[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm going to be running a game using the Unofficial RWBY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 20

File: image.jpg (327KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
327KB, 1280x800px
I'm going to be running a game using the Unofficial RWBY System and I'd like to brainstorm ideas for semblances, weapon transformations, and balanced encounters for a party of 4.
>>
Never try to calculate physics of anime scene.
That way lies madness. And hypersonic tits.
>>
>>49759906
>Hypersonic tits
Like that scene from high school of the dead where a bullet only misses a girls boobs because those boobs moved out of the way when the bullet was only inches away?
>>
Rwby is very flashy in fighting style, but you might be able to get away with making most of your party monks/casters with a couple of caster primary

Elemental weapons/semblance are bread and butter. Middle class x-men powers are decent too. Powers need to be kept relatively tame or players will no longer be challenged by combat. Stick things together by touch is a fun utility power. Aura claws/spikes is a decent combat power. Short range teleport is a good mix.

Weapons should ideally be different stypes for each player to fit thematically (and keep them from fighting over weapon loot). Exotic weapons are no longer "exotic" in this setting.

Try to have only one (or two) per party
Two handed- polearm, greatsword, etc
One handed- axe, sword, shield , mace
Dagger- pockets of many dagger
Giant- wall shield, weapon plate mail
Gauntlet- power fist, Krueger claws
Bow- tiny, huge, and crossbow
Rifle- shotguns, military, Minigun
Stupid- nets, rollerblades, yo-yos

Weapon transforming is something the player and gm will have to really talk about together to ensue balance (and how much anime magic is willing to be put up with) but otherwise, the first step is getting players invested in their own player creation and party composition.

Good luck, have fun
>>
Make sure some of your male players are ready to play females and everyone is ready to roleplay. Half the fun in the series is out of combat and the other half is showy combat scenes.

My only gripe with the system is that there's no mechanic for enhancing the player characters beyond beginners (except one paragraph and a half-assed level-up chart with 5 rows total).
>>
Any other physics-breaking shit aura has accomplished in the show?
>>
>>49760550
Yang got smashed through a 5-foot thick concrete column and shrugged it off. That's equivalent to a lot of 747 airplanes landing on your face at the same time. Here's the death battle link.
https://youtu.be/5IOf8F6ChKs
>>
>>49760550
I'm sure someone will end up with a Not-ZA WARUDO aura at some point.
>>
>>49760585
It should be noted that tanking damage is Yang's shtick.
She can't hold it forever, though. After a while she'll need a hand.
>>
>>49760615
CARLOS!
>>
File: 1448068921304.png (999KB, 950x1029px) Image search: [Google]
1448068921304.png
999KB, 950x1029px
>>49759875
>>
>>49759875
>Unofficial RWBY System
Interesting. The setting has potential that I feel is wasted with high-school hijinks.

Is it possible to play Pic Related as a huntsman?

Or at least a grizzled, middle-aged guy who's been driven to alcoholism by the horrors he's seen.
>>
>>49760807
You'd have to crank the Anime up to 11, but yes.
>>
File: qrow drank.gif (2MB, 540x250px) Image search: [Google]
qrow drank.gif
2MB, 540x250px
>>49760807
>a grizzled, middle-aged guy who's been driven to alcoholism by the horrors he's seen
there may be some precedent for that, yeah
>>
File: Best girl.png (199KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Best girl.png
199KB, 640x360px
>>49760807
> Grizzled, middle-aged guy who's been driven to alcoholism by the horrors he's seen.

Anon, that's already a character as of Volume 3.
>>
>>49760433

>Not playing that one dude with the retarded close-range hover-pistols
>>
File: Tw2_full_Letho_1.png (2MB, 1044x2032px) Image search: [Google]
Tw2_full_Letho_1.png
2MB, 1044x2032px
>>49760807
Anon. You just gave me a really, really bad idea.

A RWBY Campaign based loosely on the plot of Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings.

