[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you play the opposite gender? I'm currently making

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 108
Thread images: 11

File: image.jpg (142KB, 736x1282px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
142KB, 736x1282px
How do you play the opposite gender? I'm currently making a Paladin of war in pathfinder and I have no idea how to play a male character.
>>
It's not the biggest deal, don't overthink it and you should be fine.

Making them a good, fleshed out and consistent character should always take precedence over any particular aspect, and how their gender affects who they are, their personality and their place in the world depends very much on the context and setting they find themselves in.
>>
>>49741258
Just imagine someone as normal.. but paid a bit more.
Boom.
>>
99% of the time even a well-roleplayed character doesn't come off as one gender or another. I've had girls playing girls, boys playing boys, girls playing boys and boys playing girls. None of the resultant characters came off as strongly gendered.
>>
>>49741258
>Paladin
Just play them as chaste, and you're pretty much set.
Unless the character is sexually active, their sex isn't going to matter much in most games.

Games with more historical gender roles might. But most settings are a bit hand wavy when it comes to stuff like that.
>>
>>49741258
Think of a woman, then add reason and accountability.
>>
>>49741258
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>49741258
A male character is pretty much a female character except with a dick and no tits. Everything else about them simply falls under 'Characterisation', which is largely gender neutral.

What I am basically getting at is that there are a great many more important character traits than gender. Focus on those instead.
>>
>>49741258
Respond to everything with either irrational violence or cold reason. Sometimes with both simultaneously. Also boast all the time, especially in the presence of female npcs
>>
Practise your voice.
>>
File: 709.jpg (4KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
709.jpg
4KB, 225x225px
>>49741340
>>
File: helovesit.jpg (41KB, 600x791px) Image search: [Google]
helovesit.jpg
41KB, 600x791px
>>49741258
>How do you play the opposite gender?

Your asking social outcast neckbeards on a japanise image forum?

The only advice i can give you is that women seem to be motivated by finding a partner whereas men are just motivated by treasure and status, and if you can punch a guy on the way there.

But in my opinion, noone does this good.
>>
>>49741258
This is one of those questions you could answer your fucking self if you put five minutes of focused contemplation into it and maybe a google search. Just take a your own mindset and take away some of the drive for sex, add some more drive for social status, reduce how set and stagnant you are in your ways, and for once in your goddamn life try to understand other people.
>>
File: 1430421623555.jpg (36KB, 346x406px) Image search: [Google]
1430421623555.jpg
36KB, 346x406px
>>49741340
>>
Hmm. OP, depends on what kind of man you want to play. If you want to go super-stereotypical, remove a chunk of 'emotional intelligence', remove some consensus-building, add some decisiveness.

Women like to, well, I'm not sure there's a good way to put this beyond how I know how to put it. I call them 'catty bullshit games.' That kinda stuff is sorta the female dominance game. The more stereotypical masculine version is what you'd probably refer to as 'chest-thumping bullshit.' Dominance games for men are a lot more physical. If you want to play a rock-hard alpha-male type, which I think is somewhat suggested by your class choice, here's a coupla links to describe dominant body language. Some (but not all) is male-oriented.

http://learnbodylanguage.org/body_language_dominance.html
http://changingminds.org/techniques/body/dominant_body.htm
http://psychologia.co/infographic-body-language-of-men/

Another good place to look is for images of the gate guards at the 38th parallel in Korea, iirc both the NKor and SKor guards use the same stance.

So, to sum up, be loud, conversationally aggressive, take up a lot of personal space, and invade the personal space of others as you care to. Always act confident, even if you have to fake it. Macho posturing and all that.
>>
>>49742524
Don't do that
Seriously it's not called playing a male character, it's just being obnoxious.
>>
>>49741340
You have OCD and possibly antisocial personality disorder, I don't believe you are in a position to comment.
>>
>>49742524
Don't forget to manspread when you're sitting on the party's wagon, too.
>>
>>49742576
Hmm, showing dominance by attempting to dominate the conversation really is something that carries over between gender. (Although nobody really seems to complain or find it out of the ordinary when women greet someone with a hug.) It's not always being obnoxious, although it can be.
>>
>>49741258
>>49741258
Do you understand what pride is?

