[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/CofD/ &/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 309
Thread images: 26

File: were.jpg (147KB, 958x1200px) Image search: [Google]
were.jpg
147KB, 958x1200px
Previous Thread: >>49776000
>Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/7sSgGVPH
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/%5BWtF%5DThe_Pack.PDF
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a1kpjrm41yzozkq/V20_Ghouls_%26_Revenants.pdf

>Latest News
http://theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-september-2016/

Promethean 2e is out
>richfags
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/189395/Promethean-the-Created-2nd-Edition?manufacturers_id=4261&language=en&affiliate_id=498510

>Mage 2e Errata
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxveHUKxwBU9UUZ4UjZJdEhIM2c/view?usp=sharing
>new mega
https://mega.nz/#F!rFIDxRRK!IEzkLlroRoPwmDqtxKRMsw

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
http://theonyxpath.com/deja-vu-all-over-again-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question
how do you interpret some of the more obscure pieces of the lore? (like what really killed Lincoln? or what are the Rmoahals? etc....)
>>
>>49813486
Jesus was a Purified, possibly the first Purified
>>
How would you explain CofD to someone who's never heard of it?
>>
>>49813505
The first? Not even close. There were Asian monks becoming purified a good thousand years before Jesus was even a twinkle in his dad's eye.
>>
>>49813535
Like they do in the book - it's the real world, just darker. Vampires, werewolves, mages, these things and many more exist. People know or suspect, but ignore it and convince themselves otherwise to get by. Most of them do anyway....
>>
I feel like Nicholas Barbon would be a great $ynidcate character in Mage: the Ascension. https://youtu.be/GKtNuzakzMA

Also, running a Mage came set in Yellowstone National Park right now. Anyone else run games in unique IRL settings?
>>
>>49813535
'It is a modern urban fantasy rpg in a world where everything that goes bump in the night, could be a real monster'

That's how I usually do it.
>>
>>49813535
Gay werewolves.
>>
>>49813535
It's basically Buffy i f there was no Slayer
>>
>>49813535

Spooky things are real, you might just be one.
>>
So my first session of a serious WoD game was awesome. Ran with a Vampire and a werebear, I was a Mage who hadn't awakened yet. My character is a mechanic that found a motorcycle manual with weird tricks written in the margins, and he used them to finish working on his pet project motorcycle. After he finished, he went out, got drunk, went riding again and got into an accident. He 'woke up' in the Supernal realm, in a giant junkyard filled with machinery and technology both ancient and new. He walked through it and found a bridge over the river Styx guarded by a dire wold with a skull head. After trying to fight it with a makeshift shield and piece of rebar, he went back, fashioned a bulldozer out of an old schoolbus, and ran over the demon dog. Proceeded to enter the Tower, carved his name onto the wall, and woke up with a lead coin in his pocket, etched with Atlantean runes.

I thought it was pretty kickass and I can't wait for next session.
>>
>>49814659
>Mage

Enjoy steamrolling everything while the other characters look on in disgust and boredom

You are now playing D&D 3.5
>>
>>49814659

>Weird Tricks

"When kicking a wheelie while wielding your laser shotgun, be sure to..."
>>
>>49814683
How so? Vampires pretty easily get to deal Aggravated damage with a physical build, or a social build can easily Majesty up in my business. What can I do that's so amazing compared to them?
>>
>>49814751
I'm not sure what that reference is. I can make a laser shotgun? I mean I know I'm a Moros but I can make a lasergun?
>>
>>49814659
Wait. A crossover that includes Changing Breeds is considered SERIOUS?
>>
>>49814785
You need to get the fiction anthology.

Changing Breeds is good now
>>
>>49814803
No. One good story (that's mostly about Beast anyhow) doesn't redeem the shitty mechanics, the "humans are good, nature is bad"-theme, furry-baiting, and over-all smugness of Changing Breeds.

That said, I DO want a new Changing Breeds-style book. Because I like the idea of other kinds of shape shifters.
>>
>>49814765

Zeno was a major NPC in the Mage the Awakening 1e core, and his first appearance was popping a wheelie and blasting an Acamoth away with a laser shotgun. His second was popping a wheeling and drawing a card.

It's possible. Three dots in Matter, and I wanna say three dots in Forces will do the trick.
>>
>>49814863
Yeah, but his style of wizardry is all about being zany.
>>
>>49814785
The werebear could have been built from War Against the Pure's rules.
>>
>>49814785
I'm brand new to all this. Why would it not be serious? You can make any kind of character with a serious personality and backstory, and in a serious plot.

>>49814863
Well then, that's kind of awesome. One of my huge goals is to enchant my motorcycle with the ability to travel through time and space when it hits 88 MPH. Like a cross between the TARDIS and a DeLorean.
>>
>>49814965
>travel through time and space

What are your arcana dots?
>>
>>49814965
>I'm brand new to all this. Why would it not be serious? You can make any kind of character with a serious personality and backstory, and in a serious plot.

Crossovers tend to be rather contrived in their make-up, and Changing Breeds is widely regarded as one of the worst books in the entire nWoD line.
>>
>>49815003
CoFD/NWoD was made out the box to be more crossover friendly dude, don't poison his water hole with your oWoD baggage.
>>
>>49815015
No. It was made out of the box to be consistent. HUGE difference.

It wasn't until the line started to tank that OPP decided to pander to the cross-over people by making Beast, and now planning the Crossover book.
>>
>>49815015
Perhaps, but that doesn't stop Changing Breeds being terrible
>>
>>49813565
So, similar to The Secret World?
I've always liked that setting.
>>
>>49814965

Crossovers are a bit notorious for being really gonzo. They don't have to be, of course, but things can get pretty out of control without the hand of a careful ST.

I personally like crossovers, myself.

As for your motorcycle, it's more than possible but you're going to need some more Arcana dots. Time and Space, of course, but you might also need a dot or two of Fate for the speed trigger. At least I think that's right, can someone confirm?
>>
>>49814989
Well right now I only have Matter 3, Death 2 and Spirit 1. Brand new character. To be fair our Storyteller gave us each a bit more skill dots, one extra dot in each Attribute category, and more Merit dots. I somewhat want to end up as a generalist, or even a Forgemaster is possible.
>>
File: Is This Nigga Serious.jpg (51KB, 625x390px) Image search: [Google]
Is This Nigga Serious.jpg
51KB, 625x390px
>>49815061
>Matter 3, Death 2 and Spirit 1
>>
>>49815046

Yeah. A big reason I got interested in playing Secret World and did the beta was because I was jonesing for a WoD/CofD MMO and World of Darkness seemed so far away.

Eight years of waiting for that fucking MMO, all for nothing.
>>
File: Player plans.png (327KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
Player plans.png
327KB, 1280x1280px
I'm a ST for a game of Hunter: The Vigil, and my two lovely players came to me with a weird concept.

Essentially, one of them wants to be a bit like Otacon, guiding their friend through this horrible world of monsters with an earpiece/radio thing. The other is going to be reasonably charismatic and strong, with average intelligence.

How do I give threats to this 'otacon' player? They're an excellent computer hacker and can handle the Intelligence skills with ease. They stay on the backline, providing advice, fixing/creating equipment, stuff like that.
>>
>>49815071

You talking shit about matter? Better not be talking shit about Matter.
>>
File: Computer Bomb.jpg (103KB, 956x813px) Image search: [Google]
Computer Bomb.jpg
103KB, 956x813px
>>49815092
>How do I give threats to this 'otacon' player?
>>
>>49815092
Do what they did with actual Otacon and force him into the fray with cyborg ninjas and bombing his incontinent sister
>>
>>49815071
What's wrong with those? I'm a Moros with a specialty in making things and communing with the dead in various forms.

>>49815097
He better not be. Jumping my bus over the river Styx could be some wicked metal album art.
>>
>>49815075
The mystery quests were pretty cool, even if I did just google half of them. I imagine players in a TT RPG might just get frustrated by that sort of challenge though..
>>
>>49815195
>What's wrong with those?

>want to travel through time and space
>have neither Time nor Space
>>
Did they ever fix beast? Never followed up on that shit, do we know what they do now?
>>
>>49815287
Well duh, he's a Moros, and he's a brand new character. I wouldn't expect to be able to do it immediately. That's what experience points are for.
>>
What would you build a Proximi family around /tg/ if you had the chance and the ST was lenient.
>>
>>49813486
http://pastebin.com/u/Aspel You forgot something
>>
>>49815061
>>49815071
>>49815195
>Moros
>spirit
Can out-of-the-box characters take dots in their inferior arcana?
>>
>>49815682
No one cares about your stalker tendencies.
>>
>>49815812
Why won't you ever take the hint?
>>
Anyone come up with their own Changeling Court ideas and care to share?
>>
>>49814803
>Changing Breeds is good now

Just because Dave managed to make a changing breed interesting with a beast and mage in crossover short stort doesn't not in any wat absolve Changing Breeds of it myriad deficiencies.
>>
>>49815788
Yeah, youre just capped at 2 dots
>>
>>49815788
Not in 2e. It specifically mentions that you can't.
>>
>>49815836
That's not me. But you don't seem to realize that I don't actually care. It bothers me that you're obsessing over me, not that people know I'm a pervert. I've not exactly made it a secret that I typefuck and hang out on F-list (the spoilering is a joke, just like when I say people are triggered). You're just annoying everyone because you know there'll be backlash at me.

