[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mark Rosewater has claimed that Kaladesh is his second favorite

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 10

File: 220px-MarkRosewater.jpg (16KB, 220x391px) Image search: [Google]
220px-MarkRosewater.jpg
16KB, 220x391px
Mark Rosewater has claimed that Kaladesh is his second favorite set. His first favorite set being Innastrad.

I wasnt playing Magic back when Innastrad was out, but from listening to Mark's Drive to Work podcast and reading the cards from the set I can see how it is one of the most well-constructed sets in Magic history.

So with that being said, would you guys say that Kaladesh ranks up there with Innastrad, as Mark believes? Or is Mark just jewing the Magic community?
>>
>>49776854
>InnAstrad
>>
>>49776854
For once I have to say I agree with Maro on something.

Innistrad a best.

I ragequit Magic when SoI happened.
>>
>>49776870
whoops. Yeah as you can tell im pretty new to all of this.

>>49776872
>I ragequit Magic when SoI happened.

what do you mean?
>>
Mark is absolutely 'just jewing the Magic community'.

I think he was the one who designed energy and is understandably excited about it finally seeing print, so I can see why he might really believe this is one of the best sets ever, but board states are generally too cluttered, removal is scarce and not particularly powerful, and 2 color archetypes are too clearly defined (this last point is contentious, I personally prefer more open draft environments where 2 color decks aren't pigeonholed into a specific archetype, but I will concede that current limited design does make for more distinction between color pairs in limited).

MMA1 is a fantastic draft environment in my opinion and I have fond memories of ONS ONS ONS, but that may be nostalgia talking. I wonder what Urza's block draft was like.
>>
>>49776854
Gearhulks are too strong as limited bombs
>>
>>49776984
Yeah, I mean in my limited experience with Magic I mostly have just played limited drafts. So far my Kaladesh drafts havent been over the top amazing like I would imagine an Innistrad draft would be.
>>
>>49776933
SoI and EMN were basically lore rape for the sake of being back the plane, the purpose behind the blocks were utterly stupid (Basically can be summed up as "Nahiri gets really really mad at Sorin") and the story shows. Not to mention the fact that it left Innistrad in a state where the Vampires have basically won

It really was awful.
>>
>>49777022
Oooh, shadows over innistrad.

Yeah I found it weird that Wizards would return to a plane so soon after releasing the original innistrad. I guess they just wanted to milk all of the money they could with hype.

And as I said before, I mostly play limited. I personally hated Delirium in a limited environment. I can see it working in a constructed environment but to me it was just a big hassle in limited.
>>
>>49776984
Most players like turn 10 games with a billion things on the board.
>>
I've really enjoyed the limited kaladesh experience, especially the 2HG sealed prerelease, that was a blast.
>>
>>49776984
What are the two color archetypes in draft this time around?
>>
I ragequit around Mirrodin but have still been shitposting about Magic on /tg/ for 10 years now. What makes Innistrad so great? Where is this podcast?
>>
>>49777625

I don't know about the podcast, but for reasons I have trouble explaining, Innistrad is my favorite set. I felt it was more fun than I've had with Magic before or since. And Dark Ascension only helped it, especially in the draft environment.

Two color archetypes were heavy, but there were ways to subvert them.
>>
>>49776854

>Listening to Mark "Shekelatog" Rosewater

Yeah, he is just trying to get you to buy more kaladesh.
>>
>>49777364
I feel the archetypes are more clan based in Kaladesh.
temur energy,
mardu cars,
abzan fabricate,
are all things I see people running at drafts.
>>
>>49776854
I started playing in Alara, but I'd say the blocks rank like this:

Innistrad > Return to Rav > Zendikar = Scars of Mirrodin > Alara > Battle for Zendikar > Tarkir> Kaladesh = Theros > Shadows Over Innistrad

Vehicles don't feel like MTG to me at all and Looter Scooter is way too pushed.The energy mechanic is fun but we all know WotC isn't going to support it again for years after this block. Fabricate is kind of bland.
>>
>head designed of MTG
>create shit set with shit mechanics
>create hype to make hasbro money
>>
>>49777274
1/100
>>
>49776854
It is maro, he is requiered to find the latest set "one of the best" for the sake of sales.

