[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In the near future oceans became infested with self replicating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 7

File: Mine_(AWM_304925).jpg (69KB, 450x320px) Image search: [Google]
Mine_(AWM_304925).jpg
69KB, 450x320px
In the near future oceans became infested with self replicating highly advanced stealth naval mines that indiscriminately sink any man made vessel. It is expected that it may take more than 20 years to make seas safe again.

How fucked is everything?
>>
>>49783708
Well we'd have a hell of a lot of trouble getting oil anywhere, so America is %100 gonna eat itself. Other countries might fare better.
>>
The plane industry would boom.
>>
>>49784152
America with it's considerable natural resources ample food production and land boarders with important trading partners would probably survive more or less intact.
Island nation like Britain and Japan however are utterly fucked. I'd expect complete collapse into mass starvation and desperate civil war within a year
>>
>>49786436
the english channel is both narrow and shallow, it would be relatively easy to create and maintain safe passage, even with those super mines between the southern shore and several mainland ports (most likely dunkirk or zeebrugge)
>>
>>49784152
Only like 20% of America's oil comes from overseas.
>>
File: bikes.jpg (72KB, 704x480px) Image search: [Google]
bikes.jpg
72KB, 704x480px
>>49784152
>>49786436
The US and Canada are self-sufficient in oil and gas now, thanks to fracking.

The UK not so much but they've survived worse. Agricultural crops can be turned into ethanol and used in cars.

>>49783708
How the hell would these mines convert seawater to metals and explosives, exactly? Nanomagic, son?
>>
>>49786737
the mines are capable of converting ships into mines gaining a net profit of ships sunk even if multiple mines are detonated

to make things worse they also convert metallic shipwrecks

however as detection becomes better and the shipwreck resource gets depleted the mines can be halted

hence the 20 year period
>>
International shipping is fucked, so pretty much everything about globalized consumerism and trade is tanked.
>>
>>49786436
As others have said, the channel is pretty clearable, and Britain has survived worse. There's also the Channel Tunnel now too
>>
>>49783708
>>49786780
someone had to make/design the self replicating mines. what's stopping someone to make more self replicating mines that seek out the rogue replicating mines?
>>
>>49786887
Getting the mines though the design testing, and implemented and removing all the existing mines also takes 20 years.
>>
>>49786867
and interestingly enough apparently the belgian navy (of all countries, go figure) is entirely specialized in minehunting

so yeh UK's going to do alright
>>
>>49783708
Worldwide food problems because NO FISH. On the other hand fish populations would absolutely explode due to the lack of fishing. So not a complete loss I suppose.
>>
File: 1443342393445.jpg (183KB, 998x795px) Image search: [Google]
1443342393445.jpg
183KB, 998x795px
China basically seizes control of the Asian continent as their easy option to exploit Africa without going through the entirety of India and the middle east has been obliterated. This likely means a boarder dispute with either Russia, or India.

Russia has nuclear advantage, India has numeric advantage.

Russia meanwhile gets to bargaining real rough with it's land-based pipelines, probably starts extending a reach back into Eastern Europe and the Middle East by putting pressure on the EUs energy markets.

Zeppelins come back into style.
>>
>>49787030
so between its shipping lanes cut off and one of its primary foodsources gone

just how long until japan resorts to cannibalism?
>>
>>49784185
It's going to be rough on most of the world. All the Post-industrial economies are going to have to re-industrialize, only to reverse the process again once sea travel becomes viable again.

Industrial ones like China are going to hurt as they lose access to some of their biggest markets.

It's going to hurt net food importers the most though.
>>
>>49787054
>Zeppelins come back into style.
I'd want them too, because they're cool. But with only a 20 year time line. We wouldn't see too many before sea lanes are clear again.
>>
>>49787054
>Zeppelins
Smartest motherfucker in the room award goes to you.
>>
>>49787151
actually zeppelins are making a comeback both as luxury airliners (in an airborne cruise model) and as freight vehicles for difficult to reach areas
>>
>>49787065
Unless this happens basically tomorrow there won't be that many of them anyway, they'll manage on domestic rice and crickets.
>>
>>49783708
"western" Capitalism is dead, Silk road gets a huge revival, US is gonna US so will try to conquer the two americas, get bogged down and fail, then out of spite bomb civilians and whine how everyone hates them.
All in all a period nation states merging as bigger unions make more sense then.

Island nations and maybe Australia getting the stick.

Great for Africa, a nice respite from outside meddling.
>>
>>49787183
source?
I've been told "Zepplins are right around the corner!" since grade school.
>>
>>49783708

key word; Man-Made

I propose we kill and skin the FUCK out of sealife, strap whale/shark/fish/octopus bodies to a test vessel, and send it out into mine infested waters.