A group of rogue Hunstmen have started taking contracts to kill PEOPLE. And now they're after Remnant's political leaders.
>>
>>49760916
A.K.A. one of the only half-way decent characters in the entire show, largely because he's one of the few who isn't a collection of anime cliches scotch-taped together.
>>
>>49760984
Sounds like an attempt at a grim and gritty reboot.
And I like it.
>>
>>49760049
Literally hypersonic tits.
>>
File: dante_dmc4.png (557KB, 631x457px) Image search: [Google]
dante_dmc4.png
557KB, 631x457px
>>49760985
uh
>>
>>49761214
Dante is a goddamn national treasure.
>>
>>49760807
>>49760984
It's funny that you mention this, but there actually are a lot of parallels between RWBY and The Witcher.
>>
>>49759875
>balanced encounters
>RWBY
>>
I had no idea there was a RWBY System, official or otherwise, I want to play it now.

As for Semblances, can't use just use any 0/1st level spell/ability and make the player able to use it as an at-will ability? Within reason of course.
>>
File: Feels Blink182.jpg (12KB, 250x200px) Image search: [Google]
Feels Blink182.jpg
12KB, 250x200px
>making a system for RWBY on my own

>Thinking I'll have a playtest version by the end of October

>maybe this will finally be the game that I don't keep within my group because I'm terrified of negative feedback. Maybe I'll put this one online and people will be happy for it

And now there's competition fuuuuu
>>
>>49761962
Ah, but you have the advantage of seeing anywhere their system fails, and learning from it to improve your own system.
Don't shy from competition, embrace it. Use it.
>>
>>49759875
Semblances are directly tied to personality, weapons are tied to the character, basically everything in RWBY is very personal. You have to create whole characters, not bits and pieces.
>>
>>49759875
System where?
>>
>>49762161
Google is just a click away.
>>
>>49762161
Well the one I found was https://www.reddit.com/r/Rwbytabletop/comments/4q0l7g/the_unofficial_rwby_tabletop_june_update/
Which I think is the one being talked about here, but I'm not entirely sure.
Also >>49762222 this I guess.
>>
>>49761962
>unofficial RWBY system
>competition
seriously, read it. It's fucked and doesn't work.
>>
Just use fucking Strike! FFS, it was made for this shit.
>>
>>49764941
He wasn't asking for a system recommendation, retard.
>>
>>49764941
Was aimed at people with more sense than OP.

Such as those who share >>49763796's views.
>>
File: VwwF1.jpg (124KB, 600x805px) Image search: [Google]
VwwF1.jpg
124KB, 600x805px
>>49761277
An international treasure, you mean.
>>
So what is so fucked about the RWBY system?
>>
Why do I feel llike hacking LotW could do an awsome RWBY system
>>
>>49766352
Lots of stats for everything that only slows down play. Also lots of rolling.

>>49766367
Probably.
>>
>>49766552
6 stats. Everything is 2d10. Everything that's not pvp has set target values.

How could it be more simple yet still have a RWBY vibe?
>>
>>49760807
i think a big part of the progression of the series is just that, we meet these kids, excited as they go to adventuring school to learn to be really strong and protect all the people from the bad monsters yay!
Them people start dying, they realize that friendship isn't magic, there are badguys out there who are twice as strong as you and don't care who they hurt, and even the "good guys" are manipulative bastards are mired in politics and personal grudges and willing to fuck the laws of reality for the "greater good"

Ruby is a level one, people like Ironwood and Qrow are what you end up after a few years.
>>
>>49765542
>Stop in Poland once on a trip
>Get beaten up
>Still the best day I had in Europe

They're good people, they just get excited. Not to be insulting but it is like dogs. If you start acting excited then they get excited too, and then one punches you in the mouth.
>>
>>49759906

Unfortunately RWBY fans are obsessed with it, much like Naruto fans.

It's pretty typical of stories that have fucking terrible consistency and plot device powers everywhere - fans latch on to outliers and ignore that they lead to nonsensical outcomes within the setting as a whole or even just a few seconds later in the episode.
>>
>>49759875
Someone cannot into pressure. Or area. Or distance. Most likely he ain't very big on thinking in general.
>>
>>49762268
Seems like an actually okay system. Don't like the lack of character progression.
>>
What does aura color represent?
>>
>>49769605
I dunno. I think white means you don't have a semblance because Juane is the only one without a semblance in the show and he is also the only one with white aura.
>>
File: wizard_shapeshifter.jpg (121KB, 1024x1023px) Image search: [Google]
wizard_shapeshifter.jpg
121KB, 1024x1023px
Holy shit this thread is still alive? I suppose OP could try not having shit taste, but then again I like One Piece so carry on I suppose.
>>
>>49770000
Im gonna bump this thread to spite you
>>
>>49770000
>One Piece is shit
Dont let /a/ fool you, some thing are popular because they are just good
>>
>>49770000
>One Piece.

