[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post some common tabletop and/or fantasy or sci-fi cliches you're

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 19

File: 1476543794687.jpg (39KB, 358x373px) Image search: [Google]
1476543794687.jpg
39KB, 358x373px
Post some common tabletop and/or fantasy or sci-fi cliches you're actually OK with

>Vampire hunter / exterminator of paranormal pests
>Wears a wide-brimmed hat
>>
>>49874584

Fantasy
>The Frozen North
>Liches
>Not!Vikings and Not!Greco-Romans

Science Fiction
>long-dead forerunner civilizations

It's easier to run off cliches I don't like, because "cliche" implies there's not really anything going for it other than just being something you've seen a million times. If I come across a familiar trope but written in an interesting and dynamic way, the fact it's "cliche" probably won't even register.
>>
>>49874584
>>49874721
It only becomes a cliche if you dislike it. By virtue of you not being tired of it yet, it's just a common trope.
>>
>Crazy Paranormal/Extraterrestrial secret wars shit like goes in the middle of Bufu fucking nowhere.
>Some X-Com, Men In Black Gmen actually show up to figure out what the fuck is going on.

Not really a trope so much as it is common sense, but you'd be surprised how ridiculous and insane it would seem without it.

One of the reasons I stopped watching Steven Universe was that this shit never happened, no matter how much crazy shit happened. I mean, I'm not saying every setting should just turn into starship troopers or x-com whenever shit gets real, but it's be nice to have a sign that humanity isn't completely fucking retarded.
>>
>>49874584
pretty much all of them. cliches are an essential part of rpgs.
>>
>>49874584
fantasy:

>noble savage orcs
>standard buff bearded alcoholic dwarves
>>
>>49878469
To be fair, the creatures in Steven Universe predate humanity. It would be like the FBI going to check up on why two bears fought in the woods
>>
File: Quest Knights by morot.jpg (437KB, 979x755px) Image search: [Google]
Quest Knights by morot.jpg
437KB, 979x755px
Genuinely good and heroic knights going on quests. I am excessively okay with this.
>>
>>49879253
Well normally yeah, I could accept that, but then fucking Jasper showed up in her giant battleship ready to RIP AND TEAR the gems, and the entire surrounding area had to be evacuated. Then Afterwards, everything just goes back to normal and nobody gives a shit. "Ehh, just a potential vanguard for an alien invasion, whatever. Christ, nobody even tried to salvage all those xeno-tech goodie bags that the ship left when it blew up. They just let the Gems throw them In The trash because "humanity can't handle it" or whatever. It's like the whole of humanity had a stupid attack.
>>
>>49879382
To be fair, humanity probably has had many stupid attacks. They've had five thousand years of Pearl to nag at them, with the help of a literal future-seeing lesbian voltron
>>
>>49879382
I think the humans in SU are a more noblebright version of the case with humans in Invader Zim.

The humans in Zim were excessively advanced despite being much stupider and having less common sense than real-life humans.

The humans in SU are much more peaceful and pastoral than real life humans. They're not meant to be realistic within the context of a greater setting.
>>
File: It_Could've_Been_Great_163.png (1MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
It_Could've_Been_Great_163.png
1MB, 1920x1090px
>>49879424
Also probably at least one "SO LETS NOT BOTHER THOSE NICE SPACE ROCK PEOPLE" philosophies after what happened to Africa, Russia, and Australia.
>>
>>49879442
>The humans in Zim were excessively advanced despite being much stupider and having less common sense than real-life humans.
Sorta off topic but I think the humans were depicted that way because Zim was too much of an advanced alien, what we saw as someone eating a burger off of a clean table he saw as someone stuffing disgusting fatty meat in his mouth hole on a filthy table covered in germs.
Same thing with the people being stupid, they are only semi functioning retards compared to Zim.
>>
>>49879493
To an extent. They were still horrendously oblivious, with Dib being derided as crazy for noticing the incredibly obvious alien. Also, despite their apparent stupidity, the humans in Zim occasionally showed off tech that was like sci-fi level shit.

