[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it so hard to not play canon characters in a superhero game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 11

File: boigahs.jpg (27KB, 264x351px) Image search: [Google]
boigahs.jpg
27KB, 264x351px
Is it so hard to not play canon characters in a superhero game? I can understand cribbing traits, but why would Batman or Iron Man want to hang around a group of inexperienced noob heroes, dumbing themselves down to their levels?
>>
Is it really that hard to come up with a reason?
Are you /co/-folk utterly devoid of imagination?

Training. Personal Relations. Magic curse. Promise that must be upheld. Some particular specialty. Nanobots.

It's not like big name heroes don't team up with benchwarmers all the time in the comics for one contrived reason or another.
>>
>>49855606
>Why would Batman hand around with a group of inexperienced noob heroes.
>Never watched the Static Shock cartoon.
>Never saw Batman work with Static (a rookie street-level hero).
>Never saw Static help the Justice League take down Brainiac.

Get out, scrub.
>>
I never knew this was a thing. Don't play with idiots.
>>
File: coolherc.jpg (60KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
coolherc.jpg
60KB, 250x250px
>>49856185
But hanging around benchwarmers doesn't make you a benchwarmer.
>>
>Why would Batman want to hang around a bunch of noob heroes
>Implying Batman isn't scoping the noob heroes for potential weaknesses, strengths and risks
>Implying the A-listers don't have some kind of "shit is going down" alert or even some kind of backup plans if they're outside the city

Like shit, I don't know much about DC? But from what I have read, it's not impossible to assume that Nightwing would be able to step in for a night if Batman is otherwise engaged, since Bludhaven is across the bay from Gotham.

Also who's to say that your big name hero du jour doesn't just want a milk run every now and again.
>>
>>49855606
>why would Batman or Iron Man want to hang around a group of inexperienced noob heroes, dumbing themselves down to their levels?
read more comix
>>
File: 677099.jpg (182KB, 600x922px) Image search: [Google]
677099.jpg
182KB, 600x922px
I mean, it's right in the title...
>>
File: thats so batman.jpg (77KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
thats so batman.jpg
77KB, 350x500px
>>49855606
>why would Batman or Iron Man want to hang around a group of inexperienced noob heroes, dumbing themselves down to their levels?

Watch Batman the Brave and the Bold.
>>
File: fuck this shit.png (99KB, 350x490px) Image search: [Google]
fuck this shit.png
99KB, 350x490px
>>49855606
There are dipshits who do this sort of thing no matter what genre they're playing. They've got broken imaginations and lack any sort of drive to create. In fantasy settings you've got the Game of Thrones shitheads who just want to play characters from the show (and have never ever read the books, of course), and you've got the weebs who back in the day wanted to play Inuyasha or Ichigo, and if a game is modern fantasy you've got even more weebs who want to play Naruto, and if it's a scifi/cyberpunk game they'll want to play Motoko Kusanagi from Ghost in the Shell or Raiden as he appears in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

It's a million times worse if you look at freeform games on the internet, because people can and will play anything. There are entire communities and IRC channels dedicated to this kind of trashy shit roleplaying and they're packed wall-to-wall with the worst sorts of players.

It's less about coming up with reasons for established characters to go slumming with newbies and more about just lacking creativity and wanting to be powerful and wanting to have a reputation right from the starting line. The solution is what >>49856255 said.
>>
>>49856211
>>49856995
>>49857058
>>49857087

"Guys we're going to play a low level game where you get low level powers and learn how to use them."

"Can I be Batman? or Iron Man? Or Wolverine?"

This is my problem.
>>
>>49858867
right then they're retarded, best suggestion i can give was have them play blatant shitty knockoffs for a one shot and have it end with them getting a cease and desist
>>
>>49859034
Monty Python And The Holy Grail that shit too. Have police come. Arrest the characters. No ending.
>>
>>49858867

Curious. In my experience, superhero games bring out OCs by the ton. Even if they're obvious knock-offs, they can at least make a couple thematic changes.
>>
>>49859139

Yeah, this is generally my experience. People are generally more interested in playing Arachno-Dude than just straight up playing Spider-man.
>>
File: 000030-2.jpg (206KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
000030-2.jpg
206KB, 1200x1200px
>>49855606
> Johnny "imaculate" richardson is a biomancer whos powers activated shortly after puberty hit, , his nickname was given to him by the special agents who first discovered him while investigating an unnatural phomena at a local highschool where every female beteen 12 and 50 who spent any time on the grounds became pregnant.

After being informed of his metahuman abilitys and undergoing intensive training at a secure facility "imaculate" seems to have gained limited controll over his abilitys, while there will be no more outbreaks like the first he now finds it difficult to affect anyone he is not touching, likely due to a mental block.

threat level Orange (possible bioweapon threat CONTROLLED)

there one super with no real ties to established heroes, simple.

kinda like the idea, could go shapeshifter if more pulpy or biowarfare if a little more villany, could also make a decent medic type.
>>
>>49859468
>Most thugs are males.
>So are most villains.
>Pregnancy takes months to hinder anyone anyway.
Uh OK.
Let's call him your backup char, yes?
>>
File: 1419984025093.jpg (229KB, 532x532px) Image search: [Google]
1419984025093.jpg
229KB, 532x532px
>>49859873
that was how the biomancy power manifested in a horny teen, he could just give his enemys mega cancer or tweak brain chemestry to put them to sleep if he tried to weaponise it rather than have the power equivilant of a wet dream.

do you not know what biomancy is?
>>
>>49855606
I personally don't have a problem with people doing it. I played a rip-off of iron man. I was a regular human in the military who literally had a mechanical super-suit loaded with powers that I would fly around in. The suit is where things stopped being similar however. I wasn't a condescending team leader, but most of what i did was for the betterment of America.

Freedom Eagle was fun until he died throwing a badguy into the sun.
>>
>>49859873
You do realise that his power is biomancer, and not 'baby wizard', right? I'd suggest you reread the first 6 words in the post.
>>
File: bblaugh.gif (2MB, 300x174px) Image search: [Google]
bblaugh.gif
2MB, 300x174px
>>49860518
>baby wizard
>>
>>49860518
>biomancer

But seriously, how would you do that power set without becoming That Guy?
>>
File: ijlsa.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
ijlsa.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>In an alternate reality, the International Justice League of Super Acquaintances never existed.

>Mermaidman: These costumes belonged to the original International Justice League of Super Acquaintances. Once you put on these costumes, their fantastic powers will become yours.

>OP: Wow. I didn't think super powers worked that way.

>Mermaidman: That's because you're a no-fun cuck who should never be allowed to run anything but a stamplicking machine. Take his dice, Barnacle Boy.
>>
>>49855606
>play canon characters in a superhero game
That's like only using the Iconics in Pathfinder
Are your players that devoid of creativity that they can only play pre-established characters
>>
>>49859034
Tell him he can play Batman, then halfway through reveal that he's an escaped mental patient who thinks he's Batman.
>>
>>49860685
Probably the same kind of contrived reasons for Superman to be nerfed. Fuck him over with his drawbacks, railroad him into being unable to act, or just hope he forgets how broken he is. He's like Jesus' bizarro cousin who can make sinners grow boobs then give them terminal breast cancer if he gets bored, you have to either nerf him or lock him down constantly without coming off as a dick.
>>
File: 1466954941581.png (145KB, 618x368px) Image search: [Google]
1466954941581.png
145KB, 618x368px
>"Alright, my character is Power Crab..."
>"Okay, that sounds cool, tell me more"
>"He's the President of Lithuania and can lift a mountain!"
>
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.