[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 389
Thread images: 26

File: DnD Hood.jpg (31KB, 797x600px) Image search: [Google]
DnD Hood.jpg
31KB, 797x600px
D&D 5th Edition General Discussion

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>/tg/ character sheets
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

> Encounter Building - Unearthed Arcana | October 2016
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/Encounter_Building.pdf

Previously on 5th Edition General: >>49738978

THREAD QUESTION:
How would you make a monk that isn't the same old weebshit >muh martial discipline?
>>
>>49749557
>How would you make a monk that isn't the same old weebshit >muh martial discipline?
>A boxer gets pulled through a strange portal and winds up in a fantasy land, where his boxing expertise taps into Ki!

>A way of the 4 elements monk that seeks to conquer the forces of nature through primal powers (requires the non-shit version of Wot4E)
>>
Around what level is it a good idea to start rewarding players with Legendary magic items?
>>
>>49749557
Make a strength monk work somehow, with ki being your endurance. Can continue to spend ki beyond zero for short term exhaustion levels (recover on short rest)

Alt question:
>What are some fun 'theme' parties? All stealth Rogue/ Ranger/ Monk/ Warlock special forces, Etc.
>>
>>49749557
Non weeb monk:

Make martial arts into a fighter fighting style.

Allow EK to take any wizard spell instead of that limited bullshit list.

Done.
>>
>>49749557
doctor strange without the sorcer stuff
>>
>>49749699
warlock special forces with each one having different pacts so that they costantly bicker with each other, holy shit that would be hilarious. for a one shot of course
>>
Should I make Rahadin from CoS a Dullahan? He is kind of boring as is

>>49749695
At least 12+
>>
I forgot monk exist... (I blamed 3.5/pf for making monk shit).

Is it fun in 5e?
>>
>>49749717
For some serious creepiness, make them all serve the same extremely enigmatic patron that purposely tells them different sets of information and pits them against each other. Bonus points if it's a faerie queen.

>>49749695
Never; legendary items should be plot-related or the specific goal of a quest.
>>
>>49749746
It's ok, I guess.

One of the archetypes is trash but the other one is fine.

I don't like monk being a core class.
>>
What should I pick army third Eldritch Knight spell if I can't use Absorb Elements? The ones I already picked are Find Familiar and Shield.
>>
>>49749807
I understand not wanting monks to be part of the core lineup, but what else would they be? They don't work as an archetype for any of the existing classes.
The closest someone might say is a fighter archetype, but monks (traditionally) come with martial arts, ki, stunning attacks, unarmored defense, acrobatics, and a host of supernatural abilities (poison immunity, self-healing, spell resistance, universal language). That's way too much to pack into an archetype - it should definitely be a class.
But after rambling on I realize you probably meant it should be a splat class instead of a core class and I should probably go to bed.
>>
>>49749810
You need an evocation spell, so pick magic missile or chromatic orb.
>>
>>49749746
Stunning strike is very fun against single targets, and especially enemy casters. Their multiple strikes are great for forcing concentration checks, too.
You've got 3 flavours, classic punch monk (good), ninja (seems good), and elementalist (underpowered, could do with a little boost)
>>
>>49749557
I made a Monk who had the Waterdhavian Noble Backround.
He basically was an almost totally useless human being until one day his parents hired a tutor and scholar to teach him useful knowledge since he was a massive disgrace to his family.
Turns out the "useful knowledge" the guy was selling was kungfu, and he basically called the nobleman a whiny pussy if he couldn't hack the training, which pissed off the nobleman so much that he threw himself into the physical and mental training just to prove him wrong, and ended up discovering he liked kicking ass just as much as he liked partying and drinking and whoring.
Now he's a highly trained martial artist who goes out adventuring and he STILL whores and parties his way through the world, he just also kills monsters and fights evil too.

His master actually doesn't care; he just wanted a student to pass his skills onto. What said student DOES with it is kinda irrelevant to him.
>>
>>49749746
As in the past, you can make very fun monk/fighter multiclass characters that use monk weapons to do lots of damage quickly. I'm thinking dueling style + flurry of blows would be fun.
>>
>>49749872
splat book standalone class I guess.

I don't understand why someone would want to play a kung fu master in a medieval europe based setting.
>>
>>49749930
The character sounds like fun. We had a partyin' monk in our party (heh), and I grew very fond of her shenanigans. The campaign as a whole had a serious tone, so anything she did had to actually be realistic and make sense in context. She ended up drinking a lot and occasionally seduced minor plot NPCs (via proper role-playing), which was fun. One of her biggest personal tragedies occurred when she realized poison resistance means immunity to intoxication.

The master, however, sounds like complete shit. An important part of Kung Fu (perhaps the most important) is the philosophical aspect. It varies from school to school, but most masters should really care about their student achieving spiritual/mental/physical balance. Plus, the partying and drinking and whoring is a pretty solid indicator that he doesn't give a shit about spiritual balance, unless he has a pretty interesting view of the world.
Again, I have nothing against the character, but this teacher is pretty fuckin' suspect. Any chance he was an outcast from some monastery that decided to teach some schmuck their secrets out of spite? ;)

>>49749973
Well, you're assuming everyone plays in a medieval Europe based setting, which isn't necessarily true. The default settings often are, but many homebrew settings are quite different.
Even if you do play in medieval Europe, I don't think Kung Fu masters stick out more than nature hermits who make friends with animals (both rangers and druids; keep in mind the druid is in no way based on historical druids anymore). Or, you know, wizards. We just got used to seeing those in our "medieval Europes." At this point, lots of people found ways to incorporate monks as well. Monasteries are very similar to mage towers, after all.
>>
So some stuff happened and my Sorcerer now has a pet Wyvern after proving his physical dominance.

What's a good name for a pet Wyvern?
>>
>>49750013
Nah, you're full of shit senpai.

>not everyone plays in medieval europe inspired settings, some play homebrew

Sure, so they can homebrew races and classes their setting needs.

>it's not that much zanier than a druid

we're dealing with assumptions people make when joining a game, an thins that are obnoxiously contrary to what they were invested in rub people the wrong way.
>>
>>49749973
>I don't understand why someone would want to play a kung fu master in a medieval europe based setting.

>assuming that D&D is medieval European fantasy only when there was a literal Wild West gunslinger sheriff in the second game of D&D ever played
>>
>>49750032
No, you're full of shit. D&D has been a kitchen sink far longer than you've been alive.
>>
>>49750032
>>49750042
I wouldn't have put it quite like anon here, but I tend to agree. D&D used to have elements of sci-fi (in some modules), and psionics are distinctly un-European in flavor as well.
>>
>>49749886
Are there any good Wot4E fixes?

I have one in mind.
-Instead of "Elemental Attunement" you gain the 4 control elements cantrips from the EE companion
(Control flames, Gust, Mold earth, Shape water)
- You can use the cantrips as bonus actions. When you do, you regain 1 Ki point.
- Absorb elements made into one of the spell choices
- In general, grab a bunch of spells from EE player guide

>>49749973
The "standard" D&D setting is only based on medieval Europe in the sense that... actually, I have no idea. What does FR have that's unique to medieval Europe? I wanted to say kingdoms, but nope. "People use swords and bows" but that's a time period not exclusive to Europe. I guess you could say Elves and Dwarves and Orcs are based on the works of a person who based it on european folklore, but you can probably find equivalents to that pretty easily anyway.

Maybe racial and cultural diversity as opposed to the chinese empire having a sort of mono-culture (probably not true, but it's the perception I get from popular media portrayal)? But that goes counter to excluding monks.

Worst comes to worst, you could still just consider them fist wizards (well, more like fist Druids, since elementals and shit), pugilists, or magical assassins.

So yeah, full of shit.
>>
>>49749557

Re-fluffing.

Uncouple the Ki concept from the Ki mechanic.

It's now energy gifted to you by a deity, or the primal spirits of nature, or from some internal font of power like a sorcerer.
>>
>>49750070
>automatically gain all 4 control element cantrips
Sounds like you just want to play the Avatar.
>Regain ki when using advantageous class feature
I'm... not convinced this is a good idea.
>EE spells
This one I can fully get behind.
>>
>>49750065
>>49750070
Yeah I guess I am.

Still, I always run more conventional settings and am a bit put out when someone comes in with zany stuff that doesn't fit with it.
>>
>>49750096
Don't get me wrong; I think it's great that spaceships no longer appear in D&D modules (Pathfinder, on the other hand...). I'm firmly opposed to anything silly or zany in my games because it ruins immersion. I just don't think monks break immersion in the same way if they're explained properly and their martial art isn't complete weeb fu.
>>
>>49750095
>Sounds like you just want to play the Avatar.
Well, yeah? They are called Way of the 4 Elements?

>I'm... not convinced this is a good idea.
Their big problem is Ki point economy; with this you have an (I think) pretty cool dynamic of waxing and vaning Ki points and building up a big attack over turns when you don't have anything other to do.

The cantrips are also pure fluff, basically no combat use; you could just give it "regain 1 ki point as bonus action" and it'd be the same, but this gives the visual of, well, bending/gathering elements to prepare for a big hit.
>>
>>49750070

>Are there any good Wot4E fixes?

Yes. There is a fan-made revision that is considered to be much better than the existing Wot4E and still balanced. Pic related

>You can use the cantrips as bonus actions. When you do, you regain 1 Ki point.

Never try to make homebrew ever again.
>>
>>49750138
Giving ki points back for free is broken. It's a short rest resource anyway, but even having to spend a few seconds to get one back is broken, never mind a bonus action.
Giving the four elemental cantrips seems fine, but maybe give them over a few levels, allowing the character to pick one first, then another, and so on.
More spell options are good, and I wouldn't mind letting them know more spells because the cost is so high.
>>
>>49750182
>>49750204
Oh nice, someone has done this already
>>
>>49750204
>Giving ki points back for free is broken. It's a short rest resource anyway, but even having to spend a few seconds to get one back is broken, never mind a bonus action.

Why? What can the Wot4E monk do with them? Serious question here. How could you abuse that?

>>49750182
This is pretty good.
>>
>>49750225
>Why? What can the Wot4E monk do with them? Serious question here. How could you abuse that?

anon, are you fucking high?
>>
Oy vey, I've missed the octorber UA. How long ago was it made?
>>
>>49750232
No. Enlighten me.
>>
>>49750138
Elemental monks were not invented in Avatar. They're a much older concept. The one thing Avatar brought to popularity is them focusing on the 4 Western elements.

