[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - The Work of an Enemy 「

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 151
Thread images: 9

File: 57.jpg (46KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
57.jpg
46KB, 312x445px
Good morning and welcome back to Ask A Judge!
>>
>>49857196
How exact do you have to be with lost legacy to be close enough? I want to exile something in my opponent's grveyard but he won't let me look to get the exact name.
>>
>>49857292
graveyard is a free/public information. Call a judge if he won't let you look at the content of his graveyard.
>>
>>49857292
You just need to uniquely identify it. For example, "That 6/6 green mythic Giant that fetches lands when it ETB and attacks" is probably enough to identify Primeval Titan.

That said, your opponent doesn't have the option to not let you look. The graveyard is a public zone, and all players are allowed to see the cards in all graveyards at all times. If your opponent won't let you look at their graveyard, and won't show you the contents, call a Judge.
>>
>>49857342
Judge ruled that it would be cheating because of "outside assistance" and if I didn't know card names I shouldn't play cards that require me to name things.
>>
>>49857369
fake judge
>>
>>49857196
This seems pretty standard, but it should be pretty easy to answer

My opponent swings with a creature. Move to declare blockers, I declare my creature as a blocker. Can he respond with an instant spell that would bounce my blocker back to my hand before I block the creature? I don't care if it gets bounced before damage but still counts as blocked, my opponent tried to say that my creature would be bounced before I blocked. For clarification, we HAD moved into the declare blockers stage.
>>
>>49857422
In that instance, no. As soon as you hit the declare blockers step, you assign blockers and that's a turn-based action that can't be responded to.

If he wants to bounce or tap down possible blockers, the last time he can do that is during the declare attacker step.
>>
>>49857473
But you can still activate things at instant speed during the blockers step, correct? Or is it combat damage step that you can do that ?(playing an instant that buffs your board, etc.)
>>
>>49857369
The fuck lol this is literally not according to rules, you are allowed to see your opponents grave any time you want, it would be stupid if you couldn't especially in vintage/legacy where graveyard plays a bigger role than in modern/st
>>
>>49857501
Yes you can AFTER blockers are declared.
Begin combat
Instants and crew time
Declared attackers
Instants
Declare blockers
Instants
First strike damage
Damage
Resolve combat

Instants of course means any activated ability that can be used at instant speed, spells with flash.

This means if you want a blocker with flash you need to play it in declare attackers. And to crew it need to be done before declare attackers. Declaring attackers and blocker does not grant priority until it is completed. (can't tap a creature in response to being declared an attacker, ect.)
>>
Can you tap and sac Evolving Wilds without having to search for a basic if your deck has none left?
>>
>>49857501
Yes, you can. In the example you posted, you declare blockers and he bounces your blocker. The attacker is blocked, so it wont deal damaget to you (unless it has trample)
>>
>>49857613
Yes, you can search and fail to find even if you still have basics in your deck.
>>
So my opponent attacks me with a gudul lurker and a cloud sprite, then he ninjutsu in a Sakashima’s Student for his gudul lurker and it copies my Flamerush Rider.
Will the copied Flamerush Rider ability activate ?
>>
>>49857613
Absolutely! You can even tap and sac it and CHOOSE not to find a basic, even if you have one.

>>49857770
Trigger, not activate. And no. The Sakashima's Rider (does it count as a Kamen Rider since he's wearing a mask?) has that triggered ability, but it was never declared as an attacker; it was put onto the battlefield already attacking. This is why you can't swing with two Flamerush Riders and make an infinite chain of tokens.
>>
If i cast phage from the commander zone do I lose the game?
>>
>>49857369
So, few things.

1) Outside Assistance requires that you seek assistance from outside the game. You were asking for the contents of a public zone, which is neither outside the game, nor illegal to ask for.

2) Outside Assistance is not cheating. OA is a Tournament Error that is penalized with a Match Loss in Competitive/Professional events; Cheating is an Unsporting Conduct infraction that carries a penalty of DQ. They're different things.

3) His 'if you don't know the names, you shouldn't play those cards' is way over the line, and makes him an asshole.

4) Even if you weren't allowed to 'name' a card by simply uniquely identifying it (which you are), you're allowed to ask a Judge for the full Oracle text of any card at any time. So if you said "Can I get the Oracle text for that legendary 5 drop Vehicle from Kaladesh?", that's enough for me to know you're talking about Skysovereign, Consul Flagship, and give you the full Oracle text for it... including its name. Which you could then use to name "Skysovereign, Consul Flagship" for something (not Lost Legacy, since artifact, but still)

>>49857383
Not necessarily. It might have been a non-certified person acting as the judge for an event; you can be a judge for an event without being a certified Judge. It's also possible they were just mistaken (but also kind of a dick)- Judges are human. We're fallible, and make mistakes.

