[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New player here, in first campaign with another new player >other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: FB_IMG_1476219703164.jpg (18KB, 497x505px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1476219703164.jpg
18KB, 497x505px
New player here, in first campaign with another new player

>other newbie is a halfling rogue
>has to go stealth through something by herself
>middle of an open field
>checks for traps 3 times
>tries to roll to light lantern

She also constantly metagames and her character has 0 personality. How do I tell her to stop being retarded?

Pic related
>>
>>49857936
By calmly, warmly explain the different situations, to not steal all the story attention, to be thematic, to not be afraid of problems and that failur makes for good story elements and to trust the GM and the other players, and so on.

With out trust in every one in the group then there's no point.
>>
File: 1409558704384.jpg (134KB, 960x768px) Image search: [Google]
1409558704384.jpg
134KB, 960x768px
>>49857936
ask her to scout ahead of the group as you travel, a decent dm would realise that a scout would be sneaking and checking for traps because thats what a scout does.

also make a show of handing the dm your background before the game and ask her questions about her past in char, my first char had 2 paragraphs of background and that only because i knew i needed something, it grew substantuly as the game progressesd and qustions needed to be anwered.
>>
File: GMing in a Nutshell.jpg (49KB, 443x500px) Image search: [Google]
GMing in a Nutshell.jpg
49KB, 443x500px
>>49857936

This is basically texbook behavior for a new player, particularly one who favors rogue/thief classes.

Most of these behaviors will dissipate as she becomes more experienced and realizes TTRPGs are not vidya.

Frankly none of this seems all that offensive, especially since, again, new player. You just sound like kind of a "YER DOIN IT WRONG" sperg. Especially since you, as a new player, are almost certainly making your own mistakes and acting out on behaviors more experienced players find obnoxious. Look to thyself before judging others.
>>
>>49857936
Tell us about all the things you do wrong during games, OP.
>>
>>49858462

Well he passively judges new players for being new, despite being a newfag himself.

Then he bitches about newfags on 4chan.
>>
>>49857936
>>checks for traps 3 times
Excessive unless there is a reason
Were there elves around?

>>tries to roll to light lantern
What?
Rolling for a simple action is unnecessary and anyone could have just said that at any time.
Trying to stealthily light a lantern in the middle of an open field, however, is indeed retarded.

>She also constantly metagames
0% metagaming is hard to do.
But constant metagaming should be avoided.

>her character has 0 personality
Newbie mistake

>How do I tell her to stop being retarded?
>>49858012
>calmly
This

Literally nothing you mentioned is worth getting angry over.
Work with them and the GM to improve the depth of their role-playing and understanding when certain things are appropriate.
>>
She's a new player. Calmly explain to her you do not need to search for traps every 5 feet (though my dad does this and he's been playing TTRPGs for almost 40 years now). Also explain you don't have to roll to light a lantern (though I as the DM will sometimes roll a d10 and on a 1 it's something like "oh the lantern won't light cause it's faulty" just cause it feels simulationist to me or something).

Also, my first D&D character did not have any personality either, and did not until I reached 5th level or so and actually started roleplaying.

And there really isn't that much wrong with metagaming in certain instances. It is far over-villified. Especially in games like D&D where players know half the monster manual and it's impossible to separate player and character knowledge. Hell I knew the 3.5 monster manual in and out so I had to take a shitton of knowledge ranks to justify it. I also bought snacks all the time for the one DM who actually made up his own monsters with shitty drawings and everything so I could experience mystery again.

The biggest issue here, however, is the fact that the player is female. This is in itself a huge red flag. Woman players constantly attention whore for sex from among any male players she may find attractive, or else tries to get favors from them by turning them into her beta orbiters. I would suggest finding a way to remove her from the game post-haste.
>>
File: flirt rolls.png (108KB, 413x292px) Image search: [Google]
flirt rolls.png
108KB, 413x292px
>>49858597

Kek'd at the end.

I hope other people get the sarcasm.
>>
>>49858597
10/10 Aristocrats anon
>>
File: image.jpg (63KB, 282x424px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63KB, 282x424px
>>49858597
A perfect post.
>>
File: 1474389521179.jpg (30KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
1474389521179.jpg
30KB, 292x257px
>>49858597
My boy
>>
>>49858597
>And there really isn't that much wrong with metagaming in certain instances. It is far over-villified.
More so not all metagaming is to gain advantage or success. My group metagames constantly to make matters even worse for their characters, to create more interesting storylines and to lift other characters, so that other players, including the GM; will have moments to shine.

The rest is a load of shit that normal communication can deal with. Except the lantern, I'll remember that simple trick of the d10.
>>
>>49859338
>My group metagames constantly to make matters even worse for their characters, to create more interesting storylines and to lift other characters, so that other players, including the GM; will have moments to shine.

I envy you. Really.
>>
>>49859726

That sort of thing is inevitable when several or all of your players are experienced RPers. Better still if they're actual writers.
>>
>>49858597
Expertly crafted old style trolling. I fucking love it.
>>
What kind of plants could show up in say, an underground city with dwarves where there isn't any dirt?

All I can think of is moss and maybe some muchrooms.
>>
>>49859864
Plump helmets, duh?
>>
>Starting off players with DnD
Why do people keep doing this to you poor bastards? Trains some of the worst habits ever.

On topic though: Talk about it like adults. Don't be accusatory.
>>
>>49862048
What would you recommend to start with?
>>
>>49862436
Short of some truly awful shit pretty much anything else that isn't designed to be a retro-clone. Really depends on what you're interested in playing. My griping aside the best place to start is whatever engages you the most.

Do branch out and play as many systems as you can though.
>>
>>49859726
>>49859762
Yeah we've been at it for decades now, so yes, very experienced RPers, and indeed a couple of authors. Some of the people we grew up with and played with are what became jeep form RP/LARPing (that's 80s and 90s Scandinavia for you, nothing to do but to roleplay) and pushes the boundries of the Nordic LARP scene.
>>
>>49862436
Any system that is not based around combat encounters and the resource managment there of and has class based level progression.

I'd suggest Mutant Year Zero or why not Call of Cthulhu, Savage World (even though it has a hidden level progession), One Role Engine or Unknown Armies?
>>
>>49863428
>One Role Engine
Err, Roll. Sorry.
>>
>>49863428
>one role engine
But that's what class based D&D is!
>>
>>49859338
>My group metagames constantly to make matters even worse for their characters, to create more interesting storylines and to lift other characters, so that other players, including the GM; will have moments to shine.
This is the best thing I've read today.
>>
File: usarmysweep.jpg (115KB, 537x393px) Image search: [Google]
usarmysweep.jpg
115KB, 537x393px
>>49857936
>>middle of an open field
>>checks for traps 3 times
Yeah, stupid player, no one in the history of ever has planted a trap in the middle of a field.
>>
>>49857936
>How do I tell her to stop being retarded?
you don't unless you want to trigger spite. you do cool stuff when it's your turn, making her look lame and petty in comparison. she will learn.
>>
>>49863428
>Any system that is not based around combat encounters
Combat based roleplay can be really fun, specially when you start. Ever heard of Wraith World III ? I'd take this over Dnd any day of the year
>Any system that is not based around the resource managment
fucking this
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.