>>49750182
>considered to be [citation needed]
Still, I read over and it looks basically fine. It offers spellcasting on par in terms of power with what full casters get, but in much lower quantity (albeit on a short rest). It's fairly similar to how warlocks do magic, which is fine considering both are classes with good utility and consistent damage output. I would allow my players to use this one.

>>49750225
>What can the Wot4E monk do with them?
Other than cast more spells, same as any other monk, namely martial arts and such. Your concept would never actually cast spells, just use flurry of blows every round forever, which would spike their DPS.
>>
>>49750244
>Other than cast more spells, same as any other monk, namely martial arts and such. Your concept would never actually cast spells, just use flurry of blows every round forever, which would spike their DPS.

Except on the rounds they need to spend a bonus action to gather Ki (or omsething else), and so can't flurry.
>>
>>49750244
>[citation needed]
This isn't fucking Wikipedia, anecdotal evidence is OK in conversational dialogue you mongloid
>>
Who's the best in combat? Who's the worst
Wizard, Sorcerer, or Warlock?
>>
>>49750264
Bladelox because they get to summon whatever weapon is appropriate for the situation
Polearm bladelocks are underrated
>>
>>49750258
Fair enough. That's still more flurries and such than monks are supposed to have.

>>49750261
Anecdotal evidence also needs to be actual anecdotal evidence rather than a generic and unspecified "don't worry about it, people believe me." Who considers it to be much better? I'm not asking for a source, just something more than a hand-waive.
>>
i'm not convinced how opportunity attacks work in 5th, I think that recovering from an incapacitating status like being prone should trigger opportunity attacks too. Wat you guys think?
>>
>>49750240
>why is allowing a class to generate a class resource infinitely for free not ok?

I'm convinced you've not played the game or something, I can't even conceive how you think that's ok

Let's let the Sorcerer regen a spell point for a bonus action. Let's let the battlemaster regen a superiority die as a bonus action. Etc

infinite Ki = infinite spells for a wot4e. You get Ki back on a short rest too
>>
>>49750281
Yeah, I dislike how easy it is to undo being knocked prone /disarmed without there being any consequences.
Doesn't make sense that you'd knock someone to the floor and then they get up and knock you to the floor without someone being stabbed in the mean time.
>>
>>49750264
>>49750268
assuming it's just a straight combat and you can expend as many resources as you want without needing to conserve, Sorcerer>Warlock>Wizard

however the gap in combat effectiveness isn't big at all, and the Wizard's utility/versatility out of combat (while also being good and versatile in combat) make Wizard the better class by a good margin

>>49750281
>>49750294
remember, a full round of combat (from top of initiative to bottom) is 6 seconds.

In real time, the guy that got knocked down gets back up in a couple seconds.

Alotta GMs make combat feel like you're moving chest pieces because alot of GMs are bad.

I do think Prone is pretty dumb though. Same with disarming, it's a free item iteraction to just pick back up
>>
File: tryharder.jpg (16KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tryharder.jpg
16KB, 600x600px
>>49750240
>>49750225
>>49750258

Are you guys really that autistic or is this the lowest quality bait I've seen yet?

Using a bonus action to regain a ki point, despite the fact that Ki points already reset on short rest is the most retarded broken thing ever, and that's speaking as someone who's played Monks extensively.

First of all, there's the fact that if you let them do that, they can just spam a bunch of the control cantrips to always be at full Ki points. Considering the capstone feature grants you 4 ki points when you roll initiative and have no ki points remaining, you can already see how broken this is.

Even if your argument is, oh but they need to spend a bonus action to gather Ki, well then that just means the next turn they can use Flurry. Rinse and repeat and you've automatically just boosted their DPS extensively as well as allow them more Ki points with which they can do any of the following:

> Patient Defense - Unlimited dodge as a bonus action? Good luck trying to get a hit on them

>Step of the Wind - Unlimited Disengage/Dash? Not as big of a deal since Rogues can do it, but with extended jump and Monk's unarmored movement, you've ramped their mobility up even more.

>Deflect Missiles - Good luck trying to hit them with anything ranged

>Stunning Strike - Neverending attempts to stun creatures

>Diamond Soul - Never be affected by anything that requires a saving throw.

All in all, well done anon, you dun goofed and you've just proved you are incapable of making homebrew. Stick to the pre-made modules, will ya.
>>
>>49750317
What about Tomelock?
>>
>>49750324
Then maybe a recharge time might be the way to go.
>>
File: Cover.jpg (364KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
364KB, 500x500px
Has anyone homebrewed a Bard School thats more idol flair?
>>
>>49750331
Tomelock won't really effect your combat effectiveness, I guess the cantrips can help but the rituals won't do anything.

Warlocks are one of the most consistent damage casters, since they can just EB for 1d10+CHA whenever they want. Couple that with Hex and the fact that higher level EB hits multiple times and you do a lot of damage consistently

Chainlock would up your combat effectiveness a bit, using your familiar to do shit.

>>49750337
what do you mean? what exactly is a "recharge time"?

Even something like "Wis mod times per day you can use a BA to cast one of the four elemental cantrips and gain a Ki point" is pretty iffy.
>>
>>49750288
Well, that's the point. A short rest already recovers it anyway, unlike sorcery points.

But when you use it in battle, you actually do use resources; your bonus action, which could have been an MA attack, or a Flurry, or Dodge or whatever. You convert action economy into points you can enhance later actions with.

For the record, I honestly think all monks should be able to bonus action recover Ki points, with different methods, Wot4E is just the most ki hungry by far.

>>49750324
I'm not baiting.

>First of all, there's the fact that if you let them do that, they can just spam a bunch of the control cantrips to always be at full Ki points.

I ususally play with short-short rests anyway. But, since this is a point of contention, let me rephrase it this way:

When you use any of the elemental control cantrips, you gain 1 Ki point. You must use this Ki point until the end of your next turn, or it is lost.

Alternative (more complicated but lets you "bank"):

When you use any of the elemental control cantrips, you may spend Ki points, as if you were raising the level of the spell. You gain one more Ki point than the amount you spent. You must use these Ki points until the end of your next turn, or they are lost.

Using this ability for extended times can lead to exhaustion. (I think using combat actions for an extended period gets you exhaustion anyway, but not sure).

>Considering the capstone feature grants you 4 ki points when you roll initiative and have no ki points remaining, you can already see how broken this is.

This assumes that ability is actually good, and not situational benefit at most.

>Examples

Except when they need to use a bonus action to recover the ki to do (most of) those.
>>
>>49750365
Forgot to say, you obviously can't break your max ki point cap (although, there isn't much use to that anyway, considering the amount of ki you can spend in a turn is limited).
>>
>>49750337
>>49750344

If your intention is to allow the Monks more Ki points, which is reasonable (although if you're having two or more short rests a day, this really shouldn't be a problem), then here are some ideas that could address that:

- Regaining Ki when you reduce a hostile creature. You can only do this a number of times upto your Wis Mod per long rest.
- If you have 0 ki points, you can spend 10 minutes in meditation to gain an additional number of Ki points equal to half of your Monk level (rounded down). You gain one level of exhaustion as a result.

Alternatively, just ask your DM to give you a magic item which has a pool of Ki points which you can use as long as you've attuned to it/it's on your person.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 300x300px
>>49750338
>weeb bard
>>
>>49750279
Except you literally were asking for a source

Anyway this is all irrelevant the best and easiest 4 Elements Fix is just reducing the ki cost of all their subclass abilities by 1
>>
>>49750365
>>49750371

>When you use any of the elemental control cantrips, you gain 1 Ki point. You must use this Ki point until the end of your next turn, or it is lost.

Even with your newly worded take on your Ki recharge ability, it is STILL far too strong.

You are essentially allowing the Monk to a) use one of the control cantrips as a bonus action which reduces it from a normal action AND allows them the benefit of said cantrip (albeit being fairly small, it's a benefit nonetheless)

AND if you were to link that with Ki recharge, you get some supremely broken situations:

>Being able to use Flurry every other turn

>Being able to spam the control cantrip as a bonus action and then use a stunning strike. EVERY TURN. (Once you get extra attack, this just gets even stronger)

>A Ki buffer with which you can use Deflect Missiles/Diamond Soul, and still have your main pool of Ki still intact.

Please anon, stop digging this grave.
>>
How do I sun soul monk? I wanna be super saiyan and throw ki everywhere.
>>
>>49750416
>Being able to use Flurry every other turn

Turn 1, ki charge instead of MA -> Turn 2 Flurry

Is functionally (number of attacks) equivalent to T1 MA -> T2 MA

In fact, in all of your examples, you are giving up a bonus action that you could have used for your bonus MA attack to prep those. They are not "free".

It may be too big of an upgrade. Possibly limiting it to just the archetype's options works better like ("this ki point must be spent on an ability from this archetype"), but it honestly doesn't feel like it.
>>
How about

Elemental Ki - As an adherent to the Way of the Four Elements, you can call upon a pool of elemental energy to fuel your elemental abilties.

This pool has a number of Elemental Ki points equal to half your Monk level, rounded down. Elemental Ki can only be spent on Elemental Disciplines, and you regain them at the end of a short or long rest.

What do yall think? Obviously you could still use regular Ki for Disciplines. Getting them back on a short rest may be a bit much, but wot4e needs some help
>>
I am slowly introducing firearms (Renaissance era) into the homebrew campaign as the world is discovering gunpowder. I want my players to eventually get them if they choose to pursue the use of firearms but I keep thinking how proficiency. Should i just let them do the RAW of training for near a year and paying the 1gp/day? I might dwindle it down to a lower number of days though esp since the pace my players play in in-game days.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>49750428
1) Play a Monk
2) At Level 3, choose the "Sun Soul" Monastic Tradition
>>
>>49750428
What do you mean? You can pick sun soul, and...that's fucking it, really. It gives you a mediocre ranged attack, and later some mediocre AoE.

That's what you get, that's your archetype. It kinda sucks, it lets you do things that monks can't do, usually, but you're not really any good at them.
>>
>>49750437

Whilst the DPS may balance out, the "upgrade" is still far too strong, as it still doesn't address the 1 Ki point buffer which can be used to for stunning strike/deflect missiles/diamond soul.

Allowing it to only work with Wot4E might be a good balance, but I still think it's a sub-par solution because the two main reasons why Wot4E is so bad is because (a) the range of abilities are fairly limited and (b) the individual abilities require a proportionally high amount of ki points to use.