>>49857422
In the situation described, no. Your opponent is acting in the Declare Blockers step, which is after all blocks are locked in. If your opponent wants to bounce your creature before you can block with it, they have to act before they KNOW you're gonna block- they can't ask you what blocks you're gonna do and then jump back to Declare Attackers to make choices based on information they shouldn't have yet.

>>49857894
Yes, because the Command Zone is not your hand.
>>
Okay so how does Lion's Eye Diamond works/interacts with that hellbent tutor from ravnica ?
>>
>>49857971
So, that "any time you could cast an instant" rider on LED is to stop you from using it to cast a spell from your hand. Normally you have the ability to move a card to the stack from your hand (as step one of casting it), go through the steps of casting, and activate mana abilities as part of casting it, rather than by just floating mana and then casting the spell, as most people do.

So you can't use LED to cast a spell from your hand (barring Madness, obv) but you can cast Infernal Tutor, hold priority, and then crack LED in response. You'll get your mana, and as Infernal Tutor goes to resolve, you have no cards in hand, so it's just a 'tutor anything'. It doesn't check to see if you're Hellbent until it resolves.
>>
>>49858011
Oh so you use infernal tutor before LED, my friend did it the other day when we played but he did LED before tutoring.
>>
>>49858097
Yeah. You cast Tutor, hold priority, and pop LED for the mana to cast what you tutor for. If you pop LED first, then Infernal Tutor is in your graveyard and you can't cast it.
>>
File: Strata Scythe.png (155KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Strata Scythe.png
155KB, 223x311px
Does Panharmonicon allow you two exile two different land types with Strata Scythe and gain the benefit from both?
>>
>>49858116
That's what I thought, however from what he told me, it seemed that somehow the tutor got into the stack before LED but left after it, which made no sense.
>>
>>49858193
Sure does! It'll give you two triggers, and each can exile a different land card. Rule 607.3 tells us that the second ability on Strata Scythe is linked to BOTH of the triggers, so when that ability refers to 'the exiled card', it'll be looking at both of the cards exiled by those triggers. So you can double up by hitting two different lands.

>>49858247
Yeah, it seems like he's not 100% sure how it actually works. For one, LED doesn't even use the stack- it's a mana ability. It resolves immediately and can't be responded to, so even if he could give his Tutor flash and be casting it from some other zone (since the discard is a cost, not an effect), he still couldn't do it "in response".
>>
>>49858288
My opponent casts a thing, holds priority and responds with another thing. I flash in a spell queller and thanks to my panharmonicon I eat both spells.

Does he get them both back when it leaves play, or only one?
>>
gA, I just wanted to say you're awesoIn fact, you inspired me. A new game shop opened up near me and needs a real judge, so I got in contact with our coordinator and I'm on my way to becoming a judge. I'm so excited, I've wanted to do this for so long.

Do you have any tips? I'm shadowing next week, is there anything I should look out for or know specifically? Do you have any stories from when you first started?
>>
File: Prototype Portal.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Prototype Portal.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>49858288
>Rule 607.3
Thanks a lot, and thanks for referencing the rule number as well!

One more question regarding this that I hope you can answer.

The rule states: "If that ability performs any actions on the exiled card, it performs that action on each exiled card."
Let's say I exile two cards, each with a CMC of 2 with Prototype Portal.
Can I play both at the same time, and will I have to pay 2 or 4 mana to do so?
>>
>>49858348
Both, for the same reason. The second ability on Queller is linked to both instances of the first.

>>49858365
I'm very happy to hear that!

Don't stress too much about your shadowing. It's mostly so you can get a first-hand look at what running a tournament involves; you won't be DOING much, you'll just be watching and learning. The judge you're shadowing will probably talk to you about the test, about where you are knowledge-wise, all that stuff. As for the test, I'd advise you to go in with a full stomach and a clear head, and to read every question very carefully. Try to answer the question before you even read the options- they're worded similarly and trickily on purpose, so if you jump on the first one that seems right, you might muck it up.

But mostly, have fun with it.

>>49858453
You'll pay 4, because that is the total CMC of the exiled cards. You can put a token copy of Thing A, Thing B, or both.
>>
If i use isochron sceptre with a panharmonicon to imprint two instants do i choose what spell to cast or do i get both?
>>
>>49858541
You can cast either one, or both.
>>
>>49858498
Thanks. I'm sure you're sick of the panharmonicon questions by now, but I appreciate it!
>>
>>49858573
Nah, they're basically a cut-and-paste of the Strionic Resonator questions. Really, Panharmonicon isn't the fucky part, it's that Imprint is weird.
>>
>>49858562
Cool so its kindof like the brain in a jar scenario.
>>
>>49858630
Oh, you mean activating Brain in a Jar and then copying the ability with a Rings of Brighthearth?

Yeah, kinda.