>>49815788
No. Not in 2e.
>>
>>49815788
>>49815868
>>49815877
>>49816044

If it matters, we're playing first edition, according to my Storyteller. I dunno the difference.
>>
>>49816094
Then I pity you.
>>
>>49816044
The thread doesn't want you, all you bring about is bitching. Nobody here gives a shit about gender politics.
>>
>>49816044
Gimme your F-list account.
>>
>>49816107
Why? I'm brand new. What's the big difference?
>>
>>49816164
Because you play in a game with 1e mages.
A mage with Gnosis 5 and Matter 5 can with relative ease transmute all matter in the known universe to pure carbon.
>>
>>49816164
Well, better than going from 2e to 1e. If you start 1e, you might hate things. It's a good system, but not a great system. 2e has flaws as well, but it's leaps and bounds ahead.

>>49816147
I don't actually RP, I just hang around and shoot the shit and occasionally make WoD characters. If you want profiles, check >>>/soc/24428756

>>49816233
Things that start with "five dots in a power stat" aren't really "relative ease". I also don't think spell factors can get that high, though ritual casting was definitely borked without the ST to say "and then you pass out from starvation".
>>
>>49816288
>Things that start with "five dots in a power stat" aren't really "relative ease". I also don't think spell factors can get that high, though ritual casting was definitely borked without the ST to say "and then you pass out from starvation".

They most certainly can. Spell factors in the 100's are far from impossible. Check where that gets you with Advanced Scale.
>>
>>49816307
I meant that you have to GET there first. And really, going passed Gnosis 3 is increasingly unnecessary, due to how fucking expensive power stat was in 1e. I mean, it's 120xp to get there.
>>
>>49814752
Sweet child you're in for a wild ride.
>>
>>49816558
How so? Please, I don't like being ignorant, and my Storyteller has made it clear he's rewarding creative ideas and play.
>>
>>49816392
Yeah. But that's why you always make sure to start with your Power Stat in 3. It is always worth it XP-wise.
>>
>>49816652
It also means you have no Merits, which are also pretty useful.
>>
>>49816694
Not nearly as useful as Gnosis 3.

Generally speaking, 6 dots into boosting Gnosis, 1 dot into Order Status and you are set.
>>
>>49816164
1e Mage is good. Just play with the knowledge that you're fully capable of breaking game balance over your knee, and that the moment you do that the game will forever stop being fun, so never do it.

That and it'll start an arms race with your ST that you will NEVER WIN.
>>
>>49816694
You buy those in-game, for far cheaper than the Gnosis was.

Buying up 6 merit dots, even in the most expensive configuration, is 32 XP total. Or, if those are all one-dot merits, it could go as low as 12. Typically it's somewhere in-between.

Buying the second and third dot of Gnosis is 40.
>>
>>49816044
>>>/d/
>>
>>49815092
The god-machine can do some pretty crazy shit with technology, like a laptop for example. Or if the GM isnt in your setting, just say its a technology spirit or something
>>
is there something like vicissitude in VtR?

has anyone played with blood potency 6+ feeding restrictions? how did you manage?
>>
>>49816804
>>49816990
I'll take the merits, usually. You can last with low Gnosis, but it won't help you get XP if you're useless. It's not about the total XP cost, it's about getting the XP to begin with. Hell, my character's biggest trick--and the one that kept him alive the most--was using Aikido 3 and Suppress Other's Life. Yeah, having Gnosis 3 is good, but I'll take the more expensive route to make sure I can actually fill out my character sheet.

Plus I hate that minmaxy "I knew this all along but couldn't buy it because the system is garbage" crap that the game makes you do.

>>49817077
>Implying this will work
>>
>>49816643
What's your path and starting arcana/gnosis?
>>
can you give me some good theories on the god-machine's purpose?
>>
>>49816976
How do you break the game? I don't actually wanna do that because I'm playing WoD for the plot anyhow, but still curious.

>>49817329
Moros, Matter 3, Death 2, Spirit 1. From what I understand I'll likely need to take a dip in everything, but particularly Prime for making magic items, and one of Forces/Space/Time.
>>
>>49817429
>Moros, Matter 3, Death 2, Spirit 1

Mages cannot takes any dots in their Inferior Arcana at character creation (Mage 2e, p.80).

A Moros cannot start with any dots in Spirit.
>>
>>>/his/1833385
What would you describe this anon as? He sounds like some sort of Akashic/VA combo.
>>
>>49817429
Moros normal can't start with spirit unless you're using some sort of house rule. I'd actually recommend against picking spirit as your third especially if your interest is in crafting magical items. Forces or Prime would be a better option.
>>
>>49817314
>>>/d/
>>
So how much of the 'lol I turn him into a lawnchair', 'Always have the solution to any given problem given preptime' stuff is actual 2e Mage, and how much is fanon/hyperbole/player wank/leftovers from earlier editions?

Is a Vampire, Werewolf, or Promethean gets into a straight-up slugfest with a Mage, do they have any chance of success?
>>
>>49817429
With matter 3 it's possible to make a bb-gun that shoots flaming chain-saws.
>>
>>49817516
Most of it.

Mages are really powerful but preptime is hard and most other splats have ways to seriously fuck up any plans mages come up with.

>Is a Vampire, Werewolf, or Promethean gets into a straight-up slugfest with a Mage, do they have any chance of success?
Absolutely.
>>
>>49817526
You need a lot more than Matter 3.
>>
>>49817516
White-room battles are a can of worms you don't want to open.

That being said a Mage is spectacularly more powerful with prep time, knowledge, and fore-thought. Especially if you have a cabal of them who know different arcana buffing each other until they're glowing with magic.

I've been in games where players were body slamming werewolves in war-form like it was wrestle mania.
>>
>>49817426

Being vast and inscrutable is sort of it's whole deal, so...

First off, it's suitably alien enough that it might not have any concept of 'Want' or 'goal'. It might be strange enough that we simply can't comprehend why it does why it does.

The simplest explanation is that it wants to expand and grow. Infrastructure is used to make more infrastructure, and that all feeds into making the God Machine more than it already is.
>>
>>49817575
Not really, Wonderful Machine combining a flamethrower, chainsaw, and bb-gun.
>>
>>49817516
>Is a Vampire, Werewolf, or Promethean gets into a straight-up slugfest with a Mage, do they have any chance of success?

With the exception of masters and powerful adepts, most mages will not win one-on-one, straight-up combat with a vampire or werewolf.

However, most mages are not so foolish as to engage in melee combat with such monsters. The Arcana provide more than ample means of defense and escape (and devastating ranged attacks that don't apply Defense). Thereafter, with time to prepare, most mages can easily track and dispatch their assailants with extreme prejudice.

When attacking a mage, if at all possible, it is prudent to attack by surprise (a difficult prospect against many mages), when they're alone, in numbers, and with overwhelming force. If the mage survives the initial assault, the attacker's chances of long-term survival demonstrably diminish.

Also note that mages are mostly human and social creatures with institutions designed for mutual defense. Although a monster might be able to kill an individual mage, they best be prepared for the inevitable retaliation by the mage's cabal or consilium (or pylon or ministry).
>>
>>49817580
>White-room battles are a can of worms you don't want to open.

I'm not looking for straight white-room combat analysis, I just didn't want to hear a cop-out of 'Well if you ambush them they're just as weak as normal humans'.

Yes, you can do the whole
>“I’d use a rifle at a thousand yards. The bullet outruns its own sonic boom, and you’d never even hear the shot. You’d be dead before you realized what happened.”
thing, but I feel like very rarely is 'And then I murder the bad guy in their sleep' narratively satisfying. I've only ever seen 'Jump the big-bad on the toilet when he can't defend himself' used in parodies.
>>
>>49817516
>do they have any chance of success?
Without a fucking doubt.
Of course, the Mage likely has some ludicrous tricks up his sleeve, but it's not a sure thing.
>>
>>49817575
That's well within the scope of "Wonderful Machine" especially if he learned the rote.
>>
>>49817516
I don't think anyone's said you can do a vampire lawnchair in Awakening 2e.
It is a literal power in M20, though. Most of the write up is spent talking about why it's a bad idea.

Yes. More than a chance.

>>49817661
I don't think that works the way you think it works.