Both of those were solved particularly well by the fan-made revision as they introduced a host of new abilities, allowed for Elemental cantrips and made the ki point cost much more reasonable.
>>
4e is actually pretty good.
>>
>>49750611
I miss cosmic sorcerer
>>
>GM wants to run a Naruto game
>with 5e
This is going to suck
>>
>>49750488
Guns are supposed to be easy to use, just use the alien technology rules.
>>
>>49750542
>Whilst the DPS may balance out, the "upgrade" is still far too strong, as it still doesn't address the 1 Ki point buffer which can be used to for stunning strike/deflect missiles/diamond soul.

The 1 Ki point buffer costs you yan extra attack.

Spending 1 Ki on deflect missile (since it's otherwise free) gives you back that one attack exactly.

Stunning strike, you choose between a stun and a possible kill from the extra attack.

Probably got a point with diamond body I guess, it's ridiculously good.

I also agree that the linked brew is a good fix. I just like this idea since it facilitates decisions/gameplay that sounds exciting to me and I got sidetracked defending it.
>>
>>49750622
I miss Dragonborn Barbarian|Sorcerer.
>>
>>49750488
Reinassance weapons suck, only enemies will benefit from them
>>
File: we just don't know.gif (760KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
we just don't know.gif
760KB, 250x251px
>>49750668
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>49750690
Because of their slow reload speeds, they are best used en-massed, something the PCs aren't able to do.

They elevate the danger a weak enemy poses, but do not increase player power by any meaningful degree.
>>
>>49750690
It takes a lot to reload them and they don't deal enough damage, they don't even work with Xbox Xpert. Grab a bow and you'll do way better
>>
>>49750701
In logical terms I'd agree but you need to look at the actual rules from the DMG, they load as quickly as crossbows
>>
>>49750714
Yeah, and loading property makes them shit compared to bows or crossbows with xbow xpert feat
>>
>>49750668
Firearms weren't the only weapons used in the Renaissance senpai.
>>
> in a new table with 3 newbies
> must control by rule lawyer power level
This is hard...
>>
>>49750775
He's replying to the firearms anon, learn to reading comprehension
>>
New Fighting Style?

Brawling
Your unarmed strike now counts as a simple melee weapon that deals 1d8 damage, and when you use your Attack action to make an unarmed strike, you can make one additional unarmed strike as a bonus action.
>>
>>49750796
Why not straight lift Martial Arts, and you can then also be lightly armored?
>>
>>49750635
That's like playing DBZ, even Yamcha is several times more powerful than 20th level chars. Tell him to try a system more fit to those powerlevels
>>
>>49750787
If you care that much about RAW you're probably playing the wrong edition
>>
>>49750796
Fighter and Barb with this will be better at martial arts than a monk
>>
>>49750796
Way to shit on TWF
>>
>>49750796
>how to kill monk in one easy step
Nice.
>>
>>49749686
Pathfinder does pretty good. The vudra "not-indhu" are philosopers and wisemen.
>>
>>49750811
Oh, is a style, then fighter, Ranger and Paladin will be able to be better monk than monk
>>
Well, my players (and me as well) hate the monk class and especially its flavor. This fighting style is intended to allow str-based fighters to use unarmed strikes effectively. I don't care about ruining the monk because it's so terrible, but for the sake of making a better all around fighting style, is there a way to balance something like this with the monk?
>>
>>49750865
If you don't care about ruining the monk then you did a good work, is a style that I, as a player who likes martial artists, will totally pick. Paladin with that looks awesome
>>
>>49750796
How about something like this:

>Increase your Strength or Constitution score by 1, to a maximum of 20.
>You are proficient with improvised weapons and unarmed strikes.
>Your unarmed strike uses a d4 for damage.
>When you hit a creature with an unarmed strike or an improvised weapon on your turn, you can use a bonus action to attempt to grapple the target.

You could also make it a feat or something too.
>>
>>49750890
It's a style, not a feat
>>
>>49750865
Just copy martial arts? That way it'll be 1:1 balanced with monk.
>>
>>49750807
It's less about RAW and more about
> Hey can I use X to do Y thing, that will drag the session time on for like 30 min and didn't further our goal for no reason other than LOLZ.

They been trying to use Handle Animal to make a random dog bite it owner or Persuasion to convince a random guy that he's in love with another dude. The girl want to hoard all the cat in town...

Pretty much all the juvenile stuff you could imagine...
>>
>>49750865
Just add in some martial fist weapons. That way you could have STR-based hand to hand combat without even needing to change any rules.
>>
>>49750065
that because the diying earth books, influenced D&D. D&D
I dont care if we have a justified reason to have monk in the setting. For example dark sun.

But to have a monk in a inland town near the moonsea region.... is full of shit. To understand the point:
If there is a "not-europe" campaign with no other eastern influence than a monastery in a mounting only put there to justify monks is shit.
If you take other route, like playing in "not-china-japan-india" or in city state or sea city were cultural exhange between east and wests occurs. In fine with monks.
>>
>>49750923
This, desu.

Martial weapon: Caestus, 1 gp, 1/2 lb., 1d4 bludgeoning, Light property
>>
>>49750950
>light
>you can twf and even sneak attack
Woah, why even go monk?
>>
>>49750987
Light isn't finesse brah
>>
>>49750987
You need finesse to sneak attack.
>>
>>49750987
See
>>49751009
>>49751010

Also, monk damage scales up, caestus don't.
>>
>>49750987
It's a worse short sword.
>>
>>49751012
Well, technically, you could find enchanted cest... uses? Cestii?

Unless you also brew in handwraps, that's an advantage.
>>
>>49751012
Scales worse than smite, rage, etc though
>>
File: 1473625262681.png (189KB, 450x472px) Image search: [Google]
1473625262681.png
189KB, 450x472px
>>49750987
monk players, everyone
>>
Ok, so here goes. Not sure if this is "legal" or not.

Death Cleric 1, Wild Mage 3, Fighter 2

This means we got 3 sorc points, action surge and double necromancy cantrip with chill touch.

So, could we then at level 6 do the following?

Cast chill touch and twin it, thus creating 4 chill touches. Then action surge and do it again and doing a stunning 16d8?
>>
>>49750020
Robert is a good pet name. Robert the Wyvern.
>>
>>49751089
Fuck meant wild sorc
>>
>>49751089
As long as you only use one bonus action, it's legal
>>
>>49750921
>>49750787

Tell me about it. My table are awed by the amount of freedom to do. But the things they ask me sometimes get the Rules-Lawyer in me.

>Can I tie a string to my dagger and make it like a retractable dagger?
>Can I use my Tiefling tail to wield a weapon?
>Can I use a rope and tie it on my Greataxe and make it like a makeshift flail?
>Can I weld my sword to a 10-15ft chain and use it to swing it around like Kratos on God of War?

I am liking the fire in their eyes but gaht damn.
>>
>>49751159
>>Can I tie a string to my dagger and make it like a retractable dagger?
>>Can I use my Tiefling tail to wield a weapon?
>>Can I use a rope and tie it on my Greataxe and make it like a makeshift flail?
>>Can I weld my sword to a 10-15ft chain and use it to swing it around like Kratos on God of War?
cringe
>>
>>49751089
Twinning requires the spell to target only one creature, Reaper targets two creatures. So nope. You can do your chill touch for 2d8 to 2 targets then action surge for 4d8 to two targets. Requiring 4 attack rolls meaning you will probably miss one.

Pretty cool but you don't have level 3 spells and by the time you do the team will be chuckling behind your back with all their level 4 spells and awesome class abilities
>>
>>49751192
How about quickened spell?
>>
>>49751192
awh bummer
>>
>>49751225
You can only quicken spell once because it takes 2 sorc points and you only have 3, so you can attack the creatures who are standing next to each other. Quicken spell to do it again, then action surge and get one more off.

That is 6d8 to either target, 12d8 in total. Requiring 6 attack rolls, the enemies have to be standing next to each other, burning all your sorc points and action surge. Then yeah that's 12d8 total, still not bad.

Personally I would fireball, hitting 3 enemies spaced out and requiring them to make my save, but if they fail that 8d6 3 times which is 24d6. :^)
>>
Sadly I'm at work on a slow day and i left my materials at home. Does anyone have the collection of 3.5 books in pdf handy, or just the Eberron ones?
>>
>>49751159
At least someone understand...
>>
>>49750900
Hes making a joke. That is a feat that actually exists
>>
>>49751422
Yeah, tavern brawler, completely forgot about it
>>
Does anyone have http://www.dmsguild.com/product/172045/Oboxob-Demon-Lord-of-Vermin or the other conversions by the same guy?
>>
File: ohthepain.gif (3MB, 400x169px) Image search: [Google]
ohthepain.gif
3MB, 400x169px
Reading this thread as a person who genuinely loves the Monk class and it was also the first class that I ever played...

>inb4 muh weebs
>>
>>49751537
DnD hates monks, and that permeates to its fan base. Thank God I play Anima BF in where monks (taos) are freaking awesome, God hand ftw
>>
>>49751159
HA! you're the greataxe flail anon from a few threads ago. how did that turn out?

side note: my players are still in a video game mindset. constantly trying to figure out what I want them to do or will allow them to do. they're starting to think outside the box but they still need nudging.
>>
>>49751599
My last GM bragged about being role-playing friendly and all that shit but in reality was Raw as fuck, railroading, and with a closed as fuck mindset
>>
>>49751497
Nevermind, just found it on 7chan.
>>
TG, it's my birthday

Give me your favorite Bard stories as a present.

Please and thanks.
>>
>>49751537
Honestly dnd 5e is too simple to get monks right
>>
>>49751854
>

Also, I have a game tonight. Table probably doesn't know it's my birthday

Any suggestion for stuff I should do other than bring donuts?
>>
File: become the plant.gif (793KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
become the plant.gif
793KB, 400x400px
>>49751537
I feel for you. In the game I DM, we kicked up a new campaign at one point and out of the 6 players, the only one with any melee capability at all was the Monk.

I tried to balance it better for more ranged encounters, but he continuously charged into the thick while his teammates sat back plinking away. He ended up blaming the class because he didn't enjoy it, and I feel as though it's partially my class every time he shittalks Monk.
>>
File: Ooghie the Smith.png (761KB, 1264x5120px) Image search: [Google]
Ooghie the Smith.png
761KB, 1264x5120px
>>49751854
Stories about bards, or that bards would tell?
>>
>>49749557
Going to a character creation meeting for a new group later. First time i'll have played D&D in about 3 years.

