>>
>>49907152
>>49907018
You are trying too hard to sound hardcore
>>
File: komando special 9x19.jpg (3MB, 1301x7624px) Image search: [Google]
komando special 9x19.jpg
3MB, 1301x7624px
>>49896865
>>49896973

just a couple reminder on how easy it is to make guns.
>>
>>49906905
What about Boxing and Kickboxing, those are the only styles i am interested in.
But i might give erestling a look, tho'
>>
File: komando special prision gun.jpg (2MB, 1337x3835px) Image search: [Google]
komando special prision gun.jpg
2MB, 1337x3835px
>>49907206
>>
>>49907052
>riot cop tactics
He probably means some legionarie kind of dea
>>
>>49907207
I imagine in the wasteland you're very likely to be set upon by more than one attacker at a time. You're not on a wrestling mat or in a boxing ring, you're in the motherfucking wasteland, and these bandits hopped up on cactus juice and moonshine aren't going to wait their turn.

Grappling and wrestling has its uses, but sometimes you need to put someone down in as few hits as possible and break off to deal with the OTHER guy who is trying to cave in your cranium with his brick-on-a-stick.
>>
>>49907197
You think so? I was going for sensible. Survival in post-apocalyptictia is a pretty hardcore thing outside of a fallout game
>>
>>49907267
>I imagine in the wasteland you're very likely to be set upon by more than one attacker at a time.
For sure, and so going to ground or engaing in a serious tie-up would be a terrible idea.
>Grappling and wrestling has its uses
Like getting back up onto your feet effectively.
>You need to put someone down in as few hits as possible and break off to deal with the OTHER guy
I don't think that a striking art would still be the best choice here, as you'd still have to get close enough that you could be tied up whilst striking. Grappling and Wrestling has a lot of throws, which actually grow more dangerous since,
>You're not on a wrestling mat or in a boxing ring
WHich means that i'd much rather want to slam someone on the ground and et the fuck out, than try and pound it out on my feet with multiple people.
>>49907207
Boxing and Kickboxing are rather similar, the main thing that changes if the footwork between the two (boxing has much, much more in-depth footwork, since that all their feet have to worry about) and my issue with striking arts is that there's very little guarantee of say, knocking someone out. Conversely, breaking someone's arm or choking them to death tends to be a bit more predictable in nature.
>>
>>49907511
Fair points! I also didn't think of how useful a human shield would be, or the ancient and deadly art of hitting a motherfucker with another motherfucker.
>>
>>49907511
Oh, i just want a martial art to do flashy shit for entertainment and to deck assailants in the face and run away, hitting hard enough to discourage being chased.

Fighting against other martial artists with different styles is not what i am after

Would you recommend doing box with some wrestling on the side for those times when running away is not an option?
>>
>>49901690
>In fact he is really shit against crowds
>he is specifically bad against huge groups of people
>The Butcher of Blaviken
>shit against crowds

Ever read The Last Wish
>>
>>49896947
>>>/pol/
>>
>>49904584
It's actually more like a axe given the way the weight is balanced.
You don't "slash" with an axe and leave cuts; you hack deep into the muscle and tissue with lots of raw force and weight rather then precise cuts.
>>
>>49908422
that's racist
>>
>>49908373
There were just a couple of these guys, he didn's slaughter the entire village (or did he? It's been a while since I read the books)
>>
>>49908069
>to deck assailants in the face and run away
Western Boxing. All you do is hit the bag, condition and spar, that's all that's really needed to become competent at striking arts, most everything else is just window dressing honestly.
>Fighting against other martial artists with different styles is not what i am after
There's a saying I have come across that makes a lot of sense to me, 'Never assume your opponent is untrained, and if you want to kill people, buy a gun.'
>Would you recommend doing box with some wrestling on the side for those times when running away is not an option?
Pretty much, but for self defense you have to realize that any use of force is an escalation, and if you're not willing to escalate a situation and inflict more violence, don't. Honestly with as much training as I've had, I'd still just give the meth-head with the knife my wallet instead of trying to take my chances.
>>
>>49908373
>The Butcher of Blaviken
But that was 8 people and mostly one at the time
>>
File: nepalkukrislaughter-7.jpg (84KB, 532x800px) Image search: [Google]
nepalkukrislaughter-7.jpg
84KB, 532x800px
>>49904584
Well, with a slice being where the edge moves parallel to the surface of the target, a chop being perpendicular, and most cuts being a combination...

With the forward curvature of the kukri it seems very hard to get a primarily slicing cut from any swing with a natural motion. Primarily slicing attacks would seem to be what you use in close range where you've ended up with the edge mostly just placed onto the target.

And while I haven't seen much material around at all regarding fighting with kukri (which will probably be by far the minority of their use), in situations like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ok_Aov4Nnyg they seem to be primarily chopping.

>>49908454
Slicing or chopping doesn't have anything to do with precision really. Going for the most powerful swing you can will probably demand some precision be sacrificed of course, but then again, such a swing is probably seldom a good die in a fight. A bit much of a windup, and far too long recovery if you miss.

Whereas trees are very sturdy things, but poor at dodging, human tissue will tend to be far less stubborn.

As for the balance, my kukri has a centre of mass basically in the middle (of the total length, not the middle of the blade). That just so happens to match the relative placement of the centre of mass of a Chinese yanmaodao I got to molest once.
>>
File: gurkhaPA2405_468x591.jpg (70KB, 468x591px) Image search: [Google]
gurkhaPA2405_468x591.jpg
70KB, 468x591px
>>49908695
You need to have Gurkha blood to fully draw out the true power of the Kukri.
>>
>>49896865
A combination of CQC and close melee. Grapples and short, sharp objects is a deadly combination.
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.