[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /tg/. Can you tell me how to do giants right, especially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 9

File: Quadrupedal_Titan.png (618KB, 485x485px) Image search: [Google]
Quadrupedal_Titan.png
618KB, 485x485px
Sup /tg/. Can you tell me how to do giants right, especially as enemies?
I was thinking of putting them into my game but not as a playable race.
>>
>>49773141
Fuckhuge person who doesn't see you as another person at all. Either he goes about his life and you are in his way or you're trying to rob his house and are a pest to him. You can also give him a taste for human flesh, either gobbling you up whole or grinding your bones to make bread.

Usually solitary. Occasionally cohabitates with horrible wife.
>>
>>49773141

Here's how the big G did it:

greyhawkgrognard.blogspot.co.nz/2011/06/giants-bag.html
>>
>>49773261

Troll/giant wives tend to be beautiful and human-sized.

Don't ask me how it works.
>>
>>49773400
>the giant has a minigirl fetish
>>
>>49773400
Giants got tiny dicks, so they overcompensate by wrecking shit. Especially shit belonging to the smaller, mostly-human races, since they tend to have fairly large dicks relative to their body mass.
>>
>>49773400
Maybe I'm confusing them with ogres and the devil, but a lot of stories give the big brute asshole a nagging wife who conspires against him with the protag.
>>
>>49773400
>>49773510
In retrospect it's often a grandmother, isn't it.
>>
>>49773400
Giants had giant wives. The only story about a beautiful Troll was that one where the knight rescues her and knocks her up. But I believe that she was unique in her beauty.
>>
>>49773510
I think their wives usually tend to be assholes, but there's at least one story where they're trying to help out their husband. Also, they're usually smarter and more likely to be magic, which would make them a pain to the average adventuring party.

Giant wives OP for CR please nerf.
>>
>>49773141
imo the best way to do big (>20ft tall) giants is to have them be intelligent and civilized, but so ancient and slow to act that they don't really play a role in world events except in very rare circumstances. They spend most of their time sleeping/hibernating in caves and mountains, under hills, and in great forests. But when they awake - for whatever reason - their presence is felt. Personality-wise you can have them run the gamut of human personalities. They could view the small races with fascination, annoyance, or even protectiveness.

For giants that are closer to human size it's easy enough to just make them another race, albeit not a playable one.
>>
File: 1476289527637.jpg (252KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1476289527637.jpg
252KB, 1920x1080px
>>49773380

You realise the "big G" is godzilla, right?
>>
File: 1476289602044.jpg (1MB, 1920x2233px)
1476289602044.jpg
1MB, 1920x2233px
>giants slaves wat do?
>>
File: 1476289737902.jpg (479KB, 1920x1074px)
1476289737902.jpg
479KB, 1920x1074px
>>49773537
>Giants had giant wives

What if giants had giant ants for wives?
>>
>>49773861

watchyourselfaroundhalflings.jpg
>>
>>49773141

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqQH4dqS2SY
>>
I like my giants to be of the 13-15 ft variety so they can be PC races. Then again that assumes the rest of the world is appropriatly scaled to allow them to exist as well as fuck hueg Monsters
>>
It depends on how Giant.

So, how large here? Personable? Larger-Than-Life? Continental?
>>
>>49774062
OP here.
Whatever size you want. From 2.80 metres on.
>>
>>49773850

Well, Gygax had many talents.
>>
>>49773141
giants are super rare for the simple fact that they need to eat most of everything the surrounding area produces. for this reason they also don't socialize much; they need to live far away from eachother and the smaller folk are scared of being eaten. they have basic conversational skills and mental aquity but little opportunity to use either and so tend to be a little slow.

though they're immune to most harm little men can dish out they're far from invulnerable. an organized effort of sufficient amounts of properly determined people can kill them through exhaustion and starvation, as well as through some cleverer means like traps, ballistae and trickery, though none of those make for a reliable plan. this potential trouble causes them to avoid civilization unless desperate, and typical perception of them is a wandering disaster or an unfortunate end to lost travelers.