I'm planning on making a pirate themed warlock who's made a pact with Davy Jones. I guess that'd fall under the old ones. Does anyone have any tips for me?
>>
>>49751854
Are you me? Well, not me, because my birthday was yesterday
>>
>>49751925

thanks, that's amazing

>>49751930

Happy belated birthday anon.
>>
>>49751912
>>49751537
I love martial artists, but DnD/Paizo don't even know which role give them
>>
File: Petyr the War Beagle.png (1MB, 1239x4819px) Image search: [Google]
Petyr the War Beagle.png
1MB, 1239x4819px
>>49751963
I've got a couple.
Do your bards tell stories, /tg/? I keep a folder so I can when I play them.
>>
>>49751967
They should occupy every role, dependent upon which style the player is using.
>>
File: 1432152654316.png (802KB, 872x659px) Image search: [Google]
1432152654316.png
802KB, 872x659px
>>49751854
Let me tell you about a bard named Roscoe.

Now Roscoe was a gentle soul,
Brave and nimble and capable.
And when he fell he did not caterwaul
for a job well done was Roscoe's call.

"Let me play my lute,
I'll thrash the bastard!
So far up his ass I'll shove my boot,
and with this dagger I'll slip past his guard,
And then I'll let out a fuckin' battle cry!"
Roscoe landed thirty-five killing blows with Vicious Mockery.
>>
>>49751912
>team has a tactic
>supertanky guy using tank abilities up front, giving it all out to tank and block enemy's path while sacrificing their own damage to keep others safe
>people sniping at range or ducking in and out
>that one little shitlord who then goes "Oh, I'm not doing my maximum DPS if I attack from back here.Time to charge in and - Oh. Sorry, can somebody heal me?"
>>
>>49749695
If you go by the book, legendary items are for levels 17-20.

>>49750816
But TWF is better, given it allows you to use magical weapons and you get +1 AC.

>>49751928
Don't be a bladelock.
>>
>>49752004
Being a tank is the least rewarding job ever, nobody ever recognizes your work and suffering
>>
>>49752031
Be a paladin.
>healer
>tank
>give everyone better saves
>use bless, etc

Have fun while the rest of your team:
>brags about their damage
>runs out of your aura and dies
>begs for heals, runs off and begs for heals again a second time
>keeps making themselves invisible so you can't even buff them
>speeds ahead of your slow ass, only to be reduced to mush by the time you arrive

At least crit smites exist.
>>
>>49751928
a multi class into swashbuckler rogue might serve you well if you're looking to really get into things, in which case bladlock would be "fun"

otherwise, go tome, take some storm magics.

if you're doing a high seas campaign hope and pray that there's a storm sorcerer
>>
File: brainstorming5point4eclassdesign.jpg (158KB, 1416x903px) Image search: [Google]
brainstorming5point4eclassdesign.jpg
158KB, 1416x903px
5.4e guy here. I think I'm dropping theater of the mind. It seems impossible to reconcile with more important goals. Here's some more brainstorming.
>>
>>49751928
...You know, I actually recall a long time ago some /5eg/ anon made a warlock pact thing just for something like that, it let you bind to a ship and cause spectral mist to form around it you could teleport in, and eventually cause the ship to submerge or fly for a short time. It was really good, but I didn't save it. Does anyone have that? Do we still have a /5eg/ homebrew receptacle it might be in?
>>
>>49752361
You're angering powers you don't understand... thousands of Critical roll fans.
>>
>>49751854
well, right now I'm playing a campaign with a halfling bard in it. thing is, he's like 14 and very innocent. my character is more of a classic knight type and cannot help but try to protect this child with all of her effort, while the party rogue is constantly trying to teach him how to steal and swear. he's constantly singing songs about his grandfather and about our own adventures and climbs on top of my shoulders to see over crowds. I'm just trying to teach him manners and to stay behind me but he's so damn brave. one day he gets hit with a crossbow and goes down and we don't have a healer and my fighter goes ballistic, murders everyone involved and throws their corpses out of the building as a warning. the whole party has in fact bent our goals towards making him happy and keeping him safe.
>>
>>49752361
Before you start introducing changes, you should draft up your vision and what parts of 5e need to change to accommodate this paradigm shift.

Because as it is, I don't see any reason for these changes. I don't understand the impetus.
>>
>>49752377
I like critical role though. Why would fans be angry at me?
>>
>>49752415
A lot of people introduced to the hobby through Mercer believe miniatures or even maps with squares are the devil incarnate.
>>
>>49751976
>Do your bards tell stories, /tg/?

Mine writes satirical rhymes, mocking the BBEG in taverns, or one of the other players if they're being naughty
>>
>>49752435
>>49752377
What the fuck are you smoking, who cares, and why should that matter?
>>
>>49752435
>One of the most popular and highest production streams doesn't use minis
...what? I've never watched it, but really, how is this? With their budget they could even run a screen/projector and roll20 esque engine.
>>
>>49752435
What?

I watched the first few episodes and I could have sworn they used a battlemap. I can't recall if they used minis or not, but I know for a fact Mercer had a giant map he drew on.
>>
>>49752450
Oh friend, you've never played with newbs have you? minis make combat so much harder and make it completely obvious the DM is fudging (which Mercer is famous for), You actually have to know how to play the game and the rules.
>>
>>49752478
Half of my group is eternally newbie. The other half has an actual grasp on mechanics and rules, so it's much easier to run a map for encounters that aren't as straightforward as single room and enemy and have them consult that instead of everyone trying to ask and remember where up to 6 PCs and up to...god knows how many enemies are.
>>
File: 54eideas.jpg (216KB, 1536x1334px) Image search: [Google]
54eideas.jpg
216KB, 1536x1334px
>>49752411
>>49752411
Sorry, that was in the last thread, though I've updated it.

Basically, I want to bring the best of 4e to 5e, and fix some balance issues along the way. That would make dming more fun for me.
>>
>>49752361
Stats higher than 20 discourages feats and encourages stat bloat in a way we don't really want.

Problem with invocations for everyone is that it takes uniqueness away from each class. However, it would be nice to see more 'here's a range of options' things.
>>
>>49752361
I still want that alphabetical weapon proficiency table baby
>>
>>49752522
Invocations for everyone adds to the uniqueness of classes, because the invocations themselves will be unique. That's my hope at least.
>>
>>49752478
>>49752435
Is this some sort of shitposting, or do people really think these weird things?
>>
File: apathetic frog.png (22KB, 159x205px) Image search: [Google]
apathetic frog.png
22KB, 159x205px
Man watching a Critical Role show makes me realize, you might go your whole life having one conception of how D&D "should" be run, then if you join or see another group and they play it differently, you are gonna be shocked.
I treat D&D as a board game, I do initiative even outside of combats, your turn you get a move action and a skill check, and your character can say something, go. The character moves and does a check, gets the result, they figure out something or do something, their characters says something cool/funny/useful, all the players are aware of this, then the next players turn, move and skill check and talk. Keeps the game moving based strictly on what the players actively choose to do on their turns, none of this drawn out DM narration cutscene, first player to shout something gets to control the game.

Man reminds of an absolute nightmare game I attended at a game shop, admittedly it was never going to work but still a shocker. The hapless DM was already running 5 players through a module and we additional 3 players try to join. The one Big Guy who thought he was the party leader just nonstop dictate to the DM what his character was doing, as soon as DM told him the result he just fired another "My character then does such and such". We all started in a burning haunted building fighting off ghosts, but it ended up with his character escaping, travelling out of town, entering the dungeon, exploring the clues, and opening the secret passage while... I guess we are all still stuck in the burning building for the last 40 minutes because none of us have actually had a turn to do anything?
>>
>>49752541
So, instead of just proficient or not, graded proficiency?
>>
File: 1475948478854.png (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1475948478854.png
77KB, 500x500px
>>49752575
> The character moves and does a check, gets the result, they figure out something or do something, their characters says something cool/funny/useful, all the players are aware of this, then the next players turn, move and skill check and talk. Keeps the game moving based strictly on what the players actively choose to do on their turns

This kills the DnD. I'm amazed your players even enjoy this. Alternatively, they just haven't experienced any other form of DnD beyond this autism.
>>
>>49752557
Why don't you search a certain content aggregator? I'm pretty certain >>49752575
is parodying one of the many posts about players who think Critical Roll is a atypical DnD experience.
>>
>>49752630
>content aggregator
Boy stop usin' them big words and try co-muna-catin' like a normal fella.
>>
I've been thinking of reducing the magic level a bit further down in my games, but add poison greases like the witcher has to specifically beat monster resistances and make a lot of the adventures tied to curses. Largely I kinda want to make crafting sort of useful considering about half my group took alchemy or herbalism.

I'm just not sure how to juggle between making things tedious and making things flavorful in terms of mat gathering; they would definitely not need mmo-grade quantities, but would probably still need to either explicitly keep a garden on hand or go make a few checks and hunt a few things. On the plus side a lot of the stuff would be typically stocked by most village wise folk if they'd just rather buy it.
>>
>>49752575
I played with a guy like that, GM also catered to all his shit, game was awful and I left to never return at the second session
>>
>>49752630
>>49752575
I really, REALLY hope that's a parody because if people seriously get 'shocked' seeing people roleplay in D&D rather than treat it like a strict wargame, I would die a little on the inside. Mercer's group is narrative-heavy, but they have had their share of drawn-out combat.
>>
>>49752612
>This kills the DnD. I'm amazed your players even enjoy this
Quite the opposite, it keeps the game moving and the players can get realativly more/quicker turns to use their character skills/abilities/features that they chose. I think that's the core of D&D, choose PC options and then use them to succeed.
I've played in plenty of games where the DM let everyone hem and haw in the town with their shopping list for hours chitchatting with some zero-consequence NPCs, or it's vague undefined dreamworld with no turn structure until the DM decides to let you see what happens next. THAT'S what kills D&D, not enforcing a consistent context, players mentally check out and bring out their phones because "let me know when it's my turn/ when something important happens".
>>
>>49751339
fuck you
>>
>>49752552
The over 20 stats definitely adds to power creep and bloat, because all that does is mean either everyone sacrifices feats or if you give them auto stat-ups then it just means everyone rolls higher for no real reason other than 'they are a higher level now'

The invocations I'm less sure on. Sure, it does do that, but invocations are just one way to customize a class.