Okay, running into town to get lunch. Back soon.
>>
My LGS hasn't had a judge in over a year, and I'm considering the possibility that I'm the regular most suited for the task. If I'm not interested in working the floor at a GP, but just want to help my LGS, is the judge program for me? Would studying the CR, MTR, and JAR be sufficient for now? I'm frankly not interested in the pathway of being groomed to work competitive events at the moment.

My second question is, have you ever had a player generally make themselves a nuisance at regular level events by imposing their expectations from competitive level events? We had a player that called a judge over their opponent saying "attack with cub, go" and THEN fiddling with a spindown die for their energy. Is my understanding correct that the energy gain trigger is non-disruptive?
>>
>>49858832
It absolutely is! The Judge Program basically divides people into three groupings, based on how far they're willing to travel, and the 'floor' of their knowledge.

The VAST majority of all judges are L1s; store judges. They're basically expected to only really work with one store (or maybe a few in a small area); they're only expected to know the CR stuff they'd run into most often at like, FNM (which means typically just Standard-level stuff), the MTR, and the JAR. They are not expected to know the IPG, they are not expected to travel for events, etc, etc.

The only requirements once you're in as an L1 are "pass a test every year to make sure you're keeping up with the rules updates", "Judge one event per 12 months", and "Don't be a dick". You'll only be 'groomed' to work competitive events if you walk up to a senior Judge and say "I want to work competitive events". It's a growth area, and we're happy to help L1s that want to grow past the store level, but if you want to do store-level stuff, that is 1000% fine!

Generally, it's better to be as clear as possible than to be vague. We do have a lot more 'grey area' at REL Regular because the focus is less on tight technical play, and more on learning, and fun. As long as you don't think someone's trying to game the system, there's a lot of leeway. For Cub, saying "Swing with Cub, pass turn" and immediately reaching for a dice is just fine. You're showing clear awareness of your trigger, and simply compacting "Swing, pass turn" to speed things along, rather than to try and gloss over your trigger or hide it.

Basically at Regular, you can nudge people towards being clear with what they're doing (while the Cub scenario is fine, it'd be GREAT if they said "Swing with Cub, get two energy, pass turn" to eliminate ambiguity!), but as long as nobody's being an asshole or trying to be scummy, you should use a light touch.
>>
If I Take Possession of Mind Control, do I control said creature? I'm assuming the You in MC refers to the controller.
>>
>>49859803
Any time a spell or permanent refers to "YOU", it means the controller of that thing. So the 'you' on Mind Control refers to Mind Control's controller. First you steal the Mind Control, then you steal the enchanted creature, then you steal the world.
>>
>>49859822
>>49859803
(Non-goofy answer, yes. Taking Possession of the MC will yank the thing it's enchanting right alongside)
>>
>>49858348
Who chooses what order they come back?
>>
>>49859968
You know, I'm not 100% sure on that. Let me look into it.
>>
>>49857584
You can cast spells between first strike and regular damage. Not usually relevant, but I remember getting morbid for Brimstone Volley after something died to first strike.
>>
>>49859832
>>49859822
Different guy, but follow up question. If my opponent Mind Controls my creature, and then I Mind Control/Take Possession it, I get the creature back but they still have mind control right? I assume it's a timestamps thing.
>>
>>49860073
Correct, for exactly the reason you think. There's two control-changing effects working in Layer 2, so the newer one 'wins'. Your opponent's Mind Control is still on the field, still enchanting your creature, and still 'on', it's just being overridden by YOUR Mind Control.
>>
>>49859968
>>49860012
So, consensus I'm getting is that there's just one Queller trigger on death, and it brings back both spells. If they were spells from different players they're cast in AP/NAP order, but if they're controlled by one player (as in your example) they cast those spells in the order of their choosing.
>>
File: kuon.jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
kuon.jpg
34KB, 223x310px
Let's say I have Kuon on the board with original Marchessa, both with +1/+1 counters. If both + another creature die, will Kuon's ability activate when he comes back? Or did it miss the trigger by coming in at the moment it would check?
>>
>>49860475
Kuon will come back at the beginning of your end step. That's where Kuon WOULD trigger, but he wasn't on the battlefield at the time, so by the time he -is- on the battlefield it's too late.
>>
File: images.jpg (9KB, 160x228px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9KB, 160x228px
Does this count as a forest? Like if I have a creature whose power/toughness is equal to the number of forests I control would this land count towards its power/toughness?
>>
>>49860562
It would have to say Forest on it where it says Land.
>>
>>49860562
It does not. All Forests make green mana, but not everything that makes green mana is a Forest. It would have to have the land subtype of "FOREST" after the word Land there- the way Taiga and Stomping Ground and Sapseep Forest and Murmuring Bosk do.
>>
Have you ever asked Wizards about letting you have a preview card?
>>
Okay, imagine I have a bunch of creatures and a blood artist then my opponent activates nevinyrral's disk.
Will the blood artist trigger or not? I thought that it did but my opponent said that since it died at the same time as the other creatures it don't see it happen and then it doesn't trigger.
>>
>>49862084
You should show your opponent the Gatherer page for Blood Artist.
Right down there in that Rulings section towards the bottom of the page.
>>
>>49862084
It will trigger for itself AND for every other creature that took the dick.
If things enter or leave at the same time, they all "see" each other enter/leave.
Your opponent was full of shit.
>>
If puppeteer clique steals a card from a grave and it leaves the battlefield before the end step does it get exiled?
>>
>>49860802
I haven't, but I've also technically HAD several. I'm part of the Rules Tip Blog project, and we've gotten... three or four?