>>49817580
>I've been in games where players were body slamming werewolves in war-form like it was wrestle mania.
How did they manage that?
>>
Can I get some help on some changeling courts? Specifically I need names, overly flowerly language is not one of my skills.
>>
>>49817685
1e extended action shenanigans.
>>
>>49817453
>>49817470
If it makes a difference, I've said previously in the thread that we're playing 1st ed. The Storyteller looked at my sheet and seemed cool with it.
>>
>>49817429
>How do you break the game? I don't actually wanna do that because I'm playing WoD for the plot anyhow, but still curious.
The easiest way to do it is by exploiting ritual casting, or ritual casting plus Hung Spells to keep a (for example) 100-potency Perfect Timing spell that you activate when you whip out your gun and shoot somebody for 112 dice of damage.

Or use Shared Fate first to shoot one person for 112 dice of damage and then have 16 people all take the full amount of damage from that bullet simultaneously.

Another option is to use the Fate 4 spell that gives you Rote Action, and then use one of those Rote Actions to give yourself MORE Rote Actions, at which point you're rolling roughly 23 dice for anything you want to do.

Alternately, abuse Forge Godsend to become invincible.

Recursive Skill Mastery loops, cast using a Rote.
>>
>>49817558
>>49817580
>>49817663
>>49817671

So, basically, if you're another supernatural and you jump a Mage in an alley, you can probably kill them, EXCEPT that mages can set up trump cards to escape ambushes unless they are of the 'Killed before they can react at all' level of severity, and if they escape it plays into the 'Mages are good when fighting on their own terms' factor and their assailant is probably gonna die.

great.
>>
>>49817663
>Although a monster might be able to kill an individual mage, they best be prepared for the inevitable retaliation by the mage's cabal or consilium (or pylon or ministry).
Unless their local Consilium decides it's not worth starting a war with the local Vampire Court over some shithead Disciple who pissed off the wrong bloodsucker.

Killing a Mage isn't NECESSARILY going to kick off the White Council/Red Court Wizard/Vampire war from the Dresden Files, but it's a possibility. They have to weigh the downsides of chains of retaliation against the downsides of letting someone be seen as being able to kill a Mage and then not face reprisal.
>>
Why would a mage even run into a Vampire/Werewolf/Beast? Mixing games is a very bad idea.
>>
>>49817801
Mages also tend to be extremely paranoid. I run with the assumption that the supernatural community operates on the understanding of mutually assured destruction and tends to leave each other alone.
>>
>>49817846
>Why would a Mage even run into a Vampire/Werewolf/Beast?
Because Mages are addicted to mysteries, and automatically detect any non-surruptitious usage of Supernatural abilities with peripheral Mage Sight?
>>
>>49817822

Or more likely, the local Sentinel grabs a few adept buddies, easily finds and stakes the vampire, and leaves them to meet the dawn.

Is the local prince going to risk a war with mages over some idiot who attacked a mage.

In fact, it would be unsurprising if the local Prince punished or destroyed the assailant vampire as a show of good faith and to avoid a needless war.

One of the primary reasons for the social institutions of major supernaturals is not only defense, but to avoid unnecessary escalation.

Membership in good standing by major splats in their local political groups renders them fairly safe from supernatural and mundane interference. However, life is *really* dangerous and uncertain for lower tier supernaturals and (semi-)humans like psychics and cultists.
>>
>>49817918
Mixing games is a bad idea for everyone involved.
>>
>>49817957
>>49817846

>>49815015
>CoFD/NWoD was made out the box to be more crossover friendly dude, don't poison his water hole with your oWoD baggage.
>>
>>49817957
I don't disagree with that in terms of PCs, but when all PCs are Mages, having them interact with and investigate various other Supernaturals makes sense.
>>
>>49817957

OPP intends to "soon" release the Crossover Chronicle. Let's see if they're able to smooth over all the potential setting crossover problems without resorting to goofy mechanisms like Beast's Family.
>>
>>49817984

There's more than enough for mages to investigate without dealing with other major splats.

In fact, I would assume that creatures like vampires and werewolves have been so thoroughly studied over the centuries that they're not particularly interesting to most mages.
>>
>>49817957
>>49817978
>>49817918
While it's true that *playing* a game where the players are more than one (two at best) splats is difficult, there's absolutely zero reason you can't have a game where you deal with other supernaturals. Especially with simplified mechanics like those from Hunter, the CofD core, or even the suggestions from the Demon STG.

>>49818012
People study things that have been thoroughly studied all the time.
Nevermind that they're highly secretive.
>>
How come mages don't get much representation in WoD adaptations?
>>
>>49818094
The only things that have gotten adaptations are Vampire and the one Hunter game. I guess you could count that there was a Werewolf in Bloodlines.
>>
>>49818012
There is, but Mages don't discriminate.

And what's more, Mages learn through direct experience, not reading some dusty old book about some other Mage's experiences with "the hematophilic revenants of the night".
Telling a Mage about the Vampire's Beast gives no Beats.
But first-hand experiencing its effects, then attempting to influence it with Mind or Death? Sure.

Only thing to stop a Mage from interacting with another Supernatural is the GM not wanting that to happen, and either saying they don't exist, or saying coincidentally, they don't meet.
>>
>>49818094
Because how the hell do you convert Creative Thaumaturgy into something useful in video game form?
>>
>>49817984
But then that implies a level of cohesion that just doesn't work. Or you get weird things from oWoD that were just awful; like shapeshifting wizards and so on.

I hated that most of all.
>>
>>49818094
Not as mainstream relatable, and harder to get across to new people in a short timeframe.
>>
>>49817329
See
>>49815061
He's playing a Moros, and I'm guessing Gnosis 1
>>
>>49818094
Mage is so flexible that putting the magic system into a game would be laughable at best.

Additionally, you need to remember that the WoD was most active before the current Golden age of open world games like Skyrim, fallout and such. The market simply wasn't as big or as developed as it is now.
>>
>>49818150
>they don't meet
Which is for the best, I prefer it when they're all separate. Otherwise it becomes a clusterfuck if you actually have to pay attention to what the other factions in the city are going to do or say based on your character's actions. It is hard enough dealing with that in your own setting, let alone taking into account what the werewolves will have to say about your new spirit friend and so on.

Not to mention the whole Arcadia thing.
>>
>>49818241
Just because they exist doesn't mean you have to use the ones specifically from Requiem. And Mages know that Arcadia is different.

Not to mention that a lot of drama can be had with inter-splat stuff. I mean, look at Dresden Files.
>>
>>49818110

Werewolf also had The Heart of Gaia, though it was never released: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYmiwbO5icc
>>
>>49818241
>Not to mention the whole Arcadia thing.

Thankfully, that's been settled.

>>49818241

Actually, The Pack had some very good observations and advice concerning how werewolves view mages and their interaction with the Shadow and Spirits.
>>
>>49818159
There doesn't need to be cohension at all.
Mages channel Supernal power.
Everything else is decidedly terrestrial.
Also each splat explicitly states that they're non-transferrable.
So there's no Vampire Werewolf Mage bullshit.
Bar Wolf-Blooded, but that's weird.

>>49818241
You don't have to have complete integration man, just like "huh, that guy who tried to put the moves on me is a Ghoul".

>Not to mention the whole Arcadia thing.
Which has been 100% resolved by the Devs saying "they're completely different".
>>
File: 61w3FsnheoL.jpg (69KB, 405x500px) Image search: [Google]
61w3FsnheoL.jpg
69KB, 405x500px
>>49813486
>Chronicles of Fagness
Pic related.
>>
>>49813486
>ike what really killed Lincoln?
Is that alluded to in a book somewhere? Was it some secessionist vampire or something?
>>
File: AHS - Voodoo Queen.png (359KB, 595x1020px) Image search: [Google]
AHS - Voodoo Queen.png
359KB, 595x1020px
If Marie Laveau had access to real magic, what sort of mage would she be?
>>
So to all those people supporting crossovers; would you be okay with a proximi line descended from powerful Mind/Spirit mages who either awaken as a Mage or become Beasts okay?

Or a group of Geists who have the ability to conjure up monsters of Fate and converse with them, learning the future and influencing it?

MIXING THE LINES IS BAD. It allows nonsense like that to blossom.
>>
>>49818807

Hmm, Silver Ladder w/ a familiar fettered to a snake. Life, Spirit, Prime, Matter and Death. I'd say a Thrysus or Moros or possibly an unusual Obrimos with a legacy based on Voodoo,
>>
>>49819066
>would you be okay with a proximi line descended from powerful Mind/Spirit mages who either awaken as a Mage or become Beasts?

"Normally, this magically talented family awakens as Mages, but once in a very great while someting Goes Terribly Wrong and something dark awakens in their souls. One of them snaps, becoming an evil and ravening creature that flees into the night, and has to be hunted and brought down before it spreads hate and misery throughout the city."

...I dunno, sounds like a pretty good story hook to me!
>>
>>49819098
I think there is a Tradition based off of something like voodoo, more like a South American variant.
>>
>>49819066
Proximi idea sounds cool so long as they completely lose access to proximi abilities.