Whatever floats your boat man.

Which reminds me, is there a fan-made One Piece tabletop?
>>
Man, I really want to play a game of this now, at least to see what it's like.
Seems like it might be a bit too autistic for real life friends though, which sucks.
>>
>>49770000
>shit taste
I'm gonna filter these words now
checked
>>
>>49766567
6 stats and tons of derived stats/skills.

A turn ("phase") can have 3-4 rolls at least.

It has reloading. It has fucking reloading. In the equivalent of what is a high paced, literally Matrix inspired action movie, it has reloading. Which ties into... it handles Dust as it's own resource management minigame, instead of realizing it's just applied phlebotonium serving the dual purpose of not having to explain shit and color coding effects to the viewers convenience.

It's using a D&D like "movement is in 5 foot increments", and gives exactly X feet movement range/attack range for everyone and other wargame-y aspects, but doesn't actually go the full length and encourages wishy-washy "stunting" actions, and "DM will decide the effect" for everything not detailed.... which is everything but the bare bones D&D like actions.

The players can also move twice as fast as the majority of their enemies, making kiting very effective. Do note that this speed still feels pretty slow when you compare it to the show but w/e.

The game just misses the fucking point. It can be used as a resource document sort of thing for the in-universe mechanics, but it's using the entire wrong approach. It's never important in RWBY _how_ something happens, the important part is what's happening and why it's cool. This game tries to answer the "how" but applies hard measurements only when the designer feels like it, and replaces it with the story-game mechanic of "Have the DM make something up!" for the rest, with a healthy dose of "Do something cool for cool bonus!", as if that made your game mechanically any less dry.

Even if everything was statted out I'd not recommend it because, as I've said, it misses the point IMO, but this is obviously incomplete and/or lazy either way; at least then it could be used as a sort of crunchy D&D-like with a lot of bits to fiddle with.
>>
>>49770000
One Piece is pretty good for a shonen. It's head and shoulders above everything else in it's (admittedly terrible) genre.
>>
File: images.jpg (4KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
4KB, 125x125px
>>49771061
>Whatever floats your boat man.
>>
>>49771979
>It has fucking reloading
It also has infinite ammo.
>It doesn't have ten pages of combat movement rules to satisfy my autism-riddled in creative mind.
And this is bad because?
>Players in a high-flying anime game have a faster movement speed than their enemies.
Did you not see the anime this is made for? Grimm are generally slower than most hunters/huntresses
>Game has ammo count and I don't like that
Too bad.
>Misses the point
How? The only thing you're harping about is that the game doesn't stat and rule every single possible thing so the GM has to pick up some slack. If it did the 40 page long PDF would easily triple in size and it would become another over complicated and autism-satisfying jumble of rules.
>>
File: Screenshot2.png (61KB, 446x393px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot2.png
61KB, 446x393px
>>49772420
Did you even fucking attempt to understand what I was writing?

The problem isn't that it doesn't have stats; the problem is that it goes half way and randomly assigns mechanics to some things and leaves them out for other things.

It could have either went lighter to be a more narrative game, or went harder and be more crunchy, but it falls in the middle with not enough mechanics support for either.

Like... okay, I'll do a screenshot.

See, the first two uses of the dust obviously do something mechanically and in the fluff; makes your weapon hot, or makes your rounds explode. But the third use is entirely up to you to make sense of, not even a generic damage table to go off of. It's like it's half finished, compared to the other two.

If you want to make a light game, don't put in shitty worthless mechanics with pointless modifiers like "+1 damage" when a single wolf enemy has 25 health and you are supposed to defeat scores of the things.

If you want to make a crunchy game, don't leave defined game elements, that the character spends resources on, without crunch.

Do either or, don't mix both.