>>49879476
This very well could also be the case. Gems predate major human powers on Earth, and the history of SUs Earth is different from our own. The different geography is the result of ancient Gem activity, and the current politics seem to be more peaceful and secular.
>>
>>49874584
>Ancient astronauts
>multicolored space babes
>Weird zen/chi/holy shit that is explicitly distinct from magic

>>49879476
But that's just more reason to hate them. They're alien parasites who showed up one day, devastated the earth, act like they belong there like everyone else, and devastate it further when you question them.

>>49879493
Jhonen said most humans in the show are actually lobotomized and that an episode which never saw production would have revealed this.
>>
>>49879587
>Lovecraft monsters
>Reclusive masters/monks

In regards to the "alien parasite" thing, that's kind of a similar issue to the "superhero" thing. Superheroes are usually the only things that can stand up to supervillains, but they're also incredibly unbalanced individuals themselves.
>>
>>49879646
Fair point. But the arrival of homeworld gems with updated technology made specifically for fighting other gems means that the days of relying on illegal aliens is numbered.
>>
>>49879672
Don't worry, I'm sure Rebecca Sugar is preparing to expose the virtues of war any day now.
>>
File: 1462745157753.jpg (168KB, 843x1130px) Image search: [Google]
1462745157753.jpg
168KB, 843x1130px
>burly, ornery, axe-swinging, mead-chugging dwarves

Fuck you, /tg/. Stop trying to deconstruct every race.
>>
>>49874584
Robots trying to become more human.
>>
>>49879730
More like stop trying to deconstruct everything. I get wanting to try new things and fresh takes on things, but some people on this site seems obsessed with being 100% original 100% of the time.
>>
>>49879747
Good examples of this? Looking for stuff like that.
>>
>>49879587
>They're alien parasites who showed up one day,
No they're not. They were there first. Its their planet, we just evolved here.
>>
>>49879763
M8, /tg/ is the last place where anyone attempts to try new things and fresh takes. Do you not see all the threads lambasting settings which don't have the standard tolkien template?

>>49879895
>They were there first.
No.
>>
>>49879907
Do you not see all the threads "How do we reinvent the [something]-trope", "How do we make [setting/genre] relevant again", etc?
>>
>Villain and hero share a civil conversation before the big fight, knowing full well that one of them won't be walking away.
>>
>People manage entire dialogues mid-combat when each turn is like 5-10 seconds long

>Magicians wearing stylized pointy hats

>Mimic chests

>Thieves wearing hoods that somehow totally obscure their entire face

>Giant rats in the city sewers

>Lich villain is an excessively cheeky cunt

>NPC loudly shouts an expositionary statement to help clue everyone in as to what's going on when combat starts

>Magic Shop owner is cooky and disconnected from reality

>Item Shop owner is essentially a stereotypical jew caricature
>>
>>49879255
Because it's not a cliche anymore, the most common thing is for the Order of Good Knights to be corrupt and evil.
>>
File: 1475694694857.png (357KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1475694694857.png
357KB, 900x900px
>>49880275
>Lich villain is an excessively cheeky cunt
>>
>>49880922
Beautiful.
>>49879763
I know a guy who's like this. He wants to create his own comic book and is obsesaed with deconstructing every single trope that might show up in his comic. I hate people who think deconstruction=good.
>>
>>49880275
>Item Shop owner is essentially a stereotypical jew caricature
Can't say I've ever encountered this kek
>>
>the hero is half-(evil race)

Shit, my wee/a/boo is showing
>>
>>49880983
Little do they know that once a trope is firmly deconstructed, all that's left to do is reconstruct it!
>>
>>49880922
If I was that fairy(?) I would shoot that dwarf right in the neck. Even if it was my ally.

