[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on this game? Do you think it accurately captures the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 89
Thread images: 16

File: IMG_0250.jpg (109KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0250.jpg
109KB, 1280x720px
Thoughts on this game? Do you think it accurately captures the Planescape setting?
>>
Story is good, especially if you follow all the optional branches. But the interface had not aged gracefully.
>>
File: That updated my journal.jpg (52KB, 448x419px) Image search: [Google]
That updated my journal.jpg
52KB, 448x419px
If any game actually could benefit from an Enhanced Edition (strictly in order to improve the graphics and interface), it's this one.

Not to mention that no matter what new NPCs Beamdog was to come up with for it, they couldn't possibly more weird than the extant NPCs.
>>
File: tumblr_lpfufdxjH61qhn466o1_400.jpg (131KB, 400x471px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_lpfufdxjH61qhn466o1_400.jpg
131KB, 400x471px
>>49761035
>they couldn't possibly more weird than the extant NPCs.
But they could be more faggoty LQTB2SBBQ. And every one of them could have romance options, even Ignus.

Spoiler: they would fuck this game up so bad we'd want to take a trip through the Abyss instead.
>>
Very good graphics and music, definitely captures the foreign nature of Sigil and the planes. I'd say so. The story is pretty cool and makes you want to find out more. There's only so much you can do in the game, though. There aren't many builds or interesting encounters. I'd rate it as good, below the upper echelon of AD&D games, but not by much.

>>49761035
There's nothing wrong with the graphics and there's nothing they could do about the interface. So I don't know why you'd want an EE.

I've never really been sold on Planescape as a setting to actually use; as in, running a game in Sigil. I just like it for fleshing out the AD&D cosmology.
>>
>>49761035
I think a remake would be better off ditchung most of the gameplay and going for more of a VN feel myself. The combat and moving around was really just padding in the first place since you couldn't actually die.
>>
>>49760925
It's the best depiction of the setting widely available.

>>49761035
It looks better when modded.

https://www.gog.com/news/mod_spotlight_planescape_torment_mods_guide
http://tchosgames.blogspot.co.nz/2011/04/planescape-torment-portrait-mod.html
>>
>>49760925
Well, it wasn't terrible shit that never lived up to its potential, so it isn't all that accurate.
On the other hand, the doom and gloom is turned up to a level so fucking retarded that it makes the Old World of Darkness seem reasonable, which is fairly on-point for Planescape.
Guess it's close enough, then.
>>
my biggest gripe with the game is that for a lot of diologue options you need high wis and int, when(if you axe me), melee is the best option for combat since its the most effective way to kill goons.

Im sure people will call me fukkin dumb kiddo, but if this game had no stat checks for dialogue options I'd like it a lot more
>>
>>49764092
>The combat and moving around was really just padding in the first place since you couldn't actually die.
TNO dying still has consequences

Also your friends can get killed

imo the combat wasn't as fleshed out as it could have been, but it still benefited the game a lot. Choosing to talk things out with people means nothing if that's the only option.
>>
>>49764367
>my biggest gripe with the game is that for a lot of diologue options you need high wis and int, when(if you axe me), melee is the best option for combat since its the most effective way to kill goons
The way the AD&D rules work out, being high level is a perfectly good substitute for actually having strength in melee combat. And with the lower exp requirements of being a fighter a pure fighter TNO will be overleveled most of the game.
>>
>>49764367
>Im sure people will call me fukkin dumb kiddo
Yes, because having to decide where to put your points is just about the only thing keeping the game from turning into an interactive novel.
>>
>>49760925
To this day the best goddamn RPG (or game) I've ever played
>>
>>49764324
>On the other hand, the doom and gloom is turned up to a level so fucking retarded that it makes the Old World of Darkness seem reasonable, which is fairly on-point for Planescape.
That's just because TNO's situation is so shitty. Aside from that the portrayal of the setting isn't particularly grim. Basically everything about the Clerk's Ward is comfy as hell. The Dead Nation is pretty chill, too.
>>
The combat is terrible. The game crashed fatally before fortress of regrets and I decided I will never subject myself to it again.
>>
>>49760925
Not without flaws, but still pretty darn good. Definetly on the top 5 list of best RPGs, and probably the best storydriven RPG. It does lack a bit in both combat and choice & consequence, however, but my experience is that all the really great RPGs are severly lacking in at least one of them and only excel in one.
>>
>>49761035
Torment had excellent graphics, you mong.
The Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale series were the ones which really needed graphical enhancements.
>>
>>49760925
I don't like WRPGs (or JRPGs for that matter), but I still managed to play this one for a long time just for the quality of the writing. The gameplay didn't shock me as particularly good or bad, but the setting is well-exploited, in my opinion.
>>
File: 6x66XxH.jpg (53KB, 868x376px) Image search: [Google]
6x66XxH.jpg
53KB, 868x376px
>>49761035
>Beamdog
>>
I love this game, but it takes it's own liberties with the Planescape setting so no it doesn't capture the setting accurately.
>>
>>49760925
It's one of the best written RPGs out there, but the interface and gameplay aren't great. It's not that it hasn't aged well--they were bad when it came out, too.

