[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm currently binge-watching anime in a hospital for ideas

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 10

File: image.jpg (717KB, 1500x1081px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
717KB, 1500x1081px
I'm currently binge-watching anime in a hospital for ideas to implement in my playgroup. Once I get out I'd like to run a RWBY-esque game which may or may not be set in the RWBY universe. Any ideas or recommendations for systems to run it with?
>>
>>49835433
I believe there is an unoficial system in existence. I also hear it is shit.

Have fun with that, and remember: Ozpin is best boy.
>>
>>49835433
Anima is absolutely fan-fucking-tastic for RWBY-styled campaigns. There's even rules for guns that turn into swords and vice-versa.

The only real flaw is that by default the tech level is just BARELY getting small firearms to any real usable fashion, so you're going to have to figure out your own rules for more modern guns.
>>
>>49836106
Pretty sure they have guns, it's just hidden by the big factions
>>
>>49835433
Depends on what you want to focus on. Could go with GURPS, M&M or HERO if you want to stat out everything, or, just to keep it heroics, Worlds in Peril could work as a PbtA option. On the narrative end of the scale there's Fate/ FAE. Could try high level Savage Worlds with some fan supplements (most notably, Savage Armory) as a sort of medium option. If you actually want some tactical teamwork based combat that's not as freeform as Fate, you could give it a go in 4e or Strike!. Hell, 3.PF with initiators/psionics/spheres (basically, all core classes banned, 3rd party only) could make it work, and sounds kinda fun.
>>
>>49835433
>binge-watching anime in a hospital
Dude just because assisted suicide is illegal doesn't mean it also has to be inhuman.
>>
I'm a filthy normie so I'll just suggest 5e DND+make transforming weapons OP to encourage their use. Just swap the names of shit around.
>>
>>49839572
5e is way too mundane for that shit.
>>
>>49839572
What the OP wants is a system where the characters are fairly regular people with a strong power. D&D is a poor choice because in there the character gets more powerful across the board as they level. I'd suggest a super hero RPG with point buy instead, like M&M or GURPS.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 470x470px
There's an unofficial RWBY system already. I would recommend NOT throwing the party along with the RWBY and JNPR during initiation. Also, your group has to have 4 people in it. Remember, weapon transformations don't need to make sense. In one episode some chick with a handbag has it transform into a dust minigun. Heck, pic related could transform into dual Uzis or a crossbow or whatever.
>>
>>49835433
>RWBY
so exactly the same recommendation as for generic shonen anime campaign.
>>
Legends of the Wulin would be my choice. It has the best system for high action combat in any RPG, ever, and it'd work well with only minimal adjustment.
>>
>>49841175
>There's an unofficial RWBY system already.

There's an unofficial system for about 90% of popular media, which is a weird coincidence considering that's the same percentage that those games end up being shit.
>>
>>49841175
Don't forget the dust Saxophone...
>>
M&M seems like it might be right, considering the Huntresses / Hunters are sorta low-powered superheroes. Not sure how fast paced that system is?
>>
>>49841430
It was a Trumpet.
>>
>>49835433
>anime
>RWBY

>>49836106
I hear Anima is unnecessarily clunky. Where does this sentiment come from?
>>
>>49841972
Probably from it being crunchy as shit % based system.

I honestly don't think it's good, but there seem to be some fans around.
>>
>>49835433
>RWBY-esque game
That's a KYS in my book, faget. If a bad CGI knock-off of a generally terrible genre is the best you can think of it's time for you to read a book written pre-2000.
>>
>>49841972
I've been running a RWBY-based campaign for a couple of years now. Anima definitely has what you need, although there's certainly a bit of a learning curve to start with since it's so crunch-heavy.
>>
>>49836106
Isn't anima too crunch-heavy OOC that it disrupts the flow of the game when every turn you end up rolling percentile dice a half dozen times and compare modifiers for each roll against shit?
>>
>>49837224
In-universe there are higher-tech guns since the implication is that Gaia is a post-apocalyptic world (possibly Earth, but it's never clear), but there's no stat blocks for the better guns used by the Illuminati and the like.
>>
File: Coco.Adel.full.1906613.jpg (569KB, 700x1190px) Image search: [Google]
Coco.Adel.full.1906613.jpg
569KB, 700x1190px
Best team coming through.
>>
>>49842791
Inexperienced players and players bad at math will slow the game down, but the combat formula is hella simplistic compared to shit like Shadowrun.

I will say that the game's MUCH more playable in a virtual environment with a dicebot. I don't recommend playing it IRL unless you're quick with your addition and subtraction, or keep a calculator handy.

The standard attack is probably the most crunch-heavy thing in the game, and the core rulebook's table is pretty intimidating, but once you realize there's a pattern it becomes pretty easy math and you rarely need to consult the table. If an experienced GM can't get the result of an attack in less than 60 seconds then there's weird shit going on or they need to swallow their pride and pull out a calculator.
>>
>>49842929
How about I skip all that and use a different system that doesn't require a graphing calculator to see if I hit the monster with my spear?
>>
>>49842978
>that doesn't require a graphing calculator
So what you're saying is that you can't perform simple multiplication without a graphing calculator?