Don't like the Geist idea though.
>>
>>49819180
You are supposed to like neither of them.
>>
>>49819180
Beast-ing involves your soul getting devoured by a Nightmare Thing that then takes it's places, so it -should-.
>>
>>49819232

>anyone who disagrees with me is wrong
>>
>>49819232
On what basis?
>>
>>49819263
That it weakens both games and distorts the WoD into a giant cluster fuck.
>>
>>49819298
I disagree. I would suggest that most game lines are district enough to survive meeting something which isn't native to their own cosmology.

I mean, vampires are corpses raised getting the dead by a terrestrial course which causes them to hungry for blood.
I don't see how that weakens the purview of the gnostic Mages who seek manifestation of there platonic forms, or vice versa.

If one person wants to play a PC from one of the groups in a game about the other, then that will probably cause some problems if they refuse to acknowledge and follow the overall group direction, but that's hardly terminal, and shouldn't preclude PCs from one splat from encountering NPCs from another.

For example, in any splat, Demons can fulfill the standard wish-granting "sell your soul" niche that may otherwise be harder to rationalise.
>>
File: 1395425856159.jpg (109KB, 406x364px) Image search: [Google]
1395425856159.jpg
109KB, 406x364px
I see a lot of posts saying crossovers are bad but I don't see many people saying WHY. You're already playing the fucking Monster Mash, so enlighten me as to what possible reasons you can have for not letting your vampire players fight a werewolf or a mummy other than your crippling assburgers.

>>49819298
>That it weakens both games
How?

>and distorts the WoD into a giant cluster fuck.
How is it not already a clusterfuck with all these things existing in the same world being a given?
>>
>>49819298

You gave two examples and one of them two people thought was pretty cool.
>>
File: BE - Izumo Kamiki - vii.png (2MB, 1280x904px) Image search: [Google]
BE - Izumo Kamiki - vii.png
2MB, 1280x904px
>>49819135
FOX WIVES
Throw in some connection to Seimei and his Kitsune mother and some lore about spooky mind-foxes and terrible daemon animals. That they summon. And control.
>>
File: Temp.jpg (32KB, 600x902px) Image search: [Google]
Temp.jpg
32KB, 600x902px
So, okay, Marksmanship's Through the Sights lets you aim up to Firearms + Composure rather than just 3, so for someone with 3 in each, that's a very healthy Six dice.

Quicken Sight, a vampire devotion that requires Auspex 1 and Celerity 1, lets you apply your Defense to ranged attacks, but also lets you 'benefit from aiming instantly'.

One Vitae for six dice on offense AND defense against bullets is pretty sweet. Vampire Gunslinger: Worth?
>>
>>49819659
Get out of here you minmaxer. Go play exalted if you want to minmax.
>>
>>49819418
Yes and they were wrong.
See what sort of faggotry these bad ideas take?
>>
>>49815015
You're missing the point of what he's saying. The Changing Breeds book is just bad. Like, mechanically and thematically bad.
>>
>>49817240
The fleshcrafting stuff is spread throughout a few bloodlines, but most of it is altering yourself, not others ala Vicissitude.

I have played with the feeding restrictions. I traded favors to a Sanctified to make me a Reliquary every so often, so that I could eat without issue.
>>
Quick, everyone talk me out of making a Mekhet lineage that spans back to pre-Roman times in order to give me playable characters across the entirety of human history
>>
>>49819851
Just why is vicissitude absent in CofD?
>>
>>49819877

Because CofD isn't WoD? If you look carefully, you'll notice there's no Tremere either.

The Norvegi do the job relatively fine.
>>
>>49819368
Crossover/multi-genre games typically dilute the themes of the game, and it gets hard for an ST to balance some things if they're not good at on-the-fly adjudication, or don't know the holes in certain game lines. If you're going into it to play Superfriends without playing to the themes and inherent setup of any of the gamelines you're using, then you're fine. But that's not always the case, and it gets hard. I played in a mixed-game once that evolved from a mortals game in 1e, but we ended up with a WHOLE lot of crazy because the two guys who turned vamp did a lot of vampire shiz, my werewolf girl still hung out with their mage buddy and did her normal violin prodigy stuff, while only learning the basics about being a werewolf, and the Mage was a LITTLE more about the Mage life.

This caused a huge friction in the game when the vampire court decided that their 'friends' needed to be 'controlled'. We ended up having a lot of (fun) PvP, but it got difficult for the ST running a lot of separate 'off with these 2 people/1 person/1 person' scenes to do the actual themes of those groups.
>>
File: 2OFUbA1.gif (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
2OFUbA1.gif
3MB, 480x270px
>>49819659
I think the instant aim only gives one die, but if not, that's pretty good.
>>49819862
Gonna be honest here, Jakki. That sounds cool. So I will not talk you out of it.
>>
>>49819877
Because NWoD/CofD is not meant to be a rehash of OWoD verbatim. It also is a very hard power to balance and, in many areas of NWoD, not thematic. Choosing to excise it was probably a design choice to help further eliminate 'problematic' areas of the OWoD from NWoD1e, like the removal of Malkavians, all the racial/ethnic stereotype clans and shiz.
>>
>>49819368

All of the gamelines have pretty distinct themes get increasingly less visible in a crossover, and while you can try to make complementary themes work in a crossover between two games, anything beyond that turns it into just a gigantic messy clusterfuck. There's also the fact that none of the games are mechanically balanced against each other, so your Werewolves are gonna be mad when the Thyrsus can outdo them at spirit things or your combat monster vampire has to share the spotlight with a Demon who can autokill NPCs equal to their successes with Merciless Gunman.

>How is it not already a clusterfuck with all these things existing in the same world being a given?

If you're talking about CofD, they explicitly don't all share a setting.
>>
>>49819912
I play in a werewolf/mage/sin-eater game. We have a solid theme that fits all of us. We're all hunting something, and our goals often interlap. Sure, the wolf will go do his sacred hunts with his pack, but he'll have my Acanthus look into the past on a target. My Acanthus may get whiff of of something related to the dead and the sin-eater comes in helpful as well. You don't have to have everything be together all the time.
>>
>>49819767
"Hmm, could it be that these people who disagree with me have valid opinions of their own? No, no, they're clearly wrong bad idiots, I'm always right, and anyone who disagrees with me is a faggot."
>>
>>49819962
And that's cool that you built around that, and I agree, you don't have to be together all the time. Our game, we weren't and it worked FINE, but it ended up hurting the game because 2 players wanted to go for the more vampire experience (which was fine, we were all OOC cool with it).

A lot of people don't plan for it, or have issues if it goes that way, and when the 'WE ARE ALL SUPERS' stuff shows up, and someone wants to do something deeply involved in their core concerns, it can cause problems.

I'm not saying it's a bad thing to do, and it can be fun. But the ST and players have to prep for it.
>>
>>49819862
your on your own. sorry.

also make its have time based powers, that hasn't been done yet.

Hell you can even link them to that mummy game you love so much. by having them be altered or their own personal time lines be destabilized when the First Empire broke time.
>>
>>49820026

I wasn't going for an actual bloodline, but just tracking a big long line of who sired who stretching back to Egyptian times. It's mostly an excuse to have an alchemist and mystic running around in John Dee's time who studies in Istanbul, but it could be a fun exercise.

If you want Mummy Bloodlines, the Khaibit and Usiri both scratch that itch pretty handily; in fact, with the Fog of Ages gone in 2e, the Usiri pretty much only make sense as a Mummy crossover thing.
>>
>>49819135
>>49819599
>>49819180
>>49819066
>Or a group of Geists who have the ability to conjure up monsters of Fate and converse with them, learning the future and influencing it?
What?
Why would a Geist be able to do that in the first place?
Hell, Ghosts can already tell the future. Doing that kind of "ask the shade of Tiresias" thing isn't unheard of in Geist.

>So to all those people supporting crossovers; would you be okay with a proximi line descended from powerful Mind/Spirit mages who either awaken as a Mage or become Beasts okay?
Don't see a problem. I've already made a Wolfblooded Dynasty. And I keep meaning to remake the Dead Wolves Bloodline. I think "Awaken or become the other thing" is a bad way of doing it, though. Maybe more of a sort of half-Beast, with powers based around fear and channeling ancient cultural monsters.

>MIXING THE LINES IS BAD. It allows nonsense like that to blossom.
Don't see the problem.

>>49819232
>>49819298
Neither of the examples you gave weakens the games. In fact, it can highlight shared themes. The Geist one is already a thing to begin with.

Having the other splats exist within the world makes the world feel more large and distinct, instead of just being ONLY one splat as the monsters in the dark.
>>
>>49819368
>>49819912
>>49819960
>I see a lot of posts saying crossovers are bad but I don't see many people saying WHY.
In general, it's true that if you play a game where the players are a Vampire, Mage, Werewolf, Changeling, and a Hunter, it's going to be a clusterfuck and the themes will barely overlap and rarely work for an extended game that exists beyond more than one story.