As for one for me, gA specifically, to post on 4chan? Never gonna happen, I'd bet.

>>49862084
Artist will 'see' everything else die, and trigger appropriately.

>>49862441
If by "it" you mean the thing Clique stole, no. That delayed trigger will only be looking for the object it put onto the battlefield- if that permanent LEAVES the battlefield, it becomes a new object, and the delayed trigger won't know where to find it.

IF by "it" you mean Clique, yes. The delayed trigger was set up by the resolution of the ETB trigger; it doesn't require Clique to be alive to function.
>>
Does Meren of clan nel Toth ability FORCE you to put the creature onto the battlefield if you have enough experience counters.
Such as you cant, for whatever reason might have you, put that creature into your hand if you have enough experience counters?
>>
>>49863128
If the "cmc less than or equal to" clause is true, you put the card onto the battlefield. There's no way to elect to put it into your hand if you have that many experience counters- it's not a choice you have.
>>
Does wizards purposefully ignore marketing or even mentioning 4chan because of the bad reputation it has or because it is not set up in a way that as easy to discuss upcoming material?

I think of then using reddit and Tumblr and the like.
>>
>>49863247
Probably both. 4chan likely doesn't have as large an MTG market as Reddit does overall (we have a section of /tg/, but they have multiple entire Magic subreddits), and it also has a reputation that they likely don't want to officially associate with.

That, and the temporary nature of everything means that it's hard for them to 'advertise' for more than a few days at a time, realistically.
>>
Combustible gearhulk enters and you mill the the original emrakul, original kozilek, and blightsteel collosus. What happens?
>>
Why do some cards say to exile a spell before casting it? Does it just mean the spell never enters a zone other than exile, so there's no confusion regarding interactions that may occur with more vague text?
>>
>>49863360
A very by the rules play would be:

First you shuffle blightsteel into your library, then the hulk deals damage equal to the cmc of those three cards, then you shuffle your yard in your graveyard for one of the triggers of emrakul/kozi and then you shuffle your library again,

however, shortcutting to dealing damage and shuffling your yard into your library all at once is fine.

>>49863514
To avoid casting the card while still in the library, which is kinda weird. (on the top is sometimes found exceptable)
(yes palakka wurm exists)
>>
>>49863587
Does blight steel not count since it never hits the yard?
>>
>>49863360
Blightsteel is revealed and shuffled in as part of the process, and the OG Titans trigger. We're not done resolving the Gearhulk trigger, so Hulk is going to dome your opponent for... I believe 37, because it knows it milled Colossus so it uses the last information it had about it before the shuffle-back.

>>49863514
Depends on the card. Stuff like Scepter makes a copy in exile and has you cast it, because creating a copy directly on the stack is... odd, when you're not copying something that's actually on the stack.

Stuff like Chandra where it's "exile, you can cast that later" is intended to be a pseudo-draw, sorta.
>>
>>49863788

So no shuffling happens until all three cards are revealed and then attempted to put into the graveyard? or right when blightsteel is revealed and put his replacement effect happens and then you put the next two?

I know all the shuffling can happen at once but the actual ordering is ruining me
>>
>>49863935
Right. You're told to mill the top three, and that's what you do- you don't mill 1, then 1, then 1. You go to put all 3 in your graveyard, Colossus' replacement effect shunts it back into the library, but it was still one of the top 3 cards for Gearhulk so it's counted. Then the other two trigger, and we wait until we're done resolving the Gearhulk trigger to put them on the stack.

So basically, the technical order:

>Go to put all 3 in graveyard
>Reveal Colossus, shuffle in
>Other two trigger; wait
>Deal damage to targeted opponent
>Put Eldrazi triggers on stack
>Resolve first one, shuffle graveyard into library
>Resolve second one, shuffle graveyard into library (probably empty)
>>
Can a player do all the shuffling of a bunch of Mind's Desires at the same time?
>>
>>49864306
Usually, yeah. The point of that shuffle is so you're blind-flipping the top card; you can't manipulate your topdeck. It's absolutely fine for you to shuffle the one time, and then not shuffle between copies as long as your deck remains randomized inbetween, to save time.
>>
How do clone cards work in detail, ex. Clone. Stunt Double, Sakashima the Imposter

I understand most of them dont target unless explicity said so, so when do they choose what to copy? As you cast, as it resolves, or when it etbs?

