[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being new to /tg/ I'm just learning local language and now

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 10

File: Archaon_the_Everchosen.png (768KB, 447x730px) Image search: [Google]
Archaon_the_Everchosen.png
768KB, 447x730px
Being new to /tg/ I'm just learning local language and now I wonder what "edgelord" means. Does it mean every dark character is bad? Or what?
Can you give me some examples of "edgelords" and acceptable dark-themed characters?
>>
>>49885425
Everything that would not fit in rodenberry's star trek federation is edgy.
Everything slightly meanier than Mr Rogers is edgy
Wearing anything but hippy multicolor shirts is edgy.
>>
>>49885425
Dark characters aren't bad if their is used for the purpose of the story, rather than for shock value. This is true for both players and GMs.

Ultimately, what people dislike in edgelord characters is that they do not mesh with the party, either quietly brooding alone when others get along, or doing shit that makes the rest of the party go "why are we even travelling with this guy?".
>>
lurk moar
>>
>>49885425
It means that dark elements within a character that might otherwise have been interesting and added complexity to the character are instead simply added for the sake of being dark. It's basically a criticism of poorly executed dark character elements. pic related is a bad example, while Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star would be a decent example.
>>
>>49885475
Pretty much. And then there's being shocking for sake of being shocking, and being a contranian.
>>
>>49885425
Edgelord is when someone tries to substitute "darkness" or angst for actual personality or character development. The titular example is Shadow the Hedgehog, although most characters who use "darkness", "blood", "pain", "rage", or "shadow"-based powers usually count, since they're blatantly obvious signs of "this character is a bad dude" even when that character is supposed to be a good guy. Perfect example here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-1kHHHJv_U.

Acceptable dark/edgelord characters... hrms, lets see.
-Batman (if you ignore the more Mary-Sue portrayals of him).
-Geralt (Witcher 3)
-Midna (Zelda Twilight Princess)
-Alucard (Castlevania SOTN)
-Saren (Mass Effect)
-Most of the villains in Magi (manga... as they usually have pretty good motivations after the first underwhelming plot arc)
-Kenshiro (Fist of the North Star)
-Makoto (Ghost in the Shell)
-Rosarch (Watchmen)
-Joshua Graham (Fallout 4)

In B4 someone says the entire list sucks because they disagree with a few of the choices. Some of them are also heavily dependent on what media is portraying them as well (see Batman and his hundreds of different iterations).
>>
>kenshiro the moral fag is now edgy
What a time to be alive.
>>
>>49885589
He is NOT edgy. Anons were pointing out that he has a tragic history, and is generally somber, but these elements serve a purpose to his character, instead of being put in there to be edgy.
>>
>>49885566
>>49885519
>Kenshiro
>Dark
Are we thinking about same kenshiro?

You know, the dude who travels through hellhole wasteland because he's the only one who can stop superpowered kung fu villains?
The dude who, on multiple occasions, walked straight into enemy bases to save people abducted by another baddie of the week?
The dude who cries over said baddies because he knows they could've taken another path?

u fookin wot, m80s
>>
>>49885614

See >>49885613
>>
>>49885425
Basically it's a dark character executed very poorly
>>
File: Torn Apart.jpg (376KB, 600x776px) Image search: [Google]
Torn Apart.jpg
376KB, 600x776px
>>
When you are deliberately being "dark" and/or "mysterious" for the only purpose of being dark and/or mysterious, you're being edgy for the sake of being edgy.

When you stack that shit up, you're an edgelord, the lord of all edgy shit.
>>
File: dyehipkieqohtxvlsvnz.jpg (55KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
dyehipkieqohtxvlsvnz.jpg
55KB, 800x1200px
>>49885566
Many of those would be edgelords at a table, though. They are only not edgelords because of the format, and if someone tried to create some of those characters as starting characters in a game, all my edgelord alarms would go off at the same time.
>>
So if dark and mysteriuos stuff, up to spiky armour, are justified by character backstory / setting / whatever and are not over the top i'm not an edgelord and all is well?
>>
>>49885425
ignore it. it's a way for anti-edgelords to get a (You), aka some attention
>>
File: olOFPKn.jpg (327KB, 1000x1707px) Image search: [Google]
olOFPKn.jpg
327KB, 1000x1707px
>>49885847
Depends on the setting, really. Edgelording is usually an issue with personality and the characterization of the played character, and with the intent of the person that made the character.