Other than having pride, the only difference basically comes down to doing things the quick way if you can, the right way when you can't. Make your decisions quick, it matters more to have a decision than to be sure it's the right decision.
>>
>>49741329
He clearly said male, not female, anon.
>>
How to play a female as a male.
>>
File: grampa.jpg (242KB, 849x1200px) Image search: [Google]
grampa.jpg
242KB, 849x1200px
>>49741258
Culture will generally be a key factor here. What are the gender relations like in your character's home nation? Is it fairly close to now? More egalitarian? Less?
That will determine a lot about how he thinks of himself. All cultures have a definition of what an "ideal man" is, and your characters' relation to his gender will be determined by this.
In the modern world, there are countries where men are permitted to openly display affection and ones where it is discouraged. It is very common in some places for men to embrace, kiss cheeks, and even hold hands with men who are not lovers or close relatives, while in others a perfunctory handshake is the norm and a hug is something reserved for very close friends and special circumstances.
It's interesting to note that in general, in cultures where men are not supposed to display affection this rule does not extend to pets and so animal ownership is very common. There seems to be a rule that, while a man ought not to make a fool of himself by gushing about meeting one of his friends, it is always perfectly acceptable to heap praise and affection onto dogs.

As other anons have said though, think about your character's traits and let gender inform them, rather than let gender define your character's traits.
A male spellcaster coming from a society where spell casting is "women's work" is going to have a different attitude from one who comes from a society where both genders study magic, but they might both still be defined by a flamboyant sense of style, for example.
>>
>>49741258
Play a goal-driven woman who doesn't give a shit about looking pretty. You are accustomed to being Right, nine times out of ten. Don't go out of your way to offend people, but don't care overmuch if you do, because it's their fault for willfully misunderstanding your intentions if it happens. On the other hand, if someone irks you, you let them know immediately as clearly as you can, no passive aggressive bullshit. If they want to make amends, fine, let it go. If they don't, settle the matter immediately and decisively, no long term grudges if you can avoid it. Never imply or hint at anything; just state the facts, according to how you see things.
>>
>>49741329
Not only pay gap is a myth, in fact young women get paid more than young men
>>
How do you play the opposite sexuality? I'm currently making a white male Human Fighter in pathfinder and I have no idea how to play a straight character.
>>
>>49742930
Source?
>>
>>49742965
not him, but there are dozens of well sourced videos on youtube, one google search away.

Here's the short version. Girls aren't going into STEM. They go into less skillful/intellectual positions, and those positions pay less. Men are doctors, women are nurses. On top of this, they have a larger role in child rearing, which pays in happiness not in money. They take huge chunks of time off for maternal leave, and then seek out positions that let them be home every day at 3 to pick up their kids from school. Those jobs pay less than the ones where you sit there till 6pm. And that's not touching on manual labor.

It fundamentally makes no sense in a free market that women even could get paid less for the same work. If that were true, men would never be hired, because every company would love a 30% cut in payroll expense.
>>
>>49742965
That pay gap is a myth you shouldn't even need source nowadays, you can look it for yourself, the famous statistics of the 79 cents doesn't take into account countless factors like education, possition, studies, age, etc. If you take this into account the pay gap is nonexistant, in fact, women between 20-40 yo earn 1.1% more than men of the same age.
>>
>>49743096
Sorry, meant 20-30 yo
>>
>>49741340
>>
>>49742946

do it in the front bum
>>
>>49741342
>>
>>
>>49743044
>>49743096
>No Source
>Youtube
Real convincing there, anons
>>
>>49743579

Back to tumblr, faggot.
>>
>>49743579
So someone who works less and in less paying fields gets paid the same as someone who works longer hours in STEM fields? In what world does sound logic need a source.
>>
>>49743579
>Stay at home moms are counted in the original survey
That should tell you something.
>>
>>49742872
Pretty much this, actually. I mean, character to character things change, but this is the stereotypical male psyche.
Also
>Compliments are genuine unless made apparent otherwise
>Insults are sometimes used for terms of endearment
>>
>>49741258
I play female characters all the time

