[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did 5e make monks any less boring to play as? I wish they'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_2627.jpg (55KB, 695x524px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2627.jpg
55KB, 695x524px
Did 5e make monks any less boring to play as?

I wish they'd make a class that's all about pushing beyond physical limits via willpower to do crazy unarmed feats, at the cost of being temporarily burned out from the effort. I wouldn't even mind it doing some measure of HP loss.

Last time I played monk was 3.5, maybe pathfinder, always kind of a "fighter with just as little interesting combat choices"
>>
>>49873989
Playing a weeaboo anime wuxia character in a standard fantasy setting was never "interesting". Monk as a class was, and still is, a mistake.

In b4 retards say "hurrdurr anything works in DnD!", because they're the same retards who would let you use plasma guns by that same logic.
>>
>>49873989
I'm not sure what you're even looking for. The 5e monk is fine - it gets the highest quantity of attacks, it can stun-lock enemies for a little while, and it now has four subclasses that aren't shit - but I have a feeling that you won't like any class that occasionally just makes a normal attack roll followed by a normal damage roll.
>>
>>49873989
Oh look, another 3.5 babby who skipped the one game that actually solved his problems.
>>
>>49874090
Playing a game where combat goes at a snail's pace and the classes all feel the same does not solve the problem of making any class more fun to play. Especially since nobody played it.
>>
>>49873989
Want to make it interesting? Play a euro-style monk. No martial arts bullshit, just making beer and copying books.

Or you could, you know, just play literally anything else like the rest of us.
>>
>>49873989
> I wish they'd make a class that's all about pushing beyond physical limits via willpower to do crazy unarmed feats, at the cost of being temporarily burned out from the effort. I wouldn't even mind it doing some measure of HP loss.

Pathfinder tried this shit with the kineticist and it failed abysmally. I wouldn't trust that WotC could design anything that would be any less of train wreck.
>>
>>49873989
Play a barbarian with the tavern brawler feat then.

Monks are muscle mages the class.
>>
>>49874090
> It's "fourfag does not understand why nobody likes his edition" episode
>>
>>49875376
Yet there's no benefit to using fists as a barbarian. It's suboptimal, especially when fists neither work with sneak attack (for barbarogue) or brutal critical (For pure barbarians) well. You'd be gimping yourself on purpose.

It can work, just not a good idea.

Monks aren't very muscle magey for the fact they have almost no use for strength.
Strength is barely useful except for great weapon masters, barbarians and those super obsessed with grappling. Or an odd few who want 15 strength for heavy armour which kinda sucks anyway beyond the +1 AC.
>>
>>49874090
>the one game that actually solved his problems.
Er, which? 4e or Pathfinder Unchained/Qinggong monk?
>>
Not really. GURPS on the other hand has a martial arts system that is legitimately fun and interesting.
>>
>>49876437
Yes they do.

UAS is a light weapon and sneak always works with light weapons.
>>
>>49874058

When the monk class was added to D&D in Supplement II, nobody had ever heard of wuxia or anime.

Guess that proves you're kind of a dumbshit, huh?
>>
>>49873989
what you want can be done, but its not straight monk. what you want, is sorcerer 1(dragon), paladin the rest.

bribe the DM to allow shortswords to be your fists. sorc gives you unarmoured def en spellslots. paladin gives you the ability to use those slots to AMP UP the punches.

dual wield your shortsword/fists.
ocasionally go one punch man on peoples asses with smites!
>>
File: OD&D Setting.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
OD&D Setting.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49874058
>because they're the same retards who would let you use plasma guns by that same logic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expedition_to_the_Barrier_Peaks

Also, check the attached PDF. D&D wasn't actually fenced into "standard fantasy" until 3e.
>>
>>49877941
Except that's wrong.

The errata stated that unarmed strikes are NOT weapons. They may be melee weapon attacks, but they are not weapons.

Only monks get to use dexterity for their unarmed strikes, and they aren't weapons, much less light melee weapons, so you can't sneak attack with your fists, as you can only sneak attack with a finesse weapon, not a light weapon.

Did you even fucking open the book?
>>
>>49874106

This even further reads as "skipped the game".

But that's still not as stupid as the OP. The d20 system as D&D employs it would do a piss-poor job of facilitating that kind of character. Just go play exalted.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.