[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some systems where characters can get a lot of utility

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: U77265u.jpg (28KB, 455x652px) Image search: [Google]
U77265u.jpg
28KB, 455x652px
What are some systems where characters can get a lot of utility powers?

Pic unrelated.
>>
D&D, Shadowrun, Maid RPG
>>
FATAL
>>
>>49890522
Star Wars Saga Edition has more of those than in any other system I have seen. Pretty much everyone can get them too. Highly recommended and I don't like d20 normally.
>>
While I appreciate the responses, I was hoping for a little more detail.

>>49890541
>D&D
Like what? Which edition? Which sourcebooks?
>Shadowrun
Same questions, really. I don't even know where to start.
>MAID
Okay, this one I'll give you. That'll take half a minute to read through.

>>49890556
Hurr

>>49890685
With this one I'm really confused. I feel like there are hardly any utility abilities at all. Almost all Talents are combat-focused, and there are like, two feats in the core book that aren't directly meant for combat.
>>
>>49890727
Not >>49890541 but
>D&D
Since you haven't tried, I recommend the latest edition. Core Rulebook, play a spellcaster.
>Shadowrun
Again, since you're just starting, latest edition (5th), core rulebook. There are entire achetypes dedicated to non-combat. Plenty of associated fluff gear too. For even more, check out the Run Faster book.
>>
>>49890727
wait, utility powers are not combat-related? i thought it was just non-attack powers? buffs and debuffs, etc.
>>
>>49890907
What would you call powers that are not combat-related, then?

>>49890772
I've played DnD, I just couldn't think of a lot of utility abilities - although I guess spells do count. Thanks for the Shadowrun tip, though, that sounds very interesting.
>>
Rolemaster. There's tons of skills and power-granting background options. As for magic, Spell Law is practically crammed with what would be considered utility spells.
>>
>>49890932
i dont know, it doesn't matter. you want special abilities that arent combat-related apparently.

well, nobody has more of that than GURPS. not even close. it is actually quite a sight to behold.
>>
>>49890979
i considered recommending that but you can't build a character the same way you can in GURPS. it's all very random and relies more on utility skills than utility powers.
>>
>>49891021
Any particularly good sourcebooks for that? I've been looking through core, and it's alright, but I was hoping for more.
>>
>>49891067
Well, depends on what kind of game/setting you're running. For superpowers, there's Powers, for more fun utillity spells, there's Magic, for more tech-based skills and equipment there's the Low-Tech, High-Tech and Ultra-Tech books depending on what technology level you want to run. There's probably more, but I'm no expert on the system.
>>
File: the last smugbender.jpg (36KB, 579x577px) Image search: [Google]
the last smugbender.jpg
36KB, 579x577px
>>49891067
Ritual

Path

Magic
>>
>>49891140
I'm just on a quest to sate my curiosity and find cool new ideas, truth be told. This isn't for a specific game.
>>
File: Beatrice.jpg (7MB, 3056x4075px) Image search: [Google]
Beatrice.jpg
7MB, 3056x4075px
>>49891067
>>49891140
Ignore Magic, the default magic system is subpar. Look at Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic instead. The right combination of paths will allow you to achieve just about any effect you can imagine, so you have all the utility you could ever want.

You don't really need magic, though. Basic Set+Powers is enough to construct nearly any effect you could ever want, add the right pyramid article and you'll cover lots of little edge cases.
>>
>>49891218
Thank you, that's very useful.
>>
>>49890522
Wow, feminism makes you a badass.
>>
>>49891719
Bebop was a loser goon though.
>>
>>49891140
my GURPS knowledge is no longer uptodate, but the GURPS compendium I for 3E had really huge lists.
>>
>>49891155
GURPS compendium. it's my reference work on advantages/disadvantages, edges&flaws, feats& complications or whatever you wanna call them.
>>
File: gurps compendium I.png (290KB, 823x900px) Image search: [Google]
gurps compendium I.png
290KB, 823x900px
screenshot & link
https://mega.nz/#F!yxFxlD4I!CGTYsnTE_8XAmcJxdMehAQ
>>
>>49892305
Thank you very much. That makes it a lot easier.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.