[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

That feeling when a Minecraft mod has a better and more robust

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 4

File: Resize.jpg (286KB, 1560x1115px) Image search: [Google]
Resize.jpg
286KB, 1560x1115px
That feeling when a Minecraft mod has a better and more robust magic system than most RPGs
>>
>>49833668
I was literally thinking the same thing.
>>
>>49833668
It certainly did a good job at making Wands a central focus of being a WIZARD.

However, like most Minecraft mods, it basically assumed that you were going to create automated farms for every resource.
>>
>>49833668
I long ago decided I would never be surprised by the autism you can find in some minecraft mods
>>
>>49833668
what mod?
>>
>>49833817
To be fair, if you're not doing that you're barely playing Minecraft. And modded especially.

>>49834837
Thaumcraft. Fun times. To unlock advanced stuff you have to become insane so your character can comprehend the insanity of the far realms and thinks coming up with a ritual to access them is a good idea.
Unfortunately you also get attacked by mind spiders for being insane.
>>
>>49834805
Yeah. Making games is for fucking NERDS
>>
>>49833668
Thaumcraft is only a better magic system in the sense that it's better for the medium. Most ttrpgs would suffer from their magic system being built around micromanaging (40? 50?) types of essentia, wands with percentage efficiency and 6 pools of vis (sometimes with different efficiency for each), golem programming, et c. In an autism simulator like modded Minecraft, though, it's perfect.

Also, most game writers don't have azzy's level of turbo-autism. Seriously, what version is he on, and how many of those have been complete rewrites?
>>
>>49834970
I think they do a rewrite for every update, usually incorporating some new idea or changing shit they don't like anymore.
>>
>tfw setting up a nuclear reactor in my dworf mountain base

>tfw wiring AE2 to automate everything

Why are mods so fun
>>
>>49834991
Because vanilla is so boring. Also, that it allows you to customize the game to be just as interesting as you want it.
>>
>>49834970
>autism
>autism
>autism
Holy shit, we need more people like you. More FOOTBALL and cans of MONSTER, haha. Kick in the shit of all those fucked up assholes who use their fucking brain instead of their dicks.

Complicated and thoughtful magic systems are fucking autismos, D&D needs magic to explain why I'm awesome, not to make sense or have pictures or a fucking diagram
>>
>>49835079
thats not at all what he meant by autism and you (ought to) know it
>>
>>49834991
Do you have a good server? Trying to find something that isn't part of a stupidly large "network" for whatever reason and actually has a reasonably sized consistent player base is impossible.
>>
>>49835329
I play solo mostly but I always wanted to host a small 2-3 person infinity pack at some point. No real friends to do with with hamachi
>>
>>49834991
Mods are pretty much the only reason I got back in during 1.7, and they might drag me back now, seeing as Botania isn't as dead as I thought it was and that's the main mod I bother using, partially for the use and partially because it has fantastic aesthetics. I've used it as inspiration for what high-level neutral casters' lairs might look like, especially for higher-int druids. The image of reagents being transported through motes of light throughout a tower at the word of the designer is fantastic.
>>
>>49835079
>all this autism
Jesus, chill your dongpucks, sperglord. Have a brew or something.
>>
>>49835495
I keep hoping someone will release an optional bolt on mod for Botanist that lets you use fucking passive flowers again.

Nobody cares about nine tenths of production flowers, Vazkii. We just want the light, lava, fire and water ones.
I mean when was the last time you ever saw someone making a food, leaf or cake based mana setup? It's not fun, it's not botanical in theme to hook up factories and it's not even a very good source of mana. There's just no incentive.
>>
>>49835660
Theres a config to stop passive gen flowers from withering away after 1 weem
>>
>>49835687
Week** fuggin phone
>>
>>49835495
Botania is AWFUL. The aesthetics want grass and flowers, but the mechanics mean you are going to build an assembly mill no matter what
>>
>>49835687
It's never enabled though.
I miss my circle fields of daybloom. I miss my hydroangea towers. I had such wonderful towers.

Real shame though as some of the items are bloody amazing. The Ring of the Aesir man. Best bauble ever.