This is all besides the point that I have grown to hate needless crunch, so if anything I'd argue for less crunchyness.
>>
>>49771979
>The players can also move twice as fast as the majority of their enemies, making kiting very effective.
You're often facing groups of enemies that are a dozen or more in number. Kiting only works when you can manage the ENTIRE group. As long as your GM isn't putting them all in one big pile that strategy won't work.
>>
>>49772843
Unless you are surrounded/surprised/boxed in/*insert other thing that makes kiting not work anyway*, why should that even matter?

This is actually false btw; at least the medium encounter, at least by the encounter building tip it gives is 4-8 beowolves.
>>
So, getting relatively back to what OP was asking in the first place, how about some people make/post their OC's, to let others get a feel of what an average character would be able to do/have others judge whether a character would be too strong or weak for a standard setting.
>>
>>49773107
Alabaster Maurer
>Semblance:
Aura projections that extend from held or touched objects. The projections are durable and weightless. Used mostly for blades and platforms.
>Weapon: Melee form
Dual sabres
>Weapon: Ranged form
Crossbow.
>Color?
White.
>>
>>49759875
If you really have no imagination, just refluff some of the official semblances, Pyrrha has magnetism, Ruby has speed, Yang is a saiyan, Blake has cat ears, Weiss’ voice pierces your eardrum as soon as you hear it, Ren has weed, Jaune attracts javelins, and I can make it look like my thumb is coming off.
>>
>>49773107
I remember making this tiny hamster-faunus. Her whole thing was she had to be range artillery because her Semblance was "burn all your Aura protection to boost yourself or your weapon for a little while, then wait anywhere between one and three days before your Aura regenerates enough to protect you from anything."

The more I look back, the more I realize it's probably a dumber idea than even I thought.
>>
File: 1452170593373.jpg (3MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
1452170593373.jpg
3MB, 1736x2456px
>>49759875
Dont know if these help OP, had them for some while,
Also in no paticular order~
>>
File: 1452170678136.jpg (3MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
1452170678136.jpg
3MB, 1736x2456px
>>49773575
>>
File: 1452170782704.jpg (3MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
1452170782704.jpg
3MB, 1736x2456px
>>49773602
>>
File: 1452170895277.jpg (3MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
1452170895277.jpg
3MB, 1736x2456px
>>49773637
>>
File: 1452171074898.jpg (3MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
1452171074898.jpg
3MB, 1736x2456px
>>49773691
>>
File: 1452171383845.jpg (3MB, 1736x2456px) Image search: [Google]
1452171383845.jpg
3MB, 1736x2456px
>>49773722
This is the last one. I dont actually remember where i got these, pretty sure some thread here on /tg/, Cant sem to fidn these or who made them so i guess ill never know if theres more~
>>
>>49773107
>Name
Moss Tandre
>Heritage
Faunus (Mouse)
>Age
>Height
4'9"
>Hair
Shaggy dark green mop
>Eyes
Bright green
>Colour
Take a fucking guess

>Stats
Str: 0
Agi: 5
End: 2
Per: 3
Wil: 1
Dis: 4

Health: 7
Aura: 13
Capacity: 5

>Semblance
TinkerTalk- Basically mild telepathy/telekinesis for anything with circuits, allowing Moss to control nearby technology to an extent (used most commonly to work Hush/Bang, meaning his weapon is basically useless to anyone but him). Naturally he can't control anything with proper firewalls etc, just like he can't walk through a locked door. Maybe with a lot of practice he can change that.

>Weapon
Hush/Bang;

Hush is a repeating crossbow with a cylindrical magazine (Think that small rotating bit in weiss' sword, but bigger) that contains several types of dust caps ready to be fixed to the standard bolts. (Also contained in the magazine, it's hard to explain, but think of a cylinder with a layer of crossbow bolts around the inside, then another shapewhich is like a cylinder but curls outward at the end, covering the first cylinder, the inner one rotates to the desired dust type, which is then funneled up to the first cylinder and forms a pointed clump on the end of the crossbow bolt.)

Bang is an alternate form, where the crossbow's "bow" part folds back and the string is retracted. Instead of funnelling some dust to make a bolt head, an entire dust type stored in the magazine is fired off at once, resulting in a powerful shotgun blast, but that dust type cannot be used again until it is reloaded.