See battle for zendikar.. he talked about how great it was untill it went off sale, then he admitted that it is shit
>>
>>49776854
>Or is Mark just jewing the Magic community?
It's his job to make more fucking money by selling the new Block.
When he says something, anything, it's for that fucking purpose.
>>
File: 1429199451088.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1429199451088.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
>>49778747
>mardu cars
I am so down for The Fast and the Furious: Tarkir Drift
>>
>>49776854
funny enough, the first time I ever played magic was during innistrad and dark ascension and I quit just before the next set/block.
Now I'm interested in playing again and its now Kaladesh.

Coincidence?
>>
>>49779171

Quit while you are ahead anon.
>>
>>49778801
I'd dearly love to know why you rate Failure of Zendikar above Tarkir and SoI
>>
>>49776984
>I wonder what Urza's block draft was like.
it's been a while, but I remember it being pretty fun, if janky

Odessey block is objectively the best draft block, though.
>>
>>49776854
>Or is Mark just jewing the Magic community?

He's always doing that, that is his literal job.

That said, I do like Kaladesh, and I like it for many of the same reasons I liked Innistrad. The flavor is strong and clear, the cards describe clearly what sort of place Kaladesh is, the mechanics are evocative and fun. It's a complete opposite of shit like BoZ where I just hated the whole block because of its shitty flavor and unfun mechanics.

My main issue with Kaladesh (other than all the value being focused into one 2 mana-3/3 that's an automatic four-of in every deck) is that it doesn't feel like a plane. It feels like a city, and not even a particularly large one. It feels like whole Kaladesh is one town of about 100,000 inhabitants. That, and I wish the Jacetice League wasn't there, though I guess Chandra has to be given how it's her home plane and all.
>>
>>49776854
What I like about the set:
>More cool artifacts
>Coloured artifacts, especially green ones
>Green artificer druids, coolest shit ever
>Expedition cards, even though I probably won't get one
>Uncommon artifact lord
>That fox familiar card
What I don't like:
>Planewalkers eating up a billion mythic slots, fucking Nissa got two planeswalker cards in one set
>Gearhulks eating up mythic slots when most of them aren't even particularly good
>The set once again revolving around the obnoxious cluster fuck that is the Jacetice League
>All of the cards with fabricate feel lackluster no matter what mode you pick for them
>>
>>49783054
>>That fox familiar card

Solemn Pupper.
>>
>>49783054
>>Coloured artifacts, especially green ones

I wish they fucking stopped with that gimmick. Artifacts are supposed to be brown.
>>
>>49777016
New Phyrexia was the best draft of all time and fuck anyone who says otherwise.
>>
>>49783525
I preferred Scars-Besieged faction packs, but I had a lot of fun drafting New Phyrexia. Especially at the launch party.
>Moltensteel Dragon
>red Souleater
>Glistening Oil and Tainted Strike to give them Infect
>three Pith Drillers
It was so goofy.
>>
>>49783054
All right, I'll bite with my own likes and dislikes.
>Energy is fun as hell to build around, Electrostatic Pummeler is one of my favorite cards
>Artifacts everywhere make this a great set for other formats, like EDH
>Color artifacts are actually done right- they have color activated abilities but can be cast with anything
>Some great art, Peema Outrider is a favorite, the flavor/setting has a really cool feel, I can already feel myself making bad pet card decisions (Spontaneous Artist)
>Expeditions, of which I pulled one I'll never use and can now coast comfortably on store credit into Commander season
>Cool cards in basically every color- Aethertorch Renegade, Cultivator of Blades, Marionette Master, Authority of the Consuls, Insidious Will are the ones that come immediately to mind
>Smug camel