>>49835741
I remember someone mentioning that whenever you make anything with Botania, the actual botania part is the least impressive part of the build. It's the tech you put together to make it work.
>>
>>49833668
There is no benefit to having a complex magic system in an RPG. Just autism simulators.
>>
>>49836039
The only thing that Botania has over Thaumcraft, except for people who prefer to hunch over a runic altar, is enabling the "drops" of random mobs, which effectively turns any villager into an emerald farm, and and the Alchemizer, or whatever the block that goes under the mana pool and lets you turn one thing into another en masse.

Other than that and the super late game rando treasures, I just don't see value over Thaumcraft
>>
>>49836158
Baubles, armor, repairing tools.. honestly I find , Botania items to be amazing. Aesir is just incredible with permanent +10 hearts, strength and resistance. You can hold ridiculous quantities of a single itemin an ender thingy. Useful for mining as it grabs it out of your inventory, eg cobble.

It's just a shame they're shackled to the oants on pants on head retarded mana generation system. Also runes. Fuck runes.

Also fuck the new eye of the flügel. Used to be you could store 12 teleport destinations in it. Now it's one, and it makes the wings from "pretty shit" to "sort of shit".
Old wings were fine. Were always fine. Stop 'improving' your mod Vazkii.
>>
>>49836288
>>49836158
Welp, since it's a minecraft thread, I wanna ask about mods, because I never used them:
What is the best mods for a Minecraft? I heard about Industial or something but I suspect there is much, much more.
>>
>>49833668
Isn't that pretty much ripped from Ars Magica?
>>
>>49838666
Just download one of the premade mod packs out there. Much easier.
>>
>>49839060
What mod pack do you use then?
>>
>>49839267
It's been two years since I last played, so what I know is massively out of date. Assuming not much has changed you should look up the Feed the Beast launcher. It manages a variety of mod packs with varying levels of complexity. You'll have to do some research yourself to see which one serves your interests.
>>
>>49833668

For being what the mod is named after, the actual thaumaturgy (wand magic) mechanics are pretty lackluster, even with addons. They really don't scale well at all going into late game, especially compared to Ars Magica and Ticon, and the variety of foci is painfully limited compared to the number of effects you can achieve with Ars.

I love the fluff of TC though. Mixing essentia for alchemy, finding and tapping nodes, going mad from forbidden research, oh, baby. If someone adapted it to tabletop in a way that wasn't convoluted as fuck, I'd be sold.
>>
>>49835079
This is far, far, far more cringey than the post it was responding to. Either the poster is a master ruseman, or an edgy 14 year old who's still angry that he's bad at sports.
>>
>>49834970
Version 6 is being worked on, rewrite 3 i think. I like it, its improvement really.

But that being said, it could be tweaked in a way to allow for a pure magic campaign where you can actually design your own spells during said campaign.

That'd be neat.
>>
>>49833668
now if only there was a good vidya-related texture pack so I can have my relatively industrialized magic alongside my ancient scifi ruins.

The ones I liked date back to 1.3-1.4
>>
>>49838666
Tinker's Construct is one of the easier mods to understand that really expands your gameplay.

Feed The Beast makes adding mods SO MUCH easier, whether it's using the base modpacks they provide or adding more to those defaults.
>>
>>49835079

lol shut up
>>
>>49839267
FTB infinity is a well known pack that has pretty much everything you would want in a big modpack. just download the original ftb launcher to grab it.
>>
>>49836288
Baubles, armor, repairing tools... If only Thaumcraft had all those and more... OH WAIT

>>49839440
You know about the Focus Manipulator, that upgrades wants, right? The Thaumic Tinkerer mod upgrades a LOT of endgame content too.

>>49839707
Morrowind proved why that is never a good idea.

>>49840114
FTB is like 100s of mods though
>>
>>49840775
>FTB is like 100s of mods though
what's your point? I specifically mentioned Tinker's Construct if anon was looking for a single mod and keep things from getting too complicated.
>>
>>49840775
Thaumcraft items are a pain to get a hold of and you know it. Botanist ones are far easier and have comparable utility.
Thaumcraft Tinker gives Thaumcraft stuff that just blows botania items out the water of course, but well.. making a set of robes of the stratosphere or even just plain ichorcloth is going to take a lot of time and resources.
And until then Terrasteel can serve you well.