They should get the etb triggers, but not any cast triggers.

If a copied card has persist/undying, does the copy return as a copy and resolves like the copied card or does it essentially flicker?
>>
>>49864349
The choice of what to copy is a replacement effect that kicks in immediately before they enter the battlefield.

If your Clone is copying an Undying dude, it had Undying when it died, so that'll trigger and bring it back with the +1/+1 counter. It's coming back as a Clone, not as what it copied, so you can choose to copy whatever's on the field (or just have it enter as an effectively-blank 1/1 Clone)
>>
How exactly do I announce Lightning Axe + Fiery Temper properly and any related cast triggers such as Dynavolt Tower? Based on what I know of the rules I assume it's:

>Pay R and discard Fiery Temper before you finish casting Lightning Axe
>Fiery Temper's Madness triggers and goes on the stack
>Lightning Axe finishes being cast, triggering Dynavolt Tower
>Dynavolt Tower resolves
>Lightning Axe resolves
>I may now cast Fiery Temper off the Madness trigger
>Pay R to cast it, it goes onto the stack triggering Dynavolt Tower
>Dynavolt Tower resolves
>Fiery Temper resolves
>>
>>49864399
"I'm gonna float RR, cast Lightning Axe discarding Temper, triggering Madness and Dynavolt Tower. Pay R to cast Temper from the Madness trigger, trigger Tower again; I get 4 energy, do 5 to that, 3 to that?"

Should be fine.
>>
>>49864490
>"I'm gonna float RR, cast Lightning Axe discarding Temper, triggering Madness and Dynavolt Tower. Pay R to cast Temper from the Madness trigger, trigger Tower again; I get 4 energy, do 5 to that, 3 to that?"
But doesn't Madness go onto the stack before Lightning Axe owing to how it's discarded a step before Lightning Axe is finished being cast? This means Lightning Axe and Fiery Temper are never on the stack at the same time, so "5 to that, 3 to that" should never happen.
>>
>>49864380
to clarify

>cast clone
>clone resolves
>clone chooses object to copy
>clone enters as a copy of said object
>etb effects resolve as if it was the object

As a replacement effect, there is no trigger that can be responded to. If an opponent wants to prevent me from copying an object (ex. wall of omens), the clone must not resolve in the first place and/or wall of omens must be off the board by the time the clone resolves. If the wall is gone by the time clone resolves, clone can choose to copy any other legal objects on the board instead.

Sorry, building an edh deck of Sakashima and clone effects so I would like some clarificiation.
>>
>>49864539
The first step of casting a spell is to put it onto the stack.
>>
>>49864539
>>49864552
I should've said "3 to that, 5 to that" because that's the proper order, but technically your opponent has several chances to interrupt in here- I'm just saying this is how you could clearly explain what you're doing, and offer your opponent the opportunity to decline that shortcut and act somewhere in the middle if they want to.

>>49864550
Correct. They don't get to know what you're going to copy until it's too late to act on that- they have to predict.
>>
>>49864552
I meant finished being cast. That IS when Dynavolt Tower would trigger, right?
>>
>>49864399
Here's as best I can grok it
>cast axe, discarding temper as part of the cost
>temper goes straight to exile as it was discarded, Axe has finished being cast, tower triggers, temper triggers
>stack the two triggers how you like
>temper is cast, triggering tower.
>tower resolves, temper resolves, tower resolves (if stacked under temper), lightning axe resolves.
>>
>>49864571
Final question regarding cloning. At what point does a clone hitting the grave switch properties. With the persist question, that means destroyed effects work as the copied effect. What about hit the graveyard? If a cloned blightsteel colossus hits the grave, does it hit it as a blightsteel and get shuffled back into the library or dies it hit the grave as a clone and triggering nothing? (Assumed method is sacrificed)
>>
If I clone a Mirror-Mad Phantasm, have no Mirror-Mad Phantasms in my library and activate the clone's ability. Can I just flip my library upside down and place it on top of my graveyard?
>>
>>49864621
It's just that the discard happens before Axe has finished being "cast".

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Casting_spells

>601.2h The player pays the total cost in any order. Partial payments are not allowed. Unpayable costs can’t be paid.
Fiery Temper goes to exile and Madness triggers here.
>601.2i Once the steps described in 601.2a–h are completed, the spell becomes cast. Any abilities that trigger when a spell is cast or put onto the stack trigger at this time. If the spell’s controller had priority before casting it, he or she gets priority.
Lightning Axe is cast and Dynavolt Tower triggers here.
>>
Since a vehicle is an artifact when it enters does that mean I can crew it and attack the same turn?
>>
>>49864697
No, because as soon as it becomes a creature, summoning sickness applies to it.