Many classea have archetypes.
Warlocks have invocations.
Many classes have spell choices.
Fighters can choose from, say, being archery focused, grapple-focused, sword and board...

Each class plays differently, and offers unique features in their own ways.
If every class is just a different set of invocation options, it'd be a bit bland.

More choice without bloat is good, but try to make the choices more interesting for each class than if, say, all classes had fighting styles.
>>
Recommend me four spellseasons for a level 5 Hunter Ranger. I'm new at this and never done casters before.
>>
>>49752435
There are minis in literally every battle Mercer plans, complete with clear plastic towers for flying and spell template pieces for measuring AoEs. It's literally one of the most pro-minis stream there ever was.

Mercer even complains about not always having painted minis, and the other player's comment on the minis all the time.
>>
>>49752518
shut up
>>
>>49752361
>Cap above 20
You know you can still play Pathfinder or 3.4 if you want bloat.
>>
>>49752745
What?

People more often than not get "shocked" seeing D&D actually has rules and isn't a LARP. You see DM's complaining CR has ruined their group all the time.
>>
>>49752752
>Your players can't keep the game going unless you babysit them and force them to experience the entire world, all the time, in 6 second increments
>The only things characters can do are those they write on their sheet
>You can't find a happy medium between glossing over unimportant NPCs or finding ways to make them important by using them to convey setting details, plot hooks, humor, or incite reactions to help establish character
Anon, I...
>>
>>49752801
I kinda feel like we're being baited by a parody of how bad first time 3.5 DMs could be about the skill system.
>>
>>49752786
Why not reduce it to 10? Who cares the barbarian can't even lift his sword, the important thing is to reduce "big numbers"
>>
>>49752828
>I demand that characters be as powerful as gods
>Not allowing this is exactly the same as forcing everyone to be 10 everywhere
Congrats on being the dumbest person in this thread
>>
>>49752752
I dunno, my group really enjoys the social stuff. They willingly spent 3 hours drafting plans for the castle they captured, going into town to get hirelings and chatting up NPCs as they shopped around. They had a quest they could leave for at any point and they eventually did, but their choice was to roleplay.

Also, zero-consequence NPCs and undefined dreamworld? I think those are bigger factors in bad GMing than just 'roleplay and freeform is bad'
>>
>>49752828
>implying a barbarian couldn't hold everything he normally does with strength 10 in the current system
>implying the carry limit wouldn't be adjusted to suit anyway
>>
>>49752866
You could actually probably cut stats down to Saga's 1-10 numbers even, seeing how odd numbers haven't really done anything since 3rd edition (besides casting limits but that was retarded)
>>
>>49752859
>21 str is being a god
Don't tell me, you're 250+ lb and never did exercise in your life. Don't watch sports ever, you'll btfo with all those gods playing ball
>>
>>49752801
Obviously the game is divided up into "dungeon time" and "downtime".
None of this prevents the players from RPing their characters thoughts and feelings, or from NPCs having thinks to day.
I'm saying I've been burned by too many 4-hour long """D&D""" games where we never rolled any dice or used any game mechanics, never used any class features or resources.
Ideally the "story" of the game should be told by results of actions taken by the PCs, it's more immersive and meaning full than "be impressed by whatever the DM says happens next".
>>
>>49752786
I'm aware of the risks for adding to caps, that's why I want to separate everything into optional bounded accuracy tiers, where monsters and player characters in those tiers don't get harder to hit within those tiers, but present a seriously difficult threat to anything below them in the tiers.

This would mostly revolve around making new paragon level monsters, and new epic level monsters, along with class features for both tier of play. It would be completely optional to adopt.
>>
File: True Neutral.gif (1MB, 297x200px) Image search: [Google]
True Neutral.gif
1MB, 297x200px
This thread is pretty cancerous. I'm think I'm just gonna take a break for a while.
>>
>>49752866
Not him but with 20 weight limit is still low
>>
>>49752828
Yeah, you could easily work a 1-10 scale like Fallout's SPECIAL. What do odd numbers even do? Feats have requisites of 13, or give +1 sometimes. And armor requirements. And multiclassing. But those could easily be changed to an even number without breaking things, only making it slightly easier or harder to access, and half-feats are considered lame by many anyways.
>>
>>49752891
The actual interpretation of the stats leaves to be desired, the flavor of the stats is that anything over 20 is in the divine range.

I've also never been over 200 pounds and only near that briefly. Projecting bullshit to make your argument feel good says more about you than about the people you whine at.
>>
So what's all confirmed for that there Volo book? I'mma hearing kobolds got sort of confirmed at least.
>>
I love counters in melee but 5e doesn't have this kind of tactic
>>
>>49752907
Dice rolling is called when the players attempt something with a risk of failure. They are intended to be spurred to action by their own passions or pressing circumstance, and go out and undertake dangerous things. As it turns out, delving ancient deathtraps and fighting for your life require a lot of random determination of stressful/variable outcomes.
If players spend the entire session without rolling dice, and have fun roleplaying? Successful D&D day. Players spend the whole day rolling dice because they're in a situation where it's needed and have fun playing? Successful!
Only if the players are not satisfied with whatever happens is there a problem. If your players are sitting around with nothing to do, they either need to take initiative and pursue something that you can expand on and progress into, or you need to introduce conflict, depending on the nature of the party and how sandbox/linear the campaign is.
>>
>>49752930
>5e weight limit
>low
With 20 strength, you could lift even a really fat person with ease.

If you're a bear barbarian, you could lift TWO really fat people.

Pales a bit in comparison to high level magic, but, eh.
>>
>>49752885
Honestly, that should really be done.
>>
>>49752971
Battlemasters can do it, anyone who takes the Martial Adept feat can do it.
>>
>>49752971
There are a couple "counters" if you mean reactions that can be taken to parry or initiate a melee attack. Battlemaster has parry and riposte, Defensive Duelist feat lets you parry, Martial Adept feat gives you a maneuver, Sentinel feat lets you attack an enemy that attacks an adjacent ally, Polearm Master feat lets you attack an enemy entering your reach with a polearm, and anyone can make an opportunity attack when an enemy leaves their range. There are some other abilities as well.
Or are you trying to say you don't like them being limited behind feats and class options?
>>
>>49753079
There's also a feat that sort of does it (parry on reaction if you're wielding a finesse weapon) and a spell that's on the EK list (absorb elements) specifically for magic, but the first one isn't quite a hard counter.
>>
Wood Elf Outlander Bard, going into Valor or Blades, picking up Actor for that 16 and either Defensive Duelist or Sharpshooter, does it look like a serviceable Ranger alternative?
>>
>>49752577
Yep, there was a basic outline in the previous thread.

Maybe I'll draw up a rough draft of the table and post it, not that there was any demand for it.
>>
>>49753351
Yup, just take Swift Quiver at 10 and a level in fighter for Archery style and be a better ranger than your ranger.
Unless they're a new ranger, in which case you'll be better in certain ways, like shooting a bunch of arrows real fast and being social, but very competitive.
>>
>>49752450
That anon is a lying sack of shit.

Mercer has a shit ton of minis, has custom-built ones for the PCs, endorses Dwarven Forge, uses clear towers for height, and constantly talks about his mini collection/addiction.
>>
>>49753390
We're using the new ranger playtests with some houseruling (I'm not sure where our ranger player got expertise at 2 from but yeah), so it's more not wanting an all-ranger group than wanting to profoundly outshine a ranger.

I'm not gonna lie, if ranger got expertise and something similar to song of rest/inspirations I'd be all over it. Some sort of warlord ranger spec.
>>
>>>/x/
>>
How is College of Satire from the UA? I looked through it and it doesn't seem that bad.
>>
>>49751159
Just look for the closest RAW thing they want and give them a refluffed version of it.
>retractable dagger
Sure why not, you can already throw darts, and throwing darts are 5 copper, so a full ammo bandolier of throwing darts would cost hardly anything. If they want other mechanical benefits, such as being able to use the chain for other things, just make it a uncommon magic item 'returning throwing dagger' that they earn at around level 3 or with a gold investment.
>tiefling tail to wield a weapon
Sure, use your bonus action offhand attack while duel wielding and fluff it as your tail. You don't get three hands though, so no wearing a shield or a two-handed weapon plus tail.
>rope tied to greataxe to make a flail
Sure, just convert your heavy two-handed 1d12 slashing greataxe into a heavy two-handed reach 1d10 slashing halberd. No problem. You can't use it as a greataxe anymore.
>chain sword swing around
Sure, your shortsword is now a whip.
>>
>>49752756
Hunter's Mark, Ensnaring Strike, Spike growth, whateveright else you want.
>>
>>49753510
IIRC the general opinion is that it's probably overpowered but it sounds flavorful and good. Both UA Bard specs would probably stand to have a slight nerf on their inspirations.
>>
>>49753510
It's great for grappling mixes.

Imagine the sheer terror the enemy feels as a clown grabs one of their allies and then tumbles up a sheer wall with them into the out of sight rooftops.
>>
>>49753523
Thanks cheers mate
>>
File: Voldo.jpg (223KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
Voldo.jpg
223KB, 1440x900px
>>49753555
>Mfw
>>
>join campaign
>level 1
>paladin with great weapon master
>DM says "I tend to have less combat than other DMs"

How can I still contribute?
>>
>>49753598
No problem, also are you using the UA ranger?
>>
>>49753642
Every single DM that said that so far had been a filthy liar.

Also, use your background abilities and presumably high CHA.
>>
>>49753642
If your charisma isn'the shit you should be a good face.
>>
>>49753642
Tell your DM that you want more combat because your guy has good combat skills that you want to use.
>>
>>49753642
You only have as little combat as there is little evil you find.

Find the evil. You know what to do.
>>
>>49753642
Well Paladin is a nice auto-pilot RP frame of reference. Just CHA check everyone you meet.
Make sure your background is like "Folk Hero" or Noble" and bring that up if the DM doesn't let you toss your weight around.
You gotta make your own fun with these combat-light games.
>>
>>49753642
You're a paladin, everywhere where there is evil you have reason for combat. just force it
>>
Which is better for a fighter, great weapon fighting and a greatsword, or polearm master and a halberd?