Botania is best for early game magic items and late game baubles. As well as a few cheaper alternatives. Botania spellbinding cloth is easier to make than the Thaumcraft version for instance.

Honestly it's best jf you're willing to combine the two. Dreamwood wands and scepters are bloody amazing if only for their mana to vis ability.No need to bother with node manipulation at all!

>>49840749
I personally don't like the lack of Mekanism, their factory machines are some of my favourites, MFR just can't compare to an upgraded Elite factory.
>>
>>49840862
Yea mekanism is great but the only problem with that mod is how cheap/easy the digital miner is. though you can fix that by changing the recipe in minetweak I think it was.
>>
>>49838706
Ars Magica as in "The Roleplaying Game of Myth and Magic" Ars Magica or the MC Mod Ars Magica?

Because Thaumcraft is inspired by the RPG and started independently at around the same time as the Mod Ars Magica which is trying to copy the RPG as faithfully as possible into Minecraft
>>
>>49840796
>terrasteel
well consider me triggered
Resource gathering and production in Thaumcraft is at least interesting. Terrasteel is literally "HAVE LOTS OF POWER. THROW STUFF ON GROUND. DO THIS 40 TIMES"

Its a shitty factory mod that uses flower power as an aesthetic.

I stopped having problems with node manipulation once I realized that finding a good node and Energizing it should be in the first quarter of my play.
>>
>>49840911
Did Ars Magica get updated for 1.7? last i've heard is that the mod maker stopped updating
>>
File: ayy lmaooooo.png (87KB, 329x541px) Image search: [Google]
ayy lmaooooo.png
87KB, 329x541px
>Tfw AE2 let's me embrace my inner autism
>>
>>49840920
Curse says it's Updated
>>
>>49840915
I'm guessing you didn't intend to link me?
>>
>>49840929
Wait, when and where did you get 4k ethereal essence?
>>
>>49840949
I used ender IO spawners for wisps which funny enough is broken and only costs 100 RF/T with the highest upgrade since the maker didn't balance it around thaumcraft.
>>
>>49840929
what are you even going to DO with 9000 bread?
>>
>>49840971
make toast sandwiches
>>
>>49840961
Makes sense.
Now I just need a use for the stuff.

>>49840977
Toast sandwiches literally OP. Why bother with any other food?
>>
>>49840990
it also works with the eldritch guardians as well if you are looking for the eye pieces
>>
>>49840990
>>49840977
Good modpacks have diminishing returns.
>>
>>49840998
>farming eldritch guardians
man, I never got to the insanity stuff before stopping(since it was still incomplete in compatibility with everything else)

but I tried fighting those things and I can't imagine why anyone would want to set up a spawner to summon hundreds of them.
>>
>>49841016
once you enchant your armor with runic shielding they are a breeze.
>>
>>49835329
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/49801467/#49840696_1
>>
>>49841047
that's the regenerating hp, right? That doesn't really stop them from just whacking you over and over.
>>
>>49841133
It's shielding that goes over your health before armor
>>
>>49841158
yeah. That didn't address my concern.
>>
>>49841174
To be fair, you don't fight them all at once. Or you use mass-fighting such as Chain Lightning wands or you set up an actual farm that kills them without your involvement.
>>
>>49841499
no, it's the farms that concern me, because I keep thinking "what if they break out"

Maybe it's because I don't have enough Taint in my brain yet.
>>
>>49841517
They don't mess with blocks. The bigger problem is if you try to "naturally" farm them when they come out of the obelisks... I built my base around one before I knew...
>>
File: 1403851983069.gif (20KB, 482x482px) Image search: [Google]
1403851983069.gif
20KB, 482x482px
>>49833668
I really like the idea of "component" magic, or magic with lots "elements"

Do you know of any more?
>>
>>49833817
Automation is the key to 70% of modded minecraft!
>>
>>49836158
I prefer the mechanics. More focused on versatile components that can be hooked together into Vanilla-style redstone contraptions. It's not about being more powerful, but more interesting.