The soundtrack is fucking top, though. All around a great game, great depiction of Planescape. Honestly it makes the setting seem more compelling than it actually is.
>>
File: 1475777842857.jpg (12KB, 278x240px) Image search: [Google]
1475777842857.jpg
12KB, 278x240px
>>49766416
Let the free market run its course, anon.
>>
>>49766554
>Implying it matters with nepotism
>>
>>49766333
Icewind Dale has arguably better pre-renders than PST does.

The only IE game that has somewhat clunky visuals is BG 1.
>>
>>49766723
Go check the sales figures on Ghostbusters and get back to me. If people don't want a product, it'll sell like a lead balloon.
>>
>>49766416
>writer and creator
Kek. Well done, amerifats.
>>
>>49767021
Nepotism means those fuckwits will keep finding jobs
>>
File: And Fuck You In Particular.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
And Fuck You In Particular.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>49760925
>>
>>49767285
>1080p
>Blurry as fuck
>Letterboxed
Whoever made this needs to off themselves
>>
>>49767447
Widescreen mods are buggy; 4:3 for life. Also, if you play the game with a 1080p desktop, the game is going to be 1080p, no matter what resolution it is running.

Inexcusably blurry gif though.
>>
>>49767285

That spell never seemed to do as much damage as advertised.
>>
>>49760925
I went for years hearing about how great this game is, and tons of hype about it, since I never got to play it as a kid.
I installed it last year, in my opinion it actually lived up to the hype.
>>
>>49764806
>playing PS:T for the combat
and nothing of value was lost
>>
File: best_girl.jpg (42KB, 600x695px) Image search: [Google]
best_girl.jpg
42KB, 600x695px
Who is your Torment waifu, /tg/?
>>
File: Best party member.png (212KB, 272x441px) Image search: [Google]
Best party member.png
212KB, 272x441px
>>49772902
Nordom is the cutest waifu
>>
>>49761070
>being this triggered

>>49760925
It rewrote some stuff esp for the gith to the point that it became official so yeah, it's pretty good about it.
>>
>>49767021
>implying it doesn't sell

>>49767240
>muh conspiracies
>>
>>49775678
>It rewrote some stuff esp for the gith to the point that it became official so yeah, it's pretty good about it.
Yeah, I always thought that was funny
>pre Torment the Githzerai are just another planar race that doesn't have a ton of lore or character
>post Torment all Githzerai are Dak'kon
>>
>>49775841
They still don't really have much character. Dak'kon is interesting because of his history with the nameless one and his self doubt. His race are just boring space monks.
>>
>>49760925
Great story, bad mechanics.

PLAY BALDURS GATE SHADOW OF AMN INSTEAD BROS.
>>
>>49778620
Baldur's Gate is mediocre on all fronts. That does make it decent as an introductionary rpg, however, as someone new gets a pretty good idea of which crpg elements appeal to them personally. But if you want good combat mechanics then you should likely rather check out the Wizardry series, and if you want good c&c then check out Arcanum or Fallout (1 or 2).
>>
>>49760925
I think that in some ways it even surpasses the setting. My biggest gripe with Planescape is that in the end it's still a D&D expansion pack - you have infinite worlds but the playable races are the same bog-standard ones, or humans with funny hats. Torment managed to put together a cast of unique characters that made you really feel at the centre of the multiverse. You meet a random NPC who is a letter ffs.
>>
>>49770586
I don't play it for combat, but combat is thrown at me against my will. This is generally the problem of Black Isle RPGs - combat is always unbearable but also unavoidable. Arcanum was only good one because combat was short and easy so it couldn't torture me for long.
>>
>>49779774
Just _________________________git gud
>>
>>49779374
>My biggest gripe with Planescape is that in the end it's still a D&D expansion pack - you have infinite worlds but the playable races are the same bog-standard ones, or humans with funny hats. Torment managed to put together a cast of unique characters that made you really feel at the centre of the multiverse.
I mean, you could technically run a crazy party like Torment's in a normal Planescape game, it's just beyond the creativity of most groups to come up with that many good-but-weird characters, and it's beyond the skill of most DMs to come up with a cohesive adventure such a party.