It's not that difficult, they're just a character
>>
>>49743579
>Women get paid 79% of men's earnings
>Misteriously enough companies don't massively hire women only
Let me guess, you didn't finish mid school
>>
>>49743784
That's bullshit, though. Holding grudges for half a century and being a passive aggressive grumbling dick is absolutely a man thing, stereotypically.
>>
>>49744535
>Holding grudges indefinitely
>Being passive aggressive as fuck
>Not archetypical female traits
What?
>>
>>49744446
Don't you know? Everyone in business is a huge sexist, even the women. Alternatively men work harder and are worth the extra 20% it costs to employ them.
>>
>>49741342
Pls be in London.
>>
>>49744572
He's not wrong. It might depend on your definition of "passive-aggressive", but plenty of guys say things like "Sure! I'll clean out the drive way. Not like I have anything better to do..*angry noises*."
Women tend to be subtler about it, and tend to use it in place of straight telling someone to fuck off, but it's still something we both do.
As for holding onto a grudge, yeah that's a universal one too. I think the biggest difference (socially, in the west) is that men tend to simply avoid people they dislike, while women often feel obligated to still socialize even with someone they think fucked them over.
>>
>>49741258
First off, ignore all the fags saying to make a male character.
If you actually want a good masculine role there are plenty of archetypes to take up, same goes for feminine.

Stop telling her to make a blob. Gender matters.
>>
File: 1472051920965.png (379KB, 522x522px) Image search: [Google]
1472051920965.png
379KB, 522x522px
>>49741340
>>
>>49744768
There's an old proverb: Men forget but never forgive, women forgive but never forget.
>>
>>49741365
The charecter can also be genderless which sounds kind of cool.
Meaning the paladin wears heavy armor the covers his/hers entire body and changes the voice of the user to a Batman voice or just doesn't talk much.
>>
File: 1476086749566.png (77KB, 198x315px) Image search: [Google]
1476086749566.png
77KB, 198x315px
>>49744904
How long until we discover Goblin Slayer is actually a pretty girl?
>>
>>49741258
Literally just make a normal character and then swap the male/female bit on the character sheet.
Even if you think that most males and females naturally tend toward different attitudes and behaviours, you'd be blind to deny that that there are countless exceptions in both genders, so you playing (in OP's case) a male character acting, as you see it, as a female, is a totally plausible thing for a person to do.
If you really can't get the dicks out of your ass and somehow can't play a character of the opposite sex (because your character's sex has no reason to come up in a game often anyway), just play a character with the same sex as yourself, easy, done.
>>
>>49743579
Go find the largest (optionally) vaguely phallic-shaped object in your house and shove it up your ass where you keep all of your opinions.
http://pastebin.com/jyPvx95t
>>
>>49741258
>that tiny codpiece
>>
>>49741258
Watch a movie or TV show with a male lead.
So, all of them.
>>
>>49744853
So much this.
>>
>>49745208
>that butthurt
>>
>>49745156
Basically. Most distinctions are an "on average" or "based on social background" which doesn't matter to your character.

There are functional physical differences between males and females, but most that you see around IRL are because of culture and not ingrained biology. Like hair length, or interest in video games.
>>
File: Bait.jpg (23KB, 478x373px) Image search: [Google]
Bait.jpg
23KB, 478x373px
>>49741329
>>
>>49741329
Gonna go ahead and call bullshit on that one.
>line cook barely makes $100 a full shift
>waitress can get $500 during half a shift
Fucking undeserving cunt.
>>
>>49745156

Please ignore this cuck. Designing a character with zero relation to masculine or feminine ideals in society is always shit.

Gender is not a switch you flip on and off.
>>
>>49748073
If you think your gender is stopping you from waiting tables, think again, it's actually your antisocial views and autism
>>
>>49744572
In the rural area I grew up in, there were two very common last names, because those two families had been around since forever. For the longest time, I didn't know that a bunch of people sharing the same last name were actually the respective families of two cousins, because the two sides no longer talked to each other since almost half a century because one of them had married "wring", and the other's father had been super mad about it.
>>
>>49749756 again
Fuck my phone. "wrong", obviously
>>
>>49745044
Considering "Japan", not long...
>>
>>49749585
Tits get tips, it's a simple truth
>>
>>49741258
>It's another 'I'm a woman, give me attention.' thread
>>
>>49749756
That's not so much people holding grudges, but training their children to believe an alternate version of reality. At that point it's a religion
>>
>>49741329
>makes a joke about pay gap
>MRA fedora tippers immediately pounce at him
Can't make this shit up pham.
>>
File: CPIggNLWoAAXw3J.png (30KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
CPIggNLWoAAXw3J.png
30KB, 400x400px
>>49741258
>>
>>49741329
This thread is a good model for a male character.
>>
>>49741258
don't do it at all, play your sex. fucking weirdos
>>
File: image.jpg (85KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
85KB, 960x720px
> 4chin
> gril
> want to "roleplay" as male sex
>>
>>49753532
you know, that picture gave me a boner...(almost)
>>
+4 str
>>
>>49743096