But at the same time, you also get a lot of people who seem to be dead set against the other splats EXISTING in their games. Yes, it's true that you can do that, but it's also true that having nothing but your splat lurking in the darkness dilutes one of the man themes of the Chronicles of Darkness, which is that there's always something hiding in the dark, even if YOU are one of those things hiding in the dark.

I think the best balance of this of course is to use one splat for the players and then have the other splats exist, but not necessarily perfectly reflect the way they're presented in the other gamelines. this is one of the reasons I love Hunter so much. It shows Vampires, Werewolves, etcetera in a way that doesn't require you to have their game books and doesn't rely on using the exact same setting as presented in those books. I love crossover, but I don't think that you need to have every city planned out in terms of how each supernatural interacts with the others (Unless of course your chronicle's themes and setting focus on the tense interactions of different factions).
>>
File: Viccissitude.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Viccissitude.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49819877
>>49817240
Here, I made some for you.
>>
>>49820206

At my table, if you're playing Changeling then vampires are all Leechfingers and werewolves are all Beasts and there's sundry hobs for every mythological niche imaginable, just the same as in a Demon game the shadows are full of glitchy horrors and God-Machine experiments that date back to the dawn of man. I'm not gonna say everyone else should do that, but its how I prefer things.
>>
>>49819915
Pretty much, it's super ambiguous, 'ask-your-gm' territory. Cool if it works, though!
>>
>>49820245
See, I don't like that. I don't like every supernatural creature to have the same origin.

>>49820252
>>49819659
You get the benefit of aiming for one turn reflexively. You don't get the benefit of aiming for six turns reflexively.
You could aim as a Reflex and then aim as an Instant.
>>
>>49820280
but if thats true then he is just better off spend the vitae to boost the dice pool. for 1-2 rather then 1-1.
>>
Crossover is cool and good and I'm actually excited for The Crossover Chronicle. Hell, I hope I can write for it somehow.
>>
>>49820317

I just want to see who the poor bastard is who handles the Mummy sections, because it's a pretty crossover-unfriendly game. There's room to work in some Vampire, Mage, and Promethean stuff, but only if you really want to suffer for it.

Just hire me for Mummy 2e ffs
>>
>>49820342
>because it's a pretty crossover-unfriendly game.
In my crossover game we've integrated the party as an ally of the cult, with a few members having actual MCI ranks in it. I trade between a senior cultist and the Arisen, when the mummy is awake.

By and large everyone is pretty onboard the 'collect relics' train, honestly. Also some evil vampires seem to have allied shuankhsen which we are looking into with some concern.
>>
>>49820342
Mummy seems pretty good for Crossover, aside from intentionally barely taking place in the WoD.
>>
>>49820472

Mummy works pretty well on that level. It starts to break down when it's the only game that treats Twilight as a place or when the Mages start to ask just what the fuck Sekhem is supposed to be.

I still want to play a loyal vampire head cultists who makes sure the flock doesn't fuck around too much while the Arisen is in henet and enjoys the benefits of a loyal herd in the long centuries between master's Descents.
>>
>>49820514
>or when the Mages start to ask just what the fuck Sekhem is supposed to be.
That's actually part of one of the Dark Age chapters though. Or at least pointing out mages sort of know it exists and have no idea what the shit it is made out of. And that is one of the PCs who will probably be doing that in the future, though we're unlikely to adopt a centuries long scale of play with this game.
>>
>>49820514
Mage screwing around with otherworldly power with only partial knowledge is how most of my games start.
>>
>>49820793
It'd actually be a great way to do a mage/mummy crossover chronicle if the mummy player doesn't mind their cultist PC being introduced as 'just' a mortal or waiting a few sessions for the mages to accidentally find and awaken the mummy with a half figured out variant of the Call.
>>
Do nimbus tilts have friendly fire? Say for example my Thrysus Adamantine Arrow nimbus is a 'pounding sense of fury' that causes -1 Composure and grants 8-again on Brawl.

Does everybody in the immediate vicinity of me get -1 composure or do only potentially hostile people get the debuff etc. Also what is the range of the nimbus tilt I assume sensory range?
>>
>>49821042
Nimbus Tilts apply indiscriminately.
If your friends are staring at you in Mage Sight when you're casting, or when you're purposefully manifesting it in plain view, then they get hit as well.

Everyone gets everything. Good and bad.

It applies to all Witnesses, so yeah, sensory.
>>
File: 1465232098382.gif (3MB, 290x260px) Image search: [Google]
1465232098382.gif
3MB, 290x260px
How do I make my familiar Materialize with that Manifestation? Do I just slap an Open condition on a birdcage and *poof* Owl crosses over?
>>
>>49821090
So as long as they don't have their mage sight on when somebodies casting a spell they're ok? Would I have to have my mage sight on to get the benefit/downside of my tilt?

What happens to powerful gnosis 6+ mages whose nimbus is obvious even to sleepers?
>>
>>49821180
Yes, unless that individual purposefully spends Mana to cause a Deliberate Flare.
Yes, you'll need to have Mage Sight on to Witness your own Nimbus.
Nothing, that's not how Gnosis 6+ works. Gnosis 6+ merely is so strong people get a bonus to identifying it. It doesn't just leak out constantly. That's the Long-Term Nimbus, which affects a very specific group of individuals in a very minor way.
>>
>>49821148

You always have the Open Condition on yourself because it's your Familiar, so they can always Materialize around you.
>>
>>49821233
Since you can reflexively enter and leave your ruling arcana mage sight? Would it be reasonable to tactically turn it on and off when people are spell slinging.
>>
>>49821306
Nope, Familiar merely states it doesn't preclude any other Manifestations. It doesn't create the Open condition. Furthermore, to Materialize the Open condition must be on a location, not a person. On a person it permits Fettering and Possession.
>>
>>49821338
Meh, unless you're facing a supremely powerful Mage, then their Nimbus Tilt won't really be anything to worry about that much.
In which case you've got bigger things to worry about.
>>
>>49819659
It's a cool idea, and there are enough limiting factors for it not to be a game breaker.
1) You can't add Vigor on gun attacks.
2) You can't grab the Kindred Duelling style, and thus can't ever go up to Lethal damage.

Still, it's cool, and gunslinger mekhet is a welcome difference from the ever-present ninjas.
>>
>>49821361
So if you have a familiar with the influence of Birds, what determines what resonates, or is that an argument you make.

eg: Does a tree branch, or power line, resonate with the familiar (and then with Spirit, change it to an Open so it can materialize) or would it have to be something more specific, like a nest or a bird bath/feeder.
>>
>>49821557
Take it up with your GM.
I'd generally say if there are a fair few birds around, or it's somewhere birds come all the time, then it'll resonate.

Think of it as a stench, something that clings to the world.
If that tree usually has loads of Bats in it, then it'll have the Resonant condition for Bats, even if that night someone gassed them all far away, and they didn't come back.
Then it'll fade.
>>
>>49821634
I will, but, your response helped get me on the right line of thinking for other resonances as well. Thanks.
>>
File: gigglemesh.png (93KB, 260x397px) Image search: [Google]
gigglemesh.png
93KB, 260x397px
>mages are limited by prep time
Except almost all of their spellcasting is spontaneous and free.
>>
File: Everyone.gif (2MB, 500x370px) Image search: [Google]
Everyone.gif
2MB, 500x370px
>>49815053
Nah 88 mph is just tapping into the symbol of time travel set up in pop culture. regardless. Never time travel. Never ends well.
>>
So I remember playing the Masquerade way back when and thinking it was cool but highly frustrating at times (don't remember why). Any mods to fix that?
>>
>>49822171
Do you mean the video game V:tM:Bloodlines? If so, the Unofficial patch for it is great. It's an excellent game.
>>
>>49821995
And where it is, it's weaker.
Get your head in the game, senpai.
>>
>>49822213
Anything else to make it better/unlock cut content?
>>
>>49822278
It's undergoing tweaks and changes all the time. The longer it's been since you last played, the more likely it is that stuff's changed.
>>
Mage 2e question:

Does mundane armor or Mage Armor that protects against physical attacks such as Forces and Prime provide any protections against spells cast at a mage or other target at Sensory Range, or do such spells bypass such armor just like Defense?
>>
>>49822787
Depends on how the spell works, really.
Forces or Matter attacks would be affected by Armor, Time and Death wouldn't.
>>
>>49819851
>Reliquary
that 1 dot theban sorcery stuff?

that only allows you to store vitae?
>>
Guns don't seem that effective against vampires, yet they also seem to be used often. Why?
>>
>>49823892
Easy to use, range, specialist ammo, laziness, not-having-to-be-near-a-bloodthirsty-motherfucker-ism.
>>
File: MvPllUK.gif (548KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
MvPllUK.gif
548KB, 400x302px
Werewolf 2E question.

Does Primal Urge still suppress the rate of physical aging like it did in 1E? (i.e. Can you be a 60 year old who looks 30 still?)
>>
>>49824344
2e Core makes no reference to that.
>>
There are some extended rolls in second edition where it requires X amount of successes, and then says the duration is "1 minute/hour per success".