All Dwarves are cunts. Death to dwarves.
>>
File: my nigga.jpg (168KB, 1033x679px) Image search: [Google]
my nigga.jpg
168KB, 1033x679px
>>49874584
>ancient civilization
>uses crystals in fucking EVERYTHING
>>
Airships
Fantasy worlds that are well conected and encourage travel
Bestial, non-intelligent, dragons
Big monsters that can be reasoned with, tricked, or befriended
>>
File: muqwk0Z67u1rm0dplo1500.jpg (50KB, 500x280px) Image search: [Google]
muqwk0Z67u1rm0dplo1500.jpg
50KB, 500x280px
>Secret order of warriors/knights/hunters that meet in a tavern basement
>Wizards with no sense of right or wrong chilling in their towers doing sciency shit
>Elves and Dwarves constantly arguing and butting heads but will be the first to come to the other's defense
>Related to the above: Elves being ridiculously haughty and thinking their shit is the best shit to comic extremes
>The chancellor is a backstabbing prick
>"You all meet at an inn"
>>
File: 1459452274149.jpg (156KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1459452274149.jpg
156KB, 800x800px
>>49881841
>Secret order of warriors/knights/hunters that meet in a tavern basement

This is a cliche?
>>
>>49874584
True love wards and weakens evil. I feel the fairy tale nature adds to the feeling of old evil, this IS the monster you read about as a kid
>>
File: 1444960969505.gif (791KB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1444960969505.gif
791KB, 245x245px
>>49881868
I've seen it often enough in campaigns that I've participated in and read about, but yeah I guess I should've thought a bit more if it counted as a cliche.
>>
File: Robert_e_o_speedwago_24686.jpg (93KB, 398x613px) Image search: [Google]
Robert_e_o_speedwago_24686.jpg
93KB, 398x613px
>>49881895
Sort of related to that:
>Evil minion/monster turns against its master because one of the protagonists showed kindness to it for the first time in its life
>Secret test of character where someone has to choose between giving up what they want or fucking someone over for it
>Side-villain turns a new leaf and helps the protagonists to pay back an act of kindness/mercy
>Villain has a family that he genuinely loves and serves as one of his last connections to his humanity
>Kissing your true love can cure all sorts of shit
>>
>>49874584

How many vampire hunters does this actually apply to?
>>
>>49882069
Not necesarilly vampire hunters in specific, but wide-brimmed hats (particularly ones with a buckle of some sort) have always had some sort of association with witch hunts and 'rev up those torches' style puritanism.
>>
>>49881868
It happened in Skyrim, so yeah it's hella cliche
>>
File: VampireHunterD.gif (489KB, 500x230px) Image search: [Google]
VampireHunterD.gif
489KB, 500x230px
>>49882069
>>
File: u4SW4Sa.jpg (20KB, 360x359px) Image search: [Google]
u4SW4Sa.jpg
20KB, 360x359px
>>49874584
>villain becomes increasingly erratic and paranoid as the fight progresses
>by the time you're ready to deliver the deathblow, he's been reduced to a raving lunatic
>>
File: 1474484562919.jpg (638KB, 697x960px) Image search: [Google]
1474484562919.jpg
638KB, 697x960px
Dungeon Delving.

Going into dark caves and crypts to fight monsters and get treasure is great fun.

One of my favorite things about DMing is creating a dungeon and planning out all the encounters, flavor, and treasure.
>>
>>49882640
That art is fucking glorious. Whats it from?
>>
>big buff barabarian
Love it.
>>
> Primary world religion is pseudo-christianity
>>
>>49882640
>mage in the front
>melee girl in the back
0/10 would not delve dungeons with
Or they're running really unique roles like a melee warrior-mage and a backline Cleric with a sword as her holy focus or something, in which case 10/10 because dat art
>>
>>49882790