depending on the lay of the land they may be able to settle down and set up some kind of agriculture. this would either lead to a situation where they don't produce enough, and have to go hungry, rob the neighbors or take to nomadism again or one where a relatively small amount of surplus is nevertheless enough to be a fortune in the eyes of those who consume less. a giant in such a position may indeed become quite sociable and well-respected; fortune will do that to you. it would be natural for him to even take part in local politics as a mogul and guardian, seeking to protect this fortune from other giants, adventurous humans or some local calamity. this going as it would, he might gather up a considerable treasure from gifts and other sources through the decades. the locals would also be dragged into a different kind of politics as their needs would become linked to the giant's. perhaps he wants to leave to find a wife? they'll lose their protector, and the whole thing cold take years! perhaps they'd try to convince him to settle for some beautiful human woman instead.

(cont. maybe.)
>>
Make them hillbilly as fuck. Go watch 'The Hills Have Eyes' and use that as your template. Giants should be fucking terrifying to humans.
>>
>>49773141
I really like the giants of Warhammer.
They may have been a mighty and majestic race in ages past, but now they live on the fringes of the world, and are so few in number that they've been inbreeding excessively for thousands of years.
>>
>>49773141
I quite like to treat really large enemies using the system's rules for traps or environmental hazards, it usually makes the encounters more about avoidance or disabling the giant instead of fighting toe-to-toe
>>
>>49773141

Do they have to be an enemy, though? Why can't we have a giant ally?
>>
>>49774370
I have never heard of it done that way, please tell me more
>>
>>49773141

Imagine the human race, with all their own personal ambitions and pettiness. Now give them the size and the power to accomplish those ambitions as long as they pick on people smaller than them.

Most people are smaller than them.

Bam, giants.
>>
>>49774406
Most giants from mythology and fairytales are evil
In-game having a giant as an ally would be too useful
Most people who put giants in for fetish purposes are going to want them to be violent

That said, I wish reasonable giants got more screen time in fantasy. Hopefully that new Disney movie will shake things up a bit.
>>
>>49774444
so for example in D&D3.5e I once portrayed a giant using the trap rules, so the way that this giant could attack is either by swinging his arms or by just bulldozing whatever's in front of him, so I use the stats of a pendulum trap for the arms, and a rockfall trap for the crushing steps. Anywhere he moves to is affected as though by a rockfall trap for that round (with the same saving throws and damage maybe increased or decreased depending on size) and every round I choose a line of squares adjacent to him which are affected as though by a pendulum trap for that round. The giant himself also counts as elevated terrain.
>>
>>49774250
giants know the value of magical items, gold and other trinkets, but this must be adjusted to their larger needs and difficulty of making trade. they'll pick up the legendary magic sword, but it's far too small to make an effective weapon and a town big enough to even pay its whole value is probably a little far from where the giant would like to be. if he's going hungry he may just walk into whatever place is nearest and trade it for a few cows, and yet if he's doing better eventually he may just end up carrying a sizable fortune with nowhere to sell it.

trading and otherwise dealing with giants is a tricky proposition: they can be interested and convinced like any other, but their personalities have not been shaped by the typical civilization-dweller experiences, such as not eating people. if their interests are not properly met, they may end up just eating you instead. even once an agreement is secured, they're note quite as bound by the idea of social events having consequences. once your dealings are concluded their interest may turn to eating you again, though they'd feel quite bad about it, but eventually they'd just forget about it like one would accidentally stepping on an animal. a giant might even eat another giant, though this they stigmatize a little more, even if only because they'd fail to eat most of the carcass before it spoils. most meals being a single bite, giants tend to eat everything quite fresh.

a giant can be convinced to temporarily join an army or other fighting force through extraordinary promises or an economically powerful force. though they are happy to fight almost anything straight up, campaigns that become slowed or otherwise difficult would quickly cause them to entertain thoughts of rather untrustworthy behavior, up to desertion in face of reasonable amounts of trouble or even straight up treachery. loyalty is not an idea that makes a great deal of sense to them.