>>49864628
The second it leaves the battlefield. Colossus works because that replacement effect exists immediately BEFORE it goes to the graveyard, but an Emrakul-Clone would not trigger.

>>49864657
Technically you need to reveal the whole library to prove you have no Mirror Mad Phantasms. But basically.

Alright, I'm gonna be busy for a few hours here! Back later.
>>
400.7b is a very strange rule that I have never seen come up in my 15 years of playing. Does this obscure exception have a logical reason to exist that I'm missing? Has any player used this rule intuitively without reading the CR?
>>
>>49864697
You can crew it just fine. But at that point it will be a creature you haven't controlled continuously since the start of your most recent turn, and won't be able to attack or use tap abilities.

You can, however, use it to crew a bigger vehicle.
>>
How do you like part 4?
>>
If I attach Bound by Moonsilver on a Theros god like Thassa and later she stops being a creature, do I have to bury the aura ?
>>
Would Kalemne, Disciple of Iroas gain an experience counter if I cast a 5+ CMC creature whose cost is reduced to be less than 5?
>>
Dumb question. Player delves out his angler and i beckon apparition one of his graveyard delved cards. What happens to the angler?
>>
>>49865166

Delving is part of the cost paid, so while you can cast Beckon Apparition in response to Angler the cards have already been exiled.
>>
How about if he casts archeomancer? Can I exile the card he wanted back to deny him?
>>
>>49863360
Someone dies, hopefully
>>
>>49865492

I think so. Archaeomancer resolves, then it enters the battlefield which puts its ETB trigger on the stack when the casting player chooses an instant or sorcery, and you have a chance to respond to it before it resolves.
>>
>>49864725
As far as i know it means if they cast goblin guide, you cast hallow on it while its on the stack (the only time you can legally) and they swing, you gain 2
>>
>>49858365

The test is about 99.999% trick questions
>>
>>49864983
Yes

>>49865007
Yes
>>
File: IMG_6457.jpg (84KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6457.jpg
84KB, 312x445px
It'a only cards Exiled with the current instance of Kaho that you can cast, right? If she gets bounced to your hand or whatever and you replay her you you only have access to the new three cards you exile, correct?
>>
>>49866698
Yes, only the cards exiled by the current one.
>>
gA, how excited are you by the 4C commander decks incoming ?
>>
>>49869452
>how excited are you by the 4C commander decks incoming ?
Given WotC of late they'll probably suck dockey dick.
>>
>>49869910
They will probably be the usual.

(3)(c1)(c2)mana
----------------------------------
(4)(c3)(c4)gimmicky effect only doable with shitloads of mana and barely affects the board
----------------------------- 3/4

(1)(c1)(c2)(c3)(c4)mana
------------------------------
(c1)(c2)(c3)(c4)tutor for something awful, most likely restricted and limited (Search your library for a Demon card with CMC 2 or less and put it on top of your library), activated only once per turn.
------------------------- 3/2

And shit like that. Blizzards are really fucking stupid sometimes and will not surprise the Commanders are garbage and the actual good cards are the new cards included in the decks.
>>
>>49864719
If I target a Dig Through Time with Jace, Telepath Unbound's second ability, can I delve to help pay for it?

(Asking for Frontier purposes)
>>
>>49870887
yes you can
>>
Haven't seen you in a while, did something happen?
>>
>>49870887
Yes, you can. And you can delve even if you make it gain flashback with Snapcaster Mage or Past in Flames.
>>
File: pt61dtk.jpg (36KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
pt61dtk.jpg
36KB, 312x445px
Say I cast Living Lore and exile an Entreat the Angels, and then after combat I active it's ability. It says I can cast it "Without paying it's cost". But the cost is XXWWW. Does it only covers the WWW? Do I make infinite angels? Also what's living lore's power and thoughtness?
>>
>>49873128
x is zero.
you make zero angels
living lore's p/t will be 3/3
>>
>>49873173
What a bummer.
>>
>>49857196
Not really a card question, but not sure if there's something for this.

If I declare I'm casting a card clearly and my two opponents are in the middle of a conversation how much of an obligation am I under to make sure they heard it before the burden is on them to pay attention?
>>
>>49873280
The game can't move until your opponent passed their priority after you cast something anyway.
>>
>>49873407
Ok, so even if they don't hear me declare it 2-3 times I need to wait anyways.

Got it.
>>
AND I'M BACK

Reality reared its ugly head, sorry about that. "A few hours" turned into "I didn't get to bed until 1 AM"
>>
>>49864955
Of Jojo? I've fallen behind and I need to catch up- I like it, but due to "not enough Joseph Joestar", it falls behind parts 2 and 3 so far. Still, Stands.