Also, is there any reason to use any of the fighter subclasses that aren't battlemaster?
>>
>>49753642
Also
>taking great weapon master at level 1
>>
>>49753079
Once a turn, that's not counters, that at best counter, singular
>>
>>49753642
Any Cleric/Paladin is literally a fountain of RP, you should be welcomed into any village, people should flock to you for help.

Unless your DM is a atheist, in which case your fucked.
>>
File: TheFlash-1[1].jpg (386KB, 2996x1400px) Image search: [Google]
TheFlash-1[1].jpg
386KB, 2996x1400px
>>49752575
>Big Guy goes into quantum hyperspeed and has an entire adventure by himself during the 6 seconds of his turn
Maybe he's the flash and tapped into the speed force. Speed force being the DM's ability to narrate the world and warp reality just for him.
>>
>>49753766
In 5e you only get 1 reaction per round anyway.
So that's as good as you are going to get.
>>
So the other day i posted on here about alignment shift and if it was possible to make a demon become a holyman. I talked to my DM and he said he would allow it. I assume i wont be able to do it to a super strong demon/devil anytime soon since my cleric is level 6. but what would be a good way to go about trying to convert weaker demons? If it helps/hurts my cleric worships pelor.
>>
File: Untitled.png (102KB, 1800x1268px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
102KB, 1800x1268px
>>49753785
>>
>>49753786
Yeah and that's why I said you can't be good at counters in 5e. I'm used to systems in where you can counter as much as your enemies attack you, like in real life, 1 reaction a round kills this kind of character concept I like so much
>>
>>49753642
>I tend to have less combat than other DMs
>less combat
>playing D&Denise

I'm sorry but your DM doesn't know what he's doing.
>>
>>49749557
To thread question:

A sage observing natural forces and learning how to utilise their power for combat.

A roguish lad using his wits to survive.

A survivor of a orc raid with nothing to his name, focused on gaining power to be able to determine his own fate.

A merchants son seeking something more in life besides riches and pleasure.

A pirate/sailor who picked up his style because it's extremely practical on sea (running up the mast or across the water, catching and then returning projectiles).

A man seeking perfection and a way to immortality that doesn't involve becoming a lich(monks get the earliest form of immortality at lvl 21 if you exclude Ancients paladin/Random Sorcerer multiclass cheeze).
>>
>>49753836
Reminder that encounters aren't always combat
>>
>>49752518
Really, the biggest thing you need to focus on is bringing classes in line with each other. Then you need to focus on creating more opportunities for players to act every round, either through returning old class features or imagining new ones.

Enemy positioning is cool, but I've really grown fond of how 13th age handles it. Positioning is important in only 4 ways. If you are part of a group, adjacent, nearby, or far away. Defenders can intercept on the first 3 levels and controllers can basically choose which groups to catch in their abilities.
>>
>>49753825
>like in real life
>tfw you try to parry 4 goblins attacking you in a 6 second time frame

Cmon anon, don't try to bring an abstraction of reality into a realistic context. I'd understand maybe a second parry reaction but unlimited is just not ok.
>>
>>49753747
They do different things, greatsword if you want more damage, halberd for slightly less damage but good control and a reliable way to use your reaction outside of maneuvers.

Eldrich Knight is nice if you want enemies to not be able to hit you ever bar crits (get adamantine plate if you can), and auto-crits once you get improved war magic, but that only comes into play far too late. Champion isn't even worth looking at.
>>
>>49753825
>like in real life
>>
>>49753889
Watch a boxing match, in 6 seconds a dude can counter way more than once, or aikido. Of course in didn't mean fighting ogres and dragons
>>
>>49753864
D&D was made to be a combat simulator above all. If social interaction and exploration are your thing, you're better off playing a different system.
>>
>>49753825
>real life
>>
>>49753657
The what?
>>
>>49753880
I'll check into that positioning system, it might be a way to keep this theatre of the mind.
>>
>>49753825
There's a few spells that cause damage to attackers automatically when you get hit, but that's about it. Sorry anon =(
>>
>>49753923
Yeah, that's a one on one situation where everything is coming from a predictable location. Having to only worry about a single opponent is different than being up against more than one, which is why 2v1 fights are so lopsided.
>>
>>49753951
>there's a spell for anything you want to do as a martial but you can't
Why I'm not surprised?
>>
>>49749746
Yeas. Just use your mobility and high AC to bypass enemies that you don't want to face and focus on stunning your primary target.

Monks come in 5 different flavours:

Open hand - I punch you and you fly/are knocked prone.

Shadow monk - Telport all day long and master of stealth.

Way of the four elements - Fail at being a caster (dipping a level in druid nets you more).

Sun soul - I cast fist! Anyone say kamehamehaaaaaa!

Long death - A crowd of goblins? Free Hp for me! I am da spookiest! And >le stand up man! Never stay down.
>>
>>49753924
Categorically incorrect. There's nothing restricting you from role-playing
>>
>>49753973
Because the company is named wizards of the coast, not chads of the coast.
>>
>>49753984
Sure, just like you aren't restricted from doing anything at all. What is trying to say is that if you want to do mostly RP, there exist systems that are objectively better and support more depth for things like social interaction, exploration, and other non-combat endeavours.

Wanting to play D&D and making the choice to go for combat lite play is a questionable one. It is essentially hobbling yourself.
>>
>>49753982
Ive never seen sun soul or long death. are these in supplemental books or home brew?
>>
>>49753939
Yeah. Really, priority 1 should be smoothing out class balance. Biggest thing would be tinkering with the Rest system and what things should recharge on what rest. Wild Shape should be moved to long rests because it's dozens of Temp HP, but Superiority Dice should stay Short Rest or even on a 5 to 10 minute timer (as an example).
>>
>>49754029
Sword Coast Adventurer Guide.
>>
>>49753923
In D&D the "attack action" isn't neccessarily a singular swing of the sword, it might be a back and forth flurry of feights and thrusts that results in "6 Hit Point Damage", which again can be interpreted as the result of the 6 seconds of skirmashing.
>>
>>49754029
Sword coast guide, supplemental book, but more lore than anything. Very recommendable and the power level is the same as the PHB
>>
>>49754027
>Needing rules for social interaction
>Not just fucking talking
Wew lad
>>
>>49754045
But it's not a counter, what the opponent does in his attack doesn't affect what i do and viceversa, also I can't interrupt him with a counter more than once per round and only with certain classes
>>
>>49754058
If you're just gonna talk then why have numbers on your character sheet? Just play some diceless freeform.
>>
>>49753984
"Categorically" Dungeons and Dragons is a Combat Exploration game with some concessions to the possibility of negotiating is NPCs.
That's why the bulk of the rules are specifically on dungeoneering and exploration and fighting, with a side mention of backgrounds.
The roleplaying comes from playing the role of the Fighter, the Cleric, the Ranger, the Wizard, whatever.
>>
>>49754058
>needing rules for combat
>not just saying you kill the dragon
>>
>>49753825
A lot of char concepts can't be done in 5e, this is not about building what you want but building what it can exist in 5e.
>>
>>49754058
>needing rules to play a game
>not just playing a game

See how retarded your argument looks anon? Just go play free form or some shit, you seem the type.
>>
>>49754094
>>49754082
Apples and oranges. What autist needs to roll a die to talk to someone?
>>
>>49754079
There's already a mechanic in DnD for interrupting your opponent during his action. It's the opportunity attack from moving out of your reach, certain feats and battlemaster powers, etc.
If you're complaining that you can't take more than one reaction per turn, then your complain is a mechanical one. "realism" doesn't ever need to enter the picture. Ask your DM to homebrew a feat that gives you more than one reaction or something.
>>
>>49753939
>>49754031
You should make some kind of discord or IRC room to actually brainstorm this out instead of sporadic bursts. Or give this idea its own thread.
>>
When a game has more rules about combat than anything else combined, maybe it's because the game is combat focused
>>
>>49753935
This
>>
>>49754120
Now you're strawmanning it up bud. You use the system to tell you what's going on, not to determine whether you're successful in addressing a person.
>>
>>49754120
Just like how combat is abstracted, exploration is abstracted, downtime is abstracted, the social NPC interactions are abstracted.
That's why in the end it doesn't really matter exactly what words you the player say to DM, eventually if you want the NPC to do something you roll a CHA skill check to succeed or fail.
>>
>>49754120
Because your half-orc Barbarian shouldn't be more erudite than the bard just because the player is?
>>
>>49754120
Because if there's a risk of failure, you should roll a check. That's how the game is designed.
Mechanical trap on the wall. Sleight-of hand check to disable it or suffer a consequence.
Belligerent nobleman who won't cooperate with your request. Diplomacy check to calm him down or suffer the consequences.
>>
>>49754155
No...
PHB ranger
>>
>>49754090
>>49754094
>>49754120
The game is designed with the intent that dice are rolled when the outcome of an action is uncertain, and the skill of a character in that field affects that. Many characters have abilities that compliment their dice rolls and abilities to roll dice on in combat, which is very metered and has strict rules, since people are not knowledgeable about combat and it is easier/more fun to abstract that using the turn based, hit point based, AC based combat system.
However, everyone knows how to talk to one another, so portions of the game that are social are best spent by simply being social and recreating your character's speech via description or oration- as opposed to in combat where the abstracted system recreates their actions. In either case, when the outcome is uncertain, a die is rolled and modifiers added.

Tl;dr you don't larp in combat because it's hard, you talk because it's not hard if you're not a cunt, and you should still roll dice when relevant to reward investing in social skills/class options.
>>
>>49754127
It would be ok if everybody had one attack (you keep mentioning attack is a flurry of swings and blows but you still have several attacks, why?) because your only counter is actually a flurry of blows and swings, but it's not, is a single one for a single provocation, and except for battlemaster nobody else can do it to interrupt the opponent when he attacks you
>>
>>49754179
You poor fuck.
>>
>>49754179
You poor soul. May your character's death come swiftly, so that you can remake in a good, fun class.
>>
>>49754159
You don't get a fucking status bar when you're talking to someone, that's retarded

>>49754160
Nope, my GM only makes us roll if we do something that is a stretch, such as convincing a tavern owner to let us hide in his kitchen

>>49754164
That's fail RP

>>49754173
That's what I'm saying, but 9 times out of 10 he won't make us roll.