Aight, no bullshit. If a business could save 20% on salary and get the same amount of output by hiring all females, they'd do it in a heartbeat, but that doesn't happen, so one of two things are true. 1, women aren't paid less for the same job or 2, they don't work as hard. Pick one.
>>
>>49759530
3. employers have non-financial reasons for hiring male employees
>>
>>49760506
What non-financial reasons could a megacorporation with an HR department larger than some small towns have to hire one sex over the other?
>>
>>49760506
>corporation
>non-financial

At that scale, it's all financial.
>>
>>49760621
They're closeted homosexuals who only see women as wombs to create more dudes with. Same reason they don't like trans women.
>>
>>49763308
Giant corporations do not have sexual identities and are not concerned with breeding.
A PR department that consistently overpays employees is a PR department that gets replaced through the whims of stockholders who only see raw numbers.
>>
>>49763384
HR, not PR.
>>
>>49741340
I wish I could laugh like you guys.. but unfortunately I'm a drug addict with depression and obsessive tendencies. On the bright side thought I'm 190 lbs at 6'2 with almost all that weight being muscle. So it's not all negative..
>>
>>49745208
Jesus fuck, all those sources. Thanks Anon
>>
>>49741258
You take a woman and add reason and accountability
>>
>>49743579
It's been illegal since the *sixties* to pay men and women different wages for the same position in america. It is literally a *law*.

Providing they're in the same position, with the same qualifications and generally the same amount of time in the job / experience, they get paid the same.

Women tend to take more time off, work less overtime and make non-career oriented choices like having children. It's not a pay gap, it's an *earnings* gap.
>>
>>49764115
this is a sad post.
>>
>>49741258
I think the difference you're looking for is here.

Guy wants to play girl, guy goes ahead and plays girl.

Girl wants to play a guy, girl asks guys who don't know how to play girls but who'd play girls if they wanted however they felt like it without asking girls how to play girls how girl should play guy.

To answer your question OP:
Adopt the attitude of being someone of the something who wouldn't ask someone of the opposite something how to play someone of the opposite something when someone of the opposite something doesn't know enough about the something to clearly define how someone of the opposite something is different to someone of the something to make any comparison by that someone of the opposite something between someone of the something and someone of the opposite something helpful enough to offer someone of the something any insight into playing someone of the opposite something.
>>
>>49743096
Isn't that the conclusion of the study, though? Hasn't it always been that women have less opportunity (ie not offered higher paying jobs or promotions) to make money, thus the gap? Specifically in employed persons, too.

I mean I guess if your argument is that they all choose to have less lucrative jobs that stands as a point, but really if you're woefully ignorant of the glass ceiling concept.
>>
>>49764842
It's a Jack Nickleson joke.
>>
>>49741258
I've never encountered a difficulty playing a character of the opposite sex. Most guys spend half of their lives chasing after women, you get a pretty good feel for them after a while. I imagine it is the same with men. Perhaps moreso, women are supposed to have more empathy then men, understanding us should be easier for you than the opposite.

In general, men are just looking to discharge themselves. I don't mean that sexually, it applies to everything, it's an instinct. Men have a desire to bash themselves against things until they "win," it's something we evolved for. Most of us spend our lives finding an easy bash-reward-bash loop to keep the monkey that lives in our braincases satisfied. As long as the monkey is satisfied, we are capable of thinking about things in further depth, but unless the monkey has bashed something today, nothing occupies a man's thoughts except looking for something to bash.

Some guys work out. Some guys hunt chicks. Some guys play MtG. It's all the same instinct, really. The desire to pursue an end, accomplish it, and then be happy for the rest of the day.
>>
>>49765468
Hiring discrimination is illegal. There are entire government programs dedicated to putting women into high-paying jobs. Hell, even Donald Trump's corporation has been run by a woman for the last ten years or something.