What're schools teaching these days?
>>
>>49843927
Exaggeration. But yeah, if one round of combat boils down to:
>I roll to attack
>Type type type
>I do X damage and then according to the book I do this as well
>type type type type
>And this happens.
>Repeat for every player and enemy and every action.
Gets kinda tedious right?
>>
>>49843977
>according to the book
After a session or two there's no need to use the book. The chart follows a formula:
>( ( Attack - Defense ) - ( 10 * defender's AT ) ), round down to nearest 10 and make into a % value.
>Multiply that value by your Base Damage.
This shouldn't take you longer than 30 seconds, really. It's more complicated than D&D, yeah, but you're shooting for "Complicated, Showy Fight Mechanics" as an RPG.

Complication isn't bad.
>>
File: RWBY 2.14.16.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
RWBY 2.14.16.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49835433
There's a pretty solid fan RPG. Here, have it.
>>
>>49844066
>but you're shooting for "Complicated, Showy Fight Mechanics" as an RPG.

No he isn't?

At least there's no reason to make them complicated.

>Complication isn't bad.

It is when it's pointless.
>>
File: RWBY Naming.jpg (305KB, 600x998px) Image search: [Google]
RWBY Naming.jpg
305KB, 600x998px
>>49844093
Also, here, the creator made this for fans before he croaked.
>>
>>49844096
>RWBY
>not "Coplicated and Showy"
I don't think you've ever seen the source material OR played Anima.
>>
>>49844160
It's really not complicated in the sense that the details don't matter. Yeah there's like all this dust/aura/whatever nonsense, but when it comes down to it, the fights are pretty straightforward.

At the very least, I don't see what fucking benefit
>( ( Attack - Defense ) - ( 10 * defender's AT ) ), round down to nearest 10 and make into a % value.
>Multiply that value by your Base Damage.

Has over rolling attack to see if you hit, deal damage + apply effect.
>>
>>49844282
More points to balance with. D&D is straight up too simple as anything but the type of game it is designed to be.
>>
>>49844341
>More points to balance with.

To balance what?
>>
File: CsQIN6cWgAA8SG7.jpg (82KB, 680x968px) Image search: [Google]
CsQIN6cWgAA8SG7.jpg
82KB, 680x968px
How would you run a RWBY game? Set it at the same time as the series, but in a different part of the world? Or just sometime in the past?
>>
>>49844384
Combat, mainly. You can fine-tune an encounter as it happens by slightly adjusting one of the variables in the equation. Did your boss end up being too difficult for your players? You've got 3 different points (AT and the two defenses) to adjust to let your players deal damage. Enemy kicking the party's ass too hard? Dial down their Attack.

Frankly, though, if you need to ask then you need to learn to GM games that aren't D&D.
>>
>>49844530
You mean if you can't gauge your boss' power accurately because the system is an overcomplicated piece of crap, at least you can adjust ad hoc more easily on the fly since there are three stats to modify instead of... wait, actually, enemies in D&D also have multiple stats contribute to defenses. Still not seeing the advantage.
>>
>>49844588
It's just a different game, is all. It's got a different power scale and a different set of problems from D&D.
>>
>>49844732
I can see the problem, but I can't see the benefit.

Which is why I asked what the benefits are.

I don't know if you are >>49844530 or >>49844341, but after being that fucking condescending you should have something to show for it.
>>
>>49844790
The intent was not to be condescending, although I can definitely see where you'd get that.

D&D is factually a simple game compared to a lot of the stuff out there. It's not got a terribly deep customization system, you can identify what a player is going to be doing primarily based on their class and either their spell list (3.PF) or their subclass (5e), and there's not much wiggle room for players outside of their character's chosen role. D&D isn't all that great for running anything beyond the scope of its standard settings: Dark-Ages-style traditional western fantasy with some eastern elements and a generally low power scale. As a trade-off, the game is relatively simple to grasp and easy to pick up and play with minimal effort.

Anima benefits from having a higher power scale and a much broader range of abilities that the PC can pick up. The same character can have access to Psychic powers, Ki abilities, and Magic spells, all with minimal overlap. They also get access to utterly ridiculous abilities fairly early (you can start the game with an ability that lets you auto-Crit literally every melee attack, no powergaming required), and can tap into reality-shaping powers much earlier than in D&D. As a trade-off, gameplay has an initial difficulty curve and the combat system is absolutely daunting to new players.

They're different games. Anima has benefits and D&D has benefits, and they both have problems that plague them. OP asked for a game that would suit RWBY and I gave them one.
>>
>>49844916
Okay, look, I get what you are trying to say but you do understand that none of those benefits necessitate complicated mechanics, right?

I can have a lvl1 wizard-monk-psion (hybrid one, multiclass the other) in 4e too, and I don't have to deal with converting rolls into % and then multiplying with whatever every single attack roll.