Even in Torment the characters are very unbalanced in their specialization. Grace is dead weight when it comes to fighting but very versatile outside of combat. Ignus and Vhailor are the opposite - combat monsters that are likely to fuck up the party's plans in any situation not solved by killing. It all works out in-game because TNO is the designated main character, but in a party of supposedly equal members playing characters like that is almost guaranteed to make someone feel left out.
>>
>>49775841
After reading the 5e phb section on Githzerai, here is the next step:
>pre monk class all Githzerai are Dak'kon
>post monk class the only interesting Githzerai is Dak'kon

>tfw Zerths are watered down to being monks with psychic powers
>>
>>49780261
>tfw Zerths are watered down to being monks with psychic powers
That's lame. The Githzerai are a monastic people but that doesn't mean all of them should have the Monk class. By his stats and appearance Dak'kon is a samurai themed gish, so in 5e he should be a Fighter with the arcane archetype, not a psychic Monk.
>>
>>49780224
>you could technically run a crazy party like Torment's in a normal Planescape game
I tried:
>Run AD&D 2e planescape campaign
>All race options in PHB, Planescape books, and Book of Humanoids are welcome
>Half the players choose PHB characters
>One picks a Wemic from BoH
>Two others play as Aasimar
>Two of the players make unfunny comedy characters that no one thinks is funny and opt to reroll
>Throw plot hooks and flavour at them
>Wanted to have Annah-of-the-Shadows as a cameo character
>"All this must be linked, this Shadow bitch is responsible for everything wrong with Sigil!" -t. Players
>Send them to Mechanus for a bit
>They call it "McCainus"
>Literally give one of the players an obvious clue (a shard of metal that turns into a key outside Mechanus)
>Players wonder why the fuck they aren't commiting goblin genocide and lose interest in the game
>>
>>49780332
>>49780224
>>49779374

I ran a Planescape campaign banning all core races.

I ended up with a sylph, a tiefling, a grippli and a n awakened space hamster
>>
>>49779374
I think Planescape as a setting is inherently paradoxical. It only came to exist as an outgrowth of DnD's wacky cosmology and alignment system, but at the same time any edition of DnD is a terrible fit for the setting mechanically, outside the strict controlled environment of a video game.

So my question then becomes, what non DnD system is the best for Planescape?
>>
>>49760925
game is awesome, it gives the fell of planescape very good. I just wish the peopel who did this made mask of the betrayer, it was very good but could of been SOOOO much more
>>
>>49780224
Eh, there's not a ton of support for *really* weird races in 2e, unless you bring in stuff like skills&powers that came out very late in the game's life. Even then, it's a far cry from "floating skull" and "guy who's on fire forever". That's why, if I ever get to play something like PS, I'll go with a more flexible, build-your-own stuff system.

>>49780413
Fate, probably.
>>
>>49766416
Jesus, the leftist scum that infests the video gaming industry is getting almost as bad as the scum that infests government.
>>
It's too good as it's own thing to say that it's a good adaptation. I've really enjoyed the game and was really exited to read the Planescape setting books and maybe run a couple of dnd sessions based on the whole "philosophers with clubs" thing. The books are lacking. The faction descriptions are mostly uninspired stuff mixed with some borderline retarded shit. Like all characters from a nihilistic faction have a drawback that leads them to going into a coma-like stupor on a bad roll even when they are in physical danger, because sometimes the fact that life has no intrinsic meaning hits them really hard.
>>
>>49766333
Maybe at the time, but they have not aged well at all.

>>49766416
>>49761070
...yeah, I don't care about including more LGBTQwhatever characters. Particularly in D&D in general and ESPECIALLY in Planescape, which is "weird shit happens" the setting. I'm not a Social Justice Warrior but only because I have a strictly mañana attitude about the whole thing anyway. I am not threatened by the idea of a man who's biologically a woman, or a woman who's biologically a man, or a gay character, or whatever. If someone wants to include them, I literally do not care as long as they are written decently.

Besides which, Beamdog never changed anything in Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, only added stuff - all of it optional. Don't like Dorn or Neera? Don't recruit them. Simple as that.

I honestly trust Beamdog to do the same with Torment, if they were allowed to. Add a whole bunch of shit, sure, but all of it would be optional.
>>
File: Baldur's Bate.jpg (37KB, 845x231px) Image search: [Google]
Baldur's Bate.jpg
37KB, 845x231px
>>49785691
>Beamdog never changed anything in Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale, only added stuff
Because they were explicitly forbidden to change anything, which didn't apply to their own content. Here's the end result
>>
File: SensibleChuckle.gif (993KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
SensibleChuckle.gif
993KB, 250x250px
>>49786021

>responses are "Cool Story, Bro," "Cool Story, Bro," and "Alright then, See Ya."