The phenomenon as a whole is better explained by women pursuing jobs with more free time, less stress and more flexible hours than by discrimination. It holds true in companies run by women, even in Israeli Kibbutzes which have near-total gender equality.

Men have strong cultural and even biological incentives to seek high paying positions regardless of the stress. I find it very difficult to believe that in the highly educated (and highly progressive) fields of medicine, academia and law that there are people actively discriminating against women. Especially given that like 90% of HR directors are women.

Read COMSAD study, I think it was from 2009. They winnowed the discretionary pay gap (the one that could actually be the result of sexism) down to about 3 cents on the dollar. So it does exist, but it is very, very small.
>>
>>49765581
>97 cents
I actually read is not even 99 cents
>>
>>49742524
>all this bro-science tier bullshit sites
wow, and I actually thought I could have learned something from them.
>>
>>49745798
my gf likes orange is the new black and superwoman, I don't think those are the examplea you are looking for. Or most korean sopoperas.

Maybe the show you wanted to suggest was Bazinga theory.
>>
>>49741258
Think "POLICE OFFICER" and walk.

Also random erection guyse.
>>
>>49741258
Set a stopclock at 20 random intervalls
You get horny during those times in the 2 hour session.
But you do not act on it because you're not that guy.
Welcome to our world.
>>
>>49765581
>Men have strong cultural and even biological incentives to seek high paying positions

It's why female ants are queens and workers and male ants are airforce fucbois, yes. Becoming a pilot is so much more challenging than keeping a nest going after all.
>>
>>49741258
Subtle.
>>
>>49767331
>washing the dishes is hard work
>cleaning up is hard work
>every bachelor who lives alone ever has to do the same
>hurr durr women have it hard and men can't understand it
nigger move the fuck out of your mother's basement, keeping a flat clean isn't fucking hard
>>
>>49741258
As a rule, men tend to be proactive. They'd rather do SOMETHING, even if they aren't sure in what it is.

Men prize stoicism, ambition, confidence, decisiveness, and equality of means, usually. Being emotional is seen as weak or even contemptible in other men and usually in one's self. Men prefer to be the actor, not the acted upon. If wronged, they will try to reclaim actor status as cultural mores allow. Victimhood is synonymous with weakness.
>>
Assuming you aren't going to be derp evil I'd say dont take shit from no one but that doesn't mean that every, if not most, infractions must be met with sword in hand. Combat is also a good way to relieve stress and can get a lot of tension out of you and whoever you may be at odds with.

Pleasantries are kept to a minimum when dealing with other men and it's usually business as usual or banter talk. Insult those you are close to with extreme prejudice but with a smile, and save compliments for when you really mean them.

Apologize only in the most extreme circumstances as usually self-degredation, not skulking/pouting in the back, or just admitting you were wrong are enough to warrant you back into the fold.

And always, grab them by the pussy.
>>
>>49767331
>Becoming a pilot is so much more challenging than keeping a nest going after all.

Forget about dealing with the amount of physical stress on the body let alone the dangers of flying in an actual war zone, those dishes and dusty bunnies are fucking killers. I mean, what about the piles of clothes that also need to be done over the course of a few days?! Not only that, but you have to actually wait till that layabout pilot comes home now the god damn lawn or finally take the trash out.

Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>49767331
Eusocial insects aren't really a good point of comparison for mammals, especially socially complex ones. Most insects are believed to be barely more than biological robots.

Also, queen bees and ants don't 'rule' anything. Bee hives especially are more or less direct democracies, with hive behavior decided by consensus between drones. Queens exist solely to breed.
>>
>>49767559
They're state-forming, their males all choose high-stress occupations by genetics. It 100% checks out, I have no idea what your issue with the argument is.
>>
>>49767331
>queen bees
literal fucktoys
>>
>>49767637
Fucktoys don't work in construction, unless they also work for Coke light.
>>
>>49742946
Less promiscuous with greater emotional investment in a lover in a very general sense. Roles tend to be well-defined: they might not be traditional, but a man and a woman tend to have their respective 'turf.' Straight men tend to blame both offending parties in infidelity, where for some weird reason women blame the other woman.
>>
>>49765541
This is 1000% accurate.
Thread posts: 108
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.