(cont)
>>
>>49774558
Really interesting, friendo. I guess I'll use it.
Many thanks from OP.
>>
>>49774558
This sounds like how the encounter would play out in Dungeon World - large monsters' prowess is often measured in how many rolls of Defy Danger you have to make at before you can get close enough to stick yer weapon in them.

So in both your style and the DW style of GMing, getting into melee with a giant revolves around avoiding a few major, active threats as cunningly as possible.

It's interesting! Thanks for the suggestion.
>>
Would a giant have something like a pet mammoth which it sees as a friendly, docile puppy?
>>
>>49774964
>skyrim
intradasting n original ideeur, anon
>>
>>49774336
the Banner clan from Old Man Logan.

but bigger, meaner, fouler, faster, hungrier. raw animal cunning, with some genuine intelligence despite the inbreeding. ambush predator, no mercy, mercy leaves you with an empty belly.
>>
>>49773939
Is this movie any good? Those giants look radical but any good looking movie can turn out shit.
>>
>>49774555
might have a Giant ruling or guarding a city, then they can't leave to aid PCs but they are an ally
>>
>>49775732
it's a fun romp, not a serious or super memorable movie
>>
>>49773141
>the Beast Titan is Eren's half-brother
>the world outside the walls is thriving and heavily reminiscent of nazi Germany
>the series could very well end with titans vs tanks and planes
AoT's pacing is shit but damn this last chapter was good
>>
>>49776582
You know, we actually have spoiler tags here.
>>
>>49773141
>>
>>49773141

Giants are portrayed as really big humans, but also with amazing deformities like extra limbs, heads, hideous face, etc. They love to eat human flesh also.

Interestingly, and perhaps a key point, is that giants are said to have no outstanding weakness. That is to say no special rule is ever mentioned. Giants are intelligent, strong, and have none of the good seen in humanity.

I think giants are supposed to be metaphors for people garnering so much power that they lose their sense of mercy or compassion.
>>
>>49773861
Thats such an interesting idea, I had never considered having giants be a slave race.
>>
>>49779578
>Thats such an interesting idea, I had never considered having giants be a slave race.
Considering that most fantasy settings portray giants as dumb brutes, it makes more sense than you think that humans would try to enslave/domesticate them. The main issue would be feeding them. It costs a lot more to feed a large omnivore than an herbivore of the same size. For really big giants you would probably need some kind of extensive conditioning to keep them from hurting people or breaking things, even accidentally. They would need to be constantly aware of their surroundings, have very fine motor control, and good balance on top of deep set inhibitions against disobeying or harming their masters.

This story (http://giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=4558&chapter=1) gives some detail to how it might work in a sci-fi setting. It's really cute, too.
>>
>>49773141
Disclaimer: I play d&d.

Since in D&D giants tend to get smarter as they get bigger giants assume the smaller someone is the less intelligent they are. Humans are smaller than Ogres, and Ogres are dumber than a whole sack of dog assholes.
>>
>>49779718
>literally a fetish site
>>
>>49780315
>what is 4chan.org
>>
File: Giants.png (83KB, 985x494px) Image search: [Google]
Giants.png
83KB, 985x494px
>>49773141
I wrote this the last thread like this I saw on /tg/. Now though I would say this is the 'traditional' giant and you should probably do something like SnK if you want to be more distinctive and current.
>>
File: 1471570641263.png (3MB, 1296x1812px)
1471570641263.png
3MB, 1296x1812px
>>49774406
Communication difficulties, mostly.
>>
>>49783746
that is melancholy, and very 70's fantasy.
>>
You could make it to where they are close to extinction because of something they did.
>>
>>49784379
Yeah it's outdated now I think. You can still do it and have it be good, but everyone familiar with fantasy tropes probably knows it already.
>>
>>49784656
You think?
I think most people know giants only as large humans sometimes with lower intelligence. Maybe for those that grew up in the 70's it's different.
>>
>>49784656
most fantasy giants are borderline retards and or cannibalistic savages. this made them much more noble. maybe its because I'm from the south, but the notion of fallen empires and lost causes is something that appeals to me.
>>
>>49785944
Well, I wrote it and I didn't grow up in the 70s ;^)

