[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think it's possible to include ninjas in your usual

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 7

Do you think it's possible to include ninjas in your usual western fantasy setting without it coming off as really tacky?
>>
Play up the peasant assassin instead of piling in as much katana warrior bullshit as possible.

Have them be sneaky underhanded cunts who, once cornered, generally aren't these dangerous master warriors we tend to envision them as. They might try a trick or two to escape, but they won't slice their opponent into 50 pieces with superior nihonese steel.
>>
>>49803271
No. Only things that existed in western world are allowed. Like wizards and tolkien style elves.
>>
Tolkien based elves on Japanese ninja. They live in ninja castles with all sorts of ninja tricks like fake walls, hidden passages, and swiveling floors.

He then based dwarves on the samurai, making them honorable and very traditional. Gimli was originally going to be named Gimuri, but that's already a Japanese word for toothpaste made out of seaweed so he changed it a little.

Tolkien really was the original weaboo.
>>
>>49803336
If it's not a copypasta, it should be.
>>
>>49803271
I guess it depends. What level of ninja are we talking about? Realistic? Clever spies? Rogues with shadow magic? Naruto?

Probably best to not call them ninjas however. Something like a Rogue is just a descriptive term that could be used to describe multiple types of person. Ninja is from a specific culture, and so including it means you're either brining in a whole lot of baggage or they're weirdly out of place.

Kind of like if you suddenly had historic paladins in a feudal Japan setting. I mean, yes you already have a similar thing in the setting, but now you have to stop and explain this shit.
>>
>>49803330
And dragons, don't forget dragons. I fondly remember the dragon house in the London Zoo.
>>
>>49803271
I think Dishonored did ninjas pretty well without even calling them ninjas.
>>
>>49803371
Don't be stupid.

The komodo dragons are in their own enclosure in Regent's Park.. near.. well it used to be a bear enclosure but it's not just sort of assorted Australian wildlife.They're not in the Reptile House at all!
>>
just don't call them ninjas
>>
>>49803271
You can do it one of three ways. The first is to think up whatever you like and call it a ninja. Japanese fiction writers do this all the time. I won't bother listing the other two ways Because this is the best way to do it I won't even bother to list the other two ways.
>>
>>49803336
>>49803360
It is.

I recall chuckling at this.
>>
>>49803360

Well, Tolkien, if we're going to read into it, actually based the peoples of his book off the peoples and elements of his time in history. The Elves represented the royalty specifically how Britons viewed the royalty; a people few, but beautiful and elegant, fading away from prominence and power in a world where they once reigned supreme. The Dwarves would be the Nouveau Riche, the peoples industry has brought into wealth and influence. Even their aesthetics mirror these interpretations, Dwarven architecture and artifice reflecting an Art Deco style, while the Elven aesthetic reflect Art Nouveau, both artistic styles that are actually mirrored in their respective real-world based influences.
>>
>>49803608

Knarltoe is really the only thing that did this. Even most of the more outlandish Ninja depictions such as Senran Kagura have their ninjas functional in their role as infiltrators.
>>
>>49803444

Dishonored was top-notch in atmosphere, worldbuilding, and art style. Honestly, it should have been built and balanced better, and probably not made on the Unreal Engine, because every game made on the Unreal Engine smacks of the Unreal Engine like the taste of burnt rubber in your mouth.
>>
>>49803829
Hopefully Dishonored 2 will fix some of those issues and the company will hear the ciriticism their players and testers give them to deliver a polished product.
And maybe the gaming industry could also develop a cure for cancer in the form of a 3DS game that also generates chocolate chip muffins from the æther while I'm dreaming.

If they just don't add a romantic love interest waif I'll be happy. Sick to the back teeth of those.
>>
>>49803329
>peasant assassin
>historical accuracy
The appeal of the ninja is as a sort of apex killer. No one is looking to recreate the tensions of feudal japan in a western fantasy setting, when they say they want to do ninjas they do typically mean katana warrior bullshit.