Dislike:
>Fabricate feels so small I barely even notice when a creature has it, and it's rare that you'd ever want the servos, especially with Fumigate around and less direct removal like Doom Blade
>Did we really need all these fucking planeswalkers? Did Nissa need to be here, like, at all? Should have been Chandra the Mind Sculptor and Saheeli only, really.
>No energy-based UR artificer in the set literally perfect for that, could have been the perfect ramp into Commander
>The planeswalkers aren't even generating that much hype in Standard, from what I've seen Chandra is the only one who sees use?
>Smuggler's Copter is fifteen bucks. I mean, since I'm already baited into spending money cracking packs like an idiot, that's actually fine, but still.
>Jacetice League is still fucking around, but at least they aren't the focus of every single card- Chandra kind of is but at least that makes sense
>>
>>49783402
Okay grandpa, time for bed
>>
>>49783836
>Fabricate feels so small I barely even notice when a creature has it, and it's rare that you'd ever want the servos, especially with Fumigate around and less direct removal like Doom Blade
This is the exact opposite of true, how bad ar-
>No energy-based UR artificer in the set literally perfect for that, could have been the perfect ramp into Commander
Oh you're entitled commander shitter, I see where the problem is now
>>
File: lego_wtf.jpg (8KB, 211x193px) Image search: [Google]
lego_wtf.jpg
8KB, 211x193px
>>49777022

You quit playing Magic solely based on lore?
>>
>>49784148
Think about all the energy and money Wizards expends NOT improving the game that is spent on making the lore appealing to people and providing papercraft at the prereleases instead of fucking pieces of paper we could use to play the game.
>>
>>49784207

I wonder how many people making ignorant assumptions about how a company works would be cured by being forced to work any job where efficiency matters ever.

If you need to move a table from point A to point B, and the table needs two people to carry it, you can't move the table twice as fast by cutting funding to an unrelated department and ordering four people to move it. You would know this if you weren't underage b& like everyone else in this thread.
>>
>>49784207

Dedicating resources to lore/settings and R&D are not mutually exclusive, nor does reallocating resources from one to the other guarantee that it will make the other better.

Also, fuck you, those paper thopters were awesome and the papercraft airships and thopters that the stores got were cool as well.
>>
>>49783054
>people still think those babys first planeswalker sets are counted as slots for the set
>>
>>49783836

>Fabricate feels so small I barely even notice when a creature has it

>Fabricate feels so small I barely even notice when a creature has it

Wait do you not play limited? Fabricate has been super tricky there, I've had multiple games where someone lost cause they fabricated incorrectly.
>>
>>49784436
>>49784416
Oh my fucking god, Limited is the cancer that is killing MTG
>>
>>49784207
R&D and the Art Developers are not the same guys. It doesn't matter if you move all the art guys into R&D where they don't know how to R&D, R&D's performance does not improve.
>>
>>49784436
Is it any surprise to you that none of these babbies now what they are talking about? The OP posts the same jew-bait thread every week and then samefags it constantly.

You will start to recognize the same shitposters in different threads if you pay attention.
>>
I wonder of for everyone the point where mtg started to go down hill was the block they started with. For me both were basically the same. Szarted with Onslaught, then came morrodi which was cool because of artifacts and kamigawa which was cool because of samurais and legends. But still they weren't dominaria and ravnica was absolute dogshit for me, which I couldn't give a fuck about. I just followed mtg afterwards on here and every block seemed to miss something, PLUS the cancerous shit that planswalkers became.
I generally liked what I've seen of Kaladesh though.
>>
>>49784207
>is spent on making the lore appealing to people

What kind of people?
>>
>>49776984
>board states are generally too cluttered, removal is scarce and not particularly powerful
These two things are why I hate how Magic currently plays. Wizards seems to have an obsession with printing worse counters, worse and worse kill spells at higher and higher rarity and, worst of all, a mix of creatures that make tokens when they come in and creatures with toughness higher than their power, meaning that creatures just bounce off rather than trade.

Put together what this means is that both players have no reason to really fear over-extending and just soggily shart their entire deck onto the table, set ever more complex and ever more meaningless blocking decisions because fucking everything survives combat unless you're triple blocking, then go to time in game 2 of a limited format. The amount of games I've seen go to time in Standard, Draft and Sealed recently (since BfZ really) has been absolutely fucking criminal.
>>
>>49776854
>>49776872
What's your favorite Innastrad card?