>>49864983
Yes. It can't legally be attached to something that's not a creature, so if Thassa stops being a creature, Moonsilver falls off and goes to the graveyard as a state-based action.

>>49865007
Yep! She doesn't care how much you're paying for your spell, she only cares about their CMC (which is unchanged; the only time CMC can change is with X spells, where X is 0 off of the stack and equal to whatever you said it is ON the stack. An Inferno Titan has a CMC of 6 no matter how much you're spending to cast it, and will trigger Kalemne appropriately)

>>49865166
Nothing, because you can't do that. You can't cast a spell in the middle of him paying costs; you can either try to pre-emptively Beckon (say, during his Upkeep) to make it harder to cast, or you can wait until he casts his Angler... at which point you can't respond until his spell is fully paid for and on the stack, so you can use the Beckon to hit something that he left behind.

>>49865492
Yep! Just respond to the trigger once he's picked his target.

>>49865669
Correct.

>>49865878
No, it isn't. There are DIFFICULT questions, where missing a single word (or mentally inserting one) can totally change the answer, but they do have actual answers that you can work out by the rules. It's not just bullshit that's made up for the test.

>>49866698
Right. If she changes zones, she becomes a new object with no memory of, or relation to, her previous selves. The cards Old!Kaho exiled are basically just lost to you.

>>49869452
Moderately? It'll depend on what they ARE, I guess.

>>49870887
Yes- Delve is simply a manner of paying for the spell. Even if you used Snapcaster (which gives Flashback, instead of just "you can cast that from the graveyard" like Jace), you could still Delve.
>>
>>49871441
Work, life, shit like that. I've just not really had time, unfortunately!

>>49873128
If you're casting a spell with X in the cost, without paying the mana cost, X must be zero (with exactly one exception, and this isn't it).

Lore's P/T would be 3.

>>49873280
>>49873426
Magic's a game of priority, not reflexes. Per the rules, they have to explicitly pass priority back to you without responding for your spell to resolve.

As for the situation where this will actually happen (a casual multiplayer game), a lot of people use the 'houserule' of "If you're not paying attention, you lose the right to respond". I'd try to get their attention like... two or three times, and then just move on.
>>
Do you think that wizards will accept frontier as a proper format someday ?
>>
>>49875126
1. A new constructed format is not a matter of if, but when.
2. The name will almost certainly not be frontier.
>>
If I cast fateful showdown with no cards in my library but discard enough cards to deal lethal damage to my opponent who wins?
>>
>>49875721
Nobody does. First, you'll dome your opponent for lethal. Then, you'll discard your hand and try to draw that many, but fail to because your library is empty. Then, Fateful Showdown goes to your graveyard from the stack.

State-Based Actions are checked and they see that your opponent is at 0 or less life, and that you've tried to draw cards from an empty library since the last time SBAs were checked. So, they make both of you lose and remove you from the game. End result: Draw.
>>
On the official wizards practice judge website, why is it that I got this question wrong? I feel that what I selected was right.

A cystbearer (2/3, infect) attacks and is blocked by a vanilla 1/5. The attacking player players virulent strike on cystbearer. How is damage assigned?

The option I selected was, "The 1/5 takes 3 infect damage" as you can't give a creature two instances of infect. But thd right answer was, "The 1/5 gains 3 -1/-1 counters AND 3 normal damage killing it."

Wtf bro? I was too salty to read the explanation, and now I'm wishing I did.
>>
>>49875930
Yeah, not sure why it would say that.

Also, you may have noticed that the practice exam said "Confidential" and tells you not to disclose the contents of the exam. There's an option to report a question you think has an incorrect answer to the correct people built into the test.

I am not the correct people.
>>
>>49875930
What's virulent strike?
>>
>>49876092
I think it was supposed to be Tainted Strike, but it might have actually been Virulent Swipe, which gives Deathtouch.

Still doesn't match the answer properly, though.
>>
>>49876052

This was a good few hears ago, must have forgot the little disclosure.
>>
>>49876092
>>49876114