If you are deliberately trying to make an edgy character, you are an edgelord. The fact that you could make up bullshit excuses as to why the character is super-edgy doesn't really change that - it's not uncommon for edgelords to come up with a whole stack of bullshit reasons as to why the character is Edgy McGee Edgesson, ranging from my_parents_are_dead.jpg to "I was betraaaaaaaaayed by my father who is also the devil!".
>>
>>49885475
>>49885425

Pretty much this. You can even play off random murder urges as a negative the character has to fight against. Like, an edge lord stabs a dude because he thinks he liked at him funny. A chaotic neutral character role plays having the urge to stab the person, but holding it in because they're in public and it would be insane.

Maybe he gets the opportunity to stab him later. Maybe he has to choose between satisfying his need for revenge against possibly getting caught, or the option of using the stabee for a plan the party has.

A good player will Role play either his inability to give up short term satisfaction for long term gain. Or better, plan to screw the stabee AND still advance the party goals.

An edge lord tries to justify stabbing as being inevitable or deserved, or not at all saying "it's what my character would do."

A quick test is "would this character be able to function in society". If no, then expect to get left outside of towns and negotiations and probably eventually killed by your party as more trouble than the character is worth.
>>
>>49885881
ah, I normally use "justified" when reason is not bullshit. should've been clearer, I guess.
>>
>>49885847
the problem with edgelords for some is that edgelords are loners but PCs by nature are supposed to work together as a group. what the anti-edgelord faggots here don't realize is that having only cooperative, well integrated PCs in every game makes games more samey/boring.

it leads to a very shitty morally-loose-but-fiercely-sticking-together party set-up.

IN. EVERY. FUCKING. GAME. only variation of this theme then is the Lawful Good group that sticks together
>>
>>49885847
Makes enough sense, sure, but let's not say that something being over the top is automatically bad. Take Chaos in 40k for example, in any other setting they would usually be the bad kind of edgelords but in the context of 40k where everything is melodramatic and over the top by design they actually fit in just fine
>>
Edgy characters are made with "tragedy & conflict = interesting" in mind and absolutely nothing else, so they stack it up ten layers high in order to form an illusion of depth (an illusion the maker themselves often believe). It's a Saturday morning cartoon villain that you're expected to take seriously.
>>
>>49885425
When people make an overly dark or "emo" character without actually implementing any characterisation for said attributes

"I must end all life because the true suffering is life itself, only death is peace, I love the colour black" Justbeing overly angsty teen edgy
>>
>>49885456
This post is edgy
>>
Holy shit more than half of the answers ITT completely fail to account for why it's seen as a bad thing.

And they don't even have compatible definitions
>>
>>49885897
Yeah, I guess. There's a difference between "justified", and "a justification".
>>
File: 1466651763601.png (278KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1466651763601.png
278KB, 960x960px
>>
>>49887084
>Holy shit more than half of the answers ITT completely fail to account for why it's seen as a bad thing.

This was never questioned, though.

>And they don't even have compatible definitions

Most are entirely compatible.
>>
ORIGINALLY IT MEANT PROVOCATIVE AND DARK

THEN IT BECAME USED SARCASTICALLY TO MAKE FUN OF
-CHEAP PATHOS
-FALSE PROVOCATIVENESS
-PRETENTIOUSNESS

BUT IN VERY RECENT YEARS PEOPLE HAVE STARTED APPLYING THE SARCASTIC USE OF THE TERM TO EVERYTHING THAT'S DARK OR PROVOCATIVE, EVEN WHEN IT'S LEGITIMATELY DARK OR PROVOCATIVE

SO NOW IT MEANS DARK/PROVOCATIVE, AND THEREFORE BAD AND LAUGHABLE NO MATTER HOW WELL IT'S DONE OR HOW RELEVANT IT IS.
>>
>>49885425

Edgy means being dark for no reason, but it also means being evil in an over-the-top way.

If a villain poses melodramatically, wields double katanas and weeps over the angst of his life and wants to kill everyone because daddy issues, he's edgy.