Botania only really comes into its own when played more-or-less alone, so its otherwise-underpowered features get a chance to shine.
>>
>>49841674
I want to believe you, I tried to be the Botania Guru on a server I was on, but all that redstone stuff and mana-pools-on-rails stuff seemed so completely pointless. I never needed to move mana around like that, or set up triple switch mana spreader lens bursts or crap, it just felt like it wanted to give me a billion tools to do maybe 20 things.
>>
>>49841674
And yes, it is fundamentally a tech mod with magical aesthetics, but it's hard to find real tech mods these days. Almost everything out there is just "here's a bunch of retextured furnaces we've renamed "compressor", "mixer", etc; plumb them together with pipes to make more items you can use to make more factories you can use to make more items."

The only thing that's long-term fun, and isn't just basically Cookie Clicker, is actually building stuff- either contraptions or aesthetic builds. And if all you have is inflexible resource processors and smart does-it-for-you logistical systems, there's nothing interesting in building more systems with them.

Botania stuff is more like pistons, hoppers, droppers, repeaters - useful as part of the redstone arsenal for building lots and lots of contraptions, and even the resource processors are actually interesting to automate with vanilla methods.

(Did you know you can build a full quarry with only vanilla redstone and Botania components?)

And it adds a shitload of aesthetic blocks, so it also is useful for building.
>>
>tfw no friends to play modded coop with and construct a magical city in the skies with ars magica 2 /botania/thaumcraft/witchery
>>
>>49841750
I really wish there were some better roleplay mods. Like smoke should be a thing. better NPCs should be a thing. Temperature should be a thing.
>>
>>49841101
I thought that was vanilla with a couple plugins, not true modded?

Wish Resonant Rise was still popular.
>>
>>49841697
>all that redstone stuff [...] seemed so completely pointless.

Are you kidding? I mean, unless you find vanilla redstone mostly pointless.
>>
>>49841767
>Temperature should be a thing.
Enviromine

> better NPCs should be a thing
Milleniare used to do that; but died a while back.
Ancient Warfare 2
CustomNPCs
>>
>>49841803
I would love to see a mod where you could "train" villagers to do things, rather than simply make a superblock that does everything. Want to make a quarry? Then get 15 villagers and give them a pickaxe. You want to make a forge? Get a blacksmith.
>>
>>49840775
We'll FTB has many mod packs you can choose from. So while some will be 50-100+, some are specifically made to have very few. Plus the packs are all really well put together so that no conflicts occur.
>>
>>49841838
That's what Ancient Warfare does, mostly. There's still a quarry block, but it needs to be operated by one or more NPCs with picks.
>>
A tg modded server would be so fun

>dwarf fortresd mountain base
>>
>>49833668
qualify better and robust
>>
>>49841561
DSA Schwertmeister (german)
each spell was composed of 3 rune stones, you pick 3 in your possession and cast spells that way - one for source, one for medium and one for target. the more runestones you possess, the more devastating combos are possible. (though casting is still limited by spell points and spell cost.)
>>
>>49843843
>Our magic is good because its old, strange, complicated, and only follows its own rules, ignoring the rest of the game and the rest of physics.
>Our magic is thematic, understandable, coherent, and works to be in tune with the world and the game.

Hmmmm.

Hmmm.

Hmm.

I think I know which one is a good choice, what about you?
>>
>>49833668
Ars magica > Thaumcraft
>>
>>49844452
...including Thaumic Tinker? One day I will actually make an awakened ichorium pickaxe, I swear.
And then I will mine all the bedrock I fucking like.
>>
>>49844706
As someone who has done it, it's actually not that great. When you dig up bedrock, it doesn't give it to you; it just opens up a portal to another dimension that is nothing but max brightness, stone, and ore deposits. It's useful for base materials, but nothing to really justify the amount of work spent to get the pick in the first place.
>>
>>49844706
>>49844706
Ive made the armor and awakened tools and it's pretty easy

Armor is op so I don't use it
>>
>>49844443
I pick door A
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.