Sorry, yeah Tainted strike, my bad
>>
>>49876123
You do, because Gearhulk's pseudo-flashback doesn't have the 'from anywhere' clause that actual Flashback does. As your spell tries to go to the graveyard on resolution, there's two replacement effects at work: one wants to put it into exile, and the other, into your hand. Since it's your spell, you choose which to apply.
>>
File: memory.png (267KB, 448x310px) Image search: [Google]
memory.png
267KB, 448x310px
If I cast Capsize with Torrential Gearhulk's ability, and pay the buyback cost, do I get to cast it again from my hand (without the buyback this time) without it being exiled?
>>
>>49876146
Sure. Because of >>49876145 , you can put it into your hand instead of exile via Buyback (which is not possible with NORMAL Flashback + Capsize). Once you do that, the replacement effect that Gearhulk set up no longer matters, because the event it wants to replace has already happened, and the card in your hand is a totally different object.
>>
>>49876145
>>49876194
Sorry, forgot pic and tried to ninja it.
I get that with the first cast off of Gearhulk's ability, buyback would let me put it back to my hand. I'm wondering if Gearhulk's ability can track the card in my hand if I were to cast it again later in the turn without paying the buyback cost.
>>
What's the difference between banding and bands with other ?
When the blocking rules changed in 2010, iirc, what exactly changed for banding in general ?
>>
if there is an effect on the field that reduces/increases the mana cost of a card or card type would any effected cards have a reduced/increased CMC or is their CMC calculated as the base cost?
>>
>>49875755
very cool thanks man
>>
>>49876430
Banding means you can use that, plus as many other creatures with Banding, plus up to one creature WITHOUT banding, to form a Band.

"Bands with other [QUALITY]", you can take that, plus as many things of that quality as you want, to form a band. So with Banding, you can have at most one non-banding thing. With "Bands with other", you can have that as the ONLY thing in the band that actually has a Banding ability, so long as the rest of the band are of the stated quality.

The main change since 2010 is that when Banding is a factor, the pre-2010 rules on assigning damage are back; as you choose how to assign your opponent's creatures' damage, you can assign less-than-lethal before moving on. So you could spread 6 damage among six 2/2 creatures such that none of them die.

>>49876511
CMC is the sum total of the symbols in the top-right of the card. The only time it can change is with X spells.

Whether you're paying 0, 4GG, 2GG, 7GG, or WUBRG and a coupon to cast it, a Primeval Titan has a CMC of 6.
>>
>>49877338
Thanks dude.
>>
>>49877819
Happy to help!

Also, because I am an insane person, the following are the new names of each day's thread.

「 B L U E M O N D A Y 」
「 R U B Y T U E S D A Y 」
「 W E D N E S D A Y M O R N I N G 3 A M 」
「 T H U R S D A Y ' S C H I L D 」
「 F R I D A Y I ' M I N L O V E 」
「 S A T U R D A Y I N T H E P A R K 」
「 L A Z Y S U N D AY 」
>>
File: Image.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>49857196
Casual player here.

If I have Jace's Erasure on the field with some thing like Orcanis, the Omnipotent whose tap ability is draw three card does the enchantment work three time for each card I draw or once for one instance of card drawing?
>>
>>49878093
>>49878093
>Orcanis, the Omnipotent
Arcanis*
>>
>>49878093
"Draw three cards" means "draw 1 card", repeated 3 times. Jace's Erasure will trigger 3 times. You'll draw your 3 first (as part of resolving Arcanis' ability), then after that you'll put the three Erasure triggers on the stack.
>>
If I have a creature with first strike, then give it double strike, will it overruled first strike ?

If I have a creature with double strike, then give it first strike, will it overruled double strike ?
>>
>>49878189
For the first... kinda.

Double Strike means that it deals damage in the First Strike -and- normal combat damage steps. Giving Double Strike to a creature that already has First Strike works basically the same as giving it to a Grizzly Bear- now it hits twice, instead of once. It still HAS First Strike for anything that cares about that, though.

Giving First Strike to a creature that has Double Strike does nothing relevant. It doesn't "overrule" Double Strike, you just have a creature with both First and Double Strike (which is functionally identical to one that only has Double Strike)
>>
Wierd question but if I have a Bridge from Below in my graveyard and a vehicle my opponent controls dies in combat, is my bridge exiled ?
>>
>>49878262
Thanks senpai.
>>
>>49878293
Yes, because it was a creature at the time that it died.
>>
If there's a Thalia, Guardian of Thraben, Helm of Awakening and a Trinisphere on the battlefield how much will cost me to cast Fog ?
>>
>>49878529
2G. First you apply increases (Thalia bumps you to 1G), then discounts (Helm pulls it back down to G), then Trinisphere (2G).
>>
why does rooftop storm say you can pay 0 rather than say "without paying its mana cost? what significance does this have
>>
>>49880279
I think it's only relevant to EDH and the commander tax. For example, you have to pay Thraximundar's commander tax after the first time you cast it from the command zone with Rooftop Storm. Whereas you wouldn't (I believe) with something like Dream Halls.
>>
>>49880763
202.1. A card’s mana cost is indicated by mana symbols near the top of the card. (See rule 107.4.) On most cards, these symbols are printed in the upper right corner. Some cards from the Future Sight set have alternate frames in which the mana symbols appear to the left of the illustration.

So even if it says without paying the mana cost, it doesn't ignore additonal cost such as the commander tax.
even dream halls ruling text states this
>>
>>49880279
I'm honestly not sure.

>>49880763
Incorrect.
>>
>>49881054
>>49881627
Baaaahh
Thread posts: 151
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.