You can also just change the setting/fluff (which, considering OP is playing in a setting that is neither 4e nor Anima is a given for both), and just start out in paragon for more crazyness off the bat.
>>
>>49844916
But if your system recommendation for RWBY (a fast-paced combat anime) is a clunky, slow, and dauntingly complicated system like Anima and they defend it with "it's better than D&D" you're the one in the wrong.
>>
OP here. Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look into the unofficial system since I like the faster combat mechanics so far. Now the thread can die.
>>
What we really need is a system that reflects Monty Oum's Style. Something you can use to run Dead Fantasy just as much as RWBY. Something that rewards crazy stunts and allows seamlessly synchronized team attacks.

Something that can do
>I kick him at Player B!
>I hit him in the gut as he flies towards me, then toss him to Player C!
>I elbow drop him

And have it all rolled as one attack that either succeeds or the enemy gets in control at some point in the combo.
>>
>>49841451
M&M's rythm entirely depends on how the GM and players fool around with their relative toughness and how much of a mucnhkin the players are.

It's piss easy to make characters borderline immortal and/or statted with a fuckton of broken powers. The first game of M&M should always be character creation backed by a shared knowledge of how you want the game to be. As such, battles can range from hilariously fast/rocket tag to slow brawl between brick walls.

Also speedsters are broken.
>>
File: 5165461645514.png (1MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
5165461645514.png
1MB, 1024x768px
>>49842872

You seem to be forgetting Jaune "Empty my nine on some felines" Arc
>>
>>49841451
That picture makes her look cute, but that chick was a cunt in the show.
>>
>>49844445

Same time period would definitely be doable, but I also think the show's given enough history that a DM with some imagination could create a good campaign out of the last two wars. Idea that I just got is that you set it in the past during a major war but you make sure that you never mention the Grimm, maybe the PCs are in the woods and someone talks about none of the animals being hostile, you get the idea. The (completely obvious) plot twist is that the Grimm were some sort of weapon that got out of control. Bonus points if the PCs end up responsible.
>>
>>49851352
Cool idea, although I think they said the Grimm had been around since as long as humans had.
>>
Do you guys thing that an alchemy based Semblance would work?
I've been toying around with the idea but haven't really had the time to flesh out the idea.
>>
>>49851447
That is incredibly ill-defined.
>>
>>49835433
Tavern Tales is pretty setting agnostic, and easily fluffed into a RWBY setting.

Also, great work triggering me with "RWBY is anime", made me realize I'm still a weeb.
>>
>>49852954

We're all weebs

We make fun of weebs and anime posters but in the end we are ones ourselves
>>
>>49844093
It's not a solid system at all, there are rampant trap options, and some options that are just hands down too good.
When I played it I ran around and basically stun locked everything to the point where the gm started house ruling that my stun attacks became less effective because otherwise I could waltz through most encounters.
>>
>>49853258
Taking 3.5 as a yardstick, it's solid alright.
All it takes for a fan-made RPG to be solid is not being incomprehensible.
>>
>>49854008
It's really not though. It's like somebody read 3.5, then heard that in narrative games you don't have to care about balance and actually statting out everything, and then made this mishmash sort of thing that is half rigid rules, half hand wave it.

Credit where credits due, it could work as an interesting base and as a resource doc for homebrewing in other systems.
>>
File: 71b6f9b6079d36f7c35b272234f1826f.png (735KB, 671x1100px) Image search: [Google]
71b6f9b6079d36f7c35b272234f1826f.png
735KB, 671x1100px
>>49835433
I'm doing it in 3.P atm, taking place in a concept based around the old kingdom of Mantle and its fall.
>Recharge Magic Variant.
>Spells cost x ammount of GP in dust or dust accessories per casting.
>As do any kind of spell, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability: Incarnum, Psionics, Shadowmagic, Truenaming, etc, all fall under this in some fashion or another with the cast scaling off of spell level.
>1st to 3rd level spells cost spell-level squared in GP worth of dust.
>4th to 6th level cost dust crystals equal to spell-level x 10 per casting.
>7th to 9th cost spell level x 10,000 dust gemstones, but those can be used 10 times before expending them entirely.
>Wounds and Vitality variants.

It's refluffed and adjusted a lot, but things are set up pretty well to see the majority of the demi-human races to a scarcity while lycanthropic diseases run rampant to facilitate the eventual faunus and hatred thereof.
>>
nah
>>
>>49835433
>RWBY
>anime

So I assume you're hospitalized due to severe brain damage?
>>
>>49856685
It's close enough for government but you can call it Texas Animes if you're really so offended by its association with literally everything that inspired it save the base mythology and fairy tale concepts.

>Kineticist (earth) using blade and whip mods for melee, blast mods for grenades, metal focus asap and Ride The Blast combo'd with Opening Volley Feat.
>Open-handed Stalker with exotic weapon proficiency and TWF.
>>
>>49835433
>GMing campain.
>It's RWBY.
Literally anything would be better. No disrespect to Montreak Oum, he was a great animator. But RWBY is literal crap.
Thread posts: 62
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.