Would that not last for X? Or is it successes over X?
>>
>>49823892
Say you want to fuck with a werewolf but you're just a lowly neonate. I mean, this is a problem. The motherfucker is chewing your shit up and he hates your guts. Hunting is no longer as easy as it is and this fur-nigger seems hell-bent on driving down property values.

Wat do?

Well, take these Hollow Points, drill them out to make the pocket larger and load them with a mercury/silver-dust amalgam and you're off to the races!
>>
>>49824750
>silver-dust amalgam

In 2e, those tactics no longer work. Tricks like silver nitrate, powder, etc., have no extra effect on werewolves. You need to use solid, pure silver.
>>
>>49825118
They actually sell solid silver ammunition. It's more of a novelty but it's out there.
>>
>>49825154
But the gunpowder taints it.

You want to silver a werewolf you need to get up close and personal
>>
>>49820206
the way I do it on my table is, say we play vampire. Werewolves exist and are doing their werewolf spirit cop stuff, mages are fucking around with the abyss. Changelings are all in hiding, etc. But none of that comes into play because the players are vampires and have no real way of learning about any of the other supernatural splats. Sure, a mage might try explaining who the seers are and the exarch's and how their magic works, but that mage probably only knows bare bones shit anyway. OR it'll be so over the head of any of the vampires that who gives a shit.

It makes no sense for a silver ladder mage to understand Lencea et Sanctum hierarchy, or what exactly the winter court does. This allows me to explore themes unique to mage, but it also allows me to draw on other stuff if I so desire.
>>
>>49825192
A vampire is a sleeper who can no longer awaken

It's in the SL's interest to wipe them out
>>
>>49825187
crossbow?
>>
>>49825198

ya, maybe. And if that is the core of the story we're telling then sure. Have the silver ladder v lancea et sanctum. But if the story is about some big seers of the throne plot then its not necessary for me to go into full detail on vampire politics in a mage game, Just give enough to hint at, maybe for use in a future plot, maybe just to give impressions of more darkness. I think saying vampires don't exist because we're playing mage is a poor reason to exclude an entire supernatural force.

Now if I'm doing a super small chronicles that I only plan on being 3-4 sessions, then ya, totally forget all the other stuff, way to much work that will never pay off. But if its a long running chronicle I think its interesting to show small bits and pieces of a larger, scarier world
>>
>>49814842
try war against the pure
>>
>>49825154
>They actually sell solid silver ammunition. It's more of a novelty but it's out there.

Would you trust novelty ammunition when facing a raging werewolf?

>But the gunpowder taints it.
>You want to silver a werewolf you need to get up close and personal

A trusty shotgun and some silver slugs or shot is probably the best type of weapon against a werewolf. Powerful, reliable, and no need for melee combat.
>>
>>49824749
Anyone know what the deal on this is? Most of the second edition werewolf weather gifts are like this.
>>
>>49813486
For my next WoD game I am going to play a Brujah antitribu in the Sabbat who is following the path of Self-focus.

Is this a good path for a vampire who is trying to gain mastery in controlling the beast so that he doesn't lose himself?
>>
>>49819912
Eh, fuck the themes.

It's the ST's job to decide what the theme of their game is. If I want action and crossovers in my WoD or CofD game, then I will have them in my game, themes be damned!
>>
File: the sopranos.jpg (144KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
the sopranos.jpg
144KB, 1024x768px
If you were going to set a New World of Darkness/Chronicles of Darkness game in the Grand Theft Auto universe, which continuity would you use?

3D Era? (GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas, Liberty City Stories)

HD Era? (IV, Lost and Damned, Ballad of Gay Tony, V)

I'm kind of torn myself because both settings are kind of awesome. If it's San Andreas, I'd probably use the setting from the 3D Era (GTA: San Andreas) instead of the one from GTA V. I liked V, but SA's iteration of the West Coast was just so iconic.

If I did Liberty City as a setting, I could totally do either the version from III and LCS or the one from IV and its various DLC's. Both were equally awesome.

On a similar note, I've considered running a sandbox Requiem game in the fictional state of New Essex, which is a fictional WoD version of New Jersey, with a chronicle heavily influenced by pic related.
>>
>>49825187
Pull the other one.
>>49825304
Not any less than any other specialty ammo. If I was fighting Vampires I'd use dragon's breath shotgun shells.
>>
>>49825557

3D era, but that's mostly my nostalgia talking.
>>
File: 1470608798014.jpg (19KB, 312x312px) Image search: [Google]
1470608798014.jpg
19KB, 312x312px
>>49815859
What crossover is this?
>>
Is there any reason why a group of industrious mages couldn't build a magical starship and explore the local system?

Martian canals, pyramids, faces. Pop-culture is full of inspiration for extraterrestrial mysteries.

The idea of a secret wizard base on mars is the right sort of goofy.
>>
>>49825198
Gaining a supernatural powerstat doesn't make you qualify as a sleepwalker or whatever?
>>
>>49826278
Space Spirits are fucking scary yo
>>
>>49817986
>OPP
>Good Mechanics
Pick one.

But more seriously, I expect the Crossover Chronicle to be more fluff focused. Detailing how not only individual monsters may conduct themselves when around other entities but also the large scale politics of the various organizations that are made up of those same monsters. From there interesting stories and Chronicles can really be made as two worlds collide.

...That is of course if they don't have Beasts and Mages acting like the superior asshole we know they are.
>>
>>49824344
If I were to throw in my five cents, I'd say it's still there despite no reference. Werewolves are still sturdy as fuck and their resilience and regeneration is present.
>>
>>49826086

"Premeditation", a story written by DaveB for The Primordial Feast - The Beast: The Primordial Anthology. A Beast, a Mage and a Changing Breed go on a cosmic heist to murder a Beast. Also confirmation that every government is aware of the supernatural, if that's something you care about.

It's a good story, DaveB consistently writes fun fiction.
>>
>>49824344
Actually kind of a complicated issue since they dropped the whole "Werewolves can't fuck" thing completely. If werewolves now breed normally (which is never contradicted anywhere), it may actually make sense for them to not be particularly long lived.
>>
File: 133816510141.jpg (29KB, 474x595px) Image search: [Google]
133816510141.jpg
29KB, 474x595px
>>49826357
And where I can find it?
>>
>>49826431

Three bucks on DriveThruRPG for a PDF.
>>
>>49826299
Indescribable horrible death at the hands of unimaginable godlike entities is par for the course for playing a mage.

You actually gave me an idea for a future game. It will be like 'The Thing' the party will be stuck in a Sanctum with an NPC cabal. An entity is jumping in and possessing the bodies of people. Who can you trust? What's hunting you? How can you kill it?
>>
>>49826357
>Also confirmation that every government is aware of the supernatural, if that's something you care about.
Task Force: Valkyrie wasn't confirmation enough?
>>
A children's show Vampire who is embraced as a joke turns his newfound powers into protecting the children as a Cereal Box, haunted-house vampire.
>>
A pack of Werewolves running a volunteer fire station have finally managed to fill the entire roster with only Werewolves and wolfblooded, ensuring easy access to restricted buildings, safety from being observed healing, and pull with the town council.
>>
>>49824749
obligatory PLS RESPOND
>>
>>49821148

If you're strong enough to cast Familiar Pact, you're strong enough to cast a spell to grant other Manifestation Conditions with the same Duration. Just apply Materialized and you're done.
>>
>>49826555

Surprisingly, no. I know I had to deal with a lot of "Well of course AMERICA knows, but everyone else must be in the dark!"

Not even that part of VALKYRIE in C&C convinces some of them.
>>
>>49827089
The default assumption is that EVERYONE in the CofD is aware of the supernatural, and most people just politely ignore it to maintain some semblance of a sane and normal life.

There's a reason every character you make has the "what have you forgotten?" question.
>>
A police procedural starring a Sin-Eater homicide detective his werewolf partner and the sassy Vampire Medical Examiner.
>>
Every supernatural splat should have an equivalent to the ghoul or wolfblooded, some kind of supernatural cronies.

Every promethean should come with a complimentary Igor.
>>
>>49827181

To be fair, that was only made more explicit in 2e. It was there to an extent in 1e, but like a lot of 1e tiny bits of WoD lore stayed in as "common sense".
>>
>>49827181
I always assumed that the "everyone knows" is more of a "Everyone knows not to stay out past dark" kinda thing. You don't assume that the woman in the flat above yours is a fly-monster, you just don't go up there. A thing you've forgotten doesn't mean that you hid under a table when a Gangrel kicked in the door and pulled your Mums head off. Just maybe your imaginary friend as a child who was all too real.
>>
>>49827207

They largely do. Mages have Proximi, Changelings had the Ensorcelled, Mummy has Sadik...
>>
>>49827205
Oh my god I would watch this if it were a show.
>>
>>49827230

Yeah, this is my preferred take also. It makes the setting feel more coherent. If everyone knows beyond a doubt that magic is real, it has a very different flavour to one where people are just vaguely aware not to chase things that go bump in the night.
>>
>>49827214
That's why I said CofD as opposed to nWoD.