That about sums up my level of caring, too.
>>
>>49785691
Key thing to realize here is the written decently part. They won't be written decently. They will read like someone fapping under the table.
>>
>>49786091
>>
>>49786021
>>49787293
I don't remember either of these. Are they from the Siege of Dragonspear thing that I ignored?
>>
>>49787640
Yep
>>
>>49787706
Fine decision on my part then.
>>
>>49787293

Meh. That's just being a PC. NPCs get murdered every single day for far less than being kind of rude like that.
>>
>>49787293
>implying that's bad
>>
>>49787790
1 and 5 are so self-righteously smug it hurts

3 is the only decent one
>>
>>49787790

Yeah, if I told my players an NPC walked up and shouted "Hey, you, boy!" at one of them, they'd summarily knife him to death right there.

>>49787846

And they'd probably be pretty "smug" while they were kicking his corpse, too.
Player characters are fucking sociopaths
>>
I don't trust Beamdog to handle PS:T because from what I've seen so far this is what you'd get:

1. All the mods stop working so the game is missing content and has a bunch of annoyances brought back.
2. Interface made even worse, smoothing filters applied.
3. Extra npcs who are never reacted to by the game itself and written far, far worse than anything actually in the game already (don't expect any Planar cant from these berks).
4. New content unrelated to the main game which explains something that didn't need to be explained and largely consists of re-used and re-arranged assets from elsewhere in the game.
>>
>>49786021
>I created my new name from syllables of different languages
That's cultural appropriation TRIGGERED
>>
File: Interesting.jpg (53KB, 354x462px) Image search: [Google]
Interesting.jpg
53KB, 354x462px
>>49788786

Is this legitimate criticism? On my /tg/?
>>
>>49788881
Even /v/ had worked out all the legitimate criticism of Beamdog ages ago.

But the culture war stuff gets more attention because it's a lot easier to point out (and also done really badly, it's not just esoteric kek devotees talking shit about Beamdog's attempts to pander).
>>
>>49787739
Five dialogue options that are the same thing worded slightly differently, but I suppose that's good writing because it's empowering.
>>
>>49780224
Really, the Icewind Dale games are the only ones that would work as tabletop adventures.
>>
>>49788936
But thankfully you get to choose your tone of mandatory righteous indignation. Who wants the illusion of choice fucking up their immersion in a role playing game amiright?
>>
>>49788786
Honestly them adding unbalanced kits was pretty unforgivable, the Blackguard was ridiculous.
>>
>>49760925
>Thoughts on this game?

Good concept, shit writers, shit game engine.
>>
>>49761070
>But they could be more faggoty LQTB2SBBQ. And every one of them could have romance options, even Ignus.

>Implying homolust is a bad thing

Faggots play RPGs too.
>>
>>49787846
1 is alright. I've literally had similarly brief random encounter conversation earlier today. Hell I might have used the same sentence and it would fit. When somebody introduces themselves as a missionary, giving them even that one sentence is generous.
5 is for various shades of Evil, I guess.
>>
File: 1433397735124.jpg (9KB, 499x390px) Image search: [Google]
1433397735124.jpg
9KB, 499x390px
I wish I could enjoy the Planescape setting, but it just feels so fake and forced.
>>
File: retard pills.jpg (44KB, 622x710px) Image search: [Google]
retard pills.jpg
44KB, 622x710px
>>49786021

>getting this butt steamed over something so inconsequential
>>
File: solving riddles.png (486KB, 890x250px) Image search: [Google]
solving riddles.png
486KB, 890x250px
>>49786021
>>49787293
>>
>>49789665
>Smearing shit all over a well-liked and classic vidya game
>Inconsequential
Bruh
>>
>>49789782
>muh great classics of vidya literature
>how dare they change one line
Is the overdramatic thing because you're underage, or is it merely autism?
>>
>>49789804
>change one line
It's cute how you pretend to know things
>>
File: 1459927846985.jpg (742KB, 3200x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1459927846985.jpg
742KB, 3200x2000px
>>49786021
>>
>>49789886
I bet posting that made you slap your belly and snort piggishly in delight at your immense wit
>>
>>49791249
Yes, and then I raped my captive elf maiden before feeding a few scraps to my boar.
>>
Forcing your retarded political beliefs and deviant sexual practices on your audience is the definition of awful DMing. Beamdog are faggots and you shouldn't buy their game. Reminder that you can get both BG games and their xpacs for like 10 bucks brand new, physical copies.
>>
>>49760925
Good story and setting.
Shit gameplay.

If it actually got a modern update and did a reasonable remake to be enjoyable it would be a great game.
>>
>>49766416
I don't see anything wrong with the text outside of the cringe. Writer doesn't like writing thing, writer doesn't write thing.
Thread posts: 89
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.