[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How would I go about starting a D&D club at my college campus?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 7

File: 1465779763259-1.png (190KB, 819x819px) Image search: [Google]
1465779763259-1.png
190KB, 819x819px
How would I go about starting a D&D club at my college campus?

I know that it needs some form of extracurricular/developmental spin on it to make seem beneficial to the school, but I figure if the anime club can maintain it's "cultural appreciation" stance when it's just a bunch of nerds sitting in a dark room watching cartoons, then a D&D club with a bunch of nerds sitting in a dark room rolling dice could be construed as "team skill building, leadership and public speaking skills, and possibly quick mathematical problem solving", although I could probably use some help with this.

What else would I need to consider when starting up a club as niche as TTRPG?
>>
I'm surprised there isn't already a RPG club.
>>
>>49850755
Yeah sadly not. We have a combination anime/video gaming club, but nothing for tabletop games.
>>
File: 1476755596702.jpg (77KB, 827x528px) Image search: [Google]
1476755596702.jpg
77KB, 827x528px
>>49850766
>Anime/Video gaming club

I mean I get that a TTRPG club wouldn't be much better but at least at the one on my campus we're neckbeards that understand common decency. Every anime/video game club I've come across has been like a containment club for the assholes you don't want to be around.

Anyways besides obviously D&D, dunno if foods going to be something you wanna deal with.

Is this going to be geared towards getting newer people into the hobby, or people already into tabletop. Because if it's the latter, you might wanna make sure you know people who are interested in the first place.
>>
>>49850766
When I started a club, the first thing I did was just talk to the people in charge of organizing clubs, and they gave me all the information I needed, including what specific hurdles I needed to get over.

Ultimately, we were an "informal" club in our first year, with no budget and we even needed a professor to vouch for and observe the club. But, we had a classroom to play in and were allowed to advertise our club.

Sadly, that was my senior year, but one of the juniors in my club became the next president and continued it, in the hopes of it eventually becoming a formal club.

It's been a while, and I just checked the website. Sadly, it's completely gone, but at least it's nice to see that every single minority group has their own club.
>>
>>49850911
I figured it would be an inbetween of teaching new players D&D and having more experienced people around who, like me, don't have a reliable outlet available for this hobby (lack of players, incompatible schedules, roll20 campaigns always falling apart by the 3rd game).
>>
File: 24932_320.jpg (21KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
24932_320.jpg
21KB, 320x240px
>>49848120
tell them the truth, that it is either dnd and magic in safe confines of the college or poker with loansharks in the backroom of a stripclub, comon man traditonal games are like the methadone clinic of dice junkies.

why setting up a game club is a public service so it is.
>>
>>49850755
>>49850766

Nice dubs. And, a lot of colleges don't have D&D clubs, because most people just play with their friends. Organized play, like AL, is generally a cesspit for those who can't find another game.

>>49850929
>every single minority group has their own club.

What? So like a nigger club? What do they all do, sit around and talk about being niggers? Would probably devolve into a drug-dealing den in a few meetings. Nice to know my tax dollars are going toward this.
>>
>>49851670
Basically. We have all these clubs:

>Native American/American Indian/Alaskan Native
>Blacks
>Jewish (they have two different clubs for jews)
>Hawaii and Tahiti
>Mexico
>French
>Germans
>Indian
>Filipinos
>Latino
>LGBTQIA
>>
When I set up a club with some buddies at my college, we just stated that we were going to create an accepting community environment by playing games.

This did have the downside that we ended up having about half the club be socially challenged, but honestly, with the exception of two jerks (who were challenged, but just plain jerks on top of it) we had a really good time.

One of those jerks demanded to be a Kitsune bard, who managed to hide his katanas in the neck of his lute, and had a long backstory about being the victim of sexual assault. My friend has a dramatic reading of it she titled "The Saga of J."
>>
>>49852040
>LGBTQIA
At a certain point, it really starts to look like they're just trying to see how long they can get that thing. "Uh... what about Hermaphrodites, Cross-dressers, and Men Who Pee Sitting Down?" LGBTQIAHCMWPSD!
>>
File: 1460079354227.gif (952KB, 230x181px) Image search: [Google]
1460079354227.gif
952KB, 230x181px
>>49848120
Depending on what sort of school you're going to, TTRPG's aren't really that niche.

Also you can totally spin it as some leadership/public speaking/creative skills thing. That's what the president of my club did, but then again most clearly defined clubs get a pass cause it means people are less likely to do drugs.
>>
File: 99 berserkers.png (10KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
99 berserkers.png
10KB, 640x400px
>>49848120
>extracurricular/developmental spin on it to make seem beneficial to the school

Tell them that playing D&D and other tabletop RPGs involves collaborative storytelling, improv acting, team- and trust-building scenarios, the development of leadership and problem-solving skills, and resource management (especially in the form of money).

Teachers eat this shit up. The good ones do, at least. Watch out for the ones who think D&D is satanic. If you run into one of them, point out to them that the books explicitly discourage evil characters and punish immoral behaviour, and that demons and necromancers are meant to be used as enemies, not as playable character options.
>>
>>49852771
>>49852564
I've actually heard of folks who use their D&D/MMO experience on resumes by spinning it like this... and it works.
>>
>>49852950
I think that only works if you don't mention that you were pretending to be an elf wizard and fighting dragons. You have to word it like in the example.
>>
>>49852974
Yeah, that was why I posted the image, as a formatting example.
>>
>>49852950
>Gained necessary experience for character and skill development
That's fucking gold.
>>
>>49848120
>How would I go about starting a D&D club at my college campus?
Don't bother. It's a university, it's not hard to find people to play with without going through all the rigmarole of starting an official club.
>>
>>49853100
Do I just post something on a notice board? I feel like most of those flyers are just ignored as a whole.
>>
File: 1463510972312.png (376KB, 680x634px) Image search: [Google]
1463510972312.png
376KB, 680x634px
>>49852950
If you're gonna include TTRPG's on your resume you might as well just fucking lie.
>>
>>49853194
Everyone lies on their resumes, especially the people who say they don't.

For example, on my resume, it says I learn quickly and that I'm a team player.
>>
>>49853179
>Do I just post something on a notice board?
My DM tried one in the students union building, only ever got 2 responses. However when he put them in the residence halls he got over 20 within the week. That being said, I went to a very large university.
>>
>>49852950
This is what employment services at colleges say to do. You might scoff but it's better than nothing for the kids who actually have no true work/club experience, the experts wouldn't advise kids if it weren't.
>>
Alright, I'm going to post some advertisements on the notice boards. What should my eye catcher be?

"Do you like using swords and sorcery to destroy monsters for loot? Have you ever been frustrated by the limits of video games? Have you ever wanted to give roleplaying games like Dungeons and Dragons a shot? Message this number so we can get a gaming group together on campus!"

Fuck that sounds really shitty.....
>>
>>49854344
You don't have to advertise the concept of DnD, people either want to play or don't. Just say that you're a DM looking for players of any experience level.
>>
You could do what my DM does advertise it using the storytelling aspects and talk about it teaches socializing and problem solving skills, it is legit useful for people who want to get better at writing.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.