>>49754189
Investing in social skills is retarded, my GM hates that about PF
>>
>>49754191
Not him, but since combat is an abstraction, just fluff it as your character counter attacking when the enemy rolls his attack and misses, then on your next turn roll your attack and hit. Your AC represents that you parried and interrupted his attacks, and your own attack is the counter.
>>
>>49754189
What the actual fuck are you even trying to say?
>>
>>49754179
>lays roses at your feet
>>
>>49754221
>>49754194
It's not really that bad, take a hand crossbow and crossbow master and you can deal ~6d6+3×dex a turn after you hunter's mark.
>>
>>49754230
Yeah you have a shit DM. No wonder you were defending the other one, you just think shit is normal because you don't know any better.
>>
>>49754194
>>49754221
OK I'm gonna have to stop bullshitting then. I'm actually the DMX for the campaign and I am helping a player make a Ranger. We are noobs to this edition so what makes this a good alternative?
>>
>>49754240
I'm saying that the reason you should actually talk and RP instead of using completely rigid abstracted "social combat" rules is because you *can* easily talk through that. You can either speak in first person, or describe your character's intent and approach if you're uncomfortable or incapable of speaking directly. If the attempt is still uncertain, you roll a die and add your character's modifiers and resolve it.
Combat is heavily abstracted because it's more fun that way and much easier than actually trying to act through a life or death battle.
>>
>>49754285
The class features don't suck ass. PHB ranger is one of the weakest classes
>>
>>49754285
Everything about PHB Beasmaster is reworked to be better in the UA. That's all you really need to know, as the Hunter archetype is pretty ok on its own.
>>
>>49754285
The PHB ranger gets shafted in progression compared to everyone else.
>>
>>49754277
Not an argument.

>>49754289
This
>>
>>49754230
>status bar
What are you talking about
>stretch
Just like performing easy things with no risk don't require a skill check, but challenging things with a risk of failure do call for a skill check.
>fail RP
So what is mechanically stopping the hideous half-orc from impressing all the elf noblemen? Oh right, the mechanical -1 penalty on his Diplomacy checks for having 8 CHA and no proficiency.
>DM doesn't make us roll
Just roll for it anyway. Say your little RP conversation, and after a minute or two, just tell your DM you're going to convince with with persuasion and let him set the DC.
>investing in social skills is retarded
Welp. Sorry about your shitty DM and game.
>>
File: images.png (2KB, 240x210px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
2KB, 240x210px
>>49749699
>>
>>49754339
yissssss
>>
>>49754329
Spoken like a true rollplayer. Go back to PF you insufferable cunt.
>>
>>49754289
That is literally how the social rules work though?

You don't roll dice when you say hello to the barmaid to determine whether your voice cracked and she hates you from now on, you roll them when you try to persuade, intimidate or trick people.

And there ARE systems that handle social aspects better simply because 5e has such basic rules.
>>
>>49754339
Gross.
>>
>>49754372
Reminder that requiring rules for social interaction is literally aspie-tier
>>
>>49754366
Lol. Literally it's in the 5e rules under Charisma skill checks. I'm curious why you are so butthurt that someone would want to roll a persuasion or diplomacy check?
>>
>>49754366
>go back to PF
Is 5e now considered some enlightened revival of Storytelling Narrativism? lel its the exact same shit just with different +1s here and there.
>>
>>49754398
Enjoy your AOL chatroom then?

Maybe PnP just isn't your thing if you don't like structure.
>>
>>49750865
Make a martial arts-like Fighting style (call it "striking"):

Your unarmed strikes deal 1d6 bludgeon damage (it's strong enough but balanced).
On a hit you may use your bonus action to execute another unarmed strike.

You may add the line "you may use either your Std or Dex mod for damage calculation" but that will result in the Swashbuckler /Dragon Sorcerer dipping a level into fighter and become an even weebier monk.
>>
>>49754372
I know that's how the social rules work. I was defending them because some anon earlier said that they were a waste to invest in and that social combat would be better/more fair.

While some systems have different social rules, I enjoy 5e's. I know I can't use houserules or "what a sensible person would do with it" to defend the system, but it's always worked fine for me. Things like... I don't know... FATE's aspects are nice, but you get damned close in 5e when you just have a character that fits the class, and play to the character, and your DM gives inspiration from time to time.

Also, too many posts to keep up with, but;
To the people that think *all* you need to do is walk up to someone and say "I make a persuasion check to get what I want." you can fuck right off too, you need to at the very least give an idea of what your character is going to say. Compliment them, try to seduce them, ask about their day, try an accent, fucking something.
>>
>>49754398
>playing a bard with 8 CHA
>don't take performance proficiency
>tell the DM I'm going to earn gold by entertaining everyone at the tavern
>DM says to roll performance with my musical instrument
>I shouldn't have to roll for it LMAO what an aspie I just handwave it and say I'm an awesome rockstar and I make a million gold and the girls all want to suck my dick
>>
>>49754406
5e has a dedicated shitposting contingent who respond to any criticism of the edition by telling the critic to go back to 4e/pf/whatever

They are the reason edition wars last.
>>
>>49754456
Strawman, try actually explaining why requiring rolls is better than not.

If you gave me an actual argument, I'd be happy to listen
>>
>>49754456
Incorrect.
Now, an 8 Cha *anything* with the Entertainer background feature can. But that doesn't mean they're all rockstars. Maybe the wizard is using an illusion cantrip as a visual aide and teaching people some vaguely interesting esoteric science/magic/theory/story in a monotone voice. The barbarian starts up a rowdy party and gets everyone ordering another round. The rogue does knife tricks.
>>
>>49754127
I mean the real answer is play a fighter with the tunnel fighting style and a reach weapon, polearm master and sentinel
>>
>>49754490
All of which fail to impress the crowd as your offputting body language distracts from your display.
>>
>>49754486
Because if there's dramatic tension with a risk of failure, then rolling for it would improve the entertainment quality of the game because the risk involved will engage the players who made decisions about how they built their characters and what they choose to have their characters do.

Let's say the party needs to distract the mercs in the tavern while someone sneaks in a steals a valuable in one of the upstairs rooms. Who should distract them and who should steal the thing? Should the half-elf bard be the one maintaining their attention while the halfling rogue sneaks in? or the other way around?
>>
>>49754486
A character with high CHA and Deception/Intimidation/Persuasion/Performance proficiancy should have more success negotiating with NPCs than a character without those aspects.
You are respecting the choices the player made when he picked his race/class/skills.
>>
>>49754544
There you go, perfect. You get to pull off the mechanical gimmick you were aiming for.
>>
>>49754558
I disagree. To me and my group, the chance of failure is more fun when roleplaying with words, as in accidentally saying something to piss off a king or something like that.
Party faces are dumb, anyways
>>
>>49754553
-1 Cha isn't bad enough to prevent someone well practiced to perform their service, especially when they have some other quality with which to impress people. The wizard is making an Intelligence (Performance) check, while the barbarian makes Constitution (Performance) checks to guzzle pint after pint of hard stout against the betting and paying crowd, and the rogue makes Dexterity (Performance) checks for amazing dart trick shots.
>>
>>49754602
Except tunnel fighter is not official
>>
>>49754300
Well we are building hunter. Would abandoning the PHB version for the alternative hunter be worth it? Especially when we are running a lower power undead infestation campaign?
>>
>>49754618
it's also the weakest fighting style by a pretty good margin. if your dm doesn't accept it then they probably aren't any fun. at a certain point you are looking for reasons to be upset.
>>
I've been invited to a 5e campaign and thinking of what class to roll.

Playing 4e my favorite character to play was a Fey Pact Hexblade with a lot of emphasis on teleproting, invisibility and opportunity attacks.
I've heard bladelocks are quite weak in 5e and mostly just eldritch blast rather than go melee anyway, is there any way to build up something like 4e hexblade by multiclassing?
>>
>>49754610
So a player who can speak well in real life has no reason to stat his character with charisma abilities, since he gets to cheat and his character will be charismatic regardless. Does the physically strong player get to have his scrawny wizard lift heavy things and break stuff with his bare hands because he can do that in real life? Does the fat and slow PC automatically dodge attacks because the player is in real life a martial artist and argues he would have dodged it?
>>
>>49754611
Now, you see, in systems with actually well designed social systems those actions end up being combined charisma + (blank) checks.

But 5e has SIMPLE social rules, not good ones. So those performance checks are made however the DM feels that day.
>>
>>49754623
100% yes. the UA ranger is just more fun and feels more realized. it never really gets overpowered (aside from multi classing shenanigans) but it always has something to do. plus they have an option for specializing in hunting, tracking, and killing undead, and they've got a lot more to do during exploration. took ranger from being "unanimously the worst class" to "no real complaints" immediately.
>>
>>49754669
If your multiclassing then taking a few fighter levels and then going Bladelock works. You might also be interested in bladesingers.
>>
Ok I will rework it with my player
>>
>>49754674
This reminds me of going to Vampire LARPs where the scrawny goths all made combat monster Brujahs and Gangrels with maxed physicals, because if you were smart and reasonably attractive you could spend all night talking and engaging in intrigue and no one would call you out on your shitty social stats, but as soon as a fight broke out you needed Might, Puissance, and the Bomb to rip people apart, and you could just throw paper scissor rock at them all night.
>>
>>49754679
Any checks are made however the way the DM feels that way, because they're the game's referee. And you do combine them, in that you can be proficient in the Charisma skill Perform and in some cases use other ability scores with it. But if you think other systems do it better then that's just your opinion
>>
>>49754674
We play characters. If one of us made an awkward barbarian, ofc he wouldn't be convincing everyone
Characters aren't just numbers on a sheet of paper
>>
>>49754544
Didn't he want to be a martial artist or I mixed posts?
>>
Are there guidelines for balancing encounters where you have monsters helping the party? For example, would 4 level 7 adventurers be able to take on an adult dragon if they had a Gynosphinx on their side?
>>
>>49754800
He should just play a tunnel fighter and refluff it as martial arts.
>>
>>49754752
No no no, you're getting it backwards.

If you have 8 charisma and start spinning plates you're the freak at the talent show, if you start doing magic tricks you aren't David Blaine you're the autist who brought his magician's kit to school, and if you start a lecture you aren't Bill Nye the Science Guy you're the creepy professor that mumbles to himself.