Clearly they were using a traditional marching order but were attacked from the rear. That's why melee girl has that concerned look on her face while magic boy is like, yes, time to mess up some losers.
>>
>>49882790
>Party is making their way to the throne of the lich
>Party hears a noise in front of them and get into position
>Group of enemies attack from behind
There
>>
>>49882841
>>49882866
But then the greatsword warrior is out of position.
Maybe they're relying on a charge ability for him?
Or the girl and ranger are supposed to be farther ahead?
If they are getting jumped by spookster skeletons from behind they totally deserved it for being in complete disarray.
>>
>>49882715
No idea but the artist is Yoh Yoshinari.
>>
>>49879476
>gigantic holes where West Africa and most of Siberia should be
>no Hawaii
>Australia broken up
>India sliced in half
>Brazil stretched out
>weird islands between Africa and South America
>China looks like it's been stretched to the southeast and pulled inward from the northwest
>Kyushu and Shikoku are missing, but Okinawa is still there

What even happened here?
>>
File: kramer hentai.jpg (67KB, 622x486px) Image search: [Google]
kramer hentai.jpg
67KB, 622x486px
>>49882043
>Secret test of character where someone has to choose between giving up what they want or fucking someone over for it

So fucking good, especially when it's not just a "test" but a legitimate chance, doubly so when it's the villain genuinely giving them the option.

Also, video gamey as fuck, but
>Super powerful but uncontrollably berserk rage mode
>Not used as an out for conflict, but a constant threat or guilt looming over the character's head
>>
>>49884156
SJWs never bothered with geography class.
>>
>>49884156
Earth was subject to an alien invasion and then internecine war roughly 6000 years prior to the start of the series.
>>
>>49874584

Fantasy
>Horrible monsters everywhere the instant you go underground
>Long-dead civilizations that haven't been properly looted, despite being gone for hundreds of years

Modern-ish
>Alcoholic hard-boiled detectives with excessively shitty personal lives
>Crazy people out in the middle of nowhere who worship [insert evil god here]

Futuristic
>Plot being somehow related to ancient aliens
>Cities made in improbably or downright stupid places, like submerged in the ocean or floating in the sky
>>
>>49874584
>Coastal village is innsmouth
>Gods are secretly sci-fi/dungeon is a spaceship
>tavern brawls
>witches/seers
>>
Fantasy
>Lots of power in true love
>Jovial Priest is secretly a hardboiled inquisitior
>crude grenades function exactly like modern ones

Scifi
>tacticool insertion into enemy facility where all the bad guys have been brutally slaughtered. Very recently.
>ancient aliens
>extragalactic harvesters
>>
Knights are actually honourable.
Not everyone is a total backstabbing dick.
The head of the church is an okay guy and not a cultist in disguise.
>>
>>49885074
>The head of the church is an okay guy and not a cultist in disguise.
Is this one a cliche?Because it's usually the opposite.
>>
>>49874584
>Fantasy, with GUNS
>>
>>49882415
I still need to find the time to watch that sometime.
>>
File: 1472277943701.jpg (41KB, 421x834px) Image search: [Google]
1472277943701.jpg
41KB, 421x834px
>>49885091

This is usually the part where some huge twat that hates getting along with strangers on the internet rolls around and does his thing so I guess I'm up to bat.

Why the everloving fuck would you wear plate armor in a world with high-velocity projectiles? Shit, there are arrows and crossbow bolts that can penetrate full plate. Why wear something so cumbersome in a society where any random schmuck can grab a musket and blow you the hell away?

The obvious answer is that their armor can deflect gunfire due to magic or extremely high quality but at that point why use guns?

This image is making my mind writhe with answers to questions that I shouldn't have started asking.
>>
>>49885195
Plate and guns existed during each others lifetimes. The invention of handheld firearms didn't immediately make heavy armour go away. It went away gradually.
>>
>>49885195

Early guns couldn't penetrate steel plate, its actually still pretty effective against stuff like .22 and 9mm

Its just generally more effective not to bother since its bulky, difficult to wear and you're better off diving behind concealment / cover
>>
>>49885195
Depends on the plate and arrows, faggot
>>
>>49885195
>why use guns
Because not everybody can afford armour bitchboy
>>
>>49885195
1. Even when guns were invented not everyone had guns.
2. Even those guns that existed didn't have perfect penetration of plate armor
3. Armor doesn't need to avoid penetration to be useful. A shot that hits it at an angle other than perfect 90º will tend to bounce off (notice the breastplates are not flat?). You could easily deflect a shot that was meant to go through your heart, having it go into your ribs or some shit.
>>
File: IMG_1812.jpg (81KB, 500x746px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1812.jpg
81KB, 500x746px
>>49885671
>>49885362
>>49885316
>>49885244
>>49885195

Oh look, it's another thread derail into "medieval weapon effectiveness arguements thread". This sure doesn't happen in every other medieval fantasy thread.