That said, it can be done. I think they just need to be watered down. They are these sneaky, mysterious assassins who dress in dark colors and have impressive finesse. They use poisons and smoke and various gadgets and gimmicks, and maybe, just maybe, they have sharp little one-edged swords. That depends if your players are going to be the kind to get angry over katanas and oriental stuff in general.
>>
>>49803722
I dunno about that naruto is basically just a wizard, ninja can mean anything these days.
>>
File: acid-s3_235517.jpg (466KB, 2000x1127px) Image search: [Google]
acid-s3_235517.jpg
466KB, 2000x1127px
Just ignore the "alien-worshipping death cult" stuff.
>>
Make them all elves practicing secret elven martial and mystical techniques. They already meditate instead of sleeping elves are weeb as fuck.
>>
>>49803566
/thread
>>
>>49804244

As the games further progressed the Assassins really did seem wacko
>>
>>49804203
Fucking this. Naruto "ninjas" are weaboo wizards.
>>
>>49804394

Granted I never got too invested in the storyline but as time went on it was harder and harder for me to not sympathize with the Templars more.

One of the few things I liked about Connor was he didn't seem all that actually interested in the alien shit. He just wanted to keep it away from the Templars, and even then that was tangential to his main quest of sating his autism.
>>
Creating a ninja PC with an animal motif. Would a hawk theme fit a ninja or would it a better for a samurai?

They are ambush predators that see everything and are considered messengers in some cultures (not sure about Japanese culture) so it goes with the whole spy/ninja theme.

Yet hawks are considered bringers of war and strength so it could work for a samurai.
>>
File: Altaiir.png (268KB, 450x750px) Image search: [Google]
Altaiir.png
268KB, 450x750px
>>49804244
I prefer the original assassin outfit. Much more functional and less busy.

>I'm a stealth killer!
>Part of a super-secret organization that's evaded the public eye for millennia
>Let's go with the most ostentatious cluttered garb we can possibly find
>Put on a bright red cape like you're a superhero, why not? It's not like you need to hide from anybody
>Might as well get covered in shining jewelry and armor too. Assassins need to be seen.
>Let me display the logo of my secret organization, size of my face, right on my WWE championship belt where everyone can see it
>>
>>49805522
It's an honourable ninja or devious samurai symbol. The ninja will do things properly and serve his lord. The Samurai will ambush and control the battlefield.

If you want to be a dickass ninja who will screw anyone over for a coin, go for a more dickass animal. Otherwise you're cool.
>>
>>49805761
>White hood? Why, that's to blend in!
>What do you mean nobody wears these aside from us?!
>What about scholars?
>That was centuries ago?
>Didn't even happen here in Italy, ever?
>I'm not taking it off, have you seen how sexy and brooding I look in it?
>>
>>49805842
I stopped playing after the game justified the increased guards with people knowing a guy in a white hood was doing the killings.

You're saying I'm too dumb to switch outfits? Shit, Al Mualim was right, we're ignorant sheeple who need wisdom from on high to operate.

And why am I killing these people in the middle of a crowded marketplace in broad daylight?
>>
File: blending2.jpg (48KB, 440x276px) Image search: [Google]
blending2.jpg
48KB, 440x276px
>>49805904
Security consultants during the crusades knew that the game designers didn't have the budget to give Altaiir that many character models, so they could expect him to wear more or less the same outfit in every job he did.

Still, he did a great job blending in with hookers. There was actually a cosplay somewhere where they replicated that, and the guy playing altaiir was actually quite difficult to see.
>>
>>49804394
The Templars did nothing wrong, Assassins are just the other side of the coin.
>>
>>49805812
>If you want to be a dickass ninja who will screw anyone over for a coin, go for a more dickass animal.

What animal would that be? The usual animals for ninjas, spies and assassins are snakes, scorpions, toads/frogs, monkeys, anything from the cat family, chameleons, crows and spiders.
>>
>>49803271
You could always take all the cool shit ninjas are supposed to do, give the people doing them hoods instead of masks, and call those people "assassins" instead.
>>
>>49806759
Well, cats are a fairly obvious choice. I love them but they can be dicks.
Arachnids and insects just do whatever. You can't really expect a scorpion not to sting up you after all.
The others can go either way mostly. Though I'd say monkey isn't usually and crow is more neutral.
>>
>>49805522
>>49805812
>Hawk
>Honorable Ninja or Bloodthirsty Samurai
Both are great options, thanks anon!

Might lean to playing an honorable ninja though just because of this amazing song...Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sGUMgSJFX0
>>
>>49805812
I don't know too much about animals but was it about a Hawk that has as them either as an anti hero ninja or an anti villain samurai?

Why are Eagles considered an approvable animal for the hero but not any of the other bird of prey?