Mine is Triumph of Ferocity. unf.
>>
File: Ow_the_edge.jpg (63KB, 400x366px) Image search: [Google]
Ow_the_edge.jpg
63KB, 400x366px
>>49785901
>>
>>49785935
Is it less edgy if I imagine being Lily?
>>
>>49785976
So you're a gay sub? Not really edgy in that case, just kinda how you are. Enjoy?
>>
File: 55MWqhs.png (256KB, 552x464px) Image search: [Google]
55MWqhs.png
256KB, 552x464px
>>49781895
>Odyssey block
>>
>>49787238
Why do you assume gay?
>>
>>49787742
Everyone on 4chan is gay.
>>
>tfw when you will never again draft LOR LOR LOR because the Magic's rise popularity meant more retards joined the game and they only like "yeah big monsters! oh man so dark and cool !!"

Nothing is worse.
>>
>>49784603

I started in Prophecy as a kid and saw Time Spiral as probably the best Magic block. When Shards came out I quit due to losing interest and having other college stuff going on. I thought some of Shards was cool but, looking through Gatherer, aren't really drawn in by most of the new stuff. The art especially is embarrassingly digital except for a few pieces. Planeswalkers are way too gimmicky and trite - though the magic story was never really outstanding, the current crop of protagonists are godawful, and a lot of the "magic" is lost in the fact that planeswalkers are now a dime a dozen.
>>
>>49788890
Well, by some definitions...
>>
>>49785901
DELVER
E
L
V
E
R
>>
I came in around Shadows so I am quite new, but I've been going back over the older sets and original Innistrad is by far my favourite.
>>
>>49789050
The players themselves take on the role of planeswalkers. Making planeswalker cards doesn't cheapen them so much compared to that.
>>
>>49789980
Sounds pretty gay. and I'm ok with that
>>
>>49783054
>>Coloured artifacts, especially green ones
AAAAAAAA WHY DO PEOPLE LIKE THIS IT COMPLETELY GO AGAINST THE POINT OF ARTIFACT
>>
>>49791351
It's pretty small fry compared to devoid going against the point of Eldrazi.
>>
>>49778213
>Dark Ascension only helped it

Okay you have to be trolling right? Right? Oh god please.
>>
>>49776854
considering everything after the scars of mirrodin block is literally cancer, except the return to ravnica block and thats only for DRS and a few other things, everything else is complete shit, holy fuck all the stuff you lot like are bad.
>>
>>49776854
>I can see how Kaladesh is one of the most well-constructed sets in Magic history.
>I wasnt playing Magic back when Innastrad was out
OPINION
DISCARDED
>>
File: mtg thalakos deceiver.jpg (69KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
mtg thalakos deceiver.jpg
69KB, 480x680px
I bet Tempest block would have been fun to draft.
>>
File: Buu.png (77KB, 336x187px) Image search: [Google]
Buu.png
77KB, 336x187px
>>49777022
>mad about SoI
>when fucking RtR happened

>flanderized guilds
>world reads as a kids impression of Ravnica
>Hey this mild intrigue turns out it's a FUCKING MAZE
>"the depth of the world is unhappy with the guilds so there's this gateless movement, an semi organized party, a guild basically"
>Jace wipes his own mind so as to not get involved, gets involved to figure out why he wiped his own mind
>GO RUN THE MAZE KIDS
>Jace connects all the maze runners to each other and a nuke button and MAGICALLY NONE OF THE RAKDOS DIMIR SELESNYA ORZHOV GRUUL MEMBERS PRESENT DO ANYTHING THEY'RE WERE AND/OR ARE NOW CAPABLE OF THAT WOULD BE THE BEST FUN/THEY CAME HERE TO DO/TAKEOVER/MANIPULATE/FUCKING ESTROY IN THE NAME OF FUCK YOU
>FUCKING MAZE
>SATURDAY MORNING CARTOON BULLSHIT
>>
>>49791561
>>flanderized guilds
>>world reads as a kids impression of Ravnica
This is what Magic is like now. The storyline has to be about Beefcake Gids, the Jacetice League, etc, not cool worlds. Remember, Maro is literally basing it off superhero comics, with a dash of SJW "diversity" and "representation" thrown in to satisfy the Question Marks on his tumblr.
>>
Somehow energy doesn't suck. The mechanic could have easily been terrible but it plays really well, so that's something.

I have to give Kaladesh points for actually having a lot of cards worth building around (or at least trying to build around).