Charisma isn't just your eloquence, it is the embodiment of how your character purports themselves in an attractive and likeable manner.
>>
>>49754772
My character is a brilliant scientist half-orc barbarian with 8 INT. He's the respected head of the research division of the elven university as a level 1 adventurer with the outlander background. He frequently uses his rage powers and ability to reroll damage dice on his greataxe to solve complex mathematical problems and create sophisticated inventions.
>>
>>49754852
Good thing those skills are enough to get you a free meal and bed for a night in any civilized place, since you've got a background as an Entertainer.
You may still be awkward, but your other skills are undeniable and you can make your way when people perceive them.
>>
>>49754810
>le play a full plated great sword wielding paladin and just say is a nude monk punching post
>>
>>49754809
Aren't Gynosphinxes like CR 7?
>>
>>49754937
Why bother to take the entertainer background? It's only going to give useless performance and musical instrument proficiencies, which the DM would never make you roll for anyway and are a complete waste. Any character can just walk into a tavern and entertain the people there will no roll regardless of stats, so you are wasting your background when you could have gotten valuable skill proficiencies like athletics.
>>
>>49754965
I mean it could work. The full plate bit is kinda difficult tho
>>
>>49754937
Yes, well, congratulations on finding a mechanical advantage in the cracks of a system's underdeveloped social rules.

I'm glad that bad rules that don't emulate reality are considered good so long as it benefits the PCs.
>>
>>49754965
Mechanically he just has a high AC. Maybe he wears heavy iron meditation beads like akuma.
>>
>>49754992
At this point you're just baiting
Nobody cares that you lost the argument
>>
>>49755013
Shouldn't Akuma have really bad AC since he has the lowest health among Street Fighter characters?
>>
>>49754992
Why bother to take the noble background? Any character can just walk into a court and beseech them if they're open.
Why take knight? Anyone can contract some followers.
Why take sage? Anyone can figure out where to find some knowledge.

Backgrounds aren't huge impactful mechanical features, they give you a taste of "roleplay mechanics" by not just suggesting you can do a certain thing, but because your character is used to it they can do it automatically.
Anyone can try to find lodging and food for performing, only an experienced Entertainer can faultlessly find such a place at level 1.
>>49755001
I'm glad that I don't consider is a bad rule, because it opens up more avenues for roleplay that can be worked with and made fun for the group if it's not a bunch of idiots intentionally breaking them because they can.
I don't think it's a bad mark on a system that it requires a basic and acceptable amount of player cooperation and competence.
>>
>>49755032
What argument? We already decided that RAW you are supposed to roll skill checks for things, but that only autistic asperger nerds would do that and instead you should just handwave everything because it makes the game more fun and you get to imagine your character better when you don't have to look at their stats or roll dice.
>>
>>49754992
>Any character can just walk into a tavern and entertain the people there will no roll regardless of stats

That's the whole point of stat bonuses you illiterate mongoloid. Some characters have innate talents that are represented by their ability score spread. The fact that the half elf is more charismatic than the halfling is reflected by the +whatever to Performance or Persuasion.
>>
>>49755063
Daigo seems to parry and block pretty well, so no?
>>
>>49754669
Wizard Bladesingers, Rogue Arcane trickster (maybe multiclassing both) or Valor Bard are probably your best choices for a tricky magical melee guy.
>>
>>49755105
Akuma also has the shortest stun bar reeeeee
>>
>>49755154
Daigo seems to dodge pretty well too. Maybe he only has low HPs?
>>
Is it mechanically possible to play a STR monk? Or do you have to be a Dex weenie to get the most benefit?
>>
File: 5e char sheet.png (311KB, 2480x3508px) Image search: [Google]
5e char sheet.png
311KB, 2480x3508px
Just started getting back into 5e and made a pretty minimal char sheet. What think?
>>
>>49755203
Strength is one of the worst ability scores, so, yeah, go dex
>>
>>49755203
No, not unless you worked out a new Path that made it viable.
You could run a Barbarian with Tavern Brawler and function, but they still do better with medium armor and a shield with that build.
>>
>>49755213
Wow, that looks like something from a fucking board game. Give me more squares with numbers.
>>
>>49755213
I would call them features since feats are something entirely different, and also you're gonna run out of space in that block soon, but otherwise that's pretty pleasing.
>>
>>49755220
You must not play with carrying capacity and item weight being tracked carefully.
>>
>>49755213
Doesn't really list all the important abilities. The skills are too hard to read at a glance. No space for things like spells and too much space for things like backpack contents.
>>
>>49755260
Or grappling
>>
>>49755260
>>49755278
Strength is used exclusively by classes that need to use Strength. If you don't use strength, you use dex.
>>
>>49755213
Isn't the point of a character sheet to have blanks the player writes things in? Unless you have some form fillable input device that generates a sheet.
>>
>>49755289
> exclusively
you might mean mostly
>>
>>49755251
Good points. Was going to move features to another page possibly and add more of this >>49755237

>>49755267
ty for input, what do you consider important? Was considering ordering skills somehow and putting spells on another page. Still quite new to D&D

>>49755302
yeah, I used indesign (for the first time) so I can change it, plus I was going to make a printable version
>>
>>49755289
>you either use Str or Dex in combat
Yes?
>>
>>49755102
The only thing charisma does is increase the hit chance of eldritch blast. When you talk to NPCs you can say whatever you want and the DM has to go with it, since it would be wrong for them to make you roll persuasion or diplomacy.
>>
>>49755289
No?

You still use those stats for their intended skill checks and derived stats.

You don't start lifting with dexterity just because you're a monk.
>>
>>49755367
No, you just don't lift. You leave that to the guys who have no choice but to use Strength.
>>
>>49755367
Which is bullshit, shoving/grappling/knocking prone are stuff martial artists do a fucking lot yet monk is shit at them
>>
>>49755379
The guys who are also better at melee than you
>>
>>49754800
one level dip in fighter.
>>
>>49755203
Probably at this point just play a barbarian and refluff it to be a monk. Your rage powers are just the dark hadou ki energy or something.
>>
>>49755383
Yes and martial artists do those because they don't have 8 strength in reality.
>>
>>49755361
Would you kindly shut the hell up already? The player describes their character's approach, either directly in the first person or by explaining their attempt. The player may not know how to talk someone into something word for word, but their character might, so they say "I try to convince him that he aught to come along with the caravan because it's safer for us to protect him."
As it turns out, the player having social skills could "unfairly" tilt odds in their favor, because they directly and personally know convincing ways to go about things.

Likewise, in combat, a player could be attempting to represent a seasoned tactician while they suck at wargames, leaving only the character's skills and abilities to represent that. Meanwhile, a better strategist could play a berserker and his actions could be mediated, logical, and brutally cunning.

It can't be helped, it's the game element of RPG. You need to stop pretending that you can completely forgo rolling all the time with your damned strawman, because rolls are always supposed to happen when the outcome is uncertain and dramatic.
>>
>>49755396
Finesse weapons pull weight perfectly fine.
>>
Do monster CRs count as player level in determinining how difficult an encounter is? For example if I have a party of 4 level 3 players, and then have a CR 3 monster helping them, does that count as being 5 level 3 players?
>>
>>49755404
>isn't our fault monk suck at martial arts, it's yours - wotc
>>
>>49755383
Open Hand can knock prone, and back, and disable reactions all right out of the box.
>>
>>49755442
No a CR level is supposed to be a little less than equivalent to a party of 3-5 of the same level. 4 3s and a CR 3 make 7-9 3s I think the math says.
>>
>>49755474
As long as it has ki, also there're more martial artists than OH monk
>>
>>49755383
I wish they had a grappling/shoving/prone archetype that let you use Dex instead of str for that, like judo n shit.
>>
>>49755442
No.
I'd say CR X is worth half a player of level X.
>>
>>49755457
I mean, they COULD find a way to make monk benefit from both, but that would be different from 3.5 and the other classes so it's verboten.
>>
>>49755498
I wish it were part of martial arts
>>
>>49755508
Sorry, meant other way round.
Player level X is worth half a CR X, so CR X is worth 2 players.
>>
>>49755495
Personally I think monks should be able to grapple and shove using Acrobatics, or at least Dexterity (Athletics), but it isn't so RAW.
>>
>>49755522
If they benefitted from str they'd be even more MAD.
>STR DEX for damage
>DEX WIS for AC
>CON for HP
>WIS for ki
>>
>>49754058
>Needing rules for lifting
>Not just lifting my sofa
>>
>>49755477
>>49755508
So how would you feel about a party of 4 level 7s with a CR 11 gynosphinx helping taking on a CR 13 dragon? Would that be too difficult still?
>>
>>49755498
Aren't Judo practitioners normally big muscled guys?

That's the one where you pick the guy up and hurl him to the floor, not the one where the little old lady flips the guy off a cliff with nothing but his own momentum and her ki.
>>
>>49755564
>Aren't Judo practitioners normally big muscled guys?
No.
>>
>>49755409
Why does everything have to be an autistic game with numbers and stats? You must have assburgers if you think talking to people is so hard that you need dice for it. Watch what happens when the players roll a 1 on the diplomacy roll. The DM will just say that they farted and you'll be embarrased. What about your precious dramatic story now, huh Mr. Rollplayer? And when they roll a 20 on that diplomacy check, does the king himself get down off his throne to give them a blowjob? Yeah right. You must be filthy rules-lawyer to even think of rolling persuasion checks. Go back to Pathfinder where you have to put points into being social instead of just automatically doing whatever you want in social encounters because you know how to do a voice and say words like in 5th Ed.

I actually agree with you and was just making fun of the other guy, so I'll knock it off.
>>
New Thread:

>>49755593
>>49755593
>>49755593
>>
>>49755546
I meant they could find a way to do it that doesn't make them shit.

Would just making them use both their strength AND dex for attacks even make them OP as is?
>>
>>49755564
Doesn't have to be, most martial arts use the opponents weight kinetic energy against himself.
>>
>>49755546
Make them use acrobatics instead of athletics, boom, done
>>
>>49755560
The math in the DMG says says a CR13 creature would be easy for 28 Level 7 players, Medium for 13, Hard for 9, Deadly for 6.

If you want a hard encounter then you are pretty right on the money. If you want it to be a little easier just up the damage of the sphinx.
>>
>>49755704
Here is the math:

10,000 XP for CR13 creature.

Easy difficulty XP per character: 350
Medium difficulty XP: 750
Hard Difficulty XP: 1100
Deadly Difficulty XP: 1700

10,000/350=28.57...
10,000/750=13.33...
10,000/1,100=9.09...
10,000/1700=5.88...

There you go m8.
Thread posts: 389
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.