CofD has only been called CofD since after the change to 2e.
>>
>>49827230
It doesn't mean everyone knows that, say, vampires specifically exist, just that there's definitely shit out there that's supernatural, and it's smarter to keep your head down.
>>
Has anyone ever started a game of Vampire (Requiem or Masquerade, not fussed) that didn't begin in Elysium (or the Sabbat equivalent if that exists?) Something that gives an iron-clad reason for the PCs to stick together, not kill eachother and also introduce the important NPCs?

I'm starting a Requiem game tonight and I just realised every Vampire game I've ever ran or played in has started in Elysium, and tonight will be no exception.
>>
So how do you make an individually dangerous Hunter in CoD? How do you make a Punisher or Blade or Helsing?

It just seems shitty to me that the only way to gain access to extrahuman capability is locked behind a not-particularly-good conspiracy. Or by becoming a slasher who gets supernatural powers for some completely arbitrary reason.
>>
>>49827313

And I was talking about 1e CofD. It's a complete name change, they just don't reprint the old books to say so, since they can't afford it and White Wolf sure isn't going to.
>>
>>49827373
Prep time my man. Now that's not to say that coming up with a plan and spending time on it guarantees success, but you'd be surprised what taking some time to think about something can do to influence your chances of success. A Blade style character would be different, since he is half vampire. I can't suggest anything mechanically unfortunately, but having a plan will always help.

Consider who you're hunting (or your players if he's an Antagonist), what would they normally do if you did X? Could the Hunter figure that out without it being too obviously meta-gamey? Then plan something for it.
>>
>>49827364

Ours started with us on the way to become members of a new Domain that had been virtually wiped out after an unpleasant incident.

>>49827373

You ever see Death Proof? Do that and don't try to attack any supernatural stunt drivers.
>>
>players unironically want me to run a Predator vs. Werewolves chronicle
Please send help
>>
>>49827462
Sounds interesting. While someone is biting, do you ever have players Blood Potency advance over the course of a campaign without spending XP/diablerie? All of mine seem to stick at 1-2 since I'm wary of skipping into the future.

>>49827543
Dude that sounds awesome. With >>49827205 you guys are on a roll for prospectively awesome campaigns.
>>
>>49827596
Isn't that what blood beats are for?
>>
>>49827622
Can't believe I forgot those, you are a life saver Anon.
>>
>>49827373
You could take the supernatural merits present in all the newer books. Also, load up on style merits. I mean, stack them to death. Also, Blade is a half vampire, so probably be a ghoul or dhampir. Punisher has a shit ton of weapons and prep time. You could be a lucifuge, or a Malleus Maleficarum. There are options.
>>
>>49824749
Dunno about this exact case, but with Blood Sorcery in VtR 2e Theban ritual Stigmata it works like: required number of successes is 5, and duration in turns 1 + 1 for every success beyond the 5th. (stupid mechanic imho, because afaik after required number of successes in extended action you should stop rolling)
>>
>>49827267
>>49827596

(Part 1/?)
My partner’s a werewolf.

I’d protest but a couple months ago I caught a belly full of buckshot and woke up on a slab in the county morgue so I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt.

It has it’s ups and downs. The squad car always smells like a wet dog but he’s handy in a scrap and he can see the hairs on a fly’s ass from a block away. But right now he’s making eyes at me to finish my interview

“I’m telling you he climbed up the wall like some sort of bug.” the woman pleaded wild eyed. She was probably pretty as a penny at one point but the grim of this city had managed to stain her like it stains everyone else. Poor girl probably a small town transplant looking for stardom on a silver-screen run by perverts and fiends.

“Ma’am it’s late.” I replied diplomatically “I want you to drink this and take a moment to collect yourself and give your statement to the patrolwomen” she accepted the coffee gratefully and I let the beat cop lead her off.

I lit up a smoke and went to meet the werewolf.
>>
>>49828110

(Part 2/?)

“Que pasa? Lopez the lobo” I felt more than I heard the low growl of annoyance.
“Jesus, Laz ease up on the smokes you’re smelling more like an ash-tray than an Urn.” he countered.
“Why? Like I got to worry about cancer?” he only grunted in reply.
“What’s the story with the girl?” he asked.
“Same old story, wrong place wrong time”
“She going to be a problem?”
“I doubt it, she’ll calm down in a bit realize she’s talking crazy and give the patrolwoman a story that we can peg onto a minority”
“Fuck you”
“Buy me a drink first. What did you find?”
“Nothing” he replied
“I’m not following”
“There’s nothing here other than the victims scent. That’s just not possible” he gestured over the scene
“Maybe your allergies are acting up?” I snarked as a started to chew the end of my smoke.
“Cute, what are you thinking?” he asked looking around the scene again with futile effort.
“I’m not sure. Something about this seems familiar.”

“Detectives!” Our conversation was interrupted by a panting rookie patrolmen. “Sorry, this… message came… in earlier”

“Easy son.” replied Lopez “Take your time.”

“Sorry, DA Morningstar wants to meet with you says it’s important” he replied with the innocence of a mortal. Lopez and I exchanged glances if Morningstar the unchained wanted to meet at this hour it was going to be a long night.
>>
Seinfeld, but with Werewolves.
>>
>>49828185
I read this and now I'm listing to the Seinfeld theme. Count me in.
>>
>>49813486

Ok you guys, I'm playing VtR 1E and my friends and I CANNOT decide on a name for our coterie.

The group so far is:

Daeva Houngan with tons of Kindred Vodoun rituals, ancillae
Gangrel, Taifa bloodline, psychologist (yes, it's very funny), ancillae
Ventrue, Son of Cade, she was raised in a Texan militia which was actually a patriotic shadow cult, neonate
Nosferatu, Noctuku bloodline, infamy and fame to represent being a horror story not unlike The Unholy with terrible amnesia after a loooong trip to the underworld, Elder

When we formed the coterie we all took an oath bound by Kindred Vodoun (so if we betray each other we take a -5 to /everything/). Other than that, all we have in common is that we're all totally misfits. The Daeva is too bookish and interested in retaining humanity for his kin, the Gangrel is a very sociable and calm psychologist, the Ventrue has vigor 4 and resilience 3 and prefers a hands on approach, and obviously the Nosferatu is a total outsider (that is only allowed to stay in the praxis under duress of serving as Hound, and certain mystical measures are taken to keep the leash relatively short for the upper officials).

What the /fuck/ do we call ourselves?
>>
>>49828330
Huey Lewis and The News
>>
>>49828330

The Aristocrats
>>
>>49828330

3 Khans and Jerry
>>
File: TimeBanditsposter.jpg (224KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
TimeBanditsposter.jpg
224KB, 800x600px
>>49828330
DoIt
>>
>>49825198
They're not Sleepers, and that's not how the Silver Ladder works.
>>
>>49828346

nice meme, friendo
>>
So I am planning on running my first Vampire game when my groups current campaign dies a death of a thousand cuts.

Its going to be a sandbox game set in Newark/Jersey City area during the Eighties. We are setting it in NJ because that is where we live and I am using oWoD because I liked Bloodlines/Got the humble bundle.

What tips/advice/resources should I be looking into do you guys have?
>>
File: 1473098765540.png (84KB, 480x280px) Image search: [Google]
1473098765540.png
84KB, 480x280px
>>49828556
>VtM
>>
>>49828556

If you can, have all your players make characters together, ESPECIALLY if you have all those books thanks to the bundle.
>>
If I want to be a vanilla human and fight monsters without being a Hunter, what should I do?
>>
>>49828821
Be a human, taking fighting style merits from the core book and buy a shotgun
>>
>>49828821
Well for starters stay off tumblr.
>>
>>49828821

In what?
If it's oWoD, then idk, prepare to die
In 1E you could take Frenzied Assault and Berserker as fighting styles, and Weaponry Monomaniac, along with the other usual physical merits (iron stamina, fast reflexes, etc), and then just up your stamina, strength, occult, dexterity, and wits. If you do all that you could probably kill some stuff, like weaker vampires and changelings. Or just dip heavy into crafts and science and use explosives for everything.
In 2E... idk I think it goes back to prepare for death.
>>
>>49825118
It is solid... Just granular and hanging suspended in mercury. Alternatively you can skip the mercury which is mainly there to increase hydraulic shock, thus turning small holes into big holes, and just use silver dust or a silver tip.

>>49825154
It's problematic because silver is both harder and more brittle than lead and copper and can break up and will wear down your barrel more quickly.
>>
Frenzying vampires are still able to make intelligent actions right?

A hunger frenzied kindred could activate an electronic lock they know the passcode to, for example?
>>
>>49828865
cool
>>49828871
no tumblr here, just a ww3 vet with a bone to pick
>>49828892
2E, guess I'll just prepare for death
>>
>>49826319
I like the mechanics.