Tadaa, one OC DONUT STEEL. I probably missed a couple of things because I got a bit carried away with the weapon, but eh, fuck it.
>>
I feel like a good RWBY RPG would be as simple as possible mechanically, with most of the depth coming from character- and weapon-specific rules.
Combat should be as fast as possible with as little math as possible, one roll per turn if possible unless you're attempting some crazy environmental or special attack.
>>
>>49775872
>One roll per turn
>Lots of mechanics for weapons and combat
Choose one.
>>
>>49775934
Not the guy your replying to but
>unless you're attempting some crazy environmental or special attack.

I mean if you're just gonna "hit a guy with my sword", it probably would be easy to pull off but not yield as well of a result as pulling off some complicated maneuver that is prone to failure and maybe even leaving you open to get attacked.
>>
>>49776045
Do you ever see anyone in RWBY just stand there and attack? They're jumping from opponent to opponent, dodge attacks by firing their weapons and using the knockback to escape, and transforming their weapons to deal with ranged or melee threats. Don't even get me started about dust usage and semblances.
>>
>>49776189
Sorry, I'm giving an outsider's opinion. Only interested because my groups planning on running a RWBY game and I'm the only one who hasn't watched it. The run down they gave me was super powered teens go to school to fight monsters with transforming weapons.

But yea, I guess since it's anime inspired or whatever I see your point.
>>
>>49776239
Watch the trailers and you've got basically the entire fighting style of the series.
>>
>>49776189
One roll per strike then, and have lots of ways to do multiple strikes/hit multiple people on one turn? If you're jumping through dozens of enemies mowing them down, fuck having to confirm hits against AC and roll for damage on each one.
Maybe it can have some system where you get a limited number of actions for your turn, and any unspent actions can be used as parries/dodges when being attacked during an enemy turn? That way you can do a bunch of crazy shit during your turn, but if you overextend you leave yourself vulnerable. Plus, in the fights between hunters there's a shitload of dodging and deflecting so I think it'd lend itself to that too.
>>
>>49769676
>without a semblance
That we know of.
>>
>>49777100
If his semblance existed it would have shown up by now.
>>
>>49777075
Which is exactly what the unofficial system does already. You get 3 actions per turn and attacking/semblances share a pool of 2 of those actions per turn meaning you're encouraged to do some cool shit with that last action. Dodging isn't an AC, it's a roll based upon how you want to Avoid taking damage and its action free.
>Parry the blow?
Strength check.
>Dodge?
Agility check.
>Resist it by pure force of toughness?
Endurance check.
>Use your semblance to avoid the damage?
Will check.
>Using dust to move out of the way?
Discipline check.
Granted you're going to end up using one method almost exclusively after the game starts due to having a 5 in that stat but whatever.
>>
File: RWBY Fight.webm (3MB, 774x426px) Image search: [Google]
RWBY Fight.webm
3MB, 774x426px
>>49777105
Bullshit. His Semblance is obviously going to come out in some season finale, possibly when he faces down Cinder Fall about Pyrrha. And it was shown already, or at least hinted at; he turned a punch from Cardinal back onto the bully.

>>49776239
>>49775872
I'd style the combat after Feng Shui- fast and mechancially simple, with big spaces for the players to describe how they do some incredible move and kick 9 different people in the dick at once.

Personally, I'd say that you should watch episodes 4 through 8 of the first season. You get a basic rundown of the important things (aura, huntsmen, Grimm), and what is imo one of the best fight scenes. Less than half an hour's time investment for a solid lesson in the fundamentals of RWBY.
>>
>>49777194
Any more RWBY webms?
>>
>>49777168
I think using one method exclusively could be abated by either giving limited optimal uses to each check or else putting the players in situations where their favored check isn't possible

Like, it makes sense to use one of those things more than the others, as a character usually has a specific style that shows through (Yang tanks it, Weiss uses dust/her semblance, Blake dodges, and Ruby parries).

I kind of like running off of an optimal use system, where you can do it as many times as you want, but each use past a certain point lowers your chances of success. The number would probably correlate most directly to the stat being checked, so you don't end up having to make another stat to track it.
>>
File: RWBY Yang Reload.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
RWBY Yang Reload.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>49777252
Not on me, but they're not hard to find.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.