If successful and un-destroyed, then gentlemen we have our solution.
>>
>>49787252
>"western" Capitalism is dead, Silk road gets a huge revival, US is gonna US so will try to conquer the two americas, get bogged down and fail, then out of spite bomb civilians and whine how everyone hates them.
lol
Sounds like some major eurocuck fan wank.
>>
File: Automous Mobile Sword.jpg (25KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
Automous Mobile Sword.jpg
25KB, 600x400px
The most dangerous implication is the establishment of an autonomous, self-replicating weapon.

It's only a matter of time before some madman converts the process over to land or sky and you've got Terminator/Screamers apocalypse going down.
>>
>>49787252
Congrats, that's a remarkable amount of stupid packed into a single post.
>>
>>49787229
Japan nearly starved to death due to blockades in WWII
this would last vastly longer AND they'd no longer be able to fish

Japan is among the most fucked nations on the planet in this scenario, especially because their waters aren't nearly as easy to sweep as say the english channel
>>
>>49784185

Every boom precedes a crash with no survivors.

Of course, lighter-than-air craft might take off as more fuel efficient. This is mostly because I have a boner for Zeppelins.
>>
>>49786887
>what's stopping someone to make more self replicating mines that seek out the rogue replicating mines?

This is what caused the infestation in the first place.
>>
>>49787531
Yeah, but I've got a really good feeling about generation 5.
>>
>>49786737
The UK is unable to feed itself without imports, it's not going to start making ethanol on top.
>>
>>49787531
>"This time I got it guys. So the first time with the mines was a big problem, and I know the counter-mines didn't work as well as we'd hoped-
>But I've developed a THIRD strain of self-replicating mine that I think will solve this problem.
>>
>>49787252
Show me where the big bad 1st world country touched you on the doll, anon.
>>
>>49787252
You assume Africans won't just continue having fun fucking over other Africans.
>>
>>49786780
If that is the case then I propose that we make wooden sailing ships and send them out for the mines to sink, after all they can't replicate properly with wood.
>>
>>49787823
that's one of the reasons why the mines aren't permanent
you'll still have to deal with the infrastructural problem of creating large amounts of wooden ships in a short amount of time despite the knowledge to do so not having existed for over a hundred years
>>
>>49787626
>The mines run out of ships to sink.
>They build crab mines to go on land to find more ships to sink.
>>
>>49787584
This, 40% of the UK's food is currently imported. While the channel tunnel theoretically allows that to continue I very much doubt our almost as hungry neighbours in western Europe will have many crumbs to spare for Britain
>>
>>49787584
>>49788260
Except Britons are massively overfeed nowadays and don't need all that food. In an emergency of this magnitude there'd be rationing and food consumption (and waste) would drop dramatically, as it did during WW2. Also victory gardens, mass conversion and all that.

That's why I said they've been through far worse.
>>
>>49783708

So it's a grey-goo scenario, but with mines.

Anon, you don't understand how fucked things are. At a certain point, these things are going to be replicating faster than they can be safely eliminated.

That point is LONG PAST if they're infesting the oceans.

Absent ties to Russia improving enough to actually make a bridge between Yakutsk and Alaska, the eastern and western hemispheres are going to be isolated except for air travel.

Best case, rationing kicks in, harbors are kept clear, and eventually submarine cargoships become a thing. Until then, maybe airships and future dirigibles can bridge the gap.
>>
>>49786690
There's a fucking tunnel.
>>
>>49788487
Rationing still didn't stop the UK from being a net food importer in both world wars, it just became less of one.
>>
>>49787864
>What is a raft
>>
>>49787978
>Cities swarm with robotic crabs, carrying all boats and boat shaped objects back to the sea where they are immediately detonated by the slavering wall of mines.
>>
worldwide economic collapse

mass exodus from wealthy island nations and famines on less wealthy ones
>>
>>49787823
See, how do we know that? They're figured out how to make more of themselves and they don't even have hands.
>>
>>49783708
>self-replicating
Your premise works better with nano-bullshit. Especially if it can use plastic effluvium as raw materials, extract chemical energy from algae, and corrode ships with byproducts. The eating exploded boats idea is dumb. Your prey is at the surface but you've got to reproduce using shit at the sunless bottom of the ocean. The problem with fixing your premise is that there might be no solution to releasing organisms like this.

Local access to oil and coal becomes a bigger deal in the short term. Biofuels have really terrible energy in vs energy out, especially if you're using petrochemical based fertilizers. Transit has to lean heavily on trains. Young or sprawling cities with poor oil access will drastically reorganize their layout in response to market forces and maybe some top down imperatives to redistrict for the new reality. Localizing both resource production and manufacturing will drive some transitions. Consumer goods availability will depend more heavily on the continental meta rather than the global one. So a region rich in oil but poor in metal might keep using plastics, but the reverse might revert to paper, metal, and glass.

You might expect wars for resources, but anything you couldn't trade for would be just as hard to exploit militarily. That said, the economic collapse would still be dangerous. And eliminating the carriers and subs of military superpowers could open game changing options for the smaller powers of the world. So sectarian or power-motivated violence might rise.

Food importers are going to have either a hard fucking time or emigration. Refugees will likely have a hard time as pariahs after being gobbled up by a few economies hungry for surplus labor and technical know how. They'll only be accepted by those nations that firstly need localized manufacturing like yesterday, secondly recognize that need quickly, and thirdly have the wherewithal to suppress locals afraid of depressed wages and foreigners.
>>
>>49787252
>dumbest poster award
I bet youd vote for Bernie and call your che Guevara t sort wearing communist faggot friends "comrade"
>>
>>49783708
Boats would siwftly be replaced by Ekranoplans, until the mines redesign themselves to leap into the air.
Then we're fucked, until the mines decide to colonise the land for more resources once we're not giving them shipping. Then war will result.
>>
>>49787864
>you'll still have to deal with the infrastructural problem of creating large amounts of wooden ships in a short amount of time despite the knowledge to do so not having existed for over a hundred years
wot?

you do know wooden yachts are still a thing people build
>>
File: Yr8PTmj.jpg (65KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Yr8PTmj.jpg
65KB, 800x600px
>>49789379
It's like he doesn't know that people still build replicas of ancient ships, and even modern tallships.

I saw this the other day, built in the '90s.
>>
File: hindenburg.jpg (86KB, 991x587px) Image search: [Google]
hindenburg.jpg
86KB, 991x587px
>>49783708
It's a good day for rigid airships.
>>
>>49789482
Until they figure out that all the resources are airborne, and you end up with lighter-than-air balloon stealth mines.
>>
>>49787864
Carbon fibre works too.
>>
>>49789482
You want to blow us all to shit, Sherlock?
>>
>>49790464
or even just plastic and fibreglass.
>>
Airships
>>
File: b7478fff.jpg (18KB, 588x268px) Image search: [Google]
b7478fff.jpg
18KB, 588x268px
>>49790500
yes because since then we've decided against using aircraft that have vital sections filled with explosives.
>>
>>49784152
america is a net exporter of oil, dumbass.
>>49790500
you know that helium is 97% as bouyant as hydrogen, and inert..... right? and that all airships use helium... right? and that you are dumber than a nigger... right?

also modern airships already exist. there was a massive DARPA project during the iraq war for them and now there are several companies making them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b-qBoFku_o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JO76dkzV28k
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPEGXgUH_-U
>>
>>49791054
>america is a net exporter of oil, dumbass.
On the crude side, we import about a third of it.
>>
>>49791054
>Dumber than a nigger
Anon don''t insult that other anon like that he's not that retarded. The only thing more stupid than a damn dirty nigger are those abbo filth, and that's incredibly impressive
>>
>>49783708
Screamer
>>
>>49787283

This. It wouldn't even require some madman.
All it would take is imperfect replication, time, and natural selection for these things to start taking over the entire planet.
>>
>>49791054
And we're running out of Helium you Stupid boot licking skin head.
>>
>>49791623
No we're not, the US government has just messed up the market.
>>
>>49791623

>peak helium

Wew lad. Ban helium filled balloons.
>>
Well on the plus side, depleted fish stocks might recover.
>>
Sounds like it's time for Nuclear Powered Aircraft!

Or actually more like hydrogen powered aircraft that have nuclear plants near airports produce the power needed for hydrogen production. Though if you are willing to deal with the aircraft being incredibly radioactive which would require they are also unmanned, you could put a reactor on the plane itself, the main weight issues are related to the shielding anyway. However I doubt many nations would appreciate food delivered by radioactive aircraft.
>>
>>49791707
It's fairly rare on earth despite being one of the most common universal elements, most is aquired as a byproduct of petroleum and natural gas refining.
>>
>>49783708
My painstaking domestication of narwhals finally pays off.
>>
>>49791707
For real. If helium wasn't subsidized by the US government, children's helium balloons would be incredibly expensive. The real value of helium is much, much higher than what it is sold for currently.
>>
>>49791549
>mfw one imperfect replication gives us sentry busters.
Mother of god.
>>
>>49787258
Airlander 10 - it's a prototype, and they recently crashed it, because that's what you do with airships (and it's new, and not like any other airship, so they're basically learning as they go) but it's not major damage, and it's pretty sturdy, so they're fixing it

Still a long way to go, but it's a start
>>
>>49795218
>because that's what you do with airships
Can confirm, this is a thing you do with airships even in a tabletop game, if you haven't crashed the setting equivalent of an airship, it's not bee a 100% game.
>>
>>49795218
It wasn't really a 'crash'. It was more like smacking into a wall while parking. And since it's an airship, you just say 'whoops, my bad', turn up the throttle, and back it up with a tractor attached.
>>
>>49783708
Project Habakkuk 2, nuclear-electric floating igloo
>>
>>49795538
Fuck you my sides
>>
>>49783708
Less fucked than you think. Mines either explode very well once, or explode poorly repeatedly. Also, the purpose of mines is less conductive to the requirements of self-replication.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.