>>49786360
Kek. I guess what I mean is, D&D comes with a lot of those ideas packed in with its storm, stone, cloud, whatever giants. And it's something that's difficult to convey, right? You need to do work over time to get that across in a game, whereas a brutish cannibalistic giant or SnK-style plague of giants is very easy to get across.
>>
>>49773400
Why?
>>
>>49787884

Myths are weird.

The reasons might be symbolic, or metaphorical of something or other, or it might be the result of new beliefs being layered on top of older ones, one after another. It's hard to say without a lot of knowledge and analysis of the relevant myths and religious beliefs, and we've only got fragmentary sources to work with on a lot of this stuff.
>>
>>49779752

I had not considered this aspect of giants.

Except for some non-ogre giantkin that screw the curve it holds pretty true.
>>
File: 1473524386764.jpg (261KB, 768x1073px)
1473524386764.jpg
261KB, 768x1073px
>>49775136
Not that anon but while hardly original I think it is interesting and makes sense that some giants would raise animals even just as a supplement for their foraged/hunted diet considering all this talk of the difficulty getting enough food.
Elephants and mammoths make sense from a size perspective since they're big enough to work with for butchering, have some herd behaviours and mostly just graze on plants that would be too small for the giant to gather in useful quantities for themselves. Growth speed could be a logistics issue but then this is fantasy and we're talking about giants so that's not an unimaginable barrier to cross.
For giants smaller farm animals like chickens would be equivalent to that dish where you eat the whole tiny bird under a cloth and medium/large animals like humans and horses would probably be near the line of too small to easily work with but big enough that the bones are in the way so giants might gnaw at them whole to get at what meat they could, or they might attempt to pulverise bones first.
>>
>>49783746
>be plate-class giant
>snug and cozy under continental plate
>alarm goes off
>shrug of continent above you
>massive destruction everywhere
>also it's kinda chilly up there
>start shivering
>9.0 earthquakes spread across the entire world

Giants past a certain size are kinda broken.
>>
>>49788613
>it's cold here
>everything is too small
>my feet hurt
>I wish I was back home sleeping
>>
>>49779718
The problems a slave giant might cause don't sound much worse than having a domesticated elephant, while the potential uses and benefits are far better. Of course, both elephants and giants are not for everyone, poorfags can't afford them.
>>
If we're having a giant thread, in my setting:

>Giants are very old, very smart, and are better smiths than dwarves (though their size makes making human-sized masterworks a bit tricky, so dwarves still have the monopoly there)
>However, their species suffers from an ancient curse, which causes giants to give birth to monsters, instead of more giants. Thus, their numbers are slowly approaching zero.
>Their predicament has made them cowardly, for they fear their extinction. They tend to operate from the shadows, doing deals through trusted middlemen instead of making direct appearances, and they will kill intruders without question.
>>
>>49773400
Not unless the giant is mostly human size like only 8-10 feet tall or something.

I could see larger giants capturing beauties and keeping them like a pet or bird in a cage.
>>
>>49788376
The setting may have species our world doesn't. Domesticated sauropods?
>>
>>49773861
I used that image to portray an LE gnome city. My players were very weirder out by it and it was great.

Even better when I told the kobold it was actually a bit shorter than the ones in the picture, actually got mad and raised his height as much as he could.
>>
Infested with horrifying parasites. May try to make deals with PCs to help remove said parasites.

http://hodarinundu.deviantart.com/art/Dinosaur-parasite-418063985
>>
To understand giants without falling into shitty stereotype territory, look at how very tall people are.