Well in an attempt to get this back on track.
>Opposites working together and going from Allies of circumstance to close friends.
I love me my buddy cops routines.

> High tech melee weapons in sci-fi settings, regardless of how much more effective and easy it is to just use a laser gun or whatever.
Are chainswords, power swords, and light sabers gonna singlehandedly save you from an entrenched position with at least semi-competent marksmen all concentrating fire on you? Not without some serious armor, plot or otherwise, to help you. Are they all still cool as fuck and terrifying? You're Damn Skippy they are!

>>49884340
>>Alcoholic hard-boiled detectives with excessively shitty personal lives
Mah' 30's Noir detective niggaahhh. But why is it just in modern? Who's to say it doesn't work in Sci-Fi just as well? Pic related.
>>
>>49879790
Äkta Människor/Real Humans (watch the Swedish original if you can, I find it much better).
Androids have become a naturalized part of modern society (or have at least come a long way). A group of AI live in refuge and really just want to live in peace. It also makes a good portrait of Swedish politics of the time.

Also there is Battlestar Galactica but not until later seasons IIRC
>>
>>49887537
What are some better ways to incorporate high-tech melee into a more realistic sci-fi setting?
>>
>>49887799
There are a few good ones, such as "We're on a space ship/station and reeeealy don't want a stray shot to hit anything important".
>>
>>49887799
Imagine it would have to focus more stealth than being big and scary. Melee combat in the future would rely on you being able to get close to someone without getting shot to shit, and the best way to do that would be to sneak up someone. All those Sci-fi melee weapons are cool and good at what they do, but getting into a posistion where you can use them would hard as fuck, as chainswords, lightsabers, gravity hammers etc. are all big and noisy as hell when used. So if some one sees that shit, or hears a revving sound, a laser hum, or a giant wham, they know get the fuck out of there.

I imagine a really reliable sci-fi melee weapon would be about being quick, simple to use, small enough to quickly pull out in a pinch, and not have any danger of running out of power, and quiet. The funny thing is that the modern combat knife fulfills all of these. If a Sci-fi melee weapon were to be developed on the principle of practicality rather than rule of cool, it would probably look like a powered version of th modern combat knife.

Of course this is quite boring, so everyone prefers to go the rule of cool way and make giant, badass, noisy, death machines.
>>
>>49888393
What if you inverted this where instead of the melee weapon relying on you avoiding damage until you were ready to strike, if melee weapons were given to people who could take an absolute beating and still keep going. So give the loud and proud weapons to people with power armor or mecha.

I also think to Pacific Rim, wherein the idea was you might prefer a melee weapon against certain opponents because the requisite firepower would cause too much collateral.
>>
>>49885195
Notice how the knight in the picture is not wearing full body plate armour? With the advent of guns capable of penetrating said armour with a direct hit came a change in armour designs. Rather than protecting every inch of the body, armour was designed only to protect the vital areas, thus increasing mobility.
>>
>>49881328
found the elf
>>
File: sickened.jpg (13KB, 232x346px) Image search: [Google]
sickened.jpg
13KB, 232x346px
>>49885195
>plate armor and early firearms existing in the same era is unrealistic hurr durr
God damn /tg/ is bad at history
>>
>>49879646
>Superheroes are usually the only things that can stand up to supervillains
I'm sure /k/ is going to politely disagree here.
>>
>>49892504
Are they gonna be the assholes in every movie ever where the spaceship is flying overhead and they're shooting at it with small arms?
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.