However, if the villain is sufficiently toned-down and has the mindset of a serial killer - If he does unpleasant things that aren't 'in genre' - then he's more disturbing than edgy.
>>
>>49887143
No you don't get it.
see
>>49887141
>>
>>49887141
That's one sarcastic edge you have there
>>
>>49887143
katana-wielding melodramatic villains can be perfectly valid characters and taken seriously (for instance, The Crow, which is the original blueprint for most of them), it just depends on the story and on how well they're written.

It's like Mary Sues: a character is only a Mary Sue when he/she's detrimental to the story and clumsily written, the difference is that an edgelord is dark, whereas a mary sue is virtuous or powerful.
>>
>>49887208
better be edgy than dull
>>
>>49885566
>-Geralt (Witcher 3)
But Geralt is neutral!
:^)
>>
>>49887230
better be blunt then edgy
>>
File: BloodBornMan.jpg (897KB, 1255x1254px) Image search: [Google]
BloodBornMan.jpg
897KB, 1255x1254px
>>49885425
Dark or evil themes played out for no reason other than to appear "cool."
For instance, let's say a player has a thief who wears only bloodsoaked clothing, uses only weapons that cause major bleeding, and broods in the dark edge of the party campfire because of what he saw back in the war.
He'd be a terrible thief, constantly being checked by guards due to his unusually cruel weapons and being covered in blood.
Since he broods all the time, he has no place in group interactions, and could be replaced by a wet sock with stats.
All of this is just to make the character appear like a cool antihero, when in reality, it severely hinders the character.
>>
>>49885914
Funny thing, EoM "good" guys seems to hit that Edgelord stick more often than Chaos, like the incident with Grey Knights that slaughtered all the Sisters of Battle in a monastery to gain some minor benefit from their remans against Chaos.
>>
>>49885840
Sauce on pic? I want to make a ninja/hacker now.
>>
>>49887334
Not the guy you're asking, but the picture literally says "Mirror's Edge Catalyst" in the corner, so I'm guess it might be a major character from that game, or some kind of enemy unit. Would be a good place to start your search.
>>
File: stay thirsty my friends.jpg (59KB, 279x623px) Image search: [Google]
stay thirsty my friends.jpg
59KB, 279x623px
lurk moar, nerd
>>
>>49887334
I honestly don't remember, I was just searching around for Sci-fi portraits the other day, looking for Eclipse Phase shit.

The picture itself should give you an idea of where to look, though. Mirror's Edge Catalyst, by Dice.

As I was writing this I actually looked it up : https://www.artstation.com/artist/perh

Seems he only really shared that one in that style, sadly. Most others feel slightly cringy, lens-flare-y, or blurry.
>>
What's This Guy or That Guy?
>>
>>49888834
nickname for Wil Wheaton
>>
File: Paladin Motivations.png (182KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
Paladin Motivations.png
182KB, 500x371px
>>49888834
That Guy is the player who just can't seem to get with the program and cooperate with outher players in the game or the GM. That Guy is the person who shows up to an all-human game with a drow character. That Guy is person who's character always has to be the center of attention. That Guy is the person sits there on their phone in the middle of combat and tells everyone else who's into the game to "stop being so serious". That Guy is the player who always needs to be getting laid the most in game or killing the most stuff and takes it personally if his character is getting more screentime than everyone else or performing better than everyone else.

Basically every group has a faggot. That Guy is the faggot.
>>
>>49885425
Everyone's already mentioned what it sorta means, but do keep in mind that initially just phrases like "don't cut yourself on that edge" or a term like "edgelord" were initially used to talk about bad edgy characters. Today, people on the Internet often use edgy to automatically mean a shit example of someone who's being edgy even though the word "edgy" has encompassed both for a far FAR longer time.
>>
File: PC Motivation.jpg (48KB, 385x327px) Image search: [Google]
PC Motivation.jpg
48KB, 385x327px
>>49888834
>>49888955
It's also worth nothing that That Guys NEVER know they're That Guy, and will always blame their problems on getting "bad groups" or everyone only wanting to play "shit games" or everyone having "simple characters" in comparison to their own.

Every once in awhile you'll see a That Guy start a thread on /tg/ to rant about a game they just had (or got kicked out of), and it will be incredibly obvious that the person posting the thread is, in fact, responsible for most of what happened... however they will unironically refuse to believe as much and accuse everyone who replies of "baiting", "trolling" or being even worse than what they're trying to point out as a criticism.
>>
>>49888834
https://1d4chan.org/wiki/That_guy
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.