They are calm, docile, slow to get angry, and usually pity smaller people. But people still fear them as if they're crazy and aggressive.

So they're misunderstood. They know their value, so they tend to be picky about who to be loyal to.
>>
>>49793031
>They are calm, docile, slow to get angry, and usually pity smaller people. But people still fear them as if they're crazy and aggressive.
Lanklets are mostly like this because they stand out so much in normal society. A giant who grew up with a bunch of other giants won't feel the same way.
>>
>>49779752
This implies that everything happening is just in the imaginations of some stupendously huge giants, and it is, those giants are the GM and Players
>>
>>49779578
Look into Dark Sun
>>
>>49793415
I assume the context of the question was about giants relative to normal people. Otherwise you wouldn't call them giants, you'd say the world is small
>>
>>49773861
Clad them in armor and pretend they're mechas, duh.
>>
>>49794369
It was, but only a giant raised by humans would feel that way. A giant raised in its native society wouldn't really consider itself giant at all, and consequently wouldn't necessarily have the same tendencies towards being calm and careful that develop when all the people you know are small, fragile, and easily scared.
>>
>>49794846
It surely depends how much contact they have with non-giants as a whole?
>>
>>49779752
Irkens go home.
>>
>>49793031
>They are calm, docile, slow to get angry, and usually pity smaller people. But people still fear them as if they're crazy and aggressive.

Do you make a habit of pulling things out of your ass like they're facts?
>>
>>49788972
>The problems a slave giant might cause don't sound much worse than having a domesticated elephant, while the potential uses and benefits are far better.
When the giant is cooperating, it's far easier to work with than an elephant. When it's not cooperating it's far more dangerous.
>>
How would you act if the borrowers or arriety were real? That's Giants.
>>
>The Giant of St Michael's Mount
>About 30 ft tall
>Lived up a mountain
>Kidnapped women and children, forced the women to spitroast the children over the fire, ate the children, raped and killed the women with his penis or a knife by cutting them open
>King Arthur cut off his balls with an overhead swing, disemboweled him, stabbed him in the head
>Grabbed Arthur in a bear hug and tried to crush him, both rolled down the hill
>Arthur eventually stabbed him to death with his misericorde the whole time he was grappled

if the players are gonna fight giants make sure they feel like they fought one
>>
>>49803383
If that giant is 30ft tall, how tall are king arthur and those maidens?
>>
>>49803437

The artwork doesn't appear to depict him as 30 feet, more like 9-12.
>>
>>49788613
I remember the Dexter's laboratory spin-off, the one with monkey hero. Anyway, one episode had the monkey fight a Giant lava monster, although not directly. The lava monsters tossing and turning below the earth was causing seismic activity. Neat stuff.

>Blog post over.
>>
>>49773261
If giants and humans engaged in active conflict we have ideas as to what kind of weapons and tactics humans would employ, but what about the giants?

What's the ideal weapon for fighting much smaller/more agile creatures?
>>
>>49805060
fly-swatter
>>
>>49805060
Against less-armored people, probably something like scythes >inb4 weeaboo. They're good for clearing large groups of relatively weak material (see their intended use against wheat and the like), and any farmer is already trained in their use. Against more heavily armored soldiers, probably long, heavy staves used in the same motion in order to knock people over, before giving them a good whack to make sure they don't get back up.
>>
>>49773537
In Poul Anderson's The Broken Sword an elflord keeps a troll in the basement to rape for changelings.
>mfw it was published the same year as Fellowship of the Ring
>>
>>49779718
>sci-fi slave giants
I actually have this as a mecha justification. There used to be giant slaves all over the place, that civilization collapsed but they left the exoskeletons the giants needed to stay alive in Earth gravity behind and now it's cheaper to retrofit them than to convert the material to tanks.
>>
>>49805116
Mmm... Scythe Giants...
That's some good flavor right there
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.