[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the cheapest format of magic between modern and standard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: 1467624460953.jpg (59KB, 400x427px) Image search: [Google]
1467624460953.jpg
59KB, 400x427px
What's the cheapest format of magic between modern and standard ?

The thing is that I wanted to get back to the game for a while but I had no one to play with since all my nerd friends left me.

I recently found a gaming store however its kinda far from me and fnm conflicts with my working schedule, since I work at night.

And to top it off my newest cards are from onslaught, iirc, so since I don't know if this will work out I don't want to spend a lot of money in new cards.
>>
>>49891973
Short term it's standard. But standard rotates so long term it's modern. There are some competitive choices for modern that are relatively cheap that you can start with like burn.
>>
>>49891973
EDH anon, it's objectively the best format as it is. EDH can be played for fun at any skill level, with any cards you have available, and if you have a pile of Onslaught cards, you're bound to have some good staples hidden in the jank. Tons of people build and play commander, and /edh/ is a pretty nice place if you want to talk about theory.
>>
This is the very reason for paper pauper format. Commons are the only cards you can use.

>>49892024

EDH is not cheap, you mongrel
>>
>>49892078
>EDH is not cheap, you mongrel
Sure it is? You can build a mid-tier competitive eternal deck for ~$200. Realistically, you can build a sub $100 jankfest that will still shit on your flgs, if it isn't inhabited exclusively by T1 competitive jackasses.

For example, I laid the smackdown on a $2000 Maelstrom deck with my finely tuned $250 Mazirek deck, that could be even better and cheaper to build, assuming I get those janky old rares that are hard to come by.

Try building a standard deck for $250 that's competitive year over year.
>>
>>49892005
>Short term it's standard. But standard rotates so long term it's modern.

I think I will go with modern then.

>>49892024
>you're bound to have some good staples
Don't think so, last year I was in need of money so I decided to sell my cards. My most expensive card was like $2 and solely because it was a foil, so I ended up not selling.

>>49892078
They have pauper but they do it once a month alongside legacy and vintage.
>>
>>49892132
>$200
>"cheap"

Sure, if Mommy and Daddy have a trust fund set up for you. Some of working class adults prefer not to drop that kind of money on fucking paper cards that will quickly be obsoleted by the end of the year.

I spent less than $20 on my last pauper deck, as it should be.
>>
>>49892230
Oh, so you're an idiot with no intention to invest in the hobby. Good to know, you should really say that when you open so I'd know not to take you seriously.

$200 is a fine price point, well below current standard lists, particularly for eternal playable cards. $100 is babyshoes for "working class adults", if you really can't afford it, you're probably using McDonalds wifi right now, because you sure as shit can't afford $40 a month for internet.
>>
>>49892132
>200
>100

Dude I'm willingly to spend up to 50 bucks at this.
>>
>>49892271
Exactly, use what you've got at home and build based on what your friends/flgs plays. Like I said, $200 is mid-tier competitive, and I've heard of a $20 Mikaleus the Unhallowed deck, as well as hilariously cost effective cantrip decks. Realistically, for $50 you buy a precon in the colours you like, then swap cards from your collection to beef it up in whatever way you see fit. The commander precons are some of the best constructed products in all of magic, and they come highly recommended. I own 3 different ones, I intend on buying one of the new ones as soon as they come out, and I'm a pretty established player with a large collection. While you might not get the bang for your buck singles will, right out of the box the precons are perfectly playable, even at your flgs level.
>>
>>49892271
The Meren box set and $15 worth of singles is the most effective way to spend that money.
>>
>>49892318
>>49892349
Okay, I will give meren a shot then.
Thanks.
>>
>>49892424
Be wary, Meren is one of the more popular commanders at the moment and might draw hate. Objectively, it's one of the better precons of the last run, but unless you LOVE Golgari, or really want to stomp on people, I suggest picking whatever precon fits your preferred colours, over just picking the best one.

Personally, I buy whatever has the highest value in terms of singles, but I'm extremely autistic and I build all my decks from scratch, so it's a little different.
>>
>>49891973
Magic Duels.
>>
>>49892441
Well, I had a BG deck back in the day so yeah.
>>
File: pathbreaker fuck-your-shit.jpg (12KB, 178x248px) Image search: [Google]
pathbreaker fuck-your-shit.jpg
12KB, 178x248px
>>49892490
Go for it, it comes with a lot of neat things like this sassy bastard, eternal witness, my main man Mazirek, and Jarad, Golgari Litch Lord. Mycoloth is also pretty darn neat.
>>
>>49891973
>>49892005
You are better off with playing Standard and then making the jump to Frontier.
>>
>>49895478
I actually did the first frontier thread and I did it to troll fa/tg/uys.
I underestimated its potential
>>
>>49895568
You should have known that once born, frontier cannot be eradicated.

Its no secret that MtG has been rapidly growing in the last recent years, with standard and limited's playerbases booming.

All those people /tg/ has so much contempt for, casuals, all 20ish and under, they are a lot and they represent very big percentage of product sold.

And what do these mostly broke-ass youngsters want?, spending ~800$ in Modern?, No fucking way.

They want to play with the cards they already have, the chaff from Standards past. It's much, much cheaper building any deck if you already have a bunch of pieces for it laying around.

Now /tg/ has tried the forbidden fruit of Frontier. And it likes it so much it'll choke on it to death before letting it go.

So congratulations, you killed Modern. Maybe all of Magic.

I love Frontier tho.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.