>>49805522
Are Hawks more aggressive then Eagles?
>>
>>49806884
Doesnt mean bloodthirsty. Just one who's prepared to skirt honor if it gets the job done better.
>>
File: ninja dating.jpg (336KB, 1024x600px) Image search: [Google]
ninja dating.jpg
336KB, 1024x600px
>>49803271
This is how you do ninjas right in a setting.
>>
>>49805761
>trying to blend into Italian society without looking ostentatious as fuck.
>>
>>49803720
That's not how people saw the monarchy at the time.
>>
>>49803829
Underdeveloped stealth system and blink2win were the biggest problems with Dishonored.
>>
>>49803271
Not quite sure. The closest analogs I know of are from the ancient era, both a germanic tribe and the spartans.
>>
>>49803868
Dishonoured 2 will be shit
It's a triple a game released post 2014, of course its going to be shit
>>
>>49807738
Okay, I'll give you that one
>>
>>49807973
So far the trailers and all the material is not looking quite good

But then again, if there is a single developer I'd have to believe, it's Arkane
>>
>>49803271
>New Ninja Ned Kelly and his Bug-Eyed Kelly Gang.
>>
>>49805904
>And why am I killing these people in the middle of a crowded marketplace in broad daylight?

That's the Assassins' MO though, to publicly and fearlessly kill powerful figures to induce terror among their enemies, create a 'you will never be safe' feeling
>>
>>49803271
>Do you think it's possible to include ninjas in your usual western fantasy setting without it coming off as really tacky?

>not having a dickgirl fencer/spy whose feminine penise all the world desires in your setting
It's like you don't even play spy games centered around the American Revolution.
>>
>>49812609
But the assassins generally didn't survive the attempts either.
>>
>>49812609
So I'll wear the hood for the big assassinations and disguises everywhere else.
Bam. They're still frightened because firstly I could be literally anyone and two because I can still walk up to them wearing my assassin costume and kill them despite everything.

But then nobody plays those games for realism or historical accuracy.
>>
>>49804394
They were wack from the get go. Remember how Ezio just fucking bodies those cops who come to his house at the beginning? He doesn't even react to it either
>>
>>49803608
Western writers do this too, only they keep calling their creations Vampires.
>>
>>49804394
They also seemed to get less assassin-like as the games went on and morphed into a generic secret society #42415 (now with extra logo spam so that everyone will know that you're member of the society).

But then again the assassins vs templars and the ancients were always the weakest part of AC's already pretty damn weak story.
>>
>>49803330
Wizards and elves are part of medieval western mythology and western-style fantasy fiction though. Ninjas are from a completely different tradition (and about as historical as fucking elves).

That said, most cultures have some tradition of super-sneaky bastards with semi-magical abilities and deadly fighting skills and modern fantasy certainly has plenty of them. Just don't call them Ninjas and avoid the really obvious Okinawan weapons and you should be fine.
>>
>Weeb keeps wanting to play asian classes
>insists on calling their spells jutsu
>>
>>49804202
>>peasant assassin
>>historical accuracy

The whole ninja as members of the lower class thing isn't historically accurate at all though. Most of the people in Japanese history who get labelled as examples of historical ninja were samurai. Just like in Europe, members of the upper class did most spying and assassination, because they had numerous advantages like freedom of movement, literacy, weapons and the training to use them, enough social clout to avoid being decapitated on the slightest suspicion and so on. Plus, most people preferred to have family members carry out sensitive missions and the people who wanted most spying and assassination done were nobles.

The idea of an alternative social structure of secret agents who presented themselves as commoners is actually the fantastic bit.
>>
File: ninja-valet.jpg (59KB, 736x490px) Image search: [Google]
ninja-valet.jpg
59KB, 736x490px
>>49813464

Stagehands. They were stagehands.

People began associating the black outfit with "I'm not really here". Then one brilliantly evil playwright broke the fourth wall by dressing an assassin in stagehand clothes, and the meme of black-clad invisible assassins propagated from there.
>>
>>49813210
What are some of the names for sneaky assassins/ shadow warriors in other cultures?
>>
>>49803271
Depends, how tacky do you think the Assassins Creed series is?
>>
>>49803271
Fuck avoiding it, make them straight up power rangers.

Go big or go home.
>>
>>49815509
Assassins
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nizari#Origin_of_the_Fidai
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.