>>49817986
Beast's problem isn't that Family and Kin are goofy mechanics, it's that it gets rid of a lot of Beast's core themes of Hunger and Satiety. "Find your own place in the night" and "study the other monsters" are good themes. The problem comes with the fact that they lose out on a reason to study them, since they no longer need to terrorize people. It works best with Mage or the Ordo Dracul, since both of those groups are also essentially "knowledge is power" and all about getting better just to get better.

>>49826396
Werewolves are still unlikely to die of old age.
>>
>>49827332
>>49827230
>>49827181
I prefer a more "people don't *KNOW* the supernatural exists, but they're still creeped out by the dark".
I mean, no matter how much my real world rational brain knows there's nothing lurking in the dark except a dog I should be careful not to trip over, I'm still going to walk through the house at night imagining Reptiloids and Killer Clowns and Shadowmen and Pyramid Head and Sadako or whatever was in the most recent Creepypasta I read hiding just out of reach waiting to make me dead. And I don't even live in the World of Darkness.

>>49827207
>>49827248
Promethean is the one that least needs a half template. It *has* one, even, but they're badguys.
Enscorcelled are close, but get no powers or abilities from it. Sin-eaters really need one, in that in 1e there was an aspect (that the developer said was noncanon) where you had to have been some kind of medium before your death to attract a Geist.

>>49827409
Actually, they've started printing oWoD books on demand now. I wonder if they'll reprint the old nWoD books, though. They'd have to edit all the references.
>>
>>49827373
It's not really arbitrary. Being crazy giving you powers isn't really a thing unique to Slashers. And only Scourges are even supernatural at all. Rippers are just Really Good.

Punisher is probably an Avenger.

But you could do it without being a Slasher, it'd just take more than 10 merit dots.
>>
>>49828110
Goddamnit, this reminds me that I need to write some noir myself.
>>
An extremely powerful thaumaturge uses some of the darkest voodoo and has sent an entire city into The Eclipse, including the city's supernatural population.

How do the various spooks resolve the situation and/or die horribly.
>>
>>49828330
Do you and your friends have a name for your group?
Why would you need a name for your coterie? It's not a gang, it's just four people.

>>49828871
Who else do you think is making all those "Late Night Tumblr" memeposts that clog up imgur?
Shitposting vampires.
>>
>>49829787
>Why would you need a name for your coterie? It's not a gang, it's just four people.
There's a space on the character sheet for it, so it's expected.

Honestly though, Vampire is probably the game where "name the player-group" is least necessary. Mage Cabals or Changeling Motleys? Sure, naming the group literally gives it symbolic and mystical power. Naming your werewolf pack to solidify your group identity also makes sense, especially considering werewolf packs are pretty much literally gangs in 2e. Promethean Throngs ALSO have mystical mumo-jumbo associated (although that's for Branded Throngs), same with krewes. But Vampires? Your coterie is just "these other bloodsuckers I don't hate and can probably count on not to stab me in the back".
>>
File: Trailer_3-1.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Trailer_3-1.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>>49829653
>the you're a grog and you remember when hunters were the Inquisition, the Arcanum and Project Twilight.
>>
>>49828134
Anon, I swear on all that is holy, please continue this.
>>
Wannabe first-time GM/ST wanting to prep for M:TAw here.

I've been looking into basic story hooks and have the gist of what the setting's about and what's in it, but what should I have a solid understanding of before jumping straight into a basic beginner game?

I guess I'm still confused as to how the stats fit together, how you coordinate combat, turns, and basic pacing I guess?
I mean, I get that you use a bit of common sense when working out how long certain tasks take (rituals in a sanctum, improvising spells in a scene, etc.) but do you just kind of work out timescales depending on the story events taking place?

Assuming first time players don't have much clue as to what they can do, is it a good idea just to give them some basic rotes for their arcana dots and then ease them into making their own spells later on?
>>
File: vampire cop.jpg (24KB, 342x528px) Image search: [Google]
vampire cop.jpg
24KB, 342x528px
So, question for Masquerade or Requiem. I play both so it doesn't matter.

How would you go about having your character be a vampire cop. Specifically a beat cop? Like, what kind of finagling would you have to engage in to get the night shift and only the night shift?
>>
>>49830711
Volunteer

No fucker wants to work the night shift, and as long as you aren't interested in promotion, then working only nights is fine.

You ight have an issue when you eventually have to go to court though
>>
>>49830736
I was mainly curious. To avoid these complications, the character is a former police officer.
>>
>>49830711
>Hey Jimmy why you look like a fucking monster all the sudden
>>
>>49830507
Want some advice? Don't run Mage as your first game, the sheer amount of shit your players can do can destroy a chronicle of you aren't careful. Do requiem or werewolf (or mortals ideally) if it's your first time.
>>
>>49828110
>>49828134

Let me guess, the mayor of the city is a corrupt mage...
>>
>>49826319
>That is of course if they don't have Beasts and Mages acting like the superior asshole we know they are.

"Arrogant superior asshole" is Mage template ability. It's like peripheral mage sight, they cannot turn it off.
>>
>>49831249
In my defence, I've never not run a game before (Age of Rebellion, incidentally), and out of the people I'd ask they're more likely to want to play Mage considering they identify more with being a human suddenly realising they can hack reality than say a vampire or werewolf.
>>
>>49831529
>they identify more with being a human suddenly realising they can hack reality than say a vampire or werewolf.

That's a recent phenomena. I still remember the 1990's and early 2000's when all the cool kids wanted to play the sexy vampires and werewolves.
>>
>>49830309
Sure but it's going to be sporadic. I got shit to do senpai.
>>49831399
Nope regular corrupt human. Mages in 'Noir City' keep mostly to themselves. Mostly because the rest of the supernatural community can't fucking stand them.
>>
File: Temp.jpg (666KB, 1536x2217px) Image search: [Google]
Temp.jpg
666KB, 1536x2217px
>>49831603
You know why that is.
>>
>>49831603
The REAL cool kids watch the Matrix and play around with existential conundrums these days.
>>
>>49832081
The real cool kids watched Dark City.
>>
>>49831731
MAGES
>>
>>49830711
>>49830736
I'm pretty sure there's a book that points out this is basically impossible.

>>49830507
I'd actually go with >>49831249. Mage is a tough game, tougher when it's your first. I'd go with Hunter, or even more than that, I'd suggest a mortals game using only the corebook. For your first game, anything you do should come from that book, or at the very least anything your players do that you don't give to them should be from that book. You personally can use whatever you want.
I should really continue this. I have a habit of forgetting about homebrew I'm working on until after the spark dies.

>>49831529
"I've never not run a game"? Is that like an ambiguous way of saying you're always the ST?
That's fine, it's just that Mage is a really tough system to wrap your head around, and relies on the kind of group that reads the books really really well, at least if you're going to start with that one.
>>
>>49832488

> I have a habit of forgetting about homebrew I'm working on until after the spark dies.
>until after the spark dies

Well there's your problem. Gotta write every day, even when the spark dies. Sparks are ephemeral jerks, writing without them is like 90% of the task.
>>
>>49823751
Yup. He makes a reliquary for me, and I have a food source from it because it uses my own blood.
>>
>>49832098
This fellow has the right of it.
>>
>>49824344
It's not something we've specifically detailed in the core or The Pack.

If I had to pitch my tent on the matter, I'd lean towards high Primal Urge still reducing the effects of old age on Uratha, along with means of ultimately overcoming the ravages of time being something they can do at the very high end - but a) that's not official for 2e or anything and b) most werewolves have enough other things to worry about surviving without old age really coming into it too much.
>>
>>49834506
Hey Chris would allowing a Werewolf lodge's blessing the ability to use Imbued Item/Artifacts from mage be to broken?

I have an idea of a lodge thats trying to turn werewolves to be more Pangaean like. So I'm wondering if this is to much?
>>
Has anyone gotten ahold of W20 Kinfolk yet?
>>
>>49834788
>Has anyone gotten ahold of W20 Kinfolk yet?

or the new Mage 2e PDF with the errata!
>>
>>49834609
Absolutely. That is really putting your fingers in another splat's pie.
>>
>>49834609
But werewolves were never pangeans themselves. They're descendants, but not the actual thing. Also, pangeans can't exist anymore after the papa wolf got axed.
>>
>>49835430
Never say never.
Especially with Supernal Magic at your disposal, and even MORE when dealing with Artifacts.
>>
>>49836221
>>49836221
>>49836221
>>49836221
>>49836221
New Thread!
>>
>>49830711
That sounds difficult but also like the sort of thing that'd be really convenient to an evil organization of vampires that secretly runs the world.

Couldn't you just make him a ghoul?
>>
Acanthus Granny who after her husband dies decided to hang with her Grankids using Time to make herself like a teen. She goes to school too.
Thread posts: 309
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.