Every Standard season in recent memory has been way too railroaded in deck design - whereas this seems a lot more open. Sure, not everything can be Tier 1, but at least you have different things to work with. You have your choice of things like Metalwork Colossus, Aetherworks Marvel, Panharmonichron, Ghirapur Orrery, Vehicles, Pummeller & friends, Marionette Master, Metallurgic Summonings...all very different decks and they want (mostly) different things.

Comparing Kaladesh to BFZ or SOI isn't even fair in terms of what is "playable".

Misses:
- Fabricate feels like it could have easily just been the Thopter effect from Origins
- Vehicles are mechanically sound, but Smuggler's invalidates using anything else
- Gearhulks are uninspired mythics
>>
>>49791444
>one of the
>>
>>49791661
I always figured Fabricate only made thopters until late in design.
I assume someone started screaming about hornet queen and green fabricate.
>>
>literally cannot play standard for an entire year without having a play set of smugglers copter
>good
honestly fuck that guy
>>
limited is awesome, everything else about the set is either shit or meh
>>
>>49791661
the thing that annoys me about energy is that it is useless in every format aside from standard and limited. hopefully they will add to it in later sets but it will probably have no additions after this set for years to come knowing wisards
>>
>Things I like:
-Filagree Familiar is really neat, and I like those lands
-some of the art isn't super awful
-there seem to be some fringe playable EDH cards in this set
-red and green gearhulks seem pretty splashy, much to my surprise

>Things I didn't like:
-the art style is thematically awful. Steampunk in india? Sure whatever, kind of neat. This focus on planeswalkers? Absolutely awful. Diabolical Tutor sums up everything that pisses me off about it.
-the lore is about as bad as writing is capable of being. Holy shit is it bad, I know for a fact I could write it better. Actual 14 year olds could write it better.
-the pricing on non-eternal playable cards is hilarious and continues to be hilarious
>>
>>49791839
>Steampunk in india?
the best part about it is most of india isnt even close to being as advanced as basic steam punk
>>
>>49791908
>All I know about India is 4chan memes
>inb4 Pajeet
>>
>>49784284
>If you need to move a table from point A to point B,
False equivalence. A closer likeness would be that WotC is a table manufacturing company, and they have two teams to make sure that the tables are the best they can be, one team to make sure that they look as good as they can, and one team that makes up stories about their tables in case Pixar wants the movie rights.

What anon is saying is that the money spent on paying the people in the last team would be much better spent on hiring more or better people for any of the other teams.
>>
>>49783210
AKA Pedigree Pup, AKA Fancy Fox.
>>
>>49793570
Okay, but that's a shitty analogy because tables don't need story. Magic is better because it has lore and flavour. Unless you're 100% Melvin and would play Magic if cards had numbers instead of names and no artwork at all.
>>
>>49794336
Well, I mean, artwork is handy in that it makes identifying cards easier, but other than that I don't care about it.
>>
>>49791561
Being fair, the Gateless were the worst possible thing to do to Ravnica, and forgetting them as soon as they came up was the right move to do.
>>
>>49794347
Then the lore is not for you, but don't be shitty that Wizards spends money to give people who aren't you something they are invested in.
>>
>>49791908
>>49792255
Kinda racist that they deliberately excluded British themes from Kaladesh, but kept loads of British culture anyway, like nor burning your wives. Cultural appropriation.
>>
>>49792255
Actually Indians and SJWs have criticized Kaladesh for not representing India properly, so it's hardly just 4channers expecting more shit on the streets, not that that wouldn't be realistic.
>>
>>49795161
I don't think it'd be too flattering if they had Kaladesh try to represent India properly.
>>
>>49795191
Indeed, which makes them rather hypocritical for saying they took Britain out because colonialism = evil.
>>
>>49787742
>I'm a grill btw
>>
>>49776854
Time Spiral, OG Ravnica were best
>>
>>49797510
No, I just wish I was, so it barely really counts as gay to like guys.
>>
File: 1460865247429.png (397KB, 747x464px) Image search: [Google]
1460865247429.png
397KB, 747x464px
>>49776854
Wow that's cool Mark except the top 5 Magic the Gathering Sets are:

>5. Shards of Alara
>4. Khans of Tarkir
>3. Lorwyn
>2. Time Spiral
>1. Innistrad

Really these are just facts.
>>
>>49798097
>Lorwyn
>Alara
Other than that, good list
>>
>>49798124
I like the Shards, I like fairy tales. I can't relent here, sorry.
>>
The Golden Era of Magic: Ravnica -> Time Spiral
>>
>>49800374
You mean Onslaught to Ravnica.
>>
The only sets I ever actually drafted were Theros block because I went to a lot of anime conventions then and I drafted whenever I got the chance because they usually got some mid-sized vendor for the convention, even though I started in Kamigawa.
Theros seemed pretty shit for constructed but I had a good draft experience, I just drafted Green/White midrange and that usually won games while still feeling fun and interactive. Just my two cents
>>
>>49794336
>agic is better because it has lore and flavour
No. The game doesn't actually get any better because of the story associated with the cards and the names and art only serve the highly utilitarian purpose of make my the cards easier to distinguish. Even if the creative team was fired tomorrow and replaced by monkeys the game would still be just as good.
>>
>>49805693
t. someone who has absolutely no idea how game design works
>>
>>49805806
I'm afraid I know and spend far too much time thinking about game design. Fact of the matter is, however, that favor and story doesn't make the game play any better. It might make people more exited about buying the cards, but it doesn't have any effect on the gameplay what so ever.
>>
>>49800374
I think you mean Alpha to Ice Age.

Mid 2000s era Magic is Silver Age.
>>
>>49806223
The actual mechanics of a game are not the only parts to it. There are many aesthetics of play, and mechanics are only one of them. Story/narrative/immersion are another. Even if it doesn't make the mechanics any more fun, it makes the simple act of playing more enjoyable.

Its thinking like that which gave us the waves of mediocre corridor shooters of the 2000's, and the mediocre sandboxes of the 2010's.
>>
>>49800374
Mirridon -lorwyn
>>
>>49776854
A month from now someone will have made a broken energy deck, and he'll be taking about all of the design fuck ups in Kaladesh and how bad the set is. As usual.
>>
>>49798097
>Khans
Yeah because I love me some Meme Rhino.
>>
>>49800374
Onslaught-Innistrad
>>
The combo of the jacetice league shit-tier writing alongside back to back to back "hey let's shit out counters" blocks and the absolute fuckery of shitting up standard by having three 2-set blocks so I barely have time to enjoy a deck before it rotates made me desire to have exactly nothing to do with the game anymore. It's a perfect storm of pure shit.
>>
>>49778837

He's not wrong though. Competitive players like the 5-8 turn games, but once you start getting into casual (which is where the vast majority of their money is made), longer games where you get to pull out your super cool (but wildly inefficient) card are generally more popular.
>>
>>49776854

It's Kamigawa all over again.

A decade from now, we'll all be talking about how it had pretty awesome flavor and art, but the mechanics were kinda shit and don't interact particularly well with anything else.
>>
>>49791561

Magic lore has gone to shit ever since they introduced New Walkers.

What they did to Planeswalker's power levels was fucking criminals. They're just glorified task mages these days.
>>
>>49791742

I still don't know how the fuck that got through R&D.

How the hell did they create the card and everyone just goes "Oh, yeah, that's fine. This card is absolutely properly costed."
>>
>>49803476

I just wish Kamigawa hadn't been so fucking incestuous in it's mechanics.

It destroys me to know we're never going to revisit the plane because the designers did a shit job with it. It's artwork is fucking amazing and I still pull out cards to just look at 'em.

The Kami did "strange and bizarre" even better than the Eldrazi did.
>>
>>49794355
Oh absolutely; I'm entirely mad because they made a guild for the guildless.
>>
>>49807149
Fiction writers in general, but American one's especially, have this weird idea that it's impossible to write interesting stories about characters that are "too powerful". It's not "relatable".

However, as anyone who has read a story about godlike beings written by a competent writer, or anyone who is competent themselves, that's just not true. It was especially not true in old Magic lore as the story was told in layers. Planeswalkers were rarely the center of attention; instead we were told the story from the perspective of people like Gerrard, while the Planeswalkers we met were far more interesting and bizarre than the dull fucks we have to live with now. In one of the old books we met a planeswalkers who took the form of a mansion for christs sake. When have we ever seen a neowalker do anything even remotely as strange and cool? I mean, I sure as hell don't get why you would want to be a house, but it rings true as something an immortal being that can do whatever it wants might do.

