[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any good Final Fantasy RPGs? In particular, ones that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

Are there any good Final Fantasy RPGs? In particular, ones that could be used for the modern/sci-fi games like VII & VIII.
>>
>good Final Fantasy RPGs

No.

There's Final Fantasy D6. It's not polished, but at least it's usable.

There's the Returners FFRPG, but it's beyond terrible, as they wanted to adhere to the source in terms of numbers (don't do it with videogames, bro, it's not worth it).

There's a d20 iteration, but
>FF
>d20
Seriously.

I'd use Fate, but I'm sort of a Fatehead and I don't care that much about mechanical similitude.
>>
>>49859778
>Are there any good Final Fantasy RPGs?
There are not.
>>
File: This.jpg (20KB, 385x196px) Image search: [Google]
This.jpg
20KB, 385x196px
>>49859896
>don't do it with videogames, bro
This. This, this, this.

Trying to emulate videogame math in a tabletop RPG has ruined so many homebrews. Final Fantasy, Pokemon, Fire Emblem, and more.

I've run Returners. 2e, I think. It was so slow that an online, dial-up, text only Pathfinder campaign with nine players would've been fast by comparison.

I had three players, two of whom were very fast with math and the third wasn't bad, but rounds still took ages. Monster creation was a drag, too.
>>
>>49859778
I don't think so. I am working on one myself but I'm sure most people here won't like it and it's still in the early stages anyway. It's also closer to the earlier FF games in tone.

There's the infamous d20 Final Fantasy RPG which will do if you like 3.PF, I guess. There's also Anima Prime, which is a rules medium Shounen game and Anima: Beyond Fantasy, a very rules and math heavy Spanish RPG with a subpar English translation from FFG.

Tenra Bansho Zero is a Japanese RPG with some science fantasy elements and a lot of Japanese flavor, and probably what I would use for a Final Fantasy game at this time, if only for lack of a better option. The system is rock solid and fun but kind of complex and the setting isn't exactly Final Fantasy.
>>
Why not just run it in 4e?

4e does Eberron really well, and Eberron is essentially the same sort of magi-punk airship-laden world.

Refluff crossbows as guns and you are basically set.
>>
>>49860367
TBZ was supposed to get something more Final Fantasy in the Ruined Empires campaign setting, but that turned out to be less of a setting and more of a feminist/SJW tract whining about how TBZ's default setting and artwork are insensitive, bad, wrong and evil.
>>
>>49861270
Which is a damn shame because to my mind one of the best parts of JRPGs is not having to worry about that bullshit.

Western games shove it down your throat how proud they are to be part of the diversity circlejerk in a damn game, but Japanese games are more along the lines of "Here is a game; play?"

Take Ryuutama for example: three of the seven developers are women, but none of them make a big deal about it. Whereas something like D&D has to have a masturbatory trigger warning about the gender binary in its core rulebook.
>>
>>49859896
>I'd use Fate
I'm currently writing a FF campaign for Fate but haven't thought about the mechanical sides to things. Any ideas?
>>
>>49861594

Wouldn't the mechanical side be.. well.. Fate?
>>
>>49861634
I mean in terms of extras, like black mages and such. Lots of ways of doing it (as aspect, skill, stunt, all three, etc. Then there's the magic systems in the Toolkit and so on).
>>
>>49859778
Rule of Cool's "Legend" system would be perfect for a Final Fantasy game.

It's also dead and unfinished, though. The game is practically done, but it lacks a bestiary and making monsters the hard way is a chore.
Still, with some some effort to prepare some FF creatures you would have something strong. Make one or two a day, and by the time you actually hit session one you'll have most of what you would need and want.
>>
>>49861863
Not OP, but I have the PDF of Legend and haven't gotten around to reading it. Can you give me an elevator pitch? As far as I know it's just a heartbreaker with pretty graphic design.
>>
>>49861863
Wasn't that basically D20/3.5, if I remember rightly? Could you just use some D20 monster manuals?
>>
>>49862117
No.

Different progression.

You can certainly base it off of those though.

>>49861897
Seems like you are not getting a reply so allow me:

Yeah, it's a d20 heartbreaker, and it's actually quite good. Stuff is pretty balanced, the classes are all meaningfully different (although they are the usual D&D classes, with a few omissions, like Fighter not being available, and some re-imaginings like Ranger using a weird combo system), races got some cool fluff, and it is streamlined in many places. Feats are also pretty great. The big innovation it has is that classes are split into 3 tracks, that you can freely mix to multiclass instead of mix and matching level by level. There's usually a defensive, an offensive, and a utility track.

So you could, say, take the barbarian's track that deals with nature/ancestor spirit stuff (iirc, been a while) and bolt it on top of a Monk, replacing its ascetic stuff to make a spirit monk. You could even mix 3 classes if you wanted to.

"Monster classes" are single tracks you can apply to any class. So you could take the skeleton track and replace one of the three of say, wizard (is the caster called wizard? I don't even remember) to make a skele-wizard.

There's also a kamen rider class-track, which is as sily as it sounds, with built in Henshin and motorbike as class features. You can totally make a skeleton/kamen rider/monk, for example.

If you don't want to deal with items, as an optional rule you can replace the WBL with a 4th track to everyone. The combinations are pretty balanced, it's hard to really minmax a character, as far as I know.

Overall, it's a pretty good alternative to 3.PF, aside from not having a monster manual.
>>
>>49862117
No. It is technically based on 3.5, but the authors completely took the system apart and rebuilt it from the ground up to suit their vision of an RPG.
>>
>>49862368
So basically mix and match three separate sets of class features? That sounds awesome, you could have such varied characters.
>>
>>49862516
Yeah, its a quite ingenious idea. I also like how that forces classes to be structured in such a way that inherently forces them to have diverse abilities that are roughly on par with the rest.

Strike! does something similar with Class + Role selection, but of course it doesn't have the sheer amount of combinations Legend could have, and it's more FFT flavored than FFVII or VIII.
>>
>>49861897
>>49862368
>>49862516
>>49861863 here, sorry, was typing a response when I had to take a business call. He broke it down well, though.

Personal highlights on top of what was mentioned:
There's a feat to basically be Daredevil; a different way to use that guaranteed magic item advancement is to be changed by places of power or tremendous events, such as surviving a long fall off a possibly mystical cliff and then taking no fall damage ever again; and at end-game levels, skills let you do amazing and mythic things like running on snowflakes in a blizzard.
>>
>>49862516
There are some mechanical limitations, but they made sure you can get pretty close to most character concepts you can come up with.

Feats are also pretty damn flavorful and varied.

There is no list of weapons. Instead you create your own by combining various traits. The game also suggests fluffing different sets of traits as different fighting styles with the same weapon.
>>
>>49862726
Yet another game I would almost kill to play but no one else will ever GM. We always end up having to run our favourite systems don't we. Sigh.
>>
>>49862726
>The game also suggests fluffing different sets of traits as different fighting styles with the same weapon.

IIRC Monks are really good at this, as they get to apply weapon properties on the fly. Which makes them pretty bullshit at low levels because of the reach shenanigans they can set up.
>>
>>49862802
Speaking of reach shenanigans: as you level the reach of everything grows, so at high levels you can shank someone with a dagger from 15 feet away.

While this doesn't really make sense normally, it DOES seem appropriate for a Final Fantasy game.
>>
>>49862722
My biggest issue with the feat system is that it lacks a lot of standard "I'm generally more skilled with [weapon]/[armor]/[other area of interest]" feats. When making characters I frequently run into the issue that I don't *want* an exotic power from my feats, I just want to be better at sword fighting.

That, and the incessant pop culture references that they had to shoehorn into half the feats. Every once in a while doesn't bother me, but they kind of went overboard on that.
>>
>>49862932
>My biggest issue with the feat system is that it lacks a lot of standard "I'm generally more skilled with [weapon]/[armor]/[other area of interest]" feats.

This is intentional. Whenever those feats exist, they become taxes that everyone who uses a weapon must take (or, alternatively, I guess they could be so bad they are trap options but I don't think that has ever happened).
>>
>>49859778
Also, Anima: Beyond fantasy.
Also known as !NOTFinalFantasy Donut steel.
>>
>>49862987
Well, I could see someone who was the party tank thinking "Maybe I should get this toughness feat for more HP".

>>49862932
I really can't say I like this, from a metagame perspective you're just looking for every ingame "achievement" to unlock to optimize your character, from another perspective you're hoping the GM will throw you a bone once in a while.
>>
>>49862841
Increased mobility.
As evidenced by the weird stuff you can pull off with regular skill checks at higher levels, you do become superhuman rather quickly. So it only makes sense that you don't have to keep standing right next to someone you want to shank, slash, bludgeon, perforate or otherwise harm with a melee weapon after a certain point.

>>49862932
That is because such feats would be boring. And mandatory, as >>49862987 points out.
And if you really don't want something special, you can always blow your feats on extra Items and extra HP.
>>
>>49863022
Can Anima be used for modern/cyberpunk stuff?
>>
Biggest reason why Legend works for Final Fantasy: It assumes the presence of guns and magitech.
>>
>>49861863
Was going to second this. Playing a Monk in Legend was fucking amazing.
>>
>>49862726
>Feats are also pretty damn flavorful and varied.
>>
>>49863113
Do not focus on petty details like what you are searching for anon.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.