Neowalkers on the other hand are the worst of both worlds as they are not capable of being movers and shakers in a believable fashion at the same time as they aren't nearly as relatable as the old human, or human-like, protagonists.
>>
>>49795161
SJW criticizing something is as common as the water being wet.
>>
>>49800374
Ravnica->TimeSpiral->Lorwyn
Every archetype was playable, you weren't forced to play X card if you were on Y color and they designed Standard by ADDING good cards instead of REMOVING good cards.

It's funny how did they shape this standard to make people play artifacts. Instead of printing good artifacts, they made almost every artifact destruction unplayable. You can't play Shatter nor Naturalize in this type2 anymore!.
>>
>>49810223
This is really my main problem with modern set design. It isn't up to the players anymore to figure out what works because you often don't have access to the tools to even make the choice in the first place. Most "safety valves" as Wizards calls them are printed in the block/set after a potential threat.

Not to mention that land destruction "isn't fun" and burn that goes to the face "isn't interactive"...
>>
>>49810297

Land destruction isn't fun. Magic is a tabletop game like Settlers of Catan. Why do you insist on not letting the other player play the game. Do you like things not happening? Winning in a game is not important, if the game is not enjoyable for both players.
>>
>>49776854
>fabricate being a boring mechanic
>energy is literally "splice into the arcane volume 2 electric boogaloo" in everything but standard and muh limited
>archetypes are too babbified
>the story for this set is jacestice league faggotry again
>gearhulks are like watered down titans
>Masterpiece collection as a whole
>one of the mythics is literally a green uncommon only its numbers are doubled because mythic$$$

This set is embarrassed to be on the same planet as OG Innistrad
>>
>>49806947
Triple khans drafts were amazing and the set overall was pretty cool. Even in standard it allowed a lot of different powerful archetypes.

>>49811245
>Do you like things not happening? Winning in a game is not important, if the game is not enjoyable for both players.

You are literally the worst kind of person. You are actually so much of a faggot you probably work at WotC right now.
>>
>>49811245
Looking at standard right now we have:

>no good face burn
>no good hasty red guys
>no good counterspells
>no good blue draw spells
>no good ramp spells
>no land destruction
>no ANY kind of hate spells
>no good combos

I'm kinda worried by 2020 WotC will have successfully dumbed down every deck to be 35 Seige Rhinos and 25 Lands
>>
>>49811245
>Land destruction isn't fun.
Oh yes it is. Sounds to me like you've never pulled the ol' Kormus Bell, Urborg Tomb, Elesh Norn combo and laughed manically while your opponent goes `Wait, what happens?" There's nothing wrong with stax, or land destruction, as long as you use it as a finisher, and can shortcut to a wincon relatively quickly after you've blown everything up. What your describing is some asshole dropping a hard lock lategame, but being too stupid to drop something that actually wins the game, thus forcing you to durdle for 10+ turns while he tries desperately to find his wincon.

This has less to do with land destruction being "unfun", and more to do with shitty players doing dumb things.
>>
>>49811354
Nothing stops you from building your optimal LD/counterspell decks. You don't even need a second player, you can just imagine all those cards not being played.
>>49811454
>He said X, so I will lump X, Y, Z, A, B, C together to make him look like an idiot.

You are better than that, anon. I said nothing about the health of standard.
>>
>>49811518 #
People hate counterspells and LD.

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/latest-developments/poll-position-2005-06-10 April 22.

Wizards won't sacrifice customers just so a small set of guys can mlaugh maniacally". Games need to be interactive and fun for both parties. Competitive magic is a meme - a marketing tool made to sell individual cards for 60$ to a bunch of spergs who NEED to win a card game about teenage medieval Power Rangers and elves.
>>
>>49811245
>Land destruction isn't fun.
It isn't fun when you spam it like a faggot. There's nothing wrong with running a couple of land destruction (or hate spells, since they're hated as much as land destruction) in your deck if it's a viable strategy of your deck. If you made a pure land destruction/hate deck and only used it a couple of times a year, I would be fine with that. If you use said deck constantly, then you're a faggot.
>>
>>49811655

You know how standard works right? There are only 2~3 viable decks every rotation. If one ofbthem would be a LD deck the format would become abandoned for a year.
>>
>>49806910
So since he (or rather his team, with Richard Garfield) made a set a solid as Innistrad, he now compares every new set he directs to Innistrad to generate the hype?

>>49807199
I love Eastern themes more than anything but unfortunately both blocks that feature Eastern theme areas are garbage. You have Kamigawa with it's low-powered cards and weird flip mechanic, then the Khans block has the clunky three color stuff.
>>
>>49811688
I know how standard works, I just don't play standard. Sadly, I should of read the earlier comments, because I thought that you meant that LD/CS/Hose decks are not fun and should not be viable at all. That's my fault, and I'm the idiot. However, I still stand by the decision that LD/CS/Hose are fine if they're regulated and not commonly used.
>>
File: 1468394695799.jpg (80KB, 630x603px) Image search: [Google]
1468394695799.jpg
80KB, 630x603px
>>49811645
>article from 2005
>completely ignored my point
>instead made a strawman and filled it with ad hominem
Doesn't surprise me. You realize that you can buy half decent mld dirt cheap, right? I believe FtV: Annihilation is objectively the least expensive FtV. Fracturing Gust is the most expensive individual single and that shit is $11.99 in canadian dollery doos.

New players dislike mld because they don't understand what happened, and lack the resources to prevent it, much like with counterspells. Once they get beyond drafting the newest set and playing standard with their friends, generally they ease off on this sort of thing, particularly if they also play EDH. This is a problem in terms of ideology; the more people parrot a sentiment, the more uninformed people believe that it's true. The only time MLD is unfun is if it comes out within the first few turns, and your opponent has no intention of winning quickly, like you tastefully ignored.
>>
>>49811245

Land Destruction wasn't that big of an issue when people would play with fast mana cards, land ramp and mana rocks. It was only an issue in casual games and the old mulligan rule forcing people to keep a hand if it had at least one land in hand. I agree that cards like Armageddon shouldn't be played anymore but cards like Wasteland or Stone Rain are fine to actually have.

Land destruction is also needed to take care of powerful nonbasic lands like manlands or key piece lands(Valakut, Tolarian Academy)
>>
>>49791625

Remember, he believes Ice Age should have been its own plane. Because planes need to be little theme park rides that you can hop on and hop off and everything stays roughly the same.
>>
Is the 'MaRo is just a scapegoat' thing even relevant anymore? The guy actually seems like a dribbling moron.

>>49807096
>A decade from now, we'll all be talking about how it had pretty awesome flavor
Kaladesh is as paper-thin as Theros without likeable characters or even a serviceable plot, and the entire set is focused around a single city. Ravnica gets away with it because the entire planet is a city. Fiora gets away with it because nobody gives a shit. Kaladesh has no excuse.
>>
I hate what they've done with the neowalkers so much.

When they announced Planeswalker cards and changing them to Neowalkers, I thought to myself "Well, this could be neat, a chance to introduce a bunch of new characters and mix and match them."

I didn't fucking realize it just meant that they were turning the lore into a god damn soap opera where nothing every happens. It's awful. They need to create more Walkers and let the others take a break sometimes.

Also, if I never see Jace ever again, it will be too soon.
>>
>>49815054
>The guy actually seems like a dribbling moron.
He's a major spokesperson for WotC. He has to act like he fully agrees with and supports whatever they decide to do even if he's against it behind the scenes.
>>
>>49791527
Tempest block is kinda weird to draft. People tend to look at the shadow creatures and all the other aggressive cards in the format and think that it is proto-Zendikar, but you also had cards like Rolling Thunder and Capsize at common which meant that you could easily draft glaciar slow control.
>>
>>49811245
>Why do you insist on not letting the other player play the game. Do you like things not happening?
You aren't a fan of blue, are you?
>>
>>49816142
As a guy that doesn't play blue, and not necessarily having an issue with control beyond getting a little rustled when I get a player just controlling to waste time, didn't blue used to have shit like Ninjitsu to make their participation in combat weird